• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurker

If you're not too fuss with the 5.25 drive, the NZXT s340 is amazing to build in. Looks great and the cable management makes me look like I've been doing it for years.

Yeah, I really like the NZXT. The only thing I really use a disc drive for is ripping media so my internal debate right now is whether or not that's actually necessary. I rarely use discs for anything else.

kuYuri

Yeah, I really like the NZXT. The only thing I really use a disc drive for is ripping media so my internal debate right now is whether or not that's actually necessary. I rarely use discs for anything else.

You can always get an external disc drive. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it's something.

CJVaughn

Banned
Nearly there
pUJIqdw.jpg
What desk is this?

Hi GAF. I have finally decided that the difference in graphics between my PS4 and PC are too wide. I am also thinking I want to go with VR on PC now so it's time to consider upgrading. I would basically go back to only playing exclusives on my PS4.

Here is my existing rig:

i5-2500k
GTX 560 Ti
16 GB DDR3 ram
Samsung 256 GB SSD
CM212+ cooler on CPU
550 Watt modular PSU

Miscellaneous items i have covered:

2x U2412 Dell Ultrasharp 1080p monitor.
MX518 mouse
2 nice speakers
keyboard
Windows license

So I guess for now what I am looking at is the following:

1) Near max graphics on 1x 1080p screen (perhaps 4K in the future or even truesync or whatever they call it., not right now)
2) Be able to handle current and nex gen VR (I am seriously considering getting a Vive later this year)

It has been years since I last looked into things and I see a big computer parts conference is coming up. My budget is probably 800-1000 dollars. I plan to also pick up a mid tower NZXT case.

So what combination of hardware should I be looking at? Should I get one of those enclosed water cooling solutions for my CPU? Should the rest of my rig just stick to air cooling? Thank you for your help.

TheJerit

Built my last desktop back in ~09 and the last gpu upgrade was a 5850 and since the PS4 came out, 98% switched to that for gaming. Wasn't planning on building anything till next year after HBM 2 and the new GPU lines were more fleshed out, but after pondering over the Vive more and more over the last few months....... it sucked me in!!! lol. I know that I want the best VR experience and ultimately this will be the one for the foreseeable future (imho).

Pre-ordered the Vive last night, looks like May is still the planned ship date. I'm still slightly abiding by my original plan in that I'm just going a real cheap route for this build and will probably just pass it on to my boys next year or so when I do upgrade. The only thing I've been sitting on the last couple of days is the GPU; planned to go with 390/390x for now and then sell/upgrade down the road later this year or early next. Haven't seen much deals lately for them and they all are hovering just above $300. Seen some 970's around $270. Should I just pull the trigger on a 970 for now or should I wait for a better price on the 390?

Ended up going with the MSI 390. Bought it off Jet earlier today for $290 (use promo code SHOP15), thought that was a solid deal considering that version.

kuYuri

Hi GAF. I have finally decided that the difference in graphics between my PS4 and PC are too wide. I am also thinking I want to go with VR on PC now so it's time to consider upgrading. I would basically go back to only playing exclusives on my PS4.

Here is my existing rig:

i5-2500k
GTX 560 Ti
16 GB DDR3 ram
Samsung 256 GB SSD
CM212+ cooler on CPU
550 Watt modular PSU

Miscellaneous items i have covered:

2x U2412 Dell Ultrasharp 1080p monitor.
MX518 mouse
2 nice speakers
keyboard
Windows license

So I guess for now what I am looking at is the following:

1) Near max graphics on 1x 1080p screen (perhaps 4K in the future or even truesync or whatever they call it., not right now)
2) Be able to handle current and nex gen VR (I am seriously considering getting a Vive later this year)

It has been years since I last looked into things and I see a big computer parts conference is coming up. My budget is probably 800-1000 dollars. I plan to also pick up a mid tower NZXT case.

So what combination of hardware should I be looking at? Should I get one of those enclosed water cooling solutions for my CPU? Should the rest of my rig just stick to air cooling? Thank you for your help.

Newer Skylake build so you're more future proofed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($339.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.10 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $960.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-05 20:28 EDT-0400

Older Haswell if you want to save a few extra dollars.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.78 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.10 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $883.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-05 20:36 EDT-0400

Feel free to re-use certain parts to save on cash. For example, your CM212+ cooler can be used in either build. Your DDR3 RAM can be reused on the second Haswell build listed above. Your PSU can also be reused if it's at least bronze rated on either build. I would definitely recommend the gold rated EVGA one I linked above for a bit of future proofing and better cable management. I threw in a random NZXT mid tower since I'm not sure which one you were thinking of. Your SSD can be thrown into either one of these builds. If anyone wants to correct me on my build, please go ahead.

If you have a Micro Center near you, you can get good deals on certain parts like the processor and motherboard.

Newer Skylake build so you're more future proofed.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $960.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-05 20:28 EDT-0400

Older Haswell if you want to save a few extra dollars.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.78 @ Amazon)
Total: $883.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-05 20:36 EDT-0400

Feel free to re-use certain parts to save on cash. For example, your CM212+ cooler can be used in either build. Your DDR3 RAM can be reused on the second Haswell build listed above. Your PSU can also be reused if it's at least bronze rated on either build. I would definitely recommend the gold rated EVGA one I linked above for a bit of future proofing and better cable management. I threw in a random NZXT mid tower since I'm not sure which one you were thinking of. Your SSD can be thrown into either one of these builds. If anyone wants to correct me on my build, please go ahead.

If you have a Micro Center near you, you can get good deals on certain parts like the processor and motherboard.

I was wrong. I have this 750 watt PSU by Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

It is bronze rated. Think this should be okay? What about a water cooling solution for CPU to replace CM212+? Finally should i wait for the next set of intel CPU or newer GPU announcements in May? Thank you for your help!

kuYuri

I was wrong. I have this 750 watt PSU by Corsair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

It is bronze rated. Think this should be okay? What about a water cooling solution for CPU to replace CM212+? Finally should i wait for the next set of intel CPU or newer GPU announcements in May? Thank you for your help!

That bronze one will do fine for now.

You can go water cooling if you plan on overclocking and don't mind spending a little extra, AIO water coolers start at around $60, so go for it if you want. Corsair/NZXT's all have solid water coolers.

As for waiting, it never hurts to wait, although the next set of CPU's aren't going to be that much of an improvement, although I could be wrong. GPUs will definitely be an improvement, so it wouldn't hurt to wait. Depends on when you want to upgrade.

That bronze one will do fine for now.

You can go water cooling if you plan on overclocking and don't mind spending a little extra, AIO water coolers start at around $60, so go for it if you want. Corsair/NZXT's all have solid water coolers.

As for waiting, it never hurts to wait, although the next set of CPU's aren't going to be that much of an improvement, although I could be wrong. GPUs will definitely be an improvement, so it wouldn't hurt to wait. Depends on when you want to upgrade.

I have some backlog I am working through on my PS4 so I can wait a bit. If it means I can maybe get a 980 due to price drop I think it makes sense. But thanks, I think I know what I need to do. I am going to get that S340 case and probably go ahead and look at the water cooler for CPU. Trying to understand difference between x41 and x61 for my build.

I actually use my disc drive as a monitor riser and only connect it when needed but I probably don't use the drive as often as you do thou.

After some reading doesn't seem AIO is much of an improvement. So I think maybe sticking with my CM212 is okay. However I may want to replace the fans I've been using because they are quite noisy...

Should I just pick up whatever 120mm NZXT recommends. Or is there a recommendation here that people use on their air coolers. Thank you.

Kinsei

Banned
So I need a new GPU for VR and I was thinking of going for the GTX 980. I know it's not top of the line, but it should still last me a long time right?

Oh and a few years ago I built my first ever PC thanks to help from one of these "I Need a New PC!" threads so thanks again to everyone that helped me.

Faenix1

So I'm pricing out a new build, which I'll post here when I fully decide on things, to make sure I'm not being stupid with it. Got a few questions for now that I'm sorry if have been answered before:

-is an SSD crucial or can I opt for a 2TB drive only to save money?
-is there much difference between a Core i5-4690K or a Core i7-4790K? i5 will save me a hundred or so.. but I'd rather get the i7 if it's a decent chunk better

Those OEM keys you can get online for like a 1/4 price of retail, are they okay to get? Don't feel like splashing out 100 quid more on a copy of WIndows.

I picked up a 10 Pro key for like $25. Works fine.

Yup get the pro version if you can. Having control on your windows updates is a game changer imho if you are annoyed by the fully automatic updates on W10.

K. where do you get Win 10 keys so cheap?

So I'm pricing out a new build, which I'll post here when I fully decide on things, to make sure I'm not being stupid with it. Got a few questions for now that I'm sorry if have been answered before:

-is an SSD crucial or can I opt for a 2TB drive only to save money?
-is there much difference between a Core i5-4690K or a Core i7-4790K? i5 will save me a hundred or so.. but I'd rather get the i7 if it's a decent chunk better

K. where do you get Win 10 keys so cheap?

Reddit

Is where I got mine, I know there's sites like G2A that sell keys as well. often it's student's or OEM who get the ultimate editions at rock bottom prices. While in college I could get windows ultimate for $10.

Turrican3

Are you sure the CPU is never getting the Turbo freq. which is 3.9 Ghz? Check the bios if turbo mode is disabled. Even that doesn't explain the performance difference though. Update the bios also and try manual RAM settings.
You won't believe what was going on. :-\

Apparently it was somehow related to Windows 7 (mind you, we're talking about a fresh installation with just the required drivers and Steam, i.e. no bloatware at all).

As a matter of fact, yesterday I ugraded to Windows 10 and... tah-dah, Cinebench R15 now gives the expected results in the multicore CPU benchmark (that is, around 600 points).
Heck, it was *clearly* faster with the image render process so I was 99.9% confident it would work... but I can't help but wonder what the "new" OS brought to the table to get such a huge performance improvement.

By the way, I had checked both RAM and CPU settings with HWinfo64 and it was correctly showing speed/clock and Turbo behaviour (idle around 3.8/3.9 Ghz, 3.6 when rendering/benchmarking) so I didn't mess too much with them.

You won't believe what was going on. :-\

Apparently it was somehow related to Windows 7 (mind you, we're talking about a fresh installation with just the required drivers and Steam, i.e. no bloatware at all).

As a matter of fact, yesterday I ugraded to Windows 10 and... tah-dah, Cinebench R15 now gives the expected results in the multicore CPU benchmark (that is, around 600 points).
Heck, it was *clearly* faster with the image render process so I was 99.9% confident it would work... but I can't help but wonder what the "new" OS brought to the table to get such a huge performance improvement.

By the way, I had checked both RAM and CPU settings with HWinfo64 and it was correctly showing speed/clock and Turbo behaviour (idle around 3.8/3.9 Ghz, 3.6 when rendering/benchmarking) so I didn't mess too much with them.

Could have been anything driver/software related and usually the CPU performance doesn't get faster on W10 compared to 7 so that's not normal but anyway glad you solved it.

ugh so I made a small mistake, the i5 6600k was on sale so I just ordered it before thinking to see if my mobo even supports it. turns out my mobo only supports LGA1150 and the CPU is 1151. So I guess I'm gonna need a new mobo as well. Any recommendations from here? http://www.ncix.com/category/motherboards-lga-1151-0b-107-2049.htm

I have this case

Think I've decided on this one http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-z170-mx-gaming-5-lga-1a-113390-1101.htm

This one is fine too but it's ATX.

ChuckNyce

ugh so I made a small mistake, the i5 6600k was on sale so I just ordered it before thinking to see if my mobo even supports it. turns out my mobo only supports LGA1150 and the CPU is 1151. So I guess I'm gonna need a new mobo as well. Any recommendations from here? http://www.ncix.com/category/motherboards-lga-1151-0b-107-2049.htm

I have this case

Think I've decided on this one http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-z170-mx-gaming-5-lga-1a-113390-1101.htm

That's the Mobo (and CPU) I went with. Liking it so far :)

Reposting for a new page... curious to see opinions. TIA!

I havent been a PC gamer since 2004 with FarCry and every year i think about getting back into it. I was in college and was poor and couldnt afford to upgrade my PC when that began to sag so i went full in on console gaming and havent been back to PC since.

I play a good amount of online multiplayer shooters (CoD, BF, whatever's new) and open world adventure/RPGs (Elder Scrolls titles, Witcher) and i've been super interested in games like Subnautica and Overwatch on the PC and my jealousy might tip me over (though i understand both those titles are coming to console)

I have no desire for higher than 1080p gaming (unless it's really that profound on a monitor 30" from your face. never experienced that - am i missing out?) but i'd love super high frame rates for my shooters and overall "smoothness" in games.

Things that have kept me from investing and building a PC...

1) Cheaters and hackers. I play a lot of online shooters and i've always heard i should stick to consoles for the competitive "safety" and playerbase.

2) Couch gaming. I love to relax and sit on the couch at times and until now (Steam Big Picture from what i understand) a PC in the living room wasn't a smooth solution.

3) Cost and upgrades. There never seemed a perfect time to get back in and I wasn't sure if a ~$1,000 USD gaming PC would really be THAT much better than current consoles (not the WiiU i know lol).

Things that have me interested in getting back into PC gaming...

1) The open ecosystem. Though that seems it might be changing now with MS's latest push.

2) Exclusive titles, early access games.

3) Ability to customize visuals. I'm a FPS junkie and would rather have 120FPS than 4k gaming any damn day.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions? Should i be waiting for Pascal to drop before even thinking of building?

Any build recommendations for ~$1,000 USD sans monitor and/or minus the cost for a Pascal card when they're released.

So I need a new GPU for VR and I was thinking of going for the GTX 980. I know it's not top of the line, but it should still last me a long time right?

Oh and a few years ago I built my first ever PC thanks to help from one of these "I Need a New PC!" threads so thanks again to everyone that helped me.

I have a GTX 980 and I haven't seen a game yet I can't max out and keep it at 75FPS or higher for G-Sync. As long as you stick to 1080p, you're set for a few years with a 980.

If you can wait a bit, the successors for the 970 and 980 are expected to be announced at the end of may.

Jimrpg

Get the GTX 980 Ti ($650) for an extra $150 if you can afford it... much better performance.

A GTX 970 ($329) overclocked can get close to a GTX 980 ($500) should you want to spend a bit less.

EDIT: Plus it looks like the x70/x80 lines will probably get replaced in the next couple of months.

LordAlu

1) Cheaters and hackers. I play a lot of online shooters and i've always heard i should stick to consoles for the competitive "safety" and playerbase.
To be honest, you get cheaters and hackers on consoles too, just a bit less. It's certainly a problem for both platforms.

2) Couch gaming. I love to relax and sit on the couch at times and until now (Steam Big Picture from what i understand) a PC in the living room wasn't a smooth solution.
It still isn't perfect, although it's a lot better than it used to be. You can even use Steam Link to stream your game from another room to your TV if you wanted, and the Steam Controller is fantastic for playing games that weren't designed for controller use.

3) Cost and upgrades. There never seemed a perfect time to get back in and I wasn't sure if a ~$1,000 USD gaming PC would really be THAT much better than current consoles (not the WiiU i know lol).
$1000 on a PC will always get you better performance than the latest consoles. It's more the laziness aspect that affects people - with a console you just put the disc in, wait a while and it works without config, but with a PC you need to install it and configure the settings etc.

1) The open ecosystem. Though that seems it might be changing now with MS's latest push.
The whole MS thing won't last at all - it's been shot at at all sides from consumers to developers. The only reason you'd use it is for MS exclusive published stuff, which is gonna be very little.

Ain't it great? Plus stuff that's multiplatform will almost always be better on PC :)

3) Ability to customize visuals. I'm a FPS junkie and would rather have 120FPS than 4k gaming any damn day.
High framerate > resolution.

Any build recommendations for ~$1,000 USD sans monitor and/or minus the cost for a Pascal card when they're released.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.74 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1006.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-06 08:35 EDT-0400

Drop a graphics card in and you're good to go.

I havent been a PC gamer since 2004 with FarCry and every year i think about getting back into it. I was in college and was poor and couldnt afford to upgrade my PC when that began to sag so i went full in on console gaming and havent been back to PC since.

I play a good amount of online multiplayer shooters (CoD, BF, whatever's new) and open world adventure/RPGs (Elder Scrolls titles, Witcher) and i've been super interested in games like Subnautica and Overwatch on the PC and my jealousy might tip me over (though i understand both those titles are coming to console)

I have no desire for higher than 1080p gaming (unless it's really that profound on a monitor 30" from your face. never experienced that - am i missing out?) but i'd love super high frame rates for my shooters and overall "smoothness" in games.

Things that have kept me from investing and building a PC...

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions? Should i be waiting for Pascal to drop before even thinking of building?

I just bought my build after watching this thread for about a month as well as r/buildapc and the like. I'm no expert but here's what I've got.

Steam Big Picture mode is still a beta-ish product but it works surprisingly well. Not for everything, but partially. The Steam Controller, if you get used to it, will enable you to play a lot of surprising stuff on a TV. Also a beta product, but also surprisingly effective in its current state. I recommend looking into both.

Right now, if you spend around 1000 on a gaming PC, it will be capable of driving most next-gen games to ultra at >60fps on 1080p or 1440p. The high end can handle some 4K games. I haven't done much research into 120fps; you may have to do your own research on that topic. But generally you're probably looking at the right ballpark for upgrades - a new gaming PC will do what you want and for the right price.

It's not recommended to buy a new GPU right now because of Polaris/Pascal but the rest is safe to buy. It's a decent time to buy a new processor; we just got a new generation of Intel processor chipset (Skylake) and motherboards (LGA1151 with DDR4 RAM, USB 3.1, etc).

General pieces based on priorities:
-If your full budget for your gaming PC is $1000, decide how much you want to set aside for the GPU. A Geforce 970 is $300-ish and it's usually the recommended place to start. The rumors about the new cards aren't very informative, so you'll just have to blindly do this part unless you wait. I'd aim for $650 for everything that isn't the GPU.
-If you want to overclock, you'll need an Intel processor model ending in "k" such as the i5-6600k, as well as a more featured motherboard that has overclocking options. If you don't want to overclock, this can save you money by dropping down to a lower tier of processor/motherboard, but then you lose out on the higher processor speeds that some games need to perform really well.
-A solid state drive is nice if you want a snappier OS/app experience. Most people buy both an SSD and a normal hard drive for bulk game storage.

Kinsei

Banned
I have a GTX 980 and I haven't seen a game yet I can't max out and keep it at 75FPS or higher for G-Sync. As long as you stick to 1080p, you're set for a few years with a 980.

That sounds good. I definitely wouldn't be running anything above 1080p.

If you can wait a bit, the successors for the 970 and 980 are expected to be announced at the end of may.

I will be waiting for a bit. I want to save up enough money for the Vive itself first. I actually have so many games on my Steam backlog I don;t really need to be buying anymore games at the moment so upgrading my GPU before then would be a waste since I'd never get around to playign the games that would take advantage of it.

Get the GTX 980 Ti ($650) for an extra $150 if you can afford it... much better performance.

A GTX 970 ($329) overclocked can get close to a GTX 980 ($500) should you want to spend a bit less.

EDIT: Plus it looks like the x70/x80 lines will probably get replaced in the next couple of months.

I'll get a 980 Ti if I can find one on sale or if the price drops a bit. I'm Canadian so even without factoring in the price of the GPU I'm looking at over $1,000 plus tax.

Your edit is worrying though.

e90Mark

Is there any real differences over xb271hu vs pg279q that anyone has noticed? I've sifted through a few pages of Google searches.

I'm able to get both locally, but the acer is $50 cheaper. (I probably would go local so it would be easy to exchange, with the questionable build quality for both)

Trigker

Guys i need an advice.

I have KFA2 970 HOF and i saw a used 290X Tri-X (basically new) for 250 euros.
Would you sell mine to buy that one?

I'm looking to upgrade RAM on my system. Please help GAF.

I have an msi z97 gaming mobo. So apparently I need ddr3 240 pin RAM. I want 32 gbs but I'm wondering if that's over kill. 32 seems to only be available in 4 x 8gb.

Basically I'm wondering if I should do 32 gb (4x8) or 16 gb (2x8).

I plan on using unreal engine and some video editing software.

LordAlu

I have an msi z97 gaming mobo. So apparently I need ddr3 240 pin RAM. I want 32 gbs but I'm wondering if that's over kill. 32 seems to only be available in 4 x 8gb.

Get a 2 x 8GB kit for now. If it's enough for what you want to do, great! If not, you can just buy another 2 x 8GB kit.

Trigker

Go 2x8 :)
32 gb won't be useful anytime soon

Faenix1

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.74 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1006.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-06 08:35 EDT-0400

I didn't realize it until now but I was planning a DDR3 system, but this one seems to be more future oriented. Though it's also $250 more before you attach a 970 to it and tax and shipping.. besides removing the SSD (which saves $115) is there anything else I could do to save some money without hurting things too much?

I'm planning to build a rig, sans GPU and reusing my current case, as best I can for as cheap as I can so I can splurge on a GPU in 6-12 months. I can reuse my current GPU, which sucks, so it won't feel like a total waste.

FYI, I'm in Canada. As is, with SSD, this runs $1259.98 pre-tax/shipping on newegg.ca. $1144.99 without which might be doable.

thenexus6

I finally got to play my first games on my new build.

Skyrim and L4D2. I had cam running and both ran at 60FPS.. I thought I would get much more than this? I played Skyrim on auto settings and L4D2 via nivida GE optimised settings

Trigker

Thanks a lot. One more question. Is there anyway to run my RAM the most efficiently? I've never over clocked or anything like that and my 2 x 4gb is always maxed right now.

If your systems supports it, you can use a XMP profile for your RAM.. you can go to your bios settings and check it. Anyway, it doesn't make much difference in gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom