• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Welp. My Ivy Bridge mobo is dying (either that or I have a bad 980Ti, we'll find out once I replace my setup). So I bought some new stuff. This is what I bought:

5820k (Microcenter $299 tax free weekend tomorrow MA)
MSI X99A Plus Refurb - $179 (might as well get the USB 3.1 ports) - MSI is the only X99 motherboards that does 3-way SLI with 28 lanes
G.SKILL Value 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4-19200) Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15Q-16GNT - $99
Thermalright True Spirit 140 BW Rev. A - $50

That's it. I should be able to overclock a little with the True Spirit. Hopefully it's not my 980Ti that's bad or I'll be RMA'ing it.
Update your bios

tarheel91

Just had my second MSI X99S Gaming 7 motherboard die on me. The motherboard is otherwise great, but I shouldn't have to RMA a second $300 motherboard. I'll probably be looking at another company for upcoming builds.

Edit: Might be a good excuse to switch over to the upcoming Zen CPU from AMD next year.

Many are skeptical that Pascal will be able to launch in 2016. You're probably talking about a 1 year wait at least.

People were skeptical because it wasn't clear if TSMC would stay on schedule (because they have had so many many delays in the past (with 28nm, with 20nm and 20nm ended up being a complete bust, useless for anything but low power mobile chips)

This news means they did stay on schedule (and things are going smoothly with production) and now started volume production at 16nm.

This means there is no reason why pascal shouldn't come out in Q1 or Q2.
That's kind of the whole point of why this is exciting news.

AmyS

I'm betting on Q2 2016 for Pascal. Although that doesn't mean we'll see Big Pascal / GP100 in consumer GeForce cards that fast. Not saying we won't but not saying we will either.

Regardless, Pascal and Arctic Islands will be an interesting battle. They should be on equal grounds as far as manufacturing process and HBM2, so really it'll come down to architecture I think.

Does the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo work with this socket? Just verifying before I click buy on the i5 6600k and motherboard purchase.

Edit: Nevermind. Good ole Paulshardware on youtube answered my question.

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can solve this problem. My PC will lock up when playing some games, but not others. Completely hard lock, audio will cut and start to stutter nonstop as the screen turns black, my fans rev up really high for a minute, and it will just stay like that until I hard power it off.

This has not been a problem until I upgraded from a GTX 560 Ti to a GTX 970. It seems to almost never happen in old games, and absolutely never with just general computer use. The only old game it does it on is WoW. Hell, Far Cry 4 runs almost maxed out without any issues. I put over 20-30 hours into that game and it never crashed once. It will crash on the skill screen of Shadow Warrior(the new one), like I said it will crash on WoW, it would crash in Dark Souls SotfS(almost any time I entered a fog door), I tried TitanFall since it had a free weekend and even on low settings that would hard crash. It never did so on the 560 Ti when I was in the open beta. Project CARS has never locked in this way, but the crappier looking mmo Heroes and Generals dose so almost as soon as you get into a match. There are other examples but I can't think of any at the moment as this issue has effectively killed my love for PC gaming. Unless it's an indie game I can't be sure that it will be playable on my PC. And I want to reiterate that it is the same exact crash/lockup for all of these. The driver doesn't fail and recover or anything like that. The audio will cut and start to stutter nonstop as the screen turns black, my fans rev up really high for minute, and it will just stay like that until I hard power it off.

I thought it might be power related, this is my power supply;
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=606321

and here is my mobo;
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=165445

The rest of the hardware I can't see causing any issues. They were fine with the 560 Ti. I ran memtest overnight and had no errors, tried formatting my PC, a clean install on a new HDD, same problem. I've tried installing a bunch of different drivers, all while using a completely clean install using that nvidia driver remover tool. I can run FurMark and Unigine Heaven without any crashes or errors. This is a card that was sent to me after I had to send the first one in for RMA for the same problems. So that would narrow the issue down to my hardware in some way, I would figure, since it is a new card with the same exact issue. If anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear them.

Crisium

Fury x has not gone much further though.
The 7970 was a midrange gpu with REALLY poor (performance) drivers initially, which seriously skews any performance comparisons.
If you look up reviews for the 7970 when it launched they are not representative, because it has since seen a large increase from improved drivers.

offtopic but...

Fury X has not gone much further compared to what? I said Fury X is 75-90% faster than a 7970, and Titan X is more than double a 680. Is that what you meant? Ok, thanks for reiterating me. I'm comparing it to a 280X now and today, who said launch reviews which caused you to go off on a hate crusade?

Lot's of tangents, the rest of your post is off topic like you said and off sense. It doesn't matter what you think a midrange card represents when it is in fact high end based on existentialism rather than your opinion. Nvidia did not have GK110 done in March 2012 and sit on it for 11 months, that's outlandish. We know factually that they sat on the 780 for a few months and likely the 780 Ti for even longer, but Nvidia had been chasing the $1000 premium market for a long time (ever since $830 8800 Ultra in May 2007). Big Kepler wasn't ready at Kepler launch because it was BIG. Their 680 was faster than the 7970 for a two months, AMD caught up with the 7970GHz, and surpassed it never looking back with the Never Settle Drivers. That was the best both companies could do in 2012, period. But sure, believe your personally held superior company had GK110 done a year early. Next you'll say they had Kepler totally ready to go early and purposely let AMD gain market share and release a complete 4-card 7850 thru 7970 segment before 680 launched just to 'gauge performance' or other such nonsense.

And the Fury X OC, in terms of performance, sits squarely in between 980 OC and 980 Ti OC (scroll through all 10 games, the trend leaves no room for confusion). If you have a philosophy to always truncate performance into 2 absolutes (if it's not as fast as a 980 Ti, then it must compete with Nvidia's next lowest regardless of that card's speed) that's your issue, but I'm not sure why you even bothered to bring up your thoughts on it in the first place. You even admit it's a big ppw improvement over the 290X, so why the hate tirade?

Wag

Update your bios

You think I hadn't thought of that? My motherboard is >3yrs old, there hasn't been a bios update in almost 2yrs. I am running the latest custom bios. My PC is shutting down constantly. I went and replaced the PSU, it's still shutting down even with the new one. My 4th PCI-e slot is dead and I can't use my cards at all in the 1st PCI-e slot.

Everything was fine until I upgraded to two 980Tis. (I was running 3 6OG Titans for >2yrs).

I guess I'll find out next week when I get all my parts. At worst I'll have a new PC and I'll be able to sell off some of my parts (the Ivy Bridge is still good). So I'll have a nice upgrade.

kennah

You think I hadn't thought of that? My motherboard is >3yrs old, there hasn't been a bios update in almost 2yrs. I am running the latest custom bios. My PC is shutting down constantly. I went and replaced the PSU, it's still shutting down even with the new one. My 4th PCI-e slot is dead and I can't use my cards at all in the 1st PCI-e slot.

Everything was fine until I upgraded to two 980Tis. (I was running 3 6OG Titans for >2yrs).

I guess I'll find out next week when I get all my parts. At worst I'll have a new PC and I'll be able to sell off some of my parts (the Ivy Bridge is still good). So I'll have a nice upgrade.
Unfortunate that your board hadn't had a recent update. For some reason a lot of Sandy ivy boards needed a bios update to work properly with the 9x0 series.

What board do you have?

ILoveBish

Asus Z170-k board, i5-6600k, ddr4-2400 2x4gb sticks, antec 500w PS, won't boot. Triple checked all connectors, it turns on but no display. I unplugged all but 1 hdd and removed video card 660ti, same thing. I left just 1 stick of ram in and changed spots of the stick also. No go. Any suggestions?

Xbudz

Just ordered a GTX 970 to pair with my i7 4790 and 16gb ram. Planning on getting a 4k screen in October, though u know I can't expect to play games at 60fps with that card.

Massive junp from the 7770 that I was rocking before though!

sgjackson

What are the best/cheapest Australian computer parts places? Aussie friend is going to be putting together her first gaming PC in a few weeks and I have no idea where to window shop.

LordAlu

Hey, who do you work for? I agree that often you can tweak things - my Overclockers build was a special offer and I still got them to slot in an SSD. Ultimately if they're building it anyway it isn't much extra effort to put more parts in and you're making more money.

My guess about the lack of non-k parts is an expectation that they can sell 'overclocked gamer PCs' for a premium. But if you ask they may be able to switch in a K processor and a cooler assuming you'll take the responsibility of overclocking.
Haha, I think the last person to ask me that was Hazaro. Shows how active I've been recently :(

I work for CCL - I do product merchandising (so adding products to the website, searching out suppliers for new ones etc). I'll actually be doing a bit of system integration work soon too - if you see some of the website's PCs are missing customisation options or have Windows pre-installed when most don't, that's usually something we're looking at :p

Back to the task at hand, I would still suggest calling round to see what places can do for an exact spec. Most places can do exactly what you want and will even try and get everything down to a price you're aiming for if you're polite and friendly towards them! You're welcome to call our place if you want to and the guys will do the same thing, but definitely get quotes from different places - Chillblast, Overclockers, Scan etc.

I wouldn't rely much on configurators at websites either (including our own) as they will often be limited on what you can choose and will usually charge you even more on top. It will only take 10 minutes per place too and then you can come back here with costs and specs and we can help you choose which one to go for.

Asus Z170-k board, i5-6600k, ddr4-2400 2x4gb sticks, antec 500w PS, won't boot. Triple checked all connectors, it turns on but no display. I unplugged all but 1 hdd and removed video card 660ti, same thing. I left just 1 stick of ram in and changed spots of the stick also. No go. Any suggestions?
Unplug the lot and take everything out, carefully (including CPU). Check to make sure you haven't bent any of the pins on the socket when you installed the CPU. If you have you'll have to try and RMA it, but most places will reject it as user damage. You might get lucky though.

If you haven't carefully re-install the CPU, one stick of RAM in the DDR_1 slot, connect the 24-pin ATX and the 8-pin 12V ATX and hook up one monitor. Make sure the monitor is on and the power supply is plugged in and switched on, then use a pen to bridge the PWR connections on the motherboard. It should boot into BIOS with a display.

If it still doesn't, you may potentially have faulty RAM or CPU. Turn it off and swap the RAM module, then turn it on again. If it still doesn't work, the CPU may need to be RMA'd.

There is a very very slight possibility it's the power supply, but unless you have another power supply to test you can't really do much.

So guys i bought 2x4gb G.skill ripjaw 4 ddr4 3000mhz and a Asus z170-A, since the ram height is 40mm which is the best CPU cooler I can find?

RGM79

So guys i bought 2x4gb G.skill ripjaw 4 ddr4 3000mhz and a Asus z170-A, since the ram height is 40mm which is the best CPU cooler I can find?

Depends on the clearance available inside your case. Noctua and Phanteks are well regarded for high quality air coolers (their flagship NH-D15 and TC14PE for example), although others exist as well.

What are the best/cheapest Australian computer parts places? Aussie friend is going to be putting together her first gaming PC in a few weeks and I have no idea where to window shop.

You can try au.pcpartpicker.com. The price database isn't all-encompassing by any means (you might be able to find better prices by shopping around at each site) but it should serve as a good starting point to help you see how much certain PC parts tend to go for.

sgjackson

You can try au.pcpartpicker.com. The price database isn't all-encompassing by any means (you might be able to find better prices by shopping around at each site) but it should serve as a good starting point to help you see how much certain PC parts tend to go for.

yeah i've already been there and have ballparked a build in her budget, was just wondering if one of them is bigger/more preferred by the australian population because i generally prefer paying a bit more to order everything from the same place

GeoNeo

I disagree.

For Australia use http://www.staticice.com.au to find cheapest parts and the store that is selling them.

Edit: since you want to order from one place most of the time MSY have the best prices overall.

ILoveBish

Unplug the lot and take everything out, carefully (including CPU). Check to make sure you haven't bent any of the pins on the socket when you installed the CPU. If you have you'll have to try and RMA it, but most places will reject it as user damage. You might get lucky though.

If you haven't carefully re-install the CPU, one stick of RAM in the DDR_1 slot, connect the 24-pin ATX and the 8-pin 12V ATX and hook up one monitor. Make sure the monitor is on and the power supply is plugged in and switched on, then use a pen to bridge the PWR connections on the motherboard. It should boot into BIOS with a display.

If it still doesn't, you may potentially have faulty RAM or CPU. Turn it off and swap the RAM module, then turn it on again. If it still doesn't work, the CPU may need to be RMA'd.

There is a very very slight possibility it's the power supply, but unless you have another power supply to test you can't really do much.

Coukdn't sleep, so I unplugged everything going to the board, just put power pins and plugged in power cord and dvi. Also reset the bios via pins. Fired right up. Plugged in hdds, fired up again. Put in 660ti, still booting.

Installing 8.1 and doing quick upgrade to 10 now.

Evo X

Aftrr 6 hours of putting my new pc together and dealing with a lot of bullshit, it's finally working.

Installing Windows now.

Ram isn't running at advertised speeds using XMP 2.0, causing the pc to not post. I just switched to secondary BIOS and running it slow because I'm way too tired to deal with this shit right now.

Still need to do some more wiring, and clean up but I'll get to that tomorrow. I'm exhausted.

Vuze

New MB installed but I saw something strange on HWinfo for fan speeds

The MB has no CPU OPT but the MB does have a SYS_Fan1.
Have a similar issue but HWinfo (speedfan too) doesn't show one of my fans to begin with lol. All show up fine in the bios.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Aftrr 6 hours of putting my new pc together and dealing with a lot of bullshit, it's finally working.

Installing Windows now.

Ram isn't running at advertised speeds using XMP 2.0, causing the pc to not post. I just switched to secondary BIOS and running it slow because I'm way too tired to deal with this shit right now.

Still need to do some more wiring, and clean up but I'll get to that tomorrow. I'm exhausted.

Ram not running full speed in XMP 2.0 could be the memory controller on your 5960x simply can't handle the speed.

You can try playing around with a few voltage settings to help the memory controller. Highly recommend you check the guide below in regards to the memory.

http://rog.asus.com/365052014/overclocking/rog-overclocking-guide-core-for-5960x-5930k-5820k/

From the ROG perspective, we’re expecting our expertise in trace layout benefit once again on DDR4. Feedback to date is that our motherboards overclock memory very well – improved frequency overhead means a more stable board for the end-user.

The best all round DDR4 IC for overclocking in our testing to date (Sept 2014) is Hynix. Samsung is a close second. This will change regularly as new ICs and manufacturing processes are designed.
Most processors will run DDR4-3000 with 32GB of memory at 15-15-15-34-2T easily (with capable memory modules – good Hynix!). 1T Command rate at these timings is also possible, if the memory controller is a good enough. Good memory modules will reach these speeds at 1.35V or less.
64GB of memory will run DDR4-2666 at 15-15-15-34 2T easily. 1T command rate is difficult to get “unconditionally” stable at these speeds.
For speeds over DDR4-2666 try using 1.35~1.40VDIMM as a starting point.
VCCSA helps stabilize the processor’s memory controller. For the most part the ROG UEFI BIOS left to ‘Auto’ will scale fine for most CPU/memory combinations. Some CPUs may need manual adjustment. and the maximum we have needed to use is 1.15V. However, some CPUs do not respond well to anything over 1.05V­; such processors usually overclock memory fine at stock settings – even though they prefer lower voltage. Start low (default is 0.80V approx.) and work upwards. The relationship between voltage increases to VCCSA and stability are non-linear. There are certain ranges of voltage which may exhibit worse stability, once you go past them (higher or lower) stability improves once again. Try 1.02V for memory speeds above DDR4-2900 as a starting point and work up or down from there.

Depends on the clearance available inside your case. Noctua and Phanteks are well regarded for high quality air coolers (their flagship NH-D15 and TC14PE for example), although others exist as well.
The case is a nanoxia deep silence 5, max CPU height of 185mm, and I saw the noctua 15 but the ram clearance is 32mm

Renekton

People were skeptical because it wasn't clear if TSMC would stay on schedule (because they have had so many many delays in the past (with 28nm, with 20nm and 20nm ended up being a complete bust, useless for anything but low power mobile chips)

This news means they did stay on schedule (and things are going smoothly with production) and now started volume production at 16nm.

This means there is no reason why pascal shouldn't come out in Q1 or Q2.
That's kind of the whole point of why this is exciting news.
Late into 2015 we haven't seen 16nm mobile SoCs manufactured by TSMC yet (instead rumors of Snapdragon 820 using Samsung's foundry instead). And those are the easier small die ones.

How much data do you store? Do you usually play a lot of different games? If you have a sizable Steam library (like most on GAF do, I imagine) and you actually play a lot of those game (less common around here), I think it would do you well to go for at least 500GB if you can afford it. If you use programs that rely heavily on HDD performance (like Photoshop and its scratch disks) it might also be worth it. Are you planning on just having one drive, or will you be using a mechanical drive and an SSD in tandem?

In terms of water vs. air, unless you are doing extreme overclocking, air will probably be just fine. Are you planning on going with a closed-loop solution? Keep in mind some closed-loop coolers are not as effective as high-end air solutions, and often cost more. They can also be incredibly loud. It's a little out of date at this point, but this guide should serve as a good starting point.

I don't really plan on doing much OCing...at least at this point. For reasons I'm 90% going to have to go prebuilt (unless pcpartpicker started selling stuff themselves and on a monthly installment basis) and in the interim (between now and Pascal/Skylake-E) there's pretty little price difference between 5820k stuff and a 6700k, esp considering that if i do upgrade to Skylake-E i'd have to get a new mobo as well (most likely). As for closed loop coolers...I feel like I'd want the best performance but as quiet as possible, obviously, but if X was louder than Y but was that much better at cooling I'd probably be fine with it.

The thing is, if I got a 5820k or a 6700k then if Skylake-E wasn't significantly better (I'm not sure of a %) then I probably wouldn't bother and just see what comes 18-24 months later. The main game I play that would (i assume) really benefit from the 5820k would be Total War. Out of interest, if I got a 5820k (off the top of my head it's a base clock of 3.3ghz?) how much OCing could be done before say a Corsair H80i wouldn't be good enough (if that's the case at all). I guess I'd want the OCing to be as high as possible without running the risk of screwing anything up in terms of longevity.

Arizato

So after sitting on a i5 760 for a really long time I decided to upgrade to an i7 4790k and 16 GB RAM, it has made a huge impact on performance and I am really happy with the changes. However, I am still on a Geforce GTX 750 Ti since upgrading everything at the same time would cost me too much for one month.

I've been looking at the GTX 970 for the longest time now, but I remember people really didn't like the fact that it used 3,5 GB memory when it was advertised as having 4 GB. So my question to you guys is: Is the 970 still worth it? Hell, if not, recommend me another card as long as it isn't too expensive. I am a little cautious about the AMD cards though, since the ones I've been using before haven't been up to par with the Nvidia cards.

jabuseika

So after sitting on a i5 760 for a really long time I decided to upgrade to an i7 4790k and 16 GB RAM, it has made a huge impact on performance and I am really happy with the changes. However, I am still on a Geforce GTX 750 Ti since upgrading everything at the same time would cost me too much for one month.

I've been looking at the GTX 970 for the longest time now, but I remember people really didn't like the fact that it used 3,5 GB memory when it was advertised as having 4 GB. So my question to you guys is: Is the 970 still worth it? Hell, if not, recommend me another card as long as it isn't too expensive. I am a little cautious about the AMD cards though, since the ones I've been using before haven't been up to par with the Nvidia cards.

If you're playing at 1080p, the 970 is totally worth it.

I can run the Witcher 3 maxed out (without Nvidia hairworks) at a solid 60fps.

Any other game set to max graphic settings I've thrown at it runs really good; Dirt Rally 90+fps, BioShock Infinite 90+fps, CS:Go 120+fps, ect.

Arizato

If you're playing at 1080p, the 970 is totally worth it.

I can run the Witcher 3 maxed out (without Nvidia hairworks) at a solid 60fps.

Any other game set to max graphic settings I've thrown at it runs really good; Dirt Rally 90+fps, BioShock Infinite 90+fps, CS:Go 120+fps, ect.

Well, then I am getting the 970. I am fine with 1080p and I want to play The Witcher 3 without the boring 30 FPS limit at the highest settings!

If it performs that well I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the response!

Water

The case is a nanoxia deep silence 5, max CPU height of 185mm, and I saw the noctua 15 but the ram clearance is 32mm

You didn't read the specs properly. It's 32mm with both fans in default position on the NH-D15, but you can move the outer fan up. If you move it by 10mm, your memory will fit. If the outer fan is removed altogether, the NH-D15 has 64mm RAM clearance.

ILoveBish

Alright, skylake is up and running. Had to Google for a WiFi driver that supported 5ghz, go to Asus site for Intel drivers, but otherwise pretty smooth. On 2.4 band WiFi is literally useless. 28.8k modem speeds.

So far so good and I feel like I'm ready for fun this weekend.

Windows 10 isn't so bad also. Disabled all I could of the telemetry stuff.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I have the gigabyte z97m-d3h

And the usb still powers the mouse and the modem has the Ethernet light on

I don't liken it

So I think I need to enable ERP

Vertti

I get horrible screen tearing when watching videos on internet. I tried to set vsync from nvidia's control panel but that didn't help. I've tried turning hardware acceleration on and off.

Tried to google and seems to be a common problem but couldn't find a good solution. Anyone else here have had this problem and have found a solution?

Mr. Hyde

Ouch. I'm guessing my motherboard was fried in a lightning stork yesterday. Lightning for the first time ever struck right at my house. I heard a popping sound and discovered my pc and router both off. I tried turning the pc back on but it only tries to boot for a split second before turning off. The mobo has lights on so I hoped it was just a bad psu. I replaced the psu with a corsair 750m last night but it continued to do the same thing. It would attempt to boot before shutting down. I removed the video card and tried again but it still did the same routine. Anyone ever experience this nightmare?

Those cpus are still soldered. Deliding would destroy it.

Well...I don't want to be doing that then, do I :p

Also has anyone used Acasa Apache fans? I know people seem to go on about another brand but Apache would be the default ones. I'd plan on getting a headset, that I wouldn't use ALL the time, so noise isn't the most major issue but obviously whatever would keep CPU temps cooler etc but still manages to be quiet would be...fantastic.

harz-marz

Ok so I've just installed a new Asus Z170-A. Everything boots fine but I've no internet working at all. I've tried the cd with the drivers but when it goes to install the Intel lan driver it says it can't upgrade due to an older version.

Any ideas? How do I get around this?

Ouch. I'm guessing my motherboard was fried in a lightning stork yesterday. Lightning for the first time ever struck right at my house. I heard a popping sound and discovered my pc and router both off. I tried turning the pc back on but it only tries to boot for a split second before turning off. The mobo has lights on so I hoped it was just a bad psu. I replaced the psu with a corsair 750m last night but it continued to do the same thing. It would attempt to boot before shutting down. I removed the video card and tried again but it still did the same routine. Anyone ever experience this nightmare?

Holy shit...that's quite like what happened to me about 3 months ago. Lightning strikes nearby, power cut...then almost exactly what happened to you. Coincidentally, I'd backed up all my work to Google Drive the day before....

I'm looking at a 980, how they compare size wise to the 680's? I have a Corsair 550D case so they should fit, right? I'm looking at EVGA specifically.

Mr. Hyde

Holy shit...that's quite like what happened to me about 3 months ago. Lightning strikes nearby, power cut...then almost exactly what happened to you. Coincidentally, I'd backed up all my work to Google Drive the day before....

Ouch I'm sorry. I guess I am going to bite the cost of replacing my mpower haswell mobo with one of the new ones and a skylake cpu just in case the cpu died as well. This also means I will need ddr4 ram. I am hoping my video card and hard drives didn't fry so I can hold off for the next nvidia card lineup. It would also make this a bit less painful since these parts will cost around 500.

Ok so I've just installed a new Asus Z170-A. Everything boots fine but I've no internet working at all. I've tried the cd with the drivers but when it goes to install the Intel lan driver it says it can't upgrade due to an older version.

Any ideas? How do I get around this?

Download the latest driver with a different computer, copy over via usb?

LordAlu

I'm looking at a 980, how they compare size wise to the 680's? I have a Corsair 550D case so they should fit, right? I'm looking at EVGA specifically.
Your case will be fine. The 550D can support graphics cards up to 318mm long, and the longest 980Ti EVGA do is about 280mm, so you've got plenty of room :)

harz-marz

Download the latest driver with a different computer, copy over via usb?

Tried this and no luck. It says "the installed version of Intel Network Connections is not supported for upgrades. You must uninstall it before installing this version"

How do I uninstall this?

Edit: Sorted now and up and running! My first ever PC build woo hoo!

harz-marz

Another quick question... I installed DDR4 3000Mhz RAM and when I look at it's status in the bios it is saying it's only running at 2133Mhz. I have it in slot "DIMM_A2 & B2". Should it be in A1 and B1?

RGM79

Another quick question... I installed DDR4 3000Mhz RAM and when I look at it's status in the bios it is saying it's only running at 2133Mhz. I have it in slot "DIMM_A2 & B2". Should it be in A1 and B1?

No, look for an option called XMP or memory profile and enable that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom