• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

Unfortunate that your board hadn't had a recent update. For some reason a lot of Sandy ivy boards needed a bios update to work properly with the 9x0 series.

What board do you have?

Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3. $270 mobo. Died 1 week outside of warranty. 😡

Anyways, I'm off to Microcenter to buy the 5820. At least it's tax free weekend. Save myself $18.

Fury X has not gone much further compared to what? I said Fury X is 75-90% faster than a 7970, and Titan X is more than double a 680. Is that what you meant? Ok, thanks for reiterating me. I'm comparing it to a 280X now and today, who said launch reviews which caused you to go off on a hate crusade?

Lot's of tangents, the rest of your post is off topic like you said and off sense. It doesn't matter what you think a midrange card represents when it is in fact high end based on existentialism rather than your opinion. Nvidia did not have GK110 done in March 2012 and sit on it for 11 months, that's outlandish. We know factually that they sat on the 780 for a few months and likely the 780 Ti for even longer, but Nvidia had been chasing the $1000 premium market for a long time (ever since $830 8800 Ultra in May 2007). Big Kepler wasn't ready at Kepler launch because it was BIG. Their 680 was faster than the 7970 for a two months, AMD caught up with the 7970GHz, and surpassed it never looking back with the Never Settle Drivers. That was the best both companies could do in 2012, period. But sure, believe your personally held superior company had GK110 done a year early. Next you'll say they had Kepler totally ready to go early and purposely let AMD gain market share and release a complete 4-card 7850 thru 7970 segment before 680 launched just to 'gauge performance' or other such nonsense.

And the Fury X OC, in terms of performance, sits squarely in between 980 OC and 980 Ti OC (scroll through all 10 games, the trend leaves no room for confusion). If you have a philosophy to always truncate performance into 2 absolutes (if it's not as fast as a 980 Ti, then it must compete with Nvidia's next lowest regardless of that card's speed) that's your issue, but I'm not sure why you even bothered to bring up your thoughts on it in the first place. You even admit it's a big ppw improvement over the 290X, so why the hate tirade?

Well you suddenly turned hostile.

kennah

Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3. $270 mobo. Died 1 week outside of warranty. 😡

Anyways, I'm off to Microcenter to buy the 5820. At least it's tax free weekend. Save myself $18.

That`s crazy. I`m sorry for your loss :( I`d try contacting Gigabyte anyway

So I'm pretty much done picking the parts for my new PC, but I was wondering if there's anything I might want to change before I order the last few pieces? I'm planning on getting the 6700k and overclocking to 4.6ghz, and I'm not planning on any water cooling (liquids near electronics makes make really uncomfortable). Does everything look good? Am I missing anything? Do I need to pick up any extra fans? Do I need a tool to spread the arctic silver on my cpu?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ydCkt6

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($310.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.70 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $711.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-15 15:24 EDT-0400

This is what I am planning on buying and building this week (if anyone has any suggestions where I should change components I'm all ears). MicroCenter has such a good price on the 4590 right now. I could also get the i7 for $90 more. Is it worth even considering that or just stick with the 4590?

Arex

So I'm pretty much done picking the parts for my new PC, but I was wondering if there's anything I might want to change before I order the last few pieces? I'm planning on getting the 6700k and overclocking to 4.6ghz, and I'm not planning on any water cooling (liquids near electronics makes make really uncomfortable). Does everything look good? Am I missing anything? Do I need to pick up any extra fans? Do I need a tool to spread the arctic silver on my cpu?

You're getting the same case as mine! :D

Probably just get an extra fan as you only get 2 with the case (1 front 1 back), leaving 1 empty slot in the front. You can move the 1 in the back to front so that they are of the same type :)
The case has fan controller that you can plug them into, as they're not PWM fans.

Evo X

Wiring complete! Looks so much cleaner than my old build.

19HxPnm.jpg

Liquid cooler is awesome. My CPU is running at the same temp as ambient.

6lb3PRE.jpg

Here is it powered up.

g2etQFb.jpg

Just need to upgrade to Windows 10 now, then bring over all my files and reinstall the games.

derdriu

I need some advice from PC Gaf. I upgraded to Windows 10 and since have been having high ping issues when I play online. The problem are the drivers to my USB wifi adapter, they dont seem to be supported, and now I'm pretty fed up waiting for an update. So Im looking at a PCI express card for wifi instead

Is this ok for online gaming? (I mostly play BF4, Arma3 and Starcraft)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/computers/dp/B00416RTJ4

or should I get a better one?

My router is downstairs and I'm basically directly above it

Wag

Got the 5820k for $295 (minus $4 for tolls + gas). I guess it was worth it. Microcenter was a madhouse. I don't go there enough. Unique store, not another one like it. Cambridge store is staffed with MIT and Harvard students.

Unfortunately with the net they're pretty much obsolete. Only with the tax-free weekend are they sort of worth it. Some decent sales tho. I was looking at the returns and open-boxed stuff and even those were overpriced.

Menome

Okay, the Asus monitor I purchased a couple of months ago has a red stuck-pixel right in the centre of the screen. It's bloody annoying and causing me to game less on my PC because it's directly in the area I look at when playing games. It just can't be ignored. Asus' stuck-pixel policy states that I need to have five of them before I can send it off for an RMA, so I'm lumbered with it.

I will have another couple of hundred quid soon that I can begrudgingly spare for a new monitor, so as Viewsonic has a zero-tolerance policy for centre-screen stuck/dead pixels, I'm going to go for them and also make the jump to a 144hz monitor.

Is the VG2401MH model worth the cash? (Will wait for the Amazon-supplied version to come back in stock for £199.99)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NM758GE/

baphomet

Can someone take a look at this and see if they know what may be causing it? I'm getting constant jitter with everything in Windows 10. This is an offscreen shot trying to show it as best as possible.

I'm running a ROG Swift at 1440p. Occasionally after restarting it will go away, but I'm not going to put up with this shit. If it's an issue with the monitor I'll be getting a refund.

https://youtu.be/z0H5BQJM66Y

Here is it powered up.

Just need to upgrade to Windows 10 now, then bring over all my files and reinstall the games.

What case do you have?

Evo X

Very pretty. Nicely done.

Thanks. It was a bitch wiring everything to look perfect and clean, but it was worth it. The pre-done velcro ties in the back of the case really helped.

Shiny. I just finished building a rig with the black version of the case yesterday, oughta take some pictures too.

Sweet. I was originally going to get black, but figured the white would be a nice changes of pace from all my previous cases.

Plus, I'm a sucker for the white/red theme. Got the same on my Ducati and Triumph motorcycles and gear. :D

What case do you have?

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Smokey

19HxPnm.jpg

6lb3PRE.jpg

Here is it powered up.

g2etQFb.jpg

Nice.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, I just got 4 more gigs of RAM (bumping it upto 8 GB), and I'm astonished. I was really missing out. Games were stuttering like crazy, and I thought my GPU and CPU were to blame. Decided to grab more RAM just in case, and it made a LOT of difference. Glad I did.

What I want to know is, do games use more than 8 GB of RAM these days? Is it viable to upgrade memory even further if you're gaming at 1080p?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I though I was going to get my new Define S case today. I was wrong. FedEx are jerks who give you false hope and lies.

Not that it ultimately matters since the 6700k is still on sale anywhere.

baphomet

I though I was going to get my new Define S case today. I was wrong. FedEx are jerks who give you false hope and lies.

Not that it ultimately matters since the 6700k is still on sale anywhere.

Well they don't normally deliver on the weekends.

baphomet

Don't say that. It's better to have the case a day later in one piece, then to have it early trashed to hell.

Then I don't see why FedEx was used. More expensive, slower, and out of the literal 100's of packages I've received, FedEx has damaged significantly than USPS or UPS.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Don't say that. It's better to have the case a day later in one piece, then to have it early trashed to hell.

Amazon got me my nice new Sennheiser 598s via USPS in one perfect sweet sounding piece today. So USPS 1 - FedEx 0.

Then I don't see why FedEx was used. More expensive, slower, and out of the literal 100's of packages I've received, FedEx has damaged significantly than USPS or UPS.

Yeah the seller used FedEx. I figured they'd have used USPS when I bought it cause it was free shipping and was surprised, and saddened, to see they used FedEx. USPS is actually pretty good most of the time, I just hate their tracking software which is pretty much useless most of the time and I like to know where my shit is.

19HxPnm.jpg

6lb3PRE.jpg

Here is it powered up.

g2etQFb.jpg

Welcome to the NZXT KRAKEN RACE !

Also I plan to earn money again to upgrade my mobo, cpu and gpu in the future with the bew 16nm and skylake-e hopefully ! :3

Hopefully my 5820k and 980ti will survive by then lol

LordK

Hey guys,

I have a few questions before I go out and order parts for my pc. Eventually, I'd like to game at 4K, but this build will be sort of a "run everything ultra 1080p 60 fps" for now and once gpus are good enough to satisfy my 4K needs, I want to just be able to swap out gpus and nothing else.

With that said, here are my questions:

1. I'm thinking of just going with a GTX 970. It looks super solid at 1080p and a decent price relative to other cards. The 980 TI looks so good, but I feel that's overkill for 1080p/60 and doesn't have quite enough juice for 4k. Am I wrong about that?

2. If I go with the 970, are there 970s I should avoid? Are there 970s I should specifically want?

3. Should I get DDR3 or DDR4 ram? I'd rather just go cheaper with DDR3 if it has little to no impact on gaming.

4. I'm contemplating between the only two skylakes (6600 and 6700) and I figure the stock 6600 is more than sufficient to run games on the cpu side at 60 fps. And if I ever need more juice, I could just OC it pretty easily. Am I right about that?

5. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

DTKT

Looking at GPU prices in Canada is always a bummer. My 670 is starting to feel a bit old and I was looking at a possible 970 upgrade and it's never under 400$.

Sigh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, I added the Skylakes to Enthusiast. Right now I'm not really seeing the point even for the 1k build as it's a good chunk of money that isn't getting you much. Should change after DDR4 comes down a bit and the $120 Z170 boards offer a bit more than what they do now (Cheapest onboard audio and Realtek NICs). If you want USB 3.1 some of the Z97 mobos have it or buy an adapter card.

Also added some quick notes to the top of OP about Skylake. Oh, and removed GTX960.

Looks like a good build. HS comes with paste. Just blob the paste. I'd use what comes with the HS over AS5.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($310.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.70 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $711.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-15 15:24 EDT-0400

This is what I am planning on buying and building this week (if anyone has any suggestions where I should change components I'm all ears). MicroCenter has such a good price on the 4590 right now. I could also get the i7 for $90 more. Is it worth even considering that or just stick with the 4590?
Looks like a nice ITX build for the cost, depends what you plan to do with it really. For legs, a 4790K will go a long way. You'll want 2x4GB of RAM or keep the 1x8GB if you plan to upgrade later. I'd also swap the Seagate to a WD Blue, but that's personal pref.
I need some advice from PC Gaf. I upgraded to Windows 10 and since have been having high ping issues when I play online. The problem are the drivers to my USB wifi adapter, they dont seem to be supported, and now I'm pretty fed up waiting for an update. So Im looking at a PCI express card for wifi instead

Is this ok for online gaming? (I mostly play BF4, Arma3 and Starcraft)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/computers/dp/B00416RTJ4

or should I get a better one?

My router is downstairs and I'm basically directly above it
I just use the $14 TP-Link ones, *shrug*
Can someone take a look at this and see if they know what may be causing it? I'm getting constant jitter with everything in Windows 10. This is an offscreen shot trying to show it as best as possible.

I'm running a ROG Swift at 1440p. Occasionally after restarting it will go away, but I'm not going to put up with this shit. If it's an issue with the monitor I'll be getting a refund.

https://youtu.be/z0H5BQJM66Y
The text/resolution keeps adjusting? Might try asking an owner thread on GAF or on Overclock.net
So, I just got 4 more gigs of RAM (bumping it upto 8 GB), and I'm astonished. I was really missing out. Games were stuttering like crazy, and I thought my GPU and CPU were to blame. Decided to grab more RAM just in case, and it made a LOT of difference. Glad I did.

What I want to know is, do games use more than 8 GB of RAM these days? Is it viable to upgrade memory even further if you're gaming at 1080p?
4 -> 8GB is a good bump for sure. Games won't, but you have background stuff + OS.
Hey guys,

I have a few questions before I go out and order parts for my pc. Eventually, I'd like to game at 4K, but this build will be sort of a "run everything ultra 1080p 60 fps" for now and once gpus are good enough to satisfy my 4K needs, I want to just be able to swap out gpus and nothing else.

With that said, here are my questions:

1. I'm thinking of just going with a GTX 970. It looks super solid at 1080p and a decent price relative to other cards. The 980 TI looks so good, but I feel that's overkill for 1080p/60 and doesn't have quite enough juice for 4k. Am I wrong about that?

2. If I go with the 970, are there 970s I should avoid? Are there 970s I should specifically want?

3. Should I get DDR3 or DDR4 ram? I'd rather just go cheaper with DDR3 if it has little to no impact on gaming.

4. I'm contemplating between the only two skylakes (6600 and 6700) and I figure the stock 6600 is more than sufficient to run games on the cpu side at 60 fps. And if I ever need more juice, I could just OC it pretty easily. Am I right about that?

5. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!
970 = Gigabyte G1, it's what I picked up to tide over until some sweet sweet HBM2 trickle down next year.
Motherboard dictates. DDR3L actually seems to perform slightly better in more games according to one site (AT I think). Not a big deal.
FPS is a bad metric! Look up some frame time articles. More CPU Speed/Power = a smoother experience by smoothing your low bumps. Faster it is the smoother it will be and the feel won't be reflected in FPS numbers. So OC when you get it.

LordK

970 = Gigabyte G1, it's what I picked up to tide over until some sweet sweet HBM2 trickle down next year.
Motherboard dictates. DDR3L actually seems to perform slightly better in more games according to one site (AT I think). Not a big deal.
FPS is a bad metric! Look up some frame time articles. More CPU Speed/Power = a smoother experience by smoothing your low bumps. Faster it is the smoother it will be and the feel won't be reflected in FPS numbers. So OC when you get it.

I should have actually phrased my question about CPU better! Would you recommend going for the 6600 and OC it or spend more on a 6700?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just my luck. Seems like 6700K shortages are really really bad. Lot of people are saying retailers aren't expecting shipments till mid Sept in the US. I don't think I'll last that long.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I should have actually phrased my question about CPU better! Would you recommend going for the 6600 and OC it or spend more on a 6700?
Might as well get the 6700K if you can find it since CPUs last like 6 years now.

Evo X

Fixed the memory issue. Manually increased the frequency and timings instead of using the XMP profile.

Also, got a super easy 4.5Ghz overclock going at 1.25v. Might test to see if I can lower the voltage even more. Didn't try to raise the OC any higher because I figure I will have to put in more voltage for minimum performance gains. Rather keep the PC cool and quite.

What are some CPU intensive games I can try out on this PC?

I just tried The Witcher 3 and it's running a hell of a lot smoother now than it did on my 2500k@4.7Ghz, especially in dense towns.

xkramz

help please.

4At9LTF.jpg

this is my build. i wanna upgrade to a z97 MB. but i need a black/white z97 MB for gaming. any suggestions about what would look dope with my build?

it sucks my msi gtx 970 is red =/ wished it was white so it could match better.

RGM79

help please.

http://i.imgur.com/4At9LTF.jpg

this is my build. i wanna upgrade to a z97 MB. but i need a black/white z97 MB for gaming. any suggestions about what would look dope with my build?

it sucks my msi gtx 970 is red =/ wished it was white so it could match better.

For black and white parts, MSI offers their Krait designs like the Z97S Krait SLI and a black and white GTX 970. That black and white GTX 970 does not have the much better Twin Frozr cooler that your GTX 970 has, though. What are your current specs?

Looking at GPU prices in Canada is always a bummer. My 670 is starting to feel a bit old and I was looking at a possible 970 upgrade and it's never under 400$.

Sigh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would probably be like a hundred cheaper if it wasn't for our falling dollar.

RGM79

QeYXuJ0.jpg

i was looking at that asusz97 sabertooth MB the camo one. but they want 350 for it -___-

Are you prepared to pay a lot of money?

If you want a Z97 motherboard, you'll also need a new processor to go along with it. I don't recommend upgrading just for looks.

xkramz

Are you prepared to pay a lot of money?

If you want a Z97 motherboard, you'll also need a new processor to go along with it. I don't recommend upgrading just for looks.

i want a unlocked CPU to future proof my PC a lil bit more, im getting a i5- 4690K bundlded with a motherboard. also on the MSI MB u linked me to i see theres like a white MSI cover for the I/O ports .

mqwWlAk.png

but on the other pics it doesnt show that white I/O cover. do you know if it comes with that MB?

RGM79

i want a unlocked CPU to future proof my PC a lil bit more, im getting a i5- 4690K bundlded with a motherboard. also on the MSI MB u linked me to i see theres like a white MSI cover for the I/O ports .

http://i.imgur.com/mqwWlAk.png

but on the other pics it doesnt show that white I/O cover. do you know if it comes with that MB?

No, it doesn't come with that. That picture is taken from a custom PC modder's build, I assume he made that cover himself along with the MSI badges and decals on the front and PSU bay cover.

NeonDelta

I've just bought an EVO 850, how is the best way to get my windows 10 onto it? Can't find a proper answer online as every site says different regarding the licence etc

I had a retail windows 7 and upgraded through that

RGM79

I've just bought an EVO 850, how is the best way to get my windows 10 onto it? Can't find a proper answer online as every site says different regarding the licence etc

I had a retail windows 7 and upgraded through that

Since you did the upgrade and Windows 10 is activated, you can use a drive cloning program and follow a guide like this to move everything over to the new SSD, or just do a clean install of Windows 10 which will automatically activate itself (follow the guide, you can just skip any prompts to enter a product key).

Excellent, thank you!

Just ordered a 980, arrives tomorrow.

I may have made a school boy error, can anybody confirm? I currently have two 680 Classifieds in SLI, they use two 8 pin connectors each. The 980 Superclocked needs two 6 pins, will I be okay? My PSU is a Corsair AX860.

I'm planning to add another 980 to the setup soon too.

Renekton

I may have made a school boy error, can anybody confirm? I currently have two 680 Classifieds in SLI, they use two 8 pin connectors each. The 980 Superclocked needs two 6 pins, will I be okay? My PSU is a Corsair AX860.

Not a problem.

LordAlu

You should be fine. Take a careful look at those 8-pins, and you should see that they split into 6-pins, like so:

8-pin_pcie.jpg

Kudo

Anyone here have Dell U2715H? It was on sale and ordered one so I'll have 2x 27".
Reviews seem good but if there's some issues I should be aware of I'd like to know those beforehand so I can check mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom