• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostburn

Best Intel (1151) mITX motherboard for gaming? Will be hardwired to the network and quality sound is important to drive my headphones.

Jeff6851

Are we expecting Pascal to knock current prices way down? Like enough that it's worth to wait to upgrade a 560 Ti? Everyone is saying to wait but if I'm only saving $50 it may not be worth it to wait.

Edit: I know that apparently Pascal is supposed to be a better bang for your buck and more efficient but I'm really just aiming for 1440p at least 60 FPS for most games.

big fake

Hey guys haven't posted in here before and I've heard you guys have some good recommendations when it comes to PC builds/Gaming Laptop purchases. Well in a couple months I will be in Uni and was looking for a Gaming Laptop as a driver for school and do some decent gaming as well (games at high 60fps, ultra 15-30fps). Now the thing is I am also on a budget, in the range of $1000-1250 CANADIAN. I don't know if I am asking for something that isn't stupid and makes no sense, and all help in this manner would be great.

Thanks again for reading this.

e90Mark

Are we expecting Pascal to knock current prices way down? Like enough that it's worth to wait to upgrade a 560 Ti? Everyone is saying to wait but if I'm only saving $50 it may not be worth it to wait.

Edit: I know that apparently Pascal is supposed to be a better bang for your buck and more efficient but I'm really just aiming for 1440p at least 60 FPS for most games.
I doubt "way down." Probably the $50ish dollars you're expecting.
Hey guys haven't posted in here before and I've heard you guys have some good recommendations when it comes to PC builds/Gaming Laptop purchases. Well in a couple months I will be in Uni and was looking for a Gaming Laptop as a driver for school and do some decent gaming as well (games at high 60fps, ultra 15-30fps). Now the thing is I am also on a budget, in the range of $1000-1250 CANADIAN. I don't know if I am asking for something that isn't stupid and makes no sense, and all help in this manner would be great.

Thanks again for reading this.

Try looking at a few of the latest posts in the gaming laptop thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745783&page=94

SYNTAX182

Gigabyte R9 380 4 GB

So I got this card from Jet. $175.00 w/ the coupon code + free shipping. This is a good deal for a 380 4GB right? Gigabyte is good? Computer is mostly for graphic design work and playing Dark Souls 3 on high/medium settings @60 fps 1080p and some light indie games, etc. I am upgrading monitor to 1440p in summer as well, but I will still game at 1080p windowed for the most part. I'm upgrading from a EVGA 650 ti Boost 2GB and hopefully this is a good jump in performance.

Gonna get the EVGA 500B 500w psu from newegg for $34.99 as well because my old one is CX430 and supposedly it sucks lol. Just want to make sure I'm getting the right gpu and psu for what I'm using the computer for.

Here's my other parts if it matters.

Asrock H97M Anniversary
i5 4590
8GB Ram

Thanks! =)

rykomatsu

I got a Corsair 250D case with a Corsair H100i v2 cooler and a mini-ITX Z170 mobo...was one of the toughest assembles I've ever done...

Everything was bumping into the fan shrouds on the cooler, coolant lines bumping into the wifi m.2(?) card, had to trim the fan shroud with a multi-tool, but managed to get it together.

Then struggled getting my 7950 into the PCIe slot since the power connectors were pointing upwards into a metal plate...

Maybe should have gone microATX instead...

MoonGred

Slightly unrelated.

I'll be doing a re-install of Win10 over the weekend, which shouldn't be a problem as the SSD only has the OS, just want to be sure of one thing. If I disconnect my other drives which have steam and stuff installed, do a clean install and the plug the other drives back in will everything work as before?

Total newbie question here but anyone know how to fix a "D3dx9_26.dll is missing" error on PC?

If it matters, I'm running Windows 10, have DirectX 12, and trying to install Psychonauts.

I tried to run Windows update but that didn't seem to fix things.

Popstar

Total newbie question here but anyone know how to fix a "D3dx9_26.dll is missing" error on PC?

If it matters, I'm running Windows 10, have DirectX 12, and trying to install Psychonauts.

I tried to run Windows update but that didn't seem to fix things.
D3dx9_26.dll is a helper library with many different versions. It's the responsibility of the game (Psychonauts) to install it – usually by calling a bundled DirectX installer with the correct version. It's not part of Windows Update.

Take a look in the Psychonauts directory and see if there's an installer you can run.

D3dx9_26.dll is a helper library with many different versions. It's the responsibility of the game (Pychonauts) to install it – usually by calling a bundled DirectX installer with the correct version. It's not part of Windows Update.

So, if for whatever reason the exe file of the game isn't don't that, what, you just search and download the file manually? Any reliable sources for that?

EDIT, ah will check the directory.

Trigker

Welcome to EU pricing. The G1 is now on a promotion, actually the price is around $450-460.

And yes I thought about 6600k but read about the i7 being significantly faster in 3d modelling & rendering which I use alongside gaming.

If I lived in the US maybe :) Here the CPU is already on sale for $50 less. In general if you wanna compare add about 25-30% to US prices and you get EU.

I'm from Italy man, i know the prices suck in EU but a G1 970 costs 320 euros here.

I was going to recommend the Logitech lapdesk n315. I use this for similar situations and love it. It's looks like a discontinued product though at my quick review. I paid about $14 for it on Amazon a couple years ago, so if you can find it o would go for it.

Thanks, I'll start hunting for that or something similar.

So guys, I decided that I am gonna upgrade my old i5-2500 (non-K) build for this gen. It came in a SFF pre-built business PC and I need a graphics card, a case and a power supply. I wonder what you guys would suggest based on a budget of 500 bucks. Any help would be appreciated.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not sure if this is the best spot, so my apologies in advance, will delete post if asked to but...

Got a new desktop and will be connecting it to my TV in my living room.

Coffee table however is too low to be comfortable while playing with mouse and keyboard, anyone have any good ideas/solutions? Ideally, it's something I can set on top of the coffee table to raise up the mouse and keyboard to a comfortable height where I'm not super duper hunched over.

Coffee table is smack dab between the couch and the TV, roughly 6 feet from couch to TV?

Get a new coffee table?

AZjqgO9.jpg

D3dx9_26.dll is a helper library with many different versions. It's the responsibility of the game (Psychonauts) to install it – usually by calling a bundled DirectX installer with the correct version. It's not part of Windows Update.

Take a look in the Psychonauts directory and see if there's an installer you can run.

Got it working. Thank you.

The mission "I need a new PC" is done. Thanks for @RGM79 for some helpful advices.

These are the final specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Storage: Samsung SSD EVO 850 240GB
Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB HDD 7200rpm 64MB Sata 3
Video Card: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 DC2OC 4GB
Case: MS industrial Falcon gaming case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W Gold

I enjoyed building it and I had no problems at all. It's in my living room connected to an Sony Bravia 50W705B. I will put an additional slot of 8GB ram to work in dual channel.

Ah okay, I thought it was to do with the quality and lasting effect. So if you would recommend a PSU, would you go EVGA or Corsair? Or something different?

Sorry, somehow missed your reply. What's your country? Budget? Prefered store?

Each brand has good and bad units, you can find one suitable within your budgets and read reviews about it, KitGuru etc.

Your Current Specs: A dying computer, Radeon R7800, Corsair Water Cooling, 128GB main OS SSD, 2TB almost full HDD, 16GB RAM
Budget: $1300-1800 USD
Main Use: 3D and Dev Work (UE4), Medium Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming
Monitor Resolution: I have a 28" Sam but am curious about 4k? You could say.... buy-curious?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Unreal Engine 4, Unity, Maya, 3D Max, Adobe Premiere Pro
Looking to reuse any parts?: possibly my Samsung SSD (the one with the OS on it) and the HDD (for now)
When will you build?: Summer
Will you be overclocking?: No

Turrican3

Can't get the excellent Nintendo BT Keyboard to work with Windows 10. :-\

It's pairing fine (the keyboard itself is obviously perfectly functioning per se, and it's working on a different, Win 7-based PC with the same BT dongle) but it automatically disconnects after a few seconds.

Anything worth trying to debug this issue?

Please note the BT dongle seems to be ok, as I can use a BT mouse and a wiimote with no disconnections at all (to be fair, there IS an issue with the wiimote pointer, but I think it's Dolphin-related so I'll ask there)

Trigker

The mission "I need a new PC" is done. Thanks for @RGM79 for some helpful advices.

These are the final specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Storage: Samsung SSD EVO 850 240GB
Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB HDD 7200rpm 64MB Sata 3
Video Card: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 DC2OC 4GB
Case: MS industrial Falcon gaming case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W Gold

I enjoyed building it and I had no problems at all. It's in my living room connected to an Sony Bravia 50W705B. I will put an additional slot of 8GB ram to work in dual channel.

GJ man, have fun :)

kennah

Are there any good sites to buy used PC parts other than Craigslist? I've been scouring the listings there with limited success.

I'm in Canada btw. Looking for even a 3570K or 4670K type setup.

Don't want to spend $1,500 CAD after taxes for a current generation build as everyone seems to carry the belief that CPU progress has stagnated in the past few years, for the most part.

Hey, this was posted on Vancouver Kijiji last night. Solid deal if you can get to it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-com...le/1154387285?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

xkramz

Is now a good time to get me a skylake i5-6600K cpu and jump into ddr4? I currently have

I5-3470 and 8gb of ddr3.

Reason I'm asking is, if I should wait for a future generations cpu or better ddr4? Or just go with skylake? Is my upgrade a substantial or logical upgrade?

Is now a good time to get me a skylake i5-6600K cpu and jump into ddr4? I currently have

I5-3470 and 8gb of ddr3.

Reason I'm asking is, if I should wait for a future generations cpu or better ddr4? Or just go with skylake? Is my upgrade a substantial or logical upgrade?

Now is a good time to go for Skylake. It's definitely a substantial upgrade on the CPU side. What video card do you have? Wanna give us the full specs of your current system? And what resolution/refresh rate do you play at?

Ozorov

I'm going to build my first gaming PC since forever this summer. I got an offer to buy a used ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG278Q G-Sync for 399 euros. Its six months old. Is that a good deal?

if i'm gonna get an i7-6700K or do any kind of overclocking, will the Hyper 212 Evo be good enough? What should I expect? the 6700K has a stock speed of 4.0Ghz with 4.2Ghz turbo. am i only gonna get a couple hundred Mhz (4.2/4.3Ghz)? if i want to reach something like 4.4/4.5Ghz should i look to get a hydro/fan cooler (h110i)? i just want an idea of how far the 212 evo will let me overclock. my current CPU (i5-4590) runs about 70C with the stock fan when gaming. so i guess i wouldn't mind if the i7 reaches that temp.

Evo will be fine for a small overclock like that. For me the only reason to go AIO is aesthetics or maybe space if you can't fit a proper heatsink but have space for a radiator. There are too many disadvantages to an AIO compared to a good heatsink. E.g. noise, price/performance, potential for leaks and it being less maintenance friendly.

Oh nice, a 970!

I think a 6600K would be a great upgrade. It'll last you a long time, probably 4-5 years at this rate. Get a Hyper 212 Evo with it and overclock it to maybe 4.3 GHz and you're set.

if i'm gonna get an i7-6700K or do any kind of overclocking, will the Hyper 212 Evo be good enough? What should I expect? the 6700K has a stock speed of 4.0Ghz with 4.2Ghz turbo. am i only gonna get a couple hundred Mhz (4.2/4.3Ghz)? if i want to reach something like 4.4/4.5Ghz should i look to get a hydro/fan cooler (h110i)? i just want an idea of how far the 212 evo will let me overclock. my current CPU (i5-4590) runs about 70C with the stock fan when gaming. so i guess i wouldn't mind if the i7 reaches that temp.
Hyper 212 Evo will do you fine, you shouldn't have much trouble getting to 4.4 or 4.5 with one and keeping good temps.

Flaxh

Hello again!

A friend of mine decided to build a new PC to play some MOBAs and MMORPGs and asked me if I was interested in selling some of my parts. For reference, this is my rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($306.04 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Directron)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.97 @ Directron)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($324.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus MX239H 23.0" Monitor ($182.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Microsoft ANB-00001 Wired Slim Keyboard ($10.99 @ Directron)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Pro MLG Edition Wired Laser Mouse
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($95.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1370.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 13:53 EDT-0400

He's mostly interested in my cpu+mobo+ram combo to pair with a GTX 950. I wasn't planning on upgrading right now but this might be a good opportunity so I'm considering it and that brought me some questions.

1 -> How much should I sell those parts for? Some people I talked to suggested 300€. Im Portuguese so prices might seem really high for americans.

2 -> There's a 100€ difference between the 6600k and 6700k. Is it worth it? Im thinking about pairing one of those with a Asus z170-A mobo which has good reviews, the "golden" 150€ pricetag and will match my black & white build that I've been planning for the next upgrade (case and fans). 2x 8GB of Corsair RAM

3 -> The next 2 generations of Intel processors will use the same socket so it will be possible to buy a 2017 motherboard with some new features and use it with my 600k right?

Thanks in advance

BraXzy

What's my best bet for finding a cheap but new GFX card in the UK? I'm eyeing up 970's on eBay and prices are in the £220 - £250 range for most. I wanna try and snag a deal at £200 but I might be being too optimistic.

23qwerty

so I'm going to be upgrading my mobo tonight, from the looks of it I need to remove my windows 10 key via command prompt and then just reactivate windows when I get the new mobo in?

anything else I need to know when changing the mobo?

So I tried cloning my HDD to my new ssd. The ssd is 480 gb and I cleared enough space in the HDD so that it's about 390gb.

Ran acronis that came with the PNY ssd, it compkeyed the clone but the ssd won't boot into windows. I made sure it was selected as the boot drive and also tried without the HDD connected. No dice.

I formatted the ssd and tried cloning with macrium reflect, but it says there is not enough free space on the destination drive, even though it's clearly showing there is.

Time to do a fresh windows install on the ssd? Can I created a boot usb in windows 10? Any other ideas on why the clone won't work?

kuYuri

Your Current Specs: A dying computer, Radeon R7800, Corsair Water Cooling, 128GB main OS SSD, 2TB almost full HDD, 16GB RAM
Budget: $1300-1800 USD
Main Use: 3D and Dev Work (UE4), Medium Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming
Monitor Resolution: I have a 28" Sam but am curious about 4k? You could say.... buy-curious?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Unreal Engine 4, Unity, Maya, 3D Max, Adobe Premiere Pro
Looking to reuse any parts?: possibly my Samsung SSD (the one with the OS on it) and the HDD (for now)
When will you build?: Summer
Will you be overclocking?: No

Not entirely sure what cooler you have, but if it supports socket LGA 2011-V3, you can reuse it for this build and save about $100~. If you want to spend a little more, you can go for a 980 Ti GPU for another $200~ and get the best card on the market currently.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($112.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card ($413.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1398.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-08 22:46 EDT-0400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom