• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Well, some five or so years since my last PC build (RIP i7 920), I'm finally ready to enter the modern PC era of SSDs, hyper expensive video cards and a display that isn't a 22" TN. Exciting! My...wallet is a little less enthusiastic, though...

Questionnaire as per the OP:

Your Current Specs (Last PC. No longer own as left behind when I moved. Shows what I'm coming from though!):
  • i7 920
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
  • 6GB DDR3
  • GTX 285
  • Corsair 650W
  • WD 640GB Blue
  • CM690
Budget: $3k-ish NZD (New Zealand)
Main Use:
  • Light Gaming - 1
  • Gaming - 5
  • Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 5
  • Video Editing - 3
  • Streaming games in HD - 3
  • 3D/Model work (and what program) - 1
  • General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4
Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440. Looking to pick up the new Acer X34 34" Gsync monitor.
Games: ARMA3 & DayZ. Elite Dangerous, Ark, TW3, GTAV and most other AAA titles.
FPS: Last PC was pushed well beyond its years, so I'm quite used to playing most games at 20-25FPS. Not ideal, obviously! But I'm not super strict on 'omgzorz this isn't 60FPS'
Looking to reuse any parts?: None.
When will you build?: End of November.
Will you be overclocking?: Definite yes.

Builds:
Onto the builds! I am currently in two minds over whether Haswell-E or Skylake presents the better option. They both offer a convincing argument. I was faced with a similar situation with my last build, and went with the i7 920 which lasted me far longer than I ever expected it to. Was definitely the right option! So given the relatively small price difference between them I'm tempted to go Haswell-E given the extra cores. Happy for opinions on this though!

Possible Builds:

Note: All prices are via Pricespy.co.nz. I know, these prices are insane. That's what I get for living in Middle Earth...

1. Haswell-E
  • Intel Core i7 5820K - $560
  • Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler - $137.89
  • Asus X99-A Motherboard - $459
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 PC21300/2666MHz CL15 2x8GB - $218
  • Crucial BX100 500GB SSD - $283.45
  • NZXT H440 (White/Black/Transparent) - $218.50
  • Cooler Master V750S 750W PSU - $193
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB - $1149.95
Total:$3219.79
PriceSpy Link: http://pricespy.co.nz/list.php?l=185286&view=m

2. Skylake
  • Intel Core i7 6700K - $589
  • Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler - $137.89
  • Asus Z170-AR - $278.45
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 PC21300/2666MHz CL15 2x8GB - $218
  • Crucial BX100 500GB SSD - $283.45
  • NZXT H440 (White/Black/Transparent) - $218.50
  • Cooler Master V750S 750W PSU - $193
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB - $1149.95
Total: $3068.24
PriceSpy List: http://pricespy.co.nz/list.php?l=180191&view=m

As mentioned, I'm interested in any arguments in support/against either option. As well as any ideas on where I can improve on the parts lists. Budget is a little flexible, so I'm happy to stretch a little further if it means improved performance. Similarly, happy to cut back if the performance gains aren't there.

Thanks!

Those parts lists aren't bad at all. I can see that you seem to have a preference for some parts and there are similarities between the two builds. I've gone through both parts lists and really, the only suggestions I have to make would save you maybe just $40 NZD and would be a slight drop in quality. I don't even thing it's worth mentioning, so both parts lists get the seal of approval from me. The only thing I recommend is that for the 5820K/X99 build, getting 4x4GB RAM is preferable because it will run in quad channel mode. That said, the 2x8GB is compatible with X99 and performance-wise you're highly unlikely to ever notice the difference. Also make sure that the NH-D14 cooler that you order is the one marked SE2011, the one that isn't won't come with the right mounting parts for an X99 motherboard.

All other things being equal, does 24 GB of RAM do you all that much better than 12GB running 1440p resolution?

No. Few games require 12GB of system RAM in the first place.

Agreed, your i7 930 still has some life in it, and the GTX 460 is holding back your PC far more than your processor. I won't say that the i7 930 isn't a bottleneck at all, but a new graphics card will do well for you.

Would it be worth it to get more ram too, sitting on 6GB.

RGM79

I should've mentioned that but yea my drivers were already updated.

Load times could indicate something wrong with the drive that the game is installed on, but if no other games have that problem, then it doesn't make sense. Not even being able to navigate game menus indicates either an issue with drivers or the game itself.. Ah, it's really hard to say what's wrong.

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB vs Crucial BX100 256GB for same price.

Which would be better?

The Pro is definitely better. I have no idea what shop would sell a 850 Pro and a BX100 at the same price for the same capacity, though. Either it's a price error or they don't realize it. How much does the 850 Evo cost?

Would it be worth it to get more ram too, sitting on 6GB.

What's your current RAM usage like? If you prefer to keep a lot of programs open, another 4~8GB of RAM wouldn't hurt and it'd be fairly cheap. I know your motherboard would prefer to take RAM in sets of three, but the 3x1GB and 3x2GB kits aren't selling at the best price per GB. The more popular 2x2GB and 2x4GB kits are cheaper in that you get more RAM for a similar amount of money and will also work for your motherboard.

Zornack

Anyone have any recommendations for a 144 hz, 1080p IPS monitor? The only 144 hz IPS monitors I can find are 1440p, all the 1080p are TN.

The Pro is definitely better. I have no idea what shop would sell a 850 Pro and a BX100 at the same price for the same capacity, though. Either it's a price error or they don't realize it. How much does the 850 Evo cost?

Oh the wonders of India. Reason price is probably similar is Samsung supplies Pro in India while Crucial does not supply their SSDs.

Crucial BX 100 250GB: 10623 INR
Samsung Pro 256GB 10329 INR

850 Evo is cheaper yea, but I had heard Evo drives have more problems?

850 Evo is cheaper yea, but I had heard Evo drives have more problems?

You're probably thinking of the 840 Evo, which was (and is) plagued with a very specific flaw: older data (as in, length of time since data was written to the drive) takes longer to read. At the extreme end, this can result in speeds as slow as a traditional HDD.

The 850 Evo, however, is fine.

Skii

Just meant the list of processes, the view which shows it with .exe file names, not the modern view.

Okay here's the imgur album with the required pics: http://imgur.com/a/SUI0v

Also when you asked me to do the details view, I couldn't get a screenshot of the last tasks but they were called: winlogon.exe & WmiPrvSE.exe

I also added a screenshot of LatencyMon driver details. That might help as well.

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about it for awhile, and it's finally time to build a new PC. I would definitely appreciate your input.

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: Pretty much just a 750Ti, some HDDs but will buy SSD. I have a monitor and input devices already.
Budget: Less than $500 hopefully, USA
Main Use: I'll be using this as an HTPC and for gaming. I'll be gaming in 1080p and would be happy with PS4 level graphics. Being as small as possible, quiet, and since it will be on all the time, low power is important.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Nothing specific. Some modern games if they look interesting. I'd like to give Dolphin a try.
Looking to reuse any parts?: This 750Ti https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3753-KR
When will you build?: Within a month
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

From reading this thread, I think I want an i5 and 8 gigs of ram, but I'm really not sure what kinds.

Edit: I already have a Windows 7 license btw.

RGM79

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about it for awhile, and it's finally time to build a new PC. I would definitely appreciate your input.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Pretty much just a 750Ti, some HDDs but will buy SSD. I have a monitor and input devices already.
Budget: Less than $500 hopefully, USA
Main Use: I'll be using this as an HTPC and for gaming. I'll be gaming in 1080p and would be happy with PS4 level graphics. Being as small as possible, quiet, and since it will be on all the time, low power is important.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Nothing specific. Some modern games if they look interesting. I'd like to give Dolphin a try.
Looking to reuse any parts?: This 750Ti https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3753-KR
When will you build?: Within a month
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

From reading this thread, I think I want an i5 and 8 gigs of ram, but I'm really not sure what kinds.

Edit: I already have a Windows 7 license btw.

$500 is a bit low but doable. This is what I'll recommend as a starting point:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power Xpower 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($36.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $496.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 22:07 EST-0500

Do you live near a Microcenter store? They have the lowest priced processors, but only when purchased in-store. You said this was going to be an HTPC, would you prefer a more compact PC?

If you'll be building in a couple of weeks, it's almost certain that prices will change and this parts list will no longer be relevant. Maybe check in again and we'll give you a parts list with the most current pricing. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for deals as well.

Finaika

Planning on swapping out my GTX970 with a GTX980Ti.

I'm a PC noob, so I could just take out the 970 and replace it with the 980Ti right? No need to delete any drivers, since all Nvidia cards uses the same drivers? Or change BIOS settings?

RGM79

Planning on swapping out my GTX970 with a GTX980Ti.

I'm a PC noob, so I could just take out the 970 and replace it with the 980Ti right? No need to delete any drivers, since all Nvidia cards uses the same drivers? Or change BIOS settings?

Just swap the cards, nothing else is needed.

$500 is a bit low but doable. This is what I'll recommend as a starting point:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power Xpower 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($36.74 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $496.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 22:07 EST-0500

Do you live near a Microcenter store? They have the lowest priced processors, but only when purchased in-store. You said this was going to be an HTPC, would you prefer a more compact PC?

If you'll be building in a couple of weeks, it's almost certain that prices will change and this parts list will no longer be relevant. Maybe check in again and we'll give you a parts list with the most current pricing. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for deals as well.
Thanks for the advice! Out of curiosity, how did you choose the processor?

RGM79

Does this apply for other Nvidia cards (different generation -> different generation) using the same drivers as well?

My GTX 560 Ti at work uses the same driver installer package as my GTX 980 Ti at home.

Thanks for the advice! Out of curiosity, how did you choose the processor?

There are a couple of different i5 processors you could have gone with, but that one is the best fit for you.

To begin with, there's three different types of i5 processors available for purchase brand new. There's the Haswell i5 models ($175~230), the Broadwell i5 model ($300), or the Skylake i5 models ($180~260). Your budget is a bit limited, so it's narrowed down to the cheaper Haswell parts, as Skylake requires more expensive motherboards and DDR4 RAM.

You said you might overclock (and around here we support buying overclockable processors for the added longevity) so that narrows it down to the i5 4690K. Only K model processors can be overclocked, and the i5 4690K is the only available K model, so that's the only choice for you. There are some other models available like the even older i5 4670K, but that's discontinued and no longer available for general sale except from a few unconventional places like ebay and some Amazon vendors, and at a high price.

My GTX 560 Ti at work uses the same driver installer package as my GTX 980 Ti at home.

There are a couple of different i5 processors you could have gone with, but that one is the best fit for you.

To begin with, there's three different types of i5 processors available for purchase brand new. There's the Haswell i5 models ($175~230), the Broadwell i5 model ($300), or the Skylake i5 models ($180~260). Your budget is a bit limited, so it's narrowed down to the cheaper Haswell parts, as Skylake requires more expensive motherboards and DDR4 RAM.

You said you might overclock (and around here we support buying overclockable processors for the added longevity) so that narrows it down to the i5 4690K. Only K model processors can be overclocked, and the i5 4690K is the only available K model, so that's the only choice for you. There are some other models available like the even older i5 4670K, but that's discontinued and no longer available for general sale except from a few unconventional places like ebay and some Amazon vendors, and at a high price.
Makes sense! And reading about that processor it does sound like a good one for me.

I was thinking of going for a Micro ITX case, if I could find one I liked. The video card is pretty small so I'm thinking why not.

RGM79

Makes sense! And reading about that processor it does sound like a good one for me.

I was thinking of going for a Micro ITX case, if I could find one I liked. The video card is pretty small so I'm thinking why not.

Going with mITX form factor will raise prices a bit due to the more expensive motherboard. Still, it's not too much more.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $519.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 23:58 EST-0500

LilJoka

Okay here's the imgur album with the required pics: http://imgur.com/a/SUI0v

Also when you asked me to do the details view, I couldn't get a screenshot of the last tasks but they were called: winlogon.exe & WmiPrvSE.exe

I also added a screenshot of LatencyMon driver details. That might help as well.

Thanks, here will be my best guesses:
Uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Uninstall Eset Nod32 AV

See if things improve.
Do you have any other peripherals connected to the PC besides keyboard and mouse?

Skii

Thanks, here will be my best guesses:
Uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Uninstall Eset Nod32 AV

See if things improve.
Do you have any other peripherals connected to the PC besides keyboard and mouse?

Interestingly, the other guy that was helping me made me install Intel rapid storage technology to fix the problem, so it was there before I had that installed. But I'll uninstall it to see if things have changed.

So you also want me to uninstall my antivirus software?

LilJoka

Interestingly, the other guy that was helping me made me install Intel rapid storage technology to fix the problem, so it was there before I had that installed. But I'll uninstall it to see if things have changed.

So you also want me to uninstall my antivirus software?

Yep.
I never had any performance increase from the IRST drivers, actually always made it a little worse, and the driver that ships with Windows is normally better and more stable.

AV could definitely be the problem.

If this all fails then it's time to format and reinstall. Then carefully install everything whilst checking the dpc latency.

Hitagi

Neo Member
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00 GHz 379.15$
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 140.47$
Motherboard: Asus 90MB0KZ0-M0EAY0 Z97-Pro Gaming 162.85$
VGA: ASUS STRIX - GeForce GTX 970 4GB 380.23$
Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3-2400 16 GB (2x8) 115.30$
Main Storage: Samsung MZ-75E250B SSD 850 EVO 85.73$
Case: Corsair CC-9011075-WW 62.67$
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M 750W 108.63$
Total: 1435,03$

(prices are originally in euros)

What do you think? Any advice?
Is the power supply enough?

Also, which one between these 2 monitors:
-Asus PB287Q 400$~
-AOC U2868PQU 400$~
Anything else with similar specs/price?

Waaghals

I am currently on a Intel Q9550 and am in need of a upgrade.

Would a 6600k be a good choice, or would a be better of just going with a slightly older version?

Money is a factor here since I need to buy both a new motherboard and ram.

LilJoka

I am currently on a Intel Q9550 and am in need of a upgrade.

Would a 6600k be a good choice, or would a be better of just going with a slightly older version?

Money is a factor here since I need to buy both a new motherboard and ram.

Have you got a budget in mind?

Skii

Yep.
I never had any performance increase from the IRST drivers, actually always made it a little worse, and the driver that ships with Windows is normally better and more stable.

AV could definitely be the problem.

If this all fails then it's time to format and reinstall. Then carefully install everything whilst checking the dpc latency.

Okay I'm out at the moment but I'll make sure to check it out tonight.

Is it possible that after formatting and reinstalling the OS that I'll have the DPC latency even with nothing installed? What do I do then?

I am in Norway, so a budget in US dollars is troublesome, but I am looking at something for less than $500 total CPU/Motherboard+ 8gb ram.

Just assume that everything is a really bad deal when looking at prices.
6600K would be good. If it's too pricey there then you could check out the 4690K. Or possibly a non-K Skylake.

LilJoka

Okay I'm out at the moment but I'll make sure to check it out tonight.

Is it possible that after formatting and reinstalling the OS that I'll have the DPC latency even with nothing installed? What do I do then?

That would be incredibly weird and then you would only be able to blame the hardware, likely the motherboard.

Here's something else to try, boot into safe mode as that will only load the minimum software up.

Skii

That would be incredibly weird and then you would only be able to blame the hardware, likely the motherboard.

Here's something else to try, boot into safe mode as that will only load the minimum software up.

Okay hopefully that's not the case. I don't know how long these warranties last but I only assembled the PC in August.

I'll try safe mode as well before I completely reset everything. Can games be played in safe mode? Otherwise I probably won't be able to identify where the latency is coming from.

Also, I know you've helped me plenty and I appreciate it but could you explain how I go about formatting and reinstalling without losing my save files for my games? I'm like 100 hours into The Witcher 3 lol. Really don't want to play that all again!

RGM79

I am in Norway, so a budget in US dollars is troublesome, but I am looking at something for less than $500 total CPU/Motherboard+ 8gb ram.

Just assume that everything is a really bad deal when looking at prices.

You don't need to convert your budget into USD for us. Tell us your budget in your own currency, and link us to any local retailers that you prefer to shop at.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00 GHz 379.15$
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 140.47$
Motherboard: Asus 90MB0KZ0-M0EAY0 Z97-Pro Gaming 162.85$
VGA: ASUS STRIX - GeForce GTX 970 4GB 380.23$
Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3-2400 16 GB (2x8) 115.30$
Main Storage: Samsung MZ-75E250B SSD 850 EVO 85.73$
Case: Corsair CC-9011075-WW 62.67$
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M 750W 108.63$
Total: 1435,03$

(prices are originally in euros)

What do you think? Any advice?
Is the power supply enough?

Also, which one between these 2 monitors:
-Asus PB287Q 400$~
-AOC U2868PQU 400$~
Anything else with similar specs/price?

For 4K gaming, you'll want a stronger graphics card than a GTX 970, but otherwise your choice of parts looks fine. Yes, 750 watt is more than enough, but if you want a quality power supply, go with this XFX model instead of Corsair CX. The Asus monitor seems to have better reviews in general than the AOC model.

Waaghals

Okay, so I have been looking the 6600k, but an upgrade kit (cooler, motherboard, cpu and ram) at my preferred retailer ends up at over 5000 nok.

Said retailer isn't the absolute cheapest, but they have excellent customer service and return policies.

I can afford this, but I wonder if I "have" to.

I guess my main question is: How important is it to be on Skylake for future proofing, is DDR4 usefull at all?

I bought my Q9550 right before the first gen i7 came out, I got a solid price cut in doing so, but on the flip side this system is now at the end of the road. Meanwhile, people with 1. gen i7 can still be competitive with an overclock.

Going with mITX form factor will raise prices a bit due to the more expensive motherboard. Still, it's not too much more.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $519.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 23:58 EST-0500
Thanks! I really appreciate the advice.

RGM79

Okay, so I have been looking the 6600k, but an upgrade kit (cooler, motherboard, cpu and ram) at my preferred retailer ends up at over 5000 nok.

Said retailer isn't the absolute cheapest, but they have excellent customer service and return policies.

I can afford this, but I wonder if I "have" to.

I guess my main question is: How important is it to be on Skylake for future proofing, is DDR4 usefull at all?

I bought my Q9550 right before the first gen i7 came out, I got a solid price cut in doing so, but on the flip side this system is now at the end of the road. Meanwhile, people with 1. gen i7 can still be competitive with an overclock.

Well, you got your Core 2 Quad just when there was a major improvement in processing performance. Right now, we're not really at the same point. The way Intel has been steadily upgrading their processor lines, Skylake is still just another slight improvement over Haswell, just like how the last 4 generations have been slight improvements over the preceding generation. Skylake is just more future-proofed in that it introduces a new motherboard socket (1151) that replaces the last one, any new processors will be made for the new socket only.

However, given that you're considering getting an i5 6600K which is fairly high end, it's unlikely that you'll need to replace the processor any time soon. By the time the 6600K becomes old enough to replace, Intel will have already moved on to the new motherboard socket that replaces the replacement for Skylake. That said, many Z170 motherboards do offer USB 3.1 support which is nice to have for the future, and we are at the point where DDR4 will become mainstream and DDR3 will be phased out. If nothing else, going with Skylake now means you can reuse DDR4 in the future with your next build, most likely. DDR2 and DDR3 were around for ~6 years, and the same can be expected of DDR4. Strictly speaking in terms of performance it doesn't appear that DDR4 offers much over DDR3, but DDR4 is recommended for being more "future-looking". There are some Skylake motherboards that accept DDR3 but we would not recommend them for various reasons, mainly that compatibility and longevity are not guaranteed as Skylake technically only supports DDR3L which is low voltage, not the more common DDR3.

If you wanted to spend less money, it's not that bad of an idea to buy a Haswell processor and motherboard instead. If your existing Q9550 system already uses DDR3 RAM, then you could reuse that and it'd cost even less.

Now, onto parts recommendations:

I wouldn't recommend getting that bundle. The motherboard is more expensive than what you will likely need it to be, and buying these separate parts for 5433 nok will be much better considering cost to performance. The cooler is better than the one listed in the bundle and will allow you to reach a good overclocked speed if you are interested in that.

Otherwise, here's a similar recommendation but with Haswell parts for 4516 nok. As was said earlier, Intel's only been slightly improving performance of each generation of processors little by little, you can see here in this Eurogamer review that compares the last four generations of Intel quad core processors that Skylake is just another small improvement.

To sum it up, the higher price of Skylake is not so much for higher performance as it is the better motherboard feature support for things like USB 3.1 and USB type C, and current support for the latest processors and DDR4 RAM. You'll need to decide if that is worth the ~900 nok difference.

Edit: one thing I forgot to ask is.. what are the specs of your existing PC and what do you plan to reuse with your new PC? We should make sure it all fits together, of course.

Waaghals

Thank you very much for an incredibly useful reply, it is really more than I could have hoped for.

I intend to use the cabinet, the PSU (corsair 750w, about 4 years old) the HDD and a relativly new Samsung EVO SSD. There is also a GTX 570, but I intend to buy something new promptly.

It's pretty safe to clone to a new SSD. You're literally making a copy, so no files will be lost. Just don't format your old drive until you're sure the new SSD works fine. Follow a guide like this and you'll be fine.

I've used Macrium Reflect free edition (the software mentioned in that guide) and I've had no issues transferring OS to a new storage device. It's pretty much flawless, nothing in Windows was broken or even changed. The computer doesn't care what storage device it is, as long as all of the important files and partitions are there. Just make sure to clone over the entire disk including all partitions (the tiny system partitions), not just the one containing Windows.

Thank You - I will do that tonight! :D

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Currently have 2gb 770 is either a rx 390 or gtx 970 worth the upgrade they both are around £250 from what i gather.

I like to downsample so the added video ram is needed but im talking general performance for newer games too

Mithos

I have decided that I will prolong my computers live somewhat...
So I'm looking at getting a new/better CPU-cooler, and a 970/r9-390 GPU.

However... What Cpu-cooler is good enough to keep an:

i7 930 2.8Ghz running @ 3.8 - 4. 0Ghz cool enough, and not being super expensive?

I've been looking at the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo" and the "Corsair Hydro Series H80i" CPU cooler, I'm a little scared to put a liquid cooler in the PC though.

Now, looking at the Evo it could interfere with/be interfered by the Ram-sticks (Corsair Dominator, 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM 240-pin).
0VSxGM5.jpg

And/or the backplate for the Evo could both touch the motherboard and the computer case backwall (unless I get modhappy and cut away parts of the backwall).
This backplate seems so thick that as I said it will touch the actual case, and the stances the motherboard lies on is smaller then it, and or the actual case did not anticipate a think backplate like this in its design.

My case: Ace Midtower Game Edge 990 ATX

Any suggestions that would be good/work/fit in appreciated.

Hitagi

Neo Member
For 4K gaming, you'll want a stronger graphics card than a GTX 970, but otherwise your choice of parts looks fine. Yes, 750 watt is more than enough, but if you want a quality power supply, go with this XFX model instead of Corsair CX. The Asus monitor seems to have better reviews in general than the AOC model.
Thank you!
Not going to play at 4k, I was just thinking of having a bigger desktop resolution since I usually play on consoles..
Any advice about a 1080p monitor of the same price but with better specs (minus resolution)?

texore

I'm looking to begin building my first PC. Right now I'm in the research stages, I don't plan to build for at least 3 months.

Your Current Specs:
Coming from a Core 2 Duo all in one

Budget:$1200, $1500 max USD

Main Use:
  • Light Gaming - 1
  • Gaming - 5
  • Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 3
  • Video Editing - 1
  • Streaming games in HD - 3
  • 3D/Model work (and what program) - 1
  • General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, plan to upgrade to 2K G-Sync monitor in 1-2 years
Games: First gaming PC, so I plan to play games such as Skyrim, Battlefront, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3. I'm coming from console so 30fps is fine, but 60fps is preferable.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
When will you build?: End of the year hopefully.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, but not for a couple years.

Here are two mock builds I created:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($91.98)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($162.98)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($53.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($53.99)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00)
Video Card: *Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($296.99)
Case: *NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88)
Total: $1403.78

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.99)
CPU Cooler: *Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($91.98)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($94.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($296.99)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88)
Total: $1365.68

I'm mostly torn between the 5820K and 6700K. From what I've read, the 6700K has an advantage in mostly related tasks, but the 5280K isn't far behind and excels other tasks. I don't plan to upgrade for a while, so I want to be prepared if my main use branches out from mostly gaming.

Also I can't help but think the additional 2 cores in the 5820K will be more useful than clock speed if more games start taking advantage of multicore CPUs down the line.

My main sticking point is I want a CPU that will last me quite awhile before needing an upgrade.

I'm fairly new to all this, so any help or input on my current build would be appreciative.

RGM79

Currently have 2gb 770 is either a rx 390 or gtx 970 worth the upgrade they both are around £250 from what i gather.

I like to downsample so the added video ram is needed but im talking general performance for newer games too

Either graphics card will be a strong boost from your GTX 770. The GTX 970 and R9 390 are roughly on equal terms with the R9 390 being slightly faster, so this comparison will give you an idea of how much stronger either graphics card is over the GTX 770.

You might want to look up certain benchmarks from the latest games to see which performs better, the R9 390 or the GTX 970. Any specific games you are interested in?

Thank you!
Not going to play at 4k, I was just thinking of having a bigger desktop resolution since I usually play on consoles..
Any advice about a 1080p monitor of the same price but with better specs (minus resolution)?

Would you prefer a similar sized monitor? There are 24" and 27" 144Hz monitors in the same price range.

I have decided that I will prolong my computers live somewhat...
So I'm looking at getting a new/better CPU-cooler, and a 970/r9-390 GPU.

However... What Cpu-cooler is good enough to keep an:

i7 930 2.8Ghz running @ 3.8 - 4. 0Ghz cool enough, and not being super expensive?

I've been looking at the "Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo" and the "Corsair Hydro Series H80i" CPU cooler, I'm a little scared to put a liquid cooler in the PC though.

Now, looking at the Evo it could interfere with/be interfered by the Ram-sticks (Corsair Dominator, 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM 240-pin).

And/or the backplate for the Evo could both touch the motherboard and the computer case backwall (unless I get modhappy and cut away parts of the backwall).

This backplate seems so thick that as I said it will touch the actual case, and the stances the motherboard lies on is smaller then it, and or the actual case did not anticipate a think backplate like this in its design.

My case: Ace Midtower Game Edge 990 ATX

Any suggestions that would be good/work/fit in appreciated.

What country are you in and what's your budget for upgrades? We can recommend you an alternative cooler. Perhaps you should get a new case as well, I cannot find any information pertaining to the what the case can accommodate for coolers and whatnot.

So what are the expectation of the GPU's this blackfriday/cybermonday?

May we expect any sales on the GTX 970/980/980ti?

Unknown. MSRP will not drop, but who knows if individual retailers will offer sales. If we knew, we'd all be waiting to swoop down on that one deal.

I'm looking to begin building my first PC. Right now I'm in the research stages, I don't plan to build for at least 3 months.
Either build will do very well for you. Yes, the 5820K could prove somewhat better in the long run, but the 6700K isn't going to be obsolete if game devs start taking better advantage of multiple threads either.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Either graphics card will be a strong boost from your GTX 770. The GTX 970 and R9 390 are roughly on equal terms with the R9 390 being slightly faster, so this comparison will give you an idea of how much stronger either graphics card is over the GTX 770.

You might want to look up certain benchmarks from the latest games to see which performs better, the R9 390 or the GTX 970. Any specific games you are interested in?

Mostly mad max. Fallout 4. Just cause 3 n assassin creed syndicate. Mostky game at 1080p but do like to downsample sometimes which can cripple my 770.

Guessing for downsampling the r9 390vwould be better cos of video ram

Mithos

What country are you in and what's your budget for upgrades? We can recommend you an alternative cooler. Perhaps you should get a new case as well, I cannot find any information pertaining to the what the case can accommodate for coolers and whatnot.

Sweden, Europe, I would prefer not to go past what a H80i cost (~€90), but if I could stay at the price-range for 212 Evo it would be nicer (€35).
This if ofc for the CPU fan-cooler alone, I'm pretty much stuck at ~€300-350 for the GPU's.

And I'm not surprised about not finding info on the case, I bought it 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom