• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a 6gb EVGA 1060 on sale for like 230. Can someone convince me it's worth it? I'm currently gaming on a 2gb R9 270 and i5 4670k and dont really have great results. I'd like to do more PC gaming especially now that XBO games are going to be released on PC more..

Is that a good price?

Yeah it's a good price for a new 1060, and it would be a significant upgrade. Overclock your 4670k to like 4.2 and you won't have any performance issues for awhile.

Bloodember

I'm helping build a new PC for a friend. I'm going to be giving him my old 670 to start out with and the rest of the machine will be a beast. I'm just wondering if anyone has a better suggestion than the Phanteks Pro for a case? It's a reasonable price but I'm wondering if that card, or a future upgrade would be too big? I know with my 980 TI, my Fractal case could barely fit. Any help would be appreciated.

The Enthoo Pro? No, it's a full size case.

LilJoka

You must've missed the news. The GTX 1070 is available in laptops.

That makes sense.

And the other part of my post? Will a (non-overclockable) 3.1Ghz Skylake bottleneck a 1070?

Depends on the game too, if it's using more than one core (overall) then it won't boost to 3.1Ghz. It's 4 core turbo is only 2.6ghz which could have an impact on minimum fps. I think it'll still be a better choice than the 2500k at this point though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the game too, if it's using more than one core (overall) then it won't boost to 3.1Ghz. It's 4 core turbo is only 2.6ghz which could have an impact on minimum fps. I think it'll still be a better choice than the 2500k at this point though.

I very seriously doubt a 2.6GHz Skylake CPU will outperform a 5GHz Sandy Bridge one in any workload that the two have reasonably equal instruction set support for (some specific tasks that make heavy use of newer extensions might be more competitive). That would require practically double the performance per clock, and the incremental performance improvements over the last four generations of Intel CPUs simply don't add up to that.

Edit: Looks like a 3.2GHz 6500 is only a slight upgrade over a 4.5GHz 2500K. Doesn't look like anything less than moving to a 6600K or better overclockable chip is a worthwhile upgrade.

LilJoka

I very seriously doubt a 2.6GHz Skylake CPU will outperform a 5GHz Sandy Bridge one in any workload that the two have reasonably equal instruction set support for (some specific tasks that make heavy use of newer extensions might be more competitive). That would require practically double the performance per clock, and the incremental performance improvements over the last four generations of Intel CPUs simply don't add up to that.

Edit: Looks like a 3.2GHz 6500 is only a slight upgrade over a 4.5GHz 2500K. Doesn't look like anything less than moving to a 6600K or better overclockable chip is a worthwhile upgrade.

If we say 10% IPC improvement per gen
i5 2500k 5ghz
i5 3570k 4.5ghz
i5 4570k 4.1Ghz
i5 6600k 3.7ghz

An i7 6700HQ is only slower than a 6700k by clock speed.
You got the Hyper threading in addition.

It would be somewhat close.

Plus you are talking 200W+ vs 35W.
Then heat, noise, stability/reliability.

On single core work loads the HQ is doing 3.5Ghz so I would expect it to be very similar to a 2500K at 5Ghz.

Hey guys, hoping you can help a friend of mine with a fairly new build. He has:

AMD FX-9590 CPU with 212 cooler
Nvidia 960 4gb
16gb ram
Samsung Evo 850 SSD with Win 10
WD Black 7200 rpm 2TB
M5A99FX motherboard

Everything was working fine until he got the new AMD cpu and now certain games will completely lock up his PC. His Xbox controller will start flashing and he has to go to his tower (a HAL 900 or something I believe) and hold the power button

He can play for example, Fallout 4 for hours, but Gears 4 locks up every 10 minutes, sometimes when it's just sitting on the title screen. He even went as far as turning off all power saving in Windows as a website suggested that. He also reseated his CPU twice now.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? He's at his wits end. Oh, and bios is fully updated.

This is turd 200+ watt Amd cpu. When a game simultaneously loads gpu and cpu you have huge spike in power consumption which either overloads your psu or your mainboard vrms or you cooling.
Turning power saving features in windows is even worse.

Your best bet is probably down clocking it and reducing voltage to the levels used by 8350.

LordAlu

Hey guys, hoping you can help a friend of mine with a fairly new build. He has:

AMD FX-9590 CPU with 212 cooler
Nvidia 960 4gb
16gb ram
Samsung Evo 850 SSD with Win 10
WD Black 7200 rpm 2TB
M5A99FX motherboard

Everything was working fine until he got the new AMD cpu and now certain games will completely lock up his PC. His Xbox controller will start flashing and he has to go to his tower (a HAL 900 or something I believe) and hold the power button

He can play for example, Fallout 4 for hours, but Gears 4 locks up every 10 minutes, sometimes when it's just sitting on the title screen. He even went as far as turning off all power saving in Windows as a website suggested that. He also reseated his CPU twice now.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? He's at his wits end. Oh, and bios is fully updated.
That CPU pretty much requires an AIO liquid cooler to work properly. Clock it down to FX-8350 levels for now, then save up and buy Intel.

Benedict

I'm in the planning stage to get a new PC to replace my old from 2009, that are not really cutting it these days...

I'm on a budget and also want a quiet computer so I am a bit limited in what I choose.
I will also probably use my old 1080p monitor from 2012 a couple of years more.
I want the computer to last at least five years, and want to have a good base if I get a new graphic card in a couple of years.

I might switch the 6gb 1060 card to a 3gb card to save some money.

A reason for choosing Asus for both GFX and motherboard is that a few Swedish stores have a campaign where they build and test the computer for free, something that otherwise costs 699 sek (80 usd)

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DJBphq
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DJBphq/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£213.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.33 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£68.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£64.96 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Strix Video Card (£299.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.99 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£84.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £1064.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 15:03 BST+0100

This will land somewhere between 11000-13000 sek which is about 1245 usd/1135 euro/1021 gbp to 1470 usd/1350 euro/1200gbp.
Any other suggestions or is this a good option?

A 1070 is a bit overkill for me and costs about 560 usd here in Sweden.

Another option is to buy a branded computer. Lenovo Y710 Cube is on offer here, the gfx is good (1070) but the base parts might be a bit less interesting and have no idea about the noise levels...
It includes only 8gb of RAM and a less powerful cpu, but has built in Wifi/BT support
The price is 9990 sek (1130 usd) and includes a free downloadable game, for instance Civ VI.

Hi gaf, looking at my first decent self build for about £1800 and have got a general setup decided on.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£308.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£110.00 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£187.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£75.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£60.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX strix 1070 8GB Video Card (£439.99)
Case: Corsair Air 740 ATX Full Tower Case (£129.91 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£145.21 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£86.89 @ More Computers)
Total: £1714.26

I will be over clocking the cpu and gpu and want to have the extra power incase I ever buy a second gpu, but the real question is I can get 4 slightly used 850 EVO 500gb for 60 a piece and wondering if a raid 10 setup would go well as I don't need more than a terabyte, want some redundancy and any extra speed gains are welcome.

Where did you get your SSD's from for that cheap dude? Just finished buying all the parts for my build and the same Samsung ones I got were like 40 quid more. My builds near identical to yours too!

I'm in the planning stage to get a new PC to replace my old from 2009, that are not really cutting it these days...

I'm on a budget and also want a quiet computer so I am a bit limited in what I choose.
I want the computer to last at least five years, and want to have a good base if I get a new graphic card in a couple of years.

A reason for choosing Asus for both GFX and motherboard is that a few Swedish stores have a campaign where they build and test the computer for free, something that otherwise costs 699 sek (80 usd)

This will land somewhere between 11000-13000 sek which is about 1245 usd/1135 euro/1021 gbp to 1470 usd/1350 euro/1200gbp.

Another option is to buy a branded computer. Lenovo Y710 Cube is on offer here, the gfx is good (1070) but the base parts might be a bit less interesting and have no idea about the noise levels...

Well in that regard, you could shave off the price a bit on the GPU a bit after looking around. Whether from Scan, or from local suppliers you can find some models below the £280/3000kr mark, which when factoring in shipping (just checked, they add £21.06 for shipping to Sweden on GPUs) will be a fair bit cheaper than the Strix model you've got lined up there. Mind you, if money's no issue, that advice is probably unhelpful.

Benedict

Well in that regard, you could shave off the price a bit on the GPU a bit after looking around. Whether from Scan, or from local suppliers you can find some models below the £280/3000kr mark, which when factoring in shipping (just checked, they add £21.06 for shipping to Sweden on GPUs) will be a fair bit cheaper than the Strix model you've got lined up there. Mind you, if money's no issue, that advice is probably unhelpful.

Thanks for the input.
I don't plan you buy any parts from the suppliers in the list.
I just used the site to build the list, since most use it in this thread.
I will buy all parts from just one Swedish supplier that then also builds the PC.
That limits my options on finding cheap prices.
I'm thinking of getting the Palit 1060 3gb card to save some money, as it is supposed to be pretty quiet. A quiet system is important for me.
Although Webhallen.se and Inet.se have a campaign where they do the build for free if I get both an Asus motherboard and graphic card. The Strix card is also supposed to be quiet, semi passive.

Leeroy605

Hi all, need a little help with a RAM upgrade.

So I originally had one stick of 8Gb Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9) and wanted to upgrade to 16Gb.

Whilst looking I found a great deal on this kit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068ZWZY0/

So was planning to use two of the sticks from this (motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97N-Gaming 5, only has two Ram slots) and sell the other two and my old one to cover the costs.

However when I put both sticks of the new Ram in, only one is being recognized. Any ideas why this would be? Do all four have to be used for it to be recognized due to it being a quad channel kit? Thanks for any replies!

EDIT: Took them out, put them back in and they worked. Don't think the second stick was properly seated (the fins at the top of these things make it a bit of a squeeze and hard to work with!). All is well!

Thanks for the input.
I don't plan you buy any parts from the suppliers in the list.
I just used the site to build the list, since most use it in this thread.
I will buy all parts from just one Swedish supplier that then also builds the PC.
That limits my options on finding cheap prices.
I'm thinking of getting the Palit 1060 3gb card to save some money, as it is supposed to be pretty quiet. A quiet system is important for me.
Although Webhallen.se and Inet.se have a campaign where they do the build for free if I get both an Asus motherboard and graphic card. The Strix card is also supposed to be quiet, semi passive.

Fair enough, fair enough.

Some cards come with a feature that effectively allows you to turn off the fans for the card while its not under intensive use - ie, just idling on the desktop - so it might be worth investigating. Some have it as an advertised feature, like ZOTAC, while like others like EVGA patched it in later. Recommend looking around if noise is a particular concern.

FireRises

not sure if this will help anyone, but I recently switched to a 4K monitor (32") and instead of relying on scaling, I adjusted the text size (default is 9, moved to 12) off all the title bars, icons, etc and now I can maintain the 1:1 4K native resolution and still read stuff without a magnifying glass.... and no need for terrible Windows scaling.

I currently have a nVidia 670 and i5 3570k (ivy bridge). I'm going to upgrade the video card, but do I really need to get a new processor? Or are the latest CPUs really that much of an upgrade?

kennah

I currently have a nVidia 670 and i5 3570k (ivy bridge). I'm going to upgrade the video card, but do I really need to get a new processor? Or are the latest CPUs really that much of an upgrade?
You'd probably see a large enough improvement with just the video card. Can hold off on cpu for now I'd say

LilJoka

It includes only 8gb of RAM and a less powerful cpu, but has built in Wifi/BT support
The price is 9990 sek (1130 usd) and includes a free downloadable game, for instance Civ VI.

If you never SLId your old rig, maybe consider mATX or even ITX.

An example

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£213.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.33 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£100.97 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£75.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£64.96 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Strix Video Card (£299.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£67.32 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.99 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£84.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £1019.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 23:14 BST+0100

Quick question regarding SSDs in the first post build guide: why is Samsung's 850 EVO so highly touted? I'm putting together an mITX Steambox for the living room, and my initial choice, a 1 TB Crucial MX300, is ~$60 cheaper. I know the latter is an older model, but if the 850 EVO is that much better for a pure gaming PC, then I would reconsider my choice.

LilJoka

Quick question regarding SSDs in the first post build guide: why is Samsung's 850 EVO so highly touted? I'm putting together an mITX Steambox for the living room, and my initial choice, a 1 TB Crucial MX300, is ~$60 cheaper. I know the latter is an older model, but if the 850 EVO is that much better for a pure gaming PC, then I would reconsider my choice.

It's just the fastest mainstream SSD.
The crucial SSDs are nearly as good.
You'll never know the difference outside of benchmarks.

I wouldn't spend too much extra for the Samsung.

Has anyone tried selling their old PC builds? Where does someone do something like that and what price is fair?

I'm still using my first build that I've slowly upgraded over the years, however, with the need for a new CPU I've found that I've basically got to replace everything (even the case!) except for the GPU and my drives. I figure if I can grab another HDD, I could sell my old PC for a decent price, it runs most games nowadays at 30FPS with max settings so it's very much still usable. Are there people out there willing to buy?

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

Should give you some info why. I was considering the mx300 over the 500gb EVO, but the mx300 is actually worse performance wise than the mx200. You know those next revisions of a product where they found out how to manufacture something for cheaper and then increase the price of the older, better model.

At the end of the day the mx300 is still pretty good, don't let my post put you off it if it sounds like I'm saying it's shit. As a OS drive it's good value. For pure games-only drive I use a 500gb EVO.

Aikidoka

Quick question about PSU connections. I'm thinking of getting MSI 1080 Gaming X which requires 2 8-pin connectors. My PSU (650W SuperNova GS) seems to have 2 8-pin slots but one is labeled 'VGA1' and the other 'VGA2'. I can just just plug the one GPU into both slots right?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought my GTX 780 Ti the day it came out - November 7, 2013. I've been on a 1080p 60hz monitor and my card's still getting the job done 3 years later... probably the longest I've ever kept a card. Combined with the 2600k that I've had for even longer and I don't know when I'll ever need to upgrade my rig if I stay at 1080p. I just finished FF14 which ran great, next I plan to get BF1 which I know runs great because I was in the beta, and after that I guess the next game for me would be Tales of Berseria in 2017 which should definitely be less taxing than BF1.

DBT85

Quick question about PSU connections. I'm thinking of getting MSI 1080 Gaming X which requires 2 8-pin connectors. My PSU (650W SuperNova GS) seems to have 2 8-pin slots but one is labeled 'VGA1' and the other 'VGA2'. I can just just plug the one GPU into both slots right?

yes.

Windtrick

Are there any stores or websites that are willing to build a computer for you through financing? I don't mean sites like "xoticpc" and such, more like purchasing parts and a build option with financing. Thanks for any help.

Are there any stores or websites that are willing to build a computer for you through financing? I don't mean sites like "xoticpc" and such, more like purchasing parts and a build option with financing. Thanks for any help.

PC Specialist do what you want I think and have finance options. Other sites such as scan, novatech, overclockers do bundles you can configure.

I've just picked up an i5 2500k with 16gb ram, 650w PSU, good case and decent motherboard for completely free.

My budget is really tight what's the best budget GPU to get that can do me solid 60fps at 1080p? Don't really want to spend more than 200 for GPU and HDD.

leng jai

I've just picked up an i5 2500k with 16gb ram, 650w PSU, good case and decent motherboard for completely free.

My budget is really tight what's the best budget GPU to get that can do me solid 60fps at 1080p? Don't really want to spend more than 200 for GPU and HDD.

Only $200 to spend when you got all that stuff for free? A 1060 is what you need, that in itself is more than $200. Probably could get by with a second hand 970, not sure how much those are going for though.

So I have bought all my parts for my new build. My 2700k has been sold and I will miss it dearly, it has served me well these past five or so years. Thing is a beast, for £150 though it only cost me £70 over half a decade, not bad.

Got a 5820k, 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz RAM, ASUS X99-M WS and a R9 Nano to fit in my Silverstone mATX HTPC GD05B case. Reusing my Antec Truepower New 650w PSU. I will probably have to dissolve my three different hard drives into one bigger one.

Amazon Warehouse with the 20% student discount has been a life saver. The ASUS motherboard for example is £270, £197 Like new on Amazon Warehouse, with the 20% off just £157 and it's not even been used. Same with the RAM, £100 got it for £68. Nano cost me just £265 after some good haggling on eBay. Will sell on my 390x to my brother.

Haven't built a PC from scratch in a long time, I look forward to it.

Only $200 to spend when you got all that stuff for free? A 1060 is what you need, that in itself is more than $200. Probably could get by with a second hand 970, not sure how much those are going for though.

£200, not dollars so I can easily afford a 1060 3GB, but it seems like the 6GB is the one to go for. May just save up for an extra month and get that as it seems like it will be worth it.

I wasn't expecting the computer so hadn't planned for it at all hence having no budget haha

leng jai

£200, not dollars so I can easily afford a 1060 3GB, but it seems like the 6GB is the one to go for. May just save up for an extra month and get that as it seems like it will be worth it.

I wasn't expecting the computer so hadn't planned for it at all hence having no budget haha

Ah yeah, that gives you more wiggle room. Definitely save up a bit longer for a 6GB.

amardilo

Have DDR4 prices been increasing a lot?

I bought 16GB of DDR4 (2 sticks of 8GB) for £106 back in August and I looked online for the same item and it's now over £140!

ehead

This might seem a bit off-topic but due to the recent confirmation that Neogaf had some malware attacks recently I thought I'd ask. What are some good anti-virus programs? I already have Malware intalled in my desktop and Avira in my laptop. Avira's kinda conflicting with Microsoft Security Essentials, so I'm thinking of removing it.

I bought 16GB of DDR4 (2 sticks of 8GB) for £106 back in August and I looked online for the same item and it's now over £140!

Have you looked at the price of the pound versus the dollar lately?

Secondhand 970s tend to hover around the £150-£200 range on ebay I find. There's a few 1060s there atm, but I'd expect them to go over the £200 mark in the last few hours. Then again with how new the card is, that's losing out on the bulk of the warranty I believe.

This might seem a bit off-topic but due to the recent confirmation that Neogaf had some malware attacks recently I thought I'd ask. What are some good anti-virus programs? I already have Malware intalled in my desktop and Avira in my laptop. Avira's kinda conflicting with Microsoft Security Essentials, so I'm thinking of removing it.

Edit: The one my family tends to use - Dad works for 3M - is Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Absolutely cheap to find codes around, since ones from the last few years are still valid for the 2016 program and such. Have never really had issues with virus thanks to it, to the point I sometimes get confused when people mention a bunch of attacks that just haven't happened for me. Biggest issue is that a dedicated scan can take ages to finish, and its a bit of a RAM hog. If however you've got 16 GB or more, you should be fine even while playing games.

brexit. i'll tell you i'm glad i built my PC when i did! in total i paid £1,370. if i were to build the exact same PC from the same retailer today it'd cost £1,510

BBboy20

I just gotten wind of Kaby Lake and I'm wondering how much of a performence gap it might be compared to an OCed i5-2500k. If it really is that big of performance (I have no idea how big teh supposed 14% upgrade will be compared to modern games) and still uses Ivy Bridge, it might be a tempting offer...well, depending on what the price will be.

I still haven't OCed my CPU.

I just gotten wind of Kaby Lake and I'm wondering how much of a performence gap it might be compared to an OCed i5-2500k. If it really is that big of performance (I have no idea how big teh supposed 14% upgrade will be compared to modern games) and still uses Ivy Bridge, it might be a tempting offer...well, depending on what the price will be.

I still haven't OCed my CPU.

if you have a sandy/ivybridge it might be worth upgrading to kabylake. most people i've seen who are going to get a kabylake have been using sandybridge. if you can get a skylake cpu for cheaper then go for that. there will be very little difference between sky/kabylake.

longsword 13

Neo Member
Where did you get your SSD's from for that cheap dude? Just finished buying all the parts for my build and the same Samsung ones I got were like 40 quid more. My builds near identical to yours too!

A mate of mine is clearing out some of his businesses spare laptops which all had 500gb 850's in so getting mates rates! should have plenty of life left in them!

A mate of mine is clearing out some of his businesses spare laptops which all had 500gb 850's in so getting mates rates! should have plenty of life left in them!

you can use samsung magician to check. my 1TB drive has used 6.5TB and it says it's in good health. maybe there are better programs to use i don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom