• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

npa189

+1 to everything RGM said before.

If you want to upgrade, I'd suggest selling your 970 and buying a new card. I'd also say you're probably better off waiting for Pascal unless you absolutely need more performance right now.

I think this is good advice guys. New cards have to be right around the corner and I can live with my single 970 until then. 3440x1440 is just too much for it to handle in the high end stuff right now. I think I would be kicking myself when the next 980ti comes out.

holygeesus

Banned
There won't be a ti variant of the new Pascal flagship for a long, long time. As with all tech, there is always something better around the corner.

Afro

Quick noob question. There is no optical toslink output on my new motherboard. It just has the typical green headphone jack. I'm assuming I need to buy a sound card of some sort? I appreciate the help!

Here's the 'S/PDIF' port on my motherboard:

LWwcQR3.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
Quick noob question. There is no optical toslink output on my new motherboard. It just has the typical green headphone jack. I'm assuming I need to buy a sound card of some sort? I appreciate the help!

Here's the 'S/PDIF' port on my motherboard:

I've personally never seen a Mobo or a sound card with an optical audio out I'm sure they exist though.

Fake Edit: Found one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sound_card_optical_out-_-29-270-015-_-Product

I can't comment on the quality of it though and no reviews

Double Edit: Haha I say that and then look at the MOBO I just got in the mail earlier today and it has one xD

Arrrammis

Hey all, I'm looking for a quality monitor for relatively cheap (<$200), what would you recommend? It's mostly for gaming, and the one I borrowed from a friend when i first build my computer 2 months ago is 900p, which means games don't take much power to run, but I'd rather have at least 1080p. I don't need anything permanent, just something better.

Ifrit

Quick question: What's considered to be the GPU with the best value right now? planing on playing at 1080p resolution

Thinking of getting either a R9 380x or a GTX 960 with 4GB, but open to suggestions for other cards around the same price range

Afro

Quick question: What's considered to be the GPU with the best value right now? planing on playing at 1080p resolution

Thinking of getting either a R9 380x or a GTX 960 with 4GB, but open tu suggestions for other cards around the same price range

Shell out just $40 more for a used 970!

Buy a 980 to update my rig for Oculus now, or buy a 970 now with the plan to sell and upgrade to the new cards when they hit?

970, without question.

bill0527

So I got all the parts for my new build. I only plan on 1080p on a 24" monitor so I didn't need anything overkill.

i5 6600k
8gb corsair vengeance ddr4
Gigabyte z170 sli mobo
Gigabyte gtx 960 4gb vid card

And I get my mobo and notice it supports m.2 pcie up to 32gb/s transfer speeds. I was already planning using my Samsung 840 EVO 256gb SSD and a 1 TB western digital HDD from my old PC.

So the question is..is it worth dropping another $180 for a 256gb Samsung m.2 ssd for this system or just continue using what I was planning on using. It's a serious question because I've got all the parts for my build except the m.2 and that's what's holding me up. I can wait a few days to build it until it gets here. Can anyone talk me out of or give me a good reason why I should not buy this m.2 SSD?

bomblord1

Banned

Thinking of getting either a R9 380x or a GTX 960 with 4GB, but open to suggestions for other cards around the same price range

The best value per dollar irrespective of power level? According to the Futuremark hardware channel the r7 370 http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

What is your actual price point though?

Didn't the 970 had that VRAM problem everyone was talking about?

That 3.5gb won't come into equation on 1080p settings for most games. If you're unwilling to overclock and want more vram? Get a 390. If a 390 is up your alley, you might wanna wait for Polaris.

Feels good to actually type that. Although, prob not so much for potential buyers atm. Kind of depends on your current gpu atm.

So, will the higher-end Pascal/Polaris cards be about the same size as the Fury X (<8 inches), or will they still be 11+ inch case monsters? Want to know, since I don't want to buy a new case, but my current one (an old Antec 300 I've had since '08) probably won't fit a longer card.

So, will the higher-end Pascal/Polaris cards be about the same size as the Fury X (<8 inches), or will they still be 11+ inch case monsters? Want to know, since I don't want to buy a new case, but my current one (an old Antec 300 I've had since '08) probably won't fit a longer card.

The higher end cards on both ends should sure as hell be hbm. HBM is a much shorter form factor than GDDR5.

HBM isn't just solving TDP problems, it solving form factor as well. Both vendors should have a nice competitor for that situation. Right now, it's the nano or fury.

Just depends on how patient you are.

RGM79

Helping a friend with a new build. He's trying to keep it cost effective.

What do yall think would be a fair price for a Sapphire 7970 3GB if I sold it to him for his build?

It's out of warranty, I'm assuming? You can check craigslist, but ebay postings seem to start at $125~150.

Nope, no optical port. It's the P8H61-M LE R2.0

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045JHJSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You could get a sound card if you wanted, but you can just use this $13 adaptor to get S/PDIF optical from a header on your motherboard. Your motherboard does support S/PDIF, they just cheaped out and didn't include the connector at the back of the motherboard. The screenshot of the manual page you posted shows where to plug it in, and here's a picture of your motherboard with the actual port circled in red:

taihcI8.jpg

So I got all the parts for my new build. I only plan on 1080p on a 24" monitor so I didn't need anything overkill.

i5 6600k
8gb corsair vengeance ddr4
Gigabyte z170 sli mobo
Gigabyte gtx 960 4gb vid card

And I get my mobo and notice it supports m.2 pcie up to 32gb/s transfer speeds. I was already planning using my Samsung 840 EVO 256gb SSD and a 1 TB western digital HDD from my old PC.

So the question is..is it worth dropping another $180 for a 256gb Samsung m.2 ssd for this system or just continue using what I was planning on using. It's a serious question because I've got all the parts for my build except the m.2 and that's what's holding me up. I can wait a few days to build it until it gets here. Can anyone talk me out of or give me a good reason why I should not buy this m.2 SSD?

I don't think it's worth it. It's definitely faster than your old 840 Evo, but your SSD already provides you with great seek times and fast loading, the M.2 SSD just kicks it up a notch with even faster sequential read/write speeds. The performance is definitely there, but when I say I think it's not worth it, it's because $160 will get you a 500GB SATA SSD. In daily usage I don't think most users would notice the difference between SATA and M.2 very much, but if you're doing intensive work on the PC with large files (audio/video production, etc) then it could be worth it as time saved is time you can spend doing other things. For work it can improve productivity, but it's not a requirement for home use and gaming.

Maddanth

This may be a stupid question, but what does it take to run 4k and everything maxed and 60fps on newer triple AAA games? Is there even a card that does that? rite now I have 2 980ti sli and it seems that even in games that support SLI I can't come anywhere near to hitting that. Cards seem to be working fine as in most games I get at least 60fps and everything maxed at 1080p when I run Unigine valley it seems to be hitting average of 160 fps. Rest of my PC is I7@4790@4.0ghz@32 GB ram@ 2 980ti SLI. So is there no cards that really offer what I'm askin? Sorry stil kind of new to PC gaming, and I don't have allot of knowledge about PCs in general, although I'm learning lol. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Ifrit

Yes, but it will still destroy a 380X or 960. If you're concerned about longevity then there's the 390 8GB too.

The 390 seems to expensive (+$100 of my budget), I found at a good price for a used gtx 970 at Amazon warehouse deals, but I'm afraid it doesn't come with warranty.

The best value per dollar irrespective of power level? According to the Futuremark hardware channel the r7 370 http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

What is your actual price point though?

Interesting site, around my price range -$200- it seems the 270 is the best valued one.

970 is still the better value even @ 3.5GB VRAM. Look at the frames you'll be getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0VAPwrnmM

I'm fine with 60 fps on my games.

That 3.5gb won't come into equation on 1080p settings for most games. If you're unwilling to overclock and want more vram? Get a 390. If a 390 is up your alley, you might wanna wait for Polaris.

Feels good to actually type that. Although, prob not so much for potential buyers atm. Kind of depends on your current gpu atm.

390 seems to expensive to me unfortunately.

It's a difficult choice -_- Maybe I should buy something a little bit lower in specs. I'm trying to upgrade from an older Radeon HD 7850 with 2GB

Afro

You could get a sound card if you wanted, but you can just use this $13 adaptor to get S/PDIF optical from a header on your motherboard. Your motherboard does support S/PDIF, they just cheaped out and didn't include the connector at the back of the motherboard. The screenshot of the manual page you posted shows where to plug it in.

Wow. Strange, yet interesting. You saved me $20, thanks so much! Excellent reviews, too.

Well, that's 60fps in Hardline, which isn't that impressive. You'll be grateful you spent the extra $40 once you start playing much more taxing games like Quantum Break later this year, for example.

RGM79

This may be a stupid question, but what does it take to run 4k and everything maxed and 60fps on newer triple AAA games? Is there even a card that does that? rite now I have 2 980ti sli and it seems that even in games that support SLI I can't come anywhere near to hitting that. Cards seem to be working fine as in most games I get at least 60fps and everything maxed at 1080p when I run Unigine valley it seems to be hitting average of 160 fps. Rest of my PC is I7@4790@4.0ghz@32 GB ram@ 2 980ti SLI. So is there no cards that really offer what I'm askin? Sorry stil kind of new to PC gaming, and I don't have allot of knowledge about PCs in general, although I'm learning lol. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

What games are you playing? Some lean heavier on the GPU or CPU when it comes to framerate, but the absolutely most demanding games cannot be maxed out at 4K and 60FPS at the moment, even on a twin GTX 980 Ti setup. HardOCP tested the strongest flagship graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia in SLI/crossfire and it still isn't enough.

See here as well, something like GTAV cannot be maxed out at 4K even on a monster setup with an i7 5960X overclocked to 4.0GHz and and *four* GTX 980 Ti cards running together.

Ensirius

Time for a new PC.

I have for this thus far:

d620cceda60990ea37b70b6a96cd300e.png

I need a PSU. What do you recommend?
Is RAM ok for that build?

I will sell and upgrade the GPU when NEXT gen drops.

ghibli99

I've been looking into SLI lately and it doesn't seem as bad as you hear. 2 970s go toe to toe with a 980ti and I already own half the setup. Is a 600w PSW enough for two 970s? This seems to be the cheaper option than going for a 980ti or waiting for pascal. Is this a smart move in 2016?
I pretty much did what you're thinking about doing... I went w/ 2 970s for a while last year, but the heat was just more than I was comfortable with. I sold both in favor of a 980 ti FTW, which was pretty much an even trade, and I'm much happier now. Runs cooler, quieter, sucks less power, puts out comparable performance, I like the backplate (my 970s bowed like crazy), and I don't have to worry about game-specific SLI support.

Edit: And wow at that GTA5 on high w/ 4x (!) 980 ti not able to hit 60fps. 4K gaming is so far off for me. I'd rather have the frames.

Crisium

It's a difficult choice -_- Maybe I should buy something a little bit lower in specs. I'm trying to upgrade from an older Radeon HD 7850 with 2GB

If you cannot afford the 390 or 970 then the best choice on the new market would be the 380X, but there is still quite the leap from that to the aforementioned cards. I know you are hesitant against used for warranty reasons, but another option is hunting down a used aftermarket 290 as it is an under clocked 390 with 4GB, so there's not much performance difference.

Ifrit

If you cannot afford the 390 or 970 then the best choice on the new market would be the 380X, but there is still quite the leap from that to the aforementioned cards. I know you are hesitant against used for warranty reasons, but another option is hunting down a used aftermarket 290 as it is an under clocked 390 with 4GB, so there's not much performance difference.

So the 290 is better than the 380x? Weird numbering by AMD if that's the case

bomblord1

Banned
The 390 seems to expensive (+$100 of my budget), I found at a good price for a used gtx 970 at Amazon warehouse deals, but I'm afraid it doesn't come with warranty.

Interesting site, around my price range -$200- it seems the 270 is the best valued one.

Yea I would go with the 380X I'm currently sporting a non X 280 and it runs absolutely everything I throw at it great (most demanding game I've played is probably GTA5 at the preset settings I get a completely playable and smooth FPS)

So the 290 is better than the 380x? Weird numbering by AMD if that's the case

First number is the series and has no bearing on power (ex 300 series 200 series) second double set of numbers is best thought of as a measurement of power (ex 80 is better than 70) and then the X is a special version of a card usually running at a slightly higher clock.

I don't envy your position. A stop gap could be in the works, but most are somewhat trivial over a 7850 for the money.

A 380 should help a bit with the conversion. There's a Nvidia counter as well.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-380-vs-Radeon-HD-7850

A 960 also should the job atm. If you're looking for a stop-gap atm.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-380-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

Disclaimer: GPU BOSS sucks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Zotac Premium Edition 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99) (7970 should fit case when HDD bay is removed)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $559.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-17 15:56 EST-0500

Looking for some input on on a psu. The 7970 says a minimum of 500. Can I safely go with a EVGA 210-GQ-0650-V1 650W or be extra safe and do EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W or FSP Group Hydro G Series HG750 750W ?

Ifrit

Well there seems to be a pretty big gap between a 380x and a gtx 970. Can I trust Amazon warehouse deals for a used card? Anyone has any experience with it?

Ifrit

Google the vendor's warranty. My gigabyte warranty was awesome on transfer. Some aren't.

I googled MegaRetailStore which is the reseller but could find anything that informative really.

I think I'll just stick with my Radeon HD 7850 for the moment, at least until the GTX 970/R9 390 come down in price a little bit

Thanks everyone for all the advice

I googled MegaRetailStore which is the reseller but could find anything that informative really.

I think I'll just stick with my Radeon HD 7850 for the moment, at least until the GTX 970/R9 390 come down in price a little bit

I should've been more clear. I meant the card vendor. Some vendors are awesome with warranties. My gigabyte was one. It's cooler was shit, but it's warranty is awesome.

I can deal with the shitty tri-force cooler slapped on half-assed, if the former coin miner I bought has 2 years unconditional. It's warranty is till 4-17-17. I bought it over 12 months ago.

Edit: oops

valeo

Thanks everyone for all the advice

Exactly what I'm doing, though I've got a 7970. Still works okay with 90% of games.

mkenyon

Banned
As RGM says, there is no bulletproof setup for this. About as good as you can get is a framerate in the 40-60 range using a G-Sync 4K to smooth it out a bit.

I think 1440p @ 120/144Hz is the sweet spot right now for "ultra high end".

Maddanth

What games are you playing? Some lean heavier on the GPU or CPU when it comes to framerate, but the absolutely most demanding games cannot be maxed out at 4K and 60FPS at the moment, even on a twin GTX 980 Ti setup. HardOCP tested the strongest flagship graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia in SLI/crossfire and it still isn't enough.

See here as well, something like GTAV cannot be maxed out at 4K even on a monster setup with an i7 5960X overclocked to 4.0GHz and and *four* GTX 980 Ti cards running together.
Ok thank u, and that's crazy that a setup like that can't run GTA V maxed at 4K, that helps clarify things. I've noticed even with my setup at 1080p and everything maxed I drop down to like 45fps with certain games. I guess that depends how well optimized the game for PC as well? I've been having trouble with Tomb Raider to keep it stable 60fps with that setup and everything maxed, but I noticed in the ROTR forum that allot of people are having some issues with it. So it just depends on a game by game basis?
For the most part I do hold steady at 60fps or higher with everything maxed and 1080p

Maddanth

As RGM says, there is no bulletproof setup for this. About as good as you can get is a framerate in the 40-60 range using a G-Sync 4K to smooth it out a bit.

I think 1440p @ 120/144Hz is the sweet spot right now for "ultra high end".
Thank you. Ya it seems that way.

Alright folks, one way or another my CPU socket on my ASRock P67 Pro3 MoBo is mangled. I need a new motherboard, and I'm unfortunately quite low on funds.

Parts: GTX 960, i5 3570k, 2x4GB GSkill DDR3-1600, Need 4 SATA slots for Hard drives and optical drive, and my case currently needs 3-4 Chassis fan slots and 1-2 CPU fan slots.

The pickings seem really slim at this point, and I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Oh, I should mention I would rather not go with ASRock if possible. I've had 2 motherboards from them now and they both have given me endless grief.

Jamaro85

You are doing it the slow way.

Most 2600K can do 4.2-4.5GHz with a aftermarket cooler. Depending on your cooling setup, your best OC speed will depend on keeping your CPU under 80C temps and max 1.35V core voltage.

Using HWinfo to monitor, link in the OP:
1) Set your core voltage = 1.35V
2) Set speed to 4.2GHz. Stress test with Prime95.
3) If it passes the test and temps are fine, increase speed to 4.3GHz and retest. Keep on upping the speed by .1GHz until Prime fails due to not enough voltage and/or too high temps.
4) Once it fails, go .1GHz lower. Now, you work on finding the best core voltage for your speed. Start decreasing .010V and test. If it passes, keep on decreasing by .010V until Prime fails. Then, keep increasing by .005V and test for longer periods. Once it can pass for 3-4 hrs, it's about 99% stable.

Thank you for this. I haven't bought any components yet and was still on the fence about going with an overclock, and you've just completely removed the intimidation factor for me. I haven't messed with overclocking a machine since 2006 but feel a lot more comfortable about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom