• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Found it.

So, my Phanteks intake fan isn't working. Gonna have to RMA it. Just using the H115i as intake and I have my 140mm exhaust.

Quick and dirty overclock:

Core i7 6700K
4.6GHz
1.36V max seen under CPU-Z. Generally around 1.326V at most.
IBT reports 60C max
Fan speeds at 800RPM. Decently quiet.

Not too bad. I think I got a decent chip. Won't bother pushing the OC too much until I get an intake and maybe until I replace the Corsair fans on the H115i...these are a little loud at high RPM.

TheExodu5

Banned
Okay, I'm getting a bit greedier. But damn I'm happy with this.

4.7GHz @ 1.36V max. Temps under 70C.

Running a barely audible system.

4.8GHz seems a lot tougher. I need to go above 1.4V. If I were to up my cooling a bit, I'm sure I could do it no problem, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I think I should be happy with this. :D

Levyne

Banned
Hi all. I'm interested in changing my monitor/ speaker set up. I hope I have some good questions here:

I have for the last like 4 years run a Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" with attached sound bar for the ultrasharp. This is a 1920x1200, 60 hz monitor.

I was interested in both upgrading my monitor, as well as going from a single monitor setup to a dual monitor setup. (Maybe up to 3 in the future).

My question is this basically: I want a nice gaming quality monitor and I really want gsync. I dont think I need 4k but I would at least like 1440p. I'm worried that if I get 4k my cost is going to inflate exponentally (both for the monitors and to refresh my gpu setup to really take advantage). I think i would be interested in a higher refresh rate. So a 1440p, 144hz g sync monitor of good quality/color (IPS?) I don't care a ton about input lag but the less the better.

• If I want a two monitor setup, if a high quality monitor is too costly to feasibly buy two, would there be any way to pair two monitors where one is for gaming and one is for browsing? Like would pairing a 1440p monitor with a 1080p 60hz monitor of the same size/brand be okay? Or would this just make things look macguvered.
  • Or are there two good quality monitors that match this sort of idea (high refresh, gsync) that I could feasibly get two identical ones and it not be an issue?

Lets say my budget is ballpark 1000 USD.

And what are some decent speakers? I'm not picky on these at all since I use my headphones 90% of the time. I currently use a Xonar sound card that both my headphones (the larger plugs, 6. something mm?) and current speakers (the regular aux ones) are plugged into.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hi all. I'm interested in changing my monitor/ speaker set up. I hope I have some good questions here:

I have for the last like 4 years run a Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" with attached sound bar for the ultrasharp. This is a 1920x1200, 60 hz monitor.

I was interested in both upgrading my monitor, as well as going from a single monitor setup to a dual monitor setup. (Maybe up to 3 in the future).

My question is this basically: I want a nice gaming quality monitor and I really want gsync. I dont think I need 4k but I would at least like 1440p. I'm worried that if I get 4k my cost is going to inflate exponentally (both for the monitors and to refresh my gpu setup to really take advantage). I think i would be interested in a higher refresh rate. So a 1440p, 144hz g sync monitor of good quality/color (IPS?) I don't care a ton about input lag but the less the better.

• If I want a two monitor setup, if a high quality monitor is too costly to feasibly buy two, would there be any way to pair two monitors where one is for gaming and one is for browsing? Like would pairing a 1440p monitor with a 1080p 60hz monitor of the same size/brand be okay? Or would this just make things look macguvered.
  • Or are there two good quality monitors that match this sort of idea (high refresh, gsync) that I could feasibly get two identical ones and it not be an issue?

Lets say my budget is ballpark 1000 USD.

And what are some decent speakers? I'm not picky on these at all since I use my headphones 90% of the time. I currently use a Xonar sound card that both by headphones (the larger plugs, 6. something mm?) and current speakers (the regular aux ones) are plugged into.

Asus PG279Q:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MATCH&Description=asus+pg279q&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Acer Predator XB271:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=27"_1440p_g-sync-_-24-106-004-_-Product

Either of those if you want IPS, and then get a cheaper 60Hz monitor. Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=27"_ips_monitor-_-24-014-383-_-Product

You get a 1080p 27" monitor for less than $200, but if it were me, I'd want the resolutions to match if possible.

Just wanted to post this somewhere on the internet, so that maybe someone can find it on a Google search. I wasted many hours over this a couple of weekends ago.

If you are having trouble getting nVidia 3DTV Play to recognize your screen's capabilities, and you are using a HDMI Matrix, the HDMI Matrix is probably the culprit!

What I needed to do was:
1) Connect my screen (or projector, in my case) directly to my PC
2) Extract the EDID override using Monitor Asset Manager
3) Reconnect the HDMI Matrix
4) Install the EDID override I extracted earlier.

Using third party EDID's did not work. 3DTVPlay was recognized, but it wouldn't display a stereoscopic image.

Levyne

Banned
Asus PG279Q:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MATCH&Description=asus+pg279q&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Acer Predator XB271:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=27"_1440p_g-sync-_-24-106-004-_-Product

Either of those if you want IPS, and then get a cheaper 60Hz monitor. Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=27"_ips_monitor-_-24-014-383-_-Product

You get a 1080p 27" monitor for less than $200, but if it were me, I'd want the resolutions to match if possible.

Hmm yea I was wondering how mismatched resolutions would work. Ill make sure to keep them the same.

And a combination like that would put me somewhere right around the 1000 dollar mark, perfect.

Would getting an acer like this to match with the predator be feasible? I kinda want the brands to match, lol. I can't imagine it being an issue but it was interesting that you linked to another brand for your suggestion for a 60 hz monitor.

I appreciate the answer!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just bought a 1440p monitor in preparation for Pascal. Probably gonna be doing a pretty big upgrade soon.

My 2500k probably needs to be upgraded, and I only have 8GB RAM. I'm probably going to wait a bit on the CPU (I'm trying to buy one major upgrade a month), is there anything I need to know? Like any new technology to look out for? Or deals at a certain time of year?

The 6600k / 6700k skylake cpus came out recently so if you want a quad-core cpu for gaming then now's a great time to jump in.
If you want a 6/8/10 core machine then new Broadwell-E cpu's will be releasing relatively soon so I would wait on those rather than scooping a 5820k / 5830k.

Wag

Giving my friend an old Q9550 tower I have lying around. GTX 295. I overclocked it to 3.4GHz. I guess that's about as good as I'm going to get it.

How are the EVGA power supplies? I think it's time for a new one. I was thinking about going Corsair again, but I've been looking at other brands. Considering how long I've had this one, it's the one PC component I don't want to replace too often.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just bought a 1440p monitor in preparation for Pascal. Probably gonna be doing a pretty big upgrade soon.

My 2500k probably needs to be upgraded, and I only have 8GB RAM. I'm probably going to wait a bit on the CPU (I'm trying to buy one major upgrade a month), is there anything I need to know? Like any new technology to look out for? Or deals at a certain time of year?

I just upgraded from a 2500K to a 6700K.

Honestly, I think it was foolish of me financially, but I'm greedy. The 2500K is still really strong and by all indications, most games are not CPU bound by a 2500K with a moderate overclock.

That being said, just looking at my processes running, I have a feeling VR uses a lot of CPU, and I wanted to increase my minimum frames as best as I could. And well...it's been 5 years since I built a new PC...I was itching for it.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
How are the EVGA power supplies? I think it's time for a new one. I was thinking about going Corsair again, but I've been looking at other brands. Considering how long I've had this one, it's the one PC component I don't want to replace too often.

They are rated pretty highly on JonnyGuru and the one I bought came with a 10-year warranty after registering. I have the EVGA 850w Supernova for reference.

Honestly, I think it was foolish of me financially, but I'm greedy. The 2500K is still really strong and by all indications, most games are not CPU bound by a 2500K with a moderate overclock.

That being said, just looking at my processes running, I have a feeling VR uses a lot of CPU, and I wanted to increase my minimum frames as best as I could. And well...it's been 5 years since I built a new PC...I was itching for it.

I did the same thing even after my friends told me that I shouldn't. I will say that my minimum frames are much improved after upgrading. I always stay above 100fps in black ops 3 multiplayer as an example where before it would drop on the 2500k. It really depends on what kind of games you play. Since I have a 144hz/1440p monitor and play competitively, it helps to have as much performance as possible. It's also nice to have a M.2 slot for a 950 Pro SSD on the motherboard.

Still Rocking my 2500k. but Not for long.
I just pulled the trigger too but it's because UE4 SDK was starting to be sketchy on my PC.
And the fact that I had issues with upping my ram on my board made me pull the trigger.

rrs

Hmm yea I was wondering how mismatched resolutions would work. Ill make sure to keep them the same.
I have mismatched resolutions on my two monitor setup, you can adjust the position of the monitors in display settings easily although it is not good for any multi-monitor gaming

Quonny

CPU will probably be the last thing I upgrade.

Especially since I just overclocked it for the first time ever.

imanoobdontgetmad

Igo

4690K vs 6600K worth the £100 cost difference? Any guesses of how big a fps difference there would be with a 1070 at 1440p?

Is there anything cheaper than the Asus Z170-A that overclocks well?

LordAlu

4690K vs 6600K worth the £100 cost difference? Any guesses of how big a fps difference there would be with a 1070 at 1440p?

Is there anything cheaper than the Asus Z170-A that overclocks well?
£100 difference?? Pretty much everywhere I look they're either the same price or there's about a ~£10 difference.

Bloodember

Got home today and my computer won't turn on. I can get it to windows then it just shuts off. I've reset the bios and when in the bios computer monitor will just shut off, then after a few minutes computer shuts down. It will also boot with and screen shuts off. Pretty sure it's the power supply. My Temps are fine, I'm using nzxt water cooling on my cpu and gpu and the pumps are on. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Roarer

I need a new monitor. I'm looking to replace my 1920x1200 Dell with a 16:9 monitor (I want to be able to use consoles on the monitor and my current one doesn't support pixel mapping).

I'm in a bit of a pickle in terms of what resolution to go with; 1080p or 1440p.

I have a 970/2500k@4.5Ghz that I won't be upgrading for another year or so. How well would I be able to run modern games at 1440p? I'm thinking that a 1440p monitor would be a better long term investment, but if it means running games at sub 30 fps until I upgrade my rig it doesn't seem worth it.

Vuze

I need a new monitor. I'm looking to replace my 1920x1200 Dell with a 16:9 monitor (I want to be able to use consoles on the monitor and my current one doesn't support pixel mapping).

I'm in a bit of a pickle in terms of what resolution to go with; 1080p or 1440p.

I have a 970/2500k@4.5Ghz that I won't be upgrading for another year or so. How well would I be able to run modern games at 1440p? I'm thinking that a 1440p monitor would be a better long term investment, but if it means running games at sub 30 fps until I upgrade my rig it doesn't seem worth it.
Also got a 970 and a 1440p for almost a year now and it's been okay but certainly started to get worse in terms of performance/image quality settings in the past months. If you go 1440p Gsync it should be feasible to hold out for the 1080Ti or whatever comes next year provided you can deal with dialed back settings (or 1080p windowed / upscaled).

Bankoiia

Long time Mac-user looking into building his first PC. Intended to be used for gaming and some light video editing:

Chassi: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: Fractal Design Integra M 750w, Bronze, Semi-modular
CPU: i7-6700K, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
MB: ASUS Z170-E, Socket-1151
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 980, 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO, 250GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4, 2133Mhz 16GB

Anything I should be aware of or switch out? I might look into OC down the road, but no SLI. Would a 600w PSU be sufficient for this build?

LordAlu

Long time Mac-user looking into building his first PC. Intended to be used for gaming and some light video editing:

Anything I should be aware of or switch out? I might look into OC down the road, but no SLI. Would a 600w PSU be sufficient for this build?
A smaller, more efficient power supply would be good, yeah. Something like the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 would be perfect.

I'd also recommend waiting a little just to see what NVIDIA announce today:

0273244d-1155-4940-bd17-21d07fe0c0ec.jpg

Guys, I bought a Logitech G500 a few years back and it's served me well. Its been having spells of double clicking and misclicking for the past 6 months every once in a while. I've finally had it as I'm trying to do vector work and its making my job ten times harder.

I remember hearing Logitech offered lifetime warranty on their products, is this correct or did I mishear it?

If not, are there any good/cheapish (under £30) alternatives I could get?

DjRalford

We went through this a few weeks ago. You can use an active adapter but there is a bit of lag with those devices so it's no good for gaming.

[edit] Be careful when purchasing an adapter, many claim HDMI 2.0 but only support HDMI 1.4 bandwidth.

Just bit the bullet and ordered the right cable, no point potentially degrading the experience.

Edit-
Was playing GTA V this morning, I get a locked 30fps at 4K, very high everything, extended view distance 50% 16x AF.

The nano is staying at 1040mhz 80% of the time with the average speed 998mhz according to the GPU-Z log, managed a 4% over clock with just 35% power increase, core at a max temp of 72c so I reckon I have some overhead to bump a couple of settings up.

For such a diddy card I'm impressed, unlocking v sync fraps runs between 40 and 55fps, which I don't get as my TV can only output it at 30hz at the moment, but the core speed actually drops off more to average 900mhz and the fans ramp up to max with temp upto 78c.

Happy with 30fps locked though.

Anyone else running a nano + 4790k? What settings do you use?

Setup my steamlink and controller upstairs too, I knew it was a good idea to wire a network upstairs, so I can play my PC in bed!

Question re. Windows 10 Upgrade: I buy Windows 7 Ultime key on the internet, install it. I then upgrade to Windows 10 and activate it.

Does MS
a) create and offer me a new key for my Windows 10 installation
b) turn my key into a Windows 10 key that no longer activates Windows 7
c) turn my key into a Windows 7/10 key so that I can delete Windows 10 and activate a copy of Windows 7 with it, and presumably reinstall Windows 10 a year down the line?

LordAlu

Question re. Windows 10 Upgrade: I buy Windows 7 Ultime key on the internet, install it. I then upgrade to Windows 10 and activate it.

Does MS
a) create and offer me a new key for my Windows 10 installation
b) turn my key into a Windows 10 key that no longer activates Windows 7
c) turn my key into a Windows 7/10 key so that I can delete Windows 10 and activate a copy of Windows 7 with it, and presumably reinstall Windows 10 a year down the line?
  • Your Windows 7 Ultimate installation would be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
  • Your Windwos 7 Ultimate key would be upgraded to a Windows 10 Key.
  • You would no longer be able to use the key to install Windows 7 Ultimate.
  • Your Windows 10 would be tied to the base hardware of your machine. Replacing too much hardware or attempting to install Windows 10 Pro using your key on a different machine will not activate.

kennah

I'm returning the monitor. I love gsync and I love the ips and I love the 27" of 1440p. But I'm a long way away from upgrading my 670 and I don't $600 love it.

Been a sweet few days though.

garath

I'm returning the monitor. I love gsync and I love the ips and I love the 27" of 1440p. But I'm a long way away from upgrading my 670 and I don't $600 love it.

Been a sweet few days though.

I just pulled the trigger on a 27" 1080p, 144hz monitor. $359. I don't like the state of variable sync, I think it's too expensive for gsync and it locks you in to nvidia but I don't even have an AMD card even if I wanted freesync for the lower price tag.

I also went 1080p because I still value framerate and I feel I can always downsample if I'm that far ahead of the curve. Even with a 970 I don't feel like 1440p would perform where I'd want it to be.

For the price, the performance and size, I went with the benQ xl2720z.

Hopefully in a few years by the time I'm ready to upgrade my monitor again, variable refresh is more of a standard and more affordable. I can't see myself paying $600+ for a monitor. Even $359 took me awhile to mentally justify.

So I'm looking to get a sound card for my PC as I've recently been using it in my living room and want to take advantage of the 5.1 setup. The receiver is quite old so only accepts optical input - what are my options? I looked at the Xonar DGX in the OP but research said something about it not supporting 5.1 in games... so I would really appreciate any advice on the subject, or recommendations!

wowzors

I started by order a h110i gtx water cooler today. Energy has it on sale for 79.99, with a $20 MIR from corsair. Seems like a solid deal.

Now the question is 6700k now or broadwell-e , basically x99 or z170.

Trojan

Question for PC GAF:

I want to buy a cooling system so I can start overclocking my new rig, and I need suggestions. Quick stats on my new rig:
(stock HP Envy 750se system)
-i7 6700k CPU
-Nvidia 980ti GPU
-24GB RAM
-850W EVGA power supply (was a shitty stock 500W PU)

I want to do reasonable overclocking to my GPU and CPU, mainly just to have fun tweaking and also get some free performance. I'm not looking to push my luck with some massive overclock, so I know I need some additional cooling but nothing crazy. I also do not know my current temps - I can't check this but it's a stock rig from HP so assume my current solution is just enough to get by now.

Here are some other quick criteria:
-price isn't a huge deal, but I do want the best value for what I need
-Looks do not matter to me at all, but noise does. I would like to not have much additional noise, so I've been looking a water cooling systems.
-ease of installing is more important to me because I'm somewhat new to PC tweaking and would rather not jack up my brand new computer

What are your suggestions and what are my constraints for this? Is it just size-based constraints for what I want, or is there some compatibility with heat-sinks I should know about?

kennah

I just pulled the trigger on a 27" 1080p, 144hz monitor. $359. I don't like the state of variable sync, I think it's too expensive for gsync and it locks you in to nvidia but I don't even have an AMD card even if I wanted freesync for the lower price tag.

I also went 1080p because I still value framerate and I feel I can always downsample if I'm that far ahead of the curve. Even with a 970 I don't feel like 1440p would perform where I'd want it to be.

For the price, the performance and size, I went with the benQ xl2720z.

Hopefully in a few years by the time I'm ready to upgrade my monitor again, variable refresh is more of a standard and more affordable. I can't see myself paying $600+ for a monitor. Even $359 took me awhile to mentally justify.
That monitor is $499 in Canada, I paid $483 plus tax and a DP to mDP cable for this Acer XB270HU. Uuurggghh... maybe I should just keep it.

garath

My wife is enjoying watching my agony. I guess I could just write it off as a business expense :p (It will be legitimately used for work)

My wife said "didn't you just buy a monitor?". It was 3 years ago and a $120 60hz 24" TN panel. -_-

Honestly I agonized over the gysnc thing for weeks. I just couldn't justify the price to myself. Anything under $400 would be the same 24" I already had and the benQ i decided on was reviewed so well.

For the price and what you got I'd probably keep the thing :) variable refresh really is cool and will offset the 1440p performance issues you'll have with the 670 (heck, ID have them on the 970) and you'll be in good shape with your next nvidia card.

kennah

My wife said "didn't you just buy a monitor?". It was 3 years ago and a $120 60hz 24" TN panel. -_-

Honestly I agonized over the gysnc thing for weeks. I just couldn't justify the price to myself. Anything under $400 would be the same 24" I already had and the benQ i decided on was reviewed so well.

For the price and what you got I'd probably keep the thing :) variable refresh really is cool and will offset the 1440p performance issues you'll have with the 670 (heck, ID have them on the 970) and you'll be in good shape with your next nvidia card.

Thankfully my 670 is a 4Gig. Borderlands performs amazingly well. Everything else looks and performs pretty decent at 1600x900. Haven't sat down and overclocked my GPU yet. Should be able to get a bunch more performance out of it (full loop watercooled).

Vuze

Just need to cover up the front half and bottom PSU area and things will be ace...
Looks wicked, nice job!

What will you be using to cover the PSU area? My case got some cheap plastic shrouds with it but they are poorly thought out and thanks to the new PCI fan controller and the inherent cable mess, I'd love to have a better alternative.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I have a 3570k and 970 with a 3440x1440 monitor and it's generally playing things on high settings. For really pretty games I'll accept 30fps but generally it's fine. If you upgrade in a year I think you'd regret going 1080p now. Also 1440p lets you get a nice 27"+ monitor which also benefits Windows desktop real estate. I tried a 27" 1080p and it was nice for games, but Windows felt too big

paskowitz

Looks wicked, nice job!

What will you be using to cover the PSU area? My case got some cheap plastic shrouds with it but they are poorly thought out and thanks to the new PCI fan controller and the inherent cable mess, I'd love to have a better alternative.

Thanks!

I am having some custom acrylic sheets made. I will then likely cover them with vinyl wrap.

The final result should be a combination of these two builds...

The bottom portion:

The right side portion:

The bottom part will extend all the way to the Swiftech H240-X and the right part will cover the 5.25 bays.

I also plan on having this backplate made:

Everything will fit in your case, but if this is your first PC and you want to make it easier for yourself I can highly recommend the Fractal Define XL R2. It also come in the 3 same colors. It's a tad bigger and has more room to work in. It's nice to have more room to work in for your first PC:)

If I had to recommend a cooler, I would recommend Noctua DH-15. It's sick. Just needs to make sure you get low profile ram (LPR).

Vuze

If I had to recommend a cooler, I would recommend Noctua DH-15. It's sick. Just needs to make sure you get low profile ram (LPR).
Maybe also a second person to help. I had a hard time installing the DH-14 on my own (ATX Mobo) and the 15 seems even larger and bulkier.
Thanks!

I am having some custom acrylic sheets made. I will then likely cover them with vinyl wrap.
Woah nice. I should check out where I can get a custom shroud made around here.
Also need sleeving equip and mats for the SATA data cables and fan extensions... and actually a full set of white sleeved power cables would be nice too lol. This windowed build gets more expensive every day :x

Going to be upgrading to a 1080 on this system. Wondering if I need to worry about anything else bottlenecking, or can I just swap out my GPUs?

CPU: i5 2500k @4.4ghz
RAM: 12gb DDR3 1333mhz
GPU: GTX 570

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm thinking others might be wondering the same with their system as well.

With recent news about the 1080 I decided to cancel my HP PC order and build a computer instead. Since the 1080 won't launch till later this month, what components can I buy now so I'll be ready?

I never built a PC before and this will be my first real step into PC gaming so I would very much appreciate any help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom