• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use this guide for cloning everything over.

I actually found this randomly the other day and cloned a drive with it. It's important to realize that you cannot arbitrarily resize partitions using that tool anymore. Modern drives have multiple hidden partitions for the system boot image and recovery which mucks the whole thing up.

I've been using the Samsung Data Migration tool, if you happen to have a Samsung SSD it makes drive cloning a 1-click process and that tool properly resizes your primary partition to fill up the entire new larger disk without you doing anything.

If you don't, I don't really know what to do. That Macrium Reflect tool was useless for cloning a 256 GB drive to a 500 GB drive the other day for me, I ended up with a 256 GB cloned image and another 250 GB or so of unallocated space that I could only create a new partition to use up. I was sad that I couldn't use the Samsung tool like I usually do but this wasn't my computer and there were no Samsung SSDs in sight.

RGM79

I actually found this randomly the other day and cloned a drive with it. It's important to realize that you cannot arbitrarily resize partitions using that tool anymore. Modern drives have multiple hidden partitions for the system boot image and recovery which mucks the whole thing up.

I've been using the Samsung Data Migration tool, if you happen to have a Samsung SSD it makes drive cloning a 1-click process and that tool properly resizes your primary partition to fill up the entire new larger disk without you doing anything.

If you don't, I don't really know what to do. That Macrium Reflect tool was useless for cloning a 256 GB drive to a 500 GB drive the other day for me, I ended up with a 256 GB cloned image and another 250 GB or so of unallocated space that I could only create a new partition to use up. I was sad that I couldn't use the Samsung tool like I usually do but this wasn't my computer and there were no Samsung SSDs in sight.

Really? That's weird. I used Reflect Free just two weeks ago to move my dad's stuff from a 320GB HDD to a 120GB SSD. It saw all of the hidden partitions just fine, I even resized them all to save space and fit the OS partition onto the smaller drive.

Edit: Just so you know, you can't resize the partition if you're currently running the OS off it. You'll have to use something else to access and manage the partition like Gparted or the Macrium Reflect rescue environment to do it.

Did you check all the "cloned partition properties" including these options windows? I have the ability to resize that system partition, no problem.
yDVZMzj.jpg

Really? That's weird. I used Reflect Free just two weeks ago to move my dad's stuff from a 320GB HDD to a 120GB SSD. It saw all of the hidden partitions just fine, I even resized them all to save space and fit the OS partition onto the smaller drive.

Edit: Just so you know, you can't resize the partition if you're currently running the OS off it. You'll have to use something else to access and manage the partition like Gparted or the Macrium Reflect rescue environment to do it.

Did you check all the "cloned partition properties" including these options windows? I have the ability to resize that system partition, no problem.
yDVZMzj.jpg

Yep, "cloned partition properties" didn't appear for me. At all. Yes, I did double-check it was the partition on the clone drive, not the original drive with the OS on it. I read the directions very carefully before I started and that's why I was baffled when it all fell apart for me at the end without being able to resize the partitions.

So, I'd like PCGAF advice in building a new rig... Is what I'm planning below feasible for the price point? I'm not planning to get fancy mechanical keyboards/gaming mice just yet, I'm talking strictly the PC tower itself (er, and the monitor). Just filling out the form in the OT, sorry if Im doing this wrong..

Your Current Specs: None. I have a laptop that plays most games, but am looking to get a home rig for that real power/value for money.
Budget: USD 1,800-2,000/Php 84,600-94,000, country is Philippines
Main Use: Basically I just need a PC that's future proof enough to run most anything for the next couple of years.
Monitor Resolution: Buying a new monitor, but not fussy as long as everything looks nice. Not very knowlegeable when it comes to display.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps minimum I guess, even on say bad ports like Koei Tecmo Musou games. Is PhysX really important?
Looking to reuse any parts?: No parts to reuse.
When will you build?: Probably by end Q1 2016? Not in a rush.
Will you be overclocking?: No, I'm useless when it comes to tinkering.

Also, given that I live in a tropical country, I suppose an extra focus on cooling is required? Outside temps here can get as bad as 36 degrees celsius in the summer.

Edit: Also, Im getting this rig partially because I want a PC that's VR compatible... So if there's any additional things i need to focus on to ensure everything works fine, go nuts. :)

obin_gam

I have an "old" GeForce GTX660TI which I'm gonna try out before buying a new computer.

BUT! I only have 1 PCI power cord for it. Could it work with just one (it has two next to each other) or do I need to go buy a second one.

ISee

I have an "old" GeForce GTX660TI which I'm gonna try out before buying a new computer.

BUT! I only have 1 PCI power cord for it. Could it work with just one (it has two next to each other) or do I need to go buy a second one.

Get a second one. With just one it may work for desktop 'n stuff but not for gaming.

avel2k6

Neo Member
Hi, GAF!
Help me please choose between 7200 rpm HDD (1 TB WD Green) vs 5400 SSHD (Seagate) for Steam gaming library. Which is better?

Jisgsaw

So stupid question: I brought a 4k monitor recently and my gtx 960 may get into some difficulties.
Is now a good time to buy a new CG or are new models coming out in the near future?

RGM79

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XtrtMp

Is this a decent build? Already have a Psu case and hdd

It's for a friend who says he doesn't care about overclocking the cpu

If someone has a better suggestion for mobo im all ears

What existing parts do you already have? I would not recommend that motherboard, it only has a 3/5 rating so far with a large percentage of poor reviews (48% of them are 1 and 2 stars), there are complaints about the motherboard not working and acting in bizarre ways. It also lacks USB 3.1 which my suggestion does have. Also if not overclocking then the Hyper 212 Evo heatsink is not really needed as the CPU will come with a basic cooler in the box. I'd recommend these parts instead:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($81.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $763.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 11:05 EST-0500

This build has DDR4 RAM (DDR3 isn't recommended for Skylake in case it's not totally compatible and possibly damaging due to the much higher voltage), a larger 250GB SSD, and a much cheaper EVGA GTX 970 that is slightly faster (1.14GHz vs 1.19Ghz) that is also quieter and has a zero fan speed mode at low temperatures. There's not really any need for a water-cooled GTX 970 unless he's planning to overclock it, and if you say your friend has no plans to overclock the CPU, I'm also going to assume the same for the GPU.

What existing parts do you already have? I would not recommend that motherboard, it only has a 3/5 rating so far with a large percentage of poor reviews (48% of them are 1 and 2 stars), there are complaints about the motherboard not working and acting in bizarre ways. It also lacks USB 3.1 which my suggestion does have. Also if not overclocking then the Hyper 212 Evo heatsink is not really needed as the CPU will come with a basic cooler in the box. I'd recommend
He already has the case, hdd, and psu. And I just suggested the hybrid because I have the 980ti hybrid and love it. That I'll probably teach him to oc. But the mobo ssd and ram suggestions I'll gladly take. I haven't kept up to date on mobos especially since it's been almost 2 years since I purchased mine

RGM79

He already has the case, hdd, and psu. And I just suggested the hybrid because I have the 980ti hybrid and love it. That I'll probably teach him to oc. But the mobo ssd and ram suggestions I'll gladly take. I haven't kept up to date on mobos especially since it's been almost 2 years since I purchased mine

Yes, you already mentioned that in your initial post, I was wondering if you knew what case and PSU he had.

mr.rager

Hey guys I got a question.

I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop, I currently have a 2600k and a gtx 670. I was wondering if I should upgrade my video card or both the card and the CPU.

RGM79

Oh, that's all great stuff. No worries, I was thinking there might be something old or incompatible there.

Hey guys I got a question.

I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop, I currently have a 2600k and a gtx 670. I was wondering if I should upgrade my video card or both the card and the CPU.

Just upgrade your graphics card. Your processor is still very good, especially if overclocked.

Arcteryx

Still undecided on whether to pick up the 980ti now and then sell it later when Pascal drops or not. Aside from that, I'm thinking the following build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1318.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 12:58 EST-0500

Anything noteworthy I should consider instead? This is going to be coupled with a 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor that I have already.

Nafe

Hello, I'm not sure I have the correct thread for this, so if not then I apologize.

I just have a bit of a tech. question I'm not really sure about.

I've been mostly a console user when it comes to playing video games but I've been taking a look at the Steam service.
I was recommended the site "http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri" as a suggestion to see if my computer could run different games.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 8400 graphics card which is apparently integrated as part of the computer. The site says it apparently passes all minimum requirements for different games but only has 497.8MB of "Dedicated Video RAM" where 512MB are required.

Taking a look at something like the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution though and it just lists "video RAM", not dedicated. It says it only needs 128MB where I apparently have 4GB.

I guess my question is how important is one compared to the other for video RAM?
The site is more of a guide and apparently not 100% accurate, so is it correct in that I wouldn't be able to play the games not having the required "dedicated video RAM" or would it maybe still be possible with 4GB of just "video RAM"?

Thanks.

e90Mark

Still undecided on whether to pick up the 980ti now and then sell it later when Pascal drops or not. Aside from that, I'm thinking the following build:

snip

I was pondering the same dilemma and ended up getting a 980 ti to use while waiting until the next xx80ti from Pascal drops, then sell.

RGM79

Hello, I'm not sure I have the correct thread for this, so if not then I apologize.

I just have a bit of a tech. question I'm not really sure about.

I've been mostly a console user when it comes to playing video games but I've been taking a look at the Steam service.
I was recommended the site "http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri" as a suggestion to see if my computer could run different games.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 8400 graphics card which is apparently integrated as part of the computer. The site says it apparently passes all minimum requirements for different games but only has 497.8MB of "Dedicated Video RAM" where 512MB are required.

Taking a look at something like the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution though and it just lists "video RAM", not dedicated. It says it only needs 128MB where I apparently have 4GB.

I guess my question is how important is one compared to the other for video RAM?
The site is more of a guide and apparently not 100% accurate, so is it correct in that I wouldn't be able to play the games not having the required "dedicated video RAM" or would it maybe still be possible with 4GB of just "video RAM"?

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend that website, it can incorrectly detect your computer's specs sometimes and as you said, is apparently not 100% accurate. Can you run a system information tool like Speccy and show us a screenshot or share the info text file (File > Save as Text file...) with us? You could also show us a screenshot from the display tab of dxdiag. It looks like this and will tell us how much video memory there is.

Video RAM or VRAM is not everything when it comes to running games. Going off what you've said, your integrated graphics is somewhat weak. It will be able to run some games, but not with nice looking details and/or decent framerate, but that will depend on what game you want to play. For example, Deus Ex: Human Revolution doesn't actually list any video RAM requirements as far as I know. The steam store page for DE:HR will tell you what the accurate PC requirements are, and if you scroll down it lists "NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better" for the graphics card. I could be wrong, but I think graphics cards of that era back then had 256 or 512MB of VRAM.

When it comes to integrated graphics, it won't have any dedicated video RAM of its own. It will use part of your PC's system RAM instead. It will work, but slower than if it had actual graphics VRAM. I'm not sure if you actually have 4GB of VRAM (it's doubtful) or if that's how much system RAM you have in total and part of it is being used as VRAM (much more likely), but if I had to guess, you should be able to play a game like DE:HR, just don't expect high quality graphics.

Nafe

I wouldn't recommend that website, it can incorrectly detect your computer's specs sometimes and as you said, is apparently not 100% accurate. Can you run a system information tool like Speccy and show us a screenshot or share the info text file (File > Save as Text file...) with us? You could also show us a screenshot from the display tab of dxdiag. It looks like this and will tell us how much video memory there is.

Video RAM or VRAM is not everything when it comes to running games. Going off what you've said, your integrated graphics is somewhat weak. It will be able to run some games, but not with nice looking details and/or decent framerate, but that will depend on what game you want to play. For example, Deus Ex: Human Revolution doesn't actually list any video RAM requirements as far as I know. The steam store page for DE:HR will tell you what the accurate PC requirements are, and if you scroll down it lists "NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better" for the graphics card. I could be wrong, but I think graphics cards of that era back then had 256 or 512MB of VRAM.

When it comes to integrated graphics, it won't have any dedicated video RAM of its own. It will use part of your PC's system RAM instead. It will work, but slower than if it had actual graphics VRAM. I'm not sure if you actually have 4GB of VRAM (it's doubtful) or if that's how much system RAM you have in total and part of it is being used as VRAM (much more likely), but if I had to guess, you should be able to play a game like DE:HR, just don't expect high quality graphics.

OK, it came with an AMD A6-5200 APU Processor (4 CPUs approx. 2GHz it says) and 8GB of RAM but under display it says approximate total memory is 4081MB.

Taking a look and it seems integrated cards are usually weaker than standalone or dedicated graphics cards (however you would word that).

This might be another vague or difficult question but how is the Xbox 360 compared to minimum requirements to a lot of console games on Steam?

Initially I was just looking at Steam for more Indie type titles or some games from older systems like say the Ys RPG series or shooters from the company CAVE. With some console games being cheaper on Steam I was just wondering if my computer could at least match the Xbox 360 was all. That and maybe more games that had been out for two or three years and not really the newest titles.

There seems to be a lot of 30FPS versus 60FPS threads on NeoGaf but I think a lot or most PS3/360 games ran at 30FPS? That's fine with me then for example.

It would be nice to save a bit but if it would just be a lot easier to run them on an Xbox 360 or PS3 then I'd just stick with the consoles and go back to my initial plan of looking at Steam for more Indie/older titles.

RGM79

OK, it came with an AMD A6-5200 APU Processor (4 CPUs approx. 2GHz it says) and 8GB of RAM but under display it says approximate total memory is 4081MB.

Taking a look and it seems integrated cards are usually weaker than standalone or dedicated graphics cards (however you would word that).

This might be another vague or difficult question but how is the Xbox 360 compared to minimum requirements to a lot of console games on Steam?

Initially I was just looking at Steam for more Indie type titles or some games from older systems like say the Ys RPG series or shooters from the company CAVE. With some console games being cheaper on Steam I was just wondering if my computer could at least match the Xbox 360 was all. That and maybe more games that had been out for two or three years and not really the newest titles.

There seems to be a lot of 30FPS versus 60FPS threads on NeoGaf but I think a lot or most PS3/360 games ran at 30FPS? That's fine with me then for example.

It would be nice to save a bit but if it would just be a lot easier to run them on an Xbox 360 or PS3 then I'd just stick with the consoles and go back to my initial plan of looking at Steam for more Indie/older titles.
It's somewhat difficult to say if your PC can match an XB360 for most multiplatform games. It might do better for older titles, and definitely better for indie games. Yes, most console games of the PS3/360 generation ran at 30FPS.

When it comes to PC gaming with multi-platform titles, it's not always a straight port of the console game and different developers will optimize their games differently. Sometimes console ports run well, sometimes they're awful. It's not exactly friendly to newcomers, but the best thing to do is to look at it on a game-by-game basis. For example, Dead Rising 3 and Batman Arkham Knight are just awful on PC and the console experience is so much better polished and stable. Then there's examples like MGSV that I can just barely run on my laptop on the lowest settings (i7 3rd generation processor with integrated graphics), or Tales of Zestiria which I can run at maximum graphics settings very smoothly on the same laptop (at 30FPS, I know there's a working 60FPS mod patch for the PC version but haven't tried it).

Hi guys, I am building a low profile gaming machine for my aunt which will double as a media center. I don't intend to get an enthusiast level of performance out of it but would like to know what your opinion would be. What I would like to achieve is to be able to play current games at 2560 x 1080. Country is Switzerland :

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K ($80.50 @ Digitec)
CPU Cooler: -
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (FM2+, AMD A88X, Mini ITX) ($112.50 @ Digitec)
Memory: HyperX Fury Black (2x, 4GB, DDR3-1600, DIMM 240) ($48.40 @ Digitec)
SSD: Crucial MX200 (250GB, 2.5") ($99.00 @ Digitec)
Video Card: MSI R9 380 OC 2GD5T (2GB) ($201.50 @ Digitec)
Case: Fractal Node 202 (HTPC, Schwarz) ($99.20 @ Digitec)
Power Supply: Silverstone SST-ST45SF (450W) ($74.30 @ Digitec)
Optical Drive: -
Case Fan: -
Total: $714.40

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestion you might have.

Nafe

It's somewhat difficult to say if your PC can match an XB360 for most multiplatform games. It might do better for older titles, and definitely better for indie games. Yes, most console games of the PS3/360 generation ran at 30FPS.

When it comes to PC gaming with multi-platform titles, it's not always a straight port of the console game and different developers will optimize their games differently. Sometimes console ports run well, sometimes they're awful. It's not exactly friendly to newcomers, but the best thing to do is to look at it on a game-by-game basis. For example, Dead Rising 3 and Batman Arkham Knight are just awful on PC and the console experience is so much better polished and stable. Then there's examples like MGSV that I can just barely run on my laptop on the lowest settings (i7 3rd generation processor with integrated graphics), or Tales of Zestiria which I can run at maximum graphics settings very smoothly on the same laptop (at 30FPS, I know there's a working 60FPS mod patch for the PC version but haven't tried it).

OK, thanks for your help and replying to my questions.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1318.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-30 12:58 EST-0500

Anything noteworthy I should consider instead? This is going to be coupled with a 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor that I have already.

I'd go with the 970 if you want to upgrade next year anyway.

Battery systems like that exist for emergencies, they're called uninterruptible power supplies. They're basically meant to let the computer have enough time to finish up whatever it's doing and shut down safely so as to prevent damage and loss of data. They're also quite heavy, so you would be extremely limited by both weight and power. Laptops are much less cumbersome and better suited to what you want to do.

Yeah, I see it's not there yet.

Is the difference that PC parts consume that much more energy?
In the situation I'm proposing, the monitor would be powered separately.

If a laptop with screen can run for a couple hours or more on a battery, couldn't a small form factor PC of similar components?

I guess I'm waiting for the day when the gap between laptop and PC is blurred.

Hey guys, been out of the PC game for quite awhile so have no idea what is good or not these days. Nvidia 8800 GT that was in my mom's PC just died. Can anyone recommend a good/cheapo card to replace it with? Looking for something around $50 and with at least HDMI out. This is a 75% Facebook machine and 25% Plex/Netflix/Amazon/Youtube. Would prefer from Amazon since I have Prime but it isn't a big deal since she could just use her tablet till another card comes in.

Thanks for any help.

Hey guys, been out of the PC game for quite awhile so have no idea what is good or not these days. Nvidia 8800 GT that was in my mom's PC just died. Can anyone recommend a good/cheapo card to replace it with? Looking for something around $50 and with at least HDMI out. This is a 75% Facebook machine and 25% Plex/Netflix/Amazon/Youtube. Would prefer from Amazon since I have Prime but it isn't a big deal since she could just use her tablet till another card comes in.

Thanks for any help.
I would probably look used. But what CPU does she have? If it's recent ish it might have an integrated gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom