• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I'm torn. My current rig (i5 4670, 8gb ram, 850w psu with 2x 8 pcie so I'm covered there) is still rocking my old 560ti 1gb card and I've been right on the edge of pulling the trigger on a 970 ($300 USD with Division key) but over the past month I've seen these early benchmarks popping up showing the 970 (nvidia in general) just getting destroyed in Ashes of the Singularity, Doom, and amd showing a decent performance lead in The Division.

Being on a budget I was kind of hoping that I'd get at least 2 years out my next card rockin 1080p/60/high in most games but I'm starting to get the feeling that might not be the case. I really want to dive into The Division at launch with some friends so I'm wondering if I might see more longevity with a R9 390. Just not a fan of going AMD as I've had driver issues in the past with their cards.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Seems like people always struggle with the hyper 212 install. So after 100s of applications here's my tips

Install the cooler outside the case
The stubbed screws that pass through the board and rear bracket are keyed, a flat edge must be aligned with the hole in the bracket.

Get the collapsible X bracket and check it aligns correctly over the mount screws.

Before mounting the Heatsink, get the collapsible Cross bracket and put it through the Heatsink, and then expand it. Note that the bracket has a pin that slots into notch in the cooler.

Now mount the Heatsink and screw it in. This prevents you fumbling with that X bracket after mounting the Heatsink so you don't mess up the paste.

It's a 5 minute job really, maybe I'll make a video if anyone is interested for our thread.

I'd just add that when mounting the X-bracket, just alternate opposite screws a turn or two at a time. Job is far more difficult if you fully screw the ends in individually. Just twist once or twice to ensure each screw is in contact and held in place before doing any tightening on any of the four.

But yea, the fiddly way the X-bracket seats on the big heat sink can be difficult to work with that first time, but it becomes fast and simple on future changes once you forego that urge to fully secure each screw one at a time.

low-G

Seems like people always struggle with the hyper 212 install. So after 100s of applications here's my tips

Install the cooler outside the case
The stubbed screws that pass through the board and rear bracket are keyed, a flat edge must be aligned with the hole in the bracket.

Get the collapsible X bracket and check it aligns correctly over the mount screws.

Before mounting the Heatsink, get the collapsible Cross bracket and put it through the Heatsink, and then expand it. Note that the bracket has a pin that slots into notch in the cooler.

Now mount the Heatsink and screw it in. This prevents you fumbling with that X bracket after mounting the Heatsink so you don't mess up the paste.

It's a 5 minute job really, maybe I'll make a video if anyone is interested for our thread.

I had to uninstall and reinstall a 212 so many times I stripped the screws (not misuse, sheer number of times). Tips are good, but I don't think there's really an excuse for how poor an experience the 212 is to install, comparing to a Noctra, for example.

Samus4145

Anyone know a direct download to Fan Xpert 3 for Win 10 64 bit?

I just installed a Asus Z170-A and it lists it on the product page on the Asus site, but it is missing from the Utilities page for downloads.

Ugh I'm torn. My current rig (i5 4670, 8gb ram, 850w psu with 2x 8 pcie so I'm covered there) is still rocking my old 560ti 1gb card and I've been right on the edge of pulling the trigger on a 970 ($300 USD with Division key) but over the past month I've seen these early benchmarks popping up showing the 970 (nvidia in general) just getting destroyed in Ashes of the Singularity, Doom, and amd showing a decent performance lead in The Division.

Being on a budget I was kind of hoping that I'd get at least 2 years out my next card rockin 1080p/60/high in most games but I'm starting to get the feeling that might not be the case. I really want to dive into The Division at launch with some friends so I'm wondering if I might see more longevity with a R9 390. Just not a fan of going AMD as I've had driver issues in the past with their cards.

AMD's current lines are better positioned for the future with DX12 if you can't wait. But you're so close to Polaris this summer and Pascal this fall if you can hold off a little longer.

If not I'd recommend the 390/390x.

LilJoka

I had to uninstall and reinstall a 212 so many times I stripped the screws (not misuse, sheer number of times). Tips are good, but I don't think there's really an excuse for how poor an experience the 212 is to install, comparing to a Noctra, for example.

Its a fraction of the price of the Noctua though lol.

And as poster above said, all you should do is turn each screw once to get them all gripped by the threads. Then do a crossover pattern a few turns on each screw to tighten to the end.

Looks like my 980Ti STRIX OC may be RIP after 5-6 months. Now I'm considering whether to pick up another STRIX or go with a MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G (which has glowing reviews all around like the STRIX) instead while I attempt a RMA (been reading a lot of horror stories regarding ASUS in that regard).

RGM79

Will fit in a bitfenix prodigy?

I love my water cooling but the constant pump noise can be annoying when the room is quiet. Having tried to make the rest of the computer quiet just amplifies it (quiet case fans, PSU with passive cooling at low load, GPU with passive cooling at low temps)

I assume you mean the mITX version. It will fit, it's just a tight squeeze as you can see here and here. Seems like things to worry about clearance for are if you have fans at the top of the case, taller than usual RAM, and DVD drives. If you won't be doing any overclocking, the NH-D15 is overkill. There are other smaller Noctua air cooler models you can try.

Flaxh

The P400 and P400S look nice, but the Define R4 is still a decent case. I dunno if you're hoping to get even better temperatures or not, but you probably won't get even lower than you're getting now.

Corsair H100 is kinda old, did you mean the the newer Corsair H1__ GT or GTX models? When it comes to CPU cooler I tend to recommend air coolers rather than water coolers, but that's just me. A more expensive water cooler would allow you to overclock higher (don't recall if you're already overclocking) but if you aren't overclocking, there's not much point.

The thing with the Define R4 is that its safe design is starting to show its age in my opinion. Seeing as the case still has a decent value, I'm looking at options like the P400S and the H440 that look more modern and may offer some improvements over a 2012's case. It's not that I'm not satisfied with the performance but I see this as more of a aesthetic upgrade it that makes any sense to you.

After all my drama with high temperatures I started looking for ways to get the PC parts running cooler and read some things about watercoolers but I see you prefer air coolers. The 212 EVO is so big and so hard to install though!

Now that I started gaming a lot more on PC and upgraded to the GTX 970 I've been reading about overclocking which is something I have little to no experience with and yesterday I tried overclocking the GPU without chaning voltages and had interesting gains in TW3, Steam VR Test and 3DMark. I'll try OCing the CPU next week probably using this guide I found: http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide/

LvYfXuq.jpg

Ran into a problem; the fan is just barely blocking the memory sockets. I put a stick in closest to the fan, and while it goes in, the fan is pushing it ever so slightly. I tried to push the fan back a bit but that didn't work either. Is the fan even on right, because surely that shouldn't be an issue, but the arrow on top of the fan is pointing toward the back of the case.

It doesn't look like it's blocking it the picture, but it does. Should the fan be turned sideways?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I assume you mean the mITX version. It will fit, it's just a tight squeeze as you can see here and here. Seems like things to worry about clearance for are if you have fans at the top of the case, taller than usual RAM, and DVD drives. If you won't be doing any overclocking, the NH-D15 is overkill. There are other smaller Noctua air cooler models you can try.

I mainly want quiet. Currently only running a 3570k at 4GHz (limit of my motherboard) so for now maybe that is too much? Would be replacing a corsair H60

Brandonh83 - not sure it'll work or be as efficient - but could you put the fan on the back and just pull the air through the cooler? Arrow would still need to point towards back of case.

RGM79

The thing with the Define R4 is that its safe design is starting to show its age in my opinion. Seeing as the case still has a decent value, I'm looking at options like the P400S and the H440 that look more modern and may offer some improvements over a 2012's case. It's not that I'm not satisfied with the performance but I see this as more of a aesthetic upgrade it that makes any sense to you.

After all my drama with high temperatures I started looking for ways to get the PC parts running cooler and read some things about watercoolers but I see you prefer air coolers. The 212 EVO is so big and so hard to install though!

Now that I started gaming a lot more on PC and upgraded to the GTX 970 I've been reading about overclocking which is something I have little to no experience with and yesterday I tried overclocking the GPU without chaning voltages and had interesting gains in TW3, Steam VR Test and 3DMark. I'll try OCing the CPU next week probably using this guide I found: http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide/

I can understand that about the case, aesthetics are subjective after all. The 212 Evo is based on a years old design, so the mounting system isn't as user friendly as other newer models. There are other CPU coolers both large and small that have easier mounting systems than the 212 Evo's X bracket that don't require as much force or screw-handling. That said, it does work, so it's not all bad to me.

Ran into a problem; the fan is just barely blocking the memory sockets. I put a stick in closest to the fan, and while it goes in, the fan is pushing it ever so slightly. I tried to push the fan back a bit but that didn't work either. Is the fan even on right, because surely that shouldn't be an issue, but the arrow on top of the fan is pointing toward the back of the case.

It doesn't look like it's blocking it the picture, but it does. Should the fan be turned sideways?

The fan is held on by plastic clips that grip the CPU cooler's metal fins. You can slide or unclip then reclip the fan higher up to allow RAM to properly fit underneath.

I mainly want quiet. Currently only running a 3570k at 4GHz (limit of my motherboard) so for now maybe that is too much? Would be replacing a corsair H60

Brandonh83 - not sure it'll work or be as efficient - but could you put the fan on the back and just pull the air through the cooler? Arrow would still need to point towards back of case.

I see, 4.0GHz isn't too high, but I guess it'll depend on what voltage you're running the CPU at. There are slightly smaller Noctua coolers that will do just fine like the NH-U12S.

I'd recommend just moving the fan higher as opposed to mounting the fan on the other side of the heatsink. Temperatures will be better having the fan blow air on the heatsink fins rather than trying to pull air through.

paskowitz

Like I said in this post, with a help of a friend I disassembled the rig and cleaned a bit more. We applied a new thermal paste and now the temps dropped even further from 26-29ºC when using just Chrome+Discord from the original 45!! It's probably a combination of new thermal plaste, all the cleaning and the improved airflow. After helping me choose the parts when I first bought the rig, you guys helped me a lot again and I can't thank you enough!

I also decided to swap my GTX 770 for a 970 instead of waiting for Pascal and I have to say that I should have done this before as the jump is performance for such a low cost (~150€ + the division key) is outstanding! From 2.5 to 7.5 in the Steam VR Test and from 6.5 to 9.5 in the 3DMark one.

My build now is:

i5 3570k
asus p8z77v-lk
gskill 2x 8gb 2400MHz CL11
msi g1 gtx 970
xfx 650w
fractal r4
hyper 212 evo
crucial mx100 250gb
WD 1TB blue

I'm thinking about further improvements now that I have some extra € to spend (100/200€) and I've been thinking about getting a Phanteks P400S which seems really good for the price and maybe a Corsair H100 cooler instead of the hyper 212. What do you suggest?

Thanks for the tip once again! Did just that

I have a Define R4 and it is starting to show is age. Especially, in terms of water cooling. Get the Define S. Bigger window, easier to cable manage and overall better layout for future expansions.

Windam

Scaley member
Good temps and you are definitely safe.

Try lowering to 1.18~1.2v vcore. Mine is able to run 4.3core/3.9cache using only 1.18v (1.168v under load with default LLC).

Try stress testing with Asus Realbench and X264 loop, which can be found in this thread
http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Lowered to 1.2v and 17 mins into AIDA64, a hardware failure was detected and the test was automatically cancelled.

Edit: 26.5 mins into AIDA64 at 1.22v and no issues, but I also didn't test system memory this time. Gonna lower back to 1.2 and try again.

The fan is held on by plastic clips that grip the CPU cooler's metal fins. You can slide or unclip then reclip the fan higher up to allow RAM to properly fit underneath.

So it doesn't matter if the fan covers the entirety of the metal part. Nice. Thanks!

RGM79

So it doesn't matter if the fan covers the entirety of the metal part. Nice. Thanks!

Ideally it'd be better if it was mounted perfectly to blow 100% at the metal fins, but shifting it slightly up won't change temperatures that much. Maybe a very slight increase, depending on whatever you're doing with the PC.

Ideally it'd be better if it was mounted perfectly to blow 100% at the metal fins, but shifting it slightly up won't change temperatures that much. Maybe a very slight increase, depending on whatever you're doing with the PC.

It actually looks like I can lower it some more after I stuck the memory in so I'll do that.

So, what's the consensus on the best RAM overclock to accompany a 2500K?

I have 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical at 1600MHz. What frequency, voltage, timings, etc, should I be aiming for?

Flaxh

I can understand that about the case, aesthetics are subjective after all. The 212 Evo is based on a years old design, so the mounting system isn't as user friendly as other newer models. There are other CPU coolers both large and small that have easier mounting systems than the 212 Evo's X bracket that don't require as much force or screw-handling. That said, it does work, so it's not all bad to me.

I have a Define R4 and it is starting to show is age. Especially, in terms of water cooling. Get the Define S. Bigger window, easier to cable manage and overall better layout for future expansions.

Yeah, I'll probably list mine for sale this week and then buy the H440 which is almost 35€ cheaper than the Define S. :/ I really like the Phanteks Evolv but it costs almost 185€.

RGM79, is there a cheap (100€ or less) watercooling system that you recommend?

AcridMeat

Banned

Almost the exact situation as myself, though I have a 4770k. The Division looked like hot garbage when I tried the beta, and I know a couple friends who will be jumping in at launch. I saw the same EVGA deal on newegg.

Do we know how much the new cards will be? Because $300 is about the limit I'm willing to spend on a new card, and that's because of the game being included. The other reason I want the upgrade is that I really want a second monitor now as well.

edit: Or maybe it would be worth it to get something like a 950 as a stop gap card just for The Division then buy a new one next year when we get the TIs.

Windam

Scaley member
4.3Ghz at 1.2v really does not want to happen on my system. Just got a clock_watchdog_timeout error and my PC restarted 14 mins into AIDA64. Back to 1.22 or maybe even 1.25v to be safe.

Edit: Temps 30mins in AIDA64 at 1.22v. Guess I'll stop here.

SGhG6Tz.png

holygeesus

Banned

Is the fan pointing in the same direction as the output fan at the top of your case? You should be blowing the warm air of your CPU towards this case exhaust fan ideally.

Edit - unless I'm going mad it looks the wrong way round in that photo.

Is the fan pointing in the same direction as the output fan at the top of your case? You should be blowing the warm air of your CPU towards this case exhaust fan ideally.

Edit - unless I'm going mad it looks the wrong way round in that photo.

Hm7btfn.jpg

The arrows are doing this on top of the fan. The arrow in the center is pointing toward the rear.

kennah

Almost the exact situation as myself, though I have a 4770k. The Division looked like hot garbage when I tried the beta, and I know a couple friends who will be jumping in at launch. I saw the same EVGA deal on newegg.

Do we know how much the new cards will be? Because $300 is about the limit I'm willing to spend on a new card, and that's because of the game being included. The other reason I want the upgrade is that I really want a second monitor now as well.

edit: Or maybe it would be worth it to get something like a 950 as a stop gap card just for The Division then buy a new one next year when we get the TIs.
I'm pretty sure the game is only included with 970 and up

holygeesus

Banned
Hm7btfn.jpg

The arrows are doing this on top of the fan. The arrow in the center is pointing toward the rear.

Cool, must have been an optical illusion or something. I'm useless with fans so I just make sure the fan is the same direction as the back fan (i.e. the white one in your pic) so I know the warm air is going in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure the game is only included with 970 and up

Yeah as far as I can tell from the nvidia and amazon pages its 970 and up. Thats the other snag with switch to a R9 390 in my purchase decision its another $60 for the game if I go AMD. The Division hits soon, Overwatch in June, WoW: Legion mid summer. A lot coming very soon to play. I may just suck it up with the 970 and hope I get at least a year and a half out of it. When you consider the game its a $240 card now so if I get a year and a half or so out of it, it works out to about $10 a month. Makes it easier to swallow if it ends up aging poorly.

paskowitz

Yeah, I'll probably list mine for sale this week and then buy the H440 which is almost 35€ cheaper than the Define S. :/ I really like the Phanteks Evolv but it costs almost 185€.

Yikes. Euro prices are rough.

RGM79

Looking through kuantokusta.pt, I don't think I see any cheap ones to recommend. Even the NZXT X41 and Corsair H80i GT are 100€ and up, and I'd rather recommend air coolers than go with those. The Noctua NH-D15 is cheaper and better performing at just under 90€.

Hikami

Excuse the crappy phone quality images

Thanks for helping me pick out the parts earlier in the thread, couldn't have done it without you guys.
It wasn't as hard as I thought.. besides the cables that are all over the place. Still need to zip tie those and add the HDD cage back in with the rest of my HDDs. Maybe add some LEDs.

I was shocked when I ran my first game. Kept bumping up the settings since I kept getting 60fps and was like "Huh..? The settings won't go any higher and I'm still at 60fps??" Such a good feeling.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you're keeping a PC under a desk, is there a recommended amount of free space to keep above it for good airflow? I have a bitfenix prodigy at the moment but would be interesting to know if I could go a little taller to give me more choice in cases and motherboards etc

What kind of gaming performance can I get out of an i7-6700K while waiting for a new GPU to arrive? Would mainly be playing FFXIV on a 21:9/3440x1440 display.

Can someone tell me if I've killed my Graphics card?
I Built a new pc a couple of weeks ago minus graphics card (waiting till Pascal) and I've been using my old 670 in the new machine. Played through a couple of not so intensive games since building with no problems (Life is Strange, Ori)
I started playing MGSV last night for a few hours, again no problems. Fast forward to this morning and I start playing again, about 45 minutes in the screen goes blank and the GPU's fans start spinning at full speed.
After restarting, shutting down, Reseating the card and trying the other PCI slot and other VGA sockets in the PSU I still can't get the PC to detect the video card, despite the lights on the card working and the fans spinning at full speed.
It's definitely the Video card itself because I tried my decade old 6950 and that works fine, I also put the 670 in another pc and yep, no video, fans full speed and the motherboard beeps to tell me no VGA detected.

Anything I can do or is my 670 completely fucked?
The wait for Pascal just got a whole lot longer :(

Can someone tell me if I've killed my Graphics card?
I Built a new pc a couple of weeks ago minus graphics card (waiting till Pascal) and I've been using my old 670 in the new machine. Played through a couple of not so intensive games since building with no problems (Life is Strange, Ori)
I started playing MGSV last night for a few hours, again no problems. Fast forward to this morning and I start playing again, about 45 minutes in the screen goes blank and the GPU's fans start spinning at full speed.
After restarting, shutting down, Reseating the card and trying the other PCI slot and other VGA sockets in the PSU I still can't get the PC to detect the video card, despite the lights on the card working and the fans spinning at full speed.
It's definitely the Video card itself because I tried my decade old 6950 and that works fine, I also put the 670 in another pc and yep, no video, fans full speed and the motherboard beeps to tell me no VGA detected.

Anything I can do or is my 670 completely fucked?
The wait for Pascal just got a whole lot longer :(

Sounds like it's done. Long shot, but when you put it in the other PC were you reusing the same PSU by chance?

joecanada

So I pulled the plug on this one from newegg... cost me about 659 which is about 500 USD, which seemed okay, mostly a computer for school and some light gaming....

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230097

my gf needs it for school so she was understandably somewhat put off by the look of it, but I was mostly interested in the CPU and motherboard, and it was better than some similar deals I was looking at (i5 4460 for about 799).

here is a basic spec for those who don't want to click the link...

Brand
CyberpowerPC
Model
Gamer Xtreme S100
Part Number
GXS100

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz
6 MB L3 Cache
Memory
4 GB DDR4
Storage
1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM

NVIDIA Geforce GT 720 1 GB

Power Supply
350W
Case
CYBERPOWERPC X-Titan Windowed Black Gaming Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Motherboard
Chipset
Intel H110

Memory Capacity
4 GB DDR4
Memory Spec
4 GB x 1
Memory Slot (Total)
Maximum Memory Supported
32 GB

Audio
Audio Features
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Expansion
PCI Slots (Available/Total)
1 PCI-E x16 (not available)
2 PCI-E x1 (2 available)

.........anyway I have the following questions...

1. for school, multitask, light gaming, should I upgrade that RAM right away? and what type is it? I tried to look this pc up on a site but couldn't find the actual brand??

2. how bad is the gpu or is it serviceable for say light gaming (my gf asked if it would run the Sims lol, I assured her it would).

3. Edit - oh of course any other advice is always welcome here, great help this community in knowing absolutely anything....

WITNESS it in all its glory!! (lol I don't mind the look but just think my gf reaction was priceless)

H35J1oU.jpg

Sounds like it's done. Long shot, but when you put it in the other PC were you reusing the same PSU by chance?

Nope, Different PSU :(
I didn't look at the cards temps this morning but I did last night and it was around mid 70s while playing, didn't think that was too bad.
I really liked that damn card :(

I don't know much about this stuff so sorry if this sounds stupid but is there any chance the PSU fried the card? I've had it for like 3 years and never had any problems, whereas I've only had the psu for 2 weeks.

I've got the motherboard, cooler, and PSU in (no cables really connected yet) and I'm starting on connecting the front panel cables like the lights, audio, and whatnot. Anyway, seems like the USB 3.0 cable slot is being compromised by the CPU cooler (the CPU cooler has been the brunt of like 98% of my problems so far lol)

I also have no freaking clue where to put most of these cables, but I'll take it one thing at a time.

Sky Chief

I've got the motherboard, cooler, and PSU in (no cables really connected yet) and I'm starting on connecting the front panel cables like the lights, audio, and whatnot. Anyway, seems like the USB 3.0 cable slot is being compromised by the CPU cooler (the CPU cooler has been the brunt of like 98% of my problems so far lol)

I also have no freaking clue where to put most of these cables, but I'll take it one thing at a time.

This is why I said earlier that air cooling sucks. Until I went to AIO water cooling the CPU cooler was always the most troublesome part of any build. Big heat syncs are nothing but a huge pain in the ass.

Nope, Different PSU :(
I didn't look at the cards temps this morning but I did last night and it was around mid 70s while playing, didn't think that was too bad.
I really liked that damn card :(

I don't know much about this stuff so sorry if this sounds stupid but is there any chance the PSU fried the card? I've had it for like 3 years and never had any problems, whereas I've only had the psu for 2 weeks.

Seems unlikely... what PSU is it?

This is why I said earlier that air cooling sucks. Until I went to AIO water cooling the CPU cooler was always the most troublesome part of any build. Big heat syncs are nothing but a huge pain in the ass.

No shit. While I'm on DAY TWO of trying to get this together, I don't even really find it that complicated. There's just been a lack of instructions and stupid little conflicts like this that have caused long bouts of head-scratching.

Which board do you have? There could be a 2nd header in an easier to access position.

Gigabyte Z170N Gaming-5

Stubo

Yeah that'd be the only one then, that sucks.

Does it look like it would have enough clearance for the cable to bend out the way of the cooler if you seated the cable before the heatsink?

I picked up a monitor that only has a Displayport (v1.2). No HDMI, DVI, etc

Is there a way to get it working with a PS4?

Heard it might not be as easy as buying a display port to hdmi adapter/cable.

Does it look like it would have enough clearance for the cable to bend out the way of the cooler if you seated the cable before the heatsink?

Maybe but these words are like acid being dropped into my ears via an eardropper

edit: nope, doesn't seem like that'd work either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom