• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Gah!? I don't wanna replace my motherboard...would I HAVE, HAVE to? I don't wanna dismantle my PC all over again......

......Luckily I've already replaced my RAM a while ago, to 8GB.
DDR3?

And yeah, to get any appreciable upgrade, you will *have* to replace your motherboard.

AMD's current line of procs is more or less on par with the Phenom X4s. They are also really picky about which motherboard and chipset you have. If your mobo isn't 990FX, you run the risk of it basically catching on fire with some of the FX chips.

DDR3?

And yeah, to get any appreciable upgrade, you will *have* to replace your motherboard.

AMD's current line of procs is more or less on par with the Phenom X4s.

Yeah, DDR3. The only thing that freaks me out about replacing a motherboard is having to piece my computer back together O; Hm. I'll have to look at some bundles or something. Gah.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, DDR3. The only thing that freaks me out about replacing a motherboard is having to piece my computer back together O; Hm. I'll have to look at some bundles or something. Gah.
Just look at the parts in the OP, and the videos. It's really freaking easy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dang, would be fine on a nice Seasonic or Flextronics unit, but you're right, I wouldn't trust an OC'd proc and a 290 on that CM 500.

Nice foundation! Already sell off your X79 stuff?

Newegg has the MX100 500GB for $180 right now.
Sold that rig for roughly 1600. I basically helped a friend out because I could have parted it all out for around 2500.

Here's a part list for the rest of the rig for the sake of advice.

Samsung XP941 256GB M.2 SSD
ASUS X99 PRO
EVGA WHITE SLEEVED CABLES
GSKILL 2800MHZ MEMORY (4X4GB)
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA
5930k or CHEAP 2ND HAND 5960x

I'm looking for advice on installing Windows on the M.2 since I was reading that you can't do a conventional optical drive install with those.

Also, already have a DVD drive as well as a 4tb enterprise HDD.

kennah

Sorry for the number of posts but uh, anyone know a good MB/CPU combo sale if there's one going on?
This is kind of an unanswerable question. The answer is simultaneously yes and no. Narrow down what you want. If you have a microcenter near you you can get a good combo deal.

Otherwise, combo deals are usually just retailers trying to blow out Shit that doesn't sell.

Did you install the USB controller? Probably don't need to, but maybe just maybe.

Do you mean the motherboard drivers? I think so, I installed what I could and all the back USB ports work fine. Device manager doesn't have any unknown devices.

Unless you mean there's something to do with the case...? I'm using the PWM fan hub in the case if that matters at all (I can't see why).

I guess it doesn't matter too much now that the USB3 ports work.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sorry for the number of posts but uh, anyone know a good MB/CPU combo sale if there's one going on?

Do you live near a microcenter?

Do your research and find out the CPU and Motherboards you would like first. Then check them out and see if they have any combo deals going. Online sites like PCPartpicker will give you the best places for the best price on that item, but they do not take into account bundles.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you mean the motherboard drivers? I think so, I installed what I could and all the back USB ports work fine. Device manager doesn't have any unknown devices.

Unless you mean there's something to do with the case...? I'm using the PWM fan hub in the case if that matters at all (I can't see why).

I guess it doesn't matter too much now that the USB3 ports work.
The USB stuff on the back can sometimes be on a different controller than the front I/O connectors on the bottom of the board. But if you installed all the USB drivers, then it's probably an issue with the cables or the ports on the case. Or maybe they're disabled in BIOS.
Sold that rig for roughly 1600. I basically helped a friend out because I could have parted it all out for around 2500.

Here's a part list for the rest of the rig for the sake of advice.

Samsung XP941 256GB M.2 SSD
ASUS X99 PRO
EVGA WHITE SLEEVED CABLES
GSKILL 2800MHZ MEMORY (4X4GB)
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA
5930k or CHEAP 2ND HAND 5960x

I'm looking for advice on installing Windows on the M.2 since I was reading that you can't do a conventional optical drive install with those.

Also, already have a DVD drive as well as a 4tb enterprise HDD.
Just do it via flash drive, which is how folks do it nowadays. Directions in OP.

I had some life stuff that put a major dent in my PC spending budget, so I haven't really purchased anything since my Z87 Sabertooth + delidded 4770K + Kingpin 780 Ti build.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just do it via flash drive, which is how folks do it nowadays. Directions in OP.

I had some life stuff that put a major dent in my PC spending budget, so I haven't really purchased anything since my Z87 Sabertooth + delidded 4770K + Kingpin 780 Ti build.
Good looking out and hope things improve on your personal end.

Really excited for this build other than the 970 issue but it's hard to really complain.

Got a Yamakasi Catleap 120hz/1440p IPS. Have experience with that piece?

i hear building PCs are fun

i want to do it
You're bluffing or going all in lol

This is kind of an unanswerable question. The answer is simultaneously yes and no. Narrow down what you want. If you have a microcenter near you you can get a good combo deal.

Otherwise, combo deals are usually just retailers trying to blow out Shit that doesn't sell.

Do you live near a microcenter?

Do your research and find out the CPU and Motherboards you would like first. Then check them out and see if they have any combo deals going. Online sites like PCPartpicker will give you the best places for the best price on that item, but they do not take into account bundles.

Thanks, I'll look to see if there's any microcenters~

Smokey

Good looking out and hope things improve on your personal end.

You're bluffing or going all in lol

It's finally your year to stop cheaping out and build something good.

jordan_1993_retires.jpg

mkenyon said:
Nah, he's pinching pennies for that Cayman GT4.

lol pls

Fracas said:
PC is built.

Dear god.

pics

i need to see her...one last time ;_;

I think my motherboard wiggles too much when I plug things in. Guess I'll have to open the case up and make sure I didn't miss a screw.

I was hoping the GTX 970 debacle would lead to a good deal but alas. Guess I'll order one tonight and then kick myself when something comes up in the near future.

kennah

I was hoping the GTX 970 debacle would lead to a good deal but alas. Guess I'll order one tonight and then kick myself when something comes up in the near future.

It never does. The 660 had the exact same issue, and no one remembers (nor did it ever drop the price)

So i successfully (for now) overlocked my 2500k to 4.5 ghz. Core voltage is 1.35.

As recommended earlier in this thread, I installed an Evo 212 cooler before the OC. Took me about an hour to install, I didn't think it was that difficult. I just watched a few tutorials before hand. I did feel like I was going to break my CPU and motherboard tightening the fasteners, haha.

I've been running Prime95 for about a half hour now, temps around 65-70C. Is that normal? How long should I run this?

Are there any other things I should do to test stability other than just general game usage and such?

The Llama

So i successfully (for now) overlocked my 2500k to 4.5 ghz. Core voltage is 1.35.

As recommended earlier in this thread, I installed an Evo 212 cooler before the OC. Took me about an hour to install, I didn't think it was that difficult. I just watched a few tutorials before hand. I did feel like I was going to break my CPU and motherboard tightening the fasteners, haha.

I've been running Prime95 for about a half hour now, temps around 65-70C. Is that normal? How long should I run this?

Are there any other things I should do to test stability other than just general game usage and such?

Those temps seem very good. I'd say run it overnight just to be sure, but other people will say an hour or 2 is fine.

As a practical matter, running Prime95 for a while is probably the best way to test stability.

Those temps seem very good. I'd say run it overnight just to be sure, but other people will say an hour or 2 is fine.

As a practical matter, running Prime95 for a while is probably the best way to test stability.

Thanks. What is the max temp where I should be worried?

The Llama

Thanks. What is the max temp where I should be worried?

80+ and you should worry. But if you're not consistently going above 70, that's very good. After you verify stability, you can tweak the voltage (AKA lower it) if you want (and, obviously, verify stability again with lower voltages).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anybody been talking about the new Razer Blade today? I'm on vacation, but just saw the news.

I have a retina MBP with 512GB/16GB/750M, and it's an amazing computer. Best computer I've ever used... Up until my friend got last year's blade, I would have said by "a long shot."

Not sure if that's the case now. I'd still prefer the MBP, but this new Blade looks like it might come close. Definitely has way more power now. 970M is a beast, and it has a great CPU. And 16GB base.

Still prolly gets hot and loud as hell.
I hope the battery is way better.
That logo still sucks.
And the viewing angles aren't NEAR as good as my MBP.

But otherwise, looks like a damn near perfect computer/laptop.

80+ and you should worry. But if you're not consistently going above 70, that's very good. After you verify stability, you can tweak the voltage (AKA lower it) if you want (and, obviously, verify stability again with lower voltages).

Thanks man.

Still sitting at around 65C. Been running for almost two hours now. I will keep an eye out for 80C + temps.

I guess this means I installed my cooler correctly :)

knitoe

Thanks man.

Still sitting at around 65C. Been running for almost two hours now. I will keep an eye out for 80C + temps.

I guess this means I installed my cooler correctly :)
You can pretty much tell your max temps in about 15 min running Prime95. Longer is just for stability testing.

And, yes, the cooler is installed correctly. Otherwise, you would be hitting CPU thermal shutdown without mins running Prime95.

You can pretty much tell your max temps in about 15 min running Prime95. Longer is just for stability testing.

And, yes, the cooler is installed correctly. Otherwise, you would be hitting CPU thermal shutdown without mins running Prime95.

Thanks bud.

Going to shut it down and test out gaming and other use tomorrow.

Paving the way for my CPU upgrade....

Now I need to decide on a GTX 970 or R9 290x.

DDR3?

AMD's current line of procs is more or less on par with the Phenom X4s. They are also really picky about which motherboard and chipset you have. If your mobo isn't 990FX, you run the risk of it basically catching on fire with some of the FX chips.

I still can't get over this
I have a phenom II x3 running at 3.4 ghz (it's a x4 with one core disabled for yields or w/e) and words cannot properly express how much of a potato it is for recent games.
It's not even good enough to stay over 30 fps in more and more games now...

It was awesome price/performance in 2009 but I just can't imagine someone buying a new cpu today (for a new gaming pc) and having to deal with this type of performance.
Sure the new fx s are higher clocked but a 20 percent OC would not be nearly enough to put my cpu into playable territory in something like dying light and I assume ac unity too.
AC4 was the last open world game that was playable for me (with cpu dependant settings on low/medium)

Sarcasm

Anybody have any recommendations for a directional mic and speakers? I stream and headphones are beginning to hurt.

For mic I need it to not pick up every noise and 2.1 speakers should be fine. Or maybe a sound bar?

RGM79

Anybody have any recommendations for a directional mic and speakers? I stream and headphones are beginning to hurt.

For mic I need it to not pick up every noise and 2.1 speakers should be fine. Or maybe a sound bar?
Does your current headset's microphone already have noise cancelling capabilities? When I get tired of using my headset, I just hang the headset around my neck to still use the headset's microphone and use my speakers instead for sound.

Just pulled the trigger on a XFX R290 for $195 after rebates. Prolly not the best use of cash for me at the moment, but I'm telling myself I'm selling off a few other things to offset the cost

Anyone want to buy a gently used Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB or a Sealed Logitech G430 Headset? :)

RGM79

Assembling the final pieces of my build. After the 840 Evo degradation debacle, does anyone trust Samsung's 850 Evo series?

It's not as though Samsung has a bad track record with SSDs or flash memory, and the problem with the 840 was a firmware issue that was fixed easily, where data left sitting on the drive for over a month wasn't being properly refreshed and read speeds suffered hugely. No one reported any data loss at all attributed to that problem.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason not to trust the 850 Evo. Even the 840 Evo is still a decent buy (at the right price), although it's been largely replaced by the 850 Evo which is now cheaper and better.

LilJoka

It's not as though Samsung has a bad track record with SSDs or flash memory, and the problem with the 840 was a firmware issue that was fixed easily, where data left sitting on the drive for over a month wasn't being properly refreshed and read speeds suffered hugely. No one reported any data loss at all attributed to that problem.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason not to trust the 850 Evo. Even the 840 Evo is still a decent buy (at the right price), although it's been largely replaced by the 850 Evo which is now cheaper and better.

There is still some issue with degradation after the FW update. So I've stopped recommending them. Imo it wasn't a bug but part of the design to get more performance, but to save the NAND they had taken some aggressive shortcuts with their wear levelling algorithm.

If you look at 4k random reads, the Crucial MX100 still performs very well, so it's still the 'go to' SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom