• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luoapp

Need some help. Sure there is a better place to ask, but...playing 2 player rocket league with my son on his pc. After 2 games it crashed and now will not power on at all. Yesterday it crashed like this and we restarted a minute later with no issues. Its like the system is getting no power. So where do I start? PSU?

It never crashed 1 player. Sure I just fried something. Its been about 30 mins and no improvement.

Edit...just tried again and the power hits for like half a second, enough for the mouse to briefly light up and a fan make half a spin. Then shuts down again.

test your power supply first. http://marcomiltenburg.com/2011/09/18/how-to-test-an-atx-power-supply/

Canklestank

Neo Member
I was actually looking at the PPC line. Those seem to come with vibration pads.

Are those noisy?

They're industrial fans, so they aren't really meant to be quiet. But if you can regulate the fan speeds, you can probably get them down to a reasonable level. At 12V they're going to be very loud.

For what it's worth, I've heard the corsair AF and SP fans (non-LED) compare favorably with the Noctua's and you have better color options.

I'm sure there's some people here that could recommend other fans as well.

catabarez

They're industrial fans, so they aren't really meant to be quiet. But if you can regulate the fan speeds, you can probably get them down to a reasonable level. At 12V they're going to be very loud.

For what it's worth, I've heard the corsair AF and SP fans (non-LED) compare favorably with the Noctua's and you have better color options.

I'm sure there's some people here that could recommend other fans as well.

Alright I'll check out the corsair fans as well. Thanks!

ethomaz

Banned
Are there any issue going with i3 6100 this year to upgrade next year to i5 6400 or i5 6600k???

This will be my mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3

I will use the IGP until late this year... so no GPU for now.

Are there any issue going with i3 6100 this year to upgrade next year to i5 6400 or i5 6600k???

This will be my mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3

I will use the IGP until late this year... so no GPU for now.

Nope no issues. If you decide to go with a non K CPU you could save a bit on the motherboard that's it.

Jarnet87

What kind of price drop do graphics cards get when a brand new model comes out, if any? I read we might get new cards from AMD and Nvidia in May/June. I bring this up because I am thinking about getting a graphics card for the WoW: Legion release in August. I currently have a Gateway Fx6831-01 model: Intel Core i7 860 / 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, and a Radeon 6870 HD. Looking just for a cheap minor upgrade for the time being as I plan on building my first computer at the end of this year or beginning next year.

LordAlu

What kind of price drop do graphics cards get when a brand new model comes out, if any? I read we might get new cards from AMD and Nvidia in May/June. I bring this up because I am thinking about getting a graphics card for the WoW: Legion release in August. I currently have a Gateway Fx6831-01 model: Intel Core i7 860 / 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, and a Radeon 6870 HD. Looking just for a cheap minor upgrade for the time being as I plan on building my first computer at the end of this year or beginning next year.
If they do get one, it's usually quite small. What tends to happen is supply dries up a few weeks/months before release - it's already rumoured that NVIDIA have stopped production of the 970/980/980Ti chips. Most places will have sold out of their stock before new cards arrived.

If it's the same motherboard there will be no issues. No need to install anything again.

Only times you have restart are a new chipset but even then you can get lucky.
It's true. I completely replaced my mobo cpu and ram, and to my surprise windows 10 still booted fine. I ended up reinstalling anyway but I had no trouble activating it. I was using a windows 8 key.

IMBored

So, after some think I decided to start upgrading my PC with the CPU + Motherboard, leaving the GPU and getting a SSD for latter.

Looking around I have decided on a i3-6100 or a FX-8300. They both sell for around the same price, but while the FX as more power I've never had a AMD CPU, so I don't know if there's any common problems that Intels don't have. One thing leading me to the i3 is that Skylake is supposedly very power efficient.

Motherboards wise, any considerations on what to look for? I don't need any extras, only connect one hdd, the gpu and 2 USB devices.

So, after some think I decided to start upgrading my PC with the CPU + Motherboard, leaving the GPU and getting a SSD for latter.

Looking around I have decided on a i3-6100 or a FX-8300. They both sell for around the same price, but while the FX as more power I've never had a AMD CPU, so I don't know if there's any common problems that Intels don't have. One thing leading me to the i3 is that Skylake is supposedly very power efficient.

Motherboards wise, any considerations on what to look for? I don't need any extras, only connect one hdd, the gpu and 2 USB devices.

What's your current system and your budget? In the US?

Guys, I'm currently connecting all my cables up. For the system ones with a NZXT S340 case, I have the LEDs connected, HD Audio cable and the 8 pin USB 3.0 cable connected. Left with the two system fans. There is like a central hub looking thing with 2 big pins in it, coming off that is two connectors that the fans are connected to. Am I supposed to disconnect the fans from the Molex (I think) connector and connect them to the motherboard? The motherboard has slots for 4 pin fan connectors but these are only 3 pin.

ethomaz

Banned
Nope no issues. If you decide to go with a non K CPU you could save a bit on the motherboard that's it.
I'm thinkimg more about future here... I can upgrade the CPU next year easily (or when the successor of Skylake releases) but a mobo is a bit hard to upgrade.

Another point is that here in Brazil I'm getting this mobo at R$999 and the cheapest H170 or Z170 I found with DDR4 was R$850.

Seems like the gray market didn't bother to import H170 mobos or cheaper Z170 making this one a good and cheaper option.

About the cooler... is the box good for i3 6100? Most important quiet? I want to make a system without the actual noise I have with fans on my Athlon 64 X2.

Any quiet cooler recommendation? Cheaper of course :D

IMBored

What's your current system and your budget? In the US?

Unfortunately EU, really hard to find good prices :( I'm still rocking a old core 2 duo E6750, with DDR2, so I need to change that. The GPU is for now a HD7750 that seems to be enough to run the games I play (Dota2 mostly) but I want to upgrade that in the future so I can play games like RotTR at decent settings.
Budget for now is around 250€, my company paid bonus :)

cHinzo

Guys, I'm currently connecting all my cables up. For the system ones with a NZXT S340 case, I have the LEDs connected, HD Audio cable and the 8 pin USB 3.0 cable connected. Left with the two system fans. There is like a central hub looking thing with 2 big pins in it, coming off that is two connectors that the fans are connected to. Am I supposed to disconnect the fans from the Molex (I think) connector and connect them to the motherboard? The motherboard has slots for 4 pin fan connectors but these are only 3 pin.
Yeah you can plug the 3 pin connector from the fan cable to the 4 pin connector on your motherboard. You can connect them onto the molex, but I don't think you can control the fan speed that way.

Megabat

Unfortunately EU, really hard to find good prices :( I'm still rocking a old core 2 duo E6750, with DDR2, so I need to change that. The GPU is for now a HD7750 that seems to be enough to run the games I play (Dota2 mostly) but I want to upgrade that in the future so I can play games like RotTR at decent settings.
Budget for now is around 250€, my company paid bonus :)

It's a tough choice, for sure. Personally, I'd get the newer processor and a midrange board (B150 or H170). I think I would recommend the same for you. The octa-core FX parts are definitely making a comeback in triple-A engines, but Intel are just so far ahead in IPC. AM3+ platforms are certainly still competitive, but they're still years older. It also sounds like you mostly play games optimized for dual-and-quad-threaded CPU's, and the i3 pretty much matches FX in new stuff (like RotTR).

Here is a rough price breakdown (forgive my use of USD):

i3-6100 - $115
Gigabyte/Asus H170 - ~$75-85
16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - ~$67
Total: ~$260/€220

EDIT: I just remembered the i5-6400T - 4 cores at 2.2-2.8GHz. It's $150 in the U.S., and should be faster than an i3. That's all theory, I have not seen any benchmarks.

It's a tough choice, for sure. Personally, I'd get the newer processor and a midrange board (B150 or H170). I think I would recommend the same for you. The octa-core FX parts are definitely making a comeback in triple-A engines, but Intel are just so far ahead in IPC. AM3+ platforms are certainly still competitive, but they're still years older. It also sounds like you mostly play games optimized for dual-and-quad-threaded CPU's, and the i3 pretty much matches FX in new stuff (like RotTR).

i3-6100 - $115
16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - ~$67

EDIT: I just remembered the i5-6400T - 4 cores at 2.2-2.8GHz. It's $150 in the U.S., and should be faster than an i3. That's all theory, I have not seen any benchmarks.

It's just slightly slower than the i5-6400 in practice, however, the $150 deal seems to be a tray version - need to factor in price of a cooler, and at that point might as well as buy an i5-6400.

If it's a boxed with cooler version, go for it if you need the cores.

Surfinn

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I should upgrade or not.. I've got an i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz with a 980 GTX. Obviously my video card is satisfactory, but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading the motherboard/cpu for gaming? What kind of difference would an i7 6700k make in new/upcoming games?

Don't wanna have to upgrade if I don't need to, but I'm not really that sure about the differences between the CPUs in gaming performance as we move forward.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I should upgrade or not.. I've got an i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz with a 980 GTX. Obviously my video card is satisfactory, but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading the motherboard/cpu for gaming? What kind of difference would an i7 6700k make in new/upcoming games?

Don't wanna have to upgrade if I don't need to, but I'm not really that sure about the differences between the CPUs in gaming performance as we move forward.

Are you playing at 1080p/60? If so, you'd be better off putting your money towards a nice new 1440p/144Hz display IMO.

IMBored

i3-6100 - $115
16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - ~$67

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the prices for components are a little steeper on m country, but I can still keep the budget with that, kind of. Will probably buy something close to that and wait for new gpu news latter this year.

Yeah you can plug the 3 pin connector from the fan cable to the 4 pin connector on your motherboard. You can connect them onto the molex, but I don't think you can control the fan speed that way.

Okay cool thanks :) One last thing, installing my GTX 970. Put it in the PCIe slot and heard the little clunk noise and the little notch closed like it did on the RAM, its still a little loose in the slot but the problem is the bracket isnt lined up to screw it tight. Should I be pushing it towards the outside of the case to get the holes to line up or should it just be lined up when its in? Using an NZXT S340 if that makes a difference.

Edit: Got it. Just pushed it a little towards the case and got the screw in. Secure now.

Peterthumpa

The parts themselves look fine, but you should do a paste with the prices.
You can get faster RAM for probably the same price of the 2133.

Thanks. Still checking the prices, Canada is a bitch :/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($308.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.35 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($214.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.00 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($879.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($101.07 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1926.87

Woffls

Anyone got a Carbide 400C/Q?

Considering buying one to migrate my build to a smaller case, and it looks like a great compact case that still fits ATX and good water cooling options.

First complete PC build. Haven't played on the PC in over 10 years so with all the recent console happenings and stellar evolution of Steam and other PC game services i figured i wanted back in. (Ive REALLY been dying to get back into CS and SubNautica looks unbelievable!)

The rig needs to play the usual AAA's at 1080p (maybe 1440p not decided on that) and FPSs at as high a frame rate as possible with as high of settings as possible. I most likely will be waiting for Pascal/Polaris GPUs (still eta of end of summer?) but i wanted to plan out a budget around the equivalent of what i would purchase had the cards not been around the corner.

Will end up OC'ing likely in the future (mild-mid OC) and i wanted to be a little "future proof" so I went with the 6700k instead of the 6600. I'll add on more storage when i need it but this rig will largely be a steam machine and Kodi server.

Let me know if you guys/gals have any suggestions, comments or alternatives that keep me within my goals.

Budget $0 to ~ $2,000 ±$100. USD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.45 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($619.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2091.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-20 14:45 EDT-0400

Okay guys, hooked it up to my TV to see if it posts, keyboard is in my parents house so can't get it until tomorrow.

I turned it on, just came up " CPU or Memory Change !!! Please enter setup to configure your system

Press F1 to run setup

Press F2 to load default values and continue"
VGA light is also on on the ez debug thing

Second boot it went to MSI bios and now says Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Does this sound normal? No VGA light on the mobo at second boot.

e90Mark

First complete PC build.

snip]

980ti on 1080p will do well for what you want. XL2411z is probably the best 1080p 144 non-gsync monitor, IMO.

I think it's confirmed Corsair is releasing an updated K65 RGB, if you wanted to look into that.
I would personally skip on the M65 if you're planning on playing cs, due to acceleration of a laser mouse. Maybe try looking into an optical. Just my 2c.

LordAlu

Okay guys, hooked it up to my TV to see if it posts, keyboard is in my parents house so can't get it until tomorrow.

I turned it on, just came up " CPU or Memory Change !!! Please enter setup to configure your system

Press F1 to run setup

Press F2 to load default values and continue"
VGA light is also on on the ez debug thing

Second boot it went to MSI bios and now says Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Does this sound normal? No VGA light on the mobo at second boot.
Sounds fine. It's just waiting for you to insert a USB (or DVD if you have it) with Windows on it so it can install it.

980ti on 1080p will do well for what you want. XL2411z is probably the best 1080p 144 non-gsync monitor, IMO.

I think it's confirmed Corsair is releasing an updated K65 RGB, if you wanted to look into that.
I would personally skip on the M65 if you're planning on playing cs, due to acceleration of a laser mouse. Maybe try looking into an optical. Just my 2c.

-Nice... good to hear about the 980ti and XL2411z. I'm a big BenQ fan and have two RL2455HM's for my PS4's in the console-game room... i love them!

-I had no idea the K65 was being updated... any info on that you could like me to by chance?

-The M65 Pro (i'm getting the pro version with the new 12k sensor) actually utilizes a Pixart PMW 336x optical sensor. I've heard it's REALLY nice in CS:GO.

YT video review with good info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNuVqWD-1ZA

Sounds fine. It's just waiting for you to insert a USB (or DVD if you have it) with Windows on it so it can install it.

Okay cool sounds good :D Anytime I boot it now it just boots to an MSI logo saying press del fro BIOS, then says to insert a boot device or something. Glad to hear it's good. I'll see tomorrow but if it's fine then I'm happy I got it all working and didn't fry my board or anything. Yay.

joecanada

so for the first time I stuck a DVD in my new pc and it doesn't do anything.... it won't say there's a dvd in the tray, it reads CDs just fine I checked. I guess I should check other DVD's but is there things I should be checking? I stuck the DVD in a player and it played just fine .....

its an LG, can get the exact model later if needed.

what do I do to diagnose ?

e90Mark

-Nice... good to hear about the 980ti and XL2411z. I'm a big BenQ fan and have two RL2455HM's for my PS4's in the console-game room... i love them!

-I had no idea the K65 was being updated... any info on that you could like me to by chance?

-The M65 Pro (i'm getting the pro version with the new 12k sensor) actually utilizes a Pixart PMW 336x optical sensor. I've heard it's REALLY nice in CS:GO.

YT video review with good info...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNuVqWD-1ZA

I'm a BenQ fan myself. I have a XL2411z and it's great.

K65 Update, supposedly they are supposed to announce this at Pax East, but it was found early? - https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4fa0sa/has_anyone_heard_of_the_corsair_k65_lux/

- Did not know the Pro used a 336x sensor, in that case it's fine. I use a g502 with 3366 and its flawless.

I'm a BenQ fan myself. I have a XL2411z and it's great.

K65 Update, supposedly they are supposed to announce this at Pax East, but it was found early? - https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4fa0sa/has_anyone_heard_of_the_corsair_k65_lux/

- Did not know the Pro used a 336x sensor, in that case it's fine. I use a g502 with 3366 and its flawless.

I was thinking about the g502 but when I saw the k65 egg pro and how it matched the k65 I fell in love!

The K65 RGB LUX has some nice key caps! I wonder what else is different and if it's really "better". The image makes the frame look plastic and not aluminum... Hope that's not the case!

catabarez

What's a good place to see fan comparisons? I'm looking for some high quality fans but I can't decide between Noctua or Corsair.

Edit: I also need to find a good LED fan. I want to replace a 200mm fan with an LED one. Is there a way to get 4 pin fans to work with 3 pin headers? I want to use 4 pin PWM fans in case I upgrade my motherboard.

The Budgetron 9000 is dead. The Gigabyte mobo was dead on arrival and seeing as I didn't really need this computer (I was just morbidly curious about the performance of a $189 PC using an APU), I'm returning everything to get my money back.

One day I will build a PC with an AMD APU. One day...

Intel Skylake I7 6700K 2tb + SSD 16gb DDR4 GTX 980TI 6gb Galaxy Windows 10 PC x 1 1255.00 GBP 1255.00 GBP
Nvidia GTX 980 TI 6gb x 1
Windows 10 Home 64bit x 1
2tb Sata Hard Drive x 1
24X DVD Writer x 1
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb DDR4 3000Mhz x 2
Intel I7 6700K Skylake x 1
120gb SSD Solid State Drive x 1
Galaxy 3 Case ( Blue )
Corsair CX600 600w Power Supply
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming5 (Skylake) x 1

Got this arriving in the morning, really looking forward to getting into PC gaming, just wish my Vive would hurry up!

I finally decided to take the plunge. Well, I decided months ago. But I only took the plunge a week ago. Newegg had a sale going on so I decided to take advantage of a discount they had going on for the graphics card I wanted. Specifically an overclocked ASUS Nvidia GTX 970. Regular price was $340. On sale for $300, 280 after rebate. Probably wasn't going to get a better card for that price in the next month.

It's finally happening. I'm joining the elite.

For reference, what I'm targeting spec-wise:
Z170 motherboard
Intel i5 6500/6600k
Nvidia GTX 970
1-2TB HDD
256GB SSD
8-16GB DDR4 RAM
Mid-Tower form factor

So basically the bottom end of VR.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Spent the whole afternoon building and troubleshooting my i7 6700k upgrade today. My main issue was trying to clean install Windows 7 from USB on a new SSD. I kept getting a "A required CD/DVD driver is missing" error.

I found out that apparently Skylake doesn't allow Win7 installations from USB because the new Gigabyte mobos have a newer USB version. So you have to patch the Win 7 bootable USB using this installation tool. This took me about 2 hours to solve. I'm passing on the message to hopefully save somebody some grief. This youtube vid was very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTV3hJAn5s

Now my PC is purring along nicely. Just waiting for Pascal and I am all ready for VR!!

eiskaltnz

I have finally decided to build a new computer to replace my 7 year old i7 920 build. I already have the GPU but everything else will be new.

This is what I currently have http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/YKQj8d and the last issue I am having is deciding on the CPU.

I feel like the i5 6600 is enough but is it worth going for the K or even an i7 6700?

The computer will be mainly used for gaming and various forms of development.

I have finally decided to build a new computer to replace my 7 year old i7 920 build. I already have the GPU but everything else will be new.

This is what I currently have http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/YKQj8d and the last issue I am having is deciding on the CPU.

I feel like the i5 6600 is enough but is it worth going for the K or even an i7 6700?

The computer will be mainly used for gaming and various forms of development.

The 6600K is quite a lot of CPU, especially when overclocked. Really, in my opinion, a 6400 or 6500 would suffice by itself, but there's definitely no beating free CPU (if you're lucky with silicon lottery).

The H55 should afford you some headroom in overclocking, but be aware that the H55 uses three-pin DC fans on the radiator - if your motherboard doesn't support DC voltage control on 3-pin fans (which your motherboard should, but just in case), it'll run in full speed and full speed only. The H80i v2 (formerly H80i GT) would cool a lot better - it basically is a 240mm rad AIO in 120mm, but it will also take a whole lot more space, so not all cases and/or motherboard socket layouts will fit, in addition to being more spendy. Not necessary, though, as the H55 should afford you some OC compared to the stock cooler. (Not sure how much, though.)

Just remember to stability test if you do overclock beyond the maximum single-core turbo.

catabarez

Success! The behemoth that is the Noctua NH-D15 perfectly fits in my case despite Cooler Master saying that it only has clearance for a 160mm cooler. There is plenty of space between the cooler and the panel as well. Potentially enough room for a fan on the panel.

In other news, I'm considering getting a 4 pin fan hub so I can plug them all into the CPU fan header. Would something like that work out?

LilJoka

Success! The behemoth that is the Noctua NH-D15 perfectly fits in my case despite Cooler Master saying that it only has clearance for a 160mm cooler. There is plenty of space between the cooler and the panel as well. Potentially enough room for a fan on the panel.

In other news, I'm considering getting a 4 pin fan hub so I can plug them all into the CPU fan header. Would something like that work out?

Yes you could do that.
If you do plug them through a splitter to a PWM header, don't exceed a total of 1A current draw. You can find the current draw of each fan on its sticker.

catabarez

Yes you could do that.
If you do plug them through a splitter to a PWM header, don't exceed a total of 1A current draw. You can find the current draw of each fan on its sticker.

It looks like the hub is powered with a SATA power cable. That shouldn't be a problem since it isn't taking power from the PWM header, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom