• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy Duck

Why is it so had to pick a bloody monitor.

I was going to go with the VG248QE but after having two of them with different defects they both went back and this has made me wary of getting another one even if I got the monitor checked by the company supplying it.

But then I just end up in a rabbit hole of reviews for monitors in the 24" ange priced between £200-£250. The Iiyama one looks OK and seems to get good user reviews, but then so does other things.

God I hate being indecisive. I am also pretty much pigeon holed now to the only supplier in the UK who offers a monitor checking service when bought online because there is no decent retailer nearby of monitors that are 144hz.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
So...is it worth me upgrading to the GTX 980Ti from a 970?
Are you gaming in 4k?

If no -> then no

Else if -> no.

I have a ti. It's so not needed. And there's really no card out there that can handle 60 ultra 4k. So in my PERSONAL opinion. It's not worth it. Unless your like me, some one who bought into the hype.

Edit.
If you're thinking that I regret my decision. I don't, in fact, I love my 980ti.

So my MSI 390 came today and it look alright. Hate the plastic on it, after coming from a reference 780 it just feels cheap. Backplate doesn't bother me as I only see the top of it in my HAFXB.

Got a call to say the mobo isnt the gaming version so it won't go with the card colour wise but ah well, in don't really have a choice at the moment.

Motherboard isnt here yet so my poor 390 must wait.

Gowans

So this rig has just showed up, just updating to Win10 but is their anything I need to know about running these three graphics cards together or does it just work?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Are you gaming in 4k?

If no -> then no

Else if -> no.

I have a ti. It's so not needed. And there's really no card out there that can handle 60 ultra 4k. So in my PERSONAL opinion. It's not worth it. Unless your like me, some one who bought into the hype.

Edit.
If you're thinking that I regret my decision. I don't, in fact, I love my 980ti.

How about for 1440p? 980 ti worth it there?

How about for 1440p? 980 ti worth it there?

It's all a matter of balance. I think at 1440p it is easy to justify a 980 Ti. That said, I play at 1440p with a 970 and I have been quite happy.

It depends on how willing you are to reduce settings and what refresh rate you are playing at (and aiming for). It also depends on the types of games you play.

The best way to answer your question is to look at benchmarks of games you care about with settings you want to play at and see what GPU is the best fit for your needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($373.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($163.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1308.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-24 13:16 EDT-0400

at this point I just want to make sure the RAM, Mobo, and PSU are solid choices for this build (friend wants to get everything from newegg)

Clydefrog

I have been pondering about building a new PC since my current one is about 4 years old now. As it turns out, my PC has started to show its age. A few weeks ago, it randomly lost power for like 8 hours. Like someone had unplugged it. The outlet was fine so I assume it was my PSU acting up. It magically regained power and lasted fine until last night when it lost power again. This morning, still no power.

Rather than troubleshoot the issue to determine the exact cause, I'm going to start sourcing parts for a new build. I'll probably do something between the Excellent and Enthusiast build. Is now a good time as any to start buying?

My old PSU is a Corsair. I noticed that brand is not listed in the OP's builds. Are they no longer considered excellent PSUs?

Edit: ooh broadbandito, I like that build...

So guys I saw that my monitor support AMD freesync, should I go for a 970 or a 390? The monitor is 2560x1080, but I plan to upgrade to a 3440x1440. Which GPU will be more future proof? What will I lose going AMD?

Unison

A friend of mine is looking for a pre-built PC (not including monitor) for under $1000. Some light gaming capability would be great.

I always build my own PC, so I have no clue what to recommend. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine is looking for a pre-built PC (not including monitor) for under $1000. Some light gaming capability would be great.

I always build my own PC, so I have no clue what to recommend. Any suggestions?
Get NCIX to build one? I think it costs 50 bucks. There are probably other sites that do it, I dunno offhand.

Raptomex

So I'm thinking of building a new PC which I've never done but can figure out. The one thing it needs to have is WiFi compatibility. I want to go internal network card. What mobo slots or anything else should I be looking for?

RGM79

So it just uses a PCIE slot? That was easy.

Yep. If you have specific needs (like a super compact PC) then there are certain small motherboards that have wifi built in.

If you want advice for a whole new build, you can fill out the short questionnaire from the first post of this thread and post it here for us to understand more about your situation, budget, and requirements.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($373.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($163.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1308.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-24 13:16 EDT-0400

at this point I just want to make sure the RAM, Mobo, and PSU are solid choices for this build (friend wants to get everything from newegg)

The Z170A is what I have in my new build and no complaints from me so far, your PSU looks fine as well. I'd go up to 16 GB of RAM if it fits the budget, just makes more sense.

Probably a dumb question but I've been playing Mad Max on my new PC and it has an option for 2517x1527 resolution that I've never noticed in a game before building my new PC. I see counter strike also has this option.

I am positive my monitor is native 1920x1080 so why do I have the option to select a higher resolution? Is it doing anything for me or should I just select 1080?

Edit: it sounds like it might be this?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics

Vuze

Probably a dumb question but I've been playing Mad Max on my new PC and it has an option for 2517x1527 resolution that I've never noticed in a game before building my new PC. I see counter strike also has this option.

I am positive my monitor is native 1920x1080 so why do I have the option to select a higher resolution? Is it doing anything for me or should I just select 1080?

Edit: it sounds like it might be this?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics
Probably, if you use a recent Nvidia card. But it shouldn't be enabled by default.

Talents

Banned
So I'm looking at the FUNC headset in the OP and was wondering how good the sound quality is? Anyone got any thoughts on it? I recently had Gamescom 780 headset and I was pretty pleased with the sound quality even though it was a fairly cheap headset. Anyone got any thoughts on the FUNC?

byropoint

Not sure if this is the thread for troubleshooting issues with a new build but here it goes...

My CPU is acting strangely, it's at 15-20% load when I'm doing nothing and the problem goes away after I put the PC in sleep and wake it up after a few seconds, I found this workaround on a MacBook forum as it seems 2014 Macbooks had a similar issue.

I ran some tests, LatencyMon reports ACPI.sys as the culprit (it's far above anything else on the driver execution list), Process Explorer seems to be pointing at 'interrupts' under the 'System' tab and in Task Manager the 'System' and 'System interrupts' processes are clearly the cause.

I've tried updating the BIOS and the chipset driver, disabling the LAN, audio, GPU and wireless adapter drivers to no avail. Any ideas?

System specs:

Windows 10 64
i7 6700k
ASRock Z170 ITX/ac
16gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz
Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8gb
Seasonic S12G 650w
1TB WD Blue HDD

I just bought the LG 34UM95 and I don't know if I should be disappointed in the amount of light bleed this monitor has. I love the monitor but I kind of feel like this is excessive considering the price.
GdvBfpC.jpg

Do I have unrealistic expectations or does that seem like an unacceptable amount of light bleed?

M3z_

That is IPS glow and it seems very minor especially know that pictures often make IPS glow appear much worse than it does in real life.

x3sphere

I just bought the LG 34UM95 and I don't know if I should be disappointed in the amount of light bleed this monitor has. I love the monitor but I kind of feel like this is excessive considering the price.

Do I have unrealistic expectations or does that seem like an unacceptable amount of light bleed?
Based on other ultrawides I've seen that is one of the better samples. You can try returning but it's likely you could get one that's worse.

knitoe

Not sure if this is the thread for troubleshooting issues with a new build but here it goes...

My CPU is acting strangely, it's at 15-20% load when I'm doing nothing and the problem goes away after I put the PC in sleep and wake it up after a few seconds, I found this workaround on a MacBook forum as it seems 2014 Macbooks had a similar issue.

I ran some tests, LatencyMon reports ACPI.sys as the culprit (it's far above anything else on the driver execution list), Process Explorer seems to be pointing at 'interrupts' under the 'System' tab and in Task Manager the 'System' and 'System interrupts' processes are clearly the cause.

I've tried updating the BIOS and the chipset driver, disabling the LAN, audio, GPU and wireless adapter drivers to no avail. Any ideas?

System specs:

Windows 10 64
i7 6700k
ASRock Z170 ITX/ac
16gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz
Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8gb
Seasonic S12G 650w
1TB WD Blue HDD

I found this thread. It may help.

http://superuser.com/questions/577008/system-acpi-sys-is-always-using-about-15-20-of-my-cpu

GdvBfpC.jpg

Is this why so many ultrawides are now coming out with curved screens? Are the excessive viewing angles causing gamma issues for the far left and right when viewed straight on? Or are they being made curved now for other reasons?

I'm not trying to state that that's the issue, just curious. When I get home from work I'll turn my monitor on and look at it from different angles. (I have the freesync LG Ultrawide)

So, nearly all my parts have arrived and I'm close to putting it together.

Somehow I bought the wrong processor, heh. A few pages back I posted my potential build with an i7-4790 I believe it was. One person suggested an i5-6600k and it seems that's not listed on pcpartpicker or something since it doesn't come up when I search it but instead I added the i5-4690 to the build and purchased that (likely because it was right next to the i7 I was looking at in the processor list so I just thought, "Oh hey, there's the processor that was suggested!"). I see newegg.com has the 6600k for a little more than I paid for the 4690. I'm assuming the difference is quite noticeable between them in performance? I'll have to return the wrong one and just order it from Newegg.com. Ugh.

Second thing, any real difference between these two: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compa...ssd1,pny-internal-hard-drive-ssd7cs1111240rb/ ?

I have the Crucial drive on its way but it's the last thing I need (aside from the potential processor swap) but the PNY drive is cheaper and available at Best Buy so I can just run out and grab that tomorrow and return the Crucial drive. Is there some speed difference or something I should consider or some other reason to spend the $30 more?

Lastly, first time building a PC in around 14 years. I'm assuming I just screw in the motherboard and then start attaching things? No real wrong order to that sort of thing? I figure the PSU goes last and I just connect power to everything once it's all set in the case.

Anyhow, hopefully it all goes well. Just miffed about the processor and now having to wait awhile longer.

Raxanas

Neo Member
So, nearly all my parts have arrived and I'm close to putting it together.

Somehow I bought the wrong processor, heh. A few pages back I posted my potential build with an i7-4790 I believe it was. One person suggested an i5-6600k and it seems that's not listed on pcpartpicker or something since it doesn't come up when I search it but instead I added the i5-4690 to the build and purchased that (likely because it was right next to the i7 I was looking at in the processor list so I just thought, "Oh hey, there's the processor that was suggested!"). I see newegg.com has the 6600k for a little more than I paid for the 4690. I'm assuming the difference is quite noticeable between them in performance? I'll have to return the wrong one and just order it from Newegg.com. Ugh.

Second thing, any real difference between these two: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compa...ssd1,pny-internal-hard-drive-ssd7cs1111240rb/ ?

I have the Crucial drive on its way but it's the last thing I need (aside from the potential processor swap) but the PNY drive is cheaper and available at Best Buy so I can just run out and grab that tomorrow and return the Crucial drive. Is there some speed difference or something I should consider or some other reason to spend the $30 more?

Lastly, first time building a PC in around 14 years. I'm assuming I just screw in the motherboard and then start attaching things? No real wrong order to that sort of thing? I figure the PSU goes last and I just connect power to everything once it's all set in the case.

Anyhow, hopefully it all goes well. Just miffed about the processor and now having to wait awhile longer.

6600K is 6-7% better and overcklockable if u get a nice aftermarket cooler....I would get the crucial one just based on my expirience with my SSD.3 years counting strong!PNY is kinda unknown!Also the i5 6600k needs z170 motherboard...Otherwise go and return the 4690 and get a 4690k or i7 4790k..I think you have bought a z97 one?

The build order is sth like this....You get out the MB.You put the cpu in socket and secure it,put the memory,put the MB on case and don forget the IO panel,put the bracket for cpu cooler,apply paste and put the cooler,connect everything from the case and fans to the mb,put the psu and connect everything,put the gpu last.Pray to gods that nothing is DOA and u will be fine....Or make an open testbench to test if anything is DOA first

AlanOC91

Guys. I'm about to purchase an Asus 980ti to replace my crossfire R9 290s.

What's your opinions on this? I mainly doing it for HDMI 2.0 on my new Samsung 4k TV.
Am I losing frames doing this? Or will it be a somewhat decent upgrade?

Don't get me wrong. I run an FX8350 at 4.7ghz with my crossfire R9s and the 4k performance is fantastic imo.

It's just the HDMI 2.0 is killing me and I'm not patient enough for the adapters.

I got paid from work today and it's also my birthday so I was going got treat myself to some new PC part.

Raxanas

Neo Member
Guys. I'm about to purchase an Asus 980ti to replace my crossfire R9 290s.

What's your opinions on this? I mainly doing it for HDMI 2.0 on my new Samsung 4k TV.
Am I losing frames doing this? Or will it be a somewhat decent upgrade?

Don't get me wrong. I run an FX8350 at 4.7ghz with my crossfire R9s and the 4k performance is fantastic imo.

It's just the HDMI 2.0 is killing me and I'm not patient enough for the adapters.

I got paid from work today and it's also my birthday so I was going got treat myself to some new PC part.

Will you sell the 290s???If yes it is a sidegrade but if u got a 4k tv you kinda have to do it.....To drive 4k 60fps on ultra u kinda need 2x 980 ti...If i were you i would wait for Pascal..It might release after half a year+ but it will be prolly worth it...
If u are too impatient go for it though...I would certainly check the EVGA Classified 980 ti if you live in USA first!

6600K is 6-7% better and overcklockable if u get a nice aftermarket cooler....I would get the crucial one just based on my expirience with my SSD.3 years counting strong!PNY is kinda unknown!Also the i5 6600k needs z170 motherboard...Otherwise go and return the 4690 and get a 4690k or i7 4790k..I think you have bought a z97 one?

The build order is sth like this....You get out the MB.You put the cpu in socket and secure it,put the memory,put the MB on case and don forget the IO panel,put the bracket for cpu cooler,apply paste and put the cooler,connect everything from the case and fans to the mb,put the psu and connect everything,put the gpu last.Pray to gods that nothing is DOA and u will be fine....Or make an open testbench to test if anything is DOA first

You're correct, I got a Z97 so I guess it's good I didn't get the 6600k! And yeah, I got a 4690k, not a 4690, just forgot the k on the end. I may just stick with the 4690k instead of bothering to swap for a 4790k. It was around $100 more for the i7 and for my purposes it probably isn't a big enough difference. But if I should wait for the Crucial drive and will be waiting anyhow...

Thanks for the build order. I was just going to start plopping everything together and call it good.

Raxanas

Neo Member
You're correct, I got a Z97 so I guess it's good I didn't get the 6600k! And yeah, I got a 4690k, not a 4690, just forgot the k on the end. I may just stick with the 4690k instead of bothering to swap for a 4790k. It was around $100 more for the i7 and for my purposes it probably isn't a big enough difference. But if I should wait for the Crucial drive and will be waiting anyhow...

Thanks for the build order. I was just going to start plopping everything together and call it good.

You can also check to get more tips!!!Good luck!
http://choosemypc.net/assemblyguide/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

Hi there!

In the end I decided not to buy 980 ti - I decided to went with either r9 290x or r9 390x, buy UPS. However I am planning to move to the HBM2 videocards in the near future. (motherboard allow to switch off PCI-E ports)

So what should I pick now - 290x or 390x? Or 390? I play in 1080p anyway and MSI R9 390 looks tempting + dx12 support

kennah

You'll be fine with the 4690k

Put my 970 in today and after uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, I was getting like 10fps in Unity, the Valley benchmark was getting like 5-6 fps and stuttering. No idea what's wrong so I'm just going to fresh install Windows.

Put my 970 in today and after uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, I was getting like 10fps in Unity, the Valley benchmark was getting like 5-6 fps and stuttering. No idea what's wrong so I'm just going to fresh install Windows.
1. Uninstall drivers via Control Panel Add/Remove
2. Run Display Driver Uninstaller
3. Turn off PC
4. Remove old GPU, install new GPU
5. Turn on PC
6. Install fresh new drivers

Did you do that or...? If not ,try it, might as well save you from a "Format C:" situation. ;)

1. Uninstall drivers via Control Panel Add/Remove
2. Run Display Driver Uninstaller
3. Turn off PC
4. Remove old GPU, install new GPU
5. Turn on PC
6. Install fresh new drivers

Did you do that or...? If not ,try it, might as well save you from a "Format C:" situation. ;)
Already started the Format C: option :p doesn't bother me too much as I was running a W8.1 -> W10 upgrade. I'm installing W10 fresh just now. Hoping this fixes it :)

Rufus

Didn't you already determine that the card is fucked? Or is that your previous card?

Kezen

Banned
Already started the Format C: option :p doesn't bother me too much as I was running a W8.1 -> W10 upgrade. I'm installing W10 fresh just now. Hoping this fixes it :)

Are you sure you plugged your card into the correct PCI-E slot ? It could be that your GPU is running at 1.1 and not 3.0, check GPU-Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom