• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

I probably shouldn't have but I found a "cheap" asus strix 970 and I bought it. I won't have enough money for a 1070 anyway.

I had a gtx 660 overheating in american truck simulator, so...

Anyway, gotta love nvidia drivers...I was browsing neogaf while the driver was downloading, click install, screen flashes black and POOF suddenly the tearing in chrome is back.

I probably shouldn't have but I found a "cheap" asus strix 970 and I bought it. I won't have enough money for a 1070 anyway.

I had a gtx 660 overheating in american truck simulator, so...

Anyway, gotta love nvidia drivers...I was browsing neogaf while the driver was downloading, click install, screen flashes black and POOF suddenly the tearing in chrome is back.

Always restart your computer after installing a new graphics card driver even if you don't need to do it right away. I've seen things going weird if I don't restart and proceed immediately to playing 3D games with the new drivers. Might be the same case with browsers with HWA.

Shahadan

Always restart your computer after installing a new graphics card driver even if you don't need to do it right away. I've seen things going weird if I don't restart and proceed immediately to playing 3D games with the new drivers. Might be the same case with browsers with HWA.

Lol, that fixed it actually at least for now, thanks :p

When did they stop to tell you to restart after installing? I'd swear they did that before. I must admit I forgot since they didn't ask :D

Anyway cool for now, let's try witcher 3 above 25 fps.

Lol, that fixed it actually at least for now, thanks :p

When did they stop to tell you to restart after installing? I'd swear they did that before. I must admit I forgot since they didn't ask :D

Anyway cool for now, let's try witcher 3 above 25 fps.

They stopped doing that since driver switching was a thing in Windows. At least, that way, your computer's graphics capability isn't completely crippled on a driver swap... though some weirdness remains, I've noticed.

FFMafia

More or less. Yes, that's it.

In the old days it was all about latency and it's still important but to make stuff more easy concentrate on clockspeed (mhz). The higher the better is the general rule here. Still you have to watch out if the mobo you picked is able to 'work' with faster clocked ddr4 above the standard 2133mhz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMfGJf1KWWk

The mother boards I've been looking at say support for 2133mhz and for OC of the higher speeds. Does that mean all the memories advertised higher than 2133 mean they are factory overclocked or something? I'm confused 🤔

Ragona

So guys, I finally managed to save some cash and Iam considering to make a pretty big comeback to PC gaming, but iam not 100% sure how to spend my money wisely.

Lets start with what i currently have :

Asrock Z68 pro 3 gen 3
I5 2500k @4,4 Ghz
8 GB Ram oced to 1666
Radeon R9 390

As the last couple of months have shown, my Cpu starts to feel a little outdated.
So I was considering to buy the 6700k, but obviously that also means new motherboard and new Ram so I guess we are looking at 600-700 Euros? (living in germany).
When can we expect to see AMDs or Intels new CPUs?

Secondly, I was toying around with the idea of buying one of those fancy new screens, that have freesync or gsync. Obviously, I currently have got an AMD card, but if i had to lock myself in for one of those for a fitting screen, I think I would go with Nvidia..
So, would it be wise to sell my R9 390 and get one of the new Nvidia cards + a screen?

SO to sum that up, an idea, that came to my mind yesterday was to simply sell my PC as is (what price would be fair?) and just build a new one, based around a Nvidia Setup...
Complex thoughts...any feedback/ideas/advise?

So guys, I finally managed to save some cash and Iam considering to make a pretty big comeback to PC gaming, but iam not 100% sure how to spend my money wisely.

Lets start with what i currently have :

Asrock Z68 pro 3 gen 3
I5 2500k @4,4 Ghz
8 GB Ram oced to 1666
Radeon R9 390

As the last couple of months have shown, my Cpu starts to feel a little outdated.
So I was considering to buy the 6700k, but obviously that also means new motherboard and new Ram so I guess we are looking at 600-700 Euros? (living in germany).
When can we expect to see AMDs or Intels new CPUs?

Secondly, I was toying around with the idea of buying one of those fancy new screens, that have freesync or gsync. Obviously, I currently have got an AMD card, but if i had to lock myself in for one of those for a fitting screen, I think I would go with Nvidia..
So, would it be wise to sell my R9 390 and get one of the new Nvidia cards + a screen?

SO to sum that up, an idea, that came to my mind yesterday was to simply sell my PC as is (what price would be fair?) and just build a new one, based around a Nvidia Setup...
Complex thoughts...any feedback/ideas/advise?

Keep the 390 - it still has quite a long life left in it. I think I'd leave the variable sync monitors alone for the time being and focus on your aging CPU.

Something like the i5-6600K, or i7-6700(K) would do nicely to eliminate most, if not all CPU bottlenecks, especially after overclocking (important for the 6600K), along with a decent Z97 motherboard, and some DDR4 RAM.

ISee

The mother boards I've been looking at say support for 2133mhz and for OC of the higher speeds. Does that mean all the memories advertised higher than 2133 mean they are factory overclocked or something? I'm confused 🤔

By default every memory should follow certain JEDEC specifications. This includes
amongst other things memory speeds. DDR4 memory that is advertised with higher speeds than 2133 mhz is indeed overclocked and uses an Extreme Memory Profile (XMP). XMP is an additional set of values stored in the EEPROM which can be detected by SPD in the BIOS and applied by the user if he wishes to use the 'overclocked' settings.

This afternoon my PC started to freeze up. I had to hold the power button to power off because of no response. It happened several times only minutes after Windows starting (Win 10 64bit).

I had Speccy open and the temps of everything was fine. I checked the event viewer logs and nothing untoward was listed.

I had an idea to remove the wireless dongle because the freezes seemed to occur when accessing the internet or having Steam downloading a game. This seemed to do the trick and no freezes occurred.

I have put the dongle into another USB slot and at the moment all is okay. It was in a USB 3 slot but is now in a standard one.

So could this point to the USB slot being on its way out? Or the adapter but it seems okay at the moment in another slot?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey guys, dumb question here! I'm looking at upgrading my PC, but shelling out for a new processor is by far the priciest part. I've got an i5-2500K currently, if I upgraded my motherboard and graphics card to something reasonable by modern standards, could I keep the CPU?

ISee

Hey guys, dumb question here! I'm looking at upgrading my PC, but shelling out for a new processor is by far the priciest part. I've got an i5-2500K currently, if I upgraded my motherboard and graphics card to something reasonable by modern standards, could I keep the CPU?

No way.
Your 2500k won't fit in a modern motherboard.
The 2500k needs motherboards with the LGA1155 socket and for example the new z170 boards have LGA 1151 sockets (perfect match for skylake CPUs).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No way.
Your 2500k won't fit into a modern motherboard.
The 2500k needs motherboards with the LGA1155 socket and for example the new z170 boards have LGA 1151 sockets (perfect match for skylake CPUs).

Goddamnit. No way I'm looking at less than $600 for an upgrade then I guess. Gonna have to wait till the end of the summer

FFMafia

By default every memory should follow certain JEDEC specifications. This includes
amongst other things memory speeds. DDR4 memory that is advertised with higher speeds than 2133 mhz is indeed overclocked and uses an Extreme Memory Profile (XMP). XMP is an additional set of values stored in the EEPROM which can be detected by SPD in the BIOS and applied by the user if he wishes to use the 'overclocked' settings.

I see now. So is there a disadvantage of buying these overclocked sticks? Or are they very user friendly plug and play style?

ISee

My MB is an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, I'm under the impression its not going to be compatible with anything newer than like 2014 or so

AFAIK, the best CPU that could fit your mainboard is the i7 3770k.

I see now. So is there a disadvantage of buying these overclocked sticks? Or are they very user friendly plug and play style?

In my experience it's safe and easy to use on mainboards 'designed' to use XMP ram.
You plug them in and than select the XMP profile in your bios/uefi. Et voila, that's it.

Quotient

Apparently this is releasing this month

SFx-L 700w Platinum.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=670&area=en

sx700-lpt-34-1.jpg

This is fantastic for small factor cases - i think the previous largest you get was 550W.

Dark-VIII

finally decided to change my 10 years old Core2Due PC
planning to get 1080 GTX and i7 6700
kinda stuck on the motherboard, any recommandation?

Red

I'm looking for an upgrade from an A10 5800k. I like the idea of APUs but am finding the 7890k hard to justify at its price. I'm looking at an Athlon x4 860k and GeForce 760 ti combo for about $170. I'll have to double check my motherboard to see if I'll need to upgrade (I think it is only FM2, not FM2+). My psu is rated for 450 watts. Is that sufficient? Any other options I should consider? I'd like to keep cost <$250.

Hm—I am reading now that I might be able to simply add a discrete GPU to my current set up and it should be compatible. I did not know this was possible with APUs. I might just find a reasonable GPU for $100 or less... Any suggestions? Anything in this range decode HEVC video pretty well? Play games at 720p on medium to low settings? I assume nothing in this segment will draw more than a 450w psu can handle.

Willing to go $150 if 1080p can be achieved. GTX 950 maybe? Wonder if that would be a waste with the processing speed of a 5800k.

Going with this unless someone tells me I'm making a horrible mistake.

Did it. Berate me if I've made a poor decision.

wowzors

Just ordered a fractal r5, h110i gtx and a 1000w evga psu. Can't wait for broadwell-e and the new motherboards, gonna have to pick them up at microcenter when they release.

ISee

finally decided to change my 10 years old Core2Due PC
planning to get 1080 GTX and i7 6700
kinda stuck on the motherboard, any recommandation?

The Asus Z170-A seems to be popular here (got one myself and I can't complain it works), but in general there isn't a huge difference between mobos anymore when it come to perfromance. They differentiate by design/look and specifications/equipment like sound processors, number of usb slots, sata connectors, sli capabilitys, Lan ports, Wi-Fi etc. In the end you can pick one that suits your personal needs the best.

Oh. Hm. Any easy compatibility check when I'm looking at cards?

No, because none is needed.

GlamFM

Banned
OK guys.

Last time (I hope)

I´m THIS close to pulling the trigger on this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (&#8364;330.68 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (&#8364;157.83 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (&#8364;115.88 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (&#8364;251.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (&#8364;90.84 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (&#8364;132.05 @ Mindfactory)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (&#8364;87.83 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (&#8364;106.94 @ Mindfactory)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (&#8364;95.75 @ Mindfactory)
Total: &#8364;1369.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-13 19:23 CEST+0200

All good? Yay?

GPU will be a 1080 btw.

Thanks to everyone's help, I got my PC together. Everything seems to have come together well. I was wondering what things you guys do to make sure everything is running the way it should be. Everything is showing up in the system the way it should be, but I just want to make sure my processor and 212 evo is setup properly. I did run Rocket League on the iGPU and the temps hovered around 38C, with spikes to 44C. Idle temps are about 30C.

Still waiting on some 1080 goodness, so I can ditch this CPU.

ACE 1991

Thanks to everyone's help, I got my PC together. Everything seems to have come together well. I was wondering what things you guys do to make sure everything is running the way it should be. Everything is showing up in the system the way it should be, but I just want to make sure my processor and 212 evo is setup properly. I did run Rocket League on the iGPU and the temps hovered around 38C, with spikes to 44C. Idle temps are about 30C.

Still waiting on some 1080 goodness, so I can ditch this CPU.

Those totally good temperatures.

OK guys.

Last time (I hope)

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€330.68 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€157.83 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€115.88 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€251.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€90.84 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€132.05 @ Mindfactory)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.83 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€106.94 @ Mindfactory)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (€95.75 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1369.69

All good? Yay?

GPU will be a 1080 btw.

The only things that stand out to me are the really expensive ram and cooler. I'd put that money towards a bigger SSD and maybe a better motherboard imho.

OraleeWey

Is that fully loaded? Temps seem very low.

Try running prime95 v26.6, then after 30 minutes take down your max temp and voltage being pulled by the Cpu.

Alright, I'm at work now. I'll come back and reply either later today or tomorrow. I'll get on it ASAP!

Edit: I guess it wasn't fully loaded. I was just playing CSGO. Next time I'll try prime95 then and post the results.

hohoXD123

OK guys.

Last time (I hope)

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€330.68 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€157.83 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€115.88 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€251.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€90.84 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€132.05 @ Mindfactory)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.83 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€106.94 @ Mindfactory)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (€95.75 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1369.69

All good? Yay?

GPU will be a 1080 btw.

Why spend so much money on the RAM? Also, you can get genuine windows 10 keys off ebay for like £10

GlamFM

Banned
Why spend so much money on the RAM?

The only things that stand out to me are the really expensive ram and cooler. I'd put that money towards a bigger SSD and maybe a better motherboard imho.

I want to paint it gold and it seems to be super simple with dominator ram.

I actually only picked the motherboard because it had golden highlights.

Is there a problem with the one I picked?

I´m basically going for something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/Y5BHN

My girlfriend wants to move her hard drive between computers, but I'm not sure how that will work. She's building her own computer, and the hard drive is from a pre-built computer, so as far as I know, Windows and all the drivers are attached to that hard drive. I don't know how feasible it is to switch the hard drive to the new computer. I don't know if Windows would work or anything.

hohoXD123

My girlfriend wants to move her hard drive between computers, but I'm not sure how that will work. She's building her own computer, and the hard drive is from a pre-built computer, so as far as I know, Windows and all the drivers are attached to that hard drive. I don't know how feasible it is to switch the hard drive to the new computer. I don't know if Windows would work or anything.

I used the same SSD I had in my laptop, when I put it into my new PC I expected to have to format it and install everything again, but it pretty much worked without me having to do anything. The stock drivers were installed automatically, just had to enter in my windows serial key again. Again, I was surprised seeing as I had read in numerous places that you'll get a blue screen and have to reinstall windows, so I don't know how common it is for things to just work.

luoapp

Windows 10 will very likely just be up and running, albeit inactivated. You need to call MS to re-activate it.

Surfinn

Exactly my predicament. If I simply replace my motherboard, RAM, CPU, and power supply, will I need to reformat my SSD? Not a huge deal but I'm assuming it's worth trying (no reformat).

Looking for upgrade advice. I've got this build from early 2012:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2

My goal, I guess, was to be able to play Doom at 1080p (and other games, e.g. Just Cause 3).
I'm also planning on adding an SSD, which have become fantastic value for money now versus 2011/2012.

The biggest failing of the current build is the GPU - if I'm looking to spend ~US$200, what should I be considering, or should I just wait? Regarding RAM, should I upgrade? And is my CPU/motherboard a problem? It seems like upgrading CPU = upgrading motherboard, so its a substantial rebuild...

ISee

Looking for upgrade advice. I've got this build from early 2012:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2

My goal, I guess, was to be able to play Doom at 1080p (and other games, e.g. Just Cause 3).
I'm also planning on adding an SSD, which have become fantastic value for money now versus 2011/2012.

The biggest failing of the current build is the GPU - if I'm looking to spend ~US$200, what should I be considering, or should I just wait? Regarding RAM, should I upgrade? And is my CPU/motherboard a problem? It seems like upgrading CPU = upgrading motherboard, so its a substantial rebuild...

Just Cause 3 really loves CPU power and older i5s are bottlenecking here. I wasn't able to get steady 1080p/60 ony my overclocked 3570k (4.5ghz) even paired with an overclocked 980 in certain locations, but if you aim for 30fps, that's absolutely doable on your i5 if you invest some money in a new graphics card but I would recommend waiting a couple of weeks before doing so.
AMD is supposed to release cards based on polaris 10 in a couple of weeks. They won't compete in the high end sector but they might offer very good perfromance for relatively small money ($200-$300, hopefully).
But if you don't want to wait a r9 380x (clicky) might be the card for you. It's in between the 960 and 970 and you should be able to find one for around $230.

DBT85

My 6700k build is now alive! Managed to finish by about 1:30 this morning, did some quick benchmarks with everything at stock and then played some Stellaris. Will be watercooling it all in about 4 months with a custom loop.

Why would you upgrade the motherboard an not the CPU?

The only possible reason I would do it is if I wanted SLI and my board couldn't do it, or the board couldn't overclock and I wanted to.

Apart from that, buy a chip and board together and they stay together until you retire them both. At least, thats how its been for me for 20 years now.

I want to paint it gold and it seems to be super simple with dominator ram.

I actually only picked the motherboard because it had golden highlights.

Is there a problem with the one I picked?

I´m basically going for something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/Y5BHN

You're spending that much on ram because its easy to paint?

I just put 2 16gb stocks of ddr4 in my build for £99. Kingston Hyper X Fury 2400 which will almost certainly clock to 2800 without even changing the timings, not that memory speed actually makes that much difference anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom