• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished my first PC build, I am very proud!!

Motherboard - MSi z170a gaming M7
RAM - 16GB DDR4
CPU - I7 6700k 4ghz overclocked to 4.7ghz
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master hyper EVO 212
GPU - MSI GTX 970 - Overclocked to 1450mhz Core and 7000mhz Memory Clock.

What do you guys think? Am playing Battlefield 4 at 1440p at +60fps Ultra settings, am trying out what I can do with Crysis 3 this afternoon!

I am considering SLI the card do you think this is worthwhile? I have a 4k tv.

I don't know if I'd SLI 970's, I thought they had a 3.5Gb limit on the RAM? Somebody will chime in with more info though.

I have the exact build except for a R9 290 and the Asus version of that board. How stable are your temps with the 212? That's a pretty big OC!

Planning to utilise an old Windows drive in my PC as a recording dump. I was thinking of using all 250GB on it to record gameplay in the background through AMD's Gaming Evolved program. Works really well for general use, and I thought it might be handy to always record all footage because there's always some happening that I never manage to catch.

Only one question remains: Would there be a downside to this? I don't want any long term damage done to any of my parts. Not really bothered about the drive though. Its a proper soldier, been through much use.

Deku Tree

Why does some Junior Member account send you a PM asking if you want to buy Windows off them (for a high price no less) every single time you ask for help with a PC build in this thread?

Hellgardia

Motherboard and PSU don't seem like nothing too special.
It does come with a 22-inch monitor, keyboard, etc and assuming everything is working correctly it does seem a good deal. would swap the PSU though

bomblord1

Banned
Friend wants to build a barebones gaming PC, how's this craigslist deal?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/5407425877.html

He wants to save as much money as possible, and this seems pretty actually, especially if throws a 750TI in there.

It's a prebuilt Dell the PSU will be the absolute minimum putting in a GPU will be next to impossible without upgrading the PSU I could be wrong here and it's stronger than expected but I doubt it. Processor should be upgradeable but it's a 4th gen board so you'll be limited by that CPU set without replacing the mobo.

Got a potentially motherboard-related question. Recently bought a Sandisk Extreme 32GB USB stick. Problem is, read and write speeds seem to be stuck at around 40MB/s. Would this likely be due to a problem with my USB 3.0 drivers? If so, what would be the best way to update them? Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, with the latest BIOS (F10b).

hLFb.png

1080p IPS 144hz was what I wanted, but you're right. They literally do not exist. With the way resolution is going and how small and niche the performance monitor market is, I don't think we'll get one.

I guess we'll both eventually have to get a 27" 1440p IPS with Gsync, which there seems to be a handful to choose from.

It is incredible, I feel weird. Like going to a library and find no books, lol.

Then I will wait, TN is a no go for me...

bomblord1

Banned
Got a potentially motherboard-related question. Recently bought a Sandisk Extreme 32GB USB stick. Problem is, read and write speeds seem to be stuck at around 40MB/s. Would this likely be due to a problem with my USB 3.0 drivers? If so, what would be the best way to update them? Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, with the latest BIOS (F10b).

hLFb.png

At a glance? Sounds like you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 port 40MBPS is right along the lines of what I would expect from a 2.0 port (motherboards tend to have a mixture of old and new ones) look for a port that is either blue or has an SS on and test the speeds again.

At a glance? Sounds like you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 port 40MBPS is right along the lines of what I would expect from that (motherboards tend to have a mixture of old and new ones) look for a port that is either blue or has an SS on and test the speeds again.

It is plugged into a blue port with an ss logo underneath.

bomblord1

Banned
Front. NVM though, installed Intel's latest drivers, speeds are up when transferring files from SSD, though unchanged when copying from HDDs to the drive. Crystal Disk Mark also shows the improvement. Is there any reputable software that actually does a good job of notifying you of out-of-date drivers on your system?

Well at least it's fixed though.

As far as driver update software I don't use anything other than Windows update and Steams driver tool to check GPU. I'll occasionally go out and download a new update for something I know has been updated but aside from that I don't use anything.

M.D

What's TEMPIN2 supposed to be in HWMonitor? It's temperature for the motherboard, but I'm not sure why it's always hotter than the rest of the MB. The max temp on every other value from the MB is 30, while TEMPIN2 is currently showing me 55 max and it reached a bit higher a few days ago, while also being hotter normally (36-37 right now as opposed to 27-30 for other temps on the MB)

Is it related to the CPU somehow? seems like the hotter the CPU gets it does as well

Mohasus

Front. NVM though, installed Intel's latest drivers, speeds are up when transferring files from SSD, though unchanged when copying from HDDs to the drive. Crystal Disk Mark also shows the improvement. Is there any reputable software that actually does a good job of notifying you of out-of-date drivers on your system?

These would be automatically installed by Windows 8 or superior.

Also, your motherboard should have a CD with these drivers.

These would be automatically installed by Windows 8 or superior.

Also, your motherboard should have a CD with these drivers.

So Windows 7 users need to check manually?

So would the motherboard CD download and install the latest versions of the drivers, or just the more recent ones at the time of purchase?

RGM79

So Windows 7 users need to check manually?

So would the motherboard CD download and install the latest versions of the drivers, or just the more recent ones at the time of purchase?

The motherboard driver disc itself contains whatever are the most recent drivers at the time the disc was created, so it could be a few weeks or months behind whatever was the latest when you purchased the motherboard.

As far as automatic driver finding programs go... at work I use Snappy Driver Installer and Driverpack Solution. Of the two, I trust SDI more because it's fairly straightforward and Driverpack Solution is a Russian program which by default makes it a little too easy to accidentally install potentially unwanted programs. Nothing harmful as far as I know, it just really wants you to install stuff like Opera, Firefox, and some Yandex (Russian Google equivalent) addons. However SDI needs you to download packs of drivers whereas Driverpack Solution has a "online" version that only downloads the drivers that your system needs, cutting down on download time and how much space it takes up.

deejaylew

Neo Member
Just finished a build in an air 540 case. Posting pictures for anyone who may be able to benefit from seeing what I was able to fit, I had a hard time figuring out if I could do what I was trying to do in this case (Make a watercooling loop with res/pump combo visible and easily be able to remove and replace the graphics card). Also I was able to fit a 360mm radiator with the fittings facing the top of the case.

vfca9cg.jpg

mplIP8V.jpg

Q0N4JjG.jpg

WnnTMNP.jpg

i7 6700k
Asus Sabertoof Tuf z170 Motherboard
16gb DDR4
GTX 970
EX360 Radiator
Raystorm CPU block

bomblord1

Banned
Just finished a build in an air 540 case. Posting pictures for anyone who may be able to benefit from seeing what I was able to fit, I had a hard time figuring out if I could do what I was trying to do in this case (Make a watercooling loop with res/pump combo visible and easily be able to remove and replace the graphics card). Also I was able to fit a 360mm radiator with the fittings facing the top of the case.

vfca9cg.jpg

mplIP8V.jpg

Q0N4JjG.jpg

WnnTMNP.jpg

i7 6700k
16gb DDR4
GTX 970
EX360 Radiator
Raystorm CPU block

Well it looks really cool

Dave_6

vfca9cg.jpg

i7 6700k
16gb DDR4
GTX 970
EX360 Radiator
Raystorm CPU block

That looks fantastic!

So newegg has a really good deal on open-box PG279Q monitors. Can I buy an open-box one, and then RMA it with Asus if there's any QC issues?

Hi PC Gaf, finally decided to build my first computer and I've put together this list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZYdyjX and I was wondering if someone could give it a quick look over and check to see if it's all ok or if there's anything that I'm missing/a better part for the same price etc.. before I give it the go ahead and order some of the stuff (Won't be Overclocking). Don't need a monitor just yet but I would welcome any recommendations as I will be buying a new one in about a month or two. Cheers.

My friend has been building a low-mid range PC for light gaming for a while. She's only missing a processor, so I was going to buy her one since her birthday passed recently. But would it make more financial sense to get a new mobo and CPU for myself then give her my old FX-8320? I think it is since I do want better performance, but I feel like it's in poor taste, does that make any sense? Especially since it's a birthday gift that's just a hand-me-down.

In any case, would you guys recommend an i7-4760k or i7-6700?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Dammit I can't find a suitable Monitor that's 144hz,1080p,has at least 1 HDMI port and G Sync without rolling the dice on those Acer XB270H. On the other hand I found plenty of Free Sync solutions....so how much will I be loosing in performance/price if I go for a AMD GPU instead of an Nvidea GPU in a future build?

LordAlu

Hi PC Gaf, finally decided to build my first computer and I've put together this list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZYdyjX and I was wondering if someone could give it a quick look over and check to see if it's all ok or if there's anything that I'm missing/a better part for the same price etc.. before I give it the go ahead and order some of the stuff (Won't be Overclocking). Don't need a monitor just yet but I would welcome any recommendations as I will be buying a new one in about a month or two. Cheers.
What's your system going to be used for? If you fill in the OP questions it could help with any advice given.
[Basic Desktop Questions]

• Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
  • Budget: Price Range + Country
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
  • Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
  • When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
  • Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
In the meantime in regards to your current list, I'd look at going for 4 x 4GB RAM as 2011-v3 is quad-channel. There's no SSD in there so I would expect you probably already have one? The Constellation hard drives are enterprise drives, do you really need one of them? Also that case, whilst looking nice, is not particularly amazing for the price.

e90Mark

Dammit I can't find a suitable Monitor that's 144hz,1080p,has at least 1 HDMI port and G Sync without rolling the dice on those Acer XB270H. On the other hand I found plenty of Free Sync solutions....so how much will I be loosing in performance/price if I go for a AMD GPU instead of an Nvidea GPU in a future build?

Only other one I could think of that has that would be XL2420G, besides the XB270H, but hard to find.

You might win in price, toss up in performance, when these new cards drop if history is anything to go by.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Only other one I could think of that has that would be XL2420G, besides the XB270H, but hard to find.

You might win in price, toss up in performance, when these new cards drop if history is anything to go by.
Those BenQ XL2420G must must've been something because I can only find refurbished units that go for $400-$600 or new units for $800-$1000. Time to appraise my options..

Nothing. Hooked up the PSU and this time it turned on for a split second and immediately off.

Did I somehow fry motherboard in the intial install of the CPU fan?

Before the new PSU came I tried installing the stock cooler and it stayed on but there was no display.

I'm fucking lost

bomblord1

Banned
Nothing. Hooked up the PSU and this time it turned on for a split second and immediately off.

Before the new PSU came I tried installing the stock cooler and it stayed on but there was no display.

I'm fucking lost

You didn't accidentally spark (like static electricity) on the mobo or any other parts when you were swapping the inital PSU did you?

But yea it sounds like the Mobo or the CPU's fried if you literally removed everything and still couldn't get it to post.

Sky Chief

vfca9cg.jpg

mplIP8V.jpg

Q0N4JjG.jpg

WnnTMNP.jpg

i7 6700k
16gb DDR4
GTX 970
EX360 Radiator
Raystorm CPU block

Looks cool, can you post some more zoomed out pics?

You didn't accidentally spark (like static electricity) on the mobo or any other parts when you were swapping the inital PSU did you?

But yea it sounds like the Mobo or the CPU's fried if you literally removed everything and still couldn't get it to post.

I was wearing my anti static wrist guard but I when I began cleaning my Cpu I (stupidly) had it off.

Is there a way to make sure that its the Mobo?

What's your system going to be used for? If you fill in the OP questions it could help with any advice given.

In the meantime in regards to your current list, I'd look at going for 4 x 4GB RAM as 2011-v3 is quad-channel. There's no SSD in there so I would expect you probably already have one? The Constellation hard drives are enterprise drives, do you really need one of them? Also that case, whilst looking nice, is not particularly amazing for the price.

Cheers for taking the time to look through it.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: £1300-£1500
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming = 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) = 4, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) = 3, Asp.NET & Other programming stuffs =2, Video Editing = 1
Monitor Resolution: 1080p currently but I will be buying a new one in about 2 months or so that should be 2560×1440
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Pretty much want to be able to play Witcher 3 at 60fps and any other new games that come out for awhile.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope
When will you build?: Over the next month
Will you be overclocking?: No

I've updated the list now with the 4x4GB RAM and changed the Hard drive and added an SSD(Knew I had forgotten something :p) for Windows to go on and maybe something else I end up using a lot, most of my games will go on the hard drive.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/t8c9bv

Do you have any recommendations for a case? I don't really know what I am looking for with them and just ended up choosing that one as it looked kind of nice, Don't really want one with neon lights and other flashy stuff.

I'm fucking lost
If it stayed on with the stock cooler I'm guessing you made a mistake when installing the aftermarket cooler. Even if it didn't display anything, maybe you needed to clear the CMOS another time. Did you try removing the video card and using the onboard graphics?

I would redo the paste and make 100% sure the aftermarket cooler is on correctly. My guess is it was turning off because it was overheating.

Oh, were you/are you overclocking at all?

LordAlu

Cheers for taking the time to look through it.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: £1300-£1500
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming = 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) = 4, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) = 3, Asp.NET & Other programming stuffs =2, Video Editing = 1
Monitor Resolution: 1080p currently but I will be buying a new one in about 2 months or so that should be 2560×1440
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Pretty much want to be able to play Witcher 3 at 60fps and any other new games that come out for awhile.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope
When will you build?: Over the next month
Will you be overclocking?: No

I've updated the list now with the 4x4GB RAM and changed the Hard drive and added an SSD(Knew I had forgotten something :p) for Windows to go on and maybe something else I end up using a lot, most of my games will go on the hard drive.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/t8c9bv

Do you have any recommendations for a case? I don't really know what I am looking for with them and just ended up choosing that one as it looked kind of nice, Don't really want one with neon lights and other flashy stuff.
I've made one or two little changes here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£314.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.89 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£174.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£68.33 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£529.99 @ Novatech)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.96 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.11 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (£75.00)
Total: £1441.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-22 22:04 GMT+0000

You don't need those extra fans - the only get them if a system required them to keep cool really. Otherwise there's a better SSD, more reliable hard drive, much cheaper 980Ti and a nice case that keeps it cool and quiet without being flashy.
You could also go with an i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A motherboard and 2 x 8GB RAM, which would save money and perhaps provide slightly better performance in gaming, due to a higher clock speed (if you're not overclocking).

If it stayed on with the stock cooler I'm guessing you made a mistake when installing the aftermarket cooler. Even if it didn't display anything, maybe you needed to clear the CMOS another time. Did you try removing the video card and using the onboard graphics?

I would redo the paste and make 100% sure the aftermarket cooler is on correctly. My guess is it was turning off because it was overheating.

Oh, were you/are you overclocking at all?

Nope by overclock. I'm about to take pics and maybe you guys can see if fucked up somewhere

LordAlu

Nope by overclock. I'm about to take pics and maybe you guys can see if fucked up somewhere
Your system turning itself off almost immediately is usually down to just not having either the 20+4 pin Motherboard or the 4/8-pin CPU power plugged in correctly. Take those connections out and re-seat them, then try again?

grendelrt

Finally upgraded from old I7 930 to a 6700K and I am having some issues. So I have been having some hangs, mainly when the bios screen goes by and the OS supposed to load. The screen will either go black and the KB and Mouse will turn off, or it will just lock on the windows load icon. Once I am in Windows I have had a couple freezes when copy files or installing stuff. So I tried playing a game today and noticed I was getting corrupted sound. Cracking and stuttering. Since I am running SLI I though it might be one of the cards, so I tested each individually and still had the issue with each card by itself. Dont know if this helps me pin it down, but maybe someone has an idea? The weird thing is how sporadic it is . I have run the following programs to test stability and had 0 errors.

Passmark BurnIn
Heavy Load
Memtest86
Furmark

Looking for any suggestions to narrow down the issue. Right now I am thinking it may be the motherboard, I dont get any error codes on the readout though. I have been getting code 6F after the OS loads which is just listed as reserved under normal boot codes. The bios right now is at default settings other than turning off integrated audio and turning the fans to full speed. I have tried the 2 most recent bios versions.

The build is

News stuff
I7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
16gb Gskill Triton 3200 DDR4 (on MB compatibility list)
H100i

Stuff moved over from old build
2x670
Corsair 1000W PSU
Crucial M500 480GB
3x SATA HDDs

Finally upgraded from old I7 930 to a 6700K and I am having some issues. So I have been having some hangs, mainly when the bios screen goes by and the OS supposed to load. The screen will either go black and the KB and Mouse will turn off, or it will just lock on the windows load icon. Once I am in Windows I have had a couple freezes when copy files or installing stuff. So I tried playing a game today and noticed I was getting corrupted sound. Cracking and stuttering. Since I am running SLI I though it might be one of the cards, so I tested each individually and still had the issue with each card by itself. Dont know if this helps me pin it down, but maybe someone has an idea? The weird thing is how sporadic it is . I have run the following programs to test stability and had 0 errors.

Passmark BurnIn
Heavy Load
Memtest86
Furmark

Looking for any suggestions to narrow down the issue. Right now I am thinking it may be the motherboard, I dont get any error codes on the readout though. I have been getting code 6F after the OS loads which is just listed as reserved under normal boot codes. The bios right now is at default settings other than turning off integrated audio and turning the fans to full speed. I have tried the 2 most recent bios versions.

The build is

News stuff
I7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
H100i

2x670
Corsair 1000W PSU
Crucial M500 480GB
3x SATA HDDs

I would check to see if there is a newer BIOS available. Also google to see if anyone else had the same problem with your setup.

Maybe try dialing down the ram speed, just in case that helps (I think some boards were having trouble there). Also could try memtest86.

RGM79

Passmark BurnIn
Heavy Load
Memtest86
Furmark

The build is

News stuff
I7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
H100i

2x670
Corsair 1000W PSU
Crucial M500 480GB
3x SATA HDDs

Did you keep your old Windows installation or reinstall Windows?

grendelrt

I would check to see if there is a newer BIOS available. Also google to see if anyone else had the same problem with your setup.

Maybe try dialing down the ram speed, just in case that helps (I think some boards were having trouble there). Also could try memtest86.

Ran memtest at stock RAM with no issues. I havent even tried upping it until i get stable lol

Did you keep your old Windows installation or reinstall Windows?

Full clean install. Just read that Witcher3 has various sound bugs so I am prob testing with the wrong game. I havent crashed in a while either since I reverted some settings in windows. I am going to load the newest bios now ( I was on second newest , I started on newest but reverted when I started having issues trying to eliminate stuff) and see how stable it goes playing something else for a while.

Hyoukokun

Hey all. Getting my new R9 390x card installed. Should I be attaching two power connectors (8-pin and 6-pin) to it? Based on the included instructions (which are for 8 + 8 and 6 + 6 pin connections) I am assuming yes, but I wanted to confirm.

RGM79

Ran memtest at stock RAM with no issues. I havent even tried upping it until i get stable lol

Full clean install. Just read that Witcher3 has various sound bugs so I am prob testing with the wrong game. I havent crashed in a while either since I reverted some settings in windows. I am going to load the newest bios now ( I was on second newest , I started on newest but reverted when I started having issues trying to eliminate stuff) and see how stable it goes playing something else for a while.

Just out of curiosity, what CPU voltage is your motherboard's BIOS reporting?

Hey all. Getting my new R9 390x card installed. Should I be attaching two power connectors (8-pin and 6-pin) to it? Based on the included instructions (which are for 8 + 8 and 6 + 6 pin connections) I am assuming yes, but I wanted to confirm.

Yes, you need to connect both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom