• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leca

Eeeek that's not good. Time for a new motherboard :(

Check the CPU for damage also.

Bending the pins back without breaking them will take some care and skill, they may never be the same again.

Hi, a friend is looking for a new pc and I'm trying to help him. I'm not knowledgeable on whats the best price/performance ratio so I'm coming here, thanks!

Budget: $700 USD
Main Use: Purely gaming, I know he wants Xcom 2 and new Doom.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: as soon as possible
Will you be overclocking?: No
No need for an OS.

LilJoka

My roommate bought a heatsink for his K processor, and now when he boots his computer back up after installation, it's turning itself off after a few seconds then back on again. We read up on some possible solutions and troubleshooting options. We've tried everything. When he removed the CPU, we noticed some of the pins look to be bent down on the CPU socket of the motherboard. Does this look to be reason for alarm? He doesn't remember if it looked like that originally before installing the heatsink.

KnsbHUX.jpg

If this board is out of warranty then bend the pins back so they somewhat fit the overall pattern of the pin layout.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Thanks guys. Yep, few days outside the return period, but he's gonna call Fry's tomorrow and see if they'll help him out regardless.

NeOak

So OCed a 2500k i got as a gift from my brother since he upgraded to a 4.8Ghz 6600k. He hadn't OCed it because it was a prebuilt system with a cheap H61 board. Got 4.5Ghz stable with my H75 and the cheap MSI Z77 G41. Also got 16GB of 2133 DDR3 with 10 CAS (it was the same price as regular 1600 at Microcenter)

Quite a bit of an upgrade from a i5-2400 @ 3.4Ghz with 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Thought about going for 32GB but for games I think 16GB is fine.

ISee

So OCed a 2500k i got as a gift from my brother since he upgraded to a 4.8Ghz 6600k. He hadn't OCed it because it was a prebuilt system with a cheap H61 board. Got 4.5Ghz stable with my H75 and the cheap MSI Z77 G41. Also got 16GB of 2133 DDR3 with 10 CAS (it was the same price as regular 1600 at Microcenter)

Quite a bit of an upgrade from a i5-2400 @ 3.4Ghz with 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Thought about going for 32GB but for games I think 16GB is fine.

Enjoy your 'new' CPU. Performance wise this sounds like a significant upgrade. When it comes to ram. 32gb are pretty much useless for gaming atm. Some games take profit from 16gb but the majority (>95%) are just fine with 8gb. So even 16gb is a bit overkill atm.

NeOak

Enjoy your 'new' CPU. Performance wise this sounds like a significant upgrade. When it comes to ram. 32gb are pretty much useless for gaming atm. Some games take profit from 16gb but the majority (>95%) are just fine with 8gb. So even 16gb is a bit overkill atm.

Lately I tend to run 2 MMOs (BnS & TERA) at the same time (they can idle pretty well when they are in the background, based Piece of Shit UE3 versions that can't really multithread well) because I alt tab to chat, so the 16GB does help in my very particular case.

Cyldman

Banned
Hello people. I'm gonna buy gtx770 and i wanna know if my power source is enough or good for it.
I heard people saying it won't work but i need a second opinion...
My Power is NOX APEX 700W.
Any idea?

ISee

Hi Gaf,

I'm helping out a friend who wants to build himself a brand new gaming PC. We already decided on a case, fans, PSU, drives etc and most importantly I persuaded him to go with a 970 over a 960 so in a way we are a bit over budget and we have around 570€ left for CPU, CPU cooling, mainboard and ram but we have access to 16gb of ddr3 2133 ram for free, which is a plus.
Overclockability is important and my friend really wants usb 3.1 support just to be a bit more future proof.
So we played around a bit and figured out the following two builds (and by all means they aren't final!)

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/VN6NFT

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€353.34 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€46.06 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€175.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
RAM: 16 gb of ddr3 2133 mhz (free)
Total: €575.29

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/nCYZt6

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€256.64 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€46.06 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€152.83 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€106.80 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €562.33

Any recommendations on other parts? Also as both systems are in the same price range which is the better one? I tend to favour the i5 skylake a bit over the i7 haswell refresh, but I have the feeling that HTT could help out in future games a bit more...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Going to build a new PC soon and I'm wondering what the major difference are, between a MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100 Million Edition and a Asus Turbo GTX970.

Any advice?

The Asus Turbo will be cheaper for me.

Agraavan

I'm passing by to thanks RGM79 and everybody else who helped me here with my new rig. I already installed everything and I'm all set to go.

The CPU cooler is huge and took a good chunk of space, So I had to remove one cooler on the case lateral, it almost cover one of the VGA slots and it's over two memory slots, so I'm glad I bought two and not four. ¬¬

Now I just have to enjoy the machine that I'll be spending the next years with. Thanks again.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I was just wondering what CPU is as good as the old 2500k for o/c? As i went from that to a 4770k and it has never liked o/c even with water i used to be able to run the 2500k at 4.8+ on air with no problems

After asking for help here about 100 seperate times about what to buy, when to buy, how to install it and everything else a first time builder asks, I've finally put together my rig.

....One more question though. I know with Windows 7 and previous you pretty much had to reinstall windows when you replace the motherboard particularly if it was a different brand, but I'm on 10, and it seems to be working fine without doing that. Is there anything I should be doing to make sure something doesn't go wrong? Like any drivers I should download?

Megauap

I was just wondering what CPU is as good as the old 2500k for o/c? As i went from that to a 4770k and it has never liked o/c even with water i used to be able to run the 2500k at 4.8+ on air with no problems

It depends on the silicon lottery. I have a 4770K and I am only able to overclock it to 4.3 with water cooling. Almost everybody says that they can get 4.5 easily but if I overclock it past that, the computer just refuses to boot, it only lets me access the BIOS.

bomblord1

Banned
Kind of random but does anyone know an online retailer that will price match newegg? There's a component I'm looking at that's on sale and it's sold out on newegg.

Best Z170 motherboard under $250? Does not seem to be a standout in brands, requirements are full ATX size, possible SLI for future and decent audio (1150). Any recommendations would be a great help, can push budget if required.

Lately I tend to run 2 MMOs (BnS & TERA) at the same time (they can idle pretty well when they are in the background, based Piece of Shit UE3 versions that can't really multithread well) because I alt tab to chat, so the 16GB does help in my very particular case.

With that much RAM do you experience any delay when alt-tabbing to your desktop to use your browser/other programs?

My current system (until my new one courtesy of RGM79 gets here) has 4GB and it chugs massively when alt-tabbed with B&S up so I was wondering how much room 16GB gives you to do things like that.

It depends on the silicon lottery. I have a 4770K and I am only able to overclock it to 4.3 with water cooling. Almost everybody says that they can get 4.5 easily but if I overclock it past that, the computer just refuses to boot, it only lets me access the BIOS.

What vcore are you using at 4.3? 4.3 does seem really low for a 4770K.. though I guess it can happen.

Windam

Scaley member
Kind of random but does anyone know an online retailer that will price match newegg? There's a component I'm looking at that's on sale and it's sold out on newegg.

NCIX does (at least here in Canada), and Memory Express will price match and beat it by 10% (they only ship to Canada though I believe).

NeOak

With that much RAM do you experience any delay when alt-tabbing to your desktop to use your browser/other programs?

My current system (until my new one courtesy of RGM79 gets here) has 4GB and it chugs massively when alt-tabbed with B&S up so I was wondering how much room 16GB gives you to do things like that.

0 delay.

bomblord1

Banned
NCIX does (at least here in Canada), and Memory Express will price match and beat it by 10% (they only ship to Canada though I believe).

I'm not in Canada so memory express is out of the question checked NCIX and they sadly don't have the same item. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quick question : today, at boot, my PC told me I've lost my Windows 7 authentification, and the code no longer appear in my system properties.

My copy is authentic and I just need to fish out the install CD from somewhere in storage, but I find the accident suspicious : am I being hacked ?

Damn.

That PC can't get here soon enough.

I'm ready to join the future!

I'm typing to you on the future right now and it's amazing! I did it guys, I'm up and running. Thank you guys so much for all of your help! Now it's time to learn how fiddle with the settings without blowing something up.

You guys think this will handle undertale on ultra?

Also, any guidelines on downloading steam? Stuff that I should or shouldn't do? What are my options for game launchers?

What should I go with? An i7 4790k or an i5 6600k? I presume the Skylake tech is newer and better compatible with things going forward? 970 going with it with 8GB RAM.

bomblord1

Banned
What should I go with? An i7 4790k or an i5 6600k? I presume the Skylake tech is newer and better compatible with things going forward? 970 going with it with 8GB RAM.

i7 is hands down the more powerful processor. Skylake does allow you access to DDR4 ram but the actual difference there is minimal.

Although the price point for the 4790K you could get a i7-6700 (non k) which is closer in power but still a little worse according to benchmarks.

Decado

Trying to decide what/when to upgrade or get a new PC.

Have:
i5 3570k @ 4.2
Gigabyte 670 GTX OC
8 gb RAM
Gigabyte Z77N mobo
Bitfenix Prodigy mITX Mini-ITX Tower Case (listed as it is smaller than normal tower)

It has bee great with all games, but with Xcom2 almost out and apparently a resource hog and DOOM and Shadow Warrior 2 out this year, it looks like I'll be bumping up agains more and more resource intensive games.

Note that I live in Canada and can be somewhat patient. My backlog is pretty big.

Recommendations?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
For that budget, the I recommend the good old standby - the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. There shouldn't be RAM slot problems. Even if there were, you can just slide the CPU cooler's fan upward to allow room underneath for the RAM.

Wouldn't fit. Coolermaster is 159mm, whereas the max the Xigmatek Asgard could squeeze is apparently 150 and even then I'm dubious, so I need some squatter options, sorry!

Fuck it went and bought my processor early, finally getting back to my PC!

Also visiting that micro center was like PC nirvana, definitely coming back when I get paid again

Trying to decide what/when to upgrade or get a new PC.

Have:
i5 3570k @ 4.2
Gigabyte 670 GTX OC
8 gb RAM
Gigabyte Z77N mobo
Bitfenix Prodigy mITX Mini-ITX Tower Case (listed as it is smaller than normal tower)

It has bee great with all games, but with Xcom2 almost out and apparently a resource hog and DOOM and Shadow Warrior 2 out this year, it looks like I'll be bumping up agains more and more resource intensive games.

Note that I live in Canada and can be somewhat patient. My backlog is pretty big.

Recommendations?
All you really need is a new video card. Maybe 390?

Edit: double check what length of GPU can fit in your case of course.

Manp

Thanks guys. Yep, few days outside the return period, but he's gonna call Fry's tomorrow and see if they'll help him out regardless.

any damage to cpu socket pins is usually not covered by warranty.
if you ever decide to try and bend them back get a magnifying glass and some tiny pliers. and be super gentle.

junpei

so i don't know much about computers i was just wondering if someone here could tell me if it would be smarter to build a new PC or to upgrade my current one. I am looking to run games like xcom 2, the new tomb raider , just cause 3 and the new deus ex on high settings.

current motherboard MSI p67a-g43
Current GPU GeForce GTX 550 Ti
current cpu Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
current power supply 500 w dynex
hdd WD caviar blue 1 tb

so i don't know much about computers i was just wondering if someone here could tell me if it would be smarter to build a new PC or to upgrade my current one. I am looking to run games like xcom 2, the new tomb raider , just cause 3 and the new deus ex on high settings.

current motherboard MSI p67a-g43
Current GPU GeForce GTX 550 Ti
current cpu Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
current power supply 500 w dynex
hdd WD caviar blue 1 tb

Just get a new GPU (GTX 970?) and a 700+ Watt PSU and you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom