• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e90Mark

This guy managed to fit three (!) 120mm water coolers into his Corsair Air 240 case. He has them mounted on the front mounts as intakes in a staggered fashion so they fit together just perfectly.
dennis-sys3.jpg
Okay, wow. That's amazing.

Do you have any idea how he got the radiator in the back? I'm not totally familar with how you can disconnect these AIO coolers.

That's probably how I would setup for the Hybrid.
im gonna try and do this except the CPU will be in push/pull, or maybe ill just orient it's fan/radiator on the ceiling which could allow me to have the GPU in push/pull as well

dennis-sys2.jpg
No way I could get a rad plus fan on the top of mine. There's literally no space with just a fan up top.

he must've cut a hole or something

i have another idea that maybe the cpu's heatsink can come out of the back of the case through one of the rubber grommets with its fan/radiator placed at the back of the case..

Rizific

just got my first 144hz monitor (vg248qe) and im looking to upgrade my 7950. was eyeing the 970 but its just a tad more than i want to spend ($300). but if its the best choice within that range i dont mind. any other gpus i should consider?

kuYuri

Got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and I'm thinking about using it to upgrade a computer part. I want to replace the piece that will gain me the most benefits. Looking to replace either the CPU, GPU, or add more RAM (which I think would be the smallest benefit).

Anyway here's what I'm running.

i5 2500K @ 4.0Ghz
GTX 770 (2GB I believe)
8GB RipJaws RAM

Should I upgrade the CPU or just snag a 970, or wait?

Your CPU is fine, especially if you get into overclocking. A video card like a 970 will be a more meaningful upgrade. Also if you don't have an SSD installed in there, consider getting one, it's a nice upgrade too.

just got my first 144hz monitor (vg248qe) and im looking to upgrade my 7950. was eyeing the 970 but its just a tad more than i want to spend ($300). but if its the best choice within that range i dont mind. any other gpus i should consider?

R9 390 can sometimes be had a little cheaper, otherwise you're only other choice would be going down to a 4GB 960/R9 380/R9 380X.

GnawtyDog

Banned

For $300 you can have a 970/390 easily I think.

Just check Jet.com regularly for price drops and keep that 20% discount for new accounts nearby. What's the current one?

SCARYMOMMY2015 works. $50 off easily. I would assume you want an 8GB card version.

ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB - https://jet.com/product/Asus-STRIX-Radeon-R9-390-Overclocked-8-GB-DDR5-512-bit-DisplayPort-HDMI-14a-DVI-/1911f627fcc642ee8aad6330a8e0ee26

Apply coupon = $289.99.

$20 Mail and Rebate at the Asus site (manufacturer) for the whole month of December - not retailer specific: https://asus.4myrebate.com/

ZFQHWVn.jpg

RPlh2ik.jpg

(I recommend fast-processing = - $2, so you come about $18).

That's a total of $68 savings, $50 up front.

All ASUS cards have mail and rebates and I have bought from them and claimed rebates from them without a hitch. I do ALWAYS pay the fast processing fee. I bought my Video Card the Monday after Black Friday since nothing worth a dime came up on Newegg or any other website. It pays off, got the prepaid card last week - see:

X88SUM2.jpg

For a $30 rebate, they discount $3.

Great deals out there for anyone wanting to get into the mix. A 960, 4GB can be had for dirt cheap on Jet. If you happen to get an ASUS STRIX, $20 mail and rebate no problem too.

Ultryx

The CPU is fine. You should already have enough RAM to not have any issues, but DDR3 is cheap enough to get more of without breaking the bank. Another 8GB of DDR3 will run you only $40 or less. A GTX 970 would be a very nice upgrade. What you should get depends on how much you want to spend. What's your budget for upgrades?

Yeah I figured upgrading another 8GB of RAM wouldn't be that expensive. If my CPU is generally fine, then I'll probably just upgrade the GPU. The next wave of NVIDIA chips aren't due to come out until late next year right?

Your CPU is fine, especially if you get into overclocking. A video card like a 970 will be a more meaningful upgrade. Also if you don't have an SSD installed in there, consider getting one, it's a nice upgrade too.

R9 390 can sometimes be had a little cheaper, otherwise you're only other choice would be going down to a 4GB 960/R9 380/R9 380X.

I don't have anything against the AMD cards, but I generally stick with NVIDIA. I'm thinking the 970 might be right up my alley. Oh, and I do have an SSD :)

LilJoka

Lol. I thought so. Silverstone makes a couple but they are more intended for NAS use.

Yeah not sure what do, wanted a tower type to save on footprint but don't think anything exists, here's the plan:

Node 304 server
i7 3770 - downclock, reduce vcore and disable HT.
16gb ddr3
P8Z77I Deluxe ITX
Seasonic 620w
Crucial M4 - Win 10
Intel 520 - OS X
3xHDD
Hyper 212

Node 304 gaming
i7 6700k - £140
16gb ddr4 -£80
Asus Z170 ITX - £100
GTX 970
EVGA supernova G2 650w - £78
2xIntel 520 raid0
HDD 3TB
Venomous X

CrisysCoreBR

Neo Member
Guys, hi!
My first post on the topic, so please be patiente with me hehe
I decided to finally update my old gaming rig to something that can actually play some new games and emulators (Wii, GC and PS2).
I bought a PS4 a couple of months ago but the games are too expansive here in Brazil, so I thought of getting an better PC to run the new multiplat games at least better than the PS4 (an also the emulators that I mentoned earlier). PC games are much cheaper here.
My current Specs: Q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz / ATI HD5770
I want to pay the least possible for this, but I also don't want this to be obsolete in six months :/
Thanks.

TaterTots

Banned
Just thought I would pop back in here and thank everyone for the suggestions. I put the PC together just fine thanks to a Austin Evans vid. I went with the entry build that people suggested(i3 4170/gtx 960/16 gb RAM). I figure late next year I'll grab a 4690k and a after market cooler and oc it. I'll look into the new Nvidia cards as well. Thanks!

kennah

Yeah not sure what do, wanted a tower type to save on footprint but don't think anything exists, here's the plan:

Node 304 server
i7 3770 - downclock, reduce vcore and disable HT.
16gb ddr3
P8Z77I Deluxe ITX
Seasonic 620w
Crucial M4 - Win 10
Intel 520 - OS X
3xHDD
Hyper 212

Node 304 gaming
i7 6700k - £140
16gb ddr4 -£80
Asus Z170 ITX - £100
GTX 970
EVGA supernova G2 650w - £78
2xIntel 520 raid0
HDD 3TB
Venomous X
That's why there is two colours friend.

Celegus

This was my build from Black Friday sales:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ Mac Mall)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $856.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 20:53 EST-0500

But I'm totally confused and underwhelmed at the actual performance. The newest game I had when I put it together was Bioshock Infinite which ran great, getting 90-100 fps on high settings. I tried the Black Ops 3 free weekend and was only getting 30-40 fps on medium settings, which seemed odd. Now I just bought Lightning Returns, and it's mostly doing 25-30 fps on 1920x1080 with no advanced settings on. It sometimes jumps to 60 fps when there's not a lot going on or in menus, but it bounces back and forth so quickly that it makes the stuttering even more noticeable.

I just used the Display Driver Uninstaller to clean out any old drivers that may have been around and reinstalled the newest ones, but it didn't help. Temps seem okay, stays in the 50s and 60s. GPU load spikes like crazy though, literally goes from 0% to 100% and back every couple seconds according to the GPU-Z readout. It also randomly shoots up to 100% even when nothing is running, or is that normal? Any ideas or other things to test?

Just ran 3D Mark Fire Strike with a score of 6827, which seems pretty normal. Unigine Valley on high 1080p was 2967 averaging 70 fps. Something could have been set wrong on Black Ops since I only played it for like 30 minutes, but I've heard good things about the Lightning Returns port and my PC should be able to handle it no problem, so I'm getting a little stumped.

SarBear

So I've been really considering a good AIO water cooler for my setup. I currently have a phanteks thats....all right, but I'm not satisfied where my system is at.

I've been looking and reading reviews, trying to make a decision between the Corsair line and maybe even Deep cool captain 360?

My setup includes:

I7 5820k @4.4 ghz
Msi x99a sli plus
Msi 980
Corsair 16 gb ram
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Corsair 500r

Can anyone recommended a decent water cooler and a pair of decent fans to go with it? And is the Corsair h100i GT really a better product than the GTX?

So I've been really considering a good AIO water cooler for my setup. I currently have a Noctua thats....all right, but I'm not satisfied where my system is at.

I've been looking and reading reviews, trying to make a decision between the Corsair line and maybe even Deep cool captain 360?

My setup includes:

I7 5820k @4.4 ghz
Msi x99a sli plus
Msi 980
Corsair 16 gb ram
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair 500r

Can anyone recommended a decent water cooler and a pair of decent fans to go with it? And is the Corsair h100i GT really a better product than the GTX?

Which Noctua? The big ones are hard to beat without a full custom loop setup.

Joco

Well shit. Put together all my parts on my first build, probably spent a good 10 hours on it over the course of two days, and when I finally thought it was done I hooked it up to the monitor but it won't turn on. I guess I go over all the cabling now?

komplanen

Well shit. Put together all my parts on my first build, probably spent a good 10 hours on it over the course of two days, and when I finally thought it was done I hooked it up to the monitor but it won't turn on. I guess I go over all the cabling now?

Yes. What happens when you press the power button?

komplanen

Make sure your PSU is switched on
Make sure your case's power button is wired correctly to the motherboard
Make sure the PSU's 24-pin and 4/8-pin cables are properly connected to the motherboard

Also keep the case open when you try to power the computer on. Observe if the CPU fans twitch

Joco

Make sure your PSU is switched on
Make sure your case's power button is wired correctly to the motherboard
Make sure the PSU's 24-pin and 4/8-pin cables are properly connected to the motherboard

Also keep the case open when you try to power the computer on. Observe if the CPU fans twitch

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I didn't plug in a 10-pin connector on my PSU. It turned on after that. Thankfully!

Hi all. So finally after lurking through this post for months the time has come. I beg you some help to choose the internal parts to fit a BitFenix Prodigy M Case (mATX, a present from my wife. I asked for a Phenom but well, that's what I get). I'm going to put some rules so I can get the proper help:

I want:
- Please, articles from Amazon.es
- Quiet system (do you recommend a simple water cooling kit?)
- Able to play Project Cars (1080p/60) and upcoming VR games (playable)
- A skylake CPU and a system upgradable to Pascal
- A 970 card
- One SSD and one HDD
- It's going to be a gaming system plugged on a TV
- On a small case, would be a good idea to have a modular PSU?
- Wifi (on board if possible)

I do not need:
- An optical drive
- Keyboard, mouse, monitor

Money is not a problem but, of course, no need to waste on minimal upgrades. Also, the case has a 5,25' bay. Any interesting display to put in there?

Thanks for your help because i do not know the differences between all the 970 cards or skylake mainboards.

komplanen said:
In your shoes I would buy these

Thanks a lot for the large reply, even with links. I'm going to wait one day for a possible reply of another gaffer before doing a compulsive buy and if nobody answers I'll buy your suggestions

Joco

Ok so I finally got my computer up and running but I seem to have another issue. I don't really know how to describe it other than these lightly flickering lines that kind of move up and down the screen. This is most noticeable on darker backgrounds (first noticed it when I loaded up Steam for the first time). Is this a monitor issue? Could it be graphics card related? I'm using this BenQ monitor I bought during Black Friday.

komplanen

Ok so I finally got my computer up and running but I seem to have another issue. I don't really know how to describe it other than these lightly flickering lines that kind of move up and down the screen. This is most noticeable on darker backgrounds (first noticed it when I loaded up Steam for the first time). Is this a monitor issue? Could it be graphics card related? I'm using this BenQ monitor I bought during Black Friday.

What cable are you using? If possible, try other ports and cables first.

komplanen

Hi all. So finally after lurking through this post for months the time has come. I beg you some help to choose the internal parts to fit a BitFenix Prodigy M Case (mATX, a present from my wife. I asked for a Phenom but well, that's what I get). I'm going to put some rules so I can get the proper help:

I want:
- Please, articles from Amazon.es
- Quiet system (do you recommend a simple water cooling kit?)
- Able to play Project Cars (1080p/60) and upcoming VR games (playable)
- A skylake CPU and a system upgradable to Pascal
- A 970 card
- One SSD and one HDD
- It's going to be a gaming system plugged on a TV
- On a small case, would be a good idea to have a modular PSU?
- Wifi (on board if possible)

I do not need:
- An optical drive
- Keyboard, mouse, monitor

Money is not a problem but, of course, no need to waste on minimal upgrades. Also, the case has a 5,25' bay. Any interesting display to put in there?

Thanks for your help because i do not know the differences between all the 970 cards or skylake mainboards.

In your shoes I would buy these:

Motherboard:
MSI Z170M Mortar
+ mATX
+ MSI is a good brand
+ Z170 for overclocking
+ MSI Cash Back offer means you'll get 25€ on your bank account after purchase

CPU:
+ Skylake
+ Overclockable
+ Powerful

RAM
2x8GB Kingston HyperX 2133Mhz DDR
+/- Not sure but I bet 2133Mhz is enough, someone else weigh in on this
Only need 8GB for some reason? Here.

GPU
MSI 970 Gaming
+I'm not a MSI fanboy but this one is cheap right now

EDIT: Here's cheaper and EVGA is a solid brand.
Evga 970

PSU:
Evga Supernova G2 850W
+ One of the best PSU's ever made. Register it at Evga.com for a ridiculous 10 year long warranty. Read review here. You'll find good ones for half the price of course, but this is one of those PSU's you'll buy now and you'll use it for the next couple of builds. If it breaks, 10 year manufacturer warranty has you covered. Other gaffers can recommend cheaper alternatives, I won't bother. PSU's improve so rarely I'd rather buy one that is really good for years to come. PS. Your system could easily work with the 650W version but this one is intended if you buy a new beefier build 3+ years from now or want to use SLI. 650W version is only 30-40€ cheaper and is more limited in terms of usage if you want SLI for an instance

EDIT: Okay, fine. Here's a cheaper version that will do you just as good for now:
Corsair RMX 750W. Review here.

SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
Why buy anything else really? Price / performance is really good. Buy 500Gb version if you have money.

PS!
I'm not from a country where Amazon is available so I have no clue... and I don't know spanish prices at all... but there were some serious discounts on those prices so I can't speak for what is a good price or deal a few days from now when the deals run out. Ask around.

Also I have no clue about Wi-fi or modern watercooling systems. I somehow doubt you'll get any better wifi from onboard ones so consider a separate board that you can upgrade as new standards come along.

If you want a truly quiet system, replace the GPU with one that is factory water-cooled like http://www.evga.com/articles/00969/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-970-HYBRID-GAMING/ once it becomes available on amazon.es

Dave_6

My ~3 year old 120GB SSD is nearly full (~7 GB left). Along with my HDD being a little noisy, I'm thinking of going with a 500GB SSD as my only drive for the time being. Since I've never upgraded or changed drives before, what is the process for switching to a new drive and moving everything over (OS, Steam, games, mods etc)?

Quantum

question for monitor gurus -

- I currently use dual u3011 (dell) monitors and enjoy the multiple inputs on each. (Dual Hdmi and displayport with audio pass through are the most important functions)

- the u3011 has this terrible bug where the displayport input refuses to wake if you switch from hdmi back to the displayport (occurring rarely when sleeping even leaving it in displayport mode)

- I'm tired of the bug, and its been tested over the years with multiple (~10) different video cards and so I'm looking to find a new set up.

Ideally the input would have multiple hdmi and displayport with audio pass through, 30" minimum, less important but would be welcome ~gsync.

Any ideas? the goal is to have my xbone, ps4 and gaming desktop hooked up to the same monitor with pass through audio as I do now.

Endy MacK

Hey all,

I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask -- I'm looking to purchase an OEM Windows key. I previously read that the Reddit Microsoft software swap is a good place to purchase, however, I have had no luck there.

I have contacted four different sellers advertising within that group, and have never received a reply at all -- is this unusual?

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is another reliable place where I can just purchase an OEM key legitimately and securely. Any ideas?

How is this build ?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€262.64 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€35.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€149.92 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€56.93 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€86.60 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€349.90 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (€112.19 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€119.40 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1173.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 22:18 CET+0100

EDit: Maybe I should use a different case and power supply, those seem expensive in germany.

Maddanth

New PC gamer here. I have built an I7 4790@ 4.0 ghz@16 GB ram@ 2 970 SLI. I recently found out that allot of games don't support SLI? Should I go with a 980ti? Or am I good the setup I have? Basically my question is 2 970 SLI better then 1 980ti? Again I'm new to PC gaming and slowly learning, but someone said I am better off to go with a single gpu rather then SLI due to the fact that allot of games don't support SLI. Is this accurate? Any help or advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.

New PC gamer here. I have built an I7 4790@ 4.0 ghz@16 GB ram@ 2 970 SLI. I recently found out that allot of games don't support SLI? Should I go with a 980ti? Or am I good the setup I have? Basically my question is 2 970 SLI better then 1 980ti? Again I'm new to PC gaming and slowly learning, but someone said I am better off to go with a single gpu rather then SLI due to the fact that allot of games don't support SLI. Is this accurate? Any help or advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.

A single 980 Ti is a better solution than SLI 970s, so if you can easily swap them I would do so.

They're comparable in performance and you don't have to worry about SLI compatibility issues, as well as having more VRAM. I think frametimes are still more consistent on single card solutions than SLI, too.

If you can't easily switch then you'll still get great performance with the SLI setup.

RayStorm

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€119.40 @ Mindfactory)

EDit: Maybe I should use a different case and power supply, those seem expensive in germany.

I can only tell you that this PSU is quite nice in terms of loudness. It is completely silent for me with a similar system (i7-6700K, GTX970), even when gaming and all that within a mini ITX fractal core 500 case. But if you do have more space f a PSU (I was resticted by the length) then there are probably other options that are silent as well. Or you might not even care about that as much as I do, so it might be a completely moot point for you.

Maddanth

A single 980 Ti is a better solution than SLI 970s, so if you can easily swap them I would do so.

They're comparable in performance and you don't have to worry about SLI compatibility issues, as well as having more VRAM. I think frametimes are still more consistent on single card solutions than SLI, too.

If you can't easily switch then you'll still get great performance with the SLI setup.
Ya it won't take me much to switch . So thanks allot I think I'll do that. Thank u again very much for the response.

ISee

How is this build ?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€262.64 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€35.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€149.92 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€56.93 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€86.60 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€349.90 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (€112.19 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1173.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 22:18 CET+0100

To be honest: You really want to add another hard drive to your build. A single 250gb ssd can run out of space very fast if you plan to install games and your OS (+programs) on it. Adding another 128gb ssd (for windows, programs etc.) won't hurt in the long run. Also 16 gb of ram might be the way to go in the future.

You can find descent cases for around 50-60 € like the (Corsair Spec-01) also a 530-550w gold/bronze certified PSU should be enough for your system (maybe something like this?)

J-Rod

I'm looking for motherboard suggestions to go with an i7-4790k. Preferably $200 or less, but don't mind going over if recommended. I will put them in a corsair 650D case, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.

To be honest: You really want to add another hard drive to your build. A single 250gb ssd can run out of space very fast if you plan to install games and your OS (+programs) on it. Adding another 128gb ssd (for windows, programs etc.) won't hurt in the long run. Also 16 gb of ram might be the way to go in the future.

You can find descent cases for around 50-60 € like the (Corsair Spec-01) also a 530-550w gold/bronze certified PSU should be enough for your system.
I have a 1TB HDD at home.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Where can I get some magnetic vent covers? My system isn't that old, and it's already getting attacked by dust. The back side is pretty exposed, so I want to cover some areas.

Wallach

I haven't paid too much attention to it. The mobo and cpu came out of a HP and has no overclocking so I haven't messed with it.

How is it secured? I don't actually see any screws in the fan screw holes (you can see the PCB/heatsink through them on the lower half).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom