• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catabarez

Maybe also a second person to help. I had a hard time installing the DH-14 on my own (ATX Mobo) and the 15 seems even larger and bulkier.

Really? I have the 15 and I didn't have much trouble installing it. You just need to make sure it fits in the case alright and that the motherboard is compatible. Noctua has a list on their site of which motherboards it is compatible with.

DBT85

This morning I woke up and drove to work, the furthest thing from my mind was buying new pc parts.

I bought a 2500k right when they came out and its serving me well but I've now specced out a

6700k - £270
Gigabyte Z170x-UD3 - £123
32GB Kingston Fury 2400 DDR4 - £100.

It'll run with my existing 980ti.

EDIT: And bought. Yay for 0% Paypal credit for 4 months.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yo

I've recently noticed the odd hitching in some of my games. Or I should say, more or less all of them. It's rare, but it does happen, usually when transitioning to a new area or, I assume, the system loading in new data. For example I'll notice it happen every so often in a Battlefront map, like transitioning out of a cave into a new area, or something like that.

I'm running a 980 Ti with a G-Sync monitor, and an overclocked i7 2600K. I'm wondering if maybe something on the CPU or RAM side of things is causing the brief hitching.

Any ideas? Or just tech doing the kind of stuff tech does? I guess it flags for me as a bit odd because there's no real loss of frames.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, I need a bit of advice.

My current PC:

i5-4670k
16gb ram
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Z87 motherboard
GTX 770

The BF1 announcement is starting to make me think about an upgrade...

So... Is there anything worth doing stil on a 1150 socket or should I just go for a new motherboard and an i5 6600?

Planning on keeping the RAM and probably go for a GTX 1070

Thanks!

ISee

Going to be upgrading to a 1080 on this system. Wondering if I need to worry about anything else bottlenecking, or can I just swap out my GPUs?

CPU: i5 2500k @4.4ghz
RAM: 12gb DDR3 1333mhz
GPU: GTX 570

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm thinking others might be wondering the same with their system as well.

The GPU upgrade alone will of course improve your perfromance dramatically. But if the rumors are true and a 1070 is able to outperform a Titan X upgrading you CPU in preperation for a 1080 seems like a worthwhile idea.

Even my i5 3570k@4.3 ghz (+16gb of ddr3@2400mhz) was bottlenecking my 980 in games like Just Cuase 3, Witcher 3, GTA V and Batman AA (even sometimes with ~99% CPU load) etc. Upgrading improved performance dramatically.

GTA V 3570k
GTA V 6700k

JC3 3570k
JC 3 6700k

Witcher 3 3570k
Witcher 3 6700k

Still waiting for real benchmarks before buying new stuff is always a good idea.

Oxn

The GPU upgrade alone will of course improve your perfromance dramatically. But if the rumors are true and a 1070 is able to outperform a Titan X upgrading you CPU seems like a worthwhile idea.

Even my i5 3570k@4.3 ghz (+16gb of ddr3@2400mhz) was bottlenecking my 980 in games like Just Cuase 3, Witcher 3, GTA V and Batman AA (even sometimes with ~99% CPU load) etc. Upgrading improved performance dramatically.

GTA V 3570k
GTA V 6700k

JC3 3570k
JC 3 6700k

Witcher 3 3570k
Witcher 3 6700k

Well you are comparing an i5 to an i7

ISee

Well you are comparing an i5 to an i7

I know that and that was my intention because this is how much a newer i7 will be able to outperform an older i5 (at same clockspeeds!).
He wasn't asking about i5 to i5 perfromance he was asking if something in his current build could potentially bottleneck a 1080. And I tried to show how my old i5 3570k was (already) bottlenecking my (slower) 980. He is also aiming for the new top tier high end card (at least till mid 2017). So upgrading at least to the top tier mainstream CPU out there doesn't seem to be that unreasonable.

But sure. I can disable HTT if you want to.

i5 3570k
i7 6700k
i7 6700k without HTT (so practically an i5, with more L3 Cache of course)

stef t97

Hey, I'm pretty excited by the Pascal cards coming out but I'm kinda worried about the rest of build bottlenecking it. I have a 4690k that's slightly overclocked so I don't know if this is a legitimate concern. I currently have a GTX 660 and I know the 1070 I want absolutely destroys it so I'm worried about wasting my money.

Edit: What do people think the availability will be like for the non reference design cards?

Sotha_Sil

The GPU upgrade alone will of course improve your perfromance dramatically. But if the rumors are true and a 1070 is able to outperform a Titan X upgrading you CPU in preperation for a 1080 seems like a worthwhile idea.

I notice your examples are open world games. Is that where i7 vs i5 really makes a difference, or is it just coincidence? I altered the build I listed a few days ago to upgrade to an i7 6700k. I play a lot of open world RPGs, so that would definitely make me feel better about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks!

I am having some custom acrylic sheets made. I will then likely cover them with vinyl wrap.

The final result should be a combination of these two builds...

The bottom portion:

The right side portion:

The bottom part will extend all the way to the Swiftech H240-X and the right part will cover the 5.25 bays.

I also plan on having this backplate made:

I'm drooling.

edit: is that a server board?

Trojan

Reposting from previous page since I didn't get a response...any help would be appreciated!

I want to buy a cooling system so I can start overclocking my new rig, and I need suggestions. Quick stats on my new rig:
(stock HP Envy 750se system)
-i7 6700k CPU
-Nvidia 980ti GPU
-24GB RAM
-850W EVGA power supply (was a shitty stock 500W PU)

I want to do reasonable overclocking to my GPU and CPU, mainly just to have fun tweaking and also get some free performance. I'm not looking to push my luck with some massive overclock, so I know I need some additional cooling but nothing crazy. I also do not know my current temps - I can't check this but it's a stock rig from HP so assume my current solution is just enough to get by now.

Here are some other quick criteria:
-price isn't a huge deal, but I do want the best value for what I need
-Looks do not matter to me at all, but noise does. I would like to not have much additional noise, so I've been looking a water cooling systems.
-ease of installing is more important to me because I'm somewhat new to PC tweaking and would rather not jack up my brand new computer

What are your suggestions and what are my constraints for this? Is it just size-based constraints for what I want, or is there some compatibility with heat-sinks I should know about?

ISee

I notice your examples are open world games. Is that where i7 vs i5 really makes a difference, or is it just coincidence? I altered the build I listed a few days ago to upgrade to an i7 6700k. I play a lot of open world RPGs, so that would definitely make me feel better about it.

Yes open world games seem to be CPU taxing, but an i5 6600k would give me a similar boost in perfromance. 2500k/3570k CPUs are at their limit and this isn't a very popular opinion, especially in this thread :). The increase in performance you see here is mainly because of the new skylake architecture.
I bought my 3570k in a time when most games didn't even utilize 4 threads so an i7 3770k seemed to be unreasonable. Today some games even refuse to start with just 2 cores (without HTT) and 4 threads are the bare minimum. So going for a 4 cores CPU with the ability to handle 8 threads seemed like a good idea, especially because I'm also looking to upgrade my 980 by the end of 2016 start of 2017.

If you have the time please watch both Videos from Digital Foundry. They are very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaB1dqYv_I

comparisoncpusuqyuo.jpg

Edit:
Also faster RAM seem to scale pretty well with skylake CPUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qksXthUcbiQ

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, as fucking amazing as the old i5/i7 2500K/2600K series is, I've heard several people note that more modern CPUs have real gains, especially in open world games, due to processor efficiency.

I've got an i7 2600K clocked pretty high, but even I wonder if it's holding back my 980 Ti, and with a more modern CPU if I'd remedy a lot of my on and off microstuttering issues (especially in games like Wild Hunt with all my tweaks).

shoreu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston FURY 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1334.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 10:55 EDT-0400

I Made it Guys!!!!! First PC ever.

1 issue

my WD harddrive isn't being detected for use. Like the Computer knows it's there but i can't store things there. how can i fix this.

Vuze

I Made it Guys!!!!! First PC ever.

1 issue

my WD harddrive isn't being detected for use. Like the Computer knows it's there but i can't store things there. how can i fix this.
Already formatted it properly? Check the disk management utility and format - the presumably yet unpartitioned HDD - to NTFS.

ethomaz

Banned
My PC is full running... 8s boot with Windows 10 (needed to install twice because the first I installed using MBR even using Rufus to make the pen drive boot... to make clear here you need to create the partition on pen drive using GPT before use Rufus with UEFI + GPT).

But I found a issue :(

When I choose XPS Profile 1 in my RAM to run in 3200mhz the video start to blink each 2-4 seconds.

I'm using the RAM default 2400mhz... what I can try to do to fix it?

PS. GA-Z170x-Gaming 5 is the most awesome mobo I ever used in my life... it is fucking great... I can even stable overclock my i3-6100.

Edit - More info.

My G.Skill are red so I put them in the red slot on the board (look only) and it ended being slot #2 and #4... dual channel is working so I guess there is no problem???

shoreu

Already formatted it properly? Check the disk management utility and format - the presumably yet unpartitioned HDD - to NTFS.

when i go it's not an option to click but when i'm in BIOS it's there as an option to boot too

Maybe it's because my OS is on the SSD?

EDIT:

i found it! it's disk 0 i need to format it but it's not giving me the option.

ISee

Yeah, as fucking amazing as the old i5/i7 2500K/2600K series is, I've heard several people note that more modern CPUs have real gains, especially in open world games, due to processor efficiency.

I've got an i7 2600K clocked pretty high, but even I wonder if it's holding back my 980 Ti, and with a more modern CPU if I'd remedy a lot of my on and off microstuttering issues (especially in games like Wild Hunt with all my tweaks).

No idea about your micro stuttering issue. I never noticed micro stutter on my i5 3570 while playing witcher 3 (assuming that's the wild hunt you're talking about...). But I never ini tweaked the game, so...

But performance wise, yeah I'm pretty sure you would get improved performance exchanging your CPU. And just in case you never stumbled on this video from Digital Foundry. (Man they really improved their PC coverage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

LilJoka

My PC is full running... 8s boot with Windows 10 (needed to install twice because the first I installed using MBR even using Rufus to make the pen drive boot... to make clear here you need to create the partition on pen drive using GPT before use Rufus with UEFI + GPT).

But I found a issue :(

When I choose XPS Profile 1 in my RAM to run in 3200mhz the video start to blink each 2-4 seconds.

I'm using the RAM default 2400mhz... what I can try to do to fix it?

PS. GA-Z170x-Gaming 5 is the most awesome mobo I ever used in my life... it is fucking great... I can even stable overclock my i3-6100.

Edit - More info.

My G.Skill are red so I put them in the red slot on the board (look only) and it ended being slot #2 and #4... dual channel is working so I guess there is no problem???

XMP isnt guaranteed, depends if the CPU can cope as the CPUs integrated memory controller is only rated to 2133Mhz. You can play with the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages to try to stabilise. I would try for 3000Mhz and manually set the primary timings and VDIMM,VCCIO,VCCSA.

Since its an i3 6100, i very much doubt 3200Mhz will be stable, these chips were not binned for decent IMCs as they are supposed to be non overclock enabled chips.

Vuze

when i go it's not an option to click but when i'm in BIOS it's there as an option to boot too

Maybe it's because my OS is on the SSD?

EDIT:

i found it! it's disk 0 i need to format it but it's not giving me the option.
Tried right-clicking on the black bar/unassigned bar? You should see the formatting option there.
Alternatively try the cmd way but you shouldn't really need it unless you want to erase Windows boot partitions or whatever. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en

ethomaz

Banned
XMP isnt guaranteed, depends if the CPU can cope as the CPUs integrated memory controller is only rated to 2133Mhz. You can play with the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages to try to stabilise. I would try for 3000Mhz and manually set the primary timings and VDIMM,VCCIO,VCCSA.

Since its an i3 6100, i very much doubt 3200Mhz will be stable, these chips were not binned for decent IMCs as they are supposed to be non overclock enabled chips.
I will try to work with manual setthings after but it will be my first time... that is why I found XMP profiles helpful.

EatChildren

No idea about your micro stuttering issue. I never noticed micro stutter on my i5 3570 while playing witcher 3 (assuming that's the wild hunt you're talking about...). But I never ini tweaked the game, so...

But performance wise, yeah I'm pretty sure you would get improved performance exchanging your CPU. And just in case you never stumbled on this video from Digital Foundry. (Man they really improved their PC coverage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

Awesome dude. Cheers.

Hmm. I am hungry for a tinker and upgrade, and since I can't imagine the 1080 significantly besting my 980 Ti, maybe I'll spend a chunk of this week's paycheque on a new MBO, some DDR4, and a 6700K....

LilJoka

I will try to work with manual setthings after but it will be my first time... that is why I found XMP profiles helpful.

Whats the exact kit?

Start point would be something like this
3000Mhz
RAM timings 15-15-35
VCCSA 1.10v
VCCIO 1.10v
VDIMM 1.35v

Roarer

Yeah, Dark Souls III was the first game to make my 2500k@4.5 feel a bit long in the tooth. That stable 60 fps seemed to be just out of reach with stuttering all over the place. I have a pretty high tolerance for anything above 30 though, so I'm fine for another year or so, but yeah, those CPUs are reaching their twilight years for sure.

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhhhh I found that on google...

That's a common issue of all 100 series motherboard (msi, asus, gigabyte), it possibly happens when using on board display plus 3000MHz memory. My thought is it's mostly related to IO voltage, I'd say there might be some design problems with the Intel 6th gen CPU....but who knows.. Just buy a video card and everything should work fine. Hope this help.

Looks like it is a issue with the CPU video... if I use a dedicated GPU it will works fine.

I will be able to buy a GPU late this year.

I will try manual setthings too.

Whats the exact kit?

Start point would be something like this
3000Mhz
RAM timings 15-15-35
VCCSA 1.10v
VCCIO 1.10v
VDIMM 1.35v
This Red: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

LilJoka

Ohhhhhh I found that on google...

Looks like it is a issue with the CPU video... if I use a dedicated GPU it will works fine.

I will be able to buy a GPU late this year.

I will try manual setthings too.

This Red: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

Oh ok thats pretty odd but guess it explains it.
Your kit is rated 16-18-18-38-2N 1.35v, so if you do run manually at 3000Mhz start at 16-17-17-36-2N.

These are quite loose timings really though, im running 3000Mhz 14-14-14-32 1N with G.Skill Tridents. Need to balance latency and bandwidth really.

EatChildren

Yeah, Dark Souls III was the first game to make my 2500k@4.5 feel a bit long in the tooth. That stable 60 fps seemed to be just out of reach with stuttering all over the place. I have a pretty high tolerance for anything above 30 though, so I'm fine for another year or so, but yeah, those CPUs are reaching their twilight years for sure.

It's hard to say what is the engine and game, and what is performance. But yeah. As much as I love my i7 2600K, it's a five year old CPU, as opposed to the 6700K which is not even a year old. Comparatively you're looking at 32nm to 14nm, and pretty significant efficiency improvements.

The i5/i7s still more than hold there own, but maybe for these open world games having a high clocked i7 isn't really cutting it and there choking a bit.

Ric Flair

Banned
Quick question, can faulty RAM cause stuttering while playing 3D video games? I'm not positive it it's the RAM or the Video Card that's causing my games to suddenly stutter. I just cleaned out my case and unplugged everything. I always make sure to be absolutely grounded when I work on my PC but I might have slipped while handling something and fucked one of my parts up. I've run diagnostics and nothing seems to come up as faulty driver/registry wise. I've got a feeling I might have just physically damaged one of my components.

Great discussion here on the CPU upgrades.

Looks like I'll be moving on from my 2500k and into the 6600k build I already spec 'D out

CPU: i5 6600k
RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz
Motherboard: ASUS Pro Gaming Z170

The storage, case and power supply I will be able to carry over from my old build.

Hey GAF,
So I just got a Kit of G.Skill TridentZ 16x2 DDR4 RAM Pretty unexpectedly... It is the CL14 3200Mhz rated kit..
First question as i'm not much of a tech savy..
Is it any good? Serious question in terms of latency and bandwith.
Second question..does the memory controller
Of a core i7 6700k will be able to handle the XMP profile of these? I just a read a few comments above about someone with issues with XMP profile and I am afraid I will encounter the same issue..

Thanks a lot!

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
So I have a Palit Jetstream 980ti and I'm considering upgrading selling it to upgrade to a 1080. And then a 1080ti as soon as it's available.
Thing is, my 980ti has fairly loud coil whine under load. How common is this? Should I mention it in the ad?
It doesn't really bother me because I always play with (closed back) headphones.

LilJoka

Hey GAF,
So I just got a Kit of G.Skill TridentZ 16x2 DDR4 RAM Pretty unexpectedly... It is the CL14 3200Mhz rated kit..
First question as i'm not much of a tech savy..
Is it any good? Serious question in terms of latency and bandwith.
Second question..does the memory controller
Of a core i7 6700k will be able to handle the XMP profile of these? I just a read a few comments above about someone with issues with XMP profile and I am afraid I will encounter the same issue..

Thanks a lot!

Very good kit.
Depends on your CPU. Try it.

Zackat

Ok so I cannot get my PC to boot up when I try and install another 8gb (bring it up to 16gb total) of DDR4 RAM into my x99 MSI motherboard. Is there any reason why it would do this?

When I take it back out and start it up again it gives me the screen saying my memory has changed hit f1 f2 etc. So it makes it seem like it is recognizing but... idk I am just confused. What could be wrong? Am I missing a step somewhere and it isn't just as easy as making sure it is seated correctly and turning on the computer?

DBT85

Ok so I cannot get my PC to boot up when I try and install another 8gb (bring it up to 16gb total) of DDR4 RAM into my x99 MSI motherboard. Is there any reason why it would do this?

When I take it back out and start it up again it gives me the screen saying my memory has changed hit f1 f2 etc. So it makes it seem like it is recognizing but... idk I am just confused. What could be wrong? Am I missing a step somewhere and it isn't just as easy as making sure it is seated correctly and turning on the computer?

try and boot with only the new stuff.

Clipse

Hey all, planning on building a PC for the first time and could use all the help I can get because I have no idea what I'm doing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage 2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Is this build overkill if I'm just looking to play games at 1080p/60fps on max settings? Currently I play FFXIV, CS:GO, SFV, TF2 and a few other random games, but I'm planning to pickup Overwatch soon.

Hey all, planning on building a PC for the first time and could use all the help I can get because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Is this build overkill if I'm just looking to play games at 1080p/60fps on max settings? Currently I play FFXIV, CS:GO, SFV, TF2 and a few other random games, but I'm planning to pickup Overwatch soon.

Overwatch is pretty easy to run, so yes it will run it very comfortably as I already manage that with a five year old i5 and an 970. So I suppose it is a bit overkill. However it is still a pretty solid build and would work well for upcoming games (although we don't know yet how the 1070 will perform).

I built a new rig recently, or rather finished the upgrading path I started about a year ago!

Here are my specs:

CASE: Corsair SPEC-01 with 3 120mm red LED fans and one old fan from my Dell
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 (coming from an i7 860)
MOBO: MSI PC Mate Z97 (coming from an old Dell H57 mobo)
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1866 MHz (all other parts taken from previous build)
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 @ Core: 1428 MHz (1504 with boost), Memory 7822 MHz
SSD: 128 Gb Samsung 840 EVO and 250 Gb Samsung 850 EVO
PSU: Corsair CX600M

Monitor 1: 24 inch Dell ST2410
Monitor 2: Panasonic 50ST60

Mouse: Logitech G700s
Keyboard: Logitech K800

Speakers: iHome iP1
Headset: Logitech G-35

and some pictures:

Inside the case

Looking head on

For some perspective

Keyboard and Mouse

Monitor

Zackat

so I tried booting my computer with the new RAM in only.... it only works in slot 1 and 3. Is my MOBO broken or something? It is out of its warranty now. I just didn't even think to check this stuff when I got it all in 2014. I just put the RAM in 1 and 3 and it worked so I didn't think about it.

It's an MSI x99 SLI PLUS MOBO btw. I was trying to add in 8gb extra to the 8gb I already had and it wouldn't boot up.

that i7 and a GTX 1070 will do more than 1080p 60fps no problem. you should be looking at 1440p 60fps. maybe even some 4K at 30fps.

those games don't really require much to run at 1080p 60fps. i have an i5-4590/16GB/R9 290 and can completely max settings on CS:GO, SFV, TF2, and Overwatch at 1080p 60fps.

Elitist1945

so I tried booting my computer with the new RAM in only.... it only works in slot 1 and 3. Is my MOBO broken or something? It is out of its warranty now. I just didn't even think to check this stuff when I got it all in 2014. I just put the RAM in 1 and 3 and it worked so I didn't think about it.

It's an MSI x99 SLI PLUS MOBO btw. I was trying to add in 8gb extra to the 8gb I already had and it wouldn't boot up.

Try updating BIOS. I did this and it fixed my RAM issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom