• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbd23

I am in need of some help lads. I was playing dark souls on my PC and it froze. alt +tab gave me a black screen and task manager wouldn't show up so I restarted my PC after a while. when restarted it was stuck on the windows 10 logo screen for +10 minutes.

I shut it down and put my windows 10 CD in to see if it could repair anything. that also took 10 minutes to even show up and after clicking repair im just on a purple screen with the cursor

not even a month ago i replaced my HDD because it broke with an SSD + HDD combo. and the little light on my case indicating that my harddrive is in use is constantly on. is this another hard drive problem? im going insane right now.

Check my rig. I was in the same spot a few months ago and opted to get a 970 for now and upgrade the RAM.

I'd recommend getting 16GB of 2400MHz RAM and a new GPU once the new cards come out, specially if you really want those high framerates (>60fps)

Did you OC your processor? Any tips/guides for that MOBO/CPU combo since ours is pretty similar?

I'm looking at upgrading my case fans. What are some high quality fans that I can use?

I've heard extremely good things about Noctua fans - run almost silently and keep a PC cool. You might not be a fan of their colour scheme though, if that kind of thing is important to you.

Anyone got any experiences with Dell Ultrasharp monitors (specifcially the S2415H or U2414H)? Thinking of upgrading in the summer from my current one, an Acer G246HYL.

Cptkrush

Anyone have Hackintosh experience? I need a desktop Mac for work, but I really want a gaming upgrade as well, so I would think killing two birds with one stone is the easiest way to do that. I have a build according to the tonymac build guide, but I'm wondering is it possible to have windows and mac coexist without bootcamp? I'm figuring the process is easier on two drives if it is possible, so I threw two SSDs as boot drives onto the build. The 3tb hd is just for the windows end for games, because I have a home server that acts as storage for my work.

I am in need of some help lads. I was playing dark souls on my PC and it froze. alt +tab gave me a black screen and task manager wouldn't show up so I restarted my PC after a while. when restarted it was stuck on the windows 10 logo screen for +10 minutes.

I shut it down and put my windows 10 CD in to see if it could repair anything. that also took 10 minutes to even show up and after clicking repair im just on a purple screen with the cursor

not even a month ago i replaced my HDD because it broke with an SSD + HDD combo. and the little light on my case indicating that my harddrive is in use is constantly on. is this another hard drive problem? im going insane right now.

If you reinstall Windows (clean slate, nothing on the drive but the OS) and you still have issues, it's probably an issue with the drive.

Birbo

Looking to update my current HTPC. Want a boost for comfy couch gaming at 1080p. My 7850 is really struggling with new games. What I have now:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz (not overclocked)

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155

Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Case : nMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B HTPC Case

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Thinking I just want to upgrade my card to boost my performance. My case only allows for a card less than 9.5 inches long, so my options are somewhat limited. There are versions of the 970, 390 and 390X that I could get. Hoping to get something to keep me running for a few years and for the best bang for my buck.

Any input on these cards or recommendations for a different one? Would changing cards be all I really need to do? Is my current power supply enough for a 390 card?

Know everyone is waiting for Pascal, but don't know how much it would benefit me with my size requirement and the fact I just need 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

LordAlu

Looking to update my current HTPC. Want a boost for comfy couch gaming at 1080p. My 7850 is really struggling with new games. What I have now:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz (not overclocked)

Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155

Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Case : nMEDIAPC HTPC 5000B HTPC Case

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Thinking I just want to upgrade my card to boost my performance. My case only allows for a card less than 9.5 inches long, so my options are somewhat limited. There are versions of the 970, 390 and 390X that I could get. Hoping to get something to keep me running for a few years and for the best bang for my buck.

Any input on these cards or recommendations for a different one? Would changing cards be all I really need to do? Is my current power supply enough for a 390 card?

Know everyone is waiting for Pascal, but don't know how much it would benefit me with my size requirement and the fact I just need 1080p.

Thanks in advance.
If you can afford it then the R9 390X is pretty much the best you'll get for that size limitation.

ethomaz

Banned
I'd go with the Gigabyte board

Gigabyte board

I have this Gigabyte, and it's awesome.
Gigabyte it is.

The issue now is my budget is not high enough to support my config lol

I'm thinking in use a lower CPU:

i3 6100 (my new choice?)
i5 6400 (my old choice)
i5 6600k (dream)

Or get a cheaper motherboard with H170... I don't know which better option in terms of future upgrades.

The box cooler is good? Or I need a new one? If I choose a H170 it will hold my future OC upgrades?

Thanks btw.

NOKYARD

Anyone have Hackintosh experience? I need a desktop Mac for work, but I really want a gaming upgrade as well, so I would think killing two birds with one stone is the easiest way to do that. I have a build according to the tonymac build guide, but I'm wondering is it possible to have windows and mac coexist without bootcamp? I'm figuring the process is easier on two drives if it is possible, so I threw two SSDs as boot drives onto the build. The 3tb hd is just for the windows end for games, because I have a home server that acts as storage for my work.
Very similar to my configuration. Use Clover as the bootloader (Bootcamp is not required) and stay away from tonymac.

This is where you want to find your answers. Use his guide and follow it to the letter. You will not be disappointed.

Is there any reason to get one over the other between these cards?

The 380 is a bit better than the 960. If you have the money, there's no reason not to get the R9 380 instead of the 750 Ti I suggested yesterday. It's a great card for the money and you definitely get your money's worth for the extra cash spent over the 750 Ti.

Rizific

will there be any appreciable difference between ddr3 1600 vs 2133? currently have 8gb of ddr3, thinking of adding another 4x2 for ~$40 for a total of 16gb. 16gb of ddr3 would cost ~$75. or should i not even bother and just upgrade ram when i move to a new socket (currently on a 2500k) and go with ddr4?

Lunar FC

Hey guys, I am replacing my busted motherboard today with the same one and have questions. It's something I've never had to do before so I'm unsure of the issues I may run into getting win10 to run off the new mobo.

I'm assuming I can't just plug it in and it will run, nothing is ever easy with this new rig. Will I have to somehow remove my current copy from my pc now and reinstall for the new mobo?

Any responses would be awesome, thanks!

Madn

The 380 is a bit better than the 960. If you have the money, there's no reason not to get the R9 380 instead of the 750 Ti I suggested yesterday. It's a great card for the money and you definitely get your money's worth for the extra cash spent over the 750 Ti.

Thanks again! R9 380 it is :)

Feel free to ask me any Hackintoth questions, I have quite a bit of experience now.

As you surmised, you're going to want to put Windows and OS X on physically separate discs. This is not technically required but it will save you a crap ton of headaches.

For whatever it's worth... I don't necessarily want to tell you not to use Tony's tools, because it's a good resource and his programs do make things slightly easier, but be aware that Tony is not well liked by a sizable portion of the Hackintosh developer community, and there are thus some places that will refuse to help you if you're using his stuff. I'd recommend just doing everything through Clover.

NOKYARD

Thanks for the advice, I am gonna load MacOS using the above method onto my current build now to see how it all works before I buy the new rig. This is exciting

Here's another bit of advice. Add a small FAT32 partition (i use 40GB) to the Windows SSD for extremely fast file transfers between the 2 OSs.

Here's another bit of advice. Add a small FAT32 partition (i use 40GB) to the Windows SSD for extremely fast file transfers between the 2 OSs.

Fwiw, another option is to spend $20 on Paragon's commercial NTFS drivers. Yes, it's paid, but they work really well and make life soooo much more convenient. I wish I'd bought them years ago.

Do you have dualboot for Windows and OSX? I've been reading about this matter for a week or so but the guides I found only cover Haswell or more recent architectures and Im on Ivy Bridge.

No guide necessary. Install Mac first, disconnect the Mac hard drive, install Windows normally, then reconnect the Mac hard drive.
Or install Windows first and do the opposite with OS X.

With any luck, the Windows hard drive will show up automatically in Clover when you're done. If that doesn't happen, you can always go through the boot menu in your BIOS. (Or add the entries to Clover manually... it's a pretty easy fix).

Cptkrush

I'm following the guide from the guy you linked, and I'm not really sure which plist to use for an i5-2500k? my choices seem to be Haswell X99 and X79, and I'm having a hard time finding info on which one is which, obviously Haswell is for Haswell chips.

Also this guide seems really incomplete. It's asking me to copy KEXT files from a source to the efi folder but the source of the KEXT files is not specified or mentioned at all

tariniel

I'm noticing more and more that my shit is old. I built this machine when Tera came out in the US (May 2012), so it's actually lasted me quite a while. I think I've only added an extra 8GB ram and a better SSD since then.

i5 2500k OC to ~4.1ghz
GTX 680
16gb DDR3
Win10 pro x64

My primary monitor is 1440p @ 60hz, and I can't run most games at 1440p anymore. Dark Souls 3 is unplayable at 1440, and Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct both also chug at that res. I'm fine with playing at 1080 but it still feels bad. Shit I even had to turn down settings in WoW and FFXIV when I played those recently.

When's a good time to upgrade? Should I just upgrade to a 980 TI and leave the rest? Or is a complete rebuild a better idea? I'm not going to say that cost isn't a factor, but I'm prepared to rebuild the internals to last me another few years. I really like the Fractal case though, and my SSD/HDD's are fine too.

ethomaz

Banned
I was trying to find a cheaper Gigabyte mobo than Z170-Gaming 3 but I could find here in Brazil any H170.

The most cheaper Z170 I found was R$900 while the Gaming 3 is R$1000.

The difference is so small that I will buy the Z170-Gaming 3.

Now processor time.

I'm following the guide from the guy you linked, and I'm not really sure which plist to use for an i5-2500k? my choices seem to be Haswell X99 and X79, and I'm having a hard time finding info on which one is which, obviously Haswell is for Haswell chips.

If the guide is making you choose between X99 and X79, follow the instructions for X79 with your processor. Of the two, it's closer.

I know people like guides for Hackintosh, and they can be great if you're getting started, but don't be afraid to try stuff out either. IE, choose a config.plist and see what happens. It will either boot up or it won't, and in the latter case you can use verbose mode to see what's wrong, and go from there. It won't make your computer explode.

Someone ought to make a dedicated Hackintosh thread in OT. I'm too lazy to write up an OP but I would be super into helping people through this kind of thing.

Canklestank

Neo Member

Also this guide seems really incomplete. It's asking me to copy KEXT files from a source to the efi folder but the source of the KEXT files is not specified or mentioned at all

The source of the kext files is mentioned in the next sentence but it's not super clear. Download that zip to find the kexts.

Someone ought to make a dedicated Hackintosh thread in OT. I'm too lazy to write up an OP but I would be super into helping people through this kind of thing.

That would be awesome, and a big help when I attempt one next year.

Flaxh

Thanks!!!! You're the man.

Np! Tell us how it went.

If the guide is making you choose between X99 and X79, follow the instructions for X79 with your processor. Of the two, it's closer.

I know people like guides for Hackintosh, and they can be great if you're getting started, but don't be afraid to try stuff out either. IE, choose a config.plist and see what happens. It will either boot up or it won't, and in the latter case you can use verbose mode to see what's wrong, and go from there. It won't make your computer explode.

That would be awesome!! I already have Windows installed on the SSD, so should I get another one and install OSX on it without my SSD connected and then turn on everything? Btw this may seem like a very newbie question but how exactly do I get OSX? I know it's a free OS for those that have previous versions, so should I buy this one, install and then upgrade it?

Cptkrush

Np! Tell us how it went.

That would be awesome!! I already have Windows installed on the SSD, so should I get another one and install OSX on it without my SSD connected and then turn on everything? Btw this may seem like a very newbie question but how exactly do I get OSX? I know it's a free OS for those that have previous versions, so should I buy this one, install and then upgrade it?

Not really sure cause I'm new to this as well, but I believe you need a system running MacOS already to get started. I could be way wrong though.

Reposting:..

Thinking of buying a new monitor for my setup.

Current Setup:

PSU Seasonic 620 Bronze
8x2 Corsair Vengeance Series 16gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H,
Samsung 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HD,
CPU Cooler Hyper Cooler 212
VGA EVGA GTX 670
Intel Processor i7-3770k
Asus VE247 Monitor x 2

Will probably buy a new Video Card soon Any recommendations would be appreciated as well (Price Range Anything less than the Titan.. that is too expensive..)

For the monitor
Size: preferably 27 inches? bigger then my other monitors
Budget for Monitor : $400 (preferably) Can + $100
Purpose: Gaming
IPS/TN/VA: Honestly not sure which to choose..
144hz,120hz,60hz: 144hz or 120hz
GSync or FreeSync: I do have a nvidia card right now and may upgrade to a new n-vidia card so probably GSync unless its past my budget.

Flaxh

Current Setup:

PSU Seasonic 620 Bronze
VGA EVGA GTX 670
Intel Processor i7-3770k
Asus VE247 Monitor x 2

Will probably buy a new Video Card soon Any recommendations would be appreciated as well (Price Range Anything less than the Titan.. that is too expensive..)

For the monitor
GSync or FreeSync: I do have a nvidia card right now and may upgrade to a new n-vidia card so probably GSync unless its past my budget.

This one? Seems to fit your criteria

That would be awesome!! I already have Windows installed on the SSD, so should I get another one and install OSX on it without my SSD connected and then turn on everything?
Yep! Actually, when you install OS X, you don't even really need to unplug the Windows disk, but it's a good way to make 100% sure you can't format your Windows drive by accident.

When you install Windows, you HAVE to unplug the OS X hard drive, because Windows has control issues and likes to overwrite the bootloader on all connected disks. It's really annoying.

Btw this may seem like a very newbie question but how exactly do I get OSX? I know it's a free OS for those that have previous versions, so should I buy this one, install and then upgrade it?

The easiest way by far is if you can get your hands on a real Mac or another Hackintosh system. Borrow from a friend or something. This will allow you to download the OS through the Mac App Store, AND will make Clover much easier to set up.

The alternative is, as you surmised, to get a retail copy of Snow Leopard (not all that easy these days), install it, and then upgrade from there. To put it bluntly, this sucks. Snow Leopard does not like modern CPU's or motherboards, so getting it to run (even partly) is often more difficult than getting, say, El Capitan to boot.

tl;dr make friends with someone who has a Mac :p

Edit: Y'know what? I'm going to start work on a Hackintosh OT. I have some free time today. Actually no I don't but I'm procrastinating so I may well be productive in another sense.

SOLDIER

So what are some good (and ideally cheap) SSD recommendations?

Is there also a way to find out if I've got space to insert another hard drive in my PC without actually opening it up?

garath

Current Setup:

PSU Seasonic 620 Bronze
VGA EVGA GTX 670
Intel Processor i7-3770k
Asus VE247 Monitor x 2

For the monitor
Size: preferably 27 inches? bigger then my other monitors

I will share my thoughts and choice with you. I am in a similar boat and have been researching for a week or so now. I've come to the conclusion that variable sync is awesome and the future but it's not in a great spot right now. I don't like the three competing technologies. I don't like that two of them are directly tied to a brand. I dont like how expensive they are.

For the price (my budget is exactly the same at $400) and my needs I decided 144hz and size are most important. I don't want to go to 1440p yet since I don't want to sacrifice framerate to get there.

So my top choice is this benQ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFNMJS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has stellar reviews. It seems to have the best colors for a TN screen and the best response time of any monitors out there. Unless you want to spend $200 more then you won't be getting gsync at that size unfortunately.

Flaxh

So my top choice is this benQ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWFNMJS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has stellar reviews. It seems to have the best colors for a TN screen and the best response time of any monitors out there. Unless you want to spend $200 more then you won't be getting gsync at that size unfortunately.

Thanks for the response. However i was hoping to get a bigger monitor. Do you know anything about BenQ's? are they any good?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWFNMJS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Funny how you guys linked the same monitor! :D That BenQ looks good so it's probably a matter of screen size vs gsync for both of you.

Edit: Y'know what? I'm going to start work on a Hackintosh OT. I have some free time today. Actually no I don't but I'm procrastinating so I may well be productive in another sense.

Haha, good luck with the OT then! I'll be waiting for the link.

I never thought I would need another Mac device tbh because the main reason I've been reading about Hackintosh is that I dont have OSX and I'd realy like to have access to it due to things like iOs app development.

Alright, I have a few friends with Mac so I'll try to get it from one of them.

So the Sapphire R9 390 I wanted to get is out of stock everywhere. Anyone know whether these things are usually back in stock relatively quickly?

If not, can anyone recommend a different version of the 390? I know the MSI one is popular, but I really don't like the red all over that one.

I have the sapphire one with backplate. It's huge though since it's a triple fan card. It performs great. I have an NZXT S340 as well so fitting that giant shouldn't be a problem.

STEALTH EDIT: didn't notice that you stated that the Sapphire one is out of stock.

I'm looking at upgrading my case fans. What are some high quality fans that I can use?
Noctua fans are best fans in the business. They're pretty expensive though.

I have thermaltake riings both 140 and 120. They get the job done cooling my pc and making my room hot.

Corsair SP and AF series are great too.

catabarez

I have the sapphire one with backplate. It's huge though since it's a triple fan card. It performs great. I have an NZXT S340 as well so fitting that giant shouldn't be a problem.

Noctua fans are best fans in the business. They're pretty expensive though.

I have thermaltake riings both 140 and 120. They get the job done cooling my pc and making my room hot.

Corsair SP and AF series are great too.

I've heard extremely good things about Noctua fans - run almost silently and keep a PC cool. You might not be a fan of their colour scheme though, if that kind of thing is important to you.

Anyone got any experiences with Dell Ultrasharp monitors (specifcially the S2415H or U2414H)? Thinking of upgrading in the summer from my current one, an Acer G246HYL.

Looks like they come in black now. I may get these, unfortunately the largest one they have is a 140mm. Are there any good 200mm fans?

So what are some good (and ideally cheap) SSD recommendations?

Is there also a way to find out if I've got space to insert another hard drive in my PC without actually opening it up?

The Crucial BX100 ($50 for 120GB) and Samsung 850 EVO ($86 for 250GB) are the SSDs I would recommend, based on your space needs of course.

There's no magic way to know if you have the space without opening it up. What you need is the physical space to install a drive (preferably in a tray or other designated location in your case), the proper cable, and an available SATA port on your motherboard.

SOLDIER

The Crucial BX100 ($50 for 120GB) and Samsung 850 EVO ($86 for 250GB) are the SSDs I would recommend, based on your space needs of course.

There's no magic way to know if you have the space without opening it up. What you need is the physical space to install a drive (preferably in a tray or other designated location in your case), the proper cable, and an available SATA port on your motherboard.

If it turns out I lack space, do they sell extension cords/ports? What about external SSDs?

Also, is there a way I could move the contents of my primary drive to the new SSD without having to reset my Windows settings?

Lunar FC

Hey guys, I am replacing my busted motherboard today with the same one and have questions. It's something I've never had to do before so I'm unsure of the issues I may run into getting win10 to run off the new mobo.

I'm assuming I can't just plug it in and it will run, nothing is ever easy with this new rig. Will I have to somehow remove my current copy from my pc now and reinstall for the new mobo?

Any responses would be awesome, thanks!

Anybody? :/

Canklestank

Neo Member

There actually seems to be a recent OT Hackintosh thread, it's just not very active.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172849

It sounds like you're creating something awesome though, so maybe the OP can quote you or you can work something out with a mod.

Looks like they come in black now. I may get these, unfortunately the largest one they have is a 140mm. Are there any good 200mm fans?

Beware, the black ones don't come with all the bells and whistles that Noctua's normally come with. You have to pay extra for vibration pads, for instance. Also, there's no NF-F12 in black. Also, don't buy the server fans, they're noisy.

I don't know anything about 200mm fans, but this might be a good place to start researching: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case-fan/#s=200&sort=d7&page=1

Anybody? :/

Did you get Windows 10 from the free upgrade? Or did you buy it? I might be wrong, but I think if it's the former, you'll have to buy a new copy.

Possibly stupid question whilst I wait for my next payday before I buy a Hyper 212 EVO, but are there multiple ways to arrange it? Every depiction of its setup shows the fan pointing towards the RAM. Problem is, my sticks have particularly large heat-sinks that will without question get in the way, and all things considered I'd rather have the heat pushed out towards my case's rear exhaust fan instead.

Elitist1945

Possibly stupid question whilst I wait for my next payday before I buy a Hyper 212 EVO, but are there multiple ways to arrange it? Every depiction of its setup shows the fan pointing towards the RAM. Problem is, my sticks have particularly large heat-sinks that will without question get in the way, and all things considered I'd rather have the heat pushed out towards my case's rear exhaust fan instead.

I have it facing towards the rear of my case and everythings gone smooth so far.

catabarez

Beware, the black ones don't come with all the bells and whistles that Noctua's normally come with. You have to pay extra for vibration pads, for instance. Also, there's no NF-F12 in black. Also, don't buy the server fans, they're noisy.

I don't know anything about 200mm fans, but this might be a good place to start researching: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case-fan/#s=200&sort=d7&page=1

I was actually looking at the PPC line. Those seem to come with vibration pads.

Are those noisy?

garath

Push will cool better than pull. It's why I always get low profile RAM. Those giant heatsinks are mostly cosmetic anyways.

That said you can put it as pull on the other side if you need to. Just won't be as effective.

ahoyle77

Need some help. Sure there is a better place to ask, but...playing 2 player rocket league with my son on his pc. After 2 games it crashed and now will not power on at all. Yesterday it crashed like this and we restarted a minute later with no issues. Its like the system is getting no power. So where do I start? PSU?

It never crashed 1 player. Sure I just fried something. Its been about 30 mins and no improvement.

Edit...just tried again and the power hits for like half a second, enough for the mouse to briefly light up and a fan make half a spin. Then shuts down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom