• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my CPU issues weren't CPU but were network(The game I was playing would have what appeared to be FPS lag, but the way that game functions, it was really my network spiking). A quick reset to the modem solved that. So now I'm looking at SSDs, this one specifically-

MX100 512GB for 199

Now unfortunatley I don't have a microcenter near me. So I'm looking at Newegg, and these 2 deceptively similar MX100's are priced differently-

$199

$259. Looking closely, it's shipped from Asia?

Anywho, my question is-Is this a good SSD? I see it in the recommended list. The price is damned good for the space.

Another question-When I replace my HDD, I'll have to install Windows on it, correct? And all the drivers I assume. (Haven't replaced HDDD in 4 years so...yeah, sorry for the questions.)

LilJoka

So my CPU issues weren't CPU but were network(The game I was playing would have what appeared to be FPS lag, but the way that game functions, it was really my network spiking). A quick reset to the modem solved that. So now I'm looking at SSDs, this one specifically-

MX100 512GB for 199

Now unfortunatley I don't have a microcenter near me. So I'm looking at Newegg, and these 2 deceptively similar MX100's are priced differently-

$199

$259. Looking closely, it's shipped from Asia?

Anywho, my question is-Is this a good SSD? I see it in the recommended list. The price is damned good for the space.

Another question-When I replace my HDD, I'll have to install Windows on it, correct? And all the drivers I assume. (Haven't replaced HDDD in 4 years so...yeah, sorry for the questions.)

Get the cheaper one, the other is sold by a 3rd party.

Yes you will need to install windows and a few drivers. What are your specs?

Sarcasm

Does your current headset's microphone already have noise cancelling capabilities? When I get tired of using my headset, I just hang the headset around my neck to still use the headset's microphone and use my speakers instead for sound.

Think so I really don't know. It is a wired logitech g something.

Raide

I bow down to the SSD gods.

Amazing how much of a difference a nice SSD will make to a PC.

New system is feeling nice and speedy.

Get the cheaper one, the other is sold by a 3rd party.

Yes you will need to install windows and a few drivers. What are your specs?

GT 760 Evo, 8 Ram, Corsair power(Uhhh...it's a big one. Been a while). CPU is Phenom Black II 4 core, current HDD is a Seagate...4 year old seagate that somehow works still, with about 4-5 fans, uhhhh...yeah. That's the important stuff.

I upgraded the graphics card a year and a half ago, CPU I recently did a full clean/paste reapplication, got new ram around the time of the graphics card, the only parts I haven't replaced are HDD and power unit.

So I ran Prime95 for about 3 hours last night, no issues and temps in the 60s. Shut down the program and left my computer on and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and when I tried to wake my computer from sleep it wouldn't send a signal to the monitor. I held down the power button and restarted, booted up and got to the loading windows screen and monitor signal cut out again. Could this be happening from the overclock?

I restarted again, went into bios and checked all my settings again, exited and it booted up fine with a monitor signal...weird.

Could this be a sign of instability? I also did have to take everything out including my motherboard to install the Evo 212 (Lian Li case tiny back window grrrr), is it possible that I may need to reseat my GPU?

For now I turned the sleep function off in windows power management.

Chinbo37

I dont follow the GTX 970 drama so closely, do we ever have a final verdict on performance?

I was thinking of replacing my GTX 680 and given that people are giving up their 970s, you can already find some deals online. If I use it for my HTPC hooked up to a 40 inch 1080p TV, can I just consider that it is a good 3.5 gig card that would replace my 680?

Or are there other concerns to think about?

reKon

Banned
It's not as though Samsung has a bad track record with SSDs or flash memory, and the problem with the 840 was a firmware issue that was fixed easily, where data left sitting on the drive for over a month wasn't being properly refreshed and read speeds suffered hugely. No one reported any data loss at all attributed to that problem.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason not to trust the 850 Evo. Even the 840 Evo is still a decent buy (at the right price), although it's been largely replaced by the 850 Evo which is now cheaper and better.

As LilJoka said, the controversy's resurfaced. In TechReport's testing, speeds were as slow as 35MB/s.

I was hoping there was a popular 1TB drive I could trust, I wish the MX100 didn't top out at 512GB.

Hey guys, looking to build a PC in the next moth or so. Have we really reached a verdict about this gtx970 issue? I was planning on starting with 1 970, and upgrading to a second for VR SLI once the Oculus comes out. Right now I've got a 27" 1440p monitor. I'm not exactly against AMD, but I've always had Nvidia cards, and the VR SLI sounds really promising.

Advice?

mkenyon

Banned
Don't buy a single GPU with an eye towards buying a second for SLI later on down the line. Unless troubleshooting is second nature to you, and you enjoying tinkering with stuff to get it running right, this is almost always a bad decision.

Wait until you're ready to go for VR SLI, and buy the cards then. Prices will be lower, and there may even be new cards by then.
So I ran Prime95 for about 3 hours last night, no issues and temps in the 60s. Shut down the program and left my computer on and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and when I tried to wake my computer from sleep it wouldn't send a signal to the monitor. I held down the power button and restarted, booted up and got to the loading windows screen and monitor signal cut out again. Could this be happening from the overclock?

I restarted again, went into bios and checked all my settings again, exited and it booted up fine with a monitor signal...weird.

Could this be a sign of instability? I also did have to take everything out including my motherboard to install the Evo 212 (Lian Li case tiny back window grrrr), is it possible that I may need to reseat my GPU?

For now I turned the sleep function off in windows power management.
Sleep and overclocking rarely mix. Just disable sleep, and turn off your computer instead.

In the ~15 years I've been building PCs and overclocking them, I've never had a system that was OC'd which could go into sleep. Once SSDs came around, I quit trying though.

Don't buy a single GPU with an eye towards buying a second for SLI later on down the line. Unless troubleshooting is second nature to you, and you enjoying tinkering with stuff to get it running right, this is almost always a bad decision.

Wait until you're ready to go for VR SLI, and buy the cards then. Prices will be lower, and there may even be new cards by then.

Sleep and overclocking rarely mix. Just disable sleep, and turn off your computer instead.

In the ~15 years I've been building PCs and overclocking them, I've never had a system that was OC'd which could go into sleep. Once SSDs came around, I quit trying though.

Thanks man. I googled the issue and found lots of similar posts. I'll just disable sleep and shut my PC down, not a big deal.

Idba

This is my current build but I'm not sure on what CPU is should use. If anyone got any suggestioins that are 1300 kroner~ish I'd appreciate it and any other feedback on the build.

GPU: XFX R9 280
Mobo: Asus H97M-E
PSU: Cooler Master G550M
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Case: NZXT H230
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Also I'll probably buy and build the PC in a month or two during the holiday sale.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Got around to taking a pic from the new build last night. Pre-cable management:

c7fXv0r.jpg

Final specs:

i7-4970k
GTX Titan Black
16GB 1866mh DDR3-RAM
240gb SSD
1TB HDD
NZXT Source Elite 210 white case
Coolermast 212 Hyper Evo cooler
MSI Z97 PC Mate mobo
XFX 750W PSU

It's an absolute monster. Windows boots in about 8 seconds. Runs Ryse at 1080p on ultra @ 60fps. I love just booting up a game and maxing it out for free. Awesome system, and a huge thanks to Smokey for giving me a hell of a GPU deal to get me to make the jump.

mkenyon

Banned
If you start the build by using those routing holes on the motherboard tray, then going back, unplugging everything, and doing cable management isn't really a process. Just integrate doing it into the build itself.

Grats on the monster though!
This is my current build but I'm not sure on what CPU is should use. If anyone got any suggestioins that are 1300 kroner~ish I'd appreciate it and any other feedback on the build.

GPU: XFX R9 280
Mobo: Asus H97M-E
PSU: Cooler Master G550M
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Case: NZXT H230
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Also I'll probably buy and build the PC in a month or two during the holiday sale.
Whatever proc in the OP fits your budget. Buy the best possible.

hey GAF, I desperately need your help!

just got back from two weeks in Europe (business trip), had shut down my PC before I left, and just turned it back on today.

for some strange reason, my CPU is now overheating like mad - 90-100 degrees on idle, causing my system to crash, then unable to reboot due to CPU over temp warnings...

any ideas?

should i assume the thermal compound needs to be re-applied and CPU re-seated?

yeah, fan is moving ok, just did a dust clean to make sure that wasn't an issue as well

managed to get the PC running again, I'm idling at 84 degrees ffs...

beardfish

Neo Member
Looking to upgrade my current build with a new CPU/Motherboard, PSU and GPU. My build is starting to show its age, on board NIC drops out occasionally and it chugs to render titles like Dragon Age Inquisition, etc. Currently used as my gaming PC, running mainly Guild Wars 2 with the occassional AAA title.

Current Specs:
cpu: i5-760 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+
memory: 8GB g.skill ripjaw PC3 12800 (4 x 2GB)
mobo: ASUS Maximus III Gene
gpu: 560 Ti
psu: Antec Earthwatts 500w
case: Antec 300
hdd: 80GB Intel SSD + 240GB PNY SSD + 1.5TB seagate drive

I'm leaning towards an i5-4590 but not sure what motherboard as I'd like to reuse my memory which would require 4 dimm slots. Also not sure what direction to go into in terms of graphics card - I'd like it not to be ridiculously loud/hot, and be able to fit into the Antec 300 mid tower case.

Also curious if anyone has recommendations for upgrading fans in the case. Has 2 filtered front intake 120mm intake fans, and a top 140mm exhaust - has room for a 120mm rear and 120mm side panel. The quieter the better.

edit: forgot budget, for the upgrade parts would like to keep it around $600

kennah

What was for sale and for how much?

Edit saw in the bst thread. 4790, nice. (I'm still looking for a Socket 1155 i5,i7 or xeon)

mkenyon

Banned
Looking to upgrade my current build with a new CPU/Motherboard, PSU and GPU. My build is starting to show its age, on board NIC drops out occasionally and it chugs to render titles like Dragon Age Inquisition, etc. Currently used as my gaming PC, running mainly Guild Wars 2 with the occassional AAA title.

Current Specs:
cpu: i5-760 w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+
memory: 8GB g.skill ripjaw PC3 12800 (4 x 2GB)
mobo: ASUS Maximus III Gene
gpu: 560 Ti
psu: Antec Earthwatts 500w
case: Antec 300
hdd: 80GB Intel SSD + 240GB PNY SSD + 1.5TB seagate drive

I'm leaning towards an i5-4590 but not sure what motherboard as I'd like to reuse my memory which would require 4 dimm slots. Also not sure what direction to go into in terms of graphics card - I'd like it not to be ridiculously loud/hot, and be able to fit into the Antec 300 mid tower case.

Also curious if anyone has recommendations for upgrading fans in the case. Has 2 filtered front intake 120mm intake fans, and a top 140mm exhaust - has room for a 120mm rear and 120mm side panel. The quieter the better.

edit: forgot budget, for the upgrade parts would like to keep it around $600
4690K + Z97 + 8GB DDR3 = $445. Pocket the change and save up a bit for a new videocard, unless something like the R9 280 or GTX 960 would push you to drop an extra $50 over your budget.

A high clocked processor will help you tremendously in Guild Wars 2. MMOs love them some high frequency/high IPC processors.

yeah, fan is moving ok, just did a dust clean to make sure that wasn't an issue as well

Yeah, make sure the whole heatsink unit isn't loose, though. Odd that it started doing this all on its own, did anyone else have access to your computer that might have fucked it up?

Well if the 970 is still as good of a card we thought it was pre-memory fiasco, then I don't care too much. The cost difference for one card is worth it for the 6+ months I'll have to wait until the Oculus comes out.

They don't have a new line of cards coming out this year, do they?

p.s. also yeah I do desktop support for a living, running 2x 560tis right now, not too scared of SLI.

I was installing a game (not through Steam) last night and it took a lot longer than I thought it should. Is it possible that it a was poorly optimized installer?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, make sure the whole heatsink unit isn't loose, though. Odd that it started doing this all on its own, did anyone else have access to your computer that might have fucked it up?

Well if the 970 is still as good of a card we thought it was pre-memory fiasco, then I don't care too much. The cost difference for one card is worth it for the 6+ months I'll have to wait until the Oculus comes out.

They don't have a new line of cards coming out this year, do they?

p.s. also yeah I do desktop support for a living, running 2x 560tis right now, not too scared of SLI.
You are the exception then. I'd say go for it!

Fracas

#fuckonami
What's the easiest way to downsample and overclock my CPU?

I'm guessing the latter is done in BIOS, but I'm not sure about downsampling.

mkenyon

Banned

Dependent upon the processor and motherboard, but relevant links are mostly in the OP.

Downsampling depends on whether you have NVIDIA or AMD.

Kayant

Since you have Nvidia go to control panel --> DSR factors. Tick all options and test the smoothness as the default can make the image quite blurry. Go into a game and choose one of the new resolutions outside of your monitor's resolution.

Dr. Buni

I am idling at 55~58 and when I load a game the CPU goes up to almost 100. Really hoping it is a problem with the thermal paste and not with the CPU itself.

Good luck with solving your PC issue, btw

mkenyon

Banned
Since you have Nvidia go to control panel --> DSR factors. Tick all options and test the smoothness as the default can make the image quite blurry. Go into a game and choose one of the new resolutions outside of your monitor.
Orite, same person as above with Smokey's Black.

:p

You don't really need to overclock the 4790K. It's basically OC'd to 4.2GHz out of the box.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Since you have Nvidia go to control panel --> DSR factors. Tick all options and test the smoothness as the default can make the image quite blurry. Go into a game and choose one of the new resolutions outside of your monitor.

Orite, same person as above with Smokey's Black.

:p

You don't really need to overclock the 4790K. It's basically OC'd to 4.2GHz out of the box.

Ah ok. Sounds simple enough. And yeah I didn't know if I needed to mess with the CPU. I'll leave it alone for now. Thanks guys!

Can't wait til this weekend when I get some real time to use this thing.

beardfish

Neo Member
4690K + Z97 + 8GB DDR3 = $445. Pocket the change and save up a bit for a new videocard, unless something like the R9 280 or GTX 960 would push you to drop an extra $50 over your budget.

A high clocked processor will help you tremendously in Guild Wars 2. MMOs love them some high frequency/high IPC processors.

Thanks for the info.

Something like one of these combos from Newegg?
$379 (w/ rebate) i5-4690k / Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI / G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2142054

How about a new power supply, looking for something moduler to clean up the unused cable mess. Looking at this Antec BP550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1016&cm_re=antec_bp550-_-17-371-016-_-Product

CBTech

I posted this in the overclocking thread, but it hasn't been too active so I'll post it here as well.

Ok, so I was messing around with overclocking my CPU, but I seem to be having temperature issues way earlier than I thought I would. I have an old Phenom ii x6 1090T 3.2GHz, stock cooler (or if not it is not a water cooler), and 8GB of 1333MHz RAM. I am not sure if it is the black edition or not. I'm following the Phenom guide in the OP in the overclocking thread.

Without overclocking I and running Prime95 for about 10 minutes, I was getting temperatures around 47C. I bumped my multiplier by 1 which brought the processor to something like 3.4. When I ran the stress test I was already getting above 55C. I think the highest I saw before stopping the test was 57C.

Is ~47 pretty standard for non-overclocking? Also, is that increase in temperature to be expected and how should I minimize it? I'm planning on reseating my heat sink with new thermal paste.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Almost forgot about my OCD regarding dust so I ordered a custom 6 piece DEMCiflex set of case filters for the 760t. Only 50. I say only due to them being 75 for my 500r.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the info.

Something like one of these combos from Newegg?
$379 (w/ rebate) i5-4690k / Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI / G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2142054

How about a new power supply, looking for something moduler to clean up the unused cable mess. Looking at this Antec BP550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1016&cm_re=antec_bp550-_-17-371-016-_-Product
Yeah, that's a great combo. BP550 has long been our choice of a great modular PSU for the $.

Spiderduff

Hi,

Looking into getting a decent starter PC for my nephew. Any pre-built ones out there that we can order at a decent price? Thank you.

yeah I've always suspected NCIX didn't seat my hestsink properly - as one core has always been 5-10 degrees hotter than the others.

not TOO surprising if it turns out to be the thermal paste - I turned the heat completely off in the house while on business in Paris for two weeks, so everything would have gone way cold, likely exposing any shiftiness in the application of thermal compound.

anyway, dropped it off at my buddy's computer shop and will report back once he's done with it.

if it's not the compound my pump might have randomly busted but that seems to make even less sense to me.

Pollux

So I'm leaning towards a 970 and an i5 but I don't know if I'm going to play anything more demanding than modded Skyrim, WoW, FF XIV, the total war games and paradox games.

Am I over doing it? I would like to get into playing multiplats on my PC though.

Smokey

Got around to taking a pic from the new build last night. Pre-cable management:

Final specs:

i7-4970k
GTX Titan Black
16GB 1866mh DDR3-RAM
240gb SSD
1TB HDD
NZXT Source Elite 210 white case
Coolermast 212 Hyper Evo cooler
MSI Z97 PC Mate mobo
XFX 750W PSU

It's an absolute monster. Windows boots in about 8 seconds. Runs Ryse at 1080p on ultra @ 60fps. I love just booting up a game and maxing it out for free. Awesome system, and a huge thanks to Smokey for giving me a hell of a GPU deal to get me to make the jump.

there she is ;___;

yeh you have an Elite high end machine and you have a FULL 6GB VRAM to play with :p

now

Let's get that monitor upgraded to 2560x1440 and a second Black that will be pretty cheap when people move to titan x

:)

hlhbk

I am looking to upgrade from:

Intel I7 2600
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 670 4 GB

I am looking to upgrade to:

i7 4790K
ASUS M. VII Gene
16 GB RAM

I already got everything else I need except for the video card. I have been reading about the issues with the last 500 MB of VRAM on the GTX 970. It was the card I had pegged as my replacement for the 670. I really don't have the funds to go to a 980 at this point. I only game at 1080p 60 FPS (my monitor doesn't support higher) and its a single monitor setup. Should I still move forward with the 970 or is there a better option for the price?

mkenyon

Banned
Hi,

Looking into getting a decent starter PC for my nephew. Any pre-built ones out there that we can order at a decent price? Thank you.
Price range?
I am looking to upgrade from:

Intel I7 2600
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 670 4 GB

I am looking to upgrade to:

i7 4790K
ASUS M. VII Gene
16 GB RAM

I already got everything else I need except for the video card. I have been reading about the issues with the last 500 MB of VRAM on the GTX 970. It was the card I had pegged as my replacement for the 670. I really don't have the funds to go to a 980 at this point. I only game at 1080p 60 FPS (my monitor doesn't support higher). Should I still move forward with the 970 or is there a better option for the price?
290X would be the alternative, but the 970 is still great for 1080p.

TheBear

Currently building a MAME arcade machine and want a PC powerful to run PS2/Dreamcast emulators.
What sort of specs am I going to need?

Fracas

#fuckonami
there she is ;___;

yeh you have an Elite high end machine and you have a FULL 6GB VRAM to play with :p

now

Let's get that monitor upgraded to 2560x1440 and a second Black that will be pretty cheap when people move to titan x

:)

soon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom