• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is compatible with it.

Edit: Just about any modern graphic card is compatible with 2 monitor, just an fyi. But if you want to game pretty well on 1 of those monitors then yes you should get a 960 or up.

I mean how do I know the card is compatible with the board?

Yeah that works. $220 is fine.

Ok, noob question... if I buy this board: "ASRock H97M" how do I know if a video card that says this: "EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card 04G-P4-3967-KR" is compatible with it ??

Almost all motherboards out there in the market are compatible with any GPU (PCI-E).

if you want something technical, you need to check the board if it has PCI-E slots.

I was playing XCOM Enemy Unknown while I was running a full system scan using Kaspersky for the first time, and 5 minutes into playing my whole computer froze. I held the power button for 5 seconds or whatever to turn it off. Now when I turn it on, nothing displays to the monitor. What could have happened?

The fans are running. Everything sounds ok, but USB doesnt seem to work nor any feedback to the monitors

Edit: I noticed my front USB still works so wow, when I plugged my mouse from the back USB port to the front, it made the whole computer monitors and keyboard work. Very very weird

I might have spoken too soon. I started running Prime95 after getting the all clear message from intelburntest and I'm running into a illegal sumout error on the fourth worker for Prime95. I went back to stock speeds and I'm still getting the same error. I ran memtest86 and nothing failed there either. I hope its not a bad cpu or mb.

Passing everything on the blend torture test so far on Prime95.

Unless you are going to be rendering stuff or doing calculations for some simulation, you probably don't need to worry.

You might try out the x264 stability test program. It renders a small movie and you can loop it.

Games and whatnot don't really stress out your pc as much as these synthetic tests do.

Unless you are going to be rendering stuff or doing calculations for some simulation, you probably don't need to worry.

Games and whatnot don't really stress out your pc as much as these synthetic tests do.

Ya I'm definitely not going to do that. I ran that blend torture test for only 75 minutes but that fourth core completed everything just fine. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and just run a few more tests. Thanks.

edit: I'll give that program a try, thanks.

Mystic654

anyone know if Swiftech MCP 655 with Speed Control (D5) is a good pump for Watercooling or is their another one I should be looking at?

RGM79

Hello. Looking to build a PC. Doesn't need to run max settings but a slightly above average build would be fine for me.

My dilemma... it HAS to run two monitors.

Do any of the video cards in the recommendations support two monitors?

How much do you want to spend? What country are you in and are there any other considerations to take into account besides dual monitors? Filling out the short questionnaire from the first post of this thread will help us figure out what you need.

Even older generation Intel integrated graphics can run dual monitors easily, you might not even need a graphics card at all unless you want to do some gaming on this PC.

edit: nevermind

Did you figure out what was wrong? I'm sure that card has a semi-fanless mode where at low temperature and 2D applications, it will shut down the fans to cut down on noise. I thought it would shut down both fans at the same time, though.

Well a evga 970 ssc showed up on amazon warehouse deals "very good" and by description is probably an unopened but damaged box.

It was $270 which I think is a pretty good deal and worth not getting the division or tomb raider. Already have tomb raider and division keys will probably be available for $25 or so.

What kinds of tests should I run on it to make sure it doesn't have any issues?

After upgrading my PC I will have some spare parts. Pretty much enough to build another PC. How much do you guys think this would be worth.

Case-Antec Sonata II It's seen better days and the door covering the drives is broke off, but it's still a solid case.

CPU- Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz Good enough for last gen games and some cross gen.

GPU- MSI GeForce GTX 460 768MB Good enough for 1080p on last gen games and tons of PC titles.

Memory- 4GB DDR3 1333

HDD- 100GB kind of old, but still working.

I don't have a power supply, so thinking of just selling everything individually. Also thought about just selling it without the GPU as an internet/e-mail machine. At the very least it's a Minecraft machine. I don't have high expectations. Any thoughts?

luoapp

After upgrading my PC I will have some spare parts. Pretty much enough to build another PC. How much do you guys think this would be worth.

Case-Antec Sonata II It's seen better days and the door covering the drives is broke off, but it's still a solid case.

CPU- Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz Good enough for last gen games and some cross gen.

GPU- MSI GeForce GTX 460 768MB Good enough for 1080p on last gen games and tons of PC titles.

Memory- 4GB DDR3 1333

HDD- 100GB kind of old, but still working.

I don't have a power supply, so thinking of just selling everything individually. Also thought about just selling it without the GPU as an internet/e-mail machine. At the very least it's a Minecraft machine. I don't have high expectations. Any thoughts?

~100-150 after ebay/paypal tax depending on the bids.

AzerPhire

Would you guys recommend upgrading to a GTX 980 at this point or should I wait till Nvidia announces their new cards? I'd be coming from a 670 which has handled most games at high and 30fps so far.

The rest of my specs are:
i7 3770k
16GB DDR3

~100-150 after ebay/paypal tax depending on the bids.

With power supply?

Would you guys recommend upgrading to a GTX 980 at this point or should I wait till Nvidia announces their new cards? I'd be coming from a 670 which has handled most games at high and 30fps so far.

i7 3770k
16GB DDR3

I'm trying to wait until the new cards hit, but I'm already getting weak. I'm thinking of selling my 7870XT and some other stuff to get a 970 and selling that if the new cards are worth it.

Oxn

i7 3770k
16GB DDR3

Wait til June for 1080

Ezalc

Guys I'm thinking about building like a mini gaming pc using these parts, what do you guys think?

-Elite mini itx 110 coolermaster case
-Kingston ram 4gb ddr3 1866mhz hyper x fury (2 of these)
-80plus bronze evga 600w power supply
-Intel i5 4460 processor
-Gigabyte intel mini itx lga1150 serie 8 ddr3 motherboard
-Geforce evga entusiasta nvidia gtx 960 4gb or 2gb
-Western digital blue 1tb harddrive

Oxn

I thought it was looking more like fall for the next line of nvidia cards?

Don't they usually release the highest price titan tier ones first, then the ~$600 versions, then a few months later the $400 good price/performance versions?

No, the likely scenario is 1080 in June-ish (which is a cut down Pascal)

Titan in Q4, or Q1 2017, then 1080Ti a few months after that (both of which will be full fledged Pascal with HBM2).

Either way, don't get a 980. It is a terrible value, if you must get a 980 Ti or Nano or Fury X.

Titan in Q4, or Q1 2017, then 1080Ti a few months after that (both of which will be full fledged Pascal with HBM2).

Either way, don't get a 980. It is a terrible value, if you must get a 980 Ti or Nano or Fury X.

What about the 970 follow up? The $400 tier?

Urthor

970 follow up should be simultaneous with the 980 follow up based on past performance. NIVIDIA definitely wants to start moving the lower quality chips right off the bat without a slowdown basically, it starts ASAP with the 1070 tier off-cuts more or less, so they spend as long as possible on the shelves before the Titan/Ti cycle kicks in.

The question is whether they'll be uh, well, as generous, as they were with the 970 this time.

The 970 was severely cut down, but was still a rocketship at its price point. The question is how much will Nvidia cut down the 1070? Nobody actually knows, it could be another hit out of the park car, or they could try just that little bit more to push people to the 1080 tier.

Odds are they will because ATI going to 14NM should be some fireworks, but it's something to watch. We don't know price/performance until these things actually happen.

bkw

Hi guys. I got my computer setup with Windows right now and I'm trying to plan out how to get an installation of Linux going (CentOS), just to mess around. I don't want to disturb my Windows setup at all, so I'm thinking of installing Linux on a separate drive, and then selecting the boot drive when the computer starts (I think it's F11 for my system.) Can I do this?

I'm thinking of...
Unplugging the SSD with Windows.
Plugging in an external USB HD and installing Linux.
Plug the Windows SSD back, then use F11 on boot to switch between the two.

Would this work without much issue? Can I even run Linux off a USB drive? I don't need Windows to see the Linux drive, nor have Linux see the Windows drive (I rather not actually).

Guys. Is there any disadvantage to buying value ram? I am looking at soMe PANRAM value that is cheaper than all of the other a rip jaw crap with metal shit glued to it. Is there any disadvantage? Or is it the same stuff? Please advise.

Also, I am doing a standard i5 build with 1 video card. Will 600w PSU be enough?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Guys. Is there any disadvantage to buying value ram? I am looking at soMe PANRAM value that is cheaper than all of the other a rip jaw crap with metal shit glued to it. Is there any disadvantage? Or is it the same stuff? Please advise.

Also, I am doing a standard i5 build with 1 video card. Will 600w PSU be enough?

The timings could be bad as well as the quality.
Seriously, ram is cheap as hell. Just get the good stuff.

That depends on the video card. Look at the rail voltage and ensure it can power the card of choice.

None whatsoever. Unless you're on Skylake and using DDR4 RAM, in which case high quality/high speed RAM can easily increase your gaming performance significantly.

A solid 80+ rated 600 W PSU is plenty for that build, especially if you don't intend to add an additional card for SLI/Crossfire in the future. I'm rocking a 550W Seasonic G-550 model with a i5 4960K and a GTX 970 and it has headroom to spare for overclocking.

bkw

It wouldn't work? What kind of issues might I run into?
I also have a eSata port that I could try, but I'll have to get the proper enclosure for the drive.
I guess ideally I'd skip the external drive, and just install it internally, but my ITX case doesn't have a spot to mount a second drive.

bkw

Sorry, it will work. Running linux off a usb drive does have some limitations, (depends on the distro), but you have most functions. Have you thought about running Linux inside a virtual machine?
Yeah, I suppose a VM would make the most sense. I just didn't want to muck around with my existing setup if I'm just experimenting. Kind of a neat freak. Same reason why I didn't want to install some boot loader.

derFeef

So I am rocking this 2500k for a while now and it works great at 4.1ghz
However I start to think that I can squeeze a little bit more performance for gaming out of this machine without having to change everything. Here is my setup.

ANlQm5n.png

Would a CPU upgrade be worthwhile? Especially money/performance?
Supported CPU list: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67 Extreme6/?cat=CPU

Thanks!

RGM79

Guys I'm thinking about building like a mini gaming pc using these parts, what do you guys think?

-Elite mini itx 110 coolermaster case
-Kingston ram 4gb ddr3 1866mhz hyper x fury (2 of these)
-80plus bronze evga 600w power supply
-Intel i5 4460 processor
-Gigabyte intel mini itx lga1150 serie 8 ddr3 motherboard
-Geforce evga entusiasta nvidia gtx 960 4gb or 2gb
-Western digital blue 1tb harddrive

Where are you buying those parts, how much do they cost, and what's your budget? You didn't mention what model of motherboard you're getting, and why two separate kits of 1866MHz RAM?

So could anyone give this a once-over?

I'd wait until a week or two before you plan to get everything together to come up with a final parts list. There's still 4~6 weeks until the end of March, so prices can change somewhat. There are some suggestions I can make:
  • You don't need a water cooler for a non-overclockable processor. The Corsair H60 isn't that much better than lower priced air coolers, anyway.
  • I highly recommend avoiding DDR3. You're buying all new parts, so there's no reason to go with older DDR3. It's not recommended to be used with Skylake anyway, as it runs at a higher voltage and you're not saving much money if at all.
  • That SSD is awful. Kingston was doing some shady and quiet parts swapping so the V300 is not the same drive that was reviewed when it first came out, performance has dropped considerably. Even if it's cheap, I highly recommend spending more for a better performing SSD from Crucial, Samsung, Sandisk, etc.
  • Paying $220 for an R9 380 is kinda pricey, there are very good 4GB models that start at less than $200 after rebate.
Overall, you could be paying less or at least getting more for your money's worth. Here's what I recommend as an example parts list for $900 after rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card ($274.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $897.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-16 01:31 EST-0500

Not particularly interested in overclocking, but I've been looking at the i5-6600K and might end up going that direction. I'd need to upgrade the RAM as well, but the overall package isn't that much more expensive. I actually was looking at H170 motherboards, but the Z170 ended up being around the same price for most brands. (ASRock has a cheap H170 board I could switch to.) And yeah, the 850 Pro is expensive; I haven't decided if I really want to pay that premium. I have a friend who works in the SSD industry, and he highly recommends going with the higher-priced SSDs like the 850 Pro for performance and reliability, but there's a good chance I'll get the Evo instead.

If you want to spend more for the overclockable K model, go ahead. You might find yourself a few years down the line wanting to overclock, it'll let you keep going without needing a processor upgrade for longer.

Well, as far as I've seen, the 850 Evo is enough for most users. Fast enough, cheap enough, and reliable enough. The Pro edition is just even better for speed and reliability/warranty, that's all.

Here's the link for the shop where I'll buy http://dynaquestpc.com/product-category/components/power-supply-psu/power-supply-psu-700w-900w/, this shop is my only choice since it's the nearest. My price range will be around the Seasonic M12 Evo's pricing. Same thing goes with the ram maybe I can add 1,000 (local currency) more on both components.

With the parts list that you've shown us, you can opt for a decent 600 watt power supply and still have some headroom. Either of these three will offer enough power for your parts.

Seasonic S12II 620 watt non-modular
Cooler Master 650 watt semi-modular
Seasonic S12II 620 watt semi-modular

As for the RAM, I'm not sure what Corsair 4x4GB kit you were looking at, but I'm fairly certain that this G.Skill 2x8GB 1600MHz kit is cheaper.

So I just stumbled upon a £125~ Corsair AX860 (80+ Platinum), and I never did manage to find a new PSU way back. Corsair offers a 7 year warranty on the unit (as opposed to 10 EVGA offers on their 850 G2, Gold)

Both are fully modular which is very much a must for me; great warranty on both units and a decent enough overhead that I can have some fun. The price difference between the two (due to said good deal on the Corsair one) is only about £10~ / $15-ish. Does anyone have experience with either, or should I just go for the Platinum one for the obvious advantage of... It being Platinum? :p

That Corsair was an amazing model back when it launched about 3 years ago, and it still is. Nothing wrong with it. Gold and platinum simply mean different efficiency level percentages, as far as I'm concerned they're all at the same level of high quality, you'd be getting some of the best there is. It's hard to go wrong with either. Sorry that this post doesn't really help, perhaps you should buy the one that comes from the retailer you trust more?

bennibop

If anyone in the UK is interested I am selling a brand new 4gb MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozer V, was fitted in my PC for less than 2 weeks! Includes the download code for Steam copy of Rise of the Tom Raider. £230 + £5pp

Message me if interested.

Ezalc

Where are you buying those parts, how much do they cost, and what's your budget? You didn't mention what model of motherboard you're getting, and why two separate kits of 1866MHz RAM?

To the first few questions, I'm in Brasil and I'll be buying the parts here which are generally more expensive than in the US but either way doing a correct exchange for every part is troublesome at the moment, but I could try to do so once I'm home.

I thought I had mentioned the model? Motherboard gigabyte Intel mini itx Lga1150 series 8 ddr3.

And it's always good to have some more ram, and two 4gb ones are cheaper than one 8gb one here.

Vanmunt

Banned

All this speculation is making my head spin, just seems like a never ending waiting game.. quite new to this PC gaming merry-go-round.

Going to pull the trigger today, please tell me if this is good or if I should change something.
€ 1.116,52

pcbuildfinal52u33.png

can't really say because of the currency if it's good value for you but you could maybe do better on your CPU fan, case, HDD, GPU and motherboard.

Check out the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo cpu fan, Fractal Design Define S case, Asus Z170-P or Z170-K motherboard, WD BLUE 1TB HD, and any of the EVGA 970's. If you're happy with the parts you picked then I don't see anything wrong with it.

can't really say because of the currency if it's good value for you but you could maybe do better on your CPU fan, case, HDD, GPU and motherboard.

Check out the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo cpu fan, Fractal Design Define S case, Asus Z170-P or Z170-K motherboard, WD BLUE 1TB HD, and any of the EVGA 970's. If you're happy with the parts you picked then I don't see anything wrong with it.

The cooler you've recommended is only 30 €, so 18 € cheaper, the MB are both 15€ cheaper, but the MB I chose comes with AC:Syndicate. The case is 90€.

I think the MSI GTX 970 is the best card for my needs tbh.

Basically, 1€ = $1.10 US The euro is pretty bad right now.

RayStorm

Going to pull the trigger today, please tell me if this is good or if I should change something.
€ 1.116,52

http://abload.de/img/pcbuildfinal52u33.png[/][/QUOTE]

Don't buy a Seagate HDD. Especially at lower capacities the have/had until very recently a much a higher failure rate than other manufacturers.

e90Mark

Well a evga 970 ssc showed up on amazon warehouse deals "very good" and by description is probably an unopened but damaged box.

It was $270 which I think is a pretty good deal and worth not getting the division or tomb raider. Already have tomb raider and division keys will probably be available for $25 or so.

What kinds of tests should I run on it to make sure it doesn't have any issues?

Make sure the fans work from 0-100%. I had a warehouse 980ti, and one of the fans would get stuck and stop spinning around 60-70% speed.

RGM79

To the first few questions, I'm in Brasil and I'll be buying the parts here which are generally more expensive than in the US but either way doing a correct exchange for every part is troublesome at the moment, but I could try to do so once I'm home.

I thought I had mentioned the model? Motherboard gigabyte Intel mini itx Lga1150 series 8 ddr3.

And it's always good to have some more ram, and two 4gb ones are cheaper than one 8gb one here.

Oh, there's no point in translating the prices into their USD equivalent. You don't need to do that. If the retailer you're buying from has a website, just link that.

No, I don't understand what model of motherboard that is. Gigabyte makes five different 8 series motherboards (H81, B85, H87, Q87, and Z87 chipsets) and at least one mini ITX model for each chipset, and all of them use DDR3. A model number would be good, like "GA-Z97N-WIFI" or similar.

Oh, if the price makes sense for the RAM, then go for it. Make sure the motherboard supports 1866MHz though, otherwise it'll just run the RAM at 1333 or 1600MHz instead.

Would this be a good cooler for an i7-6700K or an i5-6600K to OC in the future? Note: A low profile cooler is a must.
783852f4-8b43-4551-b6b0-785b2292767e._CB310728920__SR300,300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, that's an excellent cooler. It's been the king of budget coolers for a few years now. I'm not sure what you mean by "low profile" though, the 212 Evo is 160mm tall. How small does the cooler have to be to fit your needs?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Would this be a good cooler for an i7-6700K or an i5-6600K to OC in the future? Note: A low profile cooler is a must.
783852f4-8b43-4551-b6b0-785b2292767e._CB310728920__SR300,300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O65JXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Hyper 212 isn't exactly low profile. Haha.

The thing is so huge it prevents the use of a RAM slot. Not a big deal in my case and the cooler is among the best air coolers one could buy. I clocked my i5 haswell to 4.4ghz and my temps stay below 65 with it.

May want to look into an enclosed loop liquid cooler if you want low profile.

I need some pretty specific upgrade advice. My son who is addict to Starcraft II has been disappointed by low frame rates since the last expansion. I think its his cpu that is a bottle neck. His current system specs:

AMD A10-5700
Motherboard with FM2 socket
AMD 7850 video card with 1 gig of memory.

Is there any upgrade for around $200 that would speed up starcraft II? I'm assuming that it will have to be a cpu motherboard combo as the FM2 socket is rather limited.

Suggestions?

Noticed today that my Windows 10 PC will not shut down. I give the command to shut down, it does, and immediately boots back up.

I noticed Windows updated the last time I shut it down. Anybody else having this issue? What kinds of steps are typical when troubleshooting an issue like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom