• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It resets the motherboard to factory settings. I haven't followed your issues so I don't know if it would help or not. If you don't have a bios/cmos reset button there should be 2-3 pins somewhere on the motherboard. Need to move the jumper if there are three, or put a jumper on if there are two. Then start the PC, turn it off after some seconds, move them back.

Edit: PC just not booting. Could be the jumper in the wrong place to start with. Could also be your one of your front panel pins being reversed. Those are pains in the ass. Brother's PC wouldn't boot because one of those was reversed.

Thanks. Gonna try booting it from outside the case first, I have a feeling I mightve screwed the mobo too tightly into the case and it might be shorting because of that. So ima put it on top of the bag and then boot it that way w/ the ram and graphics card in.

If it is the pins Ill take a picture of the mobo because I have no idea what they look like lol

Septimius

So this is my current parts list. How does it look? Reusing some old parts

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($240.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($165.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($684.98 @ Newegg)
Case: [REUSING] Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: [REUSING] Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1521.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 16:17 EDT-0400

LilJoka

I actually quite like the look of the Thermaltake case, tbh. Not sure what's the difference between the two motherboards (aside from size and the ITX having built-in wi-fi) that's worth paying twice as much for it. Point taken on the hard drive and the RAM. Graphics card: I'll probably stick with my half-sized card for ease of building reasons. Power supply, I'll be happy to pay the extra fiver for a fully modular power supply.

Wouldn't go for half sized for ease of building - that makes no sense. Its not easier to build with a half sized GPU - it makes no difference on it.

Go full size for silence when you spend the next few years using the pc. Plus usually youll get higher boost clocks on the full size cards as they'll run cooler.

enewtabie

Wife took my daughter to a Peppa pig party so it was cable management day. I did the best with what I could on this particular desk. Doesn't leave a lot of room to hide wires. Wish it was a little better but not too bad.

UraMallas

What do you guys think of this? I'm really just looking for a PC that will play Civ VI on max settings and maybe some other games. Is there a place to cut costs? I'd like it to be future proofish for games on medium settings for at least 2 or 3 years. I want it to play BluRays so that wouldn't be where I cut costs.

Uhs7U0V.png

data

What do you guys think of this? I'm really just looking for a PC that will play Civ V on max settings and maybe some other games. Is there a place to cut costs? I'd like it to be future proofish for games on medium settings for at least 2 or 3 years.

Pretty sure you can play Civ 5 at 4k60fps with those specs.

Do you REALLY need the blu-ray player? The cool thing to do these days is to not bother with a disc drive.

data

That's pretty cool. I'll have to get 4K monitor? I don't know much about this stuff. Or, are you saying it's overkill?

Well, Civ 5 is 6 years old now so it's definitely overkill for that certain game. I'm sure that's not going to be the only game you'll ever play though. I wouldn't get a 4k monitor, yet, and the 480 isn't a 4k-capable card with modern games anyways.

Or you could get an RX 470, it's 50$ cheaper in my country for the 8GB version and like 90 for the 4GB version, than the 480 and it performs just a bit worse. (I also recommend the MSI Gaming X variants of the 480 and 470. They're one of the quietest and run quite cool)

UraMallas

Well, Civ 5 is 6 years old now so it's definitely overkill for that certain game. I'm sure that's not going to be the only game you'll ever play though. I wouldn't get a 4k monitor, yet, and the 480 isn't a 4k-capable card with modern games anyways.

Or you could get an RX 470, it's 50$ cheaper in my country for the 8GB version and like 90 for the 4GB version, than the 480 and it performs just a bit worse.

Oh, gosh. I meant Civ VI. You think I went overboard on the GPU, then, for my needs?

LilJoka

I have a pretty stupid question.

Will a newer NVidia card (1060, 1080, etc.) fit into this thing?:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=68476774220514d33b7d31aba7bf1c0ben02

I feel really happy that I landed this computer for $1k CDN on sale. I just want to know if I can upgrade the card in it later on.

Can't seem to load the on mobile, but your restriction will be based on the included power supply and the maximum length GPU that can be fit into the case.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=68476774220514d33b7d31aba7bf1c0ben02

I feel really happy that I landed this computer for $1k CDN on sale. I just want to know if I can upgrade the card in it later on.

Physically fit? Maybe, it looks pretty open if the pictures I saw were of the right thing. Doubt anything much longer than 10" will fit though, case is only a bit over 11" long. Height (or width, depending on how you figure it) is also a limit, lot of GPUs are taller than the bracket and you would need one that has little to no extension beyond it due to how narrow the case is.

Power is likely a problem with any of those GPUs though. It might maybe take a 950? You would need to check the specs on the PSU.

Upgrading prebuilts is messy.

Edit: Included GPU is rated at 100W. I wouldn't put anything in there rated higher.

Pachinko

It doesn't look good there man, that is a very small PC built with a micro ATX tower. A 1070 needs a 500 watt power supply , looks like there's maybe 1 inch of clearance to fit it in there. So I guess maybe it would / could get crammed in there but I can't find a definitive answer on how much power this thing has after checking 3 websites. If you already have it , I imagine you could look up what the PSU is to see if it's 500 watts.

Chris R

If I were looking to buy a 1060 6GB in the 250-280 range what is the best option? The Windforce looks good, just wondering if there was anything that was clearly better overall.

kuYuri

Momentary

Banned
Wife took my daughter to a Peppa pig party so it was cable management day. I did the best with what I could on this particular desk. Doesn't leave a lot of room to hide wires. Wish it was a little better but not too bad.

This looks fantastic. I'm goign to be doing the same thing once I get my game room finished later this month.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait. You can get a 1060 for $250? Shouldn't I get that over the Radeon 480?

They are in the same price and performance ballpark. So that's a complicated question that basically boils down to AMD vs Nvidia and architecture differences and how that factors into games.

In short, 1060 has lower power draw and runs cooler/quieter, and performs a bit better in most existing/DX11 games. 480 is expected to perform a bit better in DX12 and Vulkan, and GCN has proven to age better than Nvidia's architectures (Tahiti and Hawaii chips from 2012 and 2013 still perform well today, the 390X even beats the 1060 regularly, though it is a lot hotter and more power hungry).

Since you mentioned cheap and 1080p before, a 470 is probably a better option than either. $175 from Jet with the Triple15 code as a new customer, and has most of the performance of a 480.

UraMallas

They are in the same price and performance ballpark. So that's a complicated question that basically boils down to AMD vs Nvidia and architecture differences and how that factors into games.

In short, 1060 has lower power draw and runs cooler/quieter, and performs a bit better in most existing/DX11 games. 480 is expected to perform a bit better in DX12 and Vulkan, and GCN has proven to age better than Nvidia's architectures (Tahiti and Hawaii chips from 2012 and 2013 still perform well today, the 390X even beats the 1060 regularly, though it is a lot hotter and more power hungry).

Since you mentioned cheap and 1080p before, a 470 is probably a better option than either. $175 from Jet with the Triple15 code as a new customer, and has most of the performance of a 480.

Yo, this is great info. Thanks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good monitor to go with my set up? Is GSync something I should be aware of? Not really sure what it is.

Gsync (Nvidia) and Freesync (AMD) are adaptive refresh rate implementations. They adapt the refresh rate of the display to be the same as the framerate of the GPU in the range the adaptive refresh rate is active. This eliminates tearing and offers a smoother image in that range. It works in a manner sort of the opposite of vsync, which adjusts your framerate to match your monitor's refresh rate. Gsync and Freesync are obviously much better, since they are less limited and don't introduce any lag like Vsync does.

Gsync is a bit better, but it also increases the cost of a monitor by hundreds of dollars. Freesync adds little to nothing to the cost of a monitor, so if you are buying an AMD GPU and a monitor there's not much reason to avoid a Freesync one.

Sane_Man

So building my first ever gaming PC went relatively well. It took me a long time, mind.

Two problems:

The LED light only works on the hard drive indicator. The reset and power ones aren't working. I'm 99% sure i've put the connectors in the right ports and I've tried it pretty much every way possible. So I'm kinda stumped.

My monitor won't work via HDMI, so I have no sound at the moment (except with a headset). The picture works fine with DVI. With HDMI it says no signal detected when I turn it on. If I switch to HDMI when it's turned on my desktop is displayed with no icons. The taskbar items are there which I can click on but nothing appears. I've tried playing around with the Nvidia settings but nothing's working. Agh.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure it will fix your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try.

1. Turn off/unplug PSU.

2. You want one of these, a jumper:

HJinad2m.jpg

2b. You probably don't have one of those. You might need to use something like a screwdriver to touch the two pins (and nothing else) instead.

3. And you want to put it on the circled pins.

cVl6RkZ.jpg

4. Wait 10 seconds or so, remove it.

And you're done, you can turn on the PSU and try booting.

You can also be glad messing with jumpers is mostly a relic of an earlier time, this is about the only time you ever see or use them these days. And higher end motherboards have buttons for this now.

It seems like Samsung won't be coming out with their Galaxy Tab 3 anytime soon?? I was planning on picking one up, any other suggestions on a tablet for: streaming, web browsing and that's pretty much it? Are Amazon's worth looking into?

edit: Wait it looks like the 2016 model is out??? Whaaaaaaat.

Not sure it will fix your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try.

1. Turn off/unplug PSU.

2. You want one of these, a jumper:

HJinad2m.jpg

2b. You probably don't have one of those. You might need to use something like a screwdriver to touch the two pins (and nothing else) instead.

3. And you want to put it on the circled pins.

cVl6RkZ.jpg

4. Wait 10 seconds or so, remove it.

And you're done, you can turn on the PSU and try booting.

You can also be glad messing with jumpers is mostly a relic of an earlier time, this is about the only time you ever see or use them these days. And higher end motherboards have buttons for this now.

Thanks. had to use a screwdriver, touched both pins with it for about 10 seconds, and it was still stuck in the on/off boot loop. At that point it's either the Mobo or CPU, so I'm opting to send them back(Luckily it's amazon and they have great customer service.) So I put back in my old mobo/cpu, and here I am.

So building my first ever gaming PC went relatively well. It took me a long time, mind.

Two problems:

The LED light only works on the hard drive indicator. The reset and power ones aren't working. I'm 99% sure i've put the connectors in the right ports and I've tried it pretty much every way possible. So I'm kinda stumped.

My monitor won't work via HDMI, so I have no sound at the moment (except with a headset). The picture works fine with DVI. With HDMI it says no signal detected when I turn it on. If I switch to HDMI when it's turned on my desktop is displayed with no icons. The taskbar items are there which I can click on but nothing appears. I've tried playing around with the Nvidia settings but nothing's working. Agh.

That happens because nVidia cards prefer DVI connections over HDMI, do what you did before so you reach the empty desktop and press Windows Key + P a number of times to make sure it goes to Single Display Mode.

Thanks. had to use a screwdriver, touched both pins with it for about 10 seconds, and it was still stuck in the on/off boot loop. At that point it's either the Mobo or CPU, so I'm opting to send them back(Luckily it's amazon and they have great customer service.) So I put back in my old mobo/cpu, and here I am.

I couldn't trace your posts back to your original problem but if you have reboot loops without the PC even booting it's mostly the RAM from my experience. It tries to detect the correct XMP settings and fails over and over. If you haven't already try only a single stick of RAM in different slots :/

I couldn't trace your posts back to your original problem but if you have reboot loops without the PC even booting it's mostly the RAM from my experience. It tries to detect the correct XMP settings and fails over and over. If you haven't already try only a single stick of RAM in different slots :/

Tried that. Tried it without RAM even >_>; before someone told me it needs a ram stick. Tried both different sticks, tried different slots, tried without GPU, tried with GPU, tried while chanting to Satan, tried while begging to Christ, everything hates me.

Amazon doesn't return the CPU @_@ Gonna...gonna shoot them an email. Friend suggested Mobo might need to be upgraded since the CPU is more current, but that doesn't seem like the cause? Atleast..it wouldn't make sense?

Tried that. Tried it without RAM even >_>; before someone told me it needs a ram stick. Tried both different sticks, tried different slots, tried without GPU, tried with GPU, tried while chanting to Satan, tried while begging to Christ, everything hates me.

Amazon doesn't return the CPU @_@ Gonna...gonna shoot them an email. Friend suggested Mobo might need to be upgraded since the CPU is more current, but that doesn't seem like the cause? Atleast..it wouldn't make sense?

Ugh oh dear alright I'm sorry it went this bad for you D: Hmm the only and last thing that comes to mind, try to carefully reseat the CPU and watch for bend pins. That's what happened to me which is why two out of my 4 RAM slots aren't working, the second-channel memory-controller from the CPU doesn't connect :/

Ugh oh dear alright I'm sorry it went this bad for you D: Hmm the only and last thing that comes to mind, try to carefully reseat the CPU and watch for bend pins. That's what happened to me which is why two out of my 4 RAM slots aren't working, the second-channel memory-controller from the CPU doesn't connect :/

I reseated it today since I had put it in its box yesterday.

I might just try a different MOBO? A more current one..? Honestly I should've gone with the Z...one of the Z series ones..I linked it earlier but last second I decided to get the H170~

DonMigs85

I reseated it today since I had put it in its box yesterday.

I might just try a different MOBO? A more current one..? Honestly I should've gone with the Z...one of the Z series ones..I linked it earlier but last second I decided to get the H170~
Umm, all the mobos you're describing are "current" and the correct socket for Skylake.
At this point 200-series mobos for Kaby Lake will be out soon. Same socket as Skylake.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Umm, all the mobos you're describing are "current" and the correct socket for Skylake.
At this point 200-series mobos for Kaby Lake will be out soon. Same socket as Skylake.

Do we have any details on those? Actual ones and not wccftech manufactured rumors? I'm waiting but I don't even know what I'm waiting for.

Holiday deals? $avings.
Kaby? It's a minuscule upgrade, Haswell Refresh: Skylake Edition.
Zen/Summit Ridge? I want to believe, but it's been over a decade since AMD truly delivered on the CPU front.

Doesn't help that Z170 mATX options are kinda lame if you don't want to spend $200 on a motherboard. ITX + m.2 -> PCIe is also an option, but that means dealing with weird adapters and stuff.

Im gonna be giving my current pc (i5 4570k + 16gb + GTX780) to my mom and will be building a new PC in a few months. Im basically waiting on Intel to release their new CPU's.

This time around I want to make things a little fun and go small form factor. I realize after my last build that I will probably never bother with overclocking or SLI so there is no point in going big. Can you guys recommend good ITX cases? Ive been reading alot about the NZXT Manta but that thing is almost as big as my Fractal R4

So what's a good gpu that's under 300 canadian? My 680 just crapped out this weekend and I'm looking for a decent card that will perform similar to the 680.

The 680 was an absolute beast though and I miss it :(

Probably a GTX 1060 if you can find one below $300 canadian.

Edit** VRAM will probably be 3gb though. Maybe someone else can recommend something better from AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom