• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4K monitor + Gsync (60hz)

or

1440p + Gsync (144hz)

I have a GTX 1080, both would be 27". I'm torn between the high refresh rate and the high resolution. I currently have a 1440p monitor but the tearing is annoying, so I want gsync but I can't decide between having the higher resolution or the higher refresh rate.

Gsync 144hz. I bought A 27 inch 1440p 144hz gsync dell and cannot go back to 60hz. 4k 60hz on the same size screen doesn't look nearly as smooth and the extra pixels you'd get with 4k aren't really that apparent on 27 inches. I had the same situation and feel that I've chosen wisely.

PinballRJ

My opinion.
1. I'd go with a cheaper SSD. Yeah the 850 EVO is fast but you'll never use it to it's true potential if you're just using it for regular use and gaming.
2. Changed the ram to cheaper ones with higher speeds, they also fit with the color scheme.
3.Don't go with that PSU, I'm not to knowledgeable in PSUs I've been told the G1 are not good units, if you want EVGA go with a G2/GS/P2.
4. Changed the case to a better looking one IMO with a better view of your build. if you want to save some money the Deepcool Dukase is basically a budget S340/P400 for $50

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.73 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $419.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $1275.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 17:32 EDT-0400

thanks! I went with your changes except for the case

Anyone have suggestions for my first mechanical keyboard?
Im mostly going to use it for multiplayer shooters

Gsync 144hz. I bought A 27 inch 1440p 144hz gsync dell and cannot go back to 60hz. 4k 60hz on the same size screen doesn't look nearly as smooth and the extra pixels you'd get with 4k aren't really that apparent on 27 inches. I had the same situation and feel that I've chosen wisely.

TN or ips? How'd you come to the choice? Which one did you get?

I do have a question for the community however. Right now as you can see in the second image I'm running two fans up front for intake and one output on the back. I was thinking of adding a second output fan on the top above/behind the cpu. However I don't have a lot of room up front for another intake fan. My GPU's have always run just a bit hot (although the 6600k stays pretty cool with an OC to 4.2). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do on my current build to bring down temps just a bit?

I don't think you need another intake fan, another exhaust on top near the rear would be good to push out more hot air from the cpu and the heat rising from the gpu.

Also when tuning the fury, down volting is better than adding voltage because adding volts doesn't really increase the overclock range. Find the max overclock on the stock voltage, then find the lowest stable voltage. Or just find the lowest stable voltage at stock speeds.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Zip ties and maybe some nice thermal paste like artic mx4. Other than that you should get everything you need.

I'm going to get some zip ties, thermal paste and a 'sata 3 lock cable' as per a suggestions.

The rest has already been ordered!

Hype!!!

Mozendo

Thanks, can you drop a link so I can find it? Whenever I google it, it shows me the Asus MG279Q instead.
They both share the same design so you're probably looking at the right model, and as I said before they drop around your budget when they go on sale so maybe wait if you can

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9UC20Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...norebbr=1&cm_re=MG248Q-_-24-236-722-_-Product
http://www.microcenter.com/product/463771/MG248Q_24_LED_Gaming_Monitor

FireRises

thanks! I've been leaning towards 1440p / 144hz because that does seem to be the sweet spot. My 1080 can get to 60 at 4K but like you said, at 27" it wont' be as apparent as a the higher refresh rate.

Maybe in another 2 GPU generations 4K will be at that sweet spot of 144hz+.

Benedict

I'm seriously considering this computer. Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube that a Swedish store has a special offer on at the moment.

The price is 9990 sek ($1136) instead of "regular" 12495 sek ($1421)
You also get a free digital game so I can get Civilization 6 Digital Deluxe Edition.

Is it an OK solution?
I've been thinking of getting a new computer for quite some time now, but then picking the parts and letting a store put it together instead.
Might be getting some better parts but at the same time it will be more expensive.

This also has wifi and Bluetooth built in and includes W10. Supposed to be pretty quiet as well.

Specs are as I understand it:
Intel Core i5-6400 CPU
Nvidia GTX 1070, 8 GB
8 GB DDR4 RAM (Samsung), 256 GB SSD (LiteOn)
Motherboard seems to be a Lenovo 364A
PSU seems to be 430W (NoName)

valouris

I'm seriously considering this computer. Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube that a Swedish store has a special offer on at the moment.

The price is 9990 sek ($1136) instead of "regular" 12495 sek ($1421)
You also get a free digital game so I can get Civilization 6 Digital Deluxe Edition.

Is it an OK solution?
I've been thinking of getting a new computer for quite some time now, but then picking the parts and letting a store put it together instead.
Might be getting some better parts but at the same time it will be more expensive.

This also has wifi and Bluetooth built in and includes W10. Supposed to be pretty quiet as well.

Specs are as I understand it:
Intel Core i5-6400 CPU
Nvidia GTX 1070, 8 GB
8 GB DDR4 RAM (Samsung), 256 GB SSD (LiteOn)
Motherboard seems to be a Lenovo 364A
PSU seems to be 430W (NoName)

Waaaaay too expensive for its CPU, RAM and PSU, even at the discounted price imho. You may be getting W10 and a free game, but for that money there is no reason to not go for a better CPU than the 6400. Don't go for it, at all, you can surely do better.

valouris

In Sweden?

Well I'm not from Sweden, but generally ready made builds like that one are much more expensive than when you can get one custom-built. I am guessing 9999 Sek is a lot of money, and I am simply saying that if you are spending that much money, it is a shame to go for a 6400 instead of a say 6600k, usually for only a small price increase.

But you also need to tell us what you plan on doing with the PC, what kind of games, what resolutions, etc.

Edit: after a very sloppy search in swedish stores this may seem like a bargain price, but only because this system has a 1070. The rest of the parts, particularly a no name PSU is a bad idea imho when you get a new system. Plus, that motherboard comes with the 6400 on-board (I think) so you wouldn't be able to upgrade it in the future if you wanted. I really wouldn't go for this if I were you. You will probably be able to build a system with 16gb RAM, 6600k a decent PSU and a 1060 for the same amount of money, and you can upgrade the GPU in 2-3 years or whenever you feel it becomes inadequate for you.

Vipu

Banned
thanks! I've been leaning towards 1440p / 144hz because that does seem to be the sweet spot. My 1080 can get to 60 at 4K but like you said, at 27" it wont' be as apparent as a the higher refresh rate.

Maybe in another 2 GPU generations 4K will be at that sweet spot of 144hz+.

Im sure next year we will have first 4k 144hz screens on market.

I don't think you need another intake fan, another exhaust on top near the rear would be good to push out more hot air from the cpu and the heat rising from the gpu.

Also when tuning the fury, down volting is better than adding voltage because adding volts doesn't really increase the overclock range. Find the max overclock on the stock voltage, then find the lowest stable voltage. Or just find the lowest stable voltage at stock speeds.

Ok I'll look at getting another exhaust fan then. I didn't know that about the fury cards. I'll have to do some testing and tweak the voltage. Thanks for the help.

Benedict

Well I'm

Edit: after a very sloppy search in swedish stores this may seem like a bargain price, but only because this system has a 1070. The rest of the parts, particularly a no name PSU is a bad idea imho when you get a new system. Plus, that motherboard comes with the 6400 on-board (I think) so you wouldn't be able to upgrade it in the future if you wanted. I really wouldn't go for this if I were you. You will probably be able to build a system with 16gb RAM, 6600k a decent PSU and a 1060 for the same amount of money, and you can upgrade the GPU in 2-3 years or whenever you feel it becomes inadequate for you.

Thanks, I'll keep my options open, follow my original plan and maybe pass on this then.
I'm replacing a PC from 2009, and will probably keep my 1080p monitor another year or two.

Anything with Cherry MX Red switches. I actually use Browns for that slight tactile feel. If you can go to a store to check out some mechanical keyboards, that would be best. You can even order test switches online to try out different types.

Then you want to think of getting a full size or one without the keypad on the side. I use a full size, the Rosewill RK-9000v2. Normally around $80-90, o got it on sale for $65 a couple of months ago. It doesn't have LEDs or any of the fancy stuff but it's what I wanted. I'd recommend checking out a Ducky One if you can go higher in price ($100-120).

vector824

Can anyone help me with coming up with a build that's around $800? Maybe a little higher.

A little higher. You'll be gaming comfortably at 1080p on most setting at Ultra.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 8GB NITRO+ Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Directron)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech B100 Wired Optical Mouse ($6.80 @ NCIX US)
Total: $819.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 18:21 EDT-0400

Hellgardia

So I jumped on that Sapphire Tri-X Fury last weekend at $250. Figured it would be a good stopgap card for another 6 months to a year at that price. I upgraded from a 390 so I figured I would get a 15 - 20% boost which I was fine with.

The card isn't too much bigger than the xfx 390 which surprised me a bit. Everything I read mentioned how damn big the card is:

Here it is installed:

I have a little wire clean up to do on the bottom. Those fan wires are so short that its hard to do anything effective with them.

I do have a question for the community however. Right now as you can see in the second image I'm running two fans up front for intake and one output on the back. I was thinking of adding a second output fan on the top above/behind the cpu. However I don't have a lot of room up front for another intake fan. My GPU's have always run just a bit hot (although the 6600k stays pretty cool with an OC to 4.2). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do on my current build to bring down temps just a bit?

It is a great Gpu for that price! Are you going to try to unlock it into a Fury X? Some models where unlockable

TN or ips? How'd you come to the choice? Which one did you get?

I got the TN panel and it looks fine. Look for the third revision model though. It'll say A03 on the box. I've read of those with the A01 and A02 revisions having quality control issues. I was going to go IPS but all of my options that included all of the specs I wanted had quality control issues far more often than the Dell I ended up with. I haven't noticed any issues regarding picture quality though I am coming off of having a 42 inch 1080p samsung as my monitor for about 5 years.

DBT85

thanks! I went with your changes except for the case

I have Mionix Zibal which has MX Black switches. Apparently this is not cool. But I love it and it cost me £50.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best budget 1080p card? my friend currently has a 7780 and is pretty broke but wants something that'll be better and cheap as possible, he gets really bad FPS in most games. He has a 3570k which is fine. I feel like the 1060 is the best 1080p card ATM but it's too expensive for him. I was thinking a Radeon RX 460 4GB or maybe a Nvidia 960?

Celcius

°Temp. member
So what's the consensus on gsync? Gsync on, vsync off?
i'm curious about this a lot. i've got my new build coming now, but i'll be wanting to upgrade my monitor early next year.

gsync on, vsync on (both in control panel, vsync off in game)
Gsync will take over when your monitor is running below the max refresh rate and then when you hit the max vsync will take over.

Can someone explain something to me?

I built a PC in February. Got a GTX 970, i5-4590, and 8 GB of RAM.

Thing is, whatever I play on normal settings runs like shit. I just got Overwatch yesterday. According to the recommended settings, I should run it at decent settings no problem. Tried it and it ran terribly. Everything has to be on low settings for it to even run smooth.

Is there anything I can do? I update my drivers so I doubt it's that. Is whatever I got not up to snuff? It's just so disappointing. :(

Has this been an issue since you built the PC or recently?
You're not maxing everything out are you? Try lowering shadows and using FXAA, with Overwatch make sure the render scale is set to 100% too.

Ever since I built it. Trying to run anything, which could basically be whatever the settings are when I first boot it up, the FPS is ridiculously low. I have the same issue with StarCraft 2 as well. Could it be a Blizzard thing? Only other game I had a problem with on Steam was Borderlands but, then again, I don't really have much time to test anything hefty. As for maxing out, nope.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Can someone explain something to me?

I built a PC in February. Got a GTX 970, i5-4590, and 8 GB of RAM.

Thing is, whatever I play on normal settings runs like shit. I just got Overwatch yesterday. According to the recommended settings, I should run it at decent settings no problem. Tried it and it ran terribly. Everything has to be on low settings for it to even run smooth.

Is there anything I can do? I update my drivers so I doubt it's that. Is whatever I got not up to snuff? It's just so disappointing. :(

Did you install the motherboard / chipset drivers? Is your system overclocked? How are gpu / cpu temps?

Ok I'm dumb about this stuff.

Case in point I went ahead and ordered a 1060, it has now arrived, but all of a sudden I'm worried my MoBo is too old.

Gfx card: Asus GeForce 1060 link

MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LE link

Additional specs:
i5 processor
8 gig ram
win 10
Current Gfx: Nvidia 660ti

I'm not sure how I check if the card will work with my setup, and if I need additional parts I'd order them before I unseal the 1060.

Is there a simple website where you can figure out hardware conflicts?
Any advice?
Upgrade suggestions?
<3

Did you install the motherboard / chipset drivers? Is your system overclocked? How are gpu / cpu temps?

1. I believe so but I don't remember. I had someone help me build so I'm not sure if they did it. How can I check? Sorry, I'm not great with this stuff.

2. System isn't overclocked.

3. Temps are normal.

your using the graphics card display connections and not the onboard motherboard connector right?

Holy crap. That was it.

I moved the HDMI cable into an HDMI port I didn't even notice before (I'm connected wirelessly for the time being and it was under the antennas), plugged it in, opened Overwatch. It jumped to 60 FPS with all new ultra settings.

I'm so embarrassed. Thank you, guys.

FireRises

Im sure next year we will have first 4k 144hz screens on market.

oh I'm sure, in fact I think Acer is pushing out a 4K 100hz display in Q1 2017 iirc, but my point is we'll need a gpu to push beyond 60fps at 4K and that probably won't be realistic (without dropping serious cash) for another generation or two of GPUs.

Ok I'm dumb about this stuff.

Case in point I went ahead and ordered a 1060, it has now arrived, but all of a sudden I'm worried my MoBo is too old.

Gfx card: Asus GeForce 1060 link

MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LE link

Additional specs:
i5 processor
8 gig ram
win 10
Current Gfx: Nvidia 660ti

I'm not sure how I check if the card will work with my setup, and if I need additional parts I'd order them before I unseal the 1060.

Is there a simple website where you can figure out hardware conflicts?
Any advice?
Upgrade suggestions?
<3

Don't worry you are good.

What's the best budget 1080p card? my friend currently has a 7780 and is pretty broke but wants something that'll be better and cheap as possible, he gets really bad FPS in most games. He has a 3570k which is fine. I feel like the 1060 is the best 1080p card ATM but it's too expensive for him. I was thinking a Radeon RX 460 4GB or maybe a Nvidia 960?

Wait a few weeks for the 1050ti, supposed to be released Oct 25ish. But a 470 would be a good upgrade for him. If he doesn't mind used try to find a good used 970. I've seen some locally for 150-160, usually listed at 200, don't be afraid to send a reasonable offer.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry you are good.

Wait a few weeks for the 1050ti, supposed to be released Oct 25ish. But a 470 would be a good upgrade for him. If he doesn't mind used try to find a good used 970. I've seen some locally for 150-160, usually listed at 200, don't be afraid to send a reasonable offer.

1050ti looks great actually, maybe I should just sell him my 970 so I can warrant a 1060 for myself :D

Vipu

Banned
gsync on, vsync on (both in control panel, vsync off in game)
Gsync will take over when your monitor is running below the max refresh rate and then when you hit the max vsync will take over.

Ewwww, vsync on at year of 2016?
I think best is to have gsync on and limit fps under refresh rate so it doesnt go over.

I'm looking for a good quality PSU for a NAS that I'm building. I don't plan to do anything really complicated with it, I just need a place to store my media. I've narrowed it down to these options:

• Super Flower Leadex 650w SF-650F14MT - 80 Plus Silver - R1250
  • EVGA GQ 650w 210-GQ-0650-V1 - 80 Plus Gold - R1450
  • Super Flower Leadex 750w SF-750F14MG - 80 Plus Gold - R1749 (on special - usually R2200)
  • Corsair RMX550 - 80 Plus Gold - R1796
  • Corsair RMX650 - 80 Plus Gold - R2036

The NAS will be pretty small at first. Only two drives to start off with, but by the time it's 100% completed, I'm looking at around 7 drives - one SSD and 6 HDD's (two parity HDD's and 4 storage). I'll probably go with Unraid as it's the only solution that will easily let me add new drives.

It really sucks, because in the last year alone, Seasonic, Noctua, Be Quiet, and Fractal products are no longer being brought into South Africa, which makes buying quality PSU's, CPU coolers and cases quite difficult. EVGA and Super Flower will probably be gone by the end of this year as well. I really wish the ANC would stop being corrupt morons, because every time a new scandal hits, the Rand tanks like a rock, and it's making business really difficult for local suppliers. Profit margins are thin as it is, and the economy being increasingly unstable is not helping at all.

Leeroy605

Hi all, in the process of shopping around for an upgrade to my 670 GTX I've managed to nab a amazing deal on both an EVGA 980ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ and a Gigabyte 1070 founders edition.

Both have arrived today but wondering which one to keep? The 1070 only cost £40 more and I know it's the newer card, but the 980ti is Superclocked and has a better cooler.

Thoughts?

Pretty much finalised my build. Already got the CPU, Monitor, Speakers and keyboard. Another grand to go!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £183.05)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£127.43 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£145.04 @ Novatech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£75.78 @ YoYoTech)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (£409.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (£21.48 @ Ebuyer)
Other: Internal Card Reader (£14.85)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 USB 3.0 Mid Tower Windowed PC Case - Black (£86.99)
Other: Crucial 525GB SSD (£107.99)
Monitor: Asus 27 PG278Q (Purchased For £400.00)
headset: Logitech G930 (Purchased For £69.99)
Keyboard: DBPower RGB Keyboard (Purchased For £29.99)
Other: Logitec Z200 Speakers (Purchased For £23.24)
Total: £1796.77

I'm anticipating being able to get a GPU for about £50 cheaper from ebay as there's a number of them available. Just got to wait and see.
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 11:25 BST+0100

RascarCapat

Neo Member
Hi guys,

I have a friend who would like to build a PC because his laptop just died.

He only plays Civilization 5 and Europa Universalis 4 and plans to play Civ 6.

He asked me for a PC that will run those smoothly but insisted that he didn't want a overpowered PC that he will not fully use.

I think even the budget build on the first page is a big overkill.

Could anyone help us out please ?

Edit : Here are the recommended specs for civ 6

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1179/11799911/3133715-reqs.jpg

vector824

Pretty much finalised my build. Already got the CPU, Monitor, Speakers and keyboard. Another grand to go!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £183.05)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£127.43 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£145.04 @ Novatech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£75.78 @ YoYoTech)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (£409.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan (£21.48 @ Ebuyer)
Other: Internal Card Reader (£14.85)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 USB 3.0 Mid Tower Windowed PC Case - Black (£86.99)
Other: Crucial 525GB SSD (£107.99)
Monitor: Asus 27 PG278Q (Purchased For £400.00)
headset: Logitech G930 (Purchased For £69.99)
Keyboard: DBPower RGB Keyboard (Purchased For £29.99)
Other: Logitec Z200 Speakers (Purchased For £23.24)
Total: £1796.77

I'm anticipating being able to get a GPU for about £50 cheaper from ebay as there's a number of them available. Just got to wait and see.
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 11:25 BST+0100

You'll short-change yourself with 2133mhz RAM, bump to 3000mhz and get this better cooler:

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£33.74 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£155.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £189.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 12:15 BST+0100

Hi guys,

I have a friend who would like to build a PC because his laptop just died.

He only plays Civilization 5 and Europa Universalis 4 and plans to play Civ 6.

He asked me for a PC that will run those smoothly but insisted that he didn't want a overpowered PC that he will not fully use.

I think even the budget build on the first page is a big overkill.

Could anyone help us out please ?

What's the max he wants to pay? He looking for a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc?

You'll short-change yourself with 2133mhz RAM, bump to 3000mhz and get this better cooler:

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£33.74 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£155.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £189.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-14 12:15 BST+0100

Oh excellent, thanks! It's my first PC build so little things like that escape me and I appriciate the advice. I think the Be Quiet fan was on my very first draft but must have changed it when I was trying to trim costs. A couple of quid is neither here nor there really. Done and done!

aravuus

I'm planning on upgrading my PC someday soon-ish, would getting an i7-6800k over an i7-6700k be stupid if I'm not planning on doing anything insanely CPU intensive? I'll be buying a new mobo, some DDR4 RAM and the CPU, so the i7-6800k package would end up being around 150-200e more expensive.

hohoXD123

I'm planning on upgrading my PC someday soon-ish, would getting an i7-6800k over an i7-6700k be stupid if I'm not planning on doing anything insanely CPU intensive? I'll be buying a new mobo, some DDR4 RAM and the CPU, so the i7-6800k package would end up being around 150-200e more expensive.

Just get a 6700k. The price isn't worth the 1-3 extra fps you'll get imo -Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom