• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a problem.

You should be fine. Take a careful look at those 8-pins, and you should see that they split into 6-pins, like so:

8-pin_pcie.jpg

Thank you =]

Grudy

I finished putting together my first PC build last night with all the connections. I made a lot of mistakes like installing the fans at the end and choosing a really cheap case (used that money to get a better MB and fan) but now I realize how important the case is after my messy cable management

Still I'm really happy with my first build
TadkV.gif
, but I'm too scared to turn it on. What's the worst that could happen if I made a wrong connection somewhere or forgot to plug some wires in? I don't want to damage anything >_>

Lethal

Neo Member
So, I built an AMD rig 2 years ago (8320 at 4.2) in anticipation of better gaming performance due to consoles changing to x86 64 AMD setups, however, I am finally giving up on it. I'm planning to migrate as much as I can into a SFF build.

It doesn't need to be amazing, since I have my main rig for demanding games. And with Skylake being a marginal upgrade, I reckon my 3570k at 4.5 is fine for the foreseeable future.

My question is, what should I go for? I need to buy a new mobo and CPU anyway, should I just jump into the Skylake? Are there any good mini itx boards for z170 yet? I can keep my SSD and GPU and cooler. Budget around $800 maybe.

Edit
Also, its gotta be a k CPU and mobo

RGM79

I finished putting together my first PC build last night with all the connections. I made a lot of mistakes like installing the fans at the end and choosing a really cheap case (used that money to get a better MB and fan) but now I realize how important the case is after my messy cable management .

Still I'm really happy with my first build
TadkV.gif
, but I'm too scared to turn it on. What's the worst that could happen if I made a wrong connection somewhere or forgot to plug some wires in? I don't want to damage anything >_>

It just doesn't turn on, turns on and then shuts down, or complains about a problem with beeps. Not much chance of components being damaged.

Arondight

Building my current PC has got to be the scariest thing ever especially the first button press. I'm still got huge issues I need to resolve though.

Build up everything and it ended up that it wouldn't boot. I managed to finally get it working after removing a RAM and the GPU which is what I currently need answered.

I'm currently only able to install one of my RAM. If I installed the after (happened before installing OS), it would turn on and off. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the issue is?

After managing to get it continuously running, it wouldn't load the bootscreen so I decided to take out the GPU as well, I also need help on that one since it started to load bootscreen after I took it out and not sure if I can put it back in now.

After all that and doing the installation, I found out that my 970 doesn't come with the MGS promo :(.

Ah well, If I can get everything fully running by next week I would be happy. Does installing the OS finally mean I can put everything back in there?

LilJoka

Building my current PC has got to be the scariest thing ever especially the first button press. I'm still got huge issues I need to resolve though.

Build up everything and it ended up that it wouldn't boot. I managed to finally get it working after removing a RAM and the GPU which is what I currently need answered.

I'm currently only able to install one of my RAM. If I installed the after (happened before installing OS), it would turn on and off. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the issue is?

After managing to get it continuously running, it wouldn't load the bootscreen so I decided to take out the GPU as well, I also need help on that one since it started to load bootscreen after I took it out and not sure if I can put it back in now.

After all that and doing the installation, I found out that my 970 doesn't come with the MGS promo :(.

Ah well, If I can get everything fully running by next week I would be happy. Does installing the OS finally mean I can put everything back in there?

All these problems should not have anything to do with the OS being installed or not.

Have you tried going into the BIOS and checking if the RAM has been setup correctly. Mainly check the the Ram speed, primary timings and voltage against the spec of your RAM. Once confirmed/changed to match, insert the 2nd stick of RAM.

If that fails, test each stick individually, possibly one is DOA.

The GPU issue should also be independent of everything to do with OS and RAM issues.
I assume you plugged in both a 6pin PCIE and 8pin PCIE into the GPU and plugged the video cable into the GPU and not the Mothetboard outputs?

Arondight

All these problems should not have anything to do with the OS being installed or not.

Have you tried going into the BIOS and checking if the RAM has been setup correctly. Mainly check the the Ram speed, primary timings and voltage against the spec of your RAM. Once confirmed/changed to match, insert the 2nd stick of RAM.

The GPU issue should also be independent of everything to do with OS and RAM issues.
I assume you plugged in both a 6pin PCIE and 8pin PCIE into the GPU and plugged the video cable into the GPU and not the Mothetboard outputs?

Ok thanks. Will test the RAM as described. I think both RAMS seem to be working singularity.

I did the GPU as described so will recheck, it lights up, the fans seem to be working so not sure about that issue.

Grudy

Isn't that what you're supposed to do? It said so in the techreport video guide in the OP.

Looks like a nice ITX build for the cost, depends what you plan to do with it really. For legs, a 4790K will go a long way. You'll want 2x4GB of RAM or keep the 1x8GB if you plan to upgrade later. I'd also swap the Seagate to a WD Blue, but that's personal pref.

Looking to game at 1080p at as high of settings as I can and trying to get to or close to 60 fps (going to be hooked up to my tv). Also trying to keep the budget about $800. I'm going to to use it as the occasional Plex and Kodi machine, but of course these specs are well beyond what are needed for that. I am planning on upgrading the RAM in the future, just trying to keep my entry cost as low as I can for the time being. I've been a console gamer for 25 year or so and finally want to experience games like The Witcher 3 on max settings. The reason I'm going with the mini-ITX case is that I'm trying to build something that I can put under my tv, next to my PS4 and XB1, and won't look completely out of place size wise.

Is a 4790K worth the extra $110 for what I am trying to accomplish? I haven't ordered anything yet, but was hoping to start today in the hopes of getting everything here this week so I can build.

I see folks with i5 2500k over clock to 4.7. I've had mine overclocked to 4.5 for a long time. Should I even bother going to 4.7 at this point? Much of a difference?

h3ad0rZ

Hey guys, I've got a question about deciding to upgrade my PC.
My current specs are:
i5 3550 3.30 (3.7 turbo) / 8GB / MB: GA-H77-DS3H / GeForce GTX 670 2GB / PSU: FSP AURUM GOLD 700W.
If I upgrade my video card to GTX 970, will I be able or for how long I could play new AAA games on 1080p ~High settings ~40-60fps?
Also, I've got a question about my CPU, how good is it? How long will it last or does it need upgrade? Also I'm not overclocking stuff.

Renekton

Looking to game at 1080p at as high of settings as I can and trying to get to or close to 60 fps (going to be hooked up to my tv). Also trying to keep the budget about $800. I'm going to to use it as the occasional Plex and Kodi machine, but of course these specs are well beyond what are needed for that. I am planning on upgrading the RAM in the future, just trying to keep my entry cost as low as I can for the time being. I've been a console gamer for 25 year or so and finally want to experience games like The Witcher 3 on max settings. The reason I'm going with the mini-ITX case is that I'm trying to build something that I can put under my tv, next to my PS4 and XB1, and won't look completely out of place size wise.

Is a 4790K worth the extra $110 for what I am trying to accomplish? I haven't ordered anything yet, but was hoping to start today in the hopes of getting everything here this week so I can build.
If you have a $800 budget, then i7 is not bang for buck. Get i5 and the best GPU possible.

Grudy

That was my plan. I was going to go with the 4590 and the ASUS Strix GTX 970 which I can actually buy everything I want for about $715 so I'd be coming in under budget.

If you're going for a smaller form factor, Asus has the gtx 970 directcu mini which is smaller than the strix and should fit in nicely in a smaller case. I actually wanted the strix but ended up with the mini by mistake (long story) but turns out it looks pretty neat and gave me a bit more space for cabling

The USB issues I have with my motherboard have persisted even after updating the Bios. Sometimes when I boot my PC, it will hang while loading the bios and I just need to unplug a USB cable and plug it back in and it continues to boot normally. It doesn't impact anything else but it's just an annoying little issue I wish I could fix.

If you're going for a smaller form factor, Asus has the gtx 970 directcu mini which is smaller than the strix and should fit in nicely in a smaller case. I actually wanted the strix but ended up with the mini by mistake (long story) but turns out it looks pretty neat and gave me a bit more space for cabling

The Strix was suggested to me which was why I was leaning that way. I did notice the Mini 970 but never really put much thought into it as it was a bit more money (and I was a bit worried about resale if I wanted to sell to help fund a card upgrade at some point since it is the mini version of the card). Sounds like I should be considering it though.

On a side note this is my first build so I'm assuming cabling is going to be a bit of a mess for me.

Grudy

The Strix was suggested to me which was why I was leaning that way. I did notice the Mini 970 but never really put much thought into it as it was a bit more money (and I was a bit worried about resale if I wanted to sell to help fund a card upgrade at some point since it is the mini version of the card). Sounds like I should be considering it though.

On a side note this is my first build so I'm assuming cabling is going to be a bit of a mess for me.

Haha yes I'm in the same situation, I underestimated how important the case is for cabling management and ended up with a big mess as you can see at the top of the page. The best thing I can tell you is to plan ahead. Put your motherboard inside the case without screwing it in and see how all the parts will fit, especially the fans and cooling system. Could save you a lot of trouble.

Also, cable ties.

Haha yes I'm in the same situation, I underestimated how important the case is for cabling management and ended up with a big mess as you can see at the top of the page. The best thing I can tell you is to plan ahead. Put your motherboard inside the case without screwing it in and see how all the parts will fit, especially the fans and cooling system. Could save you a lot of trouble.

Also, cable ties.

Thanks. I equal parts excited and nervous to actually buy the parts and build this thing. Been gaming for the better part of 25 years and I've never had a proper gaming rig. I have some extra money and decided now was the time to get my feet wet with The Witcher 3 already being released and MGS V and Fallout coming out in the fall. I have both a PS4 and XB1, but feel those are the type of games that need to be experienced with ultra settings at 60fps.

I was looking at mini-ITX versions of the GTX 970 and found the Gigabyte Mini ITX GTX 970 Overclocked for $325 (plus a $20 rebate) which is actually $30 cheaper than the ASUS version. Is there any reason to stay away from the Gigabyte version and spend the extra money on the ASUS?

Vuze

Some bad karma recently, my PSU sorta crapped out a few days ago (fan is always running at top speed even after cleaning, removing/swapping some components etc) and I'm pretty sick of it by now, this irregular noise is headache-inducing. I'll RMA it and hope to get back fair value (which I didn't know was an option, would be 20€ so that's pretty decent).

Any recommendations? I've no idea about all the voltages, lines, etc. unfortunately.
I run a i5 5470 / GTX 970 / 2 SSDs / 2 HDDs and want some future proofing headroom for GPU/CPU update. 550/600w should be plenty I guess, I doubt power consumption for components will massively rise, eh?

Looking to buy asap / Germany / budget about 80~100€. Fully modular would be cool, might as well improve my cable management while I'm at it.

btw I had a be quiet! System Power 7 450w 80+ silver.

So I'm trying overclock my new processor...

It's set to run at 4.5 Ghz in the BIOS, and indeed, when I'm NOT doing anything too intensive, CPUZ shows the processor core speed as fluctuating around ~4489 MHz.

But as soon as I begin running a stress test, that speed DROPS to around 3590 MHz.

Huh?

mhayze

I see folks with i5 2500k over clock to 4.7. I've had mine overclocked to 4.5 for a long time. Should I even bother going to 4.7 at this point? Much of a difference?

Not really measurable. If it makes you feel better, do it, but yeah, if you get an extra frame in a game, that'll probably be about it. It may also make your PC crash more and accelerate its end.

SleazyC

So I'm trying overclock my new processor...

It's set to run at 4.5 Ghz in the BIOS, and indeed, when I'm NOT doing anything too intensive, CPUZ shows the processor core speed as fluctuating around ~4489 MHz.

But as soon as I begin running a stress test, that speed DROPS to around 3590 MHz.

Huh?
What are your temps looking at? CPUs will throttle themselves if the heat gets too high.

Zel3

For people with water cooling builds. What kind of setups are you running? I'm thinking of going with PETG tubing. Seems like you get a better looking build that way.

nodicex302

Neo Member
I got a question for the group. I've built several PCs over the years for gaming and a at home server.

I really want to get back into PC gaming (steam games, mmos, etc) I want to build a high end PC and have always been interested in water cooler rigs.

Are they worth the money and if so, where would be the best place to order what i need and how to build/set up the tubing

Grudy

A lot of ASUS boards have a start button on the motherboard, if your board has it try using that to start the computer.

Didn't work either. So far I tried:
- switching the Power SW with the reset SW.
-Removed GPU, Ram, fans, HDD, SSD, tried removing each on individually and all together.
-Removed all the MB power connections and did them again. both the 24 pin and 8 pin ATX are plugged in.

LQX

I know this is a build your own thread but HP is having a good deal on the Envy gaming PCs. Might be good deal for those that were thinking of getting the i7-5820K and a 980GTX. Also Discover shop portal is 10% cashback if you have card, so you would pretty much save on tax in any state. Really thinking hard about this by telling myself I'm paying $350 apiece of for the CPU and GPU.

HP ENVY Phoenix 850se Desktop [hp.com] (if you cannot add it to cart, please search from top of the page and select 1299.99 offer with windows 10)

i7-5820K processor hexa-core CPU
16GB DDR4 2133 Memory <--upgraded)
2TB Hard Drive
GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 FH GFX
DVDRW
WiFi N + Bluetooth 4.0 (worth upgrade to 2x2 WiFi for $15 more)
Windows 10

$1829 - 30% w/ coupon code AUGUST30 - $250 Rebate [4myrebate.com] = $1100.99 ($960.99 w/ gtx 970)

http://slickdeals.net/f/8045263-hp-...on-free-shipping-i7-4790-gtx980-for-875ar?v=1

harz-marz

Ok a few quick questions about issues with my new setup (i5 6600K, Asus Z170-A, 8GB DDR4 3000 Mhz RAM)

- In the bios, with XMP activated the RAM is running at 2133 Mhz instead of the 3000 Mhz. In CPU-Z it is showing at half this speed which I know is normal (1096 Mhz). Why is this? How can I get it running at it's advertised speed?

- I have done the "EZ" overclock option from the bios, chip is now running at 4.2 according to CPU-Z. Is this accurate? It was very easy to do. I have never overclocked before and wary of changing voltages etc but wanted a boost on the stock speed of 3.5. Is this chip now actually overclocked? Or is it more complex that that? I would be happy for now to keep it at 4.2.

Thanks!

Sciz

Didn't work either. So far I tried:
- switching the Power SW with the reset SW.
-Removed GPU, Ram, fans, HDD, SSD, tried removing each on individually and all together.
-Removed all the MB power connections and did them again. both the 24 pin and 8 pin ATX are plugged in.

Connect just the power supply and the mobo and try tripping the power pins with a screwdriver. That should get you something, unless it's one of those two parts that's bad.

Grudy

Connect just the power supply and the mobo and try tripping the power pins with a screwdriver. That should get you something, unless it's one of those two parts that's bad.

I was actually about to do that while reading some stuff online but it turned out to be that I didn't fix all 9 screws on the MB, forgetting the one in the center. had to disassemble everything and start over but it was pretty quick this time around.

Working on the bios now ^^

Right the 980 is installed, everything powers up and works okay but my PC is now getting stuck on the American Megatrends screen for at least a minute during boot, it's never done that before, any ideas?

LilJoka

I was actually about to do that while reading some stuff online but it turned out to be that I didn't fix all 9 screws on the MB, forgetting the one in the center. had to disassemble everything and start over but it was pretty quick this time around.

Standoff screws dont matter, you can boot a PC without putting a motherboard into a case at all. Problem was likely elsewhere, maybe a wire was not plugged in fully.

Grudy

Standoff screws dont matter, you can boot a PC without putting a motherboard into a case at all. Problem was likely elsewhere, maybe a wire was not plugged in fully.

I kinda rationalized that the screws are needed to short the circuits inside the MB but whatever it was, it's all working like a charm now :D sorry for making a fuss.

I recently bought a Corsair H100 GTX liquid cooler. Does anyone else have one and found the included fans to be fairly loud? If you replaced them, which fans did you get?

Right the 980 is installed, everything powers up and works okay but my PC is now getting stuck on the American Megatrends screen for at least a minute during boot, it's never done that before, any ideas?

I'm now getting a flashing underscore during boot, it's not loading into Windows at all.

RGM79

I'm now getting a flashing underscore during boot, it's not loading into Windows at all.

Check all cables to see if anything came loose while you were inside the case, specifically around your hard drives.

Question,

I got a new monitor and it is connected with HDMI into CPU and Displayport into monitor. Should I switch to HDMI->HDMI instead?

I'm sorry, I don't understand? You're currently using an HDMI to displayport adaptor? What monitor do you have?

REMAINSILLY

My friend's giving me shit because I got a GTX 960 instead of a 970. I'm fucking poor, and dropping $200 on a video card was hard enough. Did I fuck up by not getting the 970, forreal though?

Acinixys

Hello this thread

My 5 year old GTX460 finally kicked the bucket and died

I need a new GFX card.

PC components are FUCKING expensive where I am, so the highest I can go is a GTX960 (which is $272.8 at the moment of me posting this)

So my question is which of these is better? Is there anything similar I can look at?

R9 285 (2GB)
R9 380 (4GB)
GTX960 (2GB)
GTX960 (4GB)

They are are all $250 - $300

My system:
650W PSU
12GB Corsair XMS3
i5 2300
Gigbyte H77N-D3H

Javaman

Weird. The mb must be using the case as a common ground like cars do.

kennah

My friend's giving me shit because I got a GTX 960 instead of a 970. I'm fucking poor, and dropping $200 on a video card was hard enough. Did I fuck up by not getting the 970, forreal though?
Ehn. A little maybe but you can afford what you can afford. The 970 is a significant boost over the 960.

REMAINSILLY

Ehn. A little maybe but you can afford what you can afford. The 970 is a significant boost over the 960.

I don't play on Ultra, though. I'm content at Medium-High, as long as the frame rate is good. And I don't think I'll ever get into 4K until it's affordable for me.

Evo X

If you can do it without going crazy with the voltages, go for it. If not, then it's not really worth it.

Only reason I ran my 2500k@4.7 was because I had a freak chip that could do 5.2 on air, so 4.7 was not hard for it.

Ok a few quick questions about issues with my new setup (i5 6600K, Asus Z170-A, 8GB DDR4 3000 Mhz RAM)

- In the bios, with XMP activated the RAM is running at 2133 Mhz instead of the 3000 Mhz. In CPU-Z it is showing at half this speed which I know is normal (1096 Mhz). Why is this? How can I get it running at it's advertised speed?

- I have done the "EZ" overclock option from the bios, chip is now running at 4.2 according to CPU-Z. Is this accurate? It was very easy to do. I have never overclocked before and wary of changing voltages etc but wanted a boost on the stock speed of 3.5. Is this chip now actually overclocked? Or is it more complex that that? I would be happy for now to keep it at 4.2.

Thanks!

Don't use those EZ overclocking tools. Read a guide and do it manually. It's not difficult. Basically just changing the CPU multiplier and voltage.

You can also learn your BIOS to set the ram speed manually to 3,000Mhz instead of using XMP. That's what I had to do to get my ram running right.

Well, a lot of people recommend the 970 because it's a better relative value from a price/performance aspect. For example, the 970 is about twice as powerful as the 960, but only costs 50% more.

But if it doesn't fit within your budget, no use worrying about it, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom