• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Newegg charged a restocking free for returns? At least they did when I returned by Avermedia card unopened.

Question for you guys who have purchased a Seasonic Power Supply: Did the box come with shrink wrap on it? The one I purchased from Newegg didn't. I went to youtube to search for unboxing videos and I didn't see shrink wrap on them, but maybe the people took them off first. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Their return policies are spread out acros like 10 different webpages and are pretty confusing, but I'm pretty sure if it's new unopened and within the 30 day return period you won't be charged a restocking fee according to this: http://kb.newegg.com/FAQ/Article/1755

But after you mentioned that, I wanted to confirm and found this page:
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx/

^That page says "Any return for a refund may be subject to a restocking fee of 15% to 25% at Newegg’s sole discretion."

So I have no idea.

Crisium

What would be a good midrange card upgrade from a GTX460?

GTX950? GTX960? I think I'd like to stay with GeForces unless there's a good argument to switch to the R9's

What's the rest of your system, including monitor PSU? What's your budget?

In any rate, I cannot recommend a 2GB card under any circumstances, unless I suppose you play at 1280x720 or 1366x768. That means no GTX 950.

Right now these are the best midrange deals IMO:

Radeon 280 3GB $195/165 AR

GTX 960 4GB $223/$203 AR and MGSV
Also available in these flavours:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125802
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125778

Keep in mind that these are probably lower midrange relative to when you got your GTX 460 though. The GTX 460 was about 60% the speed of a GTX 580 and 67% the speed of a GTX 480. The Radeon 280, Radeon 380, and GTX 960 are no where near these levels compared to the Titan X and GTX 980 Ti. A more appropriate card for the same tier that the GTX 460 used to occupy would be today's Radeon 290 or GTX 970.

Here are 290's and 970's sorted by price with rebates:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=186,152,311&sort=a8&page=1&r=8192,6144,4096,3072

If you want what you used to have in 2010/2011, then you need a 290 or 970 minimum. The 290s are a bit cheaper as they are being cleared out (replaced by the slightly faster but more expensive 390) so they are among the best performance-per-dollar cards right now.

I'm not sure what to do with the build I'm planning for in the next month, but there are too many brands and products out there. It has been awhile since I built my last PC, so I'm confused as all fuck when it comes to buying the best parts for the best price.

Here are the basics.
I have a budget limit of around $2000. I want to spend a bit under this much for a new PC.

Motherboard (A quality board with DDR 4 support would be fantastic)
CPU - (I7 k series is most preferable) + Aftermarket cooler,
RAM -( 16 gigs of DDR 4 is what I'm aiming for)
SSD - (Around 250gigs or so just for OS and a few select programs
HDD - (2 TB or so)
PSU - (650w or more)
GPU (I have my heart set on a gtx 980ti )
Case/Tower
OS (I'm going with windows 10 home edition)
Monitor (Looking to get a 1440p monitor)

My PC will have multiple uses: Gaming, Video editing, Video capture, 3D model rendering, and possibly streaming at some point in time if I feel like it.

It doesn't need to be like $1500 or anything like that. I'm just trying to get the most I can out of the $2000 limit I'm willing to spend. I'm sure I can make a beefy enough system that will serve me well for quite some time. Please help me GAF. You are my only hope. PC part picker only makes me angry with the myriad of choices. I defer to those with much greater knowledge than I.

Quoting for new page since this thread moves so fast. I truly am lost atm trying to choose parts for my new system.

RGM79

Quoting for new page since this thread moves so fast. I truly am lost atm trying to choose parts for my new system.

How's this for a starting build? Costs might be a bit high, though..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($361.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.50 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($639.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.40 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1647.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-04 14:58 EDT-0400

No monitor listed because I'm not much of a monitor guy, I wouldn't know what to recommend. I tried to leave enough room in your budget for a 1440p monitor.

Tabasco

Would anyone recommend I switch my GTX 960 for a 970 or maybe even a 980?

I'm running games fine right now, but I'm worried about future proofing.

Rolfgang

If you don't have any problems now I would just wait until you get any. If you do need a better card in the future, you can get a Pascal or a cheaper 970/980 Ti.

RGM79

If you really wanted to and you can resell your GTX 960 for a decent price, then it's up to you, I guess. The GTX 970 is the better choice, the GTX 980 is not as good for price to performance.

Evo X

Is it a 2GB or 4GB 960?

If it's 2, then you might want to swap it for greater VRAM. The 970 will be a decent step up, but a 980Ti will absolutely be worth it if you can get one.

The regular 980 isn't that great of a value proposition unless you can score a used one for ~$430.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a spare laptop hd, wondered what the slimmest way to turn it into a portable hd would be.

Tabasco

Is it a 2GB or 4GB 960?

If it's 2, then you might want to swap it for greater VRAM. The 970 will be a decent step up, but a 980Ti will absolutely be worth it if you can get one.

The regular 980 isn't that great of a value proposition unless you can score a used one for ~$430.
Yes, my 960 is a 2GB one.

A 980Ti is overkill for 1080p, though.

I might consider buying a 1440p monitor in that case, but it's going to cost a lot of money. I can afford it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Maybe this isn't the perfect thread for this question, but I think it's still on-topic.

Are there any good guides or recent reviews for PC microphones? I'm looking for a USB microphone to use for recording my narration while I play games (to eventually be uploaded to YouTube... basically, Let's Play-style). I'm looking to spend $50-$100, which maybe isn't a great budget to work with, but I'm hoping I can find something that beats my $10 Logitech microphone. I'm looking for a microphone that'll stand on my desk, not a headset.

Any suggestions or advice?

Crisium

I might consider buying a 1440p monitor in that case, but it's going to cost a lot of money. I can afford it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

A couple points. One, the 960 is still new card. To do an inter-generation upgrade seems like a waste of money unless you think you can get back most of your 960 costs in your resell.

Two, there is no such thing as overkill for 1080p anymore. AMD has VSR which I use and Nvidia has the similar DSR. I can't speak for the Nvidia solution, but VSR is excellent and I notice a lot of improvement running a variety of games at 1440, 1620, 1800, or even 2160(4k) depending on how demanding the game is. Unlike MSAA, it sharpens the whole picture and not just the edges, and I love it. It's still 1920x1080 pixels so under close scrutiny you of course can see that it is not as good as native 1440 or 4k, but man does it make regular 1080 even with MSAA look nowhere near as good. I'm playing through Alien Isolation at 3200x1800 on my 1080 monitor and it is sharp.

There's no such thing as future proofing.
In 8 months ish nvidia pascal gpus will be out and they will make maxwell look like an old pile of shit in comparison.

If your 960 is fine now then there is absolutely no reason for you to upgrade right now.

baphomet

I don't know where all the "980ti is overkill for 1080p" is coming from, but its absolutely false.

Altarus

Neo Member
Maybe this isn't the perfect thread for this question, but I think it's still on-topic.

Are there any good guides or recent reviews for PC microphones? I'm looking for a USB microphone to use for recording my narration while I play games (to eventually be uploaded to YouTube... basically, Let's Play-style). I'm looking to spend $50-$100, which maybe isn't a great budget to work with, but I'm hoping I can find something that beats my $10 Logitech microphone. I'm looking for a microphone that'll stand on my desk, not a headset.

Any suggestions or advice?

I think the Blue Yeti is prety much what you want. Maybe a little too expensive (around $130 on Amazon.com), but Blue is a really good brand and the stand is integrated. I know lot of youtube guys that got this mic.

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/

(I personnaly got a Blue Spark, but he is really more expensive -need a mixer, etc...-)

I don't know where all the "980ti is overkill for 1080p" is coming from, but its absolutely false.

Well it probably is if you have a 60hz monitor:p

If I had a 980ti I'd buy a 120 or 144hz monitor to go with it.
I really want a 144hz monitor but it's not really feasible with a gtx 970 to maintain that kind of framerate =(

Firebrand

I was thinking of getting a new TV, but as I don't really watch broadcast TV at all I guess I could just get a 24"+ monitor instead, that way I'll also skip the dumb filters etc.

Is there a TN panel worth a damn or should I just go for IPS? I was eyeing G-Sync monitors but those AND IPS... are not cheap.

My current monitor has serious problems with detail in dark scenes so I have to absolutely make sure it doesn't have crushed blacks, backlight bleed turning blacks into greys etc. It may also be used for Photoshop work (not print, digital works only) so adequate color accuracy would be nice too.

Crisium

I know some, and there are good reasons to do so. There are plenty of games which can give this card a good workout at 1080p.

And only a semi-blind geriatric couldn't tell the difference that VSR/DSR makes. If you're satisfied with your 1080 60Hz monitor for the time being, then a high end card can really make the most of it. There is never such a thing as overkill with super sampling.

low-G

My nightmare continues:

Backstory: Skylake build. Worked perfectly for 2 weeks. Then one day it won't turn back on. Mobo's CPU LED lights up red & stays red.

Ok, mobo was RMA'ed. Got brand new mobo, installed. Same exact symptoms as before. Red CPU LED. Safe to assume CPU died magically after 2 weeks at this point? Could it be PSU? RAM?

Tabasco

And only a semi-blind geriatric couldn't tell the difference that VSR/DSR makes. If you're satisfied with your 1080 60Hz monitor for the time being, then a high end card can really make the most of it. There is never such a thing as overkill with super sampling.
Thanks for the info.

Are there certain 980Ti cards that you would recommend?

Would anyone recommend unplugging their PC from the socket when going on vacation for a week, makes me a bit paranoid in case there is a storm, would leaving it unplugged cause any issues?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Would anyone recommend unplugging their PC from the socket when going on vacation for a week, makes me a bit paranoid in case there is a storm, would leaving it unplugged cause any issues?

I can't imagine there would be any issues even if you have it plug in and it's off.

I can't imagine there would be any issues even if you have it plug in and it's off.

Let's say I am paranoid something will happen to it and I will lose my only way to play Metal Gear Solid V... Will I cause any problems disconnecting everything to be stupidly safe? Stressing stupidly.

I'm looking to build a pc within the next few weeks and my budget is $900-1000 USD. My main use is gaming and emulation. I guess my benchmark will be being able to run MGSV at 60fps on high and max settings. Here's my selection of parts so far.

Case: NZXT s320
Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme 6
GPU: EVGA 970 GTX SuperSC
CPU: i5 4690k
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866
Storage: Crucial BX100 250 GB SSD
PSU: Corsair CX Series 500 Watt

What do you guys think? Is this good for that price range?

As someone who had a computer destroyed by lightning, I have done this when I lived in the Chicagoland area. Since I moved to California, that is not a worry. I wish there were thunderstorms.

Jag

As someone who had a computer destroyed by lightning, I have done this when I lived in the Chicagoland area. Since I moved to California, that is not a worry. I wish there were thunderstorms.

I don't unplug and I live in FL, the lightning capital of the US. Thunder and lighting are daily occurrences this time of year.

Also question for Fractal Design users. I have the R5, do you leave the front door on or off for better airflow? I'm using the 2 stock fans and a CM 212 Evo.

RGM79

I never have luck with them with my ps4 controller. and if i was upgrading to get a new cpu any way, may as well look for a mb with bluetooth built in, no?

Well, it's not guaranteed that motherboard built-in bluetooth will work with the DS4 better than a USB bluetooth adaptor will. You can get a motherboard with built-in bluetooth if you like, I just think they're overly expensive.

What sort of motherboard were you looking for? Z97 or Z170?

I'm looking to build a pc within the next few weeks and my budget is $900-1000 USD. My main use is gaming and emulation. I guess my benchmark will be being able to run MGSV at 60fps on high and max settings. Here's my selection of parts so far.

Case: NZXT s320
Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme 6
GPU: EVGA 970 GTX SuperSC
CPU: i5 4690k
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866
Storage: Crucial BX100 250 GB SSD
PSU: Corsair CX Series 500 Watt

What do you guys think? Is this good for that price range?

Are you located near any Microcenter stores? They have a good bundle for $275 that includes i5 4690K and an ASRock Z97 motherboard.

Anyway, that sort of build is fine for that price. I wasn't able to get anything cheaper, unless you can locally pick up that processor and motherboard bundle. My build manages to include an aftermarket CPU cooler, though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.60 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($308.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.10 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $947.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-05 00:44 EDT-0400

Wag

I got a 2nd fan for my 5820k True Spirit 140 BW Rev A heatsync. I appear to be stable in stability tests but running hot. I'm peaking @ 90C @ 4.4GHz 1.299v. Too hot? That's the peak tho, it's averaging lower than that. I could bring up the voltage and probably get 4.5GHz out of it. Pretty good for air, but considering it's running kind of hot I don't know if I want to risk it.

low-G

Whelp ordered a 2nd PSU, should get it Sunday. Gonna test with it. If that doesn't work I'll try RMAing my CPU, but this is getting fucking ridiculous. Remind me to never build another PC / buy a gaming PC again...

JimPanzer

I have a question about air-flow. This is my current setup:

http://postimg.org/image/a0t76w33b/

The cooler on the CPU (3570k@4.4k) is an EVO212, SLI cards are two MSI GTX970 and the coolers on the back and front are those which came already installed with the R5 Define case. I got an Noctua NF-F12 with 1500RPM coming in on monday. Where would be the best place to put it? I thought about putting it on the front under the first fan to get more cool air towards the GPU's. What do you guys think?

Also, should I open the side window facing the GPU's on my case?

longdi

Banned
I got a 2nd fan for my 5820k True Spirit 140 BW Rev A heatsync. I appear to be stable in stability tests but running hot. I'm peaking @ 90C @ 4.4GHz 1.299v. Too hot? That's the peak tho, it's averaging lower than that. I could bring up the voltage and probably get 4.5GHz out of it. Pretty good for air, but considering it's running kind of hot I don't know if I want to risk it.

1.3v is consider high and require going into 2x120mm water cooling territory, at least. Anyway to reduce it?

Granted depend on what u tested with to reach 90c, something like p95 avx2 is unneeded and don't guarantee OC stability even

Grassy

Is that the peak while gaming or in benchmarks? Seems way too high to me. What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it? Maybe try and reseat the heatsink/reapply thermal paste?

SleazyC

Whelp ordered a 2nd PSU, should get it Sunday. Gonna test with it. If that doesn't work I'll try RMAing my CPU, but this is getting fucking ridiculous. Remind me to never build another PC / buy a gaming PC again...
Bad luck but it happens to the best of them.

I remember pulling apart a PC I built like 4 times before I was able to isolate it down to a bad stick of RAM. The great thing about having built a couple computers (if you hoard parts) is that you'll have spare parts around so that it makes testing things a lot less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom