• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
$400 - $600
I'd suggest Craigslist honestly.
Currently building a MAME arcade machine and want a PC powerful to run PS2/Dreamcast emulators.
What sort of specs am I going to need?
jNFdjRy.png

And overclock that to 4.5 GHz. Good to go.
Which one is better?
http://techreport.com/review/27067/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-970-graphics-cards-reviewed/9

Just look through the benches there. Honestly they're neck and neck, but the 290X has the possibility of being a better card for a longer period due to the real 4GB of VRAM. If you upgrade every 2ish years (which is a good cycle), then that shouldn't really be much of a concern, IMO.
I have a little while to choose a Mechanical Keyboard from Microcenter at California, Tustin. I can only choose my keybkard there since my friend works there and gets discounts. http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...hanical+keyboard&NTK=all&page=1&sortby=rating

Here's what I'm looking at so far for $89.99:

SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Red Switch

Are there better alternatives?
I really dislike the key layout on the Steelseries boards despite otherwise being a major Steelseries fanboy. Honestly, go try them out, because the switch type has the biggest impact on a person's subjective impression of how much they like it.

Reds = light and linear
Blacks = stiff and linear
Browns = bumpy
Blues = light and super clicky

Those are the four common types you'll see. Razer uses Blues (or their version of the blue), and Browns on the "Stealth" variants.

Looks like Microcenter carries Ducky though, so if they have those in store, I'd look closely at that.

Leeroy605

Hi all wonder if you can help.

In the market for a new TV that I would also run my computer through. I've been eying up the Samsung UE40HU6900 for some future proof 4k goodness and was wondering how well it would play with my computer?

Firstly as I only have a 670gtx 4k gaming is obviously off the cards, but how does 1080p games upscaled look? Horrendous? And would the 670 be able to manage 4k @ 60hz for the desktop? Thanks!

hlhbk

jNFdjRy.png

http://techreport.com/review/27067/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-970-graphics-cards-reviewed/9

Just look through the benches there. Honestly they're neck and neck, but the 290X has the possibility of being a better card for a longer period due to the real 4GB of VRAM. If you upgrade every 2ish years (which is a good cycle), then that shouldn't really be much of a concern, IMO.

I really dislike the key layout on the Steelseries boards despite otherwise being a major Steelseries fanboy. Honestly, go try them out, because the switch type has the biggest impact on a person's subjective impression of how much they like it.

Reds = light and linear
Browns = bumpy

Those are the four common types you'll see. Razer uses Blues (or their version of the blue), and Browns on the "Stealth" variants.

Looks like Microcenter carries Ducky though, so if they have those in store, I'd look closely at that.

If I upgrade the rest of my system to what I wrote about is it safe to assume if I buy a GTX 970 today that I could run current games being released at 60 FPS with everything turned up at 1080P for the next 2-3 years? Also if I get the motherboard and proc I wrote above is it safe to assume if/when I replace the video card in 2-3 years I won't have to replace the proc/motherboard?

mkenyon

Banned
If I upgrade the rest of my system to what I wrote about is it safe to assume if I buy a GTX 970 today that I could run current games being released at 60 FPS with everything turned up at 1080P for the next 2-3 years? Also if I get the motherboard and proc I wrote above is it safe to assume if/when I replace the video card in 2-3 years I won't have to replace the proc/motherboard?
Impossible to say.

But for non bolded, absolutely. PCI-E isn't going anywhere.

jNFdjRy.png

Reds = light and linear
Browns = bumpy

I'm going with Steelseries 6Gv2 for now. My friend is going to Microcenter very soon. I'll let you know. It will be my first premium keyboard and I'm upgrading from the Logitek $20 Keyboard and Mouse combo.

coopolon

So I'm building a desktop PC for a friend.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Some crappy prebuilt that is several years old.
Budget: $500-600
Main Use: Rate 1-5: 1, it will pretty much only be used for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc. It will never ever play a video game.
Monitor Resolution: He wants to be able to drive 3 monitors simultaneously at minimum resolutions of 1200p, preferably even higher if he ever wants to get better monitors.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? No games, ever.
Looking to reuse any parts?: He already has an 256gb SSD. Sorry but I don't know the exact model, but it's a crucial. Mobo definitely needs to have sata 3 obviously.
When will you build?: Within the next week.
Will you be overclocking?: Never

I've tried to explain to him he doesn't need it, but he wants an i5. At least 8gb ram, but I think we can easily bump him up to 16gb, he will be multitasking. Also wants a HDD, a 1TB is probably fine. Wants good usb 3.0 options.

My thought is use the cheapest build in OP but add an the non-overlocking i5, optical drive and 16gb RAM. Can I fit SSD, HDD, 16gb RAM, optical drive, and GPU into a mATX case? He doesn't care about form factor but figure might as well go smaller if we can.

And what's the cheapest gpu I can get that can drive 3 monitors simultaneously?

Thanks everyone!

cyen

Another question. Is the extra $50 worth it to go from a 4790K I7 proc to a 5820K proc?

That´s not only a 50$ extra since the 5820k is on a different platform. 5820K is X99 with the expensive DDR4 and more expensive mobos. So in the end is way more than 50$.

mkenyon

Banned
I think my computer is too heavy for my desk, so I'll need to put it on the ground but I have carpet. Would something like this be good? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRO7O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: My case is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, for reference.
Just get a piece of wood.

Don't listen to the other folks, keep your PC off your carpet. I have mine suspended on a wire wrack 6" off my desk to avoid dust. It makes a *huge* difference.
So I'm building a desktop PC for a friend.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Some crappy prebuilt that is several years old.
Budget: $500-600
Main Use: Rate 1-5: 1, it will pretty much only be used for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc. It will never ever play a video game.
Monitor Resolution: He wants to be able to drive 3 monitors simultaneously at minimum resolutions of 1200p, preferably even higher if he ever wants to get better monitors.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? No games, ever.
Looking to reuse any parts?: He already has an 256gb SSD. Sorry but I don't know the exact model, but it's a crucial. Mobo definitely needs to have sata 3 obviously.
When will you build?: Within the next week.
Will you be overclocking?: Never

I've tried to explain to him he doesn't need it, but he wants an i5. At least 8gb ram, but I think we can easily bump him up to 16gb, he will be multitasking. Also wants a HDD, a 1TB is probably fine. Wants good usb 3.0 options.

My thought is use the cheapest build in OP but add an the non-overlocking i5, optical drive and 16gb RAM. Can I fit SSD, HDD, 16gb RAM, optical drive, and GPU into a mATX case? He doesn't care about form factor but figure might as well go smaller if we can.

And what's the cheapest gpu I can get that can drive 3 monitors simultaneously?

Thanks everyone!
Onboard can support 3 monitors.
Another question. Is the extra $50 worth it to go from a 4790K I7 proc to a 5820K proc?
Absofuckinglutely. But yeah, as mentioned, gotta get DDR4 and an X99 motherboard. But 2 more cores, 4 more threads. That's the generational piece that 6 years from now will still be trucking along like the i7 920 is today.

Grinchy

Banned
Finished putting my new PC together a little bit ago. Holy shit it's fast! I haven't timed it yet, but I feel like it boots in about 7 seconds. I can't believe how awesome this SSD is. I'm just not used to it yet at all. I'll probably turn my computer off whenever I'm not using it now since it's so fast to just boot back up. And that's without using the fast boot option from my motherboard too.

I made a really stupid mistake, though. I didn't save my bookmarks before I tore apart my old PC. So now I'll either have to dig around in the hidden files to try to find them on my old HDD or I'll just have to start over. I don't care. There's so much to set up on this new beast.

okay, turns out my h60i's pump was dead...

put a stock heatsink in there, and back up & running.

funny part is, my temps are pretty much the same as when running with the h60i - what a POS [unless it was installed incorrectly, in which case poo poo on NCIX].

any recommendation for a replacement?

thinking the coolermaster hyper 212 evo - but wondering if there's anything else to consider? [not to worried about price]

Did an hour of stress testing with Prime95.

qX8zERl.png

Not sure what to make of the temp variations, though I did turn on my ceiling fan at some point. Seeing as how it reached 89 degrees, I should probably invest in better cooler down the road. This wasn't overclocking, by the way.

okay, turns out my h60i's pump was dead...

put a stock heatsink in there, and back up & running.

funny part is, my temps are pretty much the same as when running with the h60i - what a POS [unless it was installed incorrectly, in which case poo poo on NCIX].

any recommendation for a replacement?

thinking the coolermaster hyper 212 evo - but wondering if there's anything else to consider? [not to worried about price]

Idle or load temps? What were they? Should definitely be better than stock at load.

Didn't get much of a bite last time, so I'll post again:

Trying to get a ~700 dollar build available in the US. The person it's for will be able to spend a fair bit to upgrade it a year down the line or so, and thus I was thinking it would be best to focus on a beefy CPU + SSD and not have an HDD, plus a relatively skimpy GPU. But I'm not that familiar with the Radeons and US pricing in general.

Does anybody have suggestions or builds?

hlhbk

Just get a piece of wood.

Don't listen to the other folks, keep your PC off your carpet. I have mine suspended on a wire wrack 6" off my desk to avoid dust. It makes a *huge* difference.

Onboard can support 3 monitors.

Absofuckinglutely. But yeah, as mentioned, gotta get DDR4 and an X99 motherboard. But 2 more cores, 4 more threads. That's the generational piece that 6 years from now will still be trucking along like the i7 920 is today.

All the reviews I could find said the proc is underwhelming and not worth the extra cost for the more expensive motherboards, and memory.

The Llama

All the reviews I could find said the proc is underwhelming and not worth the extra cost for the more expensive motherboards, and memory.

It depends on what you're doing with it. For gaming alone its probably not worth it (some games take advantage of it and potentially more in the future, but not a lot).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Did an hour of stress testing with Prime95.

qX8zERl.png

Not sure what to make of the temp variations, though I did turn on my ceiling fan at some point. Seeing as how it reached 89 degrees, I should probably invest in better cooler down the road. This wasn't overclocking, by the way.
Way too high for stock cooler, try a remount if you can. Make sure the black pins go through all the way and split the plastic to lock.
Didn't get much of a bite last time, so I'll post again:

Trying to get a ~700 dollar build available in the US. The person it's for will be able to spend a fair bit to upgrade it a year down the line or so, and thus I was thinking it would be best to focus on a beefy CPU + SSD and not have an HDD, plus a relatively skimpy GPU. But I'm not that familiar with the Radeons and US pricing in general.

Does anybody have suggestions or builds?
The $880 build minus an HDD/SSD is probably the way to go. I wouldn't want to cut anything more from there to be honest. You can cut more by going with a 260X, but the 280 is not that much more of a stretch.

Grinchy

Banned
Windows 8 is going to take me some time to get used to. It feels like everything I want to use is hidden behind some convoluted set of steps. I do like some things about it presentation-wise, though.

Jarsonot

Reading up on installing windows 8.1 from USB, and it seems like I'm supposed to download the ISO, and then use the available tool to transfer the ISO to the USB (making the USB bootable).

So I gather simply having the ISO on the USB won't work? My only available computer is a MacBook, and while I can download and transfer the ISO on that, I don't think I can run the program to make the USB bootable...

Is it possible to circumvent that step somehow, or should I just go visit a friend and use his computer to do the download and transfer?

The Llama

Reading up on installing windows 8.1 from USB, and it seems like I'm supposed to download the ISO, and then use the available tool to transfer the ISO to the USB (making the USB bootable).

So I gather simply having the ISO on the USB won't work? My only available computer is a MacBook, and while I can download and transfer the ISO on that, I don't think I can run the program to make the USB bootable...

Is it possible to circumvent that step somehow, or should I just go visit a friend and use his computer to do the download and transfer?

Use Bootcamp on your Mac. That'll take the ISO and create a bootable USB drive to install Windows with.

Time for another war then.
Check an install video and make sure you have the screws in the right slows (A/B/C) and that it's tightened all the way.
Bleh. I'll check it when I get my video card in a few days.

Edit: I did the stress test through Intel's program (which I used to graph Prime95) and it peaked at 63 degrees. Doing some reading online, I it doesn't seem like I really need to be worried. I'll still check the cooler when I open up the case again to install the video card.

Watevaman

I want to ask here instead of creating a new thread since it seems you guys will be able to help me.

So, I've finally decided that I'm gonna get a second monitor, but I want it to be one that I can have set in portrait mode for easier reading of files when reading or doing some image editing. Currently all I own is an ASUS 21.5 non-LED LCD that I got back in 2009 when I built my computer. What I'm hoping you guys can tell me is would I be better off getting a monitor and a separate stand (I can't mount on walls here) to be able to rotate it or one that has it built into the stand? Seems having pivot/rotation adds a bit to the price, so I don't know if it'd be cheaper. Also, any brands I should stay away from? Size doesn't matter too much, as I'm actually close enough to my 21.5 that it still works fine, but I wouldn't mind something a little bigger if it's not much more (maybe 24?).

Thanks for any suggestions.

edit: oh and I don't know if it matters, but I have a GTX 570 that I'm currently running a DVI out for my ASUS monitor, so I don't know if I can just use the other DVI connection on the card or if I'll have to use the HDMI out.

Darkrider

It's pretty insane, but I've been rocking my Core i7 860 (stock 2.8Ghz) @ 4.1. Ghz since February 2010. Over 5 years and I still feel like my processor has not let me down. Video card wise... eh the AMD 5870 is a little long in the tooth but still plays everything I throw at it (except DA:I.. man that game is poorly optimized).

I guess my point is, modern PCs can really last quite some time.

reKon

Banned
It's pretty insane, but I've been rocking my Core i7 860 (stock 2.8Ghz) @ 4.1. Ghz since February 2010. Over 5 years and I still feel like my processor has not let me down. Video card wise... eh the AMD 5870 is a little long in the tooth but still plays everything I throw at it (except DA:I.. man that game is poorly optimized).

I guess my point is, modern PCs can really last quite some time.

Yeah I'm hoping when my rig is complete, I won't have to change anything other than the graphics card for like 5 years.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Grinchy

Banned
I'm starting to regret my choice of going with Windows 8.1 for this new PC. It's so restrictive. You can't just put anything you want in the task bar or even on the start menu. They even took away the ability to use a 3rd party program that would allow me to pin individual excel files to the start menu. It's like they want you to have no control over your own PC.

Vista let me do whatever I wanted and I had everything a click away. Now I have to jump through hoops to do what used to take one click. I bet Windows 7 would have been a better option for me.

I'm starting to regret my choice of going with Windows 8.1 for this new PC. It's so restrictive. You can't just put anything you want in the task bar or even on the start menu. They even took away the ability to use a 3rd party program that would allow me to pin individual excel files to the start menu. It's like they want you to have no control over your own PC.

Vista let me do whatever I wanted and I had everything a click away. Now I have to jump through hoops to do what used to take one click. I bet Windows 7 would have been a better option for me.

Download Classic Shell and be done with the Windows 8 jank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom