• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get it. I love mine. Got it last week and it hits all the points for me.

Me too!

Have you changed the colour settings of the screen at all? Do you know what good settings are for gaming? I see a few people mention in reviews and such having tweaked the values to get it looking good but I have no idea where to begin with that stuff.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm rocking a 970, how well do you think I'll be able to run games at 1440?

Most likely will be getting a 1080 within 2 months anyway.

it varies. something like rise of the tomb raider i could get away with highs at 60 fps, something like x com 2 was a mix of med/high

the one thing to be aware of is some earlier batches don't have a hdcp approved display port. i got screwed over there and dell nor newegg did much of anything to help.

Momentary

Banned
LG is pretty much only Freesync in the Ultrawide market. Asus ultrawides have gsync. I have a feeling Dell will release a UW with Gsync down the road. Asus with the PG34Q and Acer with the X34. Aoc makes a monitor but I want to say it's a Freesync model.

I'm hoping that since most of these companies use LG panels anyway, that there will be a 37.5" panel on the horizon soon. ASUS or ACER should have something. Acer's X34P was shown in June, but there hasn't been anymore news about it since then. It's probably going to be a Winter release.

it varies. something like rise of the tomb raider i could get away with highs at 60 fps, something like x com 2 was a mix of med/high

the one thing to be aware of is some earlier batches don't have a hdcp approved display port. i got screwed over there and dell nor newegg did much of anything to help.
That's the only thing really worrying me.

Apparently the newest revision (A04) will be shipping out next week.

enewtabie

Me too!

Have you changed the colour settings of the screen at all? Do you know what good settings are for gaming? I see a few people mention in reviews and such having tweaked the values to get it looking good but I have no idea where to begin with that stuff.

I just built my first PC on Sept 9th and just got my desk and everything setup Friday. Just need to get my cable management sorted out.I'm actually looking at monitor settings on you tube right now. I've been a console gamer for the past decade/plus 20 yrs before I stopped and it's been great interacting with everyone and looking at all the information out there. I'm looking at the youtube video by multitechnospark on settings.

Momentary

Banned
I just built my first PC on Sept 9th and just got my desk and everything setup Friday. Just need to get my cable management sorted out.I'm actually looking at monitor settings on you tube right now. I've been a console gamer for the past decade/plus 20 yrs before I stopped and it's been great interacting with everyone and looking at all the information out there. I'm looking at the youtube video by multitechnospark on settings.

ICC Profiles
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Calibrations
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm

Echoes

Regarding my problem with the Xbox One S controller:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217169752&postcount=9935

I took the controller to my friend's place and updated the firmware using his Xbox One. We then tried connecting the controller to his PC via both Bluetooth and wired, and it worked fine. When opening the Xbox Accessories app on his PC, the app shows that the controller is connected and that it's updated. Now, I took my controller back to my PC and I got it to work via Bluetooth, but the wired connection doesn't work. When I open the Xbox Accessories app on my PC, it doesn't show any connected controller. Pretty weird.

Now that Bluetooth decided to work again, I'm finally able to use the controller with ReCore and Forza Apex. But I find it pretty weird how the PC isn't properly recognizing it (doesn't work wired, and the Accessories app doesn't see it). I have the latest driver for the bluetooth so I wonder what could be causing this.

ReCore looks and plays nice, btw. Loading is pretty short on a SSD.

vakarian32

Finally retired my old 2500K today (selling it to a friend). Got myself a 6700K and Z170 board, I had no idea how much my 980 Ti was being held back in some games, it's made a huge difference. Pretty happy with it so far :) Haven't touched the OC yet, might have a play around with that next week.

Help

Computer turns and and then 10 sec later turns off, and then turns on afain and then off

During this time the screen doesnr turn on

Friend suggested cmos reset so I removed the battery and am going to let it sit 15 seconds

Any other tips or experience with this?

Bloodember

Help

Computer turns and and then 10 sec later turns off, and then turns on afain and then off

Friend suggested cmos reset so I removed the battery and am going to let it sit 15 seconds

Make sure everything is plugged in and seated properly. Make sure your PSU is big enough. What is your specs?

Momentary

Banned
Help

Did you recently overclock the CPU?

Make sure everything is plugged in and seated properly. Make sure your PSU is big enough. What is your specs?

650 power supply
H170 mobo
I5 3.20
Viper ddr4
Gtx 760

I reinserted the ram and made sure the little locks on the right closed by themselves this time

Did you recently overclock the CPU?

I dont overclock :x

Still letting the cmos battery sit out. I was testing it before to make sure it turned on with a psu on a different outlet and forced it off since no monitor was attached(before 10 seconds or so).

Should I be worried about the screen not turning on during the 10 sec window?

What is the processor model? Did you put it in right?

Its intel i5 and yeah I followed the instructions to the tee. Ill try double checking the cpu chip tomorrow since thats my last thing before I return it. Im so sad over this. It just makes me sad, I was so damn excited replacing my 6 year old shit. Atleast that still works though.

Update:cpu was placed correctly. Going to initiate refund of product.

npa189

Just finished my Broadwell-E upgrade, It went flawless and what a difference. fired up BF4 and battlefront just to make sure everything is running smoothly and my in game stuttering is completely gone. BF4 would peg my 3570k with my 1080 in heavy combat. the 6800k barely flinches. got at good OC going a 4ghz and I don't plan on moving past that. I'm also really impressed with the Noctua D15, its a beast but extremely well made. Not needing a CPU cooler backplate for 2011 is a little freaky but a nice feature. Safe to say I'm ready for BF1.

samar11

Ok so I ended up getting the asus rog pg278q swift 27 g-sync monitor which is 1440/144hz, but in the geforce experience panel its show my monitor as 59hz instead of 144 hz. Any help ?

Edit: Doom doesn't even support the 1440 for my monitor.

Sane_Man

So I'm getting all my parts today to build my first ever gaming PC. Excited and nervous!

Could anyone recommend a fairly cheap game to show off the visuals?

Echoes

Ok so I ended up getting the asus rog pg278q swift 27 g-sync monitor which is 1440/144hz, but in the geforce experience panel its show my monitor as 59hz instead of 144 hz. Any help ?

Edit: Doom doesn't even support the 1440 for my monitor.

Try downloading the driver.

So I'm getting all my parts today to build my first ever gaming PC. Excited and nervous!

Could anyone recommend a fairly cheap game to show off the visuals?

Forza Apex (from the Windows Store) is free and looks great. While not cheap, Doom is certainly the most impressive game I've played yet. It looks stunning at ultra settings. I hear the Metro games are visually impressive too. Wolfenstein can be had for cheap and it looks really good. There's a big sale over at the Humble store, you'll see a number of new titles (Rise of the Tomb Raider for $40, etc).

Bloodember

Its intel i5 and yeah I followed the instructions to the tee. Ill try double checking the cpu chip tomorrow since thats my last thing before I return it. Im so sad over this. It just makes me sad, I was so damn excited replacing my 6 year old shit. Atleast that still works though.

Update:cpu was placed correctly. Going to initiate refund of product.
Your cpu is a 6000 series chip? If it's not you have the wrong cpu in that motherboard.

Is there a thread for PC gamer n00bz? I haven't gamed on a PC in about 10 years, so I'm really only familiar with the Radeon 9700 and Windows XP. I have a GeForce 1080 Founder's Edition / Intel 6700K 4.0GHz coming in, and was wondering what I can do in terms of overclocking.

Is there a thread for PC gamer n00bz? I haven't gamed on a PC in about 10 years, so I'm really only familiar with the Radeon 9700 and Windows XP. I have a GeForce 1080 Founder's Edition / Intel 6700K 4.0GHz coming in, and was wondering what I can do in terms of overclocking.

Not sure what you mean, but this thread is intended for pretty much all kind of questions, no matter the experience!

How much you can overclock is very hard to say, as it's a per card basis. But most people with a 1080 are able to gain at least 100+/150+ or something in those lines. You should be able to reach 4.5GHz on your 6700K with decent cooling.

Guys, guys, guys, I think I just experienced nirvana. I'm a long time console player and I built my first PC yesterday and the first game I played was fallout 4, it looked pretty good smooth frame rate no problems. But today I decided to play one of my favorite games of not just last year but of all tike Witcher 3. OH MY GODD coming from the PS4 playing this game Pretty much Maxed out at 1440p with a smooth framerate, I'm just blown away. I only played the intro and I just needed to say this, I don't understand how I played this on PS4. Like I feel like I cheated myself out when it comes to gaming playing on consoles lol. I'm am now converted into the master race.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Upgrading to an i5-6500 from an i3-2100 has made a much bigger difference in gaming than I expected. Even older titles that are CPU-heavy like Crysis and Red Orchestra 2 run magnitudes better and faster than on my older processor.

Schlocky

hey gaf, my ancient p8p67 pro seems to be finally going tits up so I am pricing an upgrade.

This is what I'm looking at:

i5-6600k

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 3000mhz

Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI

I have a 970 in my old rig and don't want to upgrade that. Do people think the CPU will be good enough to last me 5 years like my 2500k did? Don't really plan on playing anything in resolutions higher than 1920x1200 anytime soon, but might want VR down the line.

Also if I have zero inclination to bother with SLI, do I need to get that motherboard or is there something cheaper anyone can recommend?

Cheers!

Bloodember

hey gaf, my ancient p8p67 pro seems to be finally going tits up so I am pricing an upgrade.

This is what I'm looking at:

i5-6600k

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 3000mhz

Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI

I have a 970 in my old rig and don't want to upgrade that. Do people think the CPU will be good enough to last me 5 years like my 2500k did? Don't really plan on playing anything in resolutions higher than 1920x1200 anytime soon, but might want VR down the line.

Also if I have zero inclination to bother with SLI, do I need to get that motherboard or is there something cheaper anyone can recommend?

Cheers!

If your not going to sli, look at mATX or mITX motherboards. You should be good for awhile with that CPU unless something drastic changes.

Echoes

Guys, guys, guys, I think I just experienced nirvana. I'm a long time console player and I built my first PC yesterday and the first game I played was fallout 4, it looked pretty good smooth frame rate no problems. But today I decided to play one of my favorite games of not just last year but of all tike Witcher 3. OH MY GODD coming from the PS4 playing this game Pretty much Maxed out at 1440p with a smooth framerate, I'm just blown away. I only played the intro and I just needed to say this, I don't understand how I played this on PS4. Like I feel like I cheated myself out when it comes to gaming playing on consoles lol. I'm am now converted into the master race.

I went PC gaming last month and it certainly rejuvenated my love and excitement in games. The Witcher 3 looks fantastic when maxed out indeed — I recommend installing a few visual mods to add more juice to it. I took a few shots of the sunset a few days ago:

witcher3_2016_09_17_01_17_01_81.jpg

witcher3_2016_09_17_01_20_45_71.jpg

witcher3_2016_09_17_01_22_40_57.jpg

Vipu

Banned

I think you should tell those poor console people that, who still think how amazing those 30fps pixels look.

Septimius

I'm getting a mobo that supports DDR4 >3000 MHz. I'm seeing comparable prices on 3000MHz and 3200MHz. Are those clocks just plug and play? Is there anything to consider in 3000 vs 3200, or should I just go 3200MHz?

Rizific

pretty much how i felt and my exact thought after i built my first rig in 09. welcome to the other side, where the grass is definitely greener.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My friends mentioning something about "shorting out the pins to reset the cmos".

What is this and would it work?

It resets the motherboard to factory settings. I haven't followed your issues so I don't know if it would help or not. If you don't have a bios/cmos reset button there should be 2-3 pins somewhere on the motherboard. Need to move the jumper if there are three, or put a jumper on if there are two. Then start the PC, turn it off after some seconds, move them back.

Edit: PC just not booting. Could be the jumper in the wrong place to start with. Could also be your one of your front panel pins being reversed. Those are pains in the ass. Brother's PC wouldn't boot because one of those was reversed.

Septimius

I'm getting a mobo that supports DDR4 >3000 MHz. I'm seeing comparable prices on 3000MHz and 3200MHz. Are those clocks just plug and play? Is there anything to consider in 3000 vs 3200, or should I just go 3200MHz?

Also, how does the clock speed work? Everything is 2133MHz by default, and I need to enable the higher clock by selecting OC in BIOS? So is the rating on the chip its maximum, or its rated maximum? Like, can I try to overclock a 3000MHz to 3200MHz?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also, how does the clock speed work? Everything is 2133MHz by default, and I need to enable the higher clock by selecting OC in BIOS? So is the rating on the chip its maximum, or its rated maximum? Like, can I try to overclock a 3000MHz to 3200MHz?

I think with most RAM you can use XMP to automatically set the RAM to its default clocks. Otherwise you basically just "overclock" the RAM by setting it to the specified speed and timings.

By standard DDR4 can only go up to 2133, everything above that is achieved via XMP, look for a XMP option in your BIOS and enable it, it will automatically set your RAM to the advertised clock.

LilJoka

The rating on the RAM is the maximum speed they have been tested to run at by the manufacturer. You are free to run them slower.
The CPUs Intel memory controller will be overclocked from 2133mhz to the RAM speed, so although the ram could do it, your IMC needs to also be able to run at that speed.

I find running 3000Mhz with a CPU OC do-able. More RAM speed combined with a CPU OC can make it more difficult to run stable.
XMP isn't guaranteed due to the reliance on the CPU IMC to co operate, so you should be willing to play with the VCCIO/VCCSA voltages if need be.

After 3000Mhz CL14, there is little to be gained.
You are more likely to run a 3200Mhz CL15 kit at 3000Mhz CL14, than a 3000Mhz CL15 kit at CL14.
Good modules should be a problem in either case.

Planning on building a new gaming PC in the next month or so. Budget is £750-£800 (country is UK, obviously), and it's going to be a wholly new build (since the system it's replacing is a laptop). Here's my plan so far, anything obviously wrong with it?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: *ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£47.72 @ More Computers)
Memory: *Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£61.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.48 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini Video Card (£238.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£50.50 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: *XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.28 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £756.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 20:09 BST+0100

LilJoka

Planning on building a new gaming PC in the next month or so. Budget is £750-£800 (country is UK, obviously), and it's going to be a wholly new build (since the system it's replacing is a laptop). Here's my plan so far, anything obviously wrong with it?

Motherboard: *ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£47.72 @ More Computers)
Memory: *Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£61.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: *Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.48 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini Video Card (£238.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£50.50 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: *XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.28 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £756.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 20:09 BST+0100

Nothing wrong, but maybe not optimum.
The Hitachi drive is from old tech I believe.
Heres an ITX example you might consider, better aesthetics from that thermaltake cube case imo:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£82.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£66.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card (£246.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (£52.73 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£75.61 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £810.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 20:21 BST+0100

Nothing wrong, but maybe not optimum.
The Hitachi drive is from old tech I believe.
Heres an ITX example you might consider, better aesthetics from that thermaltake cube case imo:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£82.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£66.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card (£246.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case (£52.73 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£75.61 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £810.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 20:21 BST+0100

I actually quite like the look of the Thermaltake case, tbh. Not sure what's the difference between the two motherboards (aside from size and the ITX having built-in wi-fi) that's worth paying twice as much for it. Point taken on the hard drive and the RAM. Graphics card: I'll probably stick with my half-sized card for ease of building reasons. Power supply, I'll be happy to pay the extra fiver for a fully modular power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom