• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

valouris

I guess this is the best thread to ask this, if not please redirect me.

Which is the correct order to install drivers and OS updates after the first installation of Windows? Is there any significant difference? I usually install the chipset and Intel drivers first, then do all Windows updates, and then install all the rest of the latest downloaded drivers, paying no regard to the order. Also, do you think it is actually important to reboot every time a driver installation requires it?

Side discussion: it's news to me that a 1070 can't hold 60fps at 1080p with RoTR and Deus Ex, with no AA. Is this true?? I am getting and I was sure it would destroy anything for now since I am gaming at 1080p. I guess lowering my expectations is not going to hurt.

ehead

Oh yeah, there's that thread too. I forgot all about it. It seems like LG and Samsung has upper their game in the tv field. Now, I have to check their local counterparts here. Seriously, they should just adapt the same product names globally.

I'm using the Samsung 55" JS8000 4KTV (JS8500 model in the US) and a Corsair Lapdog with cables routed behind the couch. Thankfully, Samsung has updated the firmware of the JS8000 to support HDR. It already has a 10-bit panel, HDMI2.0a and Local Dimming feature, although mine is edge-lit, not full-array.

http://i.imgur.com/ppesWKIl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5AoQgGxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ytDapQVl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CFpDxsll.jpg

Wow, that looks sweet. If I may ask, how far away are you from the tv when you use it? Also, I found the same keyboard/mouse here, and I think I'll get that instead of the Razer one just because of mechanical keys.

After years of personal frustrated with AMD Crossfire, I have decided to leave my R9 295x2 for this beast of a single GPU

xZjnZdi.jpg

Motherfucking GTX 1080!

I haven't gone green since the days of my 9800gtx, I gotta say. Holy shit at this card and I am equally impressed by some of the features. I cannot believe how amazing Shadowplay works for recording gameplay, this GPU is perfect for my 1440p gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oF5KVCPhSY

ehead

After years of personal frustrated with AMD Crossfire, I have decided to leave my R9 295x2 for this beast of a GPU

I haven't gone green since the days of my 9800gtx, I gotta say. Holy shit at this card and I am equally impressed by some of the features. I cannot believe how amazing Shadowplay works for recording gameplay, this GPU is perfect for my 1440p gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oF5KVCPhSY

Is that the 1070 Strix? Its pretty massive, right? Also, I agree with you about Shadowplay. My HDD is quickly losing space just because of recording. I also like the screenshot function - high-res images!

Arkanius

Looks great to me, though most people will tell you go 16gb unless you need the extra ram for work, and 3200 MHz ram is overkill. But if you feel like you want that ram and money isn't a huge factor, then it will work very well with Skylake.

Yeah, I decided to go lower speed (3000 Mhz) and just 16GB of it. I can expand later on to 32GBs

Shaved the memory price from 209€ to 85€

Quite a diference

Is that the 1070 Strix? Its pretty massive, right? Also, I agree with you about Shadowplay. My HDD is quickly losing space just because of recording. I also like the screenshot function - high-res images!

Threw an edit in there that I forgot, it is the 1080 Strix, although I'm sure the 1070 is equal the size. This thing is pretty massive haha, I already thought my 295x2 was massive. This is probably the only card I've ever seen actually go above the mounting brackets haha.

Does shadowplay recording or the overlay in general cause any gameplay issues or performance hits? It seems too good to be true lol.

Oh yeah, there's that thread too. I forgot all about it. It seems like LG and Samsung has upper their game in the tv field. Now, I have to check their local counterparts here. Seriously, they should just adapt the same product names globally.

Wow, that looks sweet. If I may ask, how far away are you from the tv when you use it? Also, I found the same keyboard/mouse here, and I think I'll get that instead of the Razer one just because of mechanical keys.

The room this whole setup is in is pretty small in size, I'm around 2 meters away from the screen. I can still appreciate the difference in clarity when content is viewed in different resolution at this distance. I have my Mac Mini connected to this as an HTPC, and at maximum 1080p resolution, the image is generally softer than when I switch to my VR rig connected to this running 4K, when viewed at that distance.

As for the lapboard options, there are three at the moment: Razer Turret, Corsair Lapdog and Roccat Sova. I like how the Lapdog works with keyboards from Corsair's lineup and I can choose which keyboards (although limited to K70, K90 and K95 series) with their respective mechanical type switches (Cherry MX <insert color here>). Roccat Sova has membrane and mechanical version, although they come in fixed and non-interchangeable. The Turret is the same as well, and they come in membrane type keyboard, although the Turret is the lightest of the three. I use the Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless/wired keyboard with the Lapdog, and it's flawless.

ehead

Does shadowplay recording or the overlay in general cause any gameplay issues or performance hits? It seems too good to be true lol.

Not entirely sure, but I guess if you are playing and recording on the same hdd, you'll probably get some stutters when starting to record/saving. I have games and recording installed on my SATA drive so maybe that's why.

Edit:
Thanks for the info. I'll mostly be playing on my bed, my head will be like 1.5-2 meters away from the screen which is why I though 40" would be enough. As for keyboard/mouse, we have the Corsair and Razer available here. But that corsair one looks great and I believe its cheaper so I'll probably go with that.

I am trying to cut costs to my new build: I have a 6 year-old 850w PSU. It's working fine. SHould I replace it? My whole current PC is 6 years old and I worry that my new 1070 will be fried or something. But if the PSU doesn't need changing, I could save on it (plus other things as well). Am I ok or paranoid?

valouris

I am trying to cut costs to my new build: I have a 6 year-old 850w PSU. It's working fine. SHould I replace it? My whole current PC is 6 years old and I worry that my new 1070 will be fried or something. But if the PSU doesn't need changing, I could save on it (plus other things as well). Am I ok or paranoid?

If it's a reliable brand I think you're fine. To my knowledge, PSUs tend to just push less power over time, but 850 watts is already way over the line for most mid-high end systems, especially with the new node shrinks.

Hey guys, I am wondering if Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO would be worth getting? I never really bought or used an aftermarket CPU cooler before. But since I am upgrading to GTX 1080 FTW, I wonder if I should also get an aftermarket CPU cooler as well. Or if anyone has any other recommendations, that would be helpful.

leng jai

Hey guys, I am wondering if Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO would be worth getting? I never really bought or used an aftermarket CPU cooler before. But since I am upgrading to GTX 1080 FTW, I wonder if I should also get an aftermarket CPU cooler as well. Or if anyone has any other recommendations, that would be helpful.

It's in the OP and everyone under the sun uses one so I'm guessing it should be fine. It's quite massive though.

It's in the OP and everyone under the sun uses one so I'm guessing it should be fine. It's quite massive though.

I couldn't find it when I glance over the OP :/ well I do have a full tower. And just to clarify, do you mean the Hyper 212 EVO is fine or the stock CPU cooler is fine?

edit: ahh I see the link now. Its in the 2nd post, not the 1st :p

Par Score

Ok, I've finally accepted I'm too old and too busy to build my own PC.

Beyond that, I've accepted this limits my options and I probably can't build my "perfect" system since all the pre-build places have limited selections of parts.

That said, how does this from YoYoTech look?

NZXT S340 Black Mid Tower Case
600W EVGA 80PLUS Power Supply
MSI GeForce GTX1070 GAMING X Edition 8GB
MSI Z170A-SLI Socket 1151 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 6600K Skylake Quad Core Retail
SilentiumPC Fera 2 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
16GB DDR4 3000Mhz

vector824

Beyond that, I've accepted this limits my options and I probably can't build my "perfect" system since all the pre-build places have limited selections of parts.

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz

You're never too old! Maybe just too busy. I think you'll be more than happy with this setup. It will be smokey fast. How much are they asking?

I have that same case and LOVE IT.

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz

not sure about that CPU cooler but those parts look good. i have a very similar PC. only difference would be the case, an extra 150W on my PSu, the z170a-g43+ (does xfire not sli), the 6700K and a hyper 212x cooler.

Par Score

You're never too old! Maybe just too busy. I think you'll be more than happy with this setup. It will be smokey fast. How much are they asking?

I have that same case and LOVE IT.

£1,000 which is about £300 cheaper than anything similar from anywhere else.

Other places have the exact MB, RAM and CPU Cooler I want, but that's not worth £300 :D

And damn, that's a nice setup.

not sure about that CPU cooler but those parts look good. i have a very similar PC. only difference would be the case, an extra 150W on my PSu, the z170a-g43+ (does xfire not sli), the 6700K and a hyper 212x cooler.

Yep, I'm iffy on the cooler, but the choice is super limited.

The other options are all Liquid, and I'm still not ready for liquid cooling in my life.

kuYuri

Threw an edit in there that I forgot, it is the 1080 Strix, although I'm sure the 1070 is equal the size. This thing is pretty massive haha, I already thought my 295x2 was massive. This is probably the only card I've ever seen actually go above the mounting brackets haha.

That's the same card I have! I forgot how big it is when I switched from my MSI 980 Ti to the Strix card, going from two fan to three fan card, heh. Shadowplay (now know simply as Share) is awesome as I love the simple screenshotting and video recording/streaming, but it's gotten a bit finicky with me lately.

Specifically, in Overwatch when I bring up the overlay, and then go back to the game, it's been breaking my keyboard controls lately for that game. For example, if I hit the Enter key, it switches my game from Fullscreen to Windowed and vice versa. So I can't use the Enter key for the in-game chat. Also, my Escape key stops working for some reason, which is kind of an important key for that game. I'm sure there are other keys that break, but those are the important ones to me for that game. Again, this only happens on Overwatch lately and I'm wondering if it has something to do with this latest version of Shadowplay/Share and the graphics driver. It was working completely fine before this.

But beyond that, it's great and so convenient for me who just wants to casually stream and record and not spend hundreds of dollars on equipment. :p

Other places have the exact MB, RAM and CPU Cooler I want, but that's not worth £300 :D

that's actually not bad. i paid just over £1,000 for my PC and built it myself. as my post above it's quite similar to yours. i did reuse my PSU and SSD though so that would've took it to about £1,370 if i included what i paid for them. and i have an i7 instead of i5.

Yep, I'm iffy on the cooler, but the choice is super limited.

The other options are all Liquid, and I'm still not ready for liquid cooling in my life.

my 212x cost £30. i'm just not familiar with that cooler so maybe it will be fine. if it does come to it and you want to replace it then it won't cost much. same...i don't care how many times people praise their liquid cooling i'm not having it anywhere near my pc!

vector824

Thanks man! Had it 4 months and couldn't be happier. It's almost the exact setup you picked, 6600k, DDR4 3kMHZ, 650W PSU and there's an rx480 in there now that's not in the pic. Stick with the i5, it's more than fast enough for anything you'll throw at it. Go for the NZXT Hue+ kit if you can, it looks AMAZING.

I think that cooler will work well. I have the Hyper Evo 212 and works splendidly.

I couldn't find it when I glance over the OP :/ well I do have a full tower. And just to clarify, do you mean the Hyper 212 EVO is fine or the stock CPU cooler is fine?

edit: ahh I see the link now. Its in the 2nd post, not the 1st :p

It's very highly regarded for the price but there are other options as well if you want to spend more

Will OC'ing my 5820k CPU from 4 GHz to, let's say 4,1 or 4,2 give me any performance boost in games? Will it do anything at all?

Not really. In synthetics you'd see a tiny boost but a couple hundred megahertz for games isn't much.

Going to 4.4-ish would be a 10% improvement though, which you might see in games (depending on how CPU or GPU limited you are).

Par Score

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nudged up to a slightly higher spec MoBo after looking through the details, and threw in an SSD too.

Hammer dropped, can't get here soon enough.

fantomena

Not really. In synthetics you'd see a tiny boost but a couple hundred megahertz for games isn't much.

Going to 4.4-ish would be a 10% improvement though, which you might see in games (depending on how CPU or GPU limited you are).

Ok, got a GTX 1080, so mgiht not need to OC the CPU more then.

-VipeR

Banned
Insecure PC elitists, reading this post. I love how you started celebrating once someone posted the link to this post. I'm sorry to disappoint you though.
This just proves my point, you are insecure, always trying to justify your investment with nonsense. Anyways. On the original thread, I made myself clear that I wanted to get a pc to play pc and xbox games. here its is : (again sorry to disappoint you, you are still an insecure elitst with a crappy car):

You can downgrade your PC to get some money and still play xbox exclusives and that good AAA PC exclusive that comes out every two years(if any), or just sell it and later buy a cheap one . I just sold mine and might put together a cheapo one soon for CIV6 (if it doesnt come to consoles) and xbox games. But first, I'm waiting for the scorpio, to see whats what.

I am a PS4 gamer. Used to be a PC gamer couple month ago, but sold it. Don't feel like building. I want to get a small form factor PC to play PC exclusives (like strategy games) and xbox one games on it .

Please evaluate this pre-built PC for me, for example I am not sure if the power supply is good enough. (also ram speed was a free upgrade from a slower pair)

Case Thermaltake Core V21 mATX Gaming Case
Case Lighting iBUYPOWER RGB Smart Lighting (Software Controlled LED Lighting Kit) - [FREE] Smart Lighting Strip - Top of the case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core&#8482; i7-6700 Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB (VR-Ready)
Motherboard MSI B150M PRO-D
Power Supply 500 Watt - Corsair CX500 V2 - 80 PLUS Bronze
Advance Cabling Options Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 512 GB SanDisk X400 SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive [Free] 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Daily Deal - Free 1TB Data Hard Drive
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows*
Total Price :$1,196

freebies:
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - GAMDIAS Hephaestus II Gaming Headset ($49 Value) - (excludes ASUS Laptops)
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter ($24 value)
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER MEK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard ($79 Value)
Limited Time Offer 1 x iBUYPOWER Chimera Thumb Screws - Black
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER High Performance Gaming Mouse Pad ($19 Value)
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 5-10 business Days)

LilJoka

I am a PS4 gamer. I want to get a small form factor PC to play PC exclusives (like strategy games) and xbox one games on it , also old games that look and play outdated on PS3 (such as dragon age 1,2, Mass effect trilogy and oblivion with mods, new vegas....) . I also do coding.

Please evaluate this pre-built PC for me, for example I am not sure if the power supply is good enough.

Case Thermaltake Core V21 mATX Gaming Case
Case Lighting iBUYPOWER RGB Smart Lighting (Software Controlled LED Lighting Kit) - [FREE] Smart Lighting Strip - Top of the case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB (VR-Ready)
Motherboard MSI B150M PRO-D
Power Supply 500 Watt - Corsair CX500 V2 - 80 PLUS Bronze
Advance Cabling Options Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive 512 GB SanDisk X400 SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive [Free] 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Daily Deal - Free 1TB Data Hard Drive
Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows*
Total Price :$1,196

freebies:
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - GAMDIAS Hephaestus II Gaming Headset ($49 Value) - (excludes ASUS Laptops)
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter ($24 value)
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER MEK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard ($79 Value)
Limited Time Offer 1 x iBUYPOWER Chimera Thumb Screws - Black
Limited Time Offer 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER High Performance Gaming Mouse Pad ($19 Value)
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 5-10 business Days)

Watch some building videos and put it togethor yourself.

The PSU wattage is enough, but the CX series is not reputable, high DOA chances.
They put 2800mhz ram but you can only run 2133mhz ram on B150 motherboards.

Just generally badly specd...

-VipeR

Banned
Watch some building videos and put it togethor yourself.

The PSU wattage is enough, but the CX series is not reputable, high DOA chances.
They put 2800mhz ram but you can only run 2133mhz ram on B150 motherboards.

Just generally badly specd...

Ram was a free upgrade from 2400 . Is it bad to get the faster ones ?

what about the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G - 80 PLUS Gold

What is exactly badly speced ? From what I see this is a better value for me than the $1000 Haz build on the first page and this one is custom pre-built.

LilJoka

Ram was a free upgrade from 2400 . Is it bad to get the faster ones ?

What is exactly badly speced ?

Unbalanced rig.
Rig doesn't need a 6700, get the 6600 as your only pairing with a 1060.
Sandisk SSD, can get the Samsung evo for little more and it's a lot better.
You can't run more than 2133mhz ddr4 on a motherboard that isn't Z170 - so faster ram just runs at slower speeds.
PSU I already mentioned.
IMO case is tacky, a Fractal Define Nano S is a lot nicer.
I don't know the HDD brand, but it's probably seagate who I tend not to buy from due to higher than average failure rates.
I would go air cooling as it's cheaper and quieter at this level.
You don't know the RAM timings.

Rig is over priced
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1183.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-25 19:47 EDT-0400

Alright, I pulled the trigger and I'll get my new 1070 in a week (upgrading a 7 year old system from a 5750. :D).

All my case fans are busted so I ordered replacements for all four of them, but the question is, do they ALL plug to the PSU? I checked my mobo and the system fan plug is not used.
YSDYL.jpg

I know that the system fan plug is used for dynamic control and otherwords plugging fans to the PSU will have them spin constantly and statically (without changing speeds). Is this ok, or should I used the mobo plug? Should I try and plug all four to the single system fan plug or just one or not at all?

Cheers.

LilJoka

Alright, I pulled the trigger and I'll get my new 1070 in a week (upgrading a 7 year old system from a 5750. :D).

All my case fans are busted so I ordered replacements for all four of them, but the question is, do they ALL plug to the PSU? I checked my mobo and the system fan plug is not used.
YSDYL.jpg

I know that the system fan plug is used for dynamic control and otherwords plugging fans to the PSU will have them spin constantly and statically (without changing speeds). Is this ok, or should I used the mobo plug? Should I try and plug all four to the single system fan plug or just one or not at all?

Cheers.

You can get splitters for the fan headers, but do not draw more than 1Amp of current through the header. Ideally all fans should be posted by the motherboard so you can control them. Powering via the PSU molex will run them full speed and that can be very loud.

The sticker on the fan should have a current draw rating.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unbalanced rig.
Rig doesn't need a 6700, get the 6600 as your only pairing with a 1060.
Sandisk SSD, can get the Samsung evo for little more and it's a lot better.
You can't run more than 2133mhz ddr4 on a motherboard that isn't Z170 - so faster ram just runs at slower speeds.
PSU I already mentioned.
IMO case is tacky, a Fractal Define Nano S is a lot nicer.
I don't know the HDD brand, but it's probably seagate who I tend not to buy from due to higher than average failure rates.
I would go air cooling as it's cheaper and quieter at this level.
You don't know the RAM timings.

Rig is over priced

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1183.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-25 19:47 EDT-0400

Out of curiosity what is the reasoning for the Z170M Plus over the Z170 Mortar for the same price? The Asus board has fewer USB3 ports and the fan headers are horribly placed.

Ok, I guess I have one more question before pulling the trigger on this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MDqPJV

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($409.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1573.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-25 20:12 EDT-0400

Do I need any additional case fans? I did see I needed a seperate CPU cooler, so I snagged that, but I am having trouble figuring out if I need more fans or not. I see some "completed" build lists very similar to mine on PCPartPicker, and they seem to range from 0-2 case fans. If I need some, any particular recommendations, or does it not really matter?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.95 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Do I need any additional case fans? I did see I needed a seperate CPU cooler, so I snagged that, but I am having trouble figuring out if I need more fans or not. I see some "completed" build lists very similar to mine on PCPartPicker, and they seem to range from 0-2 case fans. If I need some, any particular recommendations, or does it not really matter?

The case has two exhaust fans. If a couple good 140mm fans for the front are in the budget I'd recommend them.

These are probably similar to the ones that come in the case (except 140mm and not 120mm).
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cBcMnQ/phanteks-case-fan-phf140mpbbkpwm

That cooler sucks. Take some of the $75 you're overspending on a Windows license and get a better one.

The case has two exhaust fans. If a couple good 140mm fans for the front are in the budget I'd recommend them.

These are probably similar to the ones that come in the case (except 140mm and not 120mm).
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cBcMnQ/phanteks-case-fan-phf140mpbbkpwm

Cool, thanks!

He's got issues with the 212. It's fine for most use cases. Argue as many might, there isn't anything else in the same price category that performs as well.

Ah okay.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He's got issues with the 212. It's fine for most use cases. Argue as many might, there isn't anything else in the same price category that performs as well.

Apparently the Cryorig M9i, but that's more or less the same performance. The H7 is a bit better but $10 more. Nice as stuff like Noctua's good coolers are, they cost 3x as much and for a lot of builds that $50 is better put into something with a more direct benefit than the CPU cooler.

On AMD cards, which direction to you flip the little switch for higher fan speeds to over clock mode?

Can you flip the switch while the PC is running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom