• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra

How much bottlenecking will there be if I decide to upgrade to a GTX 980 in my i7 960? I play my games with HDMI connected to a LED-TV.

23qwerty

How much bottlenecking will there be if I decide to upgrade to a GTX 980 in my i7 960? I play my games with HDMI connected to a LED-TV.

I got quite a lot of CPU bottlenecking with my 970 and i5 4460. Not really at 60fps though, mainly just over 100fps.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Success! The behemoth that is the Noctua NH-D15 perfectly fits in my case despite Cooler Master saying that it only has clearance for a 160mm cooler. There is plenty of space between the cooler and the panel as well. Potentially enough room for a fan on the panel.

In other news, I'm considering getting a 4 pin fan hub so I can plug them all into the CPU fan header. Would something like that work out?

Out of curiosity, how much quieter is your computer now? I'm considering buying good fans and hopefully make mine silent.

Guys what are my OS options? I downloaded W10 from Microsofts site, and used Rufus to create a bootable USB with the ISO. Can I install it on my new machine and buy a key at a later date? I don't get paid again until next week. What's my best bet?

Guys what are my OS options? I downloaded W10 from Microsofts site, and used Rufus to create a bootable USB with the ISO. Can I install it on my new machine and buy a key at a later date? I don't get paid again until next week. What's my best bet?

You can install W10 on your new machine, problem is without a CD key you can't use any features of W10.
You can buy a key later and activate your copy yes.
Or use the free upgrade method by MS from W7 or W 8.1.

You can install W10 on your new machine, problem is without a CD key you can't use any features of W10.
You can buy a key later and activate your copy yes.
Or use the free upgrade method by MS from W7 or W 8.1.

Okay that would be okay I think, what features would I miss out on? I can still install steam and drivers and all that?

You cannot change the destop wallpaper and I think you cannot change the screensaver.
Installing Steam and drivers should be doable no problem.

Okay that's cool thanks :) One last thing, I'm told I can use a Windows 8.1 key to activate Windows 10 as it would be seen as an upgrade? Play Asia have keys for like £15, Would that work?

Okay that's cool thanks :) One last thing, I'm told I can use a Windows 8.1 key to activate Windows 10 as it would be seen as an upgrade? Play Asia have keys for like £15, Would that work?

Sure you're welcome :)
Yes you can use a Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 key, you need to upgrade with the Media Creation tool though, at least once.
Should work yes, you only need to see if its the Core or Pro version.

Sure you're welcome :)
Yes you can use a Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 key, you need to upgrade with the Media Creation tool though, at least once.
Should work yes, you only need to see if its the Core or Pro version.

Cool cool. I have it installing now. I selected my SSD in advanced settings so I presume it's installing to that. Also presume that since it's installing windows right now that there are no issues with the cpu, gpu or motherboard and that it has POST'd successfully :p

Cool cool. I have it installing now. I selected my SSD in advanced settings so I presume it's installing to that. Also presume that since it's installing windows right now that there are no issues with the cpu, gpu or motherboard and that it has POST'd successfully :p

Well when it's installing your system should be good, only need to get the drivers from your brand you got your Mainboard from and you should be good to go :)

Jordan

Hi all,

Having some issues with my current PC and had been toying with an upgrade and a downsize.

Your Current Specs: Intel i5 4670K, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX770 2048MB Edition, Avexir MPower Red Series 8GB, Hyper 212 Cooler, 600T Case.
Budget: £700
Main Use: Will be running a virtual environment to assist me through my VCP exam so would like 32GB RAM. Playing games, currently addicted to Osu and The Division but will probably planning to keep graphics card
Monitor Resolution: I will keep my two IPS 1080p monitors
Looking to reuse any parts?: Will reuse SSD and HHD, graphics cards to save cost mainly and unless recommended.
When will you build?: In a few weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Have never really had the urge to do so.

I priced up the below as a quick put together:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£261.35 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£123.22 @ More Computers)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.94)
Total: £687.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-16 22:31 BST+0100

Just wondering if anyone spotted this and could give me some advice :)

Thanks

Well when it's installing your system should be good, only need to get the drivers from your brand you got your Mainboard from and you should be good to go :)

Sorry for all the questions haha, but I have the CD from my motherboard. I connected the ethernet cable to the PC but I presume I need a driver for it. Can I install the drivers by putting the disc in my laptop, putting them on a USB and installing them that way? No optical drive on this PC.

Jordan

Sorry for all the questions haha, but I have the CD from my motherboard. I connected the ethernet cable to the PC but I presume I need a driver for it. Can I install the drivers by putting the disc in my laptop, putting them on a USB and installing them that way? No optical drive on this PC.

Go to whoever made the motherboard's website and download the latest drivers from there. Best option in my opinion.

Go to whoever made the motherboard's website and download the latest drivers from there. Best option in my opinion.

What Jordan said, just get the model number of your Motherboard and get the newest drivers. And that's cool, this thread is there for asking questions.

What Jordan said, just get the model number of your Motherboard and get the newest drivers. And that's cool, this thread is there for asking questions.

Okay got them downloading to my USB now :D Also strange that windows never even asked me for my product key. No watermark either and I can change backgrounds fine. Now I just need to figure out how to scale the image to fit my TV screen.

Okay got them downloading to my USB now :D Also strange that windows never even asked me for my product key. No watermark either and I can change backgrounds fine. Now I just need to figure out how to scale the image to fit my TV screen.

I think it will be disabled after you connect to the internet or restart your PC.
You updated from a Windows or you did a fresh install?
You can skip the product key field since W 8.1

I think it will be disabled after you connect to the internet or restart your PC.
You updated from a Windows or you did a fresh install?
You can skip the product key field since W 8.1

I did a fresh install using Rufus to create a bootable USB after downloading from Microsoft. Would makes sense considering I don't have a driver currently for ethernet so it isn't picking up a connection.

I did a fresh install using Rufus to create a bootable USB after downloading from Microsoft. Would makes sense considering I don't have a driver currently for ethernet so it isn't picking up a connection.

Ah I see, that makes sense alright, yeah MS checks if you have a genuine copy of Windows and if they detect no key, they disable features so you need to get a genuine cd key.

Ah I see, that makes sense alright, yeah MS checks if you have a genuine copy of Windows and if they detect no key, they disable features so you need to get a genuine cd key.

Cool I'll have that sorted soon :) Only other thing I could have screwed up is the thermal paste on the cooler since I had to take it off and reposition it. I'll check CPU temps. Think it was said that over 50 degrees celcius at idle load would mean I'd need to reapply?

Cool I'll have that sorted soon :) Only other thing I could have screwed up is the thermal paste on the cooler since I had to take it off and reposition it. I'll check CPU temps. Think it was said that over 50 degrees celcius at idle load would mean I'd need to reapply?

What CPU and CPU cooling solution do you use?
It depends on the CPU and the cooler.
You can use HWMonitor for checking CPU temps:
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.28.zip

catabarez

Out of curiosity, how much quieter is your computer now? I'm considering buying good fans and hopefully make mine silent.

It's a good deal quieter. It can be even quieter with only one fan installed and Noctua even provides pass through cables that lower the RPM of the fans.

ACE 1991

What's the best budget current gen motherboard? The only feature I really care about is the ability to OC. Also, if gaming is really the only thing I'm using the PC for, is there any real reason to get a skylake i7 over the i5? I'm assuming not.

dealer-

I am about to buy a pc from a friend for budget gaming, probably older titles from 2013 and before, plus a few newer ones where possible. Does it look okay? I'm only really concerned about the PSU as seems rather a cheap option for the build.

PSU: Pentium P4 450U 450Watt
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V - Intel H81 - Socket 1150
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 - 3.2Ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 PC12800 (2 x 8GB)
OS Hard Drive: 1 x 128GB SSD
Data Hard Drive: 1 x 2TB Western Digital
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti (2GB)

Awesome :D It's running really well atm. First time I've ever been able to view 1080/60fps videos smoothly :p Core temp also shows clock speed only around 800mhz but I presume it's because its not got any load on it?

Exactly, the CPU is clocking by demand, so if you are watching YT videos or playing a game, the CPU clocks itsself neccessary for the heavy load.
Feels good right ? :p

Steam seems to install fine, then when I go to install it, it goes to about 3000kb then slowly fluctuates and gets an error. "Steam needs to be online to update" Anyone know what can cause this? Already tried running as admin and running in W7 compatibility mode

Onemic

I shouldve gotten an i7-6700K instead of an i5-6600K. Oh well, I wont make the same mistake for my next CPU upgrade in 5 years time.

I shouldve gotten an i7-6700K instead of an i5-6600K. Oh well, I wont make the same mistake for my next CPU upgrade in 5 years time.

Are you seeing some performance dips with the i5-6600k? I'm deciding between the two currently and siding with the i7-6700k simply for future proofing and multitasking.

Onemic

Are you seeing some performance dips with the i5-6600k? I'm deciding between the two currently and siding with the i7-6700k simply for future proofing and multitasking.

Nope, its been fine performance wise(especially since my last CPU was an FX8320) but considering I wanted a future-proof rig made for VR, it was probably a mistake to not get the i7-6700K. Especially because Im gonna get 2 Pascal 1080 cards for SLI. I also dont know if the extra threads would've helped with OpenGL programming.

Zaph

Anyone know if the Noctua PPC fans are compatible with the NH-D15?

I tried out the Noctua PPC's recently, and I don't see why they wouldn't fit the D15's fan bracket. However they are far too loud for my taste and you should carefully check your motherboard spec to make sure the cpu fan header can tolerate the combined power draw of two of them. Otherwise you'll have to hook them up via other means.

Nope, its been fine performance wise(especially since my last CPU was an FX8320) but considering I wanted a future-proof rig made for VR, it was probably a mistake to not get the i7-6700K. Especially because Im gonna get 2 Pascal 1080 cards for SLI. I also dont know if the extra threads would've helped with OpenGL programming.

Ah ok... yeah that's my ultimate end plan. A set of Pascals in SLI or Polari(?) in Xf. I'll start with one though.

I'm going 6700k as it seems more and more games, esp big open world ones, are using more cores/threads (or so i'be been told).

What's a really good 1080p gaming monitor with top notch picture quality and response time? Ideally 27" but no smaller than 24". Adaptive sync not really necessary but Freesync preferred.

xkramz

So this "tigerlake" and "icelake" cpu dropping in the next two years or so worth the wait? It says 10nm. That's quite small. Is this for notebooks and or handhelds? Or is it a desktop cpu to look forward to?

LilJoka

So this "tigerlake" and "icelake" cpu dropping in the next two years or so worth the wait? It says 10nm. That's quite small. Is this for notebooks and or handhelds? Or is it a desktop cpu to look forward to?

You could be running a 2500K and be fine. Do not wait to build a PC for new CPUs.

catabarez

Indeed, but why use a hub and introduce extra cable clutter?
Just buy a PWM splitter cable.

I figured it would be better for cable management and I already have a splitter plugged in for my CPU fans. I believe some hubs allow for individual fan control so there is that as well.

I tried out the Noctua PPC's recently, and I don't see why they wouldn't fit the D15's fan bracket. However they are far too loud for my taste and you should carefully check your motherboard spec to make sure the cpu fan header can tolerate the combined power draw of two of them. Otherwise you'll have to hook them up via other means.

The low noise adapters that came with the heatsink would help out if the fans ended up being too loud. I would also more than likely use a hub in addition to the splitter so that all my case fans will properly be powered.

I'm still trying to decide whether to get corsair or noctua case fans. If I end up going with noctua I'll test it with the CPU cooler.

Zaph

The low noise adapters that came with the heatsink would help out if the fans ended up being too loud. I would also more than likely use a hub in addition to the splitter so that all my case fans will properly be powered.

I have a bunch of low noise adapters that came with my Noctua NH-U14S and case fans, but they didn't work with the PPC's I tested (these). The fans didn't spin up at all with the adapters connected - I think they draw too much power. And unlike other Noctua fans, no adapters or accessories come with the PPC's.

Drewsky

Hi guys. I thought I remembered there being more to the utilities section of the OP, like recommendations for anti virus software etc. Was that in a different thread?

Is it fairly easy to swap Hard drives on laptops?

I want to order an HP laptop online, but the reviews are mostly negative due to the noisey, crappy and slow HDD. they do not offer a customization where I can use a SSD. I want to put a SSD in it when I get it. This is the laptop, what say you GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom