• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mman235

Really? Another GAFfer a few pages back said he managed to get his to about 1.18v with the same hardware setup. I couldn't get it down to 1.2v without it crashing.

Skylake is more voltage tolerant than earlier designs such that you can theoretically be safe up to 1.35v on air cooling if your temps stay fine (though that's probably pushing it a little), so you can up it a bit just fine, you might even be able to go for a stable 4.4 overclock.

Tizoc

Hope it's OK to ask this, but I'd like to see some good videos on portable PCs. I plan to, in the future, build a PC that I can connect to an HDTV in living room.

bomblord1

Banned
Hope it's OK to ask this, but I'd like to see some good videos on portable PCs. I plan to, in the future, build a PC that I can connect to an HDTV in living room.

Could you elaborate what you mean by portable? Tablet, Laptop, Mini Desktop? Are you wanting to see a small case you can build yourself or a prebuilt? etc

bomblord1

Banned
How does the R9 390x compare to the GTX 980?

On paper the r9 390x blows it away
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980

In real world usage it depends on the game
390x-w3-4k.png

amd-300-gta-v-1080.png

been looking at a PC build i plan on making soon. i see that there is a new Hyper 212 cooler availabe. There is the Hyper 212 Evo but now there is the Hyper 212X. Is it worth getting the 212X over the 212 Evo? It just says better cooling/performance and to be honest there is only a £5 difference. I just don't want to risk it incase it is a step backwards or something.

also, i can either build my new PC now or hold off until Mid '17 at the latest. buy now and use my 290 and wait for the 1080 ti or just hold off building the entire PC until the 1080 ti. what are the chances of the next gen Intel CPU's releasing between then? I see that Kabylake is due in 2016. If that's likely then I'll hold off or is there really no point waiting and i should just go for the skylake?

I have an old and inherited TN Acer, it has served me well, but along with inheritance a beggar can not be a chooser and it was riddled with smudges and scratches.

I primarily play CS Go and other basic FPS games, some Metal Gear Solid off and on. What I am looking for is a decent budget monitor either IPS or TN in my range that has a performance or higher achieving refresh rate. Again not too sure of my current model, but I do think it performed admirably at 1080p.

I looked at the recommended Asus and others, I like IPS screens, but would rather not have ghosting. Please help me make a good decision. I also have a GTX 760, i7 4770k and 16gb ram driving it so I am not looking at going above 1080p in the near future for sure. Thanks!

sprinkles

Installing my new 970 took longer than I thought, but only because I was stupid and downloaded Nvidia's 32bit Windows10 driver and realized that only after 3 reboots. Why is 32bit still a thing in 2016?

Branson

It's crazy how easy overclocking is in 2016. I had to redo it last night after updating my bios and it took like 10 minutes to get it done again. 2500k at 4.5 still rocking. Also my mouse issue I was having earlier only happens after playing Far Cry 4. That also is the only game that crashes the 362.00 Nvidia drivers. What a port. It runs fine, just unstable as hell.

What do you guys think about this system?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 23:07 CET+0100

I live in Bosnia and I dont have a great choice of hardware, so this is the best that I could manage. Any advices? Thanks

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, is the 980Ti going to stay this expensive? Does anyone have a used one to sell? I have to pony up $800 for a Vive and another $650 for a 980Ti that isn't even Pascal? Got dammit. I should have picked up a 970 when it first came out. Now I'm stuck with my 770 and in a tough spot for VR on day one.

Man, is the 980Ti going to stay this expensive? Does anyone have a used one to sell? I have to pony up $800 for a Vive and another $650 for a 980Ti that isn't even Pascal? Got dammit. I should have picked up a 970 when it first came out. Now I'm stuck with my 770 and in a tough spot for VR on day one.

Why not get a 970 for now? It's within the Oculus recommendations and has gotten quite a bit cheaper since release. Unless the Vive is more hardware intensive than the Oculus?

RGM79

been looking at a PC build i plan on making soon. i see that there is a new Hyper 212 cooler availabe. There is the Hyper 212 Evo but now there is the Hyper 212X. Is it worth getting the 212X over the 212 Evo? It just says better cooling/performance and to be honest there is only a £5 difference. I just don't want to risk it incase it is a step backwards or something.

also, i can either build my new PC now or hold off until Mid '17 at the latest. buy now and use my 290 and wait for the 1080 ti or just hold off building the entire PC until the 1080 ti. what are the chances of the next gen Intel CPU's releasing between then? I see that Kabylake is due in 2016. If that's likely then I'll hold off or is there really no point waiting and i should just go for the skylake?

They're pretty similar, as far as I know the 212X is just slightly improved. We tend to recommend the 212 Evo around here as the majority of our recommendations are for North America and for some reason the 212X just never caught on here and isn't as available or as cheap as the 212 Evo in US dollars. As far as I can see the 212X is available at a decent price, so go for it. It's not a bad model, and it's supposed to be slight improved over the 212 Evo by having a better fan and redesigned fins. Despite the 212X being about 2.5 years old, I cannot find any trustworthy reviews of it that also compare it to the 212 Evo.

As for Kaby Lake, chances are it'll be just another slight performance/efficiency improvement just like how Skylake was another slight improvement. It will most likely use the same CPU socket as Skylake. It'll come with some small leaps in tech like maybe native support for USB 3.1 and whatnot, but performance-wise it most likely won't be a huge leap.

What do you guys think about this system?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 23:07 CET+0100

I live in Bosnia and I dont have a great choice of hardware, so this is the best that I could manage. Any advices? Thanks

Will you be ordering from German retailers or are those just the closest prices you could find compared to Bosnian retailers?

If you will be overclocking, I'd recommend a larger CPU cooler. Skylake supports dual channel RAM, instead of 1x8GB you should look for 2x4GB as RAM will run in dual channel with multiples of two.

Sorry for the late reply.
And thank you for giving more insight how the whole thing works.
I have my Windows 8.1 key at hand so that shouldn't be the problem.
So I have to call MS so they can transfer the digital entitlement to my new PC?
I've bought a Systembuilder / OEM Windows 8.1.

OEM is a bit tricky as I believe only retail editions are the ones that customers can freely transfer to new PCs, OEM licenses are usually meant to only be used on whatever PC it was activated on. Still, it's not impossible.. I have heard of people having success getting Microsoft support to transfer and reactivate licenses that were originally OEM.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why not get a 970 for now? It's within the Oculus recommendations and has gotten quite a bit cheaper since release. Unless the Vive is more hardware intensive than the Oculus?

I think that's my best bet. Just grabbing a used 970 for around $200.

Will you be ordering from German retailers or are those just the closest prices you could find compared to Bosnian retailers?

If you will be overclocking, I'd recommend a larger CPU cooler. Skylake supports dual channel RAM, instead of 1x8GB you should look for 2x4GB as RAM will run in dual channel with multiples of two.

I will order in Bosnia the prices are higher as usual but there is nothing that I can do.

Do you recommend me the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO? Is it better?

I thought to buy one 8GB slot and later the same but I'll take your advice and go with 4GBX2 its the same price.

Onemic

I think that's my best bet. Just grabbing a used 970 for around $200.

Im in the same spot as you. Have an R9 270 and Pascal/Polaris probably wont release anytime before Vive ships. I'll still wait just before my Vive gets shipped because Im hoping beyond hope that somehow Polaris will release by May, but I'll probably get an R9 390X

RGM79

I will order in Bosnia the prices are higher as usual but there is nothing that I can do.

Do you recommend me the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO? Is it better?

I thought to buy one 8GB slot and later the same but I'll take your advice and go with 4GBX2 its the same price.

How much more expensive is the 212 Evo? I'd generally recommend it over the smaller Arctic Freezer 13 cooler as it is larger and should be somewhat better for dealing with heat, especially if you will be overclocking the processor.

How long will you be waiting before buying more RAM? Honestly it won't matter too much if you are planning to get a second set of RAM soon.

3570k is current CPU.

At the moment running 2 670's in SLI.

Is there an upgrade for me in the $400 range that makes sense with that CPU?

grendelrt

3570k is current CPU.

I am in the same boat, from most benchmarks I have seen with good sli scaling, 2x670 is almost on par with a 970. So if you want a good upgrade, 980Ti or wait for pascal are you options on the nvidia side. I am waiting for pascal.

RGM79

3570k is current CPU.

Your processor isn't going to be obsolete anytime soon, especially if you have it overclocked. There aren't going to be many games if at all that will be bottlenecked badly by your processor.

That said.. perhaps you should wait for Nvidia's Pascal or AMD's Polaris, both of which will be arriving by the end of this year.

Hikami

You can use a y splitter, which will allow you to connect 2 fans to a single header.
A fan controller is also an option. I was considering something like a Corsair Commander Mini, which allows control over 6 fans.

Yes, though the Motherboard headers are for fans you want to have speed control of(through PWM).

You can get molex to 3/4 pin adapters that will turn the fans on when the PSU is on, as well as a low noise adapter that will reduce the fan speed if they are too loud.

You also have plenty of more complicated fan control boards.

Totally fine.

Late thanks :p

I went ahead and bought another case fan for now. Not liking how hot it gets with the one I just have now. Will have to see if I need another one, then I'll try out one of those Y splitters.

undecided

Just launched Diablo 3 to a lockup and a reboot, and now the BIOS says there is no drive plugged in to my SSDs SATA port.

Bummer of a start to the weekend :(

Guess I should order a Samsung.. Current drive was a 500GB crucial mx100

RGM79

Just launched Diablo 3 to a lockup and a reboot, and now the BIOS says there is no drive plugged in to my SSDs says port.

Bummer of a start to the weekend :(

Guess I should order a Samsung.. Current drive was a 500GB crucial mx100

Dead for sure? Try reattaching the power and data cables, using alternate cables in different ports, etc.

Helznicht

Got a request to build the cheapest PC possible that would play H1Z1 ok. I think a GTX 750Ti for $110 is the best bang for the buck on the low end. Any better / cheaper suggestions?

My secomd attempt at modding new vegas has been a success.
When I loaded up completely redone textures along with a new weather system and a character overhaul for the entire cast and proceeded to whip out a lightsaber on some ceasers leigon...I knew PC was the right choice.

Bboy AJ

Got a request to build the cheapest PC possible that would play H1Z1 ok. I think a GTX 750Ti for $110 is the best bang for the buck on the low end. Any better / cheaper suggestions?
Used 770, probably a 4GB one. Probably around $165 or so. I have one that I think is still under warranty for sale, if you're interested. PM me.

bomblord1

Banned
My secomd attempt at modding new vegas has been a success.
When I loaded up completely redone textures along with a new weather system and a character overhaul for the entire cast and proceeded to whip out a lightsaber on some ceasers leigon...I knew PC was the right choice.

Sounds awesome lol.

im going to buy a new pc few months later,but dont know what brand is better,this pc is for playing games

CPU: Intel.
RAM: Corsair. HyperX.
GPU: Nvidia or AMD. EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus.
Storage: HDD - Western Digital. SSD - Samsung / Crucial.
PSU: EVGA.
Motherboard: MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, Asus.
Case: Fractal Design. Corsair. NZXT.

Personally I have:

CPU: Intel.
RAM: Corsair.
GPU: AMD/MSI
Storage: Samsung SSD
PSU: EVGA.
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Case: NZXT

Hi,

So my external HDD, new Crucial SSD, and a SATA > USB cable just arrived and I'm in the process of dumping everything from my current HDD onto the external so I can finally rid myself of this messy drive.

A few questions:

1. I'm using the USB 3.0 port to connect the external drive but the transfer is going very slowly (I think), at ~4-5MB/s. Occasionally it will jump to 20 or so but I thought USB 3.0 was supposed to be way faster than that? I have hundreds of TBs to back up so I'm hoping this doesn't take me several days :(

2. How do I mount the SSD? It's friggin tiny. What is even the purpose of this spacer that came with it. I assume it's different than a HDD, and I can just tape it to my case or something?

3. How quickly should the cloning process go? I hope it isn't as slow as the backup to the external drive.

Alright I am being a bit impatient, but the price for the Asus v238 h-p and the v239 h-p.

For counter strike and tf2, would I see ghosting with the 239? Would overall gameplay experience with 238 be better?

RGM79

Hi,

So my external HDD, new Crucial SSD, and a SATA > USB cable just arrived and I'm in the process of dumping everything from my current HDD onto the external so I can finally rid myself of this messy drive.

A few questions:

1. I'm using the USB 3.0 port to connect the external drive but the transfer is going very slowly (I think), at ~4-5MB/s. Occasionally it will jump to 20 or so but I thought USB 3.0 was supposed to be way faster than that? I have hundreds of TBs to back up so I'm hoping this doesn't take me several days :(

2. How do I mount the SSD? It's friggin tiny. What is even the purpose of this spacer that came with it. I assume it's different than a HDD, and I can just tape it to my case or something?

3. How quickly should the cloning process go? I hope it isn't as slow as the backup to the external drive.

The bottleneck might be the external hard drive. USB 3.0 can allow for higher speeds, but if the hard drive isn't fast enough, it won't get you faster speeds. What files you're transferring also matter, it's generally easier and faster to transfer large files rather than lots of small files.

2. What sort of computer do you have? Some cases have mounts for 2.5" SSDs, some don't. The spacer is there to take up space. Some laptops have hard drive bays that are meant to take slightly larger 12.5/9.5mm thick storage drives, but SSDs are generally quite thin and most are 7mm thick nowadays. In case it's needed, you have a spacer that will fill in the gap and prevent the SSD from moving around.

3. Depends on the software, how much is being copied, etc. Macrium Reflect Free usually doesn't take very long. Never had it take more than 45 minutes to an hour for me (usually closer to half an hour), but I don't know how much data you're cloning.

Alright I am being a bit impatient, but the price for the Asus v238 h-p and the v239 h-p.

For counter strike and tf2, would I see ghosting with the 239? Would overall gameplay experience with 238 be better?

As I understand it, both monitors are very similar except the 239 is IPS. Also, there is a bit of subjectiveness where some people are more sensitive to response times and others don't mind so much. In general I would feel comfortable recommending the 239 for gaming, but if you think you would be very sensitive to the slightly higher 5ms response time on the 239, then go for the 238 for the 2ms response time.

As I understand it, both monitors are very similar except the 239 is IPS. Also, there is a bit of subjectiveness where some people are more sensitive to response times and others don't mind so much. In general I would feel comfortable recommending the 239 for gaming, but if you think you would be very sensitive to the slightly higher 5ms response time on the 239, then go for the 238 for the 2ms response time.

Appreciated, the Acer model I have now is the a221hqv, so I think either will be an upgrade performance wise, but also since it was a freebie, it is scratched and smudged all over.

It is 134.99 on Amazon right now so I am thinking about biting the bullet, for the tn variant.

A local computer repair shop had a going out of business sale. Everything was unboxxed/used, but tested right in front of me. I got 2 HDDs(320GB/500GB), 500watt PS, wireless mouse and a keyboard for $20. Going to build a 3rd PC and try to sell it. It will be a Celeron G530(2.4GHz dual core), Nvidia 460 GTX 768MB, 4GB DDR3. So maybe if I get it all up and running I can get $150-200 out of it. It doesn't sound like much, but it will play last gen games like a champ and pretty much any PC only title. I've run AC: Blackflag, Tomb Raider 2013, and Bioshock Infinite on it no problem.

RGM79

e90Mark

Thanks

I'm stuck on 3770k that I cant overclock due to my motherboard failing and having limited choices to replace it.

So either I upgrade to a Z170 or wait until the next socket.

Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E are both due later this year, I think.

Hey, I'm looking to build a machine that's strictly for recording footage at 1080/60 and for live streaming. I have an Avermedia PCI Capture Card and a El Gato HD60, and I'll use it to record my main computer and consoles. What kind of system requirements am I looking at?

I'm looking to save some cash, and all this machine will be doing is capturing and streaming. Should I be going for an i7, or will an i5 do? Does it need a dedicated GPU for doing [overlay stuff](http://i.imgur.com/zt36ktz.png)? I've got a spare Radeon HD 5770 that I could use if necessary. Would that be enough?

Also, a small form factor would be lovely. Any suggestions welcome.

Bboy AJ

Really dumb question. Pentium preceded Core. Was that a massive jump that deserved a name change? I notice we've been on iX for a long, long time. Is it because there are no massive jumps, like maybe the Pentium to Core? Or what?

lem0n

Looking to upgrade my monitor soon. I really want an ultrawide. What's the best bang for my buck? I play a lot of Bethesda games and racers, so low response time isn't the first of my worries. Suggestions?

joecanada

How accurate is " can I run it ". I want to play elite dangerous but my gt720 appears slightly under powered. The rest of my specs run way over minimum but I'm waiting a bit to upgrade gpu.... I guess could always get on steam and refund if no go?

Really dumb question. Pentium preceded Core. Was that a massive jump that deserved a name change? I notice we've been on iX for a long, long time. Is it because there are no massive jumps, like maybe the Pentium to Core? Or what?

Well the single to multi core jump was a big one both technically and as a computing concept. Also the core 2/quad Kentsfield and the Nehalem/Sandy Bridge were both quite big jumps compared to what Intel releases today. It will be hard to get those performance gains from a new generation now given the manufacturing limits anyway a completely new architecture is always possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom