• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rnr1224

not sure if this is the best place to ask but im seeing a weird issue recently with my GTX 970 while playing games. Basically it will just drop the gpu usage randomly. Looking at MSI Afterburner, I see the power % and usage % dip at the same time. Also looking at GPU-Z, I see the memory clock speed drop along with the perf reason change to "Util." Any one seen this issue or know of a possible fix? I've made sure the 3d settings and Windows' own power settings are set to High Performance.

not sure if this is the best place to ask but im seeing a weird issue recently with my GTX 970 while playing games. Basically it will just drop the gpu usage randomly. Looking at MSI Afterburner, I see the power % and usage % dip at the same time. Also looking at GPU-Z, I see the memory clock speed drop along with the perf reason change to "Util." Any one seen this issue or know of a possible fix? I've made sure the 3d settings and Windows' own power settings are set to High Performance.

might be a driver issue. roll back to a previous version if you can.

J_Viper

Okay is there something you need to do to enable online play after buying a new PC?

I just bought Overwatch, and can't get into a match. The Blizzard rep is asking for some "traceroute" and that sounds way too complicated for my computing skills

Surely there must be a more simple solution?

Okay is there something you need to do to enable online play after buying a new PC?

I just bought Overwatch, and can't get into a match. The Blizzard rep is asking for some "traceroute" and that sounds way too complicated for my computing skills

Did you post this on your pc or phone?

LilJoka

Nothing, assuming your PC is connected to the internet and at least can browse the web.

Bloodember

Posted from PC, which is connected to the internet and working completely fine

I don't know what is causing me to not be able to join matches.
Did you make sure battle.net and Overwatch are on your firewall exemption list. I think that's what it's called.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
cK3aJIp.jpg

3ejR3gH.jpg

lol

I have a 980 Ti currently. Wondering if upgrading to the 1080 would be worth it. Or even Titan X Pascal.

I game at 3440x1440 @ hopefully min of 60 locked. Occasionally will put my games on a 4K TV.

Is the 1080Ti going to be more powerful than the Titan X Pascal? That's the bigger issue as if it will be then I would wait. But if the Titan XP will still remain king then I wouldn't have any problems using that for the next couple years.

I know these questions can be frustrating but I figured I would ask somewhere vs going back and forth in my head.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Return the card if you can, if not RMA time.

Its a 4 year old 680. It is an EVGA, I wonder if they'd still replace it. I haven't yet installed my new card.

The weird thing is, some games work fine. Thumper has been running flawlessly, CSGO is running at 144fps with no problems.. but Dark Souls and Doom are majorly effed up.

At this point since I have my new card, and I just installed a new PSU yesterday I'm not too worried about it, I just want an explanation.

Like could the thermal paste be worn off? I have had this thing in an SFF case with not great ventilation. Maybe over the years at slightly above ideal temperatures its worn away.. IDK. From a problem solving standpoint I really want to see what the issue is.

Question

Do you need a previous type of Windows OS (7 or 8.1) to upgrade to Windows 10 or can you just install windows 10 directly to ssd as long as you have the cd keys?

kuYuri

I have a 980 Ti currently. Wondering if upgrading to the 1080 would be worth it. Or even Titan X Pascal.

I game at 3440x1440 @ hopefully min of 60 locked. Occasionally will put my games on a 4K TV.

Is the 1080Ti going to be more powerful than the Titan X Pascal? That's the bigger issue as if it will be then I would wait. But if the Titan XP will still remain king then I wouldn't have any problems using that for the next couple years.

I know these questions can be frustrating but I figured I would ask somewhere vs going back and forth in my head.

I'd say hold out for 1080 Ti, it will be cheaper than Titan X Pascal. It's power will probably be similar to 980 Ti versus Titan X Maxwell if I had to guess.

Its a 4 year old 680. It is an EVGA, I wonder if they'd still replace it. I haven't yet installed my new card.

The weird thing is, some games work fine. Thumper has been running flawlessly, CSGO is running at 144fps with no problems.. but Dark Souls and Doom are majorly effed up.

At this point since I have my new card, and I just installed a new PSU yesterday I'm not too worried about it, I just want an explanation.

Like could the thermal paste be worn off? I have had this thing in an SFF case with not great ventilation. Maybe over the years at slightly above ideal temperatures its worn away.. IDK. From a problem solving standpoint I really want to see what the issue is.

http://www.evga.com/support/guestregister.asp

You can enter the serial number and see if it still has any warranty left.

After 4 years of alot of use, it's hard to say really. Video cards tend to die out though much faster than cpus, in my experience.

Have a quick question, purchased a msi factory overclocked 1060 not too long ago, the fans always spin, is this supposed to happen with factory OC gpus, the temps are fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean "fine"? What are your exact temps?

Also how fast are the fans spinning? Fast and noisy? Or just running at low RPM?

Almost all cards now have fanless modes at low temps, but airflow or other issues may prevent the card from staying at those temps. I have a 480 and AMD's cards run the VRAM at full speed all the time if you have dual monitors, which raises temps enough that the fans never idle and usually sit at about 500 RPM.

its been awhile since i built my pc and thinking of upgrading. a few questions:
- is watercooling worth it?
- whats the difference between pcie and sata ssd drives?
- any good guides i can read?

Since I never got an answer on the steam thread.

What's the consensus on the steam controller?
is it as good or better than regular console controllers?

Does it require a learning curve?

Can it be used on non steam games, like origin, gog?

Thanks

If you're not willing to tinker with it from game to game I wouldn't get it. I had it and that is a component. It also has a learning curve.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
with the 7700k right around the corner, is $299 a good deal on a 6700k (plus $30 off on a compatible mobo)?

Kaby should be the smallest performance improvement yet, it's basically a refresh of Skylake. That's a good deal for a 6700K+motherboard, so you might as well bite.

AIO water cooling or custom loops? The best AIO coolers outperform the best air coolers but cost more and are noisier. Arctic's seem like a good balance of noise, performance, and cost, but when I tried one it was DOA. Pump wouldn't run.

Custom loops improve performance and should reduce noise over AIO ones, but it's even more expensive and requires upkeep.

So I guess it depends on your budget, dedication, and priorities. I don't think that many people need anything beyond a decent aftermarket cooler like a $30 Cryorig H7, that will do well for basic multiplier-based overclocking with minimal further tweaking. Beyond that the benefits evaporate pretty quickly. I have a NH-D14, and I'd say it's way overkill for my usage (settled on 4.5GHz core + cache as a daily OC on my 6600K).

PCIe and M.2 drives are faster than SATA ones, but it's not a huge improvement. For gaming and general usage you are fine withe either.

kuYuri

with the 7700k right around the corner, is $299 a good deal on a 6700k (plus $30 off on a compatible mobo)?

Absolutely. Would not be surprised if the 7700k will be priced close to $380+, which is what happened with he 6700k when it first released.

those closed watercoolers are very good

sata SSD have very limited speeds compared to the PCIe versions

nikos

Now that I've ordered all of the components, I'm considering just getting a new case and possibly selling my existing rig as it is. I've had an Antec 900 forever, and it has become too loud and bright for me these days.

I'm looking at the Fractal Design Define S Silent Black, currently $59 on Newegg. I see it's one of the recommended cases in the OT, so I'm assuming it's good.

Any suggestions on other cases? Looking for something quiet and minimalist. Air cooled. A small form-factor would be nice, but it should fit a regular ATX mobo and full sized EVGA 1070.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've ordered all of the components, I'm considering just getting a new case and possibly selling my existing rig as it is. I've had an Antec 900 forever, and it has become too loud and bright for me these days.

I'm looking at the Fractal Design Define S Silent Black, currently $59 on Newegg. I see it's one of the recommended cases in the OT, so I'm assuming it's good.

Any suggestions on other cases? Looking for something quiet and minimalist. Air cooled. A small form-factor would be nice, but it should fit a regular ATX mobo and full sized EVGA 1070.

I worked in an Arc Midi, which is very similar to the Define, and it was an excellent case to work in and very nice looking. I'm pretty high on Fractal Design after my experience with that case.

Phanteks Enthoo series seems pretty popular right now. I personally don't like the look of it but considering the love it's been getting they are probably worth checking out.

AIO water cooling or custom loops? The best AIO coolers outperform the best air coolers but cost more and are noisier. Arctic's seem like a good balance of noise, performance, and cost, but when I tried one it was DOA. Pump wouldn't run.

Just want to chime in on the arctic aio (freezer 240). Its a pretty nice kit, very quiet fans, performance was just below my h110i gt (corsair with 280mm rad), but not that big of a difference. Installation was easy as well. Its very plain though, no leds, if that matters to you. Its a good choice for moderate overclocking.

nikos

I worked in an Arc Midi, which is very similar to the Define, and it was an excellent case to work in and very nice looking. I'm pretty high on Fractal Design after my experience with that case.

Phanteks Enthoo series seems pretty popular right now. I personally don't like the look of it but considering the love it's been getting they are probably worth checking out.

Thanks! Going to look into those cases as well.

chippie

Is now a good time to buy a 1440p g-sync monitor?

I'm interested in buying one but keep thinking 10bit HDR monitors might just be around the corner.

Dio

Banned
Is now a good time to buy a 1440p g-sync monitor?

I'm interested in buying one but keep thinking 10bit HDR monitors might just be around the corner.

I was debating this as well. I'm just going to get a 1080p 144hz monitor without any sync for cheap and live with it (i've only ever owned 60hz monitors) until those hit, I think.

Maaaaannn I was finally upgrading my PC to Oculus rift benchmarks and I think I may have fried my new mobo when switching parts around.

I tried all of the things I knew to get a POST beep but nothing was working. I have actually never had a part die from static shock or anything in like 20 years of messing with PCs so I guess it was due to happen...but damn I really hope it turns out to be something else. I don't really have the cash for a new motherboard atm unless I can find one cheap but parts in this country are usually overpriced. =(

I just dropped my rig off at a local PC repair shop so hopefully I get good news that it was something minor....

Dio

Banned
I really wish Samsung gave an exact date on the 960 release. I don't like how vague 'October' is since I'm basing part of my purchase around paychecks/bills.

At least NZXT shows "October 15" for the S340 Elite on their site.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff off of Newegg - right now they have a nice deal where you get 25 dollars off if you spend over 200 dollars there and pay through MasterPass.

So I got my Acer Predator IPS monitor today.

Had to RMA it immediately.

Is that a XB271HU? That is horrible, worst I've seen. If you have the patience, keep exchanging until you get a great one. It took me 4 replacements, finally I have one without bleed and glow. The picture is gorgeous and worth the time and effort.

big fake

Hey guys sorry to bother you all. Was just dropping into ask two particular questions:
1. I currently have 8GB of 2133mhz ddr4 ram and was wondering if I should upgrade to faster RAM and more of it (16gb). Would it be worth it?

2. I was thinking if getting another SSD for game storage as my boot drive is small. I have a 1 TV I have my game installed to already. Load times are pretty fast regardless but idk if I should go out buy something bigger?

Thanks for your potential responses!

Dio

Banned
Hey guys sorry to bother you all. Was just dropping into ask two particular questions:
1. I currently have 8GB of 2133mhz ddr4 ram and was wondering if I should upgrade to faster RAM and more of it (16gb). Would it be worth it?

2. I was thinking if getting another SSD for game storage as my boot drive is small. I have a 1 TV I have my game installed to already. Load times are pretty fast regardless but idk if I should go out buy something bigger?

I used to think 8GB was enough RAM back in 2011, but these days my laptop came with, and my new PC has, 16gigs. It seems like that's the new baseline (I picked up 16gig ddr4 @ 3000) and 32gb is the new 'super enthusiast' spec.

2133 to 3000 ddr4 doesn't seem like that big of a leap, IMO, but if you're getting 16 I recommend you make the ram a homogeneous speed and manufacture instead of mixing and matching to be safe. My leap was from DDR3 so whatever.

1. You don't necessarily have to upgrade your RAM to higher speeds (is it simply running at the default 2133 or is it rated for higher speeds? If it is you can just OC it by activating XMP in your BIOS), but since RAM is cheap and games are increasingly hungry for it, getting another 8 would be a good idea.

2. Get an SSD for games only if you really feel your load times should be better. There are some HDD/SSD load time comparisons on YouTube which will give you a good idea of the load times of many games with an SSD.

Dio

Banned
EDIT: I didn't really think about the SSHD benefit being not as great as it is otherwise if you're already using an SSD to boot your drive. Never mind.

Auctopus

This might sound like an obvious question but is Black Friday a good time to get deals on my first PC parts?

I've had a competent parts list on PCPartPicker for the last 4-5 months but have been hesitant to take the financial plunge. Would the end of November be a good time to take it?

soco

This might sound like an obvious question but is Black Friday a good time to get deals on my first PC parts?

I've had a competent parts list on PCPartPicker for the last 4-5 months but have been hesitant to take the financial plunge. Would the end of November be a good time to take it?

it's certainly possible, but it depends on where you're looking and how flexible you're willing to replace with other compatible parts. I doubt you'd save a whole lot for most of the parts, though. Maybe get a good deal on a monitor or some peripheral, though.

Dio

Banned
it's certainly possible, but it depends on where you're looking and how flexible you're willing to replace with other compatible parts. I doubt you'd save a whole lot for most of the parts, though. Maybe get a good deal on a monitor or some peripheral, though.
This is what I was thinking, too. I get the feeling that most of the big deals are going to be on televisions, monitors, and the like rather than specific parts.

Mozendo

I'm stuck in a shitty situation, my PSU is failing but I can't replace it because I constantly use my computer especially for work related stuff and I can't buy a new one because I'm barely getting by with the vills. Pray for me GAF ;_;

I'm stuck in a shitty situation, my PSU is failing but I can't replace it because I constantly use my computer especially for work related stuff and I can't buy a new one because I'm barely getting by with the vills. Pray for me GAF ;_;

Backup, backup, backup.

You are dealing with fire and electricity here.

"Work related stuff" and "PSU failure" should never be in the same sentence.

what psu is it and is there a particular model you want to replace it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom