• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quoting in case someone has an answer

Also, anyone have a decent recommendation for an external HDD to play games off of?

My new PC only has a 480 GB SSD

Running software in the background has a performance hit. My grandad runs a ton of security and diagnostic software, so much that it all actually reduces the overall speed and responsiveness of his PC. And he refuses to listen to me when I tell him to uninstall all of it.

Get a free antivirus program and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit. No need for more than that actively running. I use Avast and all their junk and info collection disabled. Some of the other free options are good too. I'm not really up to date on them, but they will do just as well as Norton, for free, and you can cut out most of the bloat.

What's a good HDD you can recommend around 1-2tb range. This will be a storage drive for games/etc.

WD Black (expensive, best performance)
Toshiba P300 (all-around good)
WD Blue (worse performance, best power consumption/noise)

Seagate is meh, other WD colors aren't really applicable for your usage. Red could be okay, but probably costs more.

Is it bad to put a 24" LED monitor on top of my closed 17" laptop? I think the monitor is only 8lbs.

I wouldn't recommend it. That could possibly bow the screen over time.

Azerare

WD Black (expensive, best performance)
Toshiba P300 (all-around good)
WD Blue (worse performance, best power consumption/noise)

Seagate is meh, other WD colors aren't really applicable for your usage. Red could be okay, but probably costs more.

Cool I appreciate the input and help! Looking through I decided on the P300 after giving all of them a quick look over.

cwistofu

General question for the experienced people here:

I'm starting to think of building a PC. Is it reasonable to think I'll be able to get a 4K machine for $1300 if I also need to buy a monitor? It'd have to be monitor with low input lag for Street Fighter too.

Is a 1070 more realistic than a 1080 for this goal? Not looking for a detailed analysis, just a general idea of how much I should be budgeting for a machine capable of running Witcher 3 at Ultra settings at 4k.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
General question for the experienced people here:

I'm starting to think of building a PC. Is it reasonable to think I'll be able to get a 4K machine for $1300 if I also need to buy a monitor? It'd have to be monitor with low input lag for Street Fighter too.

Is a 1070 more realistic than a 1080 for this goal? Not looking for a detailed analysis, just a general idea of how much I should be budgeting for a machine capable of running Witcher 3 at Ultra settings at 4k.

No. Even without a monitor. Nothing runs modern games at 4K right now, not even a 1080.

No. Even without a monitor. Nothing runs modern games at 4K right now, not even a 1080.

A Titan X Pascal does, at 64fps. Assuming The Witcher 3 as a modern game, an overclocked GTX1080 can get close. And if you lower your settings beyond the need of AA and Hairworks at 4K, which isnt necessary, and leaving all the rest of the settings at Ultra, 60fps is real.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-titan-x-pascal-review,21.html

I had my GTX1080 overclocked and ran Forza Horizon 3 at 4K, 51fps at everything maximum. Drop the AA and it's over 60fps.And my 1080 is a Founders Edition, the partner cards from MSI, ASUS, Palit, Gigabyte or EVGA should be able to squeeze it even further. The key is to keep the overclock high most of the time, due to the card throttling down when it hits 83C.

I wasn't even aware the Titan X had released, but that would still take up literally his entire budget.

Agreed. At his budget, it isn't possible. For 4K Ultra at 60fps and if he just wanna play The Witcher 3, two 1080s in SLI would do it. But I always advise against SLI since not every game works in SLI.

coughlanio

So pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the following upgrades tonight:

ASRock x99e ITX Motherboard
32GB RAM

This is upgrading from a 4670k, and will be paired with my existing 1080. I've also been floating the idea of getting a cheap used Xeon, 10+ cores, but I'm a little concerned about the CPU clock. Thoughts?

kuYuri

??

They just said they wanted to play 4K, not 60fps. The only exception to this would be a game like SFV which must be played at 60fps for a good experience. But games like Witcher 3 can absolutely be played on a 1070 at 4K/30fps or so.

If they actually meant 4K/60fps, then I would agree with you.

kiguel182

Hi everyone!

So, I've been thinking about buying my first PC. I'm on a thin budget so I've been looking at budget configurations, mainly based on the i3 6100. That configuration on the OP seems great but I do have some questions that I would like some help with if anyone can help me.

So, the card there is an AMD card. If I want to change it down the line to an NVidia card is it okay? Are there compability problems?

Another more general thing, how can I know if my PC case is compatible with the build? From my research it seems it never has the same ports as the motherboard!

Anyway, these are me questions right now. Hopefully I can get the money for this and actually do it!

Edit: the stores I've looked at don't have that moderboard. How do I choose the motherboard and a compatible case? I get that I need one that's compatible with my processor and DDR4 Ram but that's all I know.

soco

Hi everyone!

So, I've been thinking about buying my first PC. I'm on a thin budget so I've been looking at budget configurations, mainly based on the i3 6100. That configuration on the OP seems great but I do have some questions that I would like some help with if anyone can help me.

So, the card there is an AMD card. If I want to change it down the line to an NVidia card is it okay? Are there compability problems?

Another more general thing, how can I know if my PC case is compatible with the build? From my research it seems it never has the same ports as the motherboard!

Anyway, these are me questions right now. Hopefully I can get the money for this and actually do it!

aside from the front panel, the ports are typically on the motherboard. there should be separate connectors for any front panel / power buttons / etc.

checking case compatibility is a bit of a pain as it really depends on what you want to upgrade. Excluding the power supply, the biggest issue is the dimensions. If you have an ATX case, the only issue you might have is board length, but that's likely not an issue on a cheaper build unless you buy a very long used video card. if it's micro or so, then you've got to start measuring or googling.

power supply you can get wattage on the back usually, or by opening the case and looking on the side of the power supply. You can get estimates by using PC Partpicker or something similar. if you're using the integrated video you should be fine, but if you're using an older cheaper card it might be an issue.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
??

They just said they wanted to play 4K, not 60fps. The only exception to this would be a game like SFV which must be played at 60fps for a good experience. But games like Witcher 3 can absolutely be played on a 1070 at 4K/30fps or so.

If they actually meant 4K/60fps, then I would agree with you.

I guess I just assume 60 FPS goes without saying, lol. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a PC only to settle for 30 FPS.

kiguel182

aside from the front panel, the ports are typically on the motherboard. there should be separate connectors for any front panel / power buttons / etc.

checking case compatibility is a bit of a pain as it really depends on what you want to upgrade. Excluding the power supply, the biggest issue is the dimensions. If you have an ATX case, the only issue you might have is board length, but that's likely not an issue on a cheaper build unless you buy a very long used video card. if it's micro or so, then you've got to start measuring or googling.

power supply you can get wattage on the back usually, or by opening the case and looking on the side of the power supply. You can get estimates by using PC Partpicker or something similar. if you're using the integrated video you should be fine, but if you're using an older cheaper card it might be an issue.

Thanks!

It seems like finding the exact configurations posted is hard on the stores that I have access to. PC part picker checks compability? I might use that and ask around here.

If a case as a power supply integrated is it enough? If not then wattage has to just be enough and I'm good?

I'm reallly not an hardware person.

Also, anyone have a decent recommendation for an external HDD to play games off of?

Norton is comically unnecessary. The Playstation Gold headset uses the same usb dongle on pc as it does on PS4.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If a case as a power supply integrated is it enough? If not then wattage has to just be enough and I'm good?

As a general rule, power supplies included with cases are total junk.

And yeah, Pcpartpicker has a compatibility check, but it may miss some really tiny or obscure compatibility problems. For the most part you can trust it on any typical build.

coughlanio

I guess I just assume 60 FPS goes without saying, lol. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a PC only to settle for 30 FPS.

I have a bunch of console-first friends who invested heavily in PC gaming this generation, but they're still happy to prioritize graphics over performance, playing with a controller.

Personally, for couch gaming, 30FPS is fine for me with a controller. Give me a mouse though, and not even 60FPS cuts it anymore.

Can't you add an internal HDD? Playing games off a USB drive seems like a recipe for bottlenecks.

Don't use Norton. Windows Defender apparently does the job quite well now, but if you really want something else that won't kill your performance you should use Avira or Avast. Plus they're free.

So pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the following upgrades tonight:

ASRock x99e ITX Motherboard
32GB RAM

This is upgrading from a 4670k, and will be paired with my existing 1080. I've also been floating the idea of getting a cheap used Xeon, 10+ cores, but I'm a little concerned about the CPU clock. Thoughts?

If gaming performance is important you should probably just go with the 6800k that way if you aren't satisfied with the performance at stock clocks you have the option to overclock. If it's for work and only occasional gaming then maybe think about a Xeon.

coughlanio

If gaming performance is important you should probably just go with the 6800k that way if you aren't satisfied with the performance at stock clocks you have the option to overclock. If it's for work and only occasional gaming then maybe think about a Xeon.

I am a software engineer, so having more cores is definitely better for spinning up VMs and docker images, but I do like my gaming.

I'll probably stick with the 6800K for now, and grab a used W model Xeon when they get cheaper once the new enthusiast/workstation sockets are out. Sound like a good idea?

I'll be hoping to get 4GHz out of the 6800K I think. Most of the affordable Xeons only hit about 2.4Ghz at best, especially when you get up to the higher core counts.

Also, what speed RAM should I get, and should I be thinking about ECC memory, if I plan to upgrade to a Xeon in the future? Will a 6800K even boot with ECC memory?

soco

I am a software engineer, so having more cores is definitely better for spinning up VMs and docker images, but I do like my gaming.

I'll probably stick with the 6800K for now, and grab a used W model Xeon when they get cheaper once the new enthusiast/workstation sockets are out. Sound like a good idea?

I'll be hoping to get 4GHz out of the 6800K I think. Most of the affordable Xeons only hit about 2.4Ghz at best, especially when you get up to the higher core counts.

Also, what speed RAM should I get, and should I be thinking about ECC memory, if I plan to upgrade to a Xeon in the future? Will a 6800K even boot with ECC memory?

So long as you've got the ram, you can still spin up a ton of VMs. Assuming they're linux VMs they'll generally work fine with cpu sharing without any issues. The clock rate will be the more important factor for most of what you're doing, including a lot of typical programs and games.

don't bother with ECC for that (don't think the x99 even supports it). Also just get 2400mhz ram with a low CAS latency. overclocking ram rarely seems to be worth it.

coughlanio

So long as you've got the ram, you can still spin up a ton of VMs. Assuming they're linux VMs they'll generally work fine with cpu sharing without any issues. The clock rate will be the more important factor for most of what you're doing, including a lot of typical programs and games.

don't bother with ECC for that (don't think the x99 even supports it). Also just get 2400mhz ram with a low CAS latency. overclocking ram rarely seems to be worth it.

The motherboard I'm getting supports it for sure:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

I'm just curious, as I plan to get a Xeon down the road, is it possible for me to get ECC RAM now, and use it with a 6800K, even though I know it doesn't support ECC RAM. I mean, will it function as non-ECC RAM when used with a non-ECC CPU.

soco

3x0

Neo Member
This has to be complete BS, right?

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-benchmarks/

I thought a 5% gain was expected.

Most likely BS. I'm not familiar with Geekbench results, but a quick search through their v4 database shows 6700K can score above what was posted for 7700K. I don't know if the program shows OC frequency or just shows the factory clock always, so there's that.
And even if the numbers are true, it's just one benchmark.

The way the article title is written just screams clickbait. If it mentioned Geekbench, not many people would care.

Futaba

I picked up a Vaio PVC-D11N all in one desktop this weekend for cheap (2000 yen) to use as a means to watch youtube, browse etc without having to boot my main pc or use tablet/mobile, but now i've got an itch to make it a sleeper build and throw a decent itz board and gpu in there and hack up the current features to still work and still use the same connections and parts so externally its identical, feature set is retained but with significantly improved spec.

Current spec is:
Intel pentium 4 3ghz
512mb ddr 400
250gb ide
Winxp

Considering upgrading it to an i7 on itx board and something along the lines of a gtx 970 via pcie rizer, just a case of finding a psu as small as or smaller than the current internal psu, building in the current functions and unsoldering one of the gpus dvi ports to install a socket header to connect a dvi to lvds converter to, so it can run the internal lcd as primary.

Might also upgrade the lcd to 1080p if i can find one to spec.

Should be a fun project

kiguel182

As a general rule, power supplies included with cases are total junk.

And yeah, Pcpartpicker has a compatibility check, but it may miss some really tiny or obscure compatibility problems. For the most part you can trust it on any typical build.

Are they junk in what way? Can I have a case with a power supply and buy one extra?

kami_sama

I bought an evga g2. Should I use the ECO mode? The fan was what broke in my last psu, so I want to use it, but I don´t know if it does it impact negatively the efficiency or component life (apart from the fan).

coughlanio

I picked up a Vaio PVC-D11N all in one desktop this weekend for cheap (2000 yen) to use as a means to watch youtube, browse etc without having to boot my main pc or use tablet/mobile, but now i've got an itch to make it a sleeper build and throw a decent itz board and gpu in there and hack up the current features to still work and still use the same connections and parts so externally its identical, feature set is retained but with significantly improved spec.

Current spec is:
Intel pentium 4 3ghz
512mb ddr 400
250gb ide
Winxp

Considering upgrading it to an i7 on itx board and something along the lines of a gtx 970 via pcie rizer, just a case of finding a psu as small as or smaller than the current internal psu, building in the current functions and unsoldering one of the gpus dvi ports to install a socket header to connect a dvi to lvds converter to, so it can run the internal lcd as primary.

Might also upgrade the lcd to 1080p if i can find one to spec.

Should be a fun project

If you're in Tokyo, I got a GTX 970, Haswell i5 and RAM I can let go for cheap!

kiguel182

zSco1EU.png

So, I put this together rather quickly just to show where I am right now in terms of putting together a PC. I go back and forth between graphic cards but this one is the cheapest and it seems okay. I intend to replace the graphics card in the next couple of years anyway.

Are this parts compatible? How can I choose a case right now?

I'm not buying the PC right now but it shouldn't drive away much from this.

coughlanio

So, I put this together rather quickly just to show where I am right now in terms of putting together a PC. I go back and forth between graphic cards but this one is the cheapest and it seems okay. I intend to replace the graphics card in the next couple of years anyway.

Are this parts compatible? How can I choose a case right now?

I'm not buying the PC right now but it shouldn't drive away much from this.

4GB won't cut it, 8GB is the minimum you should go for, and I wouldn't trust that PSU. Unless you have a specific requirement for that form factor, go ATX.

kiguel182

4GB won't cut it, 8GB is the minimum you should go for, and I wouldn't trust that PSU. Unless you have a specific requirement for that form factor, go ATX.

Those are two sticks, I didn't noticed it cropped it lol.

What's the problem with the PSU? That part I know nothing about.

Any ATX would do? I don't understand how the USB ports work in regards with the motherboard, do they need to have the same number?

coughlanio

Those are two sticks, I didn't noticed it cropped it lol.

What's the problem with the PSU? That part I know nothing about.

Any ATX would do? I don't understand how the USB ports work in regards with the motherboard, do they need to have the same number?

I noticed you're in Portugal (I'm a big fan, my partner is from Arruda dos Vinhos!). Can you order from Amazon Spain?

http://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/xWvrM8

That would be a much better configuration IMO. That includes a PC case too.

kiguel182

I noticed you're in Portugal (I'm a big fan, my partner is from Arruda dos Vinhos!). Can you order from Amazon Spain?

http://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/xWvrM8

That would be a much better configuration IMO. That includes a PC case too.

Thank's for the configuration! I didn't know you could choose the store there.

Unfortunately the case isn't sent to Portugal! (neither does the RAM but that's okay, I can buy it someplace else).

I'll try to replace it with something else from their list.

Buying from Amazon will force me to actually build the PC myself, I need to wonder if I'm ready for that step!

coughlanio

Unfortunately the case isn't sent to Portugal! (neither does the RAM but that's okay, I can buy it someplace else).

Buying from Amazon will force me to actually build the PC myself, I need to wonder if I'm ready for that step!

PC Part Picker is generally a good place to start, as it only lets you choose compatible parts.

coughlanio

*rubs chin* this is a tempting proposition, what price did you have in mind?

Let me think about it, It'll be two weeks before I have the parts 'free' as I'm ordering parts this week, but I'll be willing to let them go to a gaijin gaffer (assumption) for a good price, for sure :p

kabylake isn't going to have much of an improvement over skylake. if you have a skylake there is really no reason to upgrade. i have an i7-6700K and absolute earliest I'll upgrading is Icelake or Tigerlake. Going to skip Kaby/Coffee/Cannonlake completely.

While you are right it doesn't make sense to upgrade from skylake, the benchmarks if true seem to point to a nice increase in single threaded performance. Could be due to faster boost speeds, so by overclocking maybe you'll get basically the same performance, we'll see.

enewtabie

Can I get a CPU/Motherboard recommendation (needs wireless) for a Mini itx build. I just need to play 1080p on high or ultra. I'm going with a 470/480 card. It's a side project for the living room. I put a 6700k in my office, but I don't need anything near that. The cheaper the better.

e90Mark

hey guys, looking to take the plunge on a GTX 1080 (I have a 970). My build is a mini-itx, so OC'ing is not something I'm interested in.

What's the best GTX 1080 in terms of noise/cooling? From reviews, they all seem to push about the same as far as performance goes, give or take a small %.

I'm currently looking at the eVGA SC and FTW.

Make sure you check the dimensions vs the FTW for your case. It's a big card, and it wouldn't fit in my matx case.

Best for noise/cooling in a tight space would be a Hybrid model.

Arkanius

Order from Globaldata or PCdiga. Those seem to have the best prices in Portugal.

hey guys, a friend of mine is looking to get a new PC for VR and VR development. He can either buy a machine off a mutual friend and replace the graphics card, or he can build from scratch. the prices are fairly comparable, but I'm not sure about the performance differences.

option 1: buying off a friend for $600 sans graphics card
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($600.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($0.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($689.99 @ B&H)
Case: DIYPC Cuboid-R MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $1289.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 09:46 EDT-0400
e: just realizeed the power supply would likely need to be upped to support a 1080

option 2: building from scratch
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($444.94 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1347.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 09:46 EDT-0400

additionally, if there are any ways to improve on these parts I have picked out, that would be great. thanks so much.

kiguel182

Order from Globaldata or PCdiga. Those seem to have the best prices in Portugal.

Wow, PCDiga has a 950 slightly cheaper than a RX 460. It seems a better choice.

At the end of the month I'll pretty much know my budget (also depending on if I can sell my PS4 and for how much) but I think I'm getting closer to an acceptable configuration for an acceptable price!

Grokbu

I'm considering getting a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor. If I am playing a game on my PC that is fixed to 60FPS, like a fighting game, can the refresh rate of the monitor still run at 120Hz?

Also, if such were possible, what would it be like playing a game at 60fps on a screen running at 144Hz? I'm guessing that if there would be any issues, it would be possible to set it to 120Hz instead?

Any recommendations for a portable USB hard drive? I've officially outgrown my 1TB Toshiba drive. I need something 2 TB or larger. The more physically small it is, the better.

I've heard good things about the Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim, but I'm unsure about buying a drive made by Seagate.

I don't have a strict budget, but I'd like to not spend too much more $100.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Thought I would ask again, what type of card should I get for someone who just browses web and watches youtube on a 4k monitor. No gaming needed. A sub $100 460 OK? Should I go to Buy/Sell for an older card? Don't want to go crazy high end as it would require multiple power supply leads, bigger case...

Integrated GPU depending on the CPU.

That won't work. It's a G3258 so it will need a discrete card. Just trying not to put in a monster gaming card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom