• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really dumb question. Pentium preceded Core. Was that a massive jump that deserved a name change? I notice we've been on iX for a long, long time. Is it because there are no massive jumps, like maybe the Pentium to Core? Or what?

Pentium 4 was a disaster, with Pentium IIIs of the same clockspeeds being able to best it, so moving to Core (which was based on Pentium III architecture rather than Pentium 4) was probably an attempt to distance themselves from that failure.

bomblord1

Banned
Finally got my PC together I put it through it's paces and it seems to be good got a 12969 on Firestrike so I'm pretty happy

Thanks for answering my constant random ass questions

Matty8787

When can we expect the next Intel CPU? After the division beta maxing my sandybridge at 100% and black desert less than 60fps while using a 980ti I think times may be creeping up on her.

I do have it ocd to 4.6 but looking at going i7 next time round.

Bloodember

When can we expect the next Intel CPU? After the division beta maxing my sandybridge at 100% and black desert less than 60fps while using a 980ti I think times may be creeping up on her.

I do have it ocd to 4.6 but looking at going i7 next time round.

Maybe this fall, but considering how good Skylake is selling Intel may delay them.

The bottleneck might be the external hard drive. USB 3.0 can allow for higher speeds, but if the hard drive isn't fast enough, it won't get you faster speeds. What files you're transferring also matter, it's generally easier and faster to transfer large files rather than lots of small files.

2. What sort of computer do you have? Some cases have mounts for 2.5" SSDs, some don't. The spacer is there to take up space. Some laptops have hard drive bays that are meant to take slightly larger 12.5/9.5mm thick storage drives, but SSDs are generally quite thin and most are 7mm thick nowadays. In case it's needed, you have a spacer that will fill in the gap and prevent the SSD from moving around.

3. Depends on the software, how much is being copied, etc. Macrium Reflect Free usually doesn't take very long. Never had it take more than 45 minutes to an hour for me (usually closer to half an hour), but I don't know how much data you're cloning

Thanks.

After some really nervous reboots that took about a half hour apiece, resetting the BIOS, and disabling the graphics card I was able to manage getting in and out of Safe Mode and transferring large amounts of data, as well as creating a recovery drive on a SD card.

I've been checking Speccy's and HDTune's S.M.A.R.T. output throughout the day and it's been harrowing seeing the "UNCORRECTABLE ERROR COUNT" keep climbing (it's at 2301 now).

It's been about 14 hours now and I just want to finish the process and have a functioning computer again :(

For the last step, is this "Acronis True Image HD" thing that came with the Crucial SSD fine for cloning?

RGM79

Thanks.

After some really nervous reboots that took about a half hour apiece, resetting the BIOS, and disabling the graphics card I was able to manage getting in and out of Safe Mode and transferring large amounts of data, as well as creating a recovery drive on a SD card.

I've been checking Speccy's and HDTune's S.M.A.R.T. output throughout the day and it's been harrowing seeing the "UNCORRECTABLE ERROR COUNT" keep climbing (it's at 2301 now).

It's been about 14 hours now and I just want to finish the process and have a functioning computer again :(

For the last step, is this "Acronis True Image HD" thing that came with the Crucial SSD fine for cloning?

Acronis should be fine.

RayStorm

Kaby, yes. Canon, no and probably won't be.

Going by history I'd be very surprised if Intel introduced a new socket with Canonlake. It's just the usual Intel Tick die shrink, that so far happened every generation without a socket change. I don't see why that would change this generation only because there is a second Tock prior.

M.D

I need to install Movie Maker on a work PC without internet access

The only download I could find is this, which is a small .exe file for "Windows Essentials 2012 program suite", and I'm pretty sure it downloads Movie Maker

Am I wrong or is there a different way to download an install file just for Movie Maker?

Chesskid1

Banned
when a hard drive turns reds cause you have like 20% left or whatever, can you keep putting stuff on it? i know you are supposed to leave some space leftover for reasons, but when it's like a 4TB HDD, that's alot of space to leave leftover. only using them for media storage (movies/music)

Massa

Really dumb question. Pentium preceded Core. Was that a massive jump that deserved a name change? I notice we've been on iX for a long, long time. Is it because there are no massive jumps, like maybe the Pentium to Core? Or what?

Pentium 4 was a terrible mistake that caused a lot of damage to the brand, so they went not only with a new architecture but a new name as well.

Well, the similar Asus VS247H-P is available for $110~120 after $20 rebate. It's slightly larger but still has that TN panel with 2ms response time.

Haha I am stuck waffling between the 239 and the 238... What type of back panel does your monitor have rgm?
Does anyone else here have either of these monitors, I think if the 239 does not ghost too much and I can get it to run at the 75ghz refresh rate I will go with the IPS panel.

Majine

Banned
Hey, I'm looking to replace my motherboard to futureproof my PC a bit (I have 1150 socket, want 1151 for Skylake etc.).

- Is there anything I need to know, variables that could fuck me over beyond looking for specifically the ATX formfactor?
- Is this even a good idea?

Quick question.

i5-4570k here with a 980Ti. Upgrade the CPU or not?
Just overclock it for now imho. What speed do you have it at?

Hey, I'm looking to replace my motherboard to futureproof my PC a bit (I have 1150 socket, want 1151 for Skylake etc.).

- Is there anything I need to know, that could fuck me over beyond looking for specifically the ATX formfactor?
- Is this even a good idea?
Future-proofing doesn't make sense. You'll need an 1151 motherboard if you want a Skylake CPU, and therefore also need DDR4 ram. But what CPU do you have now? If you need a CPU upgrade consider it, if not then it's a waste. You're probably more GPU limited tbh, if you have a modern CPU like haswell.

Majine

Banned
Just overclock it for now imho. What speed do you have it at?

Future-proofing doesn't make sense. You'll need an 1151 motherboard if you want a Skylake CPU, and therefore also need DDR4 ram. But what CPU do you have now? If you need a CPU upgrade consider it, if not then it's a waste. You're probably more GPU limited tbh, if you have a modern CPU like haswell.

I have the i5-4460, looking for something like the i7-6700k, to dabble into OC at some point.

Tizoc

Pre built or do you want to build it yourself? What is the power threshold you are aiming for?

I'm not very familiar with PC building actually, but I've been thinking of getting one in the future, if pre-built ones can have their components be replaced later on then that's fine.
Far as power threshold, basically anything that could run current games on PC eg Rise of Tomb Raider, etc.

I switched from a Fractal r4 to a Node 304 and man the fan is just on all the damn time (corsair h80 i think?)

Is that normal? Is it just cause of the smaller case..?

I have the i5-4460, looking for something like the i7-6700k, to dabble into OC at some point.

What GPU do you have? The 6700k is a great processor but you'd have to do a full upgrade, cpu/mobo/ram. And your CPU is still quite good. There's also the 4690k/4790k if you can find a good deal on one, where you can reuse your ram and (probably) motherboard -- assuming your board lets you overclock.

That said, if you have a weak GPU you'd be much better off just getting a faster video card instead.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm not very familiar with PC building actually, but I've been thinking of getting one in the future, if pre-built ones can have their components be replaced later on then that's fine.
Far as power threshold, basically anything that could run current games on PC eg Rise of Tomb Raider, etc.

If you're wanting something truly small form factor what about the alienware alpha? It's GPU runs games about the same settings and FPS as the PS4

It starts at $500
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd

A word of warning if you want to build one yourself small form factor PC's are a pain in the butt to work in when building and magnitudes more difficult than a mid or full size tower.

bomblord1

Banned
I have the Fractal Define R5 and I was wondering if it is possible to install an HDD without using the HDD cage?

I generally would not recommend putting in a magnetic hard drive (SSD is fine) without proper mounting. If it vibrates or is sitting at a weird angle or falls out of place it could cause irreparable damage.

when a hard drive turns reds cause you have like 20% left or whatever, can you keep putting stuff on it? i know you are supposed to leave some space leftover for reasons, but when it's like a 4TB HDD, that's alot of space to leave leftover. only using them for media storage (movies/music)

Yeah, it's absolutely fine. You only need to leave maybe 20 GB free, and that's being generous.

Swig_

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but I may need new speakers. I have an old set of Creative speakers from 2005ish and the center speaker has gone out, I think.

I see people with those studio monitors and am wondering if I should look into those, instead of a 5.1 system. I'd mostly be using them for gaming, but also TV/Movies/Music.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good new set of all-purpose speakers for my office/gaming room?

Do you guys have any suggestions for hooking up my gaming PC to my home theater? I want to keep it hooked up to my regular monitor and switch to the TV when I feel like playing on the TV. My gaming PC is about 15 feet from my main home theater so I'd love to hook it up and use a wireless controller to play games via pc but I'm not sure the best way to hook everything up.

I have an i7 4820
Asus Rampage IV Black
32 gigs of ram
Asus 980 Matrix Platinum

I currently have my system hooked up via display port to the Rog Swift IPS monitor. The video card has an HDMI out as well so could i run that to the TV? How would or should I run sound?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I gave into the urge to upgrade from my 2500k and just placed an order for all of this:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD
Motherboard: Z170-DELUXE
CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400
Drive: Crucial MX200 500GB

Going to recycle my GTX 970 card from my old machine, and also throw in its SSDs for a total of 1.25 TB of flash storage.

I wanted to upgrade the GPU, too, but now doesn't seem like the right time to buy. I really want to see how the next generation of AMD/Nvidia cards shakes out with DX12 and also the Free Sync technology. I've got a 1080p G-Sync monitor right now, but I'm definitely looking to upgrade to 2560x1440 eventually.

Got everything set up the other day. I actually ended up receiving the DDR4 3000 RAM instead of the 2400, but whatever, I'll take it!

I did a bit of overclocking stuff, but I've had some stability issues at 4.5 ghz and above, so I'm just keeping it at 4.4 ghz for now. I'll tweak things down the road when I feel like spending more time on it.

While I haven't seen massive improvements over my old 2500k @ 4.2 ghz setup in terms of gaming, it's quite obvious that some games definitely do benefit from having a better processor with more threads. GTAV and The Witcher 3 in particular are a lot smoother. Something I've noticed across the board is that while maximum frame rates are not a ton higher than before, minimum frame rates are much higher.

Well the single to multi core jump was a big one both technically and as a computing concept. Also the core 2/quad Kentsfield and the Nehalem/Sandy Bridge were both quite big jumps compared to what Intel releases today. It will be hard to get those performance gains from a new generation now given the manufacturing limits anyway a completely new architecture is always possible.

I remember being amazed by the performance gains I got jumping from a Core 2 Quad Q6600 to a Core i5 2500k. I was getting more than double frame rates in some games.

3x0

Neo Member
I switched from a Fractal r4 to a Node 304 and man the fan is just on all the damn time (corsair h80 i think?)

Is that normal? Is it just cause of the smaller case..?

You mean it's running at full speed when the PC is on or running even when you turn the system off?
If it's the former, make sure you've connected the fans to the CPU block/pump, the 3 pin goes to the mobo and you power the pump with a molex from the power supply. If it's already connected like that, check the CPU temps, maybe it's not mounted properly and the CPU gets too hot.
If it's the latter, then it's a PSU issue most likely.
Real quick: DDR3 2400/Cas 11 or DDR3 1600/Cas 8?

Go with the 2400 if it's not much more expensive than the 1600 one. The Digital foundry tests show some games like faster MHz RAM.

RGM79

Quick question.

i5-4570k here with a 980Ti. Upgrade the CPU or not?

No need. It'd be way more cost effective for you to overclock your processor (I assume you meant i5 4670K) than it would be to replace it with an i5 4690K or i7 4790K.

I need to install Movie Maker on a work PC without internet access

The only download I could find is this, which is a small .exe file for "Windows Essentials 2012 program suite", and I'm pretty sure it downloads Movie Maker

Am I wrong or is there a different way to download an install file just for Movie Maker?

You're correct. I installed Movie Maker for a work client a few days ago, and the Windows Essentials 2012 installer just grabs the files it needs for whichever programs you choose off the internet.

Is there a reason why the PC doesn't have internet?

Yeah, that's fine. Windows just gives you a warning and highlights it by default in red according to a percentage. You can fill it up as much as you want, just be cautious about running completely out of space.

Haha I am stuck waffling between the 239 and the 238... What type of back panel does your monitor have rgm?
Does anyone else here have either of these monitors, I think if the 239 does not ghost too much and I can get it to run at the 75ghz refresh rate I will go with the IPS panel.

Like I said, it's a TN panel with an advertised response time of 2ms. Or were you asking about something else? I'm not sure.

Real quick: DDR3 2400/Cas 11 or DDR3 1600/Cas 8?

I'd go for 2400MHz RAM. A few games can benefit somewhat from the higher speed.

ckeur

Hello! I'm looking to build a machine whose intended purpose is for VR. I backed the Rift Kickstarter, so I'll be receiving my Rift within a month or so and need a computer that can drive it.

My goal here is a future-proof machine that is specced above the minimum Rift specs, without going overboard on everything.

Here is a link to the current build I have: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P2F67P

And here is a quick summary of that build:
  • CPU – Intel i5 6600K
  • Motherboard – MSI Z170A Gaming M7
  • Memory – Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • GPU – MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti (Edit: Now considering EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+)
  • PSU – EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2
  • Storage – Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Monitor – ASUS VX238H
Here are some of the questions I have:
  • Motherboard – This has been the hardest decision for me. The two I've been leaning towards have been the MZI Z170A Gaming M7 and the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7. Any thoughts on these (or others that are similarly specced)?
  • Memory – Any recommendations on RAM, or is what I've picked good?
  • GPU – Any brand recommendations?
  • Storage – I don't need a ton of storage, but would like to have SSD around the 500GB range. Thoughts on SSDs?
Thanks for your help! I've been out of PC gaming for ~a decade; pretty excited about jumping back in! If you have any other questions or recommendations about my current build, let me know.

3x0

Neo Member
Here are some of the questions I have:
  • Motherboard – This has been the hardest decision for me. The two I've been leaning towards have been the MZI Z170A Gaming M7 and the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7. Any thoughts on these (or others that are similarly specced)?
  • Memory – Any recommendations on RAM, or is what I've picked good?
  • Storage – I don't need a ton of storage, but would like to have SSD around the 500GB range. Thoughts on SSDs?
Thanks for your help! I've been out of PC gaming for ~a decade; pretty excited about jumping back in! If you have any other questions or recommendations about my current build, let me know.

MoBo: depends what you want from it. Will you be overclocking the CPU to the limits (Edit: nevermind. Saw the 212 EVO, so "no" is probably the answer, for now at least. :) ) ? The MSI one lacks advanced LLC to combat vdroop from what I've seen. Otherwise, it's down to the preferred color scheme or number of expansion slots/ports.

RAM: The model you picked is good (...more than good).

SSD: The Samsung 850 EVO is pretty much the best price/pref/size. The only "negative" about it is its use of TLC NAND which has been problematic on the previous 840 EVO model. But, since no such problems have been reported for the 850 it's OK.
An alternative would be the Transcend SSD370.

Later edit:
GPU – Any brand recommendations?
You should look at individual models instead of brands. Any brand can have a turd crop up from time to time. The model you've picked is excellent.

DSN2K

So im currently sitting on a Intel 1150 Build with; MSI H81M-P33 , i3 4330, 8GB DDR3 1600 & GTX 760 4GB

I wanna upgrade for the next 2-3 years with VR support what is still quite possible with a 1150. I really don't want to change my board to be honest. I'm looking at Intel Core i7-4790 + 16GB of DDR3 1600...I dont need a K CPU because I have zero interest in overclocking, its why I went with a basic MB last time.

Will i7 4790 last me ? Im pretty certain it will going by this...https://youtu.be/VDo-j00vUtw. My major concern is the H81M doesnt support faster DDR3 ram and its shown that ram speed does effect modern game performance.

I will buy what ever best GPU is available for £250-£300 later this year. I'm content with my 760 for at least another 5 months.

the210

Is $599 a good price for a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+ card? Or would that money be better spent on whatever new card AMD or Nvidia release this year. I do need a card by this fall.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is $599 a good price for a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+ card? Or would that money be better spent on whatever new card AMD or Nvidia release this year. I do need a card by this fall.

What would you be upgrading from? It's probably the cheapest 980 Ti you can get right now, but if you're not hurting for an upgrade, I would recommend waiting.

I'm using a GTX 970 and will definitely be waiting to see what the next generation offers.

Like I said, it's a TN panel with an advertised response time of 2ms. Or were you asking about something else? I'm not sure.

Sorry not trying to be vague, I understand everything you laid out as well.

I am just stuck between the original two discussed and your response. I was just asking further which type of monitor you use.

I think I was just trying to get the courage to buy one of the other since they are so similar besides the panel.

I think in all I am going to buy the IPS version. Thanks again.

metalhead79

Neo Member
I have the Fractal Define R5 and I was wondering if it is possible to install an HDD without using the HDD cage?

I use a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter and mount my HDD under my DVD drive in my R4. I took all the HDD cages out to improve airflow in the case.The adapters are cheap, $5 or so on Amazon.

This isn't gaming related, because this build will not be for gaming at all... but... yeah-

My bro put this little build together exclusively for music production (a cheap, budget build that can handle FL Studio and a good # of plug-ins). I'm interested in some feedback, advice, suggestions, (anything) while keeping the build around $300. I'm thinking of starting this build almost immediately since my laptop I'm currently mixing on is starting to crumble.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jt8cdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jt8cdC/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($45.22 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.55 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $288.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-06 15:53 EST-0500

I already got an old, little HP case that's about 16"x 7"x17" or something like that. Not worrying about the OS or a disc drive either. Thanks.

ckeur

MoBo: depends what you want from it. Will you be overclocking the CPU to the limits (Edit: nevermind. Saw the 212 EVO, so "no" is probably the answer, for now at least. :) ) ? The MSI one lacks advanced LLC to combat vdroop from what I've seen. Otherwise, it's down to the preferred color scheme or number of expansion slots/ports.

RAM: The model you picked is good (...more than good).

SSD: The Samsung 850 EVO is pretty much the best price/pref/size. The only "negative" about it is its use of TLC NAND which has been problematic on the previous 840 EVO model. But, since no such problems have been reported for the 850 it's OK.
An alternative would be the Transcend SSD370.

Later edit:

You should look at individual models instead of brands. Any brand can have a turd crop up from time to time. The model you've picked is excellent.

Thanks!
  • MoBo - Aesthetics aren't too important to me. I just want something that can handle the rest of the machine with good support for future expansion. I'll keep debating. :)
  • CPU OC – You're correct. I'm not planning on CPU OC. Is there much value in doing so? I believe the K-series CPUs are better for OC, so wouldn't mind the potential to do so down the road without replacing everything.
  • RAM – Great, thanks!
  • SSD – Awesome!
  • GPU – When you say "model," you're referred to 970 vs 980 vs 980 Ti, correct? I've been doing some more research today, and now I'm leaning towards the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+. Seems like it's a bit quieter and also a bit easier to OC if I choose to do that down the road. Thoughts?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I'm at my wits end could use some help. Been having an issue with my PC since earlier this week. It has to do with my Xbox one elite controller (but also happens with a regular Xbox one controller). When I'm done playing a game and turn off my controller my mouse becomes really jumpy and makes a beeping noise through the speakers. Also none of the buttons work. At this point I can't shut down th PC it will just hang so have to rest.

Best I can tell the Xinput compatible HID device is crashing when I turn off the controller, only thing in device manager that changes when it happens. I can recreate the problem easy (start up far cry primal, play for a min, quit out, then turn off contoller).

I've removed and untinstalled, the ms wireless adapter, controller, usb, the xinput compatible HID device, all other hid devices and just about anything else I could think of. I've also done a refresh of windows 10 and had to reinstall all my games again (taking 2 nights). Nothing fixes it. I can use my Xbox 360 controller and have no issues.

It's driving me nuts!

Awakened

I'm at my wits end could use some help. Been having an issue with my PC since earlier this week. It has to do with my Xbox one elite controller (but also happens with a regular Xbox one controller). When I'm done playing a game and turn off my controller my mouse becomes really jumpy and makes a beeping noise through the speakers. Also none of the buttons work. At this point I can't shut down th PC it will just hang so have to rest.

Best I can tell the Xinput compatible HID device is crashing when I turn off the controller, only thing in device manager that changes when it happens. I can recreate the problem easy (start up far cry primal, play for a min, quit out, then turn off contoller).

I've removed and untinstalled, the ms wireless adapter, controller, usb, the xinput compatible HID device, all other hid devices and just about anything else I could think of. I've also done a refresh of windows 10 and had to reinstall all my games again (taking 2 nights). Nothing fixes it. I can use my Xbox 360 controller and have no issues.

It's driving me nuts!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/48pae4/random_mouse_lagging_and_beeping/

There was a recent Windows update that updated the Xbox One controller driver to fix certain games, but it's causing issues.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My cousin thought he could build a computer.. wouldn't work and asks me

I got it up and installed Windows but i noticed the fan sound being to loud so i downloaded hwinfo.... and something is not right
fH3infl.jpg

AND IT'S BLASTING OFF

And the cpu fan speed is 5000 rpm

It's an amd fx 8 core.

3x0

Neo Member
CPU OC – You're correct. I'm not planning on CPU OC. Is there much value in doing so? I believe the K-series CPUs are better for OC, so wouldn't mind the potential to do so down the road without replacing everything.
The CPU is powerful enough at stock frequencies that you don't have to think about OCing in the near future. When the time comes that you're limited by CPU performance, you'll be able to squeeze more from it by slightly OCing it with your current setup: the 212 EVO is sufficient for a mild overclock.
GPU – When you say "model," you're referred to 970 vs 980 vs 980 Ti, correct? I've been doing some more research today, and now I'm leaning towards the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+. Seems like it's a bit quieter and also a bit easier to OC if I choose to do that down the road. Thoughts?
"Model" or "SKU" refers to variants of the graphics card with the same GPU (i.e the same graphics processor, in this case 980Ti). For example, here are three models of the 980Ti from MSI:
https://us.msi.com/product/graphics-card/GTX-980Ti-GAMING-6G.html
https://us.msi.com/product/graphics-card/GTX-980Ti-SEA-HAWK.html
https://us.msi.com/product/graphics-card/GTX-980Ti-LIGHTNING.html
The Gaming model is a sweet spot: it has very quiet cooling and good OC potential. The fans turn off in idle to minimize noise, which is a plus IMO.

RGM79

Sorry not trying to be vague, I understand everything you laid out as well.

I am just stuck between the original two discussed and your response. I was just asking further which type of monitor you use.

I think I was just trying to get the courage to buy one of the other since they are so similar besides the panel.

I think in all I am going to buy the IPS version. Thanks again.

Oh, haha, we were both being vague, it turns out. The Asus VS247H-P is the monitor I use at home.

This isn't gaming related, because this build will not be for gaming at all... but... yeah-

My bro put this little build together exclusively for music production (a cheap, budget build that can handle FL Studio and a good # of plug-ins). I'm interested in some feedback, advice, suggestions, (anything) while keeping the build around $300. I'm thinking of starting this build almost immediately since my laptop I'm currently mixing on is starting to crumble.

I already got an old, little HP case that's about 16"x 7"x17" or something like that. Not worrying about the OS or a disc drive either. Thanks.
I'd be a bit wary about using old HP cases. Some of them used to take proprietary power supplies, it wouldn't be possible to mount a standard ATX power supply in them due to space, layout, or non-standard screw holes unless you're particularly handy with tools and have a DIY spirit.

I suppose if you wanted alternative suggestions, you can go with Intel. That said, you would only be able to get a dual core processor for the same price range and FL Studio's requirements say the more cores, the better.

the210

What would you be upgrading from? It's probably the cheapest 980 Ti you can get right now, but if you're not hurting for an upgrade, I would recommend waiting.

I'm using a GTX 970 and will definitely be waiting to see what the next generation offers.
I don't have any card at the moment. Just whatever is built into the newest I5. I wanted to wait for the new cards to drop but I'm not sure when that's going to be. The last time I bought a card for gaming was the 9500 pro.

Luckydog

I'm getting back into PC gaming after being a long time console gamer (ease of use and limited time before).

I still have limited time but would like to move over to the PC now. I have a small amount of space and don't want to start from scratch. I was considering the MSI X2. It's small, quiet, and there only a few real knocks I can find. First is that the CPU cooler is a pain to deal with but I don't mind just getting the MSI cooler that fits it. I know the power supply is only a 500 but I think this will work with my GTX 980. Finally I know mini-ITX will be a pain to work in the case but I don't think i will be messing inside much.

I already have access to new i7-6700, GTX 980 video card, and an average SSD. My questions would be, has anyone used this and been happy with it? Any negatives outside of the items listed above? Can anyone recommend a solid RAM choice for this build?

Right now the only thing I really play on PC is Kerbal Space Program but I would like to move most of my gaming to PC. What I would like to get to is to be able to run most PC games at 80-90% of max settings at a solid 1080/60 which should still be a big upgrade over my consoles and to not have to mess with it for about 2 years. Thoughts?

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom