• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

I'd like to have that option open, though. This is my first heavy duty gaming PC and I want to overclock that mother fucker if I have to lol

I thought the liquid cooled ones were more quiet?

You can overclock the i7 6700K on even a cheap cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($40). You do not have to pay $150 for a water cooler just to overclock. The Noctua options I mentioned are more than enough for moderate overclocking.

Looking at Tweaktown's testing results, the Corsair H110i GTX in quiet mode and Noctua NH-D15 are separated by less than one degree in the overclocked temperature chart (68.5 degrees C vs 69.3 degrees C) and produce the same level of noise at low voltage (7.5V). Not bad for costing $35~45 less.

When it comes to CPU cooling, the fans are what counts when it comes to noise. Water cooler pumps may also produce a bit of noise.

Friends, I have an issue.

I'm running Windows 10 on my PC and my second hard-drive keeps vanishing. My SSD shows up fine, I have 400GB of games installed but randomly, it just stops showing up under my PC.

Ran defrag and stress tests. Nothing came up.

What do I dooooo?

What are our PC's specs? A few years back there were an issue with P67 motherboards where the SATA connection would eventually break down.

would it be better to sawp this SSD for this sandisk?

The Samsung model is probably faster, but if you want to save money and don't need the best performance then it's okay. There aren't many reviews that I can find for that specific model, but it seems to be well received by most people.

Wag

id say it would fit. Looks like the heatsink is barely higher than the ports.

The other issue is the case has an external power supply (only 60w). That should be enough for Braswell, correct (even with a 2.5" HD and maybe a PCI-E card)?

RGM79

The other issue is the case has an external power supply (I think it is 85w). That should be enough for Braswell, correct (even with a SDD and maybe a PCI-E card)?

What PCI-E card? Braswell and an SSD should be no problem at all.

LilJoka

Friends, I have an issue.

I'm running Windows 10 on my PC and my second hard-drive keeps vanishing. My SSD shows up fine, I have 400GB of games installed but randomly, it just stops showing up under my PC.

Ran defrag and stress tests. Nothing came up.

What do I dooooo?

For the future: when a hdd is having issues the last thing to do is to stress it or run a defrag unless you are looking to kill it.

What you should be doing first is analysing the SMART attributes. And in your case checking the power and data cables to make sure they aren't loose.

LilJoka

So I want to build a HTPC based on this board. Do you think it will fit in this case ?

The board is Mini-ATX (fanless CPU) but the case is Mini-ATX slim. I just don't know how big the CPU's heatsink is.

That case is quite tacky in real life, my friend bought one. See if you can get an ITX case from wesena or streacom.

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-ITX6-Black-Mini-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-ITX6-B.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Wesena-ITX4-v3-Black-100-Aluminum-chassis/dp/B00858U4W8

And you should consider an Intel NUC as it has built in Microsoft native IR far superior to USB ones.

Wag

That case is quite tacky in real life, my friend bought one. See if you can get an ITX case from wesena or streacom.

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-ITX6-Black-Mini-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-ITX6-B.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Wesena-ITX4-v3-Black-100-Aluminum-chassis/dp/B00858U4W8

And you should consider an Intel NUC as it has built in Microsoft native IR far superior to USB ones.

The intel NUC only has 1 DIMM slot, which isn't good for smooth 4k HEVC playback. Dual-channel kills it on Braswell.

Smokey

I'd like to have that option open, though. This is my first heavy duty gaming PC and I want to overclock that mother fucker if I have to lol

I thought the liquid cooled ones were more quiet?

Not necessarily, but if you care about aesthetics at all, they are the better option. If you do a lot of work in your PC, they allow for a lot more maneuverability. If you don't care about any of the above, air coolers work fine and are cheaper.

Varg

Banned
2k to spend on a build. 970 right now then sell it when new cards come out or get an 980ti right now ? I only plan to game at 1080p. No desire for 1440p BUT I plan to buy the vive or rift. The 2k will also cover brand new mouse, keyboard, headset, and a 144hz 1080p gsync monitor . Which card should I get guys? Planning on buying everything within the month .

Ecto311

I tried this on her computer and still no dice. I got my computer back with a windows recovery USB. It didn't say what happened so I don't know what happened to mine.

I tried the upgrade of the bios on hers with the H81 MSI board and it is still doing the attempted fix with spinning circles.

Easy way to tell if it's the hard drive, motherboard, or ram? Using the back USB doesn't change anything. It has no physical drive either so USB is all right now.

Trying a full windows 10 install USB instead of this recovery stuff.

Seems there is an issue with windows 10 and these motherboard/processor combos needing a bios update. I never thought to reset the bios with the battery and the fuckin battery is stuck under the GTX460 on this board. I removed it, removed the battery and reset the thing. Updated the bios and NOW this turd will read a USB recovery of windows 10. The damn splash screen was overlaying the windows logo so I didn't know it was trying to load windows - it looked like the MSI splash screen was the problem.

Now that it is going the repair console with the install usb is telling me it is correcting disk errors and could take hours. I assume I would be better off getting a new drive in the future since this damn thing was a refurb from MicroCenter and only $25 for 320gb. I assumed these would be fine since WD has been a great brand in the past but if this is going to happen often I am trashing this damn thing before there is something important on it.

Thanks for the tips and ideas for the repair though I have been fixing computers for 20 years and never seen this shit happen before.

Dezzy

I'm upgrading my wife's PC with a new motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. She did the free Windows 10 upgrade on her current system from Windows 7(retail dvd).

I've heard that the free Windows 10 upgrade cannot be transferred, and that it also eats up the previous Windows 7/8 product key and makes it invalid. Not sure what's true.

So, I'm wondering if and how I can reinstall Windows 10 on her new system. Her copy of Windows 7 is retail and not OEM, if that matters.

KissVibes

Banned
Maybe the SATA Port is faulty? SATA cable defective?
Have you tested the SATA power cable ?

Tried new SATA cable, new port, and SATA power cable. Hard drive came directly out of last PC, where it was my OS drive. Still disconnects at random times, typically while playing a game installed on the drive. Sometimes while just sitting here.

Ran HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report:

c3VvwNN.png

Tried new SATA cable, new port, and SATA power cable. Hard drive came directly out of last PC, where it was my OS drive. Still disconnects at random times, typically while playing a game installed on the drive. Sometimes while just sitting here.

Ran HDDScan S.M.A.R.T. Report:

Hm how old is the hard disk? Brand and exact name of the HDD you using?

BIGWORM

Decided to scrap my Skylake 6600k build and stay with my Haswell 4670k. Purchased an Asus Z97-E ATX board and bought a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. This case is HUGE sitting next to my NZXT Phantom 410! Can't wait to fill it's guts!!

Sky Chief

2k to spend on a build. 970 right now then sell it when new cards come out or get an 980ti right now ? I only plan to game at 1080p. No desire for 1440p BUT I plan to buy the vive or rift. The 2k will also cover brand new mouse, keyboard, headset, and a 144hz 1080p gsync monitor . Which card should I get guys? Planning on buying everything within the month .

If you have $2K to spend why wouldn't you go 1440p? You could get an Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and a 980 TI for about $1500 leaving $500 for those other peripherals and be ready with the best GPU for VR as well.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Newegg has an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard for $180, which becomes $160 after a $20 rebate.

Good start for RGM79's suggested Skylake build?

Here's a Skylake-based parts list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($46.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($319.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1003.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-19 01:58 EST-0500

I can spend a max of $1500 on parts.

Zeth

Did a GPU/PSU upgrade and my two spinning drives have totally disappeared. The sata 6 SSD I'm booting from is fine but the others are nowhere to be found - nothing in device manager etc. Pretty sure they're getting power. Tried different sata 3 ports on motherboard (Asus p8Z77-V LK). Next stop is Micro Center for some fresh sata cables. Maybe a new drive to rule out the possibility that they both died at the same time, but that doesn't seem right.

edit: I should try the Sata 6 ports on the other side of the board - fingers crossed

Anth0ny

You might as well overclock though. Even a small one can get you an extra chunk of performance for free. You don't need to worry about complex voltage stuff, just do the basics.

You can overclock the i7 6700K on even a cheap cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($40). You do not have to pay $150 for a water cooler just to overclock. The Noctua options I mentioned are more than enough for moderate overclocking.

Looking at Tweaktown's testing results, the Corsair H110i GTX in quiet mode and Noctua NH-D15 are separated by less than one degree in the overclocked temperature chart (68.5 degrees C vs 69.3 degrees C) and produce the same level of noise at low voltage (7.5V). Not bad for costing $35~45 less.

When it comes to CPU cooling, the fans are what counts when it comes to noise. Water cooler pumps may also produce a bit of noise.

Not necessarily, but if you care about aesthetics at all, they are the better option. If you do a lot of work in your PC, they allow for a lot more maneuverability. If you don't care about any of the above, air coolers work fine and are cheaper.

Sounds great! Thanks for all the help everyone :)

abracadaver

I'm upgrading my wife's PC with a new motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. She did the free Windows 10 upgrade on her current system from Windows 7(retail dvd).

I've heard that the free Windows 10 upgrade cannot be transferred, and that it also eats up the previous Windows 7/8 product key and makes it invalid. Not sure what's true.

So, I'm wondering if and how I can reinstall Windows 10 on her new system. Her copy of Windows 7 is retail and not OEM, if that matters.

I want to know this as well

I've ordered an new motherboard, CPU and RAM. I already upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 10 last year.

How do I clean install Windows 10 now?

RGM79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEG3xYoct38

They all can, just the Braswell boards with dual-channel support do it better. The N3700-ITX has dual-channel support.

Oh sorry, I misread your comment.

I want to know this as well

I've ordered an new motherboard, CPU and RAM. I already upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 10 last year.

How do I clean install Windows 10 now?

See here, Microsoft considers those copies of Windows 10 to be "digital entitlement" and they aren't transferable to new computers like retail copies. You two can try contacting Microsoft (see the section titled "Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change") and explain to them that you are replacing certain parts and that it isn't a new and separate PC, perhaps they will help you reactivate that license of Windows 10 for your new hardware.

I believe you may be required to tell Microsoft your old Windows 7/8/8.1 key.

Newegg has an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard for $180, which becomes $160 after a $20 rebate.

Good start for RGM79's suggested Skylake build?

I can spend a max of $1500 on parts.

I might just be thrifty, but I don't see much point in spending the extra $45 for the higher end motherboard unless you really need that many more USB, SATA, M.2, mini PCI-E ports.

Did a GPU/PSU upgrade and my two spinning drives have totally disappeared. The sata 6 SSD I'm booting from is fine but the others are nowhere to be found - nothing in device manager etc. Pretty sure they're getting power. Tried different sata 3 ports on motherboard (Asus p8Z77-V LK). Next stop is Micro Center for some fresh sata cables. Maybe a new drive to rule out the possibility that they both died at the same time, but that doesn't seem right.

edit: I should try the Sata 6 ports on the other side of the board - fingers crossed

Sounds like some cables came loose. It goes without saying, double check all of the connections. Even if they're already plugged in, there's no harm in unplugging and then reinserting them.

Jin

Asus released a bios update for Maximus Z170 motherboard yesterday with the notes saying "update microcode and improve stability". From what I understand updating microcode is similar to updating the CPU firmware. It could be a fix for the Prime95 bug on Skylake CPUs.

Helped build my friend's/coworker's computer tonight

Put everything in and forgot to plug the mobo power when we tried to turn it on. Finally got that and it turned on!

Problem is, nothing displays to the monitor using either the gfx card or the on board / mother board HDMI. The keyboard doesn't seem to be on as well.

It's passed 2 am so we have to continue tomorrow. Hopefully the mobo wasn't DOA

inner-G

Banned
Helped build my friend's/coworker's computer tonight

Put everything in and forgot to plug the mobo power when we tried to turn it on. Finally got that and it turned on!

Problem is, nothing displays to the monitor using either the gfx card or the on board / mother board HDMI. The keyboard doesn't seem to be on as well.

It's passed 2 am so we have to continue tomorrow. Hopefully the mobo wasn't DOA
Is it Skylake?

Mine was doing something similar - turned on but never displayed BIOS - turned out the RAM was incompatible.

Double-check that you connected the CPU power connector as well

The harddrive is about 3 years old, maybe? Possibly 4.

M1oihLt.png

I had a Toshiba 1TB HDD (I learnt not to buy a used HDD got a refund though) that did a similar thing, the HDD is kaput you'll need a new one.

I tend to avoid Seagate. I think WD and Hitatchi are the best brands going by failure rates. I have a WD 320GB HDD that is over 5 years old now and still going strong.

Oscar

How do you guys determine if an upgrade is worth it or not?

I'm still on a MSI GeForce GTX 580 from 2011.

Mostly play Blizzard games or CS:GO/Dota 2 and this card seems to still run them fine.

I have some extra cash, but can't seem to find like a chart or how to determine if a certain card would give me like a 2-4x performance upgrade (if that makes sense). I impulsively ordered a R9 380 4gb ($188 shipped), but I'll return it if it's not a significant boost.

bomblord1

Banned
How do you guys determine if an upgrade is worth it or not?

I'm still on a MSI GeForce GTX 580 from 2011.

Mostly play Blizzard games or CS:GO/Dota 2 and this card seems to still run them fine.

I have some extra cash, but can't seem to find like a chart or how to determine if a certain card would give me like a 2-4x performance upgrade (if that makes sense). I impulsively ordered a R9 380 4gb ($188 shipped), but I'll return it if it's not a significant boost.

Well, because performance relies on many different metrics there really is no hard fast way to measure 2x of 4x the power. If may have 4x the flops but only produce 150% of the FPS in some games. It may have double the vram but the same bandwidth. That's not even mentioning how drivers play into it.

I personally compare cards by plugging them into GPU Boss and check out the benchmark section to see how they stack up to each other in actual testing (as opposed to theoretical paper performance)

Agraavan

I'm soon gonna change my MoBo/CPU/Memory and keep all the rest. The thing is: I have a full HD I wanna keep. Will I be able to keep it or will I have to format it?

Is there any way to circunvent it?

Hellgardia

The R9 380 4GB will give you more memory to spare since the GTX580 only had 1.5GB. But if vram was not an issue, the gains will be much smaller...

Something like 20 to 30% i believe depending on the game.

Is it Skylake?

Mine was doing something similar - turned on but never displayed BIOS - turned out the RAM was incompatible.

Double-check that you connected the CPU power connector as well

Yes, Skylake.

Whoa interesting. I'm looking up some information on that RAM - Skylake compatibility now.

ACE 1991

Alright, so my buddy wants to build a low-end gaming PC at the moment. What is the best build he could currently buy for $400 shipped? Is the "Solid Starter" in the OP the way to go?

How's this build look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Mk3x4D

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and looked at lots of benchmarks of the GTX 960 4GB running the games I'm interested in playing (Overwatch, Killing Floor 2, CS:GO, Fallout 4, GTA V) at 1080p and it looks like as long as I'm okay with turning down certain settings in certain games, 60fps at that resolution is easily attainable.

The case choice is certainly not set in stone and as you may have seen in my previous posts, this will be my first time building a PC, so I am trying to choose the best case for a beginner (tool-less cases seem good for that). Also, if anyone knows a good 1080p 60hz monitor with minimal input lag/response time for under $200, I would appreciate it if you could point me in its direction.

bomblord1

Banned
How's this build look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Mk3x4D

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and looked at lots of benchmarks of the GTX 960 4GB running the games I'm interested in playing (Overwatch, Killing Floor 2, CS:GO, Fallout 4, GTA V) at 1080p and it looks like as long as I'm okay with turning down certain settings in certain games, 60fps at that resolution is easily attainable.

The case choice is certainly not set in stone and as you may have seen in my previous posts, this will be my first time building a PC, so I am trying to choose the best case for a beginner (tool-less cases seem good for that). Also, if anyone knows a good 1080p 60hz monitor with minimal input lag/response time for under $200, I would appreciate it if you could point me in its direction.

Any particular reason you're going with a 4th gen i5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom