• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

so ive noticed my GPU is bending!

plz let that be something normal. if not, what can i do about it. please its freaking me out since the PC window is next to me

ill try to take pics but you may not nnotice the bending on the right side:

It's not uncommon. Supposedly, having a back-plate on the video card could help. A simple way is just to lodge in there a stick or something else and hold up the card.

so ive noticed my GPU is bending!

plz let that be something normal. if not, what can i do about it. please its freaking me out since the PC window is next to me

ill try to take pics but you may not nnotice the bending on the right side:

No need to freak out, the card is heavy so it just droops a bit.

One other thing you can do, aside from what knitoe suggested, is to route the pci power cables so that it comes out from the back of the case above the card, and thus will help hold it up a bit.

Which model are you looking at? I bought the MSI 390 on Saturday and have been using it since then. I have never owned an AMD GPU, just tested a few in the past. So far the card runs pretty nice, around 61-62 degrees on load. I have done some slight OC with the card, but don't want to push it since I am on a Silverstone 550W Gold rated PSU. The card is not loud either which I wasn't expecting since I have tested some 7970, 7950, 270, and 280's in the past.

The MSI 390 is great too, they cover the VRM's and the heat sink is really well built. It also includes a back plate at $329.

I bought the MSI one yeah, £240, so not bad at all. Backplate is nice but my case is a HAF XB so only really the top of the card is visible anyway.

I bought the MSI one yeah, £240, so not bad at all. Backplate is nice but my case is a HAF XB so only really the top of the card is visible anyway.

PM me when you have a chance with how the card is running for you. I keep going back and forth about just going back to NVIDIA, even though this is a nice card. AMD scares me a little with their history of lackluster driver support + who knows where they will be financially in 6 months.

Decided to buy GTAV to try out on my PC. Ran ultra pretty smoothly for the prologue. Still unsure if GSync is functioning or not. Will benchmark it tonight but goddamn it looks good. I didn't put any time into the game on my PS4 (beat it on my PS3) but this just looks like a massive improvement.

Anyway have a mod tutorial? Don't have a clue how to do it.

If the difference is about £150-200...is it worth going for the asus rog 27 swift gsync etc etc over something thats 1440/ips etc but obvs cheaper? part of me thinks not. but then again since i'm going to be doing pay monthly and the difference then is about 10 its not the end of the world.

So I tried to OC my ASUS 980ti Strix using the ASUS GPU TweakII tool, and when I did it was almost like it was a bad PC since output to my monitor stopped. What's up with that?

RGM79

You've been incredibly helpful, thank you!

So after considering your post and doing some further research on my own, I've come to the conclusion that the most inexpensive upgrade to my current PC would be to get the GTX 960. I currently rock an i3-2100 and Corsair CX430W PSU, and it's a surprisingly common combo with the GTX 960. Seems people can run nearly every game out there today at 1080p with max settings.

Opting for the R9 280 or 380 means I would need to buy a new PSU, and I just can't spend that money right now.

Again, here are my parts:

Does the GTX 960 fit in a Rosewill Challenger case? Is it compatible with my motherboard? And is this the best RAM around $45 that I can get for my motherboard? And is it compatible with my current RAM? And finally, should I opt for the EVGA 960s since they come with MGSV?

Thanks everyone!

The Gigabyte GTX 960 I recommended to you earlier is fairly compact at only 181mm long, while your Rosewill case supports graphics cards up to 289mm in length. It'll be fine. As for your RAM, that RAM you linked to will work, but it would be cheaper for you to get 4GB of RAM to add to your existing 4GB for a total of 8GB. For example, this stick of Patriot 1333MHz 4GB will cost you only $20.

The Nvidia promotion for the free redeemable MGSV:TPP code with certain graphics cards has already ended over two weeks ago.

friend asked me to help him pick out parts for a new build for $1500 or less. What do you guys think?

cmHYOom.png

Is it worth switching over to a 390?

He realistically wants the best bang for the buck performance at 1920x1080 while being able to stream on a single pc setup

Would your friend be willing to order from other retailers or are you guys trying to keep it to Newegg only? There are ways to lower costs and/or get better parts. For example, this build is slightly better but costs $120 less:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($369.90 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1163.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-23 11:46 EDT-0400

Compared to your parts list, this includes a CPU cooler and a stronger power supply. The DVD drive was dropped as it's not really required nowadays.

So I tried to OC my ASUS 980ti Strix using the ASUS GPU TweakII tool, and when I did it was almost like it was a bad PC since output to my monitor stopped. What's up with that?

Bad settings resulted in a crash?

The Boat

He is planning on streaming (on a single pc). Usually an i7 is much better for that is it not?

Yeah this is kind of what I'm wondering right now. I don't know if I should go i7 which would mean a poorer gfx card or i5 with a better card, I don't know if the difference in performance is that big.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bit off topic, but what's the best method for improving tearing during flashing images during play? I'm surprisingly good at ignoring tearing during general play, but when there's a sequence of flashing light it's pretty damn annoying. Best examples I can give would be something like alarm lights flickering indoors, or lighting strikes illuminating the entire screen. You can definitely see the torn image during these sequences.

Is vsync the only option?

RGM79

Bit off topic, but what's the best method for improving tearing during flashing images during play? I'm surprisingly good at ignoring tearing during general play, but when there's a sequence of flashing light it's pretty damn annoying. Best examples I can give would be something like alarm lights flickering indoors, or lighting strikes illuminating the entire screen. You can definitely see the torn image during these sequences.

Is vsync the only option?

Have you tried using Rivatuner to limit framerate? In most peoples' experience, it seems to be more consistent than vsync. Rivatuner is installed as part of MSI Afterburner, but is a separate program.

This is probably a stupid question but do any of the monitors come with built in speakers?

Which monitors? Some monitors do have speakers, yes.

Najaf

Any word on a release date for the new ROG SWIFT? The PG2749Q?

It was announced in June and supposedly is a Q3 release but it's been crickets since it was revealed.

The main feature that sets it apart from the old Swift is its an IPS panel and the inclusion of a secondary HDMI input (that I'll use for consoles).

Any word on a release date for the new ROG SWIFT? The PG2749Q?

It was announced in June and supposedly is a Q3 release but it's been crickets since it was revealed.

The main feature that sets it apart from the old Swift is its an IPS panel and the inclusion of a secondary HDMI input (that I'll use for consoles).

European preorder sites listing it as November

Actually...if you have two monitors but game on one etc...would it make sense to spend the money to have both monitors be ips/gsync etc or just the one you play games on be gsync? Can't really see the point of both but maybe i'm missing something obvious (probably am).

Otherwise I might get the 1440p/ips monitor now and when this new rog swift comes out, save up (well save up etc and get it at some point in the new year as long as its not shit) as the "main" monitor.

Bad settings resulted in a crash?

I dunno. Took me awhile to get it back up and running, then ticked OC Mode in TweakII before opening GTAV and it worked fine. Was it because GTAV had been opening and Steam was running?

Anyway, maxed out pretty much everything on GTAV and ran the benchmarks, getting a min of 60 and a max of 116 it seems. It looks amazing and I haven't run these checks yet in OC mode, but I'm pretty happy.

Dang it.

I think my gpu is dying or dead. 2 crashes while playing Medieval II TW (black screens and no input detected etc) and on restart now (after a crash during d3) everything is in 640x480 sorta resolution, it can only detect 1 monitor etc...sigh...unless maybe latest nvidia drivers are just...buggy as? It's acting like i didn't install them yesterday (i did)...

this almost makes me worry about a new PC as this would be the...second PC to die on me this year. 1 was mine, this may be my dads...

PM me when you have a chance with how the card is running for you. I keep going back and forth about just going back to NVIDIA, even though this is a nice card. AMD scares me a little with their history of lackluster driver support + who knows where they will be financially in 6 months.

I will let you know, no worries!

Salsa

That BIOS line says it changes the bandwidth for the 16_2 slot, implying your card is in the 16_2 slot. Alternatively it could be to force a certain setting, try changing that to Auto since there's no reason for you to set it to something specific. If that doesn't work try using the "wrong" slots.

card is def in the 16_1 slot

thought about just changing it to 16_2 tho. it'd be weird if that worked..

So I had to take out all of my parts and put them back in to install my 970 due to the shape of my case, which required removing the motherboard and everything. Now the PC won't start :/ the fans don't even spin when I press the power button and the power button doesn't make the usual electrical click I normally hear. :/ I don't know what I've done wrong :(

Sequincer

Neo Member
So I had to take out all of my parts and put them back in to install my 970 due to the shape of my case, which required removing the motherboard and everything. Now the PC won't start :/ the fans don't even spin when I press the power button and the power button doesn't make the usual electrical click I normally hear. :/ I don't know what I've done wrong :(

Troubleshoot step by step.

Step 1: Check if you connected the cases power on/off cables to motherboard or if they are loose (most common cause)

Step 2: Check if you connected all the power supply cables correctly to the motherboard (8pin + 24pin) and make sure the cables are connected into the power supply correctly

I could go on, but you get the jist of what I am saying.

Troubleshoot step by step.

Step 1: Check if you connected the cases power on/off cables to motherboard or if they are loose (most common cause)

Step 2: Check if you connected all the power supply cables correctly to the motherboard (8pin + 24pin) and make sure the cables are connected into the power supply correctly

I could go on, but you get the jist of what I am saying.
The motherboard cables are really stiff and I can't get them out. :/ The GPU seems to be getting power though as a white light comes on when I turn on the PSU at the back. But the motherboard seems to be not working.

Edit: I had the CPU power cable from the PSU plugged in the wrong way round. Hope I haven't broken anything, the computer is on now and I'm about to install the NVIDIA driver. Thanks so much :)

So after installing the new drivers for a sec when my computer first turned on it did the weird graphic glitch I normally associate with overclocking too much. Like the screen squared out but then everything was fine. Is that normal? Trying to play something now to test (AC: Unity)

RGM79

So after installing the new drivers for a sec when my computer first turned on it did the weird graphic glitch I normally associate with overclocking too much. Like the screen squared out but then everything was fine. Is that normal? Trying to play something now to test (AC: Unity)

It's probably just Windows taking a second to switch over to the latest Nvidia drivers from whatever it was using before.

It's probably just Windows taking a second to switch over to the latest Nvidia drivers from whatever it was using before.
Alright, thanks :) testing it out on AK and Unity now, trying to make sure that I put everything back in right and that I didn't do any damage by plugging in the CPU power the wrong way.

Grokbu

Hey guys.

I am sitting on an old pc and am going to want to upgrade for Street Fighter V. What I am worrying about the most is the CPU. I was looking at the spec recommendations that have been posted, and while I'm not sure how precise these are (I think that they might be for the beta, though, but I'm not exactly sure), this is what was said about the CPU.
Minimum: Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60GHz
Recommended: Intel Core i5-4690K @3.50GHz
So I am looking into buying some pre-owned parts, and I have seen some 2600K's for good prices. While it is probably hard to answer, I was wondering if anyone could possibly have some sort of idea of how a 2600K @4.0GHz would fare compared to a 4690K @3.50GHz? I really want to make sure that this game runs at 60fps at all times during a fight and never dips.

kennah

Hey guys.

I am sitting on an old pc and am going to want to upgrade for Street Fighter V. What I am worrying about the most is the CPU. I was looking at the spec recommendations that have been posted, and while I'm not sure how precise these are (I think that they might be for the beta, though, but I'm not exactly sure), this is what was said about the CPU.

So I am looking into buying some pre-owned parts, and I have seen some 2600K's for good prices. While it is probably hard to answe, I was wondering if anyone could possibly have some sort of idea of how a 2600K @4.0GHz would fare compared to a 4690K @3.50GHz? I really want to make sure that this game runs at 60fps at all times during a fight and never dips.
What do you have now?

Grokbu

What do you have now?

CPU: 9950 @2.60GHz
GPU: 6950 2GB
RAM: 4GB

I am most probably going to build a completely new system, while still using my old HDD and accesories like monitor etc.

Edit 2: Sorry, I should have probably mentioned this earlier, but I am planning on buying a not too expensive PC to play Street FIghter V, and some time in the future buy something better, maybe for VR etc.

RGM79

So something like this just happened to me in Arkham Knight, then the game crashed. Just installed my 970 today, it's not overclocked. It's the ASUS STRIX edition. :/

Huh.. that's not looking good. Try a stress test like MSI Kombustor or 3DMark Fire Strike.

Hey. Funny you mention it, I have had my eyes on that perticular model of 960 for quite some time (gigabyte GV-N960OC-4GD) but can't find a single review of it on the whole internet :^(
Mainly, would like to know if its fans stop under a certain temp like "bigger" models do. But of course, if you know a site that has a full review of it, tha'd be even better ^^

It doesn't seem to have that feature, unfortunately. If it did, then Gigabyte would gladly advertise it like they did for their top end GTX 960 G1 Gaming model. Such a feature does not appear at all on the official product page for the GV-N960OC-4GD.

Unfortunately I don't know of any reviews either.

RGM79

It just happened again, in Arkham Knight. Should I re-install drivers? Or is the card fucked? I'll just get a replacement but yeah, from boot now that glitch happens. I just restarted my PC and before even getting to the login screen those squares appeared. :/

You put the graphics card back at stock clock speeds, right?

RGM79

I didn't overclock it :/ running at stock clocks.

Ah, sorry, I'm a little mixed up at the moment. Earlier I misread your comment about squares appearing during bootup as well.

Seems like the graphics card is damaged? You could try a different PCI-E slot or cable, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference.

Ah, sorry, I'm a little mixed up at the moment. Earlier I misread your comment about squares appearing during bootup as well.

Seems like the graphics card is damaged? You could try a different PCI-E slot or cable, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference.
Ok :( I thought so. Just re-installed the drivers, going to take it for another spin but if it doesn't work I'll get on to Amazon's CS asap. :( sucks, I was so excited!

So I put my 750 Ti back in and let the Valley Benchmark run for a while, it's running fine so it was definitely the 970 that was defective. Sucks, it'll be a few days before the replacement arrives. Ah well.

MisterNoisy

I hate waiting for parts to arrive. Everything but the mobo and CPU is here and I'm staring at these parts wanting the rest of my Lego kit. Dammit.

Just built a new pc!

Exciting times. Ended up with an Asus GTX 980 4 GB. I saw there is a Ti edition but it was 200 dollars more. What's the difference?

Seems like nobody noticed my posts about what additional 2TB storage drive to get. Hmm...

Oh well, might as well as post about it now again. Running a single drive without anywhere good to store backups isn't exactly a good idea, and my external drives are a bit small.

RGM79

Seems like nobody noticed my posts about what additional 2TB storage drive to get. Hmm...

Oh well, might as well as post about it now again. Running a single drive without anywhere good to store backups isn't exactly a good idea, and my external drives are a bit small.

For brands, I like Toshiba, Western Digital, and Hitachi/HGST. Seagate probably isn't too bad, but their reputation isn't great. Assuming you're in the US, how about this Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM drive for $72?

Gowans

Guys I have access to the following PC setup for some VR, 3D work.

What do I need to know?

Samsung U32D970Q Monitor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X (8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Triple NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN X with 36GB GDDR5
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133MHz (8GB x 4)
512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Guys I have access to the following PC setup for some VR, 3D work.

What do I need to know?

Samsung U32D970Q Monitor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X (8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Triple NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN X with 36GB GDDR5
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133MHz (8GB x 4)
512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
>.>
<.<
that you have a great PC? o_O

Gowans

>.>
<.<
that you have a great PC? o_O

Yeah I know its gona be a heavy load lifter.

I'm hoping it shows up today so I can update to Win 10, whack some software on it and give it a good test drive.

Any tips? I know I have to hook it up via display port to get 60Hz from the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom