• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn128

Random question re: SLI. I have an MSI 980ti. Does it matter if I get another manufacturer's 980ti? Like if I found another one somewhere else cheaper but it was a non-MSI 980ti? Would SLI run fine?

JimPanzer

So my second GTX970 will arrive today and I want to make sure I got this whole SLI thing correct:

1. Insert Card
2. connect cards via SLI adapter
3. check bios if both PCI-E slots are working (2 x 8x?)
4. enbable SLI via nvidia control panel

that should do it right? I don't have to reinstall drivers or anything? what about overclocking? will my OC I did via MSI Afterburner apply to both cards or do I have to OC the second one manually?

kennah

Random question re: SLI. I have an MSI 980ti. Does it matter if I get another manufacturer's 980ti? Like if I found another one somewhere else cheaper but it was a non-MSI 980ti? Would SLI run fine?
Yup. They will automatically down clock to the slowest card.

Be careful with aftermarket coolers, on non référence cards, the top one will run significantly hotter

Bizzquik

Tell me its okay, GAF.

I purchased a i5-4690K rather than a i7-4790K because the computer I'm building will be gaming only. But now I regret not paying the extra $80-$100 and getting the i7-4790K instead.

I know there are few games out now where hyper-threading is useful...but I'm concerned about how the i5-4690K will fare with new games two years in the future.
I'm hoping games stay GPU-centric so that my 980Ti can continue carrying the day. But I don't know new tech like DirectX12, etc, will change things.

If I'm trying to future-proof myself for 2-3 years....did I just make a big mistake in going with the i5-4690K for a gaming-only Windows 10 PC...?

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

Tell me its okay, GAF.

I purchased a i5-4690K rather than a i7-4790K because the computer I'm building will be gaming only. But now I regret not paying the extra $80-$100 and getting the i7-4790K instead.

I know there are few games out now where hyper-threading is useful...but I'm concerned about how the i5-4690K will fare with new games two years in the future.
I'm hoping games stay GPU-centric so that my 980Ti can continue carrying the day. But I don't know new tech like DirectX12, etc, will change things.

If I'm trying to future-proof myself for 2-3 years....did I just make a big mistake in going with the i5-4690K for a gaming-only Windows 10 PC...?

You will be fine.

Need to ask some guidance my brothers and sisters.
So I'm in a state that I'm gonna upgrade my PC very soon (probably next week) and I have two different ways to go as both my option cost pretty much the same.

First option, upgrade from a 3770K @ 4,6GHz to a 6700K (and overclock it).
Second option, upgrade from a MSI GTX 970 4G @ 1620/8400 to a Inno3D GTX 980 Ti OC.

So if I were to upgrade from my current Sabertooth Z77 + 3770K + 8GB DDR3 to Maximus 8 Ranger + 6700K + 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 it would cost 700 euros.
If I were to upgrade from my MSI GTX 970 4G to a Inno3D GTX 980 Ti OC it would cost 779 euros.

The cost of GTX 980 Ti being a bit higher than the Z170 upgrade doesn't really matter now, I just can't decide whether to get a new and a lot more powerful GPU or upgrade to Z170 and possibly not gain too much. I'm very interested in all the new features that come with the Z170 and would be perfectly happy just getting to overclock on my new Z170 platform CPU and play even though I might not gain much performance wise. But then again, maybe I'd benefit more from a GTX 980 Ti since I'm a sucker for high frame rates, downsampling and screenshotting and a 970 just isn't enough even when overclocked as high as it is right now.

So I'm in a state that I'm gonna upgrade my PC very soon (probably next week) and I have two different ways to go as both my option cost pretty much the same.

Second option, upgrade from a MSI GTX 970 4G @ 1620/8400 to a Inno3D GTX 980 Ti OC.

So if I were to upgrade from my current Sabertooth Z77 + 3770K + 8GB DDR3 to Maximus 8 Ranger + 6700K + 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 it would cost 700 euros.
If I were to upgrade from my MSI GTX 970 4G to a Inno3D GTX 980 Ti OC it would cost 779 euros.

The cost of GTX 980 Ti being a bit higher than the Z170 upgrade doesn't really matter now, I just can't decide whether to get a new and a lot more powerful GPU or upgrade to Z170 and possibly not gain too much. I'm very interested in all the new features that come with the Z170 and would be perfectly happy just getting to overclock on my new Z170 platform CPU and play even though I might not gain much performance wise. But then again, maybe I'd benefit more from a GTX 980 Ti since I'm a sucker for high frame rates, downsampling and screenshotting and a 970 just isn't enough even when overclocked as high as it is right now.

Sell the 970 for a 980ti makes much more sense.

Veal

Does anyone here have any experience with Coollab's ultra pro tim on a GPU die? Is it recommended? I'm thinking about delidding my 3570k (and possibly direct mounting to an H80) to replace the low quality tim on that die.

LilJoka

Tell me its okay, GAF.

You'll be fine. DX12 will actually increase performance on the CPU side.

CmdBash

m8TOjqD.png

Bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500gb, ran the benchmark in samsung magician and the iops seems to be under the standard by a bit, is this normal?

This is a no brainer. There'll be a miniscule real-world performance boost going from one CPU platform to the other. Sell the 970 and upgrade to a Ti or Fury X.

LordAlu

I have all the parts for my PC except for the 6700k, which is sold out literally everywhere in Canada as far as I can tell. I feel like I should preorder from an online store, but I can't get a straight answer on availability from any of them.
Unfortunately that's the case pretty much everywhere. Here in the UK the only answer we can get is "late September/early October" with no information at all on numbers :(

Has anyone used the Asus cpu installation tool? It seems very handy but at the same time it seems there is no other way to get the cpu inside the little bracket without touching the bottom of the cpu which doesn't seem like a great plan.

Interested to hear some user experiences.

On a different note, i'm planning to get the Asus Z170-A mobo but i have read about it possibly having ram issues... could anyone chime in on that aswell?

I had some issues with Z170 and at first I thought they were caused by the installation tool. I tried again (with new parts) and using the installation tool and it worked. I returned everything when it didn't work so I dont know what was the cause of my first failure. The RAM I ended up using where DDR4 Ripjaws 5, my first try was with Ripjaws 4.

Jag

I had some issues with Z170 and at first I thought they were caused by the installation tool. I tried again (with new parts) and using the installation tool and it worked. I returned everything when it didn't work so I dont know what was the cause of my first failure. The RAM I ended up using where DDR4 Ripjaws 5, my first try was with Ripjaws 4.

I'll be installing my Asus Z170 this weekend if Newegg delivers my Ripjaws DDR4 in time. I'll report back.

I'll be installing my Asus Z170 this weekend if Newegg delivers my Ripjaws DDR4 in time. I'll report back.

Great, can't wait to hear. The installation tool was stressful to use, but on another forum people convinced me it was the safest way. I am not wholly convinced (even though I used it), inserting the chip on the tool without touching the sensitive parts of the chip was harder than brain surgery. Full disclosure: I am not a brain surgeon.

So I installed a 6700k and I'm running at stock right now (haven't had time to start OCing yet), but looking at CPU-Z my voltage is jumping between 0.8 to 1.7 just while running a browser. The max that Intel rates it is for 1.45v, right? Is my mobo destroying my CPU?

I'm using this one: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov

Should I try updating the BIOS? Can I do that with a USB? Last time I updated a bios, a floppy drive was required.

JimPanzer

So I just installed my second MSI GTX970 for SLI. The idle temperatures got me a bit worried. I get around 55°C on both cards in idle.
Temps while gaming seem fine with both cards around 70ish °C. The top card did hit 80°C in the Firestrike benchmark though.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried?

knitoe

So I installed a 6700k and I'm running at stock right now (haven't had time to start OCing yet), but looking at CPU-Z my voltage is jumping between 0.8 to 1.7 just while running a browser. The max that Intel rates it is for 1.45v, right? Is my mobo destroying my CPU?

I'm using this one: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov

Should I try updating the BIOS? Can I do that with a USB? Last time I updated a bios, a floppy drive was required.

1.7V would be way too high and dangerous. Does HWinfo show the same thing? Pretty sure, you can download bios file to USB, go into bios flash section and flash setting the file on the USB.

RGM79

So I just installed my second MSI GTX970 for SLI. The idle temperatures got me a bit worried. I get around 55°C on both cards in idle.
Temps while gaming seem fine with both cards around 70ish °C. The top card did hit 80°C in the Firestrike benchmark though.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried?

A max of 80 degrees isn't that bad, to be honest. Even for SLI.

1.7V would be way too high and dangerous. Does HWinfo show the same thing? Pretty sure, you can download bios file to USB, go into bios flash section and flash setting the file on the USB.

HWinfo is showing .8 to 1.3v. Running both a the same time, the numbers don't seem to match up between the two programs.

You'll be fine. DX12 will actually increase performance on the CPU side.

Will this affect older CPU models too? I have an i7 2600k and am amazed it's still going so strong. Will DX12 boost my CPU performance, or is it only newer models that will benefit?

It's a lot of fun to me too. I just didn't know it was so cheap to have someone else do it. I don't even know if I'd personally want to build PCs for $50 a pop.

Well, it's not like some freelance guy building for $50. You order your other parts from the same shop, so they make their money.

RGM79

I was more worried about the idle temps. I know the cards aren't using the fans for everything under 60°C, but 55ish for idle seems pretty high nonetheless, no?

I suppose so, but still you only ever have to worry about the temperatures at load more than anything else.

I think it's just high at idle because the fans aren't on and the cards are next to each other.

knitoe

HWinfo is showing .8 to 1.3v. Running both a the same time, the numbers don't seem to match up between the two programs.

I am leaning to cpu z showing incorrect. Are you using the lastet version, including beta? Try manually setting in the bios vcore to 1.30V and see what the 2 software shows.

JimPanzer

I suppose so, but still you only ever have to worry about the temperatures at load more than anything else.

I think it's just high at idle because the fans aren't on and the cards are next to each other.

thanks! I guess I'll do some more testing when I get home. Would you recommend setting a custom fan curve via MSI afterburner just to make sure? I thought about setting it to 75°C max.

I order my 980 Ti from Newegg with rush processing and overnight shipping, I don't get it the next day. Last night, I ordered my PSU with Super Egg Saver shipping 4-7 days without rush processing and I'm getting it today. Go figure.

Edit: WTF. DDR4 RAM better be in stock when I order the rest of my parts next week.

Edit 2: I was about to say the 6700k was in stock on Newegg, but then I noticed it was only available with a combo.

It's a lot of fun to me too. I just didn't know it was so cheap to have someone else do it. I don't even know if I'd personally want to build PCs for $50 a pop.
The 50 is also for them testing it to make sure it works. Seems pointless to me since Newegg doesng charge extra to build and they have a good return policy.

Jag

My last 2 parts are being delivered today for my 6600. Case from NCIX and ram from Newegg. Heading out of town for the holiday, but when I get back, it's build time!

I am leaning to cpu z showing incorrect. Are you using the lastet version, including beta? Try manually setting in the bios vcore to 1.30V and see what the 2 software shows.

Thanks! I'll try fiddling around with that when I finish working. I also think that it's CPU-Z that has the wrong info, just because those voltages are so incredibly high, but I'm not sure why it would have that problem in the first place. I'll also try locking the voltage just to see if it will read correctly, and then also try updating my BIOS and see if that fixes anything.

I order my 980 Ti from Newegg with rush processing and overnight shipping, I don't get it the next day. Last night, I ordered my PSU with Super Egg Saver shipping 4-7 days without rush processing and I'm getting it today. Go figure.

Edit: WTF. DDR4 RAM better be in stock when I order the rest of my parts next week.

Edit 2: I was about to say the 6700k was in stock on Newegg, but then I noticed it was only available with a combo.

Since I had every part already except for the 6700k, I just ordered a combo and am returning the mobo it came with. As long as it's unopened, you can get a full refund + free shipping for the return.

jcutner

What would be a good midrange card upgrade from a GTX460?

GTX950? GTX960? I think I'd like to stay with GeForces unless there's a good argument to switch to the R9's

VoxPop

So my friend's recently built PC was working fine but one day just shut off. And you have to wait minutes before turning it back on. And when it does, he gets the Windows is not Genuine screen where he can enter a new key/later option. But after a little bit it just shuts off again. I'm pretty sure he's using a pirated Windows but its been used before with zero issues. But yeah his PC isn't even turning on now. All the lights are on and fans run for literally 1 second before it shuts off again. Is it a PSU issue? I think he's using some EVGA 500-550W PSU.

RGM79

So my friend's recently built PC was working fine but one day just shut off. And you have to wait minutes before turning it back on. And when it does, he gets the Windows is not Genuine screen where he can enter a new key/later option. But after a little bit it just shuts off again. I'm pretty sure he's using a pirated Windows but its been used before with zero issues. But yeah his PC isn't even turning on now. All the lights are on and fans run for literally 1 second before it shuts off again. Is it a PSU issue? I think he's using some EVGA 500-550W PSU.

Maybe PSU, but it could also be overheating. System specs?

VoxPop

Maybe PSU, but it could also be overheating.

I'm not sure how it could be overheating because he has like 3-4 fans in it and he literally does nothing but use the internet and play cs once in a while. He said he's going to take the computer to microcenter :p

his specs are

evga gtx 970
16GB gkill ripjaws
evga 550w psu
msi gaming mobo
cm hyper 212
some extra rosewill fans for the top of his case

thats all i really remember. Helped him build it about a month or two ago

RGM79

I'm not sure how it could be overheating because he has like 3-4 fans in it and he literally does nothing but use the internet and play cs once in a while. He said he's going to take the computer to microcenter :p

his specs are

evga gtx 970
16GB gkill ripjaws
evga 550w psu
msi gaming mobo
cm hyper 212
some extra rosewill fans for the top of his case

thats all i really remember. Helped him build it about a month or two ago

If the CPU heatsink isn't installed properly, the processor could be overheating. Thermal protection would automatically shut down the computer. It doesn't matter how many fans are running if the heatsink isn't doing its job properly. It's just a guess, there's too little to go on to make any definite diagnoses.

Since I had every part already except for the 6700k, I just ordered a combo and am returning the mobo it came with. As long as it's unopened, you can get a full refund + free shipping for the return.
I thought Newegg charged a restocking free for returns? At least they did when I returned by Avermedia card unopened.

Question for you guys who have purchased a Seasonic Power Supply: Did the box come with shrink wrap on it? The one I purchased from Newegg didn't. I went to youtube to search for unboxing videos and I didn't see shrink wrap on them, but maybe the people took them off first. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom