• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

I am trying to buy a R9 390 here in Brasil for a decent price and every site I go they are all gone already...

1353.gif

SarBear

Hey guys.

I'd like to build another computer this year. Just something really basic for a six year old that won't break my pocket.

Could you guys recommend a full pc build with monitor for as low as possible?

kennah

Hey guys.

I'd like to build another computer this year. Just something really basic for a six year old that won't break my pocket.

Could you guys recommend a full pc build with monitor for as low as possible?

The cheapest build in the OP.

Alternatively, you could probably get away with an AMD APU system. I'm assuming Minecraft?

Quotient

I decided to try some gaming on my new PC and decided to give Sleeping Dog DE a spin. I set everything to high and enabled vsync and the frame rate limiter from within the game. I immediately noticed some pretty bad tearing. Turning off vsync and the frame rate limiter greater improves the situation but tearing still occurs just not as frequently.

I am running a i7-6700k, 32 gigs of ram and MSI GTX 970. Is Sleeping Dogs just a poorly optimized game for the PC?

RGM79

Any fan recommendations for the inside?

I just swapped the other case for the R5.

You're really trying hard to dissuade me from water. :p

Alright, I'll stop and I'll leave you be with your water cooler, then. The H440 you were looking at also has dust filters, by the way.

Am I missing something or have the sales so far been underwhelming? I guess tomorrow is black friday, but still.

Anyone know if the Skylake processors will go on sale?

It's unlikely that they'll see anything more than a slight discount if at all. Skylake is still fairly new, but you might see discounts on the older Haswell stuff.

Alright, that's good to know. If I don't plan on overclocking at first, will I still need a cooler to start with? Also, about memory, the motherboards I look at say things like "DDR4 3400*(*O.C.)/ 3333*/ 3200*/ 3100*/ 3000*/ 2933*/ 2800*/ 2666*/ 2600*/ 2400*/ 2133". I know DDR4 is the type of memory I'll be using, but I don't know what the other numbers mean. Thanks for all your help with this by the way.

Even if you don't plan on overclocking first, buying and installing the cooler now means you won't need to open up your case later to do it. It's also somewhat easier to install the cooler before you put the motherboard into the case, you'll have more open space to work with. The aftermarket cooler also does a better job of cooling than the stock cooler and with less noise. It's not impossible to skip the cooler now and install it later though if you need to save the $20 now and won't be overclocking soon.

The numbers refer to the RAM speeds that the motherboard supports. The * and (*O.C.) refer to the fact that any RAM speeds above 2133MHz are achieved by overclocking the RAM. RAM overclocking is very simple and does not require any special cooling setup or manually inputted settings. Generally it should be as simple as enabling a single setting to reach your RAM's fastest rated speed.

Which mobo that I should get from those, and I rather the one that cheap and had best value

Depends on the rest of your system specs. E.g., if you want to overclock, you'll want a Z170 motherboard. What size of motherboard you should get depends on what case you have. I'd skip H110 unless you absolutely need to save money, and motherboards that take DDR3 (not DDR4 or DDR3L) should be avoided in case it may reduce the lifespan of the CPU or possibly damage it.

I decided to try some gaming on my new PC and decided to give Sleeping Dog DE a spin. I set everything to high and enabled vsync and the frame rate limiter from within the game. I immediately noticed some pretty bad tearing. Turning off vsync and the frame rate limiter greater improves the situation but tearing still occurs just not as frequently.

I am running a i7-6700k, 32 gigs of ram and MSI GTX 970. Is Sleeping Dogs just a poorly optimized game for the PC?

Try using the framerate limiter in Rivatuner Statistics Server.

Looks mostly fine to me, seems like you've been looking at the last few pages for recommended parts. I'd think about avoiding that motherboard, though. There are lots of negative reviews on newegg mainly complaining about the BIOS. There are much fewer negative reviews on Amazon though, so it's up to you if you want to take the risk.

Thanks for the advice!

UnrealEck

If you saw my posts from a couple of days ago here, you might know I was thinking of buying either an AOC 1080p Gsync 24" TN, an Acer Predator 27" Gsync 1440p IPS, or an ASUS ROG Swift 27" 1440p Gsync TN.
Well, I decided to go with the Swift. The PG278Q. Otherwise known as the original Swift.

Went with 1440p because I figured my 980 Ti should be fine for a couple of years at 1440p without having to turn settings down hugely.

I went with the Swift TN over the Acer because:
1. The Acer is £599, the Swift is £515 (Amazon Prime delivery next day)
2. The nearest merchant price on the Acer is £534 but delivered around early December 5th+
3. The backlight bleed is apparently terrible on many of the Acer panels.
4. IPS glow and a generally higher glow in certain parts of pictures I looked at seemed to hide more detail than the TN Swift.

tl;dr - The point.
I'm reading a lot of horror stories from buyers of the O.G. Swift. Mostly failure. Seems to do with the high refresh rate and heat.
Has anyone had a Swift from around launch and still got it going strong? Do you think new orders from Amazon (not a merchant) will be newer models with better stability?

Extra question to those who have used both the Acer XB270HU and the ASUS PG278Q:
Have I shot myself in the foot going with the TN? Looking at picture comparisons, I see a difference, with the Acer's colours being a bit better, but it doesn't look like it's a massive difference. Also, I do not do ANY video or picture editing and don't care too much about movies.

Finaika

If you saw my posts from a couple of days ago here, you might know I was thinking of buying either an AOC 1080p Gsync 24" TN, an Acer Predator 27" Gsync 1440p IPS, or an ASUS ROG Swift 27" 1440p Gsync TN.
Well, I decided to go with the Swift. The PG278Q. Otherwise known as the original Swift.

Went with 1440p because I figured my 980 Ti should be fine for a couple of years at 1440p without having to turn settings down hugely.

I went with the Swift TN over the Acer because:
1. The Acer is £599, the Swift is £515 (Amazon Prime delivery next day)
2. The nearest merchant price on the Acer is £534 but delivered around early December 5th+
3. The backlight bleed is apparently terrible on many of the Acer panels.
4. IPS glow and a generally higher glow in certain parts of pictures I looked at seemed to hide more detail than the TN Swift.

tl;dr - The point.
I'm reading a lot of horror stories from buyers of the O.G. Swift. Mostly failure. Seems to do with the high refresh rate and heat.
Has anyone had a Swift from around launch and still got it going strong? Do you think new orders from Amazon (not a merchant) will be newer models with better stability?

Extra question to those who have used both the Acer XB270HU and the ASUS PG278Q:
Have I shot myself in the foot going with the TN? Looking at picture comparisons, I see a difference, with the Acer's colours being a bit better, but it doesn't look like it's a massive difference. Also, I do not do ANY video or picture editing and don't care too much about movies.

The Acer has better colors and viewing angles, but the Asus is faster.

ViviOggi

Just got done ordering my new build and as a German these US prices keep making me jelly. You don't even have to pay sales tax on Newegg in most states right?

UnrealEck

The Acer has better colors and viewing angles, but the Asus is faster.

I figured it'd be marginal and not that noticeable.
The thing that influenced my Swift buy most was the horror stories (and pictures) of the Acer's horrid yellowish backlight bleeding.
I doubt viewing angles will be that bad on the Swift considering I'm always looking at it directly. The only thing I might notice is a very slight scew from the centre.

SmartBase

So I'm "downgrading" from two R9 290s tomorrow to a 980 Ti, is there a specific version of the Nvidia drivers I should be looking at for Win 8.1 or is the newest release the one to go for?

Hey first time post in here! This is my current build that I use strictly for gaming like Fallout 4. I'm content with 1080p/60fps. I would like to try super sampling with this new card.
* Thermaltake V3 Mid-Tower case
* AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core 3.5GHz
* Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2gb
* Corsair 8 gb 4X2 D3 1600 DIMM RAM
* OCZ ZT-750w 80+ Bronze Power Supply
* ASRock 960GM/U3S3 AM3+ motherboard
Asus 27in 1080p monitor

I bought a MSI GTX 980 for ~$420 and sold my 770 for $150. The two main things I want to know:

I know the motherboard is not the best, it came with the processor. Since the gpu is overclocked already will it cause any issues?
Also I would like to upgrade the mobo in the near future so I can overclock my 6300. Which should I be looking into?
Thanks!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well guys I just went super YOLO at Newegg and pulled the plug on a pretty monster rig. Lemme know what you think. I already have power supply and optical BluRay drives. For the record, they may have a price bug in their system because they're selling the Samsung EVO III 2TB SSD drive for only $700! Amazon and everywhere else has it listed at just under $1200!!!

Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811139024

$124.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Corsair Air Series AF120 CO-9050015-RLED 120mm Red LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan
Item #: N82E16835181044

$12.55

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
Item #: N82E16819117369

$299.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4996-KR 6GB FTW GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics ...
Item #: N82E16814487160

$629.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 2 TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E2T0B/AM
Item #: N82E16820147441

$699.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(2x) CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
Item #: N82E16820233585

$175.98
($87.99 ea)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128708

$149.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 280mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution
Item #: N82E16835146042

$139.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive with 200GB of Cloud Storage & Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 - STDT5000100 ...
Item #: N82E16822178501

$114.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Order Grand Total(after taxes) $2.554.00

What's your budget? Do you already have a PSU? And if so, which one?

edit: and case.

Aiming around ~$300-$400, not counting OS.

Going to be reusing the PSU and case from an older build of mine, if that's alright. PSU is a Corsair TX650W, while the case is an Antec A300.

Also, I got a PM from a random junior telling me they'll sell me a Windows OS for cheap. Should I trust them or do you think it's a scam?

kma780

Neo Member
So, I have a Gigabyte 270x 2 Gb card with a 4460 processor. Would it make sense to upgrade to the 380 4 gb? I prefer to play at 1080/60 mostly high settings and the 270 seems to be a bit limited in games like Fallout.

RGM79

Skylake is just too rich for my blood. Whatcha guys think of this Devil's Canyon combo?

CPU: i7 4970k

MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1/USB 3.1

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 CAS 9 F3-1866C9D-16GSR
3 above items combo = $505 on newegg​

CASE: NZXT Phantom 630 windowed edition -- $150

PSU: EVGA P2 750w -- $99

Will buy nonstock cooling and gpu when I got more cash in next couple months.

Price seems pretty good to me.

Pretty insane price, but the 5 month warranty on the CPU seems suspect. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9933655&CatId=11497

Too spooky or go for it?

Processors are rarely ever defective. Intel says they provide a 3 year warranty, I would think perhaps the person who wrote the Tigerdirect product page got that detail wrong? Tigerdirect are the only ones who ever mention Intel and 5 month warranty on the same page, according to Google. Their i5 6600K page says the same thing.

Hey first time post in here! This is my current build that I use strictly for gaming like Fallout 4. I'm content with 1080p/60fps. I would like to try super sampling with this new card.
* Thermaltake V3 Mid-Tower case
* AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core 3.5GHz
* Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2gb
* Corsair 8 gb 4X2 D3 1600 DIMM RAM
* OCZ ZT-750w 80+ Bronze Power Supply
* ASRock 960GM/U3S3 AM3+ motherboard
Asus 27in 1080p monitor

I bought a MSI GTX 980 for ~$420 and sold my 770 for $150. The two main things I want to know:

I know the motherboard is not the best, it came with the processor. Since the gpu is overclocked already will it cause any issues?
Also I would like to upgrade the mobo in the near future so I can overclock my 6300. Which should I be looking into?
Thanks!

At this point, you might as well save up for a new Intel processor and motherboard.

Aiming around ~$300-$400, not counting OS.

Going to be reusing the PSU and case from an older build of mine, if that's alright. PSU is a Corsair TX650W, while the case is an Antec A300.

Also, I got a PM from a random junior telling me they'll sell me a Windows OS for cheap. Should I trust them or do you think it's a scam?

Other people in this thread have reported being messaged by someone trying to sell them Windows as well. I've never been messaged by him so I have no idea who he is, no idea if it's a scam. Is the guy an active poster or does it feel like a empty shell of an account?

So, I have a Gigabyte 270x 2 Gb card with a 4460 processor. Would it make sense to upgrade to the 380 4 gb? I prefer to play at 1080/60 mostly high settings and the 270 seems to be a bit limited in games like Fallout.

You'll get a reasonable bump in performance. How much do you have to spend on upgrades, and what are your system specs?

Other people in this thread have reported being messaged by someone trying to sell them Windows as well. I've never been messaged by him so I have no idea who he is, no idea if it's a scam. Is the guy an active poster or does it feel like a empty shell of an account?

Going through their post history they seem active enough, but that still doesn't mean I trust them.

kma780

Neo Member
You'll get a reasonable bump in performance. How much do you have to spend on upgrades, and what are your system specs?

Processor: Inter Core i5-4460 3.20Ghz. 4 cores,
Memory (Ram): 8Gb G skill sniper Ram 1886mhz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 270x Wind-force edition, Factory Overclock
Storage: Crucial 500 gb ssd.
Power Supply: Corsair CXM series 600 watt modular power-supply
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000
Motherboard: ASRock LGA 1150 Intel Sata 6 Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro atx

Looking to spend around $200 or so to tide me over for a year or two until I am ready to build a new pc.

ampere

Anyone have any luck getting Amazon to pricematch other sites like Superbiiz? Would be convenient to order everything from the same place

IMBored

Hi guys, I've been thinking about building a new pc, as my old one is struggling to run most new games. Honestly, if games like just cause 3 can run in 1080p 30 fps, medium settings, I'm fine with it. I still have a 775 socket motherboard, ddr2 memory, so mobo, memory, cpu and gpu are needed, and I've been paying no attention to tech talks since i5 cores were released. I'm from Europe tough, but even general advice is appreciated.

RGM79

Yeah I thought of that too. This should be able to tide me over for awhile at least

I forgot to say, the GPU being overclocked will not present any issues. I wouldn't really advise buying a new motherboard just to overclock when you could put the money toward a better processor in the first place. The FX-6300 just isn't very effective some for the latest games. In these tests by Eurogamer's Digital Foundry and Gamersnexus, the AMD processors cannot attain 60FPS in Fallout 4 at 1080p. It's worth noting that Gamersnexus tested 1080p medium settings and the 8 core AMD processors still just barely failed to attain a 60FPS average framerate. The Eurogamer benchmarking results do include the FX-6300 but only tested at 1080p ultra settings. It's possible that lowering the settings and overclocking the FX-6300 could get you 60FPS, but it's not definite?

Processor: Inter Core i5-4460 3.20Ghz. 4 cores,
Memory (Ram): 8Gb G skill sniper Ram 1886mhz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 270x Wind-force edition, Factory Overclock
Storage: Crucial 500 gb ssd.
Power Supply: Corsair CXM series 600 watt modular power-supply
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000
Motherboard: ASRock LGA 1150 Intel Sata 6 Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro atx

Looking to spend around $200 or so to tide me over for a year or two until I am ready to build a new pc.

Oh, the R9 380 is a smaller bump up from the 270X than the 270. I'm not so sure paying $200 for that level of performance is worth it, unless you were also selling your R9 270X to help make up the cost. What games do you play other than Fallout 4 that you feel the 270X to be lacking?

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my GPU. I only really use my PC for Blizzard games which are all generally well optimised and not the most demanding, so not looking for a top of the line card. I'm still using an old GTX 285 (which holds up well!) and my motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe V2.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the 750Ti as an affordable upgrade.

Lkr

is the R9 390 8GB model worth spending $75 more on than the GTX 960? i know the 390 is supposed to be the higher performance card, but there's the whole AMD driver issues and all of the big games these days seem to be nvidia optimized, so i'm not sure if the $75 difference is worth it. I only play at 1080p fwiw

UnrealEck

but there's the whole AMD driver issues and all of the big games these days seem to be nvidia optimized, so i'm not sure if the $75 difference is worth it. I only play at 1080p fwiw

There's no AMD driver issues. The problem is nVidia Corp intentionally screwing games up with their evil GameWorks implementation to cripple the righteous, holy AMD.
/s

RGM79

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my GPU. I only really use my PC for Blizzard games which are all generally well optimised and not the most demanding, so not looking for a top of the line card. I'm still using an old GTX 285 (which holds up well!) and my motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe V2.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the 750Ti as an affordable upgrade.

What's your budget for an upgrade? And the rest of your system specs? The motherboard is fine, all graphics cards made in the last ten years are so are compatible as long as they use a PCI-E slot.

is the R9 390 8GB model worth spending $75 more on than the GTX 960? i know the 390 is supposed to be the higher performance card, but there's the whole AMD driver issues and all of the big games these days seem to be nvidia optimized, so i'm not sure if the $75 difference is worth it. I only play at 1080p fwiw

The R9 390 is easily worth it if you afford it, it directly competes with the much stronger GTX 970. The performance to hold down 60FPS at higher settings than the GTX 960 for most games makes it pretty attractive, especially with the recent AMD price cut. No amount of Nvidia optimization outside of sabotage or lack of support for AMD would ever make a GTX 960 perform better than an R9 390. Besides, AMD's latest Crimson drivers are better. PCPer and Techreport noticed definite improvements in efficiency and frametimes, so driver issues aren't quite as bad as you've been led to believe. Could depend on the game though.

Thoughts on this deal?
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820721107
I need an SSD and have no clue which are good.

I highly recommend you do not purchase that SSD. Kingston is guilty of stunting the drive's performance by swapping in lower quality parts. It's pretty much a different SSD compared to the first version of it, except Kingston refuses to change the model number.

What's your budget for a new SSD? What size capacity are you looking for?

Arkanius

The huge jump from a 960 to a 390 is WORTH IT

RGM79

Buying PC components so looks like no luck there! Thanks for the link.

Trying to find deals on a i5-6500 skylake build. Not really seeing as many as I expected
Skylake is still new, so that's to be expected. You won't find much of a discount unless it's part of a package deal or something.

You can always go with a comparable but cheaper Haswell build if you want to save money.

kma780

Neo Member
Oh, the R9 380 is a smaller bump up from the 270X than the 270. I'm not so sure paying $200 for that level of performance is worth it, unless you were also selling your R9 270X to help make up the cost. What games do you play other than Fallout 4 that you feel the 270X to be lacking?

Ah ok then I guess I ll hold off then, thanks. the 270x has been really good for me but the last two games ive played FO 4 and AC Syndicate I wasnt able to get a consistent 60 fps so I was looking at an affordable upgrade before making a new pc. I might just roll with this for another year or so and then build new.

What's your budget for an upgrade? And the rest of your system specs? The motherboard is fine, all graphics cards made in the last ten years are so are compatible as long as they use a PCI-E slot.

Under $150 really as like I said, I don't use it for high performance games so don't want to spend money for sake of it. Here is quick rundown of system:

PSU 750W
i7 920 CPU
GTX 285 GPU
8GB DDR3 RAM (just upgraded to this)

RGM79

Ah ok then I guess I ll hold off then, thanks. the 270x has been really good for me but the last two games ive played FO 4 and AC Syndicate I wasnt able to get a consistent 60 fps so I was looking at an affordable upgrade before making a new pc. I might just roll with this for another year or so and then build new.

The i5 4460 can achieve 60FPS in most if not all games at 1080p. A new graphics card can help, but you'd need to look at a bigger upgrade. According to Techspot the R9 380 2GB can't reach 60FPS (1080p ultra was tested), but that may or may not have to do with graphics settings and that it's the 2GB model of that card.

I would recommend that any future graphics cards you upgrade to should have 4GB of VRAM or more. Assassin's Creed Syndicate is fairly intensive on system specs, even a R9 380 probably isn't enough on 1080p medium settings as the slightly faster R9 380X couldn't do it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Just got the 6700K . . . hope it's worth its tax.

img_20151127_100637jfo4m.jpg

And with that, I begin the journey into PC building.

Alright, I'll stop and I'll leave you be with your water cooler, then. The H440 you were looking at also has dust filters, by the way.
It's fine. :p

Is the main reason just that it's too expensive or that in the end it's not really worth the hassle of having it be water cooled?

How is the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX Motherboard? It's supposed to be around $100 at B&H.

OraleeWey

Is the main reason just that it's too expensive or that in the end it's not really worth the hassle of having it be water cooled?

WaterCooling, it's worth it if you want to keep your PC at lower temps. But the water block will get dusty and installing it may require some help. I couldn't do it myself and I asked my cousin to help me. I have a 280mm CPU radiator. To be honest, it didn't help much with the temperatures on my i7 4790k. It was identical like my Phanteks (which I had before). I should note that I never overclocked it. However, I did notice better temperatures from my Video Card's water cooler.

Okay, I'm ready to start buying these parts now. All parts are final except the case. Wanted to ask if anyone had a case like the
Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case. Opting to go with that one because this PC will be used "like" a console. Games and Netflix, for a relative. So it will be out in the living room. This is the one that I'm changing from.

Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.45 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($20.00)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $237.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 13:03 EST-0500

And odd question. Am I damaging my PC if I hit the power to drain the electricity that's left when I flip the PSU switch to off? Meaning my PC will turn on for a second or two and then power off fully because it was drained of power.

RGM79

Under $150 really as like I said, I don't use it for high performance games so don't want to spend money for sake of it. Here is quick rundown of system:

PSU 750W
i7 920 CPU
GTX 285 GPU
8GB DDR3 RAM (just upgraded to this)

Does that include rebates or not? If yes, then the best graphics card for that much money would be this XFX R9 380 2GB model, but it costs $142 after $30 rebate. If not, then aim for a GTX 950 which starts at around $130.

A GTX 750 Ti would be even cheaper, but I don't know how far you want to go to save money.

Just got the 6700K . . . hope it's worth its tax.

img_20151127_100637jfo4m.jpg

And with that, I begin the journey into PC building.

It's fine. :p

How is the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX Motherboard? It's supposed to be around $100 at B&H.
Prebuilt all-in-one water cooling kits aren't a hassle. In some cases they're even easier to install than tower style air coolers. Although the best (read: most expensive) water coolers will beat the best (and most expensive) air coolers, for the same amount of money most water coolers won't be as good as a decent air cooler for performance or noise levels.

That and I personally have had poor experiences with 3 out of the 4 prebuilt water cooling kits I've personally handled and installed in PCs. One failed after the coolant leaked (my own PC), another had its pump fail, and the third still works but produces a bubbling noise like an aquarium air pump (last two were in my friends' PCs). The fourth one was a Corsair H100i that still works well going from the last time I heard from a client I built a workstation for.

That motherboard should be pretty decent by all accounts. Skip the Killer NIC software and only install the Killer NIC driver. The software is pointless bloatware.

WaterCooling, it's worth it if you want to keep your PC at lower temps. But the water block will get dusty and installing it may require some help. I couldn't do it myself and I asked my cousin to help me. I have a 280mm CPU radiator. To be honest, it didn't help much with the temperatures on my i7 4790k. It was identical like my Phanteks (which I had before). I should note that I never overclocked it. However, I did notice better temperatures from my Video Card's water cooler.

Okay, I'm ready to start buying these parts now. All parts are final except the case. Wanted to ask if anyone had a case like the
Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case. Opting to go with that one because this PC will be used "like" a console. Games and Netflix, for a relative. So it will be out in the living room. This is the one that I'm changing from.

Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.45 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($20.00)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $237.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 13:03 EST-0500

And odd question. Am I damaging my PC if I hit the power to drain the electricity that's left when I flip the PSU switch to off? Meaning my PC will turn on for a second or two and then power off fully because it was drained of power.

Nah, hitting the power button won't damage it. In fact, I've seen it recommended sometimes. Some people do that before opening up the PC to work on the inside because it discharges any electricity still stored inside the capacitors. Wouldn't want to get unexpectedly shocked, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom