• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoul

Anybody have experience with the ($169) Crucial MX300 750GB? I'm using a SanDisk Extreme that's about 4 years old now, and I think it's time to revamp my storage. I'm looking at the Samsung 960 EVO for a boot drive, Crucial MX300 512 / 750GB for secondary, and a big 4-6TB HDD (WD Blue?) for game/media storage.

Current Storage
  • Boot: SanDisk Extreme 256GB (SDSSDX240GG25)
  • Media Storage: Seagate 1TB (ST1000DM03)
  • Game Storage: Seagate 3TB (ST3000DM01)

Eyeron

At 27 inches I'd go with a 1440p 144Hz monitor, personally. A 27inch 1440 has pixel density equivalent to a 40inch 4K (~109 vs ~110 pixels per inch) but you also get higher refresh rates and usually a better price. Plus, at high refresh rates, screen tearing stops really being an issue.

Edit: It depends on how close you sit to your monitor as to whether 109PPI is good enough for you.

Good points. 1440P looks incredible and the refresh rate is important. Gah. It will be an enormous step up either way.

Bloodember

Ok guys so the problem started up agian, I do t understand why this just randomly started happening but if anyone can help I would be very grateful. Just a quick recap, my thermals don't go over 65C under load so I guessing that could rule out overheating.
Whats the specs of the computer? Be specific, name and brand of everything. Also a picture of your system, the motherboard an all that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have experience with the ($169) Crucial MX300 750GB? I'm running an old SanDisk Extreme that's about 4 years old now, and I think it's time to revamp my storage. I'm looking at the Samsung 960 EVO for a boot drive, Crucial MX300 512 / 750GB for secondary, and a big 4-6TB HDD (WD Blue?) for game/media storage.

Current Storage
  • Boot: SanDisk Extreme 256GB (SDSSDX240GG25)
  • Media Storage: Seagate 1TB (ST1000DM03)
  • Game Storage: Seagate 3TB (ST3000DM01)

I had a Crucial SSD before my current Samsung ones. At the time they were one of the top/recommended brands along with Intel and Samsung, no idea if that's still the case. Apart from needing a firmware update to fix a bug, it was a good drive and I never had any issues with it.

Ok guys lesson learned, if you PSU has a pcie cable that has one end with 2 6+2 ports you only need to use one cable to power a GPU with two 8 pin ports (1070 FTW).

Amagon

I got a headache with trying to figuring out memory. Hope someone can help me understand. I picked up a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard and these Crucial 32GB 16GB x 2 DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 Desktop Memory Kit.

If I want to run a 64GB memory setup, do I need to pick up the same second pair of the Crucial memory or do I get a 64GB memory kit all together? I haven't built the computer yet but I would like to future proof my PC with 64GB, since I do have alot of tabs open up via Chrome and also, like to use a VM as well.

Bloodember

I got a headache with trying to figuring out memory. Hope someone can help me understand. I picked up a SRock Z170 Extreme 7+ LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard and these Crucial 32GB 16GB x 2 DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 Desktop Memory Kit.

If I want to run a 64GB memory setup, do I need to pick up the same second pair of the Crucial memory or do I get a 64GB memory kit all together? I haven't built the computer yet but I would like to future proof my PC with 64GB, since I do have alot of tabs open up via Chrome and also, like to use a VM as well.
YOU would normally buy the same ram you already have so you don't have compatibility issues, or you can just get a 64gb kit. But 32gb is more than enough for now.

Amagon

YOU would normally buy the same ram you already have so you don't have compatibility issues, or you can just get a 64gb kit. But 32gb is more than enough for now.

Well if you don't mind me asking, this Mobo is a dual channel, so running 4 sticks that are dual channel will be okay? (I hope that sounds right)

soco

I got a headache with trying to figuring out memory. Hope someone can help me understand. I picked up a SRock Z170 Extreme 7+ LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard and these Crucial 32GB 16GB x 2 DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 Desktop Memory Kit.

You can pick up another one, but supposedly the kits have some timings more closely aligned and so a 64gb kit could give you better performance than any other combination. If you do decide to just expand, make sure to get the timings identical.

Also, if you're not super familiar with the timings and how to estimate performance from the timings, just frequencies that would be overclocked. As the mhz increases, often too do the CAS timings, which can lead to the same performance as normally clocked (thus not worth it).

vector824

Basically buy the same exact thing you already have like he said. But 64 GB is an enormous amount of ram. I'm not running VM or anything, but I only use 8gb on a GOOD day video editing with chrome etc open...

I agree, 32gb is PLENTY. Even when doing 3d rendering.

So my Acer XB270hu sadly got a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. Decided to just take it back to the store I bought it at instead of deal with Acer, especially since I had only gotten it two weeks ago. I got it for a steal at $549, but the store was sold out, and since it's the older model, they said they won't get any more in. The new XB271hu is $250 more than I paid, so it is well out of my price range.

I ended up swapping it out for the Acer XB241hu. It looks nice and all, but man am I going to miss that awesome IPS display.

Well if you don't mind me asking, this Mobo is a dual channel, so running 4 sticks that are dual channel will be okay? (I hope that sounds right)

Should be fine. If you are using only two sticks for now and are waiting for the other two, stick them into slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. This way they will be dual channeled. The slots might also be color coded to make it easier.

Guys. Really quick. Trying to figure out what to do. Just got my two 1070s Strix GPUs. One thing I am noticing while testing them one by one. The second one I tested on average runs 10c cooler in the same system on the same profile and benches about the same scores.

The cooler one hangs about 62c and the other about 72c. I know it is both in ok temps during Firestrike (1080) and Heaven (1440).

Should I RMA the one card? I know I am prob worrying over nothing but seems like a strange gap.

Also case is an H440.

Guys. Really quick. Trying to figure out what to do. Just got my two 1070s Strix GPUs. One thing I am noticing while testing them one by one. The second one I tested on average runs 10c cooler in the same system on the same profile and benches about the same scores.

The cooler one hangs about 62c and the other about 72c. I know it is both in ok temps during Firestrike (1080) and Heaven (1440).

Should I RMA the one card? I know I am prob worrying over nothing but seems like a strange gap.

Also case is an H440.

One card is probably dumping hot air onto the other card, hence the temperature difference. Typical of SLI.

Figure out which is which inside your case and see if it aligns with the above.

Or swap their locations and see if their temperatures switch. :p

One card is probably dumping hot air onto the other card, hence the temperature difference. Typical of SLI.

Figure out which is which inside your case and see if it aligns with the above.

Or swap their locations and see if their temperatures switch. :p

They are not Sli. I bought one for my wifes setup. They were tested on their own each time. Same test on both on same profiles. Very strange.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its gigantic difference compared to 60hz and you dont need to be competitive gamer to see that.
Thats like saying you have to be competitive to see difference between 30 and 60 fps.
What? I was telling the guy with his specs he should be able to get 60in most stuff at high or medium.. or to try the nvidia experience if he wants something to auto optimize his settings for him to hit a certain performance threshold..

I personally use a 144hz monitor but he was saying he wants to not be fussed and just run stuff at 60.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This was quite strange.
I've had this computer for 4years and it's bee rock stable. Today it was about 100degrees and this happened.
3J9SdS4.jpg

Kinda eerie. I'm just about to be performing a complete overhaul and have absolutely never had this PC crash before! Wondering if there's any insight to be gleaned from the screenshot?

*edit: PC never actually crashed. I was able to task manager my way out.

I spent a good part of the afternoon fiddling around and putting my fan speeds at maximum and retesting and I would get similar problems after about 15 minutes. Really quite frightening, it's not the first hot day in California...

I haven't reformatted in about 2 years too but it definitely seems like a heating thing.

Will update later when I try some more now that it's a good 30 degrees cooler.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This was quite strange.
I've had this computer for 4years and it's bee rock stable. Today it was about 100degrees and this happened.

Kinda eerie. I'm just about to be performing a complete overhaul and have absolutely never had this PC crash before! Wondering if there's any insight to be gleaned from the screenshot?

*edit: PC never actually crashed. I was able to task manager my way out.

I spent a good part of the afternoon fiddling around and putting my fan speeds at maximum and retesting and I would get similar problems after about 15 minutes. Really quite frightening, it's not the first hot day in California...

I haven't reformatted in about 2 years too but it definitely seems like a heating thing.

Will update later when I try some more now that it's a good 30 degrees cooler.

Looks like the videocard is either overheating or just dying / going bad. Is it overclocked at all?

Bloodember

They are not Sli. I bought one for my wifes setup. They were tested on their own each time. Same test on both on same profiles. Very strange.

Are the computers the exact same, case and everything? If they aren't that is most likely the reason. If they are the same, it's probably where they are located.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the videocard is either overheating or just dying / going bad. Is it overclocked at all?
Nah, never overclocked. Just a 680 that's been running stock since I plugged it in. I sure hope it's just how hot it was today but I'm kinda perturbed because love had hot days before no problem. And even after taking the side panels off and turning the GPU fan to 100% above 45degrees it still happened...

It's quite curious.. I did gently tip the PC on its side to clean the bottom vent earlier in the day but I didn't put any force on it and I've lugged this thing up and down the stairs a billion times over the years. That's literally the only thing I could think of that might be the cause of the behavior.

Hoping it's just that it was so hot today was the issue. But I am very lucky in that I literally have a 1080 right here just waiting to be installed.

Idk. It feels surreal to be having this issue.

Are the computers the exact same, case and everything? If they aren't that is most likely the reason. If they are the same, it's probably where they are located.

I am literally swapping them in and out of my case benchmarking them etc. Havent put it in my wifes at all.

On a side note i am kinda disappointed in the 1070. I think maybe i am being a little hard to please at the moment. Just fired up a few games at 3440 x 1440 and was met with some pretty tame results. Coming from 1080p and a 970 i was expecting a tad more.

For example. Wow maxed i was lucky to hit 60fps. Even switching to a 1080p monitor same thing. No vsync or foreground limits.

Deus ex MD at 3440x1440 with very high textures and most everything on and no msaa was getting drops to 45fps and 60 most times.

Ran firestrike benchmark a few times between cards and tweaked overclocks that wasn't so bad.

Forza Horizon 3 runs like shit and is all over the place but i think that has some issues at the moment.

I guess was concerns me is that wow should be screaming and it makes me feel i got a dud. Only reason i know i didnt is because i have two to test with. I keep a pretty clean OS and ran DDU to kill drivers.

Oc currentlt at 100+ on core and 400 on memory. Got the non oc strix editions.

Anyways rest of rig is

4670k oc to 4ghz
16gb ddr3 1600
2x ssd and 2x hdd
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming motherboard
Ultra 1000w psu
H100i
H440

Ok guys so the problem started up agian, I do t understand why this just randomly started happening but if anyone can help I would be very grateful. Just a quick recap, my thermals don't go over 65C under load so I guessing that could rule out overheating.
I was having a similar issue on my wife's PC. Turns out, one of her storage SSDs was crashing her PC. It did it even when she wasn't running anything from that drive.

I first thought it was the GPU as well, since it would freeze and crash while playing games. I traded her RX 480 for my 290x which works flawlessly and it continued to crash. I systematically swapped out parts until I removed that SSD. It was crashing almost hourly, now its been three days without incident with that SSD removed.

It was a clearance OCZ Deneva 2.

I'm trying to offload a 3 month 2GB GTX 960 SC ITX card since I picked up a 1070 last month, what's a good selling price? Is asking for $120 reasonable, thinking of putting it up on the gaf buy/sell thread before venturing through CL.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Everything in the process list says CPU is at 0 with 98 processes... maybe my cpu isnt being cooled right? idk.

I'm trying to offload a 3 month 2GB GTX 960 SC ITX card since I picked up a 1070 last month, what's a good selling price? Is asking for $120 reasonable, thinking of putting it up on the gaf buy/sell thread before venturing through CL.

120 is an ok price but if you sell thru gaf you'll also have to think about shipping costs and how to receive payment. I would just throw a listing on cl as well as the buy/sell thread just to see if someone close to you wants it.

I got a headache with trying to figuring out memory. Hope someone can help me understand. I picked up a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard and these Crucial 32GB 16GB x 2 DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 Desktop Memory Kit.

Spare yourself the headache and just stick with 32gb. That is already "future proof". by the time 32gb isn't enough for gaming, your rig will already be obsolete. Use that money towards something else

Jimrpg

Good points. 1440P looks incredible and the refresh rate is important. Gah. It will be an enormous step up either way.

The answer to 1440p v 4k lies in the games you play.

If you tend to play RPGS or strategy games AND happy with 60fps then 4k would be the better choice.

If you play action, shooter or racing games AND want a high FPS (around 100fps) then maybe 1440p would be better.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yikes. 👀

That's happening to me again today after no issues for about 2 weeks. Except the display just goes black and I have to restart the computer. If I'm lucky I don't see a single white bar across the screen and have to take the GPU out before it works again.

I even uninstalled the driver in safe mode, clean installed the newest one and like 3 seconds after it finished it crashed!

I don't even know at what point I'm just gonna say fuck it and build a new computer from scratch. I'm so over trying to fix this shit.

kami_sama

My gpu fans are making strange noises.
When I start my computer, there's no noise, whenever I use the zero rev setting or not.
But after I play a game and it starts to rev down, they (or it, I don't know if it's only one fan or both) starts clicking.
Only when I force the fan to be at zero percent, it stops, and the cicle resets.

I have a msi 1070 gaming x.

Bloodember

That's happening to me again today after no issues for about 2 weeks. Except the display just goes black and I have to restart the computer. If I'm lucky I don't see a single white bar across the screen and have to take the GPU out before it works again.

I even uninstalled the driver in safe mode, clean installed the newest one and like 3 seconds after it finished it crashed!

I don't even know at what point I'm just gonna say fuck it and build a new computer from scratch. I'm so over trying to fix this shit.

Have you changed out your PSU to make sure that isn't the problem? This sounds like a power issue with a finicky PSU.

Vipu

Banned
What? I was telling the guy with his specs he should be able to get 60in most stuff at high or medium.. or to try the nvidia experience if he wants something to auto optimize his settings for him to hit a certain performance threshold..

I personally use a 144hz monitor but he was saying he wants to not be fussed and just run stuff at 60.

Yeah, I was meant to quote his text, not yours sry.

Elven_Star

Guys, is there any way I can trick Crimson to apply VSR on an ultrawide monitor? I'm OK with 16:9 resolution if that's any help. Just tried Dark Souls 3 with VSR on my TV, and it was beautiful. It doesn't support 21:9 properly so, no loss there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

ahhhh! That's a nightmare!

My gpu fans are making strange noises.
When I start my computer, there's no noise, whenever I use the zero rev setting or not.
But after I play a game and it starts to rev down, they (or it, I don't know if it's only one fan or both) starts clicking.
Only when I force the fan to be at zero percent, it stops, and the cicle resets.

I have a msi 1070 gaming x.

i have that card too. it might be fan cable not seated properly so the fan is hitting off it. take the card out and have a look. unscrewing the fan/shroud is really simple so don't worry about doing it if you need to. i remember reading about people having this issue at launch. if it keeps happening then get it replaced.

Hey guys! A little advice needed.

I'm building a PC with similar parts as the "STANDARD" build in the OP, and just wanted to make sure everything looks fine. I would also like to know if a B150 motherboard is noticably worse than an H170 for normal use/older gaming, as the H170 I intended to buy is no longer in stock from the site I planned on ordering from. The B150 would be MSI B150 Mortar if that makes any difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($72.82 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 460 2GB Dual OC Video Card ($114.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.33 @ OutletPC)

kami_sama

i have that card too. it might be fan cable not seated properly so the fan is hitting off it. take the card out and have a look. unscrewing the fan/shroud is really simple so don't worry about doing it if you need to. i remember reading about people having this issue at launch. if it keeps happening then get it replaced.

I'll try that when I get home. Hope it's nothing, I don't want to RMA the card :(

Echoes

Would appreciate any tips regarding my TRIM problem from two pages back:

Two things that I'm noticing:

1. I enabled TRIM through cmd, and when I check the status of the TRIM it says that it's enabled, but I can't get the drive's status:

(benchmarking it, which is why the temp is higher.)

As opposed to my Kingston SSD:

Any idea why?

2. I'm seeing this prompt whenever I benchmark the SSD. Danger? Nothing? (Please be nothing.)

Edit: I see this thread, but I don't have any Corsair app installed or running.

jfoul

Need an opinion between two SSDs. One of these will be used temporarily as a boot drive until the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME is available next month. It'll then primarily be a secondary drive for my actively played games, and media. I know the Samsung SSD is faster, but is it really that much of a difference in real world applications? Also, I'm probably going to take advantage of RAPID caching.

($134) Samsung 850 EVO 512GB or ($151) Crucial MX300 750GB.

My final storage setup will be:
  • Boot: 960 EVO 256/512
  • Secondary: 850 EVO or MX300
  • Storage: 4-6TB HDD

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Have you changed out your PSU to make sure that isn't the problem? This sounds like a power issue with a finicky PSU.

Yeah I just replaced it a couple weeks ago with a Corsair 650

I thought it fixed the issue. It fixed issues I was having with overclocking and I thought also the GPU but apparently not.

I guess it has to be the motherboard at this point.

ahhhh! That's a nightmare!

It's ridiculous. This past week has just had so many things going on and Monday was the worst day with consecutive awful things happening. I should have expected it to happen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna reboot in safe mode and clear the drivers/reinstall them and see if that finds me any luck. It's so weird because the PC never crashes I'm always able to alt tab out of the game and end the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom