• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Apparently the Cryorig M9i, but that's more or less the same performance. The H7 is a bit better but $10 more. Nice as stuff like Noctua's good coolers are, they cost 3x as much and for a lot of builds that $50 is better put into something with a more direct benefit than the CPU cooler.

Sweet. Good to know.

Another reason the 212 is there is that it's damn easy to find anywhere.

You can get splitters for the fan headers, but do not draw more than 1Amp of current through the header. Ideally all fans should be posted by the motherboard so you can control them. Powering via the PSU molex will run them full speed and that can be very loud.

The sticker on the fan should have a current draw rating.

So when the fans arrive I add them up till they reach 1Amp and connect it to the pictured system fan plug, and the remaining fans to the PSU?
Is the only problem with connecting a fan to the PSU is the sound? (I is a noob with such things).

P.S. I am told I will recieve an email in a couple of days for Gears of War 4! Please tell me I can play it with a pad on PC since I am mentally keyboard-handicapped

Afrodium

Banned
I've been toying with the idea of jumping ship to PC from console for a few months now but I'm having some second thoughts at the moment. My goal is to use Steam Big Picture Mode and imitate a console experience as much as possible. I'm attracted to PC for the indie community and lack of generations. Being able to play current game and have a huge library of older gems frequently on sale is very appealing to me.

However, I've been looking into what the functionality of such a machine would look like and it seems like there's some unavoidable quirks that will come with it. Having to make something like Netflix a custom app in BPM that I have to navigate with a mouse and keyboard, or not being garunteed to have controller support for the games I'm playing, or mapping my own controls when booting up a new game without support are huge turnoff. If I want to have a comfy couch PC gaming experience using a kb+m as little as possible, realistically how hassle free will this be? Is this something I should even be considering, or should I stick with a PS4 if these hangups are enough to dissuade me? I'd hate to spend $1000+ on a rig and then find it a chore to use.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
On AMD cards, which direction to you flip the little switch for higher fan speeds to over clock mode?

Can you flip the switch while the PC is running?

The card should have some marking on the PCB that tells you. Position "1" is usually the faster/OC mode. Don't switch it while it's on though, because that changes the bios. I imagine that would either cause the system to crash or the card to screw up. Or both.

I've been toying with the idea of jumping ship to PC from console for a few months now but I'm having some second thoughts at the moment. My goal is to use Steam Big Picture Mode and imitate a console experience as much as possible. I'm attracted to PC for the indie community and lack of generations. Being able to play current game and have a huge library of older gems frequently on sale is very appealing to me.

However, I've been looking into what the functionality of such a machine would look like and it seems like there's some unavoidable quirks that will come with it. Having to make something like Netflix a custom app in BPM that I have to navigate with a mouse and keyboard, or not being garunteed to have controller support for the games I'm playing, or mapping my own controls when booting up a new game without support are huge turnoff. If I want to have a comfy couch PC gaming experience using a kb+m as little as possible, realistically how hassle free will this be? Is this something I should even be considering, or should I stick with a PS4 if these hangups are enough to dissuade me? I'd hate to spend $1000+ on a rig and then find it a chore to use.

Get one of these or something similar:

e0e7_promini_wireless_keyboard.jpg

If the worst thing that happens to you is you have to spend 2 minutes setting up a game, I think you will get over it.

kennah

Don't use it for Netflix. Get a Chromecast.

If you want the "couch experience" get a Steam Controller, but also have a 360 one on hand. But it's never going to be perfect. It's never going to be uninterrupted. Most of the time, it will work, and it will work well. But occasionally, you'll need to get your hands dirty.

That said, I leave my PC on, and pretty much only use it for games (it does do some local server duties around the house, but most of my day to day computing is done on a MacBook), and it usually does just pick up and go when I want to play something. But you'll need to keep a keyboard and mouse on hand for the times when a controller loses pairing, or when you need to access a config menu.

Most of what you want is possible, if you do allow it to have quirks, and don't have unreasonable expectations. If you do keep things simple, it's great. Steam is pretty good about telling you what games do and don't support a controller out of the gate.

Anything from the last 3-5 years, will work with a controller no problem - for the most part. It's when you start going older than that that you run in to the major issues.

Long winded, but, basically - it's worth it. Give it a try, don't expect too much.

The card should have some marking on the PCB that tells you. Position "1" is usually the faster/OC mode. Don't switch it while it's on though, because that changes the bios. I imagine that would either cause the system to crash or the card to screw up. Or both.
Thanks, and here I thought it just changed the fan curve, lol. Good to know.

I don't see any markings. The cooler and shroud cover one side and the backplate covers the other.

They are Powercolor 480 Red Devils. I tried searching for it but everything I found just said that it has the switch... Nothing about which position is the OC position...

I want to make sure the one in the HTPC is in quiet mode, and the one in my wife's PC is in OC mode.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, and here I thought it just changed the fan curve, lol. Good to know.

I don't see any markings. The cooler and shroud cover one side and the backplate covers the other.

They are Powercolor 480 Red Devils. I tried searching for it but everything I found just said that it has the switch... Nothing about which position is the OC position...

I want to make sure the one in the HTPC is in quiet mode, and the one in my wife's PC is in OC mode.

The default position on that card should be the OC bios, you shouldn't need to change it in her PC. If you already messed with it, it looks like the position away from the case bracket is the OC one. Not 100% sure though. Will be easy to tell when you boot, just open GPU Z and see what the clock speeds are.

Afrodium

Banned
Don't use it for Netflix. Get a Chromecast.

I have a Chromecast already, but the issue is my TV only has two HDMI ports. It's kind of a shame because this wouldn't be an issue at all without this limitation. I have an HDMI switcher too but since the cable box is always on and the Chromecast is always on the switch won't automatically tune to it when I start casting. Since my PS4 can handle most of my multimedia needs I just use the Chromecast in rare instances where I need to cast a tab or use HBO Go.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. Basically a PC and my cable box would consume all of my HDMI ports and I would have to physically swap inputs every time I want to watch Netflix. It's a pretty lazy complaint, I know, but it's not something I currently have to deal with.

xkramz

zRJwOc3.jpg

This is my pc.

I wanna make it stand out more. What else do u guys suggest. I'm gonna a get rid of the evo 212 and put a water cooler from corsair or something else. And what color sleeves psu should I get? Idk.

kodecraft

Console experience on PC? Oh the irony !

BPM is the closest you'll get. Using a Steam controller is cool to navigate thw PC but it isn't "console-like" its PC-like.

Jumping from apps opening up their own windows outside of BPM with a desktop wallpaper and icons will definitely always break the immersion.

But you got to give up something if you want PC just like you do with console. No cake and eating it too atm.

zRJwOc3.jpg

This is my pc.

I wanna make it stand out more. What else do u guys suggest. I'm gonna a get rid of the evo 212 and put a water cooler from corsair or something else. And what color sleeves psu should I get? Idk.

Needs more glitter. Maybe a little siren to match the lights.

Reich

Building my first rigg.

From Quebec / Canada.
Budget : 1200$ with taxes.

Newbie here.

Want to play Civ 6 and others RTS.

Dries

Hey guys, so recently Windows got a big update, correct? Some visual changes, a changed Start menu and some weird Windows Gaming overlay thingie? Well, I don't know what happened but it really fucked my PC up.

Games run like crap and it seems as if though my CPU core usages are gimped. MSI afterburner shows me that my core usage values are falling into single digits. And my framerate is affected very much by this. More strange stuff is happening too; FireStrike 3D can't recognize my hardware anymore and Nvidia Geforce Experience will only install the new driver if I cross out the 3D install options. Otherwise the install progress will just hang for hours on an endless loop.

So many strange things and they've all seemed to occur since this new Windows update. Does anyone else recognize these issues?

That cooler sucks. Take some of the $75 you're overspending on a Windows license and get a better one.

I agree the 212 is garbage tier, I don't know why it's recommended, I got sucked into buying one and the contact area that sits on the cpu lid looked like it had been sanded with 100 grit sandpaper, it also let my new i7 6700k hit 85+c degrees, I returned the shit and got a Noctua NH-D15, sure it was more expensive but my god the build quality was insane vs the 212 and I only hit 65c running prime 95 now...

Don't cheap out on quite possibly one of the most important parts.

The Noctua was also waaaaaaay easier to install. The x clamp was so much nicer, the 212's is a sharp edged stamped piece of steel aka you get what you paid for.

Their website even shows which cpu coolers will fit X motherboard etc. And gives warnings if there would be a conflict.

I agree the 212 is garbage tier, I don't know why it's recommended, I got sucked into buying one and the contact area that sits on the cpu lid looked like it had been sanded with 100 grit sandpaper, it also let my new i7 6700k hit 85+c degrees, I returned the shit and got a Noctua NH-D15, sure it was more expensive but my god the build quality was insane vs the 212 and I only hit 65c running prime 95 now...

Don't cheap out on quite possibly one of the most important parts.

The Noctua was also waaaaaaay easier to install. The x clamp was so much nicer, the 212's is a sharp edged stamped piece of steel aka you get what you paid for.

Their website even shows which cpu coolers will fit X motherboard etc. And gives warnings if there would be a conflict.
85C at what frequency and vcore?

I use a D15, which is a great cooler, but a friend had a 212 Evo build. His cooler works very well for his purposes.

LilJoka

Out of curiosity what is the reasoning for the Z170M Plus over the Z170 Mortar for the same price? The Asus board has fewer USB3 ports and the fan headers are horribly placed.

No reason, I'm just being lazy on my mobile so I can't check these things. Go with the MSI if it's better.

Here's the thing, I have both a PC and a couple of consoles and the PC to me doesn't offer the conveniences of a console. I still have a wireless keyboard/trackpad I use when I'm playing on the couch, because even in big picture mode, it's still a PC and I have to go into Windows to change the sound settings if I want the sound to come out of my TV, etc. if you're going the PC route, you have to consider what you will gain and what you will give up and make your decision.

Regarding games and KB/M, If a game is available on consoles, it will most likely have controller support on PC. Games you can only play with KB/M are probably games that aren't even available on consoles, so you wouldn't have the option to play them anyways if you stuck with consoles. So it's not really a loss. The only thing you'll have to consider are MP shooter type games that are available on both consoles and PC, but you kind of have to play with KB/M. There's also the steam controller but I've never used one so I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Like I said before, I have both a PC and consoles and I enjoy them both. I mainly use my console for exclusives and mp/co-op games I play with my friends. You might also want to consider if that's going to be an issue for you

Get one of these or something similar:

e0e7_promini_wireless_keyboard.jpg

If the worst thing that happens to you is you have to spend 2 minutes setting up a game, I think you will get over it.

What is that thing? I use the Logitech K410 but that thing looks more convenient

Jimrpg

Here's my two cents.

Once you're inside the game, it'll be incredibly console like (and better) and that's what counts doesn't it?

Even just before starting the game, BPM can be loaded on startup (pretty sure), and then you just use your xbox360 controller to select your game from a tiled list of icons. Very intuitive. And that's it. You can configure the keys/button mappings in the game, for most games that are already on console. You can if you want leave all graphics settings on default, if you want to.

The only non-console experience you'd get are either

a) games that are PC only, then you may have to fiddle with controller options like keyboard / mouse and may lose some of that comfy couch experience.

b) mods, but that's a PC thing too.

Aranath

I'll be picking up a PS4 Pro day one and I'm looking for the best way to display it. At the moment, I have no TV and two PC monitors. My PC is connected to my Acer XB270HU G-Sync monitor, but that of course only has a single DP in connection so connecting the PS4 to that is out of the question. My other monitor is an older LG IPS234V with an HDMI in, but it's a bit smaller and the panel is nowhere near the quality of my Acer, especially after calibration.

Is there any way of connecting the PS4 and running the audio and video signals through my PC to display on the Acer? Would a capture card work? I see the Aver Live Gamer HD offers HDMI pass through, would that work? Or am I misunderstanding what the feature does?

vector824

Building my first rigg.

From Quebec / Canada.
Budget : 1200$ with taxes.

Newbie here.

Want to play Civ 6 and others RTS.

This will get you there in an ATX format. More expensive, but easier to work with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($255.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($354.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: NZXT RF-FN142-RB 50.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: NZXT RF-FN142-RB 50.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1231.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 08:13 EDT-0400

Here's a smaller mATX build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($255.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($141.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini Video Card ($329.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F9 43.0 CFM 92mm Fan ($4.99 @ NCIX)
Case Fan: NZXT FZ-120mm LED 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($15.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1152.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 08:11 EDT-0400

amardilo

I currently have an 8GB ASUS Strix GTX 1070.

Would adding a 2GB GTX 950 (or maybe even a 2GB GTX 960) as a dedicated Physx card help or hinder the GTX 1070? I know not that many games support Physx but would I see any improvement for games that do support it and no loss in anything for games that don't.

I saw this video online showing that very few games support it and some can make things worse but would a GTX 950 (or GTX 960 if I can get one) make some games look better without affecting stuff like frame rates and screen resolution (I play at 1440p and like to get my framerate to 60fps)?

kennah

Would adding a 2GB GTX 950 (or maybe even a 2GB GTX 960) as a dedicated Physx card help or hinder the GTX 1070? I know not that many games support Physx but would I see any improvement for games that do support it and no loss in anything for games that don't.

Hasn't been worth doing in years.

enewtabie

What's a good resource for AMD chipsets/board information? I'm thinking of building a mini itx case with a AMD chipset/GPU but I'm not up to date of what goes with what like I'm on Intel.

What's a good resource for AMD chipsets/board information? I'm thinking of building a mini itx case with a AMD chipset/GPU but I'm not up to date of what goes with what like I'm on Intel.

There hasn't been anything new in literally years.

Yeah, I discovered that a little late when I got an FX-6350 cheap a few months back. I mean its serviceable for what was my first build, but looking at options to subsequently upgrade from it has soon proven a fruitless endeavour, with the latest options going back to... what, 2013? If its a purely a budget machine it can still work fine, but if its still meant to be a great performer intel is the way to go.

Edit: AMD has 'Zen' in development for a supposedly early 2017 launch though, whatever the results there are.

enewtabie

Yeah, I discovered that a little late when I got an FX-6350 cheap a few months back. I mean its serviceable for what was my first build, but looking at options to subsequently upgrade from it has soon proven a fruitless endeavour, with the latest options going back to... what, 2013? If its a purely a budget machine it can still work fine, but if its still meant to be a great performer intel is the way to go.

Edit: AMD has 'Zen' in development for a supposedly early 2017 launch though, whatever the results there are.

Ok I'll got with something cheaper intel wise than what I'm running now and a AMD gpu for that build.

I saw this video online showing that very few games support it and some can make things worse but would a GTX 950 (or GTX 960 if I can get one) make some games look better without affecting stuff like frame rates and screen resolution (I play at 1440p and like to get my framerate to 60fps)?

Its not worth it. There is no configuration where it benefits to have a lower end card dedicated as a physx card.

amardilo

Hasn't been worth doing in years.

Its not worth it. There is no configuration where it benefits to have a lower end card dedicated as a physx card.

Oh well.

I just saw that games like Gears of War 4 (and games I already own like Batman Arkham Knight and Fallout 4) would have Physx support and was wondering if I spent £100 on a second hand card could I get some better on screen effects without dropping frames.

Ok guys so I'm having some GPU overheating issues after updating to the newest GeForce experience and the newest drivers for my 1070. My build is less than a week old just so you know, I uninstalled my drives using DDU and install the old GeForce experience and the drivers before the newest ones and ran Valley for about 30 mins and played some GTA 5 for about 10 mins. Then I thought the problem was fixed ( I originally though it was a display port problem) so I updated everything back up. And when attempting to run valley again it ran for about 5 minutes then my screen went black and my GPU fans ran at full speed until I forced it to shut down. I'm currently in the process of rolling back again in hopes that that everything is fixed. I wanted to know if anyone ever experienced this before and if this could actually be faulty hardware.

Exile20

Ok guys so I'm having some GPU overheating issues after updating to the newest GeForce experience and the newest drivers for my 1070. My build is less than a week old just so you know, I uninstalled my drives using DDU and install the old GeForce experience and the drivers before the newest ones and ran Valley for about 30 mins and played some GTA 5 for about 10 mins. Then I thought the problem was fixed ( I originally though it was a display port problem) so I updated everything back up. And when attempting to run valley again it ran for about 5 minutes then my screen went black and my GPU fans ran at full speed until I forced it to shut down. I'm currently in the process of rolling back again in hopes that that everything is fixed. I wanted to know if anyone ever experienced this before and if this could actually be faulty hardware.

You claim overheating but never said what your temps are.

You claim overheating but never said what your temps are.
Oh I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole PC gaming thing, I was just saying overheating because that was what came up when I did a quick Google search. Anyway my temps while running Valley are 55-65C depending on how long I run it.

Exile20

Ok, so I went back and installed the old GeForce experience and the drivers from August 30 and everything is stable, is that normal and will I never be able to update?

The new drivers are funky for each person especially GFE. I only have the drivers install and not GFE. Your temps are normal. Stay on the old drivers until newer ones comes out and test them. Keep the install file for the stable drivers to revert back.

Thanks guys, it was definitely the drivers. Some on Reddit was experiencing that same problems and I told him to do the same thing and he says everything is good for him now too.

valouris

Just got my new PC, connected everything, booted up fine, and installed w10 (from USB) on the SSD. There is also an HDD which was also connected, and a DVD drive that was not connected because I am missing a SATA cable (this aaaalways happens!).

So, installation goes great, then I realize I have to install the chipset drivers from the CD ( I always do that, instead of downloading, to make sure I have everything, then I do updates). So I open the case, disconnect the HDD and connect the SSD. I changed some of the cables around to not stretch anything around.

After that, the PC doesn't boot to the installation, as if nothing is on the SSD. The ssd gets recognized fine, but it doesn't boot to anything even though I checked multiple times to boot from that.

So I started to reinstall w10, and it showed that the ssd was not empty... Weird.

Anyway, now I am reinstalling the OS without problems, but I wanted to ask if this is normal or weird behaviour. I don't want to have to do this again when my third SATA cable comes!

Hey guys, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on new GPU this week, but IDK if I should. My current build is:

ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB
AMD FX-6300
8GB RAM
450w PSU

Should I buy a GTX 1060 and would I have enough power to run it? I know the VRAM is definitely an upgrade, but I don't know how much more performance I'd get out of it in games I want to get like BF1, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, and more!

Would it make more sense to try and upgrade the CPU? The problem I see is that the GTX 960's 2GB of VRAM is super outdated at this point and most games are now requiring at least 4GB. Thanks! :DD

Edit: Should note that I am perfectly fine with 30FPS for singleplayer games! I just want to play on decent graphical settings!

Hey guys, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on new GPU this week, but IDK if I should. My current build is:

ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB
AMD FX-6300
8GB RAM
450w PSU

Should I buy a GTX 1060 and would I have enough power to run it? I know the VRAM is definitely an upgrade, but I don't know how much more performance I'd get out of it in games I want to get like BF1, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, and more!

Would it make more sense to try and upgrade the CPU? The problem I see is that the GTX 960's 2GB of VRAM is super outdated at this point and most games are now requiring at least 4GB. Thanks! :DD

the 1060 should use about the same as a 960. a quick look on nvidias site shows they both use 120W and have a recommended 400W psu. here is a benchmark comparison between both cards:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1771?vs=1744

As for the CPU, Battlefield 1 requires an FX-6350 as the minimum CPU and a GTX 660. Forza Horizon 3 requires an i5-3570/750 ti as minimum. GoW4's minimum cpu is the FX-6300 and a 960 should be fine.

you might be fine but If I were you I'd keep the 960 for now and upgrade your CPU first.

Dries

Can (Nvidia) display drivers influence CPU core usages in any way? My usages have been abnormal since updating to the new drivers AND Geforce Experience 3.x

Which leaves me a second question: GeForce Experience, yay or nay? Do you guys reccommend it or not?

Can (Nvidia) display drivers influence CPU core usages in any way? My usages have been abnormal since updating to the new drivers AND Geforce Experience 3.x

Which leaves me a second question: GeForce Experience, yay or nay? Do you guys reccommend it or not?

i don't use Geforce experience. i like to manage all the game settings myself and i don't really record/stream my gameplay much. if you want to spend less time playing about with settings and do like to record/stream then yeah try it out. i've heard that nvidia's shadowplay is really good.

the 1060 should use about the same as a 960. a quick look on nvidias site shows they both use 120W and have a recommended 400W psu. here is a benchmark comparison between both cards:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1771?vs=1744

As for the CPU, Battlefield 1 requires an FX-6350 as the minimum CPU and a GTX 660. Forza Horizon 3 requires an i5-3570/750 ti as minimum. GoW4's minimum cpu is the FX-6300 and a 960 should be fine.

you might be fine but If I were you I'd keep the 960 for now and upgrade your CPU first.

I see. Do you have any CPU recommendations in mind? I'm probably going to have to switch to an Intel build, aren't I? Might hold off on upgrading for now if I have to.

ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB
AMD FX-6300
8GB RAM
450w PSU

Edit: Should note that I am perfectly fine with 30FPS for singleplayer games! I just want to play on decent graphical settings!

A 960 to 1060 is a pretty big jump, you'll be happy with it I think. fx 6300 isn't the greatest cpu, but the upgrade to 1060 will have more of an impact I think than upgrading your cpu. Get the 1060, and if you are happy with how things are running then great. If you feel like the games you play still run poorly after upgrading the gpu, then think about upgrading your cpu+mobo.

1060's use about the same amount of power as the 960 so you should be fine.

A 960 to 1060 is a pretty big jump, you'll be happy with it I think. fx 6300 isn't the greatest cpu, but the upgrade to 1060 will have more of an impact I think than upgrading your cpu. Get the 1060, and if you are happy with how things are running then great. If you feel like the games you play still run poorly after upgrading the gpu, then think about upgrading your cpu+mobo.

1060's use about the same amount of power as the 960 so you should be fine.

I definitely have to upgrade both! Thanks for the suggestion! Still have yet to pick out a specific one. Thinking about the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE GV-N1060D5-6GD or the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom