• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

I had same problem with my old GPU so it can't be that.

Did you try different cables? Different PCIE slots?
Do games run without the PC crashing/shutting down?
Possibly drivers, try Display Driver Uninstaller to clean the drivers and install the latest ones.

Woorloog

Banned
550W PSU is enough for an i7 & GTX 970 system when its a quality unit like the Seasonic G series.

A friend recommends that Fractal R4/5 case. Hrmm. Oh, well, i wasn't finished checking them anyway.

As for the PSU, he recommends something with more power, just in case. He also suggests they will lose power over time, and noted that if i ever want to upgrade the GPU, having more powerful PSU is good.

And the memory... Might explain why it was so cheap, because next DDR4 is some 40€ jump, at least from the same store.

A friend recommends that Fractal R4/5 case. Hrmm. Oh, well, i wasn't finished checking them anyway.

As for the PSU, he recommends something with more power, just in case. He also suggests they will lose power over time, and noted that if i ever want to upgrade the GPU, having more powerful PSU is good.

And the memory... Might explain why it was so cheap, because next DDR4 is some 40€ jump, at least from the same store.

You might want to consider getting just a 750W PSU then - that way you can SLI 970's in the future (if your motherboard supports it)

Lemonte

Did you try different cables? Different PCIE slots?
Do games run without the PC crashing/shutting down?
Possibly drivers, try Display Driver Uninstaller to clean the drivers and install the latest ones.

yes I have tried different cables, two different monitors and my tv. I tried other PCIE slot. Nothing works. Games run like they should. No crashing. I have had this issue for 2 years it's just very annoying. But I always thought it was issue with my gpu and I just bought new gpu and the issue still remains. I have done clean windows install multiple times.

Woorloog

Banned
You might want to consider getting just a 750W PSU then - that way you can SLI 970's in the future (if your motherboard supports it)

Yes it does support.
Back to revising the list.

My friend also noted i need some stuff one needs for between CPU and cooler.
And additional fans for the case.

No doubt there will be other stuff i'll need...

LilJoka

Well the CPU is not going to ever draw more than 100W, GPU 300W, as time goes on newer components use less power, so that offsets any small losses on the PSU. I run a lot more hardware on 550W than your rig ever will so it's totally fine. 650W is fine if you want peace of mind.

You apply thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink, it'll come with the heatsink you buy.

On 970 SLI, I don't advise it since it's got the 3.5GB VRAM issue. Fine for high fps, but not for pushing higher detail settings.

Woorloog

Banned
Well the CPU is not going to ever draw more than 100W, GPU 300W, as time goes on newer components use less power, so that offsets any small losses on the PSU. I run a lot more hardware on 550W than your rig ever will so it's totally fine. 650W is fine if you want peace of mind.

You apply thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink, it'll come with the heatsink you buy.

On 970 SLI, I don't advise it since it's got the 3.5GB VRAM issue. Fine for high fps, but not for pushing higher detail settings.

Ah, thermal paste. Right. Didn't recall what it was in English.
SLI support's there but it won't be relevant for me anytime soon. Will remember the VRAM thing.

welly_59

Neo Member
I always feel like I need to upgrade my pc, but I know I'm just having a case of the upgradeitus. Can someone talk sense into me and tell me that I don't need anything. Or maybe I do?

Current set up:
I5 2500k
Gtx 980
120gb ssd
2tb hdd
27" ips monitor
Razer black widow mechanical keyboard
Corsair raptor lm3 mouse

Would a newer i7 be of any benefit to me?

LilJoka

yes I have tried different cables, two different monitors and my tv. I tried other PCIE slot. Nothing works. Games run like they should. No crashing. I have had this issue for 2 years it's just very annoying. But I always thought it was issue with my gpu and I just bought new gpu and the issue still remains. I have done clean windows install multiple times.

Have you tried using DVI and HDMI? Or another combo?

Lemonte

Have you tried using DVI and HDMI? Or another combo?

Yes my monitors are plugged in with hdmi and dvi now. I would like to have both monitors on DVIs but second monitor is very rarely detected. Some nvidia dviver updates change which dvi port works more reliably. I haven't tried Displayport since my monitors don't have it. I need to free that HDMI port for oculus rift or htc vive :)

Lucael

But why not 6600K?
Z170 boards are better than Z97.
Best get the latest and call it a day for the next 2-3 years. :D

Thank you for your help. Just another question, for a gaming-only setup, no OC (at the moment) and one GPU do you suggest a i7-4790K or a i7-5820K over 6600K or I'll barely see any difference?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I always feel like I need to upgrade my pc, but I know I'm just having a case of the upgradeitus. Can someone talk sense into me and tell me that I don't need anything. Or maybe I do?

Current set up:
I5 2500k
Gtx 980
120gb ssd
2tb hdd
27" ips monitor
Razer black widow mechanical keyboard
Corsair raptor lm3 mouse

Would a newer i7 be of any benefit to me?
Hardware-wise you don't need to change a thing, just make sure the cpu is overclocked if you haven't already done so. I'm assuming you have at least 8gb of 1600mhz ddr3 since ram wasn't listed.

LilJoka

Yes my monitors are plugged in with hdmi and dvi now. I would like to have both monitors on DVIs but second monitor is very rarely detected. Some nvidia dviver updates change which dvi port works more reliably. I haven't tried Displayport since my monitors don't have it. I need to free that HDMI port for oculus rift or htc vive :)

It's a very odd problem that's for sure, have you tried a bios update for the motherboard and if possible for the GPU?

So I finally decided I'll just build something new. I already have a video card and power supply to throw in there. Any particular advice (something coming out soon to wait for?) or changes that seem like I should consider? I want something that's a little future proof but doesn't need to be some super beefy monster. Price I can be a little flexible on. I prefer playing games on their higher settings and I'm thinking this should handle current games at 1080p for now and likely for awhile?

I don't follow PC stuff much anymore so the processor and motherboard I'm most uncertain about. The RAM might be overkill? I figured it wouldn't hurt and isn't a huge difference in cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.04 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.59 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $854.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 16:49 EDT-0400

Raxanas

Neo Member
So I finally decided I'll just build something new. I already have a video card and power supply to throw in there. Any particular advice (something coming out soon to wait for?) or changes that seem like I should consider? I want something that's a little future proof but doesn't need to be some super beefy monster. Price I can be a little flexible on. I prefer playing games on their higher settings and I'm thinking this should handle current games at 1080p for now and likely for awhile?

I don't follow PC stuff much anymore so the processor and motherboard I'm most uncertain about. The RAM might be overkill? I figured it wouldn't hurt and isn't a huge difference in cost.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.04 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.59 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $854.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-19 16:49 EDT-0400

Whats your GPU and PSU? If you want more futureproof u could switch to i5 6600k or even i7 6700k...Otherwise the build is fine

Woorloog

Banned
Well this is problematic. Low-latency (CL 12) DDR4 at 2400MHZ (or any other) isn't quite available here yet. And no release dates either. Also on the expensive side, compared to other things.
Guess i'll have to wait then.

LilJoka

Well this is problematic. Low-latency (CL 12) DDR4 at 2400MHZ (or any other) isn't quite available here yet. And no release dates either. Also on the expensive side, compared to other things.
Guess i'll have to wait then.

I wouldn't put it on hold just for that, RAM has negligible impact on gaming performance overall.

Woorloog

Banned
I wouldn't put it on hold just for that, RAM has negligible impact on gaming performance overall.

So, that cheap memory stick i have on my list might be reasonable?
Kingston 16GB(2x8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 MHz, CL14, even if it does have a tad high CL?

EDIT And it just means i have to put things on hold for a week or two, until there's at least an expected release date. Right now it was nothing.
Going to take sometime to do other stuff anyway.

Whats your GPU and PSU? If you want more futureproof u could switch to i5 6600k or even i7 6700k...Otherwise the build is fine

Oh, nothing crazy but they're the two things I've upgraded since I bought this PC around five years ago (or maybe actually longer?).

GPU: Gigabyte R9 270X 2GB
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 600W

Edit: And the i-5 6600k would be an upgrade from what I have listed there? Because it's considerably cheaper.

Raxanas

Neo Member
Oh, nothing crazy but they're the two things I've upgraded since I bought this PC around five years ago (or maybe actually longer?).

GPU: Gigabyte R9 270X 2GB
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 600W

Edit: And the i-5 6600k would be an upgrade from what I have listed there? Because it's considerably cheaper.

Well its more future proof than 4790k.The platform is brand new unlike z97...For games they are pretty much the same...Plus if you dont plan on getting a high end card there is no difference.Otherwise its 1-2 fps...But if u want the 4790k,its a great choice too!

Mystic654

I need to grab some dust filters for Case-Labs Mercury S8S Case. I was thinking of going with DEMCiflex or if theirs a better one to buy? I'm just not sure which dust filters to buy so they would fit.

- One for 120mm Intake (Above the IO) - Want it hidden if Possible
- One for 140mm at the bottom - Want it hidden if Possible

Woorloog

Banned
After some price hunting, i've build a revised list of parts, with more accurate prices, and included an OS. Parts are from different stores, which means i'll have to build this myself but i do not think it will be a big problem.

Intel Core i5-6600K - 274.10€
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO -cooler - 34.90 €
Asus Z170-A ATX - 151.90€
Kingston 16GB(2x8) DDR4 2666MHZ, CL15 - 114.90€ (The memory has a tad high CL but lower latencies will mean higher prices, and they're still upcoming. Figure this is good enough.)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G - 367.90€
Crucial 500GB BX100 2.5" SSD SATA III - 177.90 €
Fractal Design Define R5 - 112€
Fractal Design 140 x 140 x 25mm Dynamic GP-14 - 16.90€, possibly 2x (added an additional case-fan based on my friend's recommendation.)
Seasonic 650W G-650 - 129.90 €
ASUS DVD±RW (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS) - 15€
Windows 7 Home Premium - 39.99€ (Will upgrade to Win10 Home)

Total: 1435.39€, does not include shipping. (For curious, this is 1623.21 USD.)
+50€ if i upgrade to Blu-Ray drive (1485.39€).
EDIT Considering my previous build had poorer memory, didn't include OS or extra fan and had far cheaper case, this is an improvement, i think.

With shipping, i expect the price to be a bit over 1500€.

What else will i need?
Any cables?
Thermal paste possibly, though my friend said he may have some left over so i may not need to buy any.
EDIT Also, if the CPU's overclocked, what kind of CPU cooler is needed? Asking because someone said the CM 212 EVO isn't good enough.

The OS is an OEM license, will this be a problem?

EDIT: "Z170 mobo can't install Win 7 via USB" Oh. OH. Damn. I'm going to have to burn it into a DVD then, i guess? Man, i can't recall if this laptop can burn DVDs...

XBP

Hi guys, so I just set up a new build I made for my cousin. Everything seems to be working fine but for some reason the background of the uefi bios is blurry. Here is a picture I took.

rYZhg0q.jpg

Windows itself if perfect its just the bios which is blurry. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks.

kennah

Hi guys, so I just set up a new build I made for my cousin. Everything seems to be working fine but for some reason the background of the uefi bios is blurry. Here is a picture I took.

rYZhg0q.jpg

Windows itself if perfect its just the bios which is blurry. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks.
Shitty scaler on the monitor. The bios would likely be 640x480

gamerx

I need help my computer turns on by itself after shutdown.
I have every wake on lan setting turned off & restore after power loss set to off.
Should I try updating the BIOS?

Motherboard is a Asus Z97I Plus

Well its more future proof than 4790k.The platform is brand new unlike z97...For games they are pretty much the same...Plus if you dont plan on getting a high end card there is no difference.Otherwise its 1-2 fps...But if u want the 4790k,its a great choice too!

I simply picked the 4790k based off of one of the builds in the OT which is why I'm open for comments to suggest other stuff. I'll definitely swap it out for the 6600k you suggested if the difference is that minor. I'll likely start ordering parts tonight or tomorrow so I'm open to any other comments you may have. Thanks for letting me know about the CPU since that'll save me around $100.

knitoe

I need help my computer turns on by itself after shutdown.
I have every wake on lan setting turned off & restore after power loss set to off.
Should I try updating the BIOS?

Motherboard is a Asus Z97I Plus

Out of 4 PC, one had the same issue. I have tried everything suggest through Google. The only way to stop it was to turn of fast boot in Windows. If you are running off a SSD, you won't notice much of a difference.

longdi

Banned
I need to grab some dust filters for Case-Labs Mercury S8S Case. I was thinking of going with DEMCiflex or if theirs a better one to buy? I'm just not sure which dust filters to buy so they would fit.

- One for 120mm Intake (Above the IO) - Want it hidden if Possible
- One for 140mm at the bottom - Want it hidden if Possible

Silverstone sells such filter sizes too, fine mesh and magnetic and readily available at Amazon.
It should be cheaper than demciflex.

longdi

Banned
Thank you for your help. Just another question, for a gaming-only setup, no OC (at the moment) and one GPU do you suggest a i7-4790K or a i7-5820K over 6600K or I'll barely see any difference?

The three are different category of CPUs in terms of their configuration. Price wise 5820K > 4790K > 6600K.

No OC, 4790K will be the best of them because of the higher default clock speed. Though i would really just read up and do some over-clocking, it is easy and safe as long you do some read up (ie, dont use auto-voltage, know your CPU safe voltage)

Out of the 3, i would go for 5820K, but that is from a PC geek view, the lovely 6 cores / 12 threads.

But for gaming only setup, i would take 6600K. Unless you can buy 4790K at good prices.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any word on when the IPS version of the Asus ROG Swift is supposed to finally release? (27", 144hz, 1440p, gsync)

LilJoka

After some price hunting, i've build a revised list of parts, with more accurate prices, and included an OS. Parts are from different stores, which means i'll have to build this myself but i do not think it will be a big problem.

Intel Core i5-6600K - 274.10€
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO -cooler - 34.90 €
Asus Z170-A ATX - 151.90€
Kingston 16GB(2x8) DDR4 2666MHZ, CL15 - 114.90€ (The memory has a tad high CL but lower latencies will mean higher prices, and they're still upcoming. Figure this is good enough.)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G - 367.90€
Crucial 500GB BX100 2.5" SSD SATA III - 177.90 €
Fractal Design Define R5 - 112€
Fractal Design 140 x 140 x 25mm Dynamic GP-14 - 16.90€, possibly 2x (added an additional case-fan based on my friend's recommendation.)
Seasonic 650W G-650 - 129.90 €
ASUS DVD±RW (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS) - 15€
Windows 7 Home Premium - 39.99€ (Will upgrade to Win10 Home)

Total: 1435.39€, does not include shipping. (For curious, this is 1623.21 USD.)
+50€ if i upgrade to Blu-Ray drive (1485.39€).
EDIT Considering my previous build had poorer memory, didn't include OS or extra fan and had far cheaper case, this is an improvement, i think.

With shipping, i expect the price to be a bit over 1500€.

What else will i need?
Any cables?
Thermal paste possibly, though my friend said he may have some left over so i may not need to buy any.
EDIT Also, if the CPU's overclocked, what kind of CPU cooler is needed? Asking because someone said the CM 212 EVO isn't good enough.

The OS is an OEM license, will this be a problem?

EDIT: "Z170 mobo can't install Win 7 via USB" Oh. OH. Damn. I'm going to have to burn it into a DVD then, i guess? Man, i can't recall if this laptop can burn DVDs...

You may want to go matx especially if SLI isn't important to you.

The hyper 212 comes with thermal
Paste, enough for atleast 2 applications as all other heatsinks do to. Hyper 212 is enough for a small overclock, something from phanteks or noctua would be a big step up.

Oem license is fine. Maybe get win 8 instead of 7 so you can USB install.

I don't see any point in extra fans, for you a simple 120mm intake and exhaust will do.

Woorloog

Banned
You may want to go matx especially if SLI isn't important to you.

The hyper 212 comes with thermal
Paste, enough for atleast 2 applications as all other heatsinks do to. Hyper 212 is enough for a small overclock, something from phanteks or noctua would be a big step up.

Oem license is fine.

I don't see any point in extra fans, for you a simple 120mm intake and exhaust will do.

Thank you.
I haven't really settled on the case yet. My friend recommends R-series as he has one, he also recommended the extra fan, though now i realize i didn't ask why (his build is from 2012, i think. OTOH, R-series don't seem to be the coolest cases, so extra fans might not be bad?
Looks wise, R-series looks reasonable. Space won't be an issue most likely.

LilJoka

Thank you.
I haven't really settled on the case yet. My friend recommends R-series as he has one, he also recommended the extra fan, though now i realize i didn't ask why (his build is from 2012, i think. OTOH, R-series don't seem to be the coolest cases, so extra fans might not be bad?
Looks wise, R-series looks reasonable. Space won't be an issue most likely.

I've built in the case, it's massive, the drives sit behind the motherboard meaning the whole area in front of the board/GPU is totally empty, imo only a good case if you plan to run a 240x120x50mm rad or something like that. To me though it's just too big not much point and not efficient use of space, that's why I recommend the Arc Mini R2.

Edit* mistaken I was thinking of another of their cases. But still highly recommend the R2.

And yes you are right, the R4/5 have acrostic dampening if I remember correctly so they tend to run a few degrees warmer, that doesn't matter though. Running at safe temps is important, not how cool it runs.

You have hardly much power being dissipated in your build, hence you won't need more fans, you could cram that build into ITX and still be fine.

ahoyle77

Probably a completely stupid question, but google doesnt help me much. Have system on the way with a gtx 960, and it says it has dual link dvi output. My monitor has dvi-d. What cable do I need?

Jag

I built my son a PC a few years ago for low end gaming and school. Now that I've upgraded, I'm deciding whether to put my former upgrades into his PC or give him my 7 year old Dell XPS 435. The SSD (Crucial 120GB) and graphics card (MSI Radeon 7800) will be the same for either, so the decision really is the CPU, case and power supply (think the Dell has a stock 450, but it runs the 7800).

CPU wise, his PC has an AMD Phenom II X4 945. My old one has an i7 920 @ 2.67GHz. The Passmark score for the i7 (4990) is better than the AMD (3729), but the mobo, case and PC for the AMD system is newer and better.

So the question is whether the old dell intel PC is fast enough over the AMD to use instead of the newer AMD system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom