• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Define 'boots up' please, does Windows (or whatever OS you use) load but you get no video signal? Do you get a clear POST beep and hard disk activity? Is the problem just that you get no video signal after changing monitors, or is the OS not loading at all?
The computer turns on but nothing loads up. No display on the new or old monitor. Nothing.

Well after some unfortunate financial hiccups I'll be waiting to upgrade for a little bit.

Guess the counter strike operation came at a good time. At least I can still run that at 200fps.

sfried

If it does hang over a RAM slot, I don't think you'll be able to fit anything in that slot unless it's super low profile (~30mm?). That page is in Russian, but they did test it on a socket 1150 motherboard. Not sure if it's possible to rotate the cooler so the side without the heatpipe is facing the RAM slot, and even then I'm not sure if that gives enough clearance. Some motherboards might place their RAM slots slightly further away.

giEoCRPl.jpg

The Zalman cooler is 60mm tall.. I know Corsair LPX RAM is 31mm tall. Can't quite eyeball it to see if it'll work, it's too close to call. Maybe you'll even have to consider RAM that don't come with heatspreaders.
I might end up getting the Kingston HyperX Savage 32GB DDR4 2400 then. Seems to be the same spec as the G-Skill, but lower profile. +$40~ more expensive though, so I might have to wait for some deals.

I'm now contemplating if I should snag that ASRock motherboard I mentioned earlier. Here's my list so far. (I'm putting a hold on the Silverstone SFX-L 500W and will wait for the Corsair SF600W to come out due to reliability concerns.)

Walpurgis

Banned
Barebone laptops that you could add parts to used to be a more common thing, but it's not as popular now and it does get quite expensive. Does that $400 include taxes?

I have managed to convince my sister to raise the price limit to $500, taxes included.

That feeling when youre a PC building virgin and your parts arrive and you can only stare at them and think youve made a terrible mistake lol.

I will prevail dammit.
I will be a slave to 30 fps gaming no more!

jdw_b

That feeling when youre a PC building virgin and your parts arrive and you can only stare at them and think youve made a terrible mistake lol.

I will prevail dammit.

Doo it

When my first build parts arrived I couldn't wait. Took me 2-3 hours to get it up and running

Midn1ght

So, I'm thinking of building a PC and planing on going with a combo i5-4690 and a Palit GTX970. Is that good for let's say, the next 2 years? I very rarely buy new game on release and plan to stick with 1080p. I also don't care about hairwork and that kind of stuff.

Also, the i5-6600 (Skylake) is around the same price where I live, should I go with it and therefor go with a compatible motherboard for future proofing ?

Thanks in advance.

I_D

The specs say 4 internal 3.5" bays and 4 3.5" external bays, so you have 8 bays for hdd's.

This was essentially my question. I wasn't sure what "(from 3.5" drive bays)" meant.

However, turns out my friend, purely by coincidence, just got the exact same case. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and see if it works.

Thanks for the help, guys.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Neweggs current Shell Shocker deal is an AOC 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide for $549.99 this is the cheapest I personally have ever seen a 3440x1440 34" Ultrawide

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P4_24-160-254-_-02182016

I cannot comment on the quality of the actual product but that is dang cheap.

Really leaning towards buying it does anyone have any opinions on it?

I think that's the one I have (can't imagine AOC make that many 34" 3440x1440 monitors). I like it a lot, gets bonus points for having a decently adjustable base - can go up and down and also swivel into an insane portrait monitor if you want. I also like the simple styling of it.

The only downside for me is that the ports are quite low down on the back, so you can get cables peeking out of the bottom if you have very stiff ones. Fairly minor point though.

Has multiple inputs and can even do picture-in-picture or picture-by-picture which I've used a few times to have my PSTV running at the same time as my PC

kubus

I've been on the fence about buying a GTX 970 or Radeon 390, but I just bumped into a possible issue that would make installing a 390 impossible maybe?

My motherboard is a MSI P67A-GD65 and it has two slots. The 390 apparently uses 3. Am I SOL? And is three slots going to be standard from now on?

bomblord1

Banned
I think that's the one I have (can't imagine AOC make that many 34" 3440x1440 monitors). I like it a lot, gets bonus points for having a decently adjustable base - can go up and down and also swivel into an insane portrait monitor if you want. I also like the simple styling of it.

The only downside for me is that the ports are quite low down on the back, so you can get cables peeking out of the bottom if you have very stiff ones. Fairly minor point though.

Has multiple inputs and can even do picture-in-picture or picture-by-picture which I've used a few times to have my PSTV running at the same time as my PC

Ah shit why didn't you tell me sooner xD it's back up to $750

There's already a thread for this on the main page but it might be worth posting here. HP i7-6700 + 980Ti for $1127

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Figured some might be interested in this. This is making the rounds on the VR subreddits. Coupon is PDS30DT.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1029657&quantity=1

kennah

I've been on the fence about buying a GTX 970 or Radeon 390, but I just bumped into a possible issue that would make installing a 390 impossible maybe?

My motherboard is a MSI P67A-GD65 and it has two slots. The 390 apparently uses 3. Am I SOL? And is three slots going to be standard from now on?
Case slots. Not motherboard slots. The video card only uses one pci express slot. But it takes up three of the spaces on the back of the case.

I will prevail dammit.

I was the same but found that it was actually pretty straight forward. Everything just slides, clips and screws into place. You shouldn't be applying much force to any of the parts. The only part I can think of is the CPU retention bracket so just be prepared for the sound of your motherboard creaking which is completely normal.

The most troublesome part for me was cable management. Probably spent most of the time doing that. If you're having any trouble during your build then just come back in here and we'll help you out!

Jirotrom

Right click desktop, select Screen Resolution, in the Display pulldown you should see 2 monitor options, not just the TV. If you see only one, try hitting Detect a couple of times to see if anything changes. If nothing works it's possible that your laptop LCD screen died.
I see 2 :( I guess led is dead

Rodin

A friend needs to change his motherboard and CPU and he has a 250€ budget. I suggested him to buy the the Asrock H97 Anniversary and the i5 4460 CPU, he should be able to use the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM (8GB) he had on his broken AMD build. Is there anything better he can buy with that budget?

Do you have any PCI-E slots available? In my experience, PCI-E wi-fi far outperforms USB.

I'm using an Asus PCE-AC68 and it's been stellar. Definitely above your price point though, but I'd almost lean towards a wireless N PCI-E solution over a USB wireless AC solution. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Thanks for your answer. Sadly i'm forced to stick with USB for a number of reasons, but it shouldn't be a huge problem considering i'm currently sitting on a 7mb connection and if i'm lucky i'll have a 50mb in a few weeks, which the Netgear adapter should handle perfectly. I ordered it, but i saved that amazing Asus PCI-E card in my wishlist in case i'll need it for another PC.

Didn't want to make a separate topic for this, this is just a general computer related question.

I have a coworker who uses a program called Idea. When she's in the office she uses 3 screens, when she's out at a client 2 screens. When she uses this program, it pops open a window that doesn't appear in the task manager or on the start bar. The problem is the window appears on the '3rd screen' that is no longer present. This is fixed in the office when she has the 3rd but it's annoying her. I've tried set the screens back to 1 even when 2 are plugged in to see if it can reset where the windows are but that doesn't help, as it's not on the start bar or task manager i can't select it to move it. Any ideas?

bomblord1

Banned
Didn't want to make a separate topic for this, this is just a general computer related question.

I have a coworker who uses a program called Idea. When she's in the office she uses 3 screens, when she's out at a client 2 screens. When she uses this program, it pops open a window that doesn't appear in the task manager or on the start bar. The problem is the window appears on the '3rd screen' that is no longer present. This is fixed in the office when she has the 3rd but it's annoying her. I've tried set the screens back to 1 even when 2 are plugged in to see if it can reset where the windows are but that doesn't help, as it's not on the start bar or task manager i can't select it to move it. Any ideas?

The program has to be in the task manager in some capacity. Is it Java based maybe look for Java instead of the program name.

Okay I really think it has something to do with this new monitor...I'm gonna see about getting it replaced. I hooked up the new monitor and the display came back on. I shut it down again to put the case back on and now the display isn't showing again.

Edit: I unplugged all the inputs to the monitor and re-plugged them and now the display is showing again..The monitor definitely has some faulty wiring.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€241.78 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.48 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€129.94 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€45.48 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€44.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.28 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€341.72 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€73.43 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €966.99

That's what I'm thinking of going with. I'm going to start buying pieces individually and then build it once I get them all. Does it look okay? Nothing I could save money on or improve on? Also I won't have a monitor for a week or two so I presume it's okay to hook it up to my TV for a bit?

luffeN

Can you alt-tab to the window/program? Then you can try Windows + left/right arrow key to bring it back.

mkenyon

Banned

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€36.48 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€129.94 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€45.48 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€44.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.28 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (€341.72 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€73.43 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €966.99

That's what I'm thinking of going with. I'm going to start buying pieces individually and then build it once I get them all. Does it look okay? Nothing I could save money on or improve on? Also I won't have a monitor for a week or two so I presume it's okay to hook it up to my TV for a bit?
Kept your price about the same, but this gives you much larger SSD.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€118.43 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Crucial BX200 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€131.10 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€322.93 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€69.43 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €965.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 18:58 CET+0100

Kept your price about the same, but this gives you much larger SSD.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€118.43 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€322.93 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€69.43 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €965.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 18:58 CET+0100

Thanks! I actually have a spare external 500GB HD that's USB 3.0 so I could use that for anything else I need to store right?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks! I actually have a spare external 500GB HD that's USB 3.0 so I could use that for anything else I need to store right?
Yep.

You could even take the HDD that's in the enclosure out of it, and plug it into your system using the internal SATA connectors.

RGM79

I have managed to convince my sister to raise the price limit to $500, taxes included.

Is your sister a post-secondary student? With valid student ID, the Microsoft Store (retail and online) offers education discounts. It's not that big of a discount, just 10% off the last time I checked, but they occasionally have good deals. Free returns and the ability to return online orders to the retail stores make them pretty nice to deal with in terms of customer service. Unfortunately it seems that all they currently have in the $400~500 price range right now are models with so-so Celeron processors.

Also, you may want to keep an eye on redflagdeals' hot deals forum for lower priced laptops. Check the latest posts here for Lenovo laptops with employee pricing discounts, and even consider refurbished laptops like this one. You won't find better specs for under $500, taxes included. They may be a few years old, but they have i5 processors, SSDs, and still run decently well considering that Intel has been making more advances in power savings than processor performance when it comes to the last couple of years of processor design.

Nearly completed my build last night. Just need to do some cable maintenance, install the capture card, and upgrade to Windows 10.

That feeling when you run the first test to see if the computer even boots up. Guess what, it doesn't. I had screwed up the power cable into the mobo. Felt like an idiot.

That feeling when you run the second test to see if the computer posts...and it does...then turns off immediately, and continues to cycle on and off in 2 second intervals for 10 minutes. Terror. Pretty much pure terror.

That feeling when you run the third test to see if your computer posts after googling what went wrong in try #2 (RAM wasn't inserted properly) and the computer boots, and stays on...and you check the bios and everything check out...holy hell its great.

Once cables are complete I will post pictures. Not that anyone really cares what my PC looks like but it will be documented until the end of the internets that I actually built something I don't truly understand how it works. Good times.

RGM79

So, I'm thinking of building a PC and planing on going with a combo i5-4690 and a Palit GTX970. Is that good for let's say, the next 2 years? I very rarely buy new game on release and plan to stick with 1080p. I also don't care about hairwork and that kind of stuff.

Also, the i5-6600 (Skylake) is around the same price where I live, should I go with it and therefor go with a compatible motherboard for future proofing ?

Thanks in advance.

If it's the same price (even considering the different socket 1151 motherboard and DDR4 RAM), then go for Skylake.

Water

I'm not sure what case that is, but I think you put in the hard drive backwards. The hard drive's ports should be facing the other direction?
You can't exactly say it's "backwards" - it's at a weird angle and wouldn't be even close to intended orientation even if you flipped it around. I initially installed it the other way, but the weird angle and straight SATA cables would not have allowed closing the case.

I've been advised it might be a bad idea to leave a mechanical drive at an angle like that, so maybe I'll jury-rig it in horizontal position matching the intent of the case design. Drive rack holds one end of the drive nicely so I just need to suspend the other end somehow. (Suggestions?) At that point the ports will obviously go the other way. I might have to pick up an angled connector SATA cable though.

RGM79

You can't exactly say it's "backwards" - it's at a weird angle and wouldn't be even close to intended orientation even if you flipped it around. I initially installed it the other way, but the weird angle and straight SATA cables would not have allowed closing the case.

I've been advised it might be a bad idea to leave a mechanical drive at an angle like that, so maybe I'll jury-rig it in horizontal position matching the intent of the case design. Drive rack holds one end of the drive nicely so I just need to suspend the other end somehow. (Suggestions?) At that point the ports will obviously go the other way. I might have to pick up an angled connector SATA cable though.

Sorry, I was unsure and wrong, that is why I phrased my response with a question mark at the end.

I had to check your post history to find out what case you had. In TechPowerUp's review, they mention tightening the 4 screws, sliding it into the drive rack, then using the red end bar to secure the drive in place. You didn't mention what issue you had mounting the drive, did the drive not fit in the drive rack? Were the mounts misaligned?

theRizzle

Ah cool thanks. Do you know if it will be fine to just use it via HDMI on my TV for a while?

I made my own tweaks to the build that mkenyon adjusted there for you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€241.68 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€107.90 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€321.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case (€51.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1005.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 20:27 CET+0100

I changed the motherboard and video card to a cheaper version, and changed the case as well. The case you had in there didn't have a vendor or price so I'm not sure if it's available online. (Or you just put it in because you already have it/will get it locally).

You'll notice there is a "compatibility" issue with this setup.

Graphics cards up to 380mm in length may be instaled. One or more 3.5" hard drives may interfere with side-mounted power connectors on graphics cards longer than 200 mm.

The GPU is 203mm long, but as long as you put your 500gb 3.5" hard drive into one of the slots that isn't near the GPU, you shouldn't have a problem. If you will only have your SSD and the one 500gb HDD you will have enough space to make it work. It will only become an issue if you start adding more 3.5" hard drives in there.

Water

Sorry, I was unsure and wrong, that is why I phrased my response with a question mark at the end.

I had to check your post history to find out what case you had. In TechPowerUp's review, they mention tightening the 4 screws, sliding it into the drive rack, then using the red end bar to secure the drive in place. You didn't mention what issue you had mounting the drive, did the drive not fit in the drive rack? Were the mounts misaligned?
Usually 3.5" drives have three pairs of screw holes along the length of the drive. The Cooltek W1 mounting mechanism specifically requires you to use the holes at the port end and the ones in the middle. But the HDD I went with is Seagate Archive 8TB. Turns out it doesn't have the usual middle holes since Seagate needed every bit of space to make everything fit. It never occurred to me this kind of incompatibility was possible, so I didn't check for it.

RGM79

Usually 3.5" drives have three pairs of screw holes along the length of the drive. The Cooltek W1 mounting mechanism specifically requires you to use the holes at the port end and the ones in the middle. But the HDD I went with is Seagate Archive 8TB. Turns out it doesn't have the usual middle holes since Seagate needed every bit of space to make everything fit. It never occurred to me this kind of incompatibility was possible, so I didn't check for it.

Ah, that's unfortunate.
is Type-C and USB 3.1 a must have? Does anyone have experience with those type of peripherals?

Both of those are still quite new, so there aren't a lot of devices that support that yet as a lot of projected devices are still being designed and manufactured. Also, adoption is a little bit slow and troubled, but I expect them to figure out how to get their heads out of their asses about it sooner or later. It's mostly going to be storage devices like external hard drives and USB flash drives that will benefit the most from USB 3.1's higher speeds. Smartphones with USB type C are beginning to appear as well, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom