• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkark07

Banned
Ok guys, going to build a new PC. Sadly, I need to import parts from the US so I can get them a little cheaper. Gonna use Amazon for import (Newegg doesn't accept non US cards as far as I know). What do you think of this:

PC Part Picker List/Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 on Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.45 on Amazon)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 each one on Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 on Amazon)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($324.99 on Amazon)
Power Supply: Sentey 725W Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 on Amazon)

Total in Amazon (without taxes and importing the parts to Panama): $832.38

Already have a case and DVD disk drive here, plus a Windows 10 license. That leaves me with these: (going to use the store of my country)

Monitor: HP V242H - 24" LED LCD Widescreen, 1920x1080 ($179.90)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Blade Master ($7.90)
Keyboard + Mouse combo: Cooler Master Storm Devastator ($34.80)
Headphone + Mic: Logitech USB Headset H390 ($33.90)
Speakers: Logitech S150 ($14.70)

Total (without taxes): $271.20

How does this look? I wish to play games like Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, Aliens:Isolation or Wolfenstein New Order constant 60fps in high or ultra if possible.

And yes, I know I should get a SSD but right now I want more space at a good price. Might get one later.

Lastly, if somebody from Latin America imports PC parts from the US, are there other good stores that are reliable?

Red Hood

Banned
Try updating your drivers if they aren't up to date. Some of the older crimson drivers had fan issues where it would reset to low % like you have and not go higher.

You can make a custom fan profile in stuff like MSI afterburner. If not, you can go into your driver settings and just turn it to manual or auto. The custom profile is much better.

You were right, after updating to a newer Crimson the fans started getting higher again, thanks. :)

manfestival

A friend of mine is trying to put together a mac daddy computer. He is going to be dropping some serious dosh on the rig.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MYDkFT
That is all of the parts that he is thinking of getting for the new computer. Are there any suggestions or things that would just make this more efficient and better for the money. Pretty sure he is dead seat on spending around 5k on this rig

bomblord1

Banned
A friend of mine is trying to put together a mac daddy computer. He is going to be dropping some serious dosh on the rig.
That is all of the parts that he is thinking of getting for the new computer. Are there any suggestions or things that would just make this more efficient and better for the money. Pretty sure he is dead seat on spending around 5k on this rig

Unless he's a professional audio engineer and needs multiple sound channels the sound card serves absolutely no purpose.

Everything else is fairly standard he's got over 2k wrapped up in the monitor and video cards that's where over half the price is coming from along with the keyboard and mouse.

If he's not intending to push his OC to an extreme he could get a cheaper air cooler

KingKong

so the 980TI is basically the best top of the line card right now, right? my question is, what will happen when the next card comes out exactly? will that one be the new top of the line one and cost 700+ while the 980ti drops in price and becomes the recommended one like the 970 right now or is it going to be so good/different that its worth waiting for?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $780.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-29 22:14 EST-0500

My final build list, except I have a 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO in my Newegg cart instead of the 1TB, and I didn't get that monitor, AND I sprung for an EVGA GTX 960 2GB instead of the 950... it seemed some games weren't handling the 950 so well in comparison to the 960, so I made the jump. The SSD is on sale for $83 instead of $100 so I figured I had to get it, plus I've never had an SSD before so I wanted to live that life.

Hope RGM doesn't think it's bad because it's already ordered. Fingers crossed everything goes well!

Finaika

so the 980TI is basically the best top of the line card right now, right? my question is, what will happen when the next card comes out exactly? will that one be the new top of the line one and cost 700+ while the 980ti drops in price and becomes the recommended one like the 970 right now or is it going to be so good/different that its worth waiting for?

It will be obsolete.

Acrylic7

thats just terrible lol.

If he has that kind of money don't buy HHD, just get SSD's.
Low profile Ram and you might as well make it 32 gigs since his pockets are swollen. Or even 64 gigs.
Might as well go with Intel Xeon rather than i7.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I got pretty similar parts, less than half the parts, but I'm recycling my old HDDs for storage.

I decided to go for the EVO heat sink for now, but we'll see if I do go for water cooling.

Things to consider:

1. Does he really need the HERO VIII? I have it, but I ended up saving like $70 during the holiday season on it, which made it more reasonable. If he doesn't, another Z170 board would suffice.
  2. Is he a student? He can probably get Windows 7/8.x/10 for free. Or can he recycle a Windows 7/8.x key from his old build? He can save those $100 on something more useful. :p
  3. What is he going to do with that soundcard? The hero's card is supposed to be quite good, though I have issues with the front headphone port.

bomblord1

Banned
I mean Im not expecting a miracle, I just know theres so much buzz around the new gpus and I was wondering if theres some amazing breakthrough or if it wont matter until 5 years from now when youd want 8gb ram

High Bandwidth Memory is about to be a thing. (well it already is on Radeon Cards but they are actually slightly worse than a 980ti)

Poker360

Is there any general solid recommendations for lga 1151 motherboards?

I was looking to build a new rig with a i7 6700k. On my current AMD build i was pretty satisfied with my asus sabertooth motherboard, but most of the board reviews i've seen for skylake seem to have a lot of problems. I was debating between the asus ROG Viii, or the z170 deluxe... but reviews are turning me away on both.

edit: looking to a mid range level to higher end quality mobo.
Bluetooth or built in wi fi would be a plus

Young Magus

Double posting like a thug, anyway...

You will need to turn off the computer and unplug it from power, open up the computer, remove the 730 and any cables attached to it, and put in the GTX 750Ti and put the cables that were previously in the 730 into the 750Ti.

Be sure to get the proper drivers for the 750Ti as well once you're done.

i may be wrong, but aint the Inspiron desktops way too small for a GTX to fit in it?

Got it in a it fits like a glove.

Got shit on 1080p now. Can actually run street fighter v on mid settings ;-;

RGM79

So I just got a new pc last week (Dell Inspiron 3650) and it came with the gt 730.

Got a gtx750ti on the way and was wondering if I need to do anything on the computer beforehand to install the card or is it just remove-and-replace.

Thanks in Advance
Got it in a it fits like a glove.

Got shit on 1080p now. Can actually run street fighter v on mid settings ;-;

What model of GTX 750 Ti is it? I would have thought that your Dell PC's power supply might not have the proper cables to power the graphics card. It's good to hear that it works flawlessly, though.

Hi I just have a question about installing windows 10. Im going to upgrade first but I want to do a clean install after I upgrade. Im just wondering what the best way is to put all of my files and programs onto an external hard drive and then back on to 10 once I do the clean install. I just want my program files the same so I dont lose my steam games etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Im on Windows 8.1

Personal files and steam games can be copied directly to the external drive as they don't have any links to things like registry entries and system files. See here for info on moving Steam and Steam games. Other programs that go through a normal installation and uninstallation process which makes links to the Windows registry and system files shouldn't just be moved like that though, they may break in unpredictable ways. It won't affect Windows adversely, but not all installable/uninstallable programs will still work after being moved. It's usually best to reinstall the program after you install Windows 10.

Saw this for $900 (includes monitor)

Specs: Ostrog GT Case
CPU: Intel 3570k 3.4GHz with turbo to 3.8ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyer evo 212
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition
PSU: Corsair CX600M
Wireless Card: TP Link N300
CD Drive: Samsung Black Sata DVD-ROM
Samsung EVO 840 120GB
Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS228H-P Black 21.5"

I know the 3570 is an older card but reviews on it seem pretty good. Can't seem to find a decent price on on as they are pretty much out of stock everywhere.

Not worth it when newer parts only cost a bit more.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($293.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $937.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-30 00:35 EST-0500

Doesn't include Windows, of course. But there are cheap solutions for that if you don't already have a copy, like the reddit Windows licenses.

RGM79

Putting this in a separate post so it doesn't get too long.

Ok guys, going to build a new PC. Sadly, I need to import parts from the US so I can get them a little cheaper. Gonna use Amazon for import (Newegg doesn't accept non US cards as far as I know). What do you think of this:

PC Part Picker List/Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 on Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.45 on Amazon)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 each one on Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 on Amazon)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($324.99 on Amazon)
Power Supply: Sentey 725W Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 on Amazon)

Total in Amazon (without taxes and importing the parts to Panama): $832.38

Already have a case and DVD disk drive here, plus a Windows 10 license. That leaves me with these: (going to use the store of my country)

Monitor: HP V242H - 24" LED LCD Widescreen, 1920x1080 ($179.90)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Blade Master ($7.90)
Keyboard + Mouse combo: Cooler Master Storm Devastator ($34.80)
Headphone + Mic: Logitech USB Headset H390 ($33.90)
Speakers: Logitech S150 ($14.70)

Total (without taxes): $271.20

How does this look? I wish to play games like Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, Aliens:Isolation or Wolfenstein New Order constant 60fps in high or ultra if possible.

And yes, I know I should get a SSD but right now I want more space at a good price. Might get one later.

Lastly, if somebody from Latin America imports PC parts from the US, are there other good stores that are reliable?

If possible, you'll want to pair an i5 4690K with a Z97 motherboard because both are overclockable parts. If you don't intend to overclock, then you can opt for a cheaper H81, B85, or H97 motherboard model.

I wouldn't go for that Sentey power supply, it doesn't look very good in terms of quality. For the parts you have chosen, you don't need more than 500 watts. The EVGA 600B ($45 at Amazon) is a cheaper yet still alright power supply that will meet your needs just fine.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $780.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-29 22:14 EST-0500

My final build list, except I have a 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO in my Newegg cart instead of the 1TB, and I didn't get that monitor, AND I sprung for an EVGA GTX 960 2GB instead of the 950... it seemed some games weren't handling the 950 so well in comparison to the 960, so I made the jump. The SSD is on sale for $83 instead of $100 so I figured I had to get it, plus I've never had an SSD before so I wanted to live that life.

Hope RGM doesn't think it's bad because it's already ordered. Fingers crossed everything goes well!

Looks just fine to me. The monitor is a bit expensive, but I can understand wanting to pay a premium for the super thin bezel.

Is there any general solid recommendations for lga 1151 motherboards?

I was looking to build a new rig with a i7 6700k. On my current AMD build i was pretty satisfied with my asus sabertooth motherboard, but most of the board reviews i've seen for skylake seem to have a lot of problems. I was debating between the asus ROG Viii, or the z170 deluxe... but reviews are turning me away on both.

edit: looking to a mid range level to higher end quality mobo.
Bluetooth or built in wi fi would be a plus

The Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI is my go-to for recommendations, it's more than enough to handle moderate overclocking and has a very good proportion of positive reviews. It's usually more reliable to get a separate wifi and bluetooth adaptor, and for that I usually recommend this Gigabyte adaptor. If you still want a higher end motherboard, MSI and Gigabyte's Z170 offerings seem to be doing far better than most Asus models these days, at least in terms of user reviews.

KingKong

Hmm ok so this might be a dumb question but I have a really old PC with a Q6600 and a 560TI. The problem is I also have some crappy Dell motherboard so to upgrade the CPU, I'd have to replace both and I decided to just build a new PC sometime in the summer

My question is, how much of a boost would I get replacing my 560TI with a 950? From what I see online, thr CPU is bottlenecking my card already but surely the extra gig of ram and all the new features would improve things, right? I dont want to get the card and only get like a 10 fps improvement but I really have no idea what to expect

Alexm92

Personal files and steam games can be copied directly to the external drive as they don't have any links to things like registry entries and system files. See here for info on moving Steam and Steam games. Other programs that go through a normal installation and uninstallation process which makes links to the Windows registry and system files shouldn't just be moved like that though, they may break in unpredictable ways. It won't affect Windows adversely, but not all installable/uninstallable programs will still work after being moved. It's usually best to reinstall the program after you install Windows 10.

Thank you very much!

Linkark07

Banned
If possible, you'll want to pair an i5 4690K with a Z97 motherboard because both are overclockable parts. If you don't intend to overclock, then you can opt for a cheaper H81, B85, or H97 motherboard model.

I wouldn't go for that Sentey power supply, it doesn't look very good in terms of quality. For the parts you have chosen, you don't need more than 500 watts. The EVGA 600B ($45 at Amazon) is a cheaper yet still alright power supply that will meet your needs just fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'm going to buy a power source from the local store here.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks, looking to eventually get a 1TB SSD drive and was wondering as you generally better sticking with Samsung/Crucial or are Sandisks SSDs ok ? Like the Sandisk Ultra II for example.

I realized I hadn't ordered the graphics card yet, and due to recent occurrences I can now afford a GTX 970.

Which brand of GTX 970 is least likely to have coil whine? That shit will drive me nuts.

Dave_6

Just upgraded to Windows 10 last weekend; went smoothly and haven't had any issues yet. My PC rebooted itself sometime yesterday to install updates and when I logged it on last night this popped up:
24080716074_193cf2ec16_o.png

The power went off for a few seconds this morning and I got it again when I logged it back on. Any ideas?

Just upgraded to Windows 10 last weekend; went smoothly and haven't had any issues yet. My PC rebooted itself sometime yesterday to install updates and when I logged it on last night this popped up:

The power went off for a few seconds this morning and I got it again when I logged it back on. Any ideas?

Well, the popup is related to Visual C++ Runtime. Perhaps you hadn't updated it in a really long time and so the version you had isn't compatible with Windows 10. I'd recommend looking it up online and seeing if you can update your runtime to the latest version that is almost guaranteed to be Windows compatible. Just an idea.

bomblord1

Banned
Hmm ok so this might be a dumb question but I have a really old PC with a Q6600 and a 560TI. The problem is I also have some crappy Dell motherboard so to upgrade the CPU, I'd have to replace both and I decided to just build a new PC sometime in the summer

My question is, how much of a boost would I get replacing my 560TI with a 950? From what I see online, thr CPU is bottlenecking my card already but surely the extra gig of ram and all the new features would improve things, right? I dont want to get the card and only get like a 10 fps improvement but I really have no idea what to expect

If games are CPU limited even Quad SLI 980ti's would not improve FPS.

Vuze

I'm planning to do a mini ITX Hackintosh build with my left-over i5 and I was wondering if you guys know about some sleek, minimalistic mini ITX cases.
I've been browsing a bit through a few online shops but I bet there are some case aficionados in here who know about some more "exclusive" designs :)

I'm planning to do a mini ITX Hackintosh build with my left-over i5 and I was wondering if you guys know about some sleek, minimalistic mini ITX cases.
I've been browsing a bit through a few online shops but I bet there are some case aficionados in here who know about some more "exclusive" designs :)

What parts do you have? Or do you only have the CPU right now?

KingKong

If games are CPU limited even Quad SLI 980ti's would not improve FPS.

Would they mean I could run, say, high settings instead of medium and get the same fps? Im finding it suprisingly hard to get an answer online but double the vram must mean something right, even with my old bottlenecking cpu

Would they mean I could run, say, high settings instead of medium and get the same fps? Im finding it suprisingly hard to get an answer online but double the vram must mean something right, even with my old bottlenecking cpu

If your CPU is bottlenecking the improvements will be negligible, and the 950 is only a bit better than a 560Ti even without an old CPU holding it back.

You're going to want to upgrade your CPU as well if you want to see a genuine improvement to performance.

So I need a new PC for work.
I'm not sure how much my boss wants to spend, I want a good cpu, 8 gigs and a decent gpu.
Any suggestions for decent performance at a relatively low price? I'm used to buying this stuff with mid to high end gaming in mind and I don't want to go overboard, I just want CAD software to run well.
My 2600k is still doing a great job but I'm not sure if there's another i7 I should consider at this point. Also torn on the gpu, no need for anything fancy.

KingKong

If your CPU is bottlenecking the improvements will be negligible, and the 950 is only a bit better than a 560Ti even without an old CPU holding it back.

You're going to want to upgrade your CPU as well if you want to see a genuine improvement to performance.

really, thats surprising, I thought with such an old card I'd get a big improvement just from the vram. Note I'm not looking to get the most out of the card and I'm ok with it also being bottlenecked, as long as it means I can say run the games I'm running on low-medium on medium-high instead. I am planning on building a whole new PC later, so I'd rather not replace CPU since I'd need to replace mobo as well, and still be stuck with an old 1GB card

Flaxh

Hello guys,

A friend of mine is buillding his first rig and once again I ask for you help! :D

Besides general use it will be for gaming at 1080p, coding, and streaming.

Your Current Specs
: None
Budget: 1000€ Portugal
Main Use: Gaming, Coding and general use
Monitor Resolution: Already have 1080p monitor
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 1080/60FPS in games is the goal or at least stable 1080/30 until Pascal.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Already bought SSD Crucial BX200 240GB (70€) and an used Gainward GeForce® GTX 770 Phantom 4GB (160€) to replace when Pascal arrives.
When will you build?: Next month
Will you be overclocking?: Yes in the future

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $682.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 15:04 EST-0500

I realized I hadn't ordered the graphics card yet, and due to recent occurrences I can now afford a GTX 970.

Which brand of GTX 970 is least likely to have coil whine? That shit will drive me nuts.

MSI would be your bet best. I'm rocking the Zotac which apparently is the one most affected but I haven't heard a peep.

Is the PNY brand of decent quality?

I was thinking of picking this up next week along with my new processor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...nternal_Solid_State_Drive_-_SSD7CS1211-240-RB

Red Hood

Banned
Saw this for $900 (includes monitor)

Specs: Ostrog GT Case
CPU: Intel 3570k 3.4GHz with turbo to 3.8ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyer evo 212
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 1600
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition
PSU: Corsair CX600M
Wireless Card: TP Link N300
CD Drive: Samsung Black Sata DVD-ROM
Samsung EVO 840 120GB
Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS228H-P Black 21.5"

I know the 3570 is an older card but reviews on it seem pretty good. Can't seem to find a decent price on on as they are pretty much out of stock everywhere.

That's an okay price, no? Not sure about the US, but here in some parts of Europe we still pay the same price for a 970 as when it released (which is around 350/400€). Also, 3570K is a great processor, you can't go very wrong with it.

The only nit pit I have may be the screen. It's 60hz, right? Which is okay, but I see it's an LCD? I personally rather have an IPS panel if it's 60hz.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ugh...well after a week of consternation dealing with my new build dying after two weeks(wouldn't POST or display anything on monitor) I finally am back up and running after reaching my final straw and purchasing a new i7-6700k chip.

This was after replacing the PSU, RAM, and even a new Mobo(Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 replacing my assumedly dead ASUS Maximus VIII Hero). Turns out my ASUS board likely is actually fine and is still in perfect working condition, but I am sticking with the new Gigabyte(even though I think the Red/White 'racing stripe' look is ugly as sin). I just am unsure if the ASUS actually partially caused the CPU to die, and I despised the Ai Suite 3 software that for whatever reason refused to uninstall in Win 10. The ASUS forums are lit up with various Skylake users having similar problems(though not as severe) and the Gigabyte has been fine thus far to work with. Hard to say as I am fearful of even bothering to test my replacement CPU in the ASUS board to verify if it actually still is all good.

Getting ready to pack all the replacement/dead parts back to Amazon for refunds. Thankfully all of this occurred in the 30-day return window! Still, I practically bought two entire PC systems due to being unable to isolate the problem this week and I am better prepared to assume the CPU earlier next time. Strangely though, my internal speaker didn't exactly hint with beeps that the CPU was unable to work...(maybe there is no error beeps for a dead CPU?)

Anyway, all is well finally and I had the biggest sigh of relief when I installed the new chip and watched the monitor spring to life with POST. My experience with building a new PC this past month ran the gamut of all the emotions I used to have doing the same in the late 90's/early 00's. Soul-crushing and yet exciting at the same time.

Now to decide on a new case....(thinking NZXT H440)

e90Mark

Ugh...well after a week of consternation dealing with my new build dying after two weeks(wouldn't POST or display anything on monitor) I finally am back up and running after reaching my final straw and purchasing a new i7-6700k chip.

This was after replacing the PSU, RAM, and even a new Mobo(Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 replacing my assumedly dead ASUS Maximus VIII Hero). Turns out my ASUS board likely is actually fine and is still in perfect working condition, but I am sticking with the new Gigabyte(even though I think the Red/White 'racing stripe' look is ugly as sin). I just am unsure if the ASUS actually partially caused the CPU to die, and I despised the Ai Suite 3 software that for whatever reason refused to uninstall in Win 10. The ASUS forums are lit up with various Skylake users having similar problems(though not as severe) and the Gigabyte has been fine thus far to work with. Hard to say as I am fearful of even bothering to test my replacement CPU in the ASUS board to verify if it actually still is all good.

Getting ready to pack all the replacement/dead parts back to Amazon for refunds. Thankfully all of this occurred in the 30-day return window! Still, I practically bought two entire PC systems due to being unable to isolate the problem this week and I am better prepared to assume the CPU earlier next time. Strangely though, my internal speaker didn't exactly hint with beeps that the CPU was unable to work...(maybe there is no error beeps for a dead CPU?)

Anyway, all is well finally and I had the biggest sigh of relief when I installed the new chip and watched the monitor spring to life with POST. My experience with building a new PC this past month ran the gamut of all the emotions I used to have doing the same in the late 90's/early 00's. Soul-crushing and yet exciting at the same time.

Very weird. The failure rate for CPU is so low, it's actually surprising that it was the problem.

RGM79

really, thats surprising, I thought with such an old card I'd get a big improvement just from the vram. Note I'm not looking to get the most out of the card and I'm ok with it also being bottlenecked, as long as it means I can say run the games I'm running on low-medium on medium-high instead. I am planning on building a whole new PC later, so I'd rather not replace CPU since I'd need to replace mobo as well, and still be stuck with an old 1GB card

Depends on the games you play. Some are more constrained by the CPU than others. It's safer to upgrade everything, but if you do get a GTX 950 or something similar now, you can always carry it over to a new PC. VRAM doesn't necessarily mean higher performance, it just means more room for the graphics card to load and process game assets like textures and whatnot. For example, if you had a game that only used up 1GB of VRAM, then both the 2GB and 4GB versions of the GTX 960 would give about the same performance. Memory is a bottleneck if there isn't enough of it, but memory doesn't contribute to performance if there's more than enough and some is left being unused.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'm going to buy a power source from the local store here.

Here's a guideline of what sort of power supplies you should look at, going by brand and model.

Hey folks, looking to eventually get a 1TB SSD drive and was wondering as you generally better sticking with Samsung/Crucial or are Sandisks SSDs ok ? Like the Sandisk Ultra II for example.

Depends on the cost. Sandisk is usually alright, I haven't heard of any issues that mean you should avoid them at all, they're just not the fastest.

As far as I know, coil whine isn't necessarily limited to or characteristic of certain brands. If you search for it, you can probably see that nearly every brand probably has some reports of coil whine.

Sucks to hear it was the CPU. At least the problem was figured out. Have you contacted Intel about an RMA for your apparently defective processor?

Ally1987

I'm struggling to overclock my 5820K @ 4.3 mhz. It fails all my stress testes, and I just can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong. Cooling with a Noctua DH H15. Can anyone please tell me and what I should change in BIOS? This is my currently settings in BIOS

W7Gb.jpg

X7Gb.jpg

Y7Gb.jpg

Z7Gb.jpg

a8Gb.jpg

Mystic654

My AIO recently got recalled, Got it replaced. When I got the new unit it was still leaking(Right out of the box). I don't want to take a risk on a third and it would destroy all my hardware. I thought maybe it's time to switch to another AIO. Saw this Swiftech AIO at CES which looked very nice. Never used a Swiftech Product not 100% about Build quality and support.

1. Currently I have my i7 5960x at Stock speed with XMP Ram enable sitting at around 33C. Would I expect the same temps with the H240X2 or could I get something even better? I have a 240 AIO currently.

2. My case is tight with space, If I could get EK Predator would Switech H0240X2 fit into the Case as well? I have a Case-Labs S8S.

rtcn63

Anyone recently install an Inateck USB 3.0 PCIE card?

After installing the drivers, it still says there's an "unknown device" under Device Manager. Can't do anything with it, and I'm guessing that it's related to not using the 20pin that lets you connect two external USB ports. There's nothing attached to it.

cyen

I'm struggling to overclock my 5820K @ 4.3 mhz. It fails all my stress testes, and I just can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong. Cooling with a Noctua DH H15. Can anyone please tell me and what I should change in BIOS? This is my currently settings in BIOS

W7Gb.jpg

X7Gb.jpg

Y7Gb.jpg

Z7Gb.jpg

a8Gb.jpg

It´s a X99-A? I have that MB and the same CPU, Mine it´s a dude, 1.25v for a completly stable 4.1ghz.

KingKong

Depends on the games you play. Some are more constrained by the CPU than others. It's safer to upgrade everything, but if you do get a GTX 950 or something similar now, you can always carry it over to a new PC. VRAM doesn't necessarily mean higher performance, it just means more room for the graphics card to load and process game assets like textures and whatnot. For example, if you had a game that only used up 1GB of VRAM, then both the 2GB and 4GB versions of the GTX 960 would give about the same performance. Memory is a bottleneck if there isn't enough of it, but memory doesn't contribute to performance if there's more than enough and some is left being unused.

thanks, that makes sense. So in your opinion, whats the best card for me to pair with a Q6600, understanding that I'm going to have a big bottleneck no matter what.

I think I'm still having trouble understanding how much of an improvement I would get from a 950 or 960, like almost none at all because my gpu is already bottlenecked or a decent amount but not nearly as much as I would with a better cpu?

BIGWORM

yes, its a X99-A. Im trying @4.3ghz/1.265v but can't get it stable.

I have a Z97-E. You need to up your CPU CACHE voltage to 1.25v FIXED voltage, none of that auto + offset setup. Also, set your CPU Vcore voltage to manual, then type in 1.25v. Also, turn OFF Asus Multicore Enhancement, as well as CPU Spread Spectrum, which would be towards the bottom of the Ai Tweaker screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom