• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaxh

Yikes. Euro prices are rough.

Looking through kuantokusta.pt, I don't think I see any cheap ones to recommend. Even the NZXT X41 and Corsair H80i GT are 100€ and up, and I'd rather recommend air coolers than go with those. The Noctua NH-D15 is cheaper and better performing at just under 90€.

Yeah, European prices are usually higher and here in Portugal everything that is not "mainstream" is really expensive because they need to buy it elsewhere first. There's only one store selling the Phanteks Entoo Evolv and it's for 205€! Cheapest 980ti is 715€.

I guess I'll stick with the Hyper 212 Evo for now, get the H440 and keep the rig as it is until I upgrade to a new socket.

Okay! It was a tight squeeze but I actually managed to get the USB cable connected to the motherboard. I also took out the power supply to make it easier to connect the front panel pins, which I just did. This is actually the most progress I've made all day haha.

Now I have several cables I'm not sure what to do with-- the case I have has one large fan in the rear and two small ones in the front, and I'm not sure what to do with those cables. I see on the motherboard diagram places for CPU fan, but there's several cables and it doesn't seem to match up.

Probably just end of the line for your 670.

I just checked and it looks like it's still under Warranty (3years, bought it June 2013)
How are Asus with honouring warranties? does this seem like something that would fit within the warranty conditions? I'll try calling them on Monday I guess.
I could try through the Retailer but they're in another state and don't cover the cost of returns.

sLtuImI.jpg

Photography could help! These are the fan cables I'm having trouble with figuring out. The white-ended ones are coming from the two front fans respectively, there is another not pictured that is connected to the rear fan, and the other cables are coming from the fan control panel on the back.

I'm not sure if these are supposed to go in the motherboard, PSU, or what.

edit: oh you've gotta be shitting me, those three white ends will connect to the three other ones so I'm guessing that they're specifically for the fan control on the back. Wow. Still not too sure about the larger one. If that's the case, do the fans need to be connected to anything at all, seeing as there's no more cables apart from those?

I wanted to ask for some input about gaming monitors - figured this might be the best place to ask. I had to leave my PC behind as I moved to another country, and only had room to bring my Xbox One. I was wondering if anyone would recommend the BenQ RL2455HM - its the MLG gaming monitor, which seems to have very solid reviews. Is it worth it, or are there better/cheaper alternatives (figure I wouldn't want to spend more than what that monitor goes for). It'll also double as a secondary monitor to hook up to my macbook.

Photography could help! These are the fan cables I'm having trouble with figuring out. The white-ended ones are coming from the two front fans respectively, there is another not pictured that is connected to the rear fan, and the other cables are coming from the fan control panel on the back.

I'm not sure if these are supposed to go in the motherboard, PSU, or what.

edit: oh you've gotta be shitting me, those three white ends will connect to the three other ones so I'm guessing that they're specifically for the fan control on the back. Wow. Still not too sure about the larger one. If that's the case, do the fans need to be connected to anything at all, seeing as there's no more cables apart from those?

The small connectors should be connected either to a fan header on the motherboard or onto a fan controller on the case, while the big connectors should be hooked to a cable coming from the power supply.

The small connectors should be connected either to a fan header on the motherboard or onto a fan controller on the case, while the big connectors should be hooked to a cable coming from the power supply.

Yeah the three white ends all connect to three cables coming from the fan controller, but there's the bigger one that as you said connects to the PSU. I'm... currently trying to figure out how to do that haha. I know how it needs to be done, just looking for the right connectors.

I just checked and it looks like it's still under Warranty (3years, bought it June 2013)
How are Asus with honouring warranties? does this seem like something that would fit within the warranty conditions? I'll try calling them on Monday I guess.
I could try through the Retailer but they're in another state and don't cover the cost of returns.
Oh nice, definitely RMA it then.

This seems to be winding down, don't think there's much else left to do aside from connecting the GPU to the power supply. I connected the large power supply connector to the motherboard and there are still two cables coming from it; I know these go to the GPU but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use both of them or not.

inner-G

Banned

Gurrry

I don't know anything about the brand but i7 6700/8GB/970 are pretty decent specs for general gaming.

What do you think of the 970? Is that super out of date? I havent been keeping up with gfx cards lately.

But yea, when i saw the specs it made me do a double take considering most bestbuy pcs are garbage. The case it comes with makes it super easy to upgrade too.

Any other opinions?

What do you think of the 970? Is that super out of date? I havent been keeping up with gfx cards lately.

But yea, when i saw the specs it made me do a double take considering most bestbuy pcs are garbage. The case it comes with makes it super easy to upgrade too.

Any other opinions?

970 is a really good card right now (despite the 3.5GB nonsense), and, while it'll be obsoleted by Pascal/Polaris in a few months, you'll probably still get a good couple of years out of it.

Gurrry

970 is a really good card right now (despite the 3.5GB nonsense), and, while it'll be obsoleted by Pascal/Polaris in a few months, you'll probably still get a good couple of years out of it.

Nice. Thats what i like to hear! Thanks for the input.

Ive been looking more into it and i saw somewhere that its "VR ready". Could these specs really handle VR?

Picture? Just interested in how it looks if you don't mind. If you can't that's okay.

Sure! I was just showing a friend too so was already in the process :p Here's both one of the SATA cable plugged in and one with just the power supply sitting in it.

It may look like it could fit with a tight squeeze, but I've applied all the Herculean effort I can to try and make it fit in there. I've bent the sata cable as far in as it'll go but the PSU simply will not go in there with it attached.

edit: AS IT TURNS OUT I have a sata cable with a different shape that may actually fit in there. Just... don't mind me.

EDIT 2: that's a no-go as well.

RGM79

Sure! I was just showing a friend too so was already in the process :p Here's both one of the SATA cable plugged in and one with just the power supply sitting in it.

It may look like it could fit with a tight squeeze, but I've applied all the Herculean effort I can to try and make it fit in there. I've bent the sata cable as far in as it'll go but the PSU simply will not go in there with it attached.

edit: AS IT TURNS OUT I have a sata cable with a different shape that may actually fit in there. Just... don't mind me.

There are two SATA ports on the motherboard facing directly up that you should be able to use.

bjSQ7ZQ.jpg

RGM79

Holy shit. Yeah. I've seen those now that you mention it. I just didn't know what I was looking at before. Thanks again.

Yeah, it's weird. Motherboards that small should ideally have most, if not all of the SATA connectors facing upwards, it just makes it easier because usually these motherboards are going into fairly small and cramped cases. Not much point in making the connectors point outward rather than upward.

I blame the designers wanting to keep the weird port layout.

Yeah, it's weird. Motherboards that small should ideally have most, if not all of the SATA connectors facing upwards, it just makes it easier because usually these motherboards are going into fairly small and cramped cases. Not much point in making the connectors point outward rather than upward.

I was thinking, why the hell aren't there any facing up, but as soon as I saw that picture I remembered where they were. First time doing this and those aren't noted in the manual, at least not in the diagram I've been looking at in the manual. Oh well, crisis averted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This seems to be winding down, don't think there's much else left to do aside from connecting the GPU to the power supply. I connected the large power supply connector to the motherboard and there are still two cables coming from it; I know these go to the GPU but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use both of them or not.

Got a pic of the GPU power sockets? Logic should get you through that one.

I've been eyeing a 1440p/144hz g-sync monitor. I only have a GTX 970. If I get this monitor would it be able to render at 1440p decently? I will eventually pick up a pascal card when Nvidia decides to release them.

Many thanks!

Vuze

I've been eyeing a 1440p/144hz g-sync monitor. I only have a GTX 970. If I get this monitor would it be able to render at 1440p decently? I will eventually pick up a pascal card when Nvidia decides to release them.

Many thanks!
I have a 970 and 1440p/144hz Gsync monitor and it could certainly use more GPU horse power. The card is especially struggling at keeping up at that resolution with more recent, graphically demanding games like RotR or Arkham Knight. You'll have to live with ~45fps as a base if you want to keep high settings. It's not too bad really, Gsync helps alot by eliminating tearing and stuttering but still. Older games are super amazing though, 80fps+ is a smoothness to behold (if you haven't experienced it yet). Also, ULMB is great if you play CSGO or other shooters at 120fps.

I can't wait for Pascal, I'll be happy to throw my money at them if the new cards deliver :)

Many thanks!

Depends on what games you play. I also have a 970 and 1440p/144hz and it is perfectly fine for now, but I don't play the latest games generally.

Kudo

Asked this few pages back and got little derailed so asking again:
Is it good idea to hunt for i7-970/980 for my parents computer or should I just get them new CPU/MB/RAM ?
Current is i7-920 oc'd to 3.8Ghz and it needs more CPU power, one core seems to hit 100C too in load so it's throttling. What would the cheapest choice and give more performance?

Asked this few pages back and got little derailed so asking again:
Is it good idea to hunt for i7-970/980 for my parents computer or should I just get them new CPU/MB/RAM ?
Current is i7-920 oc'd to 3.8Ghz and it needs more CPU power, one core seems to hit 100C too in load so it's throttling. What would the cheapest choice and give more performance?

Cheapest would be to replace the thermal paste and/or get an aftermarket cooler. :p

Kudo

Then there is no way you are getting 100C. Something is wrong, check the paste and if the cooler is installed correctly.

Wonder if there is dust or something blocking airflow, will check it out.
Is i7-920 @3.8Ghz how big bottleneck for current high-end GPUs? Should I just try to get the temps down and prolong that CPU's life?

Wonder if there is dust or something blocking airflow, will check it out.
Is i7-920 @3.8Ghz how big bottleneck for current high-end GPUs? Should I just try to get the temps down and prolong that CPU's life?

It surely is a bottleneck in some games but I still think you should do ok for a bit more if you aren't that bothered with some dips from 60fps in cpu heavy games. Most of the games should run fine though. The only solution would be a complete upgrade to a current mobo+cpu+ddr4 so that depends on your budget.

Kudo

Your parents need a high-end GPU?

They don't "need", already have 970 SLI.

It surely is a bottleneck in some games but I still think you should do ok for a bit more if you aren't that bothered with some dips from 60fps in cpu heavy games. Most of the games should run fine though. The only solution would be a complete upgrade to a current mobo+cpu+ddr4 so that depends on your budget.

Gaming on 5760x1080, maybe I should just get them some new setup that's a upgrade and I could make sure cooler is installed correctly etc. if I build it myself for them. Wouldn't need to OC it either at least right away..

They don't "need", already have 970 SLI.

Gaming on 5760x1080, maybe I should just get them some new setup that's a upgrade and I could make sure cooler is installed correctly etc. if I build it myself for them. Wouldn't need to OC it either at least right away..

If they're on 970 SLI they would probably benefit from a more modern CPU.

Kudo

If they're on 970 SLI they would probably benefit from a more modern CPU.

Alright.
I guess I should aim for Skylake setup for them too, or if I can grab something little older from friend with good price, i5-3570k should be decent upgrade and overclockable too right?
Thanks for the help all.

Alright.
I guess I should aim for Skylake setup for them too, or if I can grab something little older from friend with good price, i5-3570k should be decent upgrade and overclockable too right?
Thanks for the help all.

How much for the 3570k? Does it come with a motherboard and ram?

Got a pic of the GPU power sockets? Logic should get you through that one.

That was indeed easy, I just literally went in not knowing which cables were for what and there were loads of them. In hindsight? Simple.

Got it running this morning too. Haven't put it through any heavy lifting but everything seems to be completely normal. The fans are creating a very nice and cool airflow through the inside, the lights are on, it runs very quiet, and I got through the BIOS/Windows setup no problem.

Downloading stuff on Steam now to get my first taste of why I went through all of that lol. Thanks again to everyone, made that process much easier than it would've been otherwise.

Are there any recommended things I should be downloading?

Limality

Banned
I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, cpu (i5 6600k) and 32GB of DDR4-2133 RAM. Paired with a GTX Titan Black from my old build, I should still be able to play any future games at medium to high at 1080p/60fps.

I've been thinking about getting a 980ti or should I wait a couple of months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom