• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIMM is a memory stick.

Ah, thanks. Going to try and take them out.

So, I just got a blue screen of death and now it's not detecting my SSD again. Does this mean it's failing? I just ran a check disk on it and it came back with no errors. Is something else wrong? Can it still possibly be the dimm issue?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sorry, this was my first build, so I'm relatively new. What's a dimm? I have lots of memory and hardly anything on my SSD or HDD so not sure if it could be a memory issues.

I just ran check disk and I kicked back with no errors. Also did a optimization of all drives. Going to check out the smart report now!

A dimm is another name for one of your ram sticks. I imagine you used at least 2 sticks of ram in your build? If your machine is still performing strangely, memory (ram)is one of the first areas to look, first by taking out everything but a single stick and testing, then by running some memory testing software. Once you've ruled out memory you can jump to other areas like Windows issues, power issues, heat issues, motherboard issues.

DocSeuss

Posted this elsewhere, figured I'd try here too:

My desktop started restarting occasionally, randomly. Within a day, it was at a point where it wouldn't even boot all the way. I replaced the power supply, and it was able to boot to Windows every time. Cool.

Problem was, the motherboard was no longer detecting my USB keyboard, but it was still under Warranty, so I replaced the motherboard (ASRock X99 Extreme4 with the latest BIOS). I reinstalled it today. Great! Everything is working perfectly--except for one hiccup: the motherboard sees all four of my RAM sticks in the UEFI system checker, plugged into the four correct slots, but on the front page, it says it's in Dual-channel mode, and it only shows 8GB of the 16GB of RAM (they came in a kit, meant to be used together), in slots A1 and C1.

And while I was trying to figure out what was going on, it started restarting on me again.

...in fact, I just heard it restart in the other room. Wasn't even logged into Windows. Booted it up to the login screen. Five minutes later, boom, restart.

...and there it goes again, a few seconds later.

None of the hard drives are plugged in, for what it's worth, other than the OS SSD. Currently testing one stick at a time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Logitech usually so slow about shipping sutff out? I ordered replacement keys over a week ago and still nothing about it shipping.

the itx z170 mobo selection is really bad :( Asus has two offerings, the $170 z170i Pro Gamer which seems decent but lacks a lot of high-quality pieces, but has an m.2 slot and good features. The Maximus board has all the nice high-quality pieces and great OC'ing reviews, but lacks an m.2 port in exchange for a horribly placed u.2 port (seriously what??) and horribly placed Sata ports.

Gigabytes G1 looks decent but lacks the major OC'ing strengths I'm looking for and I've never trusted Gigabyte for quality.

MSI's offering is plain jane and has huge quality control issues.

ASrocks board is the most unstable of the bunch.

So its either pay lots of money $220 for a board thats high quality but lacks some standard features (m.2, Sata Express, bad sata placements), pay mid-range price for a board built cheaper but with more features (asus pro gamer) or settle for a lesser brand with QC issues).

I'll probably settle for the Pro Gamer and hope it doesnt limit my OC'ing as I just cant justify the $220 price for the Maximus given its lack of key features (I cant even find a u.2 card to buy!)

The Maximus VIII Impact is worth the money. Get an Intel 750 u.2 drive.

the itx z170 mobo selection is really bad :( Asus has two offerings, the $170 z170i Pro Gamer which seems decent but lacks a lot of high-quality pieces, but has an m.2 slot and good features. The Maximus board has all the nice high-quality pieces and great OC'ing reviews, but lacks an m.2 port in exchange for a horribly placed u.2 port (seriously what??) and horribly placed Sata ports.

Gigabytes G1 looks decent but lacks the major OC'ing strengths I'm looking for and I've never trusted Gigabyte for quality.

MSI's offering is plain jane and has huge quality control issues.

ASrocks board is the most unstable of the bunch.

So its either pay lots of money $220 for a board thats high quality but lacks some standard features (m.2, Sata Express, bad sata placements), pay mid-range price for a board built cheaper but with more features (asus pro gamer) or settle for a lesser brand with QC issues).

I'll probably settle for the Pro Gamer and hope it doesnt limit my OC'ing as I just cant justify the $220 price for the Maximus given its lack of key features (I cant even find a u.2 card to buy!)
I'd argue Asus's Pro Gaming and MSI's being the more balanced of the bunch. Asus one has PCI-E M2 (MSI only has SATA mode), but MSI offers wiFi antennae that you don't need to worry about placement.

Gigabyte's USB3 socket placement is simply awful, made the board pretty much incompatible with most air coolers.

membran

Got an i5 3570k @ 4,2Ghz with a 980 Ti. I'm still holding out for a potential 1080 Ti release in January and would take the opportunity to replace the old MoBo/RAM/CPU+Fan/PSU in one fell swoop, should the 1080 Ti actually drop.

I'm just unsure what CPU to get early next year. I'm only interested in Intel CPUs. Reading up on this is a bit confusing and cumbersome, so maybe someone can help me out. The i7 6700k appears to be the best CPU for gaming out there right now (even beating those "enthusiasm"-level x99 cpus), is that right? It's been out for over a year now and apparently there's no direct successor (skylake) in sight. Staying ahead the curve and all that in mind: come January, what would be the CPU to get? Still the i7 6700k? Another one? Is there anything on the horizon (on Intel's roadmap) to look out for? Kaby Lake?

Got an i5 3570k @ 4,2Ghz with a 980 Ti. I'm still holding out for a potential 1080 Ti release in January and would take the opportunity to replace the old MoBo/RAM/CPU+Fan/PSU in one fell swoop, should the 1080 Ti actually drop.

I'm just unsure what CPU to get early next year. I'm only interested in Intel CPUs. Reading up on this is a bit confusing and cumbersome, so maybe someone can help The i7 6700k appears to be the best CPU for gaming out there right now (even beating those "enthusiasm"-level x99 cpus), is that right? It's been out for over a year now and apparently there's no direct successor (skylake) in sight. Staying ahead the curve and all that in mind: come January, what would be the CPU to get? Still the i7 6700k? Another one? Is there anything on the horizon (on Intel's roadmap) to look out for? Kaby Lake?

Kaby Lake desktop CPUs should be released in H2 2017 so there's time yet. In the meantime a 6600K or 6700K will probably still be the gaming kings come early 2017. The actual gaming performance of KL remains to be seen. I don't believe there will be any more high-end Skylake CPUs but I could be wrong.

The Chef

Upgraded from a 27" to the Omen version of that monitor(they are essentially the same). It is a great monitor. No glow issues, no issues with with desktop being on such a huge monitor. I love everything about it.

Awesome, thanks for the impressions!
One of the main reasons I am interested in that monitor is it just looks great.

Wide viewing angle does not mean ultra wide 21:9 in case you were interested in this display thinking it's an ultra wide

Ahh I actually did not know that.
Thanks for the info.

bigkrev

There is someone selling a GTX 780 in BST thread. I'm noticing that my 2gig 770 really isn't cutting it these days (mostly because of VRAM), and I really don't have the money to upgrade my card to a 1070. Would the 780 (and it's 3GB VRAM) make a worthwhile upgrade for under $100?

kennah

There is someone selling a GTX 780 in BST thread. I'm noticing that my 2gig 770 really isn't cutting it these days (mostly because of VRAM), and I really don't have the money to upgrade my card to a 1070. Would the 780 (and it's 3GB VRAM) make a worthwhile upgrade for under $100?

There's a pretty significant jump from the 770 to the 780. Even better if you could sell your 770 locally for the same $85 that that 780 is going for.

You'd probably be a lot better spending the extra 50-100 to get a 460-480. But for under $100 you won't find better than that 780

DSN2K

so I'm currently rocking an i3 4330....what has served me well but its beginning to show being dual core and all. Ive got a counter offer on ebay currently for i5 4570 for £95 right now. Would this be a decent little upgrade. I could sell the i3 4330 as well for £60-70 anyway so I would be spending less then £30.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I don't feel its worth the jump in performance given how bad I feel the 7 series in general has aged. I'm in the same court with a 2gb 770gtx and upgrading to a 1080gtx. I'd say save up for a 1060 or 480 for a real performance jump instead of the mostly sideways jump you are looking at. Yes it will help a bit, but is it really worth $100? I dont think so:

1080p.png

RotT, 43fps vs 51fp. You wont be breaking 60 at 1080p in modern games, so you'd probably fall back to capping at 30, which both cards will give you. Either way you'd be exchanging one out of date card for another, both will fall off a cliff in the next year with the newest games.

kennah

so I'm currently rocking an i3 4330....what has served me well but its beginning to show being dual core and all. Ive got a counter offer on ebay currently for i5 4570 for £95 right now. Would this be a decent little upgrade. I could sell the i3 4330 as well for £60-70 anyway so I would be spending less then £30.

I'd try to find a 4790K in your shoes. the 4.0Ghz base close would be a huge huge huge upgrade from what you have now.

That said, you'd probably see an increase with teh 4570, and probably even 30 quid worth.

FireRises

I've narrowed my choices down to these:

eVGA GTX 1080 SC
eVGA GTX 1080 FTW + $35
eVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid + $50

^ The $ represents the cost to step up from the previous version. I'm using a mini-itx build, OC'ing is not something I'm interested in so I'm leaning towards the SC, but for $35, should I just step up to the FTW? I'm also considering resale down the road, if FTW would be more desirable.

edit: also the hybrid looks nice, but seems like it could be overkill if I'm not OC'ing. Noise is important, I don't want a noisy machine though.

I've narrowed my choices down to these:

eVGA GTX 1080 SC
eVGA GTX 1080 FTW + $35
eVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid + $50

^ The $ represents the cost to step up from the previous version. I'm using a mini-itx build, OC'ing is not something I'm interested in so I'm leaning towards the SC, but for $35, should I just step up to the FTW? I'm also considering resale down the road, if FTW would be more desirable.

edit: also the hybrid looks nice, but seems like it could be overkill if I'm not OC'ing. Noise is important, I don't want a noisy machine though.

I'm getting the Hybird Kit for my Founders 1080, cant stand the noise and heat anymore. I can only tolerate 80% RPM fan noise. When you're running your games and you can hear the whine of the stock cooler, it jolts you out of the immersion in your games. It may be overkill if you're not OCing though, although you have the option to dabble in it later.

50TkhSt.jpg

this one. It replaces the stock air cooler with the AIO liquid cooler with radiator. Mount the radiator as how you would mount a fan, just make sure you have good static pressure inside the case to blow through the radiator fins.

FireRises

I'm getting the Hybird Kit for my Founders 1080, cant stand the noise and heat anymore. I can only tolerate 80% RPM fan noise. When you're running your games and you can hear the whine of the stock cooler, it jolts you out of the immersion in your games. It may be overkill if you're not OCing though, although you have the option to dabble in it later.

oh man, I believe you on the noise... I hate it. I want a near silent machine - I'm using a fractal design nano s, it's awesome, I can barely hear the thing. I was leaning towards the hybrid initially just for noise and temps, glad to see a second opinion on it.

Futaba

Let me think about it, It'll be two weeks before I have the parts 'free' as I'm ordering parts this week, but I'll be willing to let them go to a gaijin gaffer (assumption) for a good price, for sure :p
Alright shoot me a pm when you decide! And yeah, been here several years now! :)

e90Mark

oh man, I believe you on the noise... I hate it. I want a near silent machine - I'm using a fractal design nano s, it's awesome, I can barely hear the thing. I was leaning towards the hybrid initially just for noise and temps, glad to see a second opinion on it.

I don't know off the top of my head, but make sure the FTW fits in the case. It's a larger than reference card card.

For noise though, you definitely can't beat the Hybrid. IIRC, the OTS Hybrid is also a FTW. So again, make sure you can fit the larger card plus lines jutting out the side.

FireRises

I don't know off the top of my head, but make sure the FTW fits in the case. It's a larger than reference card card.

For noise though, you definitely can't beat the Hybrid. IIRC, the OTS Hybrid is also a FTW. So again, make sure you can fit the larger card plus lines jutting out the side.

yeah for sure, ever since going to a mini-itx, I'm obessed with product dimensions :p

I checked the FTW card and it says it's 10.50" long and 5.06" deep, where my MSI 970 GTX is 10.98" long and 4.92" deep, so it should fit... shorter but slightly thicker.

I think I'm going with the hybrid; the only problem is I have to mount it to the top of my case, which means I have to open the top panel and lose out on the sound dampening foam and it has no filter. I can't mount the radiator to the back because of CPU cooler clearance (unless I stick the fan on the outside, but that would be ugly).

or I just get the SC and call it a day...

Filth

I'm still waiting for a monitor to buy. I don't want to get a predator and then something better comes out. I really want 144hz but I also want 4K and wide screen :(

FireRises

I'm still waiting for a monitor to buy. I don't want to get a predator and then something better comes out. I really want 144hz but I also want 4K and wide screen :(

same boat, I want 4K + 144hz but I don't know when that is going to happen... the screen tearing I'm getting now sucks though, ugh.

DocSeuss

Welp, I reset the CMOS and stuff. It detects the RAM, but it STILL restarts at random, even on a different circuit and with a different power cable and everything. Brand new PSU. Hmmm.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got most of my PC parts today, just have the CPU left which I should get tomorrow. Started getting the case ready, installed some fans and routed some cables. Put in the slim optical drive.

Why, Silverstone? Why would you make the little cable slots on the bottom of the SG10 JUST BARELY too small to fit a USB3 connector through? Thinking about sanding down the connector, it's literally like a millimeter too wide. I realize that's some hardcore modding but maybe I can manage.

sfried

Are there any benefits to having two GPUs linked together than just one very powerful one?

I usually keep thinking about this when someone mentions "Crossfire".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any benefits to having two GPUs linked together than just one very powerful one?

I usually keep thinking about this when someone mentions "Crossfire".

No, there are only downsides. SLI/Crossfire is not worth it unless you are doing it with the highest end cards and basically have money to burn. If you can buy a single GPU with the same performance that two would get you, the single GPU is always the better option even if it costs more.

A single GPU is better supported - many games don't even work with multiple GPUs so you end up using just one anyway, and gets much more consistent performance.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, I recently purchased a new gaming PC (an MSI Nightblade MI2 with a GTX 1070 8GB DDR5 and i7 6700k with 32GB of RAM) and decided to try hooking it up to my monitor via displayport, which I've never used before.

Should there be a noticeable difference in quality versus HDMI, or am I just crazy? The picture seemed noticeably brighter and sharper. I read that it makes a difference when using 144hz monitors, but mine is 60hz.

It was so bright that it was actually hurting my eyes- the cable wasn't VESA certified so I'm sending it back and getting one that is, but maybe I should just stick with HDMI.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There shouldn't really be any difference in quality with HDMI and DP unless something is wrong with the cable or the device on one end. Could be calibration? The monitor or your system might save different calibrations for different inputs/devices, so it might just have needed recalibrated.

I've only used DP twice and had poor experience with it the first time. Bad cable caused the picture to flicker in. Was slightly reluctant to use it again for 144hz+Freesync, but I haven't had any problems with it this time.

z3phon

Anyone with a EVGA gtx 1080 ftw?
I got the card not too long ago and randomly had the screen go black and fans ramp up to a 100% while playing overwatch. Upon searching online it seems to be a widespread issue.
http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2530081&p=1

Was wondering if anyone else here experienced the same issue.

Kenzodielocke try Malewarebytes and hitman pro. Their both excellent softwares.

ordered another Dell U2515H monitor last night and it should arrive today. Fingers crossed it doesn't arrive scratched to hell with dead pixels (sold as "new"). Figured maybe I just got unlucky since it seems to be a really popular and well reviewed monitor. Will be replacing my BenQ RL2455HM. I upgraded my PC a while back and just feel like it's being wasted playing at 1080p. Specs: i7-6700K/16GB/GTX 1070. Started downsampling where I could but would love native 1440p.

Welp, a vertical green line just showed up on my monitor today...

Is there any way to fix it? It ain't the cords or my comp because when I switch to my xbox it is still there...

Am I SOL?

I wasn't planning on getting a new monitor anytime soon so haven't been keeping up with them for years. I would like to step up from my current one if at all possible but I had planned to save up and get a nice one in a year or two and didn't want to splurge yet. But at the same time if I have to buy one now then maybe just upgrade one aspect of my monitor instead of all of them at once like I was planning on years from now.

My set up,

ASUS MX279H 27" Full HD 1920x1080 IPS HDMI DVI VGA Frameless Monitor

GTX 1080 FTW
i5 6600K

So, if I where to upgrade just one aspect of that monitor, what would be the biggest improvement for my system ATM? More resolution, hrtz, aspect ratio? I was kinda leaning toward a ultra wide screen myself but like I said, I don't know any of the pro's and cons as I haven't been following monitor tech at all lately.

I mean, I could do more if it was cheap enough. If I can sell my R9 390 (only used for 3 months as a placeholder for my 1080) then I should have a bit more to play around with. Only thing is that I wasn't planning on selling it at all but keeping it as a backup or to use it to help my brother out with building a rig for him to keep costs down...

Anyhow lol, any suggestions on a replacement if I can't fix it?

I'm building a PC next year, what are the chances of the GTX 1080 cards coming down after the release of the 1080 TI and potentially how much will the cost come down by?

I'm building a PC next year, what are the chances of the GTX 1080 cards coming down after the release of the 1080 TI and potentially how much will the cost come down by?

If it's anything like the 980ti and 980 then don't expect it to come down much.

The price range for the TI line normally is in between the TITAN line and the non-letter line, so that it doesn't cannibalize sales. I fully expect the same this time.

If it's anything like the 980ti and 980 then don't expect it to come down much.

The price range for the TI line normally is in between the TITAN line and the non-letter line, so that it doesn't cannibalize sales. I fully expect the same this time.

1080 founder being 799, and Titan X Pascal being 1199 dollars, priming the 1080ti to snuggle up to that price point of 999 dollars. The old titan X price. :p

might not even get a price drop. if it does it won't be much. nvidia don't really need to release a 1080 ti right now. you get either a 1080 or Titan X. when AMD finally bring something to compete with the 1070/1080/Titan then we'll see the 1080 Ti.

right now the 1000 series cards aren't at the price they are supposed to be. they still are charging ridiculous prices. so any price drop will just bring it a little closer to what it should have been months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom