• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

i don't use Geforce experience. i like to manage all the game settings myself and i don't really record/stream my gameplay much. if you want to spend less time playing about with settings and do like to record/stream then yeah try it out. i've heard that nvidia's shadowplay is really good.

Interesting. So how do you know when a new driver is out?

Bloodember

Do we know when exactly? Asking for a buddy of mine who plans on building his PC in december. The 6700k won't be rendered obsolete by the 7700k, but it's a matter of waiting just a month ...
Q1 sometime. Intel hasn't said what month, but expect end of quarter.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, thought I was already to get started on this case mod I've been working on! But turns out I need some clamps. lol. I can't believe I didn't pick up clamps. I've got all this aluminum tubing to cut and no dang clamps.

Echoes

I opened my case earlier to install the NZXT Grid+ (fan controller) and the NZXT Hue+ (lighting), and they both require to be plugged into a USB 2.0 connector on the motherboard. The two on my board are already used (forgot to what) — what's my best solution here? My NZXT H440 case has a fan hub at the back so it might be using one of them. This is what my board looks like:

z170boardkpu8a.png

Another issue: I'm currently cloning my SSD to my new Samsung PM961 M.2 SSD, as I intend for the M.2 to be my boot drive. Are there any special instructions to utilize its speed?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa does the hue plus plug into the Philips hue lighting system?

Bloodember

I opened my case earlier to install the NZXT Grid+ (fan controller) and the NZXT Hue+ (lighting), and they both require to be plugged into a USB 2.0 connector on the motherboard. The two on my board are already used (forgot to what) — what's my best solution here? My NZXT H440 case has a fan hub at the back so it might be using one of them. This is what my board looks like:

Another issue: I'm currently cloning my SSD to my new Samsung PM961 M.2 SSD, as I intend for the M.2 to be my boot drive. Are there any special instructions to utilize its speed?
If you've used all your internal usb ports you will need one of these. You're M.2 will function at the speed it's rated at, as long as your board can handle that speed.

Whoa does the hue plus plug into the Philips hue lighting system?
No, it's a LED lighting system for your case. Hue+

85C at what frequency and vcore?

I use a D15, which is a great cooler, but a friend had a 212 Evo build. His cooler works very well for his purposes.

Stock, i7 6700k, I mean maybe I got a dud, but I even reseated the pos and made sure the compound was fine but the heatpipes underneath had no joke a 1mm gap between the aluminum and the copper. It was all factory sealed too.

I wasn't putting up with that kind of "quality control" lol the Noctua was well worth it's price for quite a few reasons after that experience lol

Bloodember

Stock, i7 6700k, I mean maybe I got a dud, but I even reseated the pos and made sure the compound was fine but the heatpipes underneath had no joke a 1mm gap between the aluminum and the copper. It was all factory sealed too.

I wasn't putting up with that kind of "quality control" lol the Noctua was well worth it's price for quite a few reasons after that experience lol

Cooler Master isn't know for their quality, or lack thereof.

rac

Banned
Before I go ahead and buy this does anyone have any suggestions? I pretty much followed Haz's build but just double checking.

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400

Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W

Corsair Carbide Series 100R

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H GSM

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, thanks. That makes his choice easier, I guess. :)

Performance-wise it seems like they should be practically identical. Also sounds like Z270 is only going to be for Xpoint or whatever. Does not seem worthwhile to pass on holiday deals for Kaby.

Same with Zen, saw a couple rumors pointing to AMD launching with i7 competitors and pricing them accordingly. Which sounds insane to me, because they are going to bomb horribly at the $300+ price point.

Between the two, that's why I decided to upgrade now. Or at least during the holidays to catch sales.

Before I go ahead and buy this does anyone have any suggestions? I pretty much followed Haz's build but just double checking.

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400

Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W

Corsair Carbide Series 100R

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H GSM

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB

Faster RAM is probably not much more expensive, so if you can spend another 10 or 20$ for faster RAM: go for it.

Maybe a silly question.
Does leaving vsync off have an effect on gpu temp, and life span?

Temp yes, life span maybe but not really.

If you're capable of running a GPU-intensive game at frame rates significantly higher than the vsync'd rate, your GPU will do more work and generate more heat.

Dubz

How hard is it to install more RAM? I have 8GB of DDR3, and now all these new games coming out recommend 16 gigs. Frys will do it for me but the want to charge $40 to do it. I'm wondering if I should pay Frys to install it, or do it myself. I am terrible with my hands for the record.

My motherboard is an Asrock Fatal1ty.

kuYuri

Just got my new PC, connected everything, booted up fine, and installed w10 (from USB) on the SSD. There is also an HDD which was also connected, and a DVD drive that was not connected because I am missing a SATA cable (this aaaalways happens!).

So, installation goes great, then I realize I have to install the chipset drivers from the CD ( I always do that, instead of downloading, to make sure I have everything, then I do updates). So I open the case, disconnect the HDD and connect the SSD. I changed some of the cables around to not stretch anything around.

After that, the PC doesn't boot to the installation, as if nothing is on the SSD. The ssd gets recognized fine, but it doesn't boot to anything even though I checked multiple times to boot from that.

So I started to reinstall w10, and it showed that the ssd was not empty... Weird.

Anyway, now I am reinstalling the OS without problems, but I wanted to ask if this is normal or weird behaviour. I don't want to have to do this again when my third SATA cable comes!

When installing Windows to the SSD, leave all other hard drives disconnected that isn't the main OS drive. If you don't, Windows will install boot manager files to other HDDs that aren't your primary OS drive and anytime you disconnect those other HDDs, it will refuse to boot as its trying to access files on drives that aren't connected anymore! I believe that's how it goes.

I had this problem as well and didn't realize it until I read up on it.

valouris

When installing Windows to the SSD, leave all other hard drives disconnected that isn't the main OS drive. If you don't, Windows will install boot manager files to other HDDs that aren't your primary OS drive and anytime you disconnect those other HDDs, it will refuse to boot as its trying to access files on drives that aren't connected anymore! I believe that's how it goes.

I had this problem as well and didn't realize it until I read up on it.

Hey this is great advice, thanks a lot! This is what I did now, hopefully I won't have any trouble in the future. It seems ridiculously counter-intuitive for Windows to do that though...

How hard is it to install more RAM? I have 8GB of DDR3, and now all these new games coming out recommend 16 gigs. Frys will do it for me but the want to charge $40 to do it. I'm wondering if I should pay Frys to install it, or do it myself. I am terrible with my hands for the record.

My motherboard is an Asrock Fatal1ty.

$40 is a huge ripoff. It's very easy to install RAM. You literally open up the PC case, find the appropriate slot for the RAM, and insert the stick, taking care it's in the proper orientation.

Here's one guide, there are YouTube videos as well that can help:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957195/components/how-to-install-new-memory-in-your-pc.html

derFeef

Loving my 1070 and also Shadowplay. With my 390 I had the OBS VCE fork and everything set up manually, including an external HDD when I wanted to use it. But with Shadowplay I just want to leave it always on. I am kinda concerned about my SSD though ( I should not I guess). But I thought I might just take 3Gb of my 16Gb memory and make a ramdisk and use that - should work I guess, no?

I followed what the guy here did and got a big boost, although still well below the numbers and benchmarks:

Edit: This is the only recent benchmark I could find. I can see that the sequential write for me is much lower, but not sure about the rest.

Another test with Samsung Magician:

Hmm you made me test my SSD and now I wonder why your 4k-64Thrd score is so much higher then mine...

ssdktu0b.png

Edit: Oh wait you have a different drive that's probabely why

Echoes

Hmm you made me test my SSD and now I wonder why your 4k-64Thrd score is so much higher then mine...

ssdktu0b.png

Edit: Oh wait you have a different drive that's probabely why

The PM961 that I have is a newer (OEM) version so it performs better on some of the tests but I believe it doesn't entirely best the 950 PRO. The SM961 is better (and more expensive). Although Samsung just announced the consumer versions so I already regret this purchase, haha. :( Unfortunately I can't return it since shipping the item back to the US would cost me a lot.

What sort of temperatures are everyone's Titan XP's running at under load?

Mine was hitting 87C last night playing Overwatch. Considering jerry rigging a fan underneath it or something as I don't want to fit a block.

The PM961 that I have is a newer (OEM) version so it performs better on some of the tests but I believe it doesn't entirely best the 950 PRO. The SM961 is better (and more expensive). Although Samsung just announced the consumer versions so I already regret this purchase, haha. :( Unfortunately I can't return it since shipping the item back to the US would cost me a lot.

Oh wow, 960 Pro 2TB!

But $1299 :(

I hope we get a second on-board M.2 slot in future mainboards, I love that it needs zero cables to connect it.

The default position on that card should be the OC bios, you shouldn't need to change it in her PC. If you already messed with it, it looks like the position away from the case bracket is the OC one. Not 100% sure though. Will be easy to tell when you boot, just open GPU Z and see what the clock speeds are.
Thank you

Meelapo

Neo Member
Long time reader, first time caller.

I've decided to join the GTX 1070 movement and have purchased a Black Edition EVGA GTX 1070 to replace my Asus GTX 670. When it comes to monitor technology and graphics cards in general I'm not too bright. I have a 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor and I'd just like to play games at my monitors native resolution and at 60 FPS. Is there anything special I should be doing? Should I:

- Enable Vsync in the game or somewhere in the nvidia control panel?
- Just play the game and maximum setting since my video card can make magic?
- Anything else

I've been seeing lots of things about 144Hz. I'm not how much better that is than 60Hz so I don't think it'll make a difference for me, especially since I don't do any competitive gaming.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Echoes

I changed the bandwidth of the slot from Auto to X4:

And the sequential read performance doubled:

Huh. Still not as high as it should be (3,000 MB/s) but that's something at least.

Two things that I'm noticing:

1. I enabled TRIM through cmd, and when I check the status of the TRIM it says that it's enabled, but I can't get the drive's status:

(benchmarking it, which is why the temp is higher.)

As opposed to my Kingston SSD:

Any idea why?

2. I'm seeing this prompt whenever I benchmark the SSD. Danger? Nothing? (Please be nothing.)

Edit: I see this thread, but I don't have any Corsair app installed or running.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Long time reader, first time caller.

I've decided to join the GTX 1070 movement and have purchased a Black Edition EVGA GTX 1070 to replace my Asus GTX 670. When it comes to monitor technology and graphics cards in general I'm not too bright. I have a 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor and I'd just like to play games at my monitors native resolution and at 60 FPS. Is there anything special I should be doing? Should I:

- Enable Vsync in the game or somewhere in the nvidia control panel?
- Just play the game and maximum setting since my video card can make magic?
- Anything else

I've been seeing lots of things about 144Hz. I'm not how much better that is than 60Hz so I don't think it'll make a difference for me, especially since I don't do any competitive gaming.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
You should check out the "nvidia experience" its basically this utility that automatically detects your system settings and adjusts the settings accordingly. I haven't had much luck with it because I'm very fiddly, but I do hear people have good luck with. If you don't want to do that you can pretty much just choose medium or high in each game and turn vsync on and not worry about it.

Interesting build, never had a cube case, really liking, no complaints, will say I shouldve gotten a modular psu and the psu bracket was a bit confusing but overall enjoyed building.

Thermaltake V21
i5 6500
GTX 1060

IMG_20160926_152853.jpg
IMG_20160926_152901.jpg

Do you recommend turning vsync on if it's well above?

Depends. If you have a Gsync monitor, leave it uncapped unless fan noise is too much of an issue. On a 60Hz monitor, turn vsync or fast sync on. Unless you're playing a really twitch shooter and you need every millisecond of input fidelity.

Ok guys so I'm having some GPU overheating issues after updating to the newest GeForce experience and the newest drivers for my 1070. My build is less than a week old just so you know, I uninstalled my drives using DDU and install the old GeForce experience and the drivers before the newest ones and ran Valley for about 30 mins and played some GTA 5 for about 10 mins. Then I thought the problem was fixed ( I originally though it was a display port problem) so I updated everything back up. And when attempting to run valley again it ran for about 5 minutes then my screen went black and my GPU fans ran at full speed until I forced it to shut down. I'm currently in the process of rolling back again in hopes that that everything is fixed. I wanted to know if anyone ever experienced this before and if this could actually be faulty hardware.
Ok guys so the problem started up agian, I do t understand why this just randomly started happening but if anyone can help I would be very grateful. Just a quick recap, my thermals don't go over 65C under load so I guessing that could rule out overheating.

LilJoka

Ok guys so the problem started up agian, I do t understand why this just randomly started happening but if anyone can help I would be very grateful. Just a quick recap, my thermals don't go over 65C under load so I guessing that could rule out overheating.

Any CPU overclock?
Is the ram running an XMP profile?
PSU model?

Vipu

Banned
You should check out the "nvidia experience" its basically this utility that automatically detects your system settings and adjusts the settings accordingly. I haven't had much luck with it because I'm very fiddly, but I do hear people have good luck with. If you don't want to do that you can pretty much just choose medium or high in each game and turn vsync on and not worry about it.

Its gigantic difference compared to 60hz and you dont need to be competitive gamer to see that.
Thats like saying you have to be competitive to see difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Any CPU overclock?
Is the ram running an XMP profile?
PSU model?
No to both, the temps seem to be normal on all ends. I just notice that my PSU (RM750x) has pics cables that have 2 6+2 on one end and I was using 2 plugged into my 1070 ftw cables so that makes 4 pcies I had plugged in I don't know if that makes a difference.

Eyeron

I'm buliding a gaming PC for the first time in 10+ years. Shit is overwhelming! Been very casual console player for a while but feel the urge to pilfer the savings account for a new setup.

Leaning towards an Intel Core I7 6850, 16 GB DDR4 and a GTX1080.

Should I go with a 4K monitor? At 27 inches, would the increase in resolution be worthwhile? Also, I plan on buying a decent headset and no speakers initially and will use the rig primarily for gaming. Is on-board sound good enough or should I buy sound card?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm buliding a gaming PC for the first time in 10+ years. Shit is overwhelming! Been very casual console player for a while but feel the urge to pilfer the savings account for a new setup.

Should I go with a 4K monitor? At 27 inches, would the increase in resolution be worthwhile? Also, I plan on buying a decent headset and no speakers initially and will use the rig primarily for gaming. Is on-board sound good enough or should I buy sound card?
Welcome aboard, now is a great time to jump in. At work I have a 27" 4K monitor (Dell P2715Q) and as long as you are running Windows 10 then I think it's a great choice, as the font scaling in Windows 7 isn't the best. The general consensus is that on-board sound is "good-enough", but I've always used a dedicated sound card with my builds. I currently have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

Eyeron

Welcome aboard, now is a great time to jump in. At work I have a 27" 4K monitor (Dell P2715Q) and as long as you are running Windows 10 then I think it's a great choice, as the font scaling in Windows 7 isn't the best. The general consensus is that on-board sound is "good-enough", but I've always used a dedicated sound card with my builds. I currently have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

Excellent. Thank you. Guess I'll go with a 4K and sound card. This is going to be a painfull wait.

At 27 inches I'd go with a 1440p 144Hz monitor, personally. A 27inch 1440 has pixel density equivalent to a 40inch 4K (~109 vs ~110 pixels per inch) but you also get higher refresh rates and usually a better price. Plus, at high refresh rates, screen tearing stops really being an issue.

Edit: It depends on how close you sit to your monitor as to whether 109PPI is good enough for you.

theRizzle

I used to always go dedicated sound card, and my most recent build (i7-6700k, 32gb RAM, 1070) was the first time I've ever used onboard sound in my own build. It had been my prior experience that onboard sound was always crackly and terrible. After talking to a few guys in this thread, I was convinced to try the Realtek ALC1150 onboard that was on one of the motherboards I had been considering. I have absolutely zero complaints about it. I mostly use headphones.

Might want to see if it'll meet your needs and then upgrade to either a dedicated soundcard or a DAC if it doesn't. Audio quality is the most subjective thing out there and the best thing is usually to start cheap and add on from there until you're happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom