• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGMIII

What are peoples thoughts about picking up a 1080 at this point?

It seems like early 2017 might be when AMD & Nvidia are going to clash again with CES 2017 being 5-8th January and with me being in the UK I'm worried about how the Sterling is going to affect the prices of new GPUs here.

Worth the wait until CES to find out if new cards are on the horizon or should I stop thinking about it and pull the trigger on a 1080?

kennah

1. There is always something new coming.
2. If you wait for one what's to stop you from waiting for the next one.
3. The 1080 won't magically stop working when the new cards come out.

If you have one available at a price you're comfortable paying, then go for it.

Mozendo

I've just picked up an i5 2500k with 16gb ram, 650w PSU, good case and decent motherboard for completely free.

My budget is really tight what's the best budget GPU to get that can do me solid 60fps at 1080p? Don't really want to spend more than 200 for GPU and HDD.

So about $150 for the GPU? I guess you can get a GTX 960 or a RX 460, but if you spend $50 to get an RX 470 you'll be doubling your frame rates.

The Flash

Banned
A GTX 1070 should be able to run on this correct?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Pro3 LGA 1150
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply

Just installed this on top of my GTX1080FE.

71S4z2Al.jpg

Unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF2vFGpjtP8
May not be entirely understandable, mixture of the local language and English.

EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid Kit Unboxing. Preliminary temperatures running on load at 41-45C on 4K Ultra settings with G-Sync in Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4, with core clock maintaining a steady 2101Mhz and memory clock of 11GHz.

More thorough stress tests and gaming to be done later.

Iorv3th

This might seem a bit off-topic but due to the recent confirmation that Neogaf had some malware attacks recently I thought I'd ask. What are some good anti-virus programs? I already have Malware intalled in my desktop and Avira in my laptop. Avira's kinda conflicting with Microsoft Security Essentials, so I'm thinking of removing it.

Any antivirus is going to conflict with MSE. You should never have 2 antivirus programs running at once. Turn one of them off/disable uninstall. (I would say keep avira and get rid of MSE).

Erebus

How are Corsair SSDs nowadays? I found a Corsair 240GB at discount, priced at only 69€ compared to the 95€ of an 850 EVO of the same storage capacity.

Is the 850 EVO worth the premium? I'm looking for a bargain to finally get rid of my aging HDD.

Abhor

How are Corsair SSDs nowadays? I found a Corsair 240GB at discount, priced at only 69€ compared to the 95€ of an 850 EVO of the same storage capacity.

Is the 850 EVO worth the premium? I'm looking for a bargain to finally get rid of my aging HDD.

Not worth the brand premium. Real world performance is same, so unless you like to stare at benchmark numbers, just buy the better priced one.

I recommend you use the SSD as your windows boot drive, and reformat your HDD for use as storage.

Bloodember

Edit: The one my family tends to use - Dad works for 3M - is Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Absolutely cheap to find codes around, since ones from the last few years are still valid for the 2016 program and such. Have never really had issues with virus thanks to it, to the point I sometimes get confused when people mention a bunch of attacks that just haven't happened for me. Biggest issue is that a dedicated scan can take ages to finish, and its a bit of a RAM hog. If however you've got 16 GB or more, you should be fine even while playing games.

What do you mean Kaspersky is a RAM hog? It's one of the reasons I switched to it, it's not a RAM hog. It uses less than 64mb of RAM, it does fluctuate though. On my two systems anyway.

Any recommendations?

Unfortunately not too knowledgeable on PSUs personally beyond the general correlation of power requirements.

What do you mean Kaspersky is a RAM hog? It's one of the reasons I switched to it, it's not a RAM hog. It uses less than 64mb of RAM, it does fluctuate though. On my two systems anyway.

...See, I was basing that on how it used to run on my laptop, where it could up a gig or more at its worst, and tend to be a few hundred megabytes in idle. Looking at it on my desktop right now though, its only 128 or so. Curious, especially since I know high RAM usage was something I could find a fair few people complaining similarly about. Wonder if it means Kaspersky actually addressed it.

Water coolers, need some input. Just wrapping up a build, and all looked great.

Fast forward one week, and there's a ton of white powder and sediment in the reservoir. There is actually a film covering everything it seems.
Now all my tubes are coated in this stuff and all looks awful. It isn't plasticizer since I'm using acrylic tubing. I've rinsed it out with warm soap water to try to flush it but it doesn't seem to want to come off.

Is it flux? If so, how do I clean it out without a teardown?

Forgive the cellphone pics, but I'm at work at can't resize them.

Jacqli

With the announcement of those new unexpensive graphic cards from Nvidia, I would really appreciate to receive some advice. I was planning on upgrading my computer next year, currently I have:
AMD FX-8350 + RAIJINTEK THEMIS EVO
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
G.SKILL SNIPER 1866 8GB
FPS RAIDER 650W
SAPPHIRE RADEON R9 280X DUAL-X 3GB GDDR5
Everything inside of THERMALTAKE COMMANDER MS-I

What should I upgrade that I would really notice the difference? My budget is limited (right now, I cannot say how much I will allocate to this) so I would like to make the most out of it.

Thanks! :)

The Flash

Banned
Okay something weird is happening.

I got a new power supply and a EVGA 1070 today. Seemingly got everything installed correctly but when I have the 1070 in the pc, internet connection (ethernet through a powerline adapter) doesn't work. Just says "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration". When I take out the 1070 like it is now, internet is working just fine.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Edit:

Ok now it seems to be working. Might've just been something with the powerline adapter.

Ac30

Are there any other settings to play with that can deal with Vdroop beyond LLC? I need to update my BIOS for it to show but I've had bad experiences with flashing... I already disabled all power saving measures and put voltage at static but my CPU still won't stay at 4.5GHz, it hovers between 4.1-4.3 :/

Bloodember

Are there any other settings to play with that can deal with Vdroop beyond LLC? I need to update my BIOS for it to show but I've had bad experiences with flashing... I already disabled all power saving measures and put voltage at static but my CPU still won't stay at 4.5GHz, it hovers between 4.1-4.3 :/
It won't it will always fluctuate as needed.

Okay something weird is happening.

I got a new power supply and a EVGA 1070 today. Seemingly got everything installed correctly but when I have the 1070 in the pc, internet connection (ethernet through a powerline adapter) doesn't work. Just says "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration". When I take out the 1070 like it is now, internet is working just fine.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Check your adapter settings?

Sooo my parents accidentally got water on my PC while cleaning our turtle tank, I let it sit and dry but now it's making loud peeping noises every time I move the extremely laggy mouse. And after about 5-10 minutes one of my two monitors just like disconnects and the whole thing freezes. I opened up my tower and everything seems dry... except towards the bottom were there was very little water so I'm kinda worried that the power supply is ruined. Also everything is now completely unplugged from the tower.

Any tips?

Edit: Just opened up the other side of the tower, and for sure there some sprinkles of water on the cables. :/

LilJoka

Only LLC will help vdroop.
Vdroop isn't to do with CPU frequency though.
Exactly what are you trying to fix?

So the first half of my build is completed. Old parts boxed and ready for sale.

First scare was doing the LGA2011-v3 locking mechanism a bit wrong and having the CPU fly out, close inspection seems to reveal that the pins are all fine, fingers crossed anyway.

Second the mounting mechanism for my heatsink seemed a bit weird but I think I've figured it out.

Just need my RAM and GPU to arrive tomorrow and after I get back from work to connect it all up.

Exciting times.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I had the time to plug in my 1080 today.

That 3M riser cable is amazing, very costly but now that I've fiddled with it I can see the quality.

The cavalcade of issues I've been having the last month must be my old 680. I noticed some weird texture pop in and stuff in DOOM which made me super paranoid but after playing with some settings and playing for a bit it seems like its running fine.

This is what I had been getting with my 680:

And when I first turned on my 1080 the game looked like this:

But then after a bit of playing around it seems like I got it working properly.
I did have antialiasing completely off at first from a leftover setting, but once I reset the settings to default and then set them at max it seemed like it was working flawlessly.

And under Vulkan my rig kept 144fps on ultra during a super intense gore room encounter.

Looks good, but I went through a period of being unsure whether or not it looked right and freaked out about every little imperfection.

This looks right, right?

Simultaneously I was playing Dark Souls 3 and freaking about why 2D grass sprites looked so muddy. I was sure there was a holdover graphical issue but I changed a few settings on the Nvidia control panel, namely transparent AA and it seemed to look right.

Again, it was really strange because I was sure someting was "off" but the longer I looked at it the more I realized it had to just be my imagination.

Ac30

Only LLC will help vdroop.
Vdroop isn't to do with CPU frequency though.
Exactly what are you trying to fix?

I set my multiplier to 45 but as soon as the CPU is under load it drops to 4.1-4.2. It idles at 4.5Ghz as I've already disabled all SpeedStep things. Could max turbo duration/power options affect it?

I would spend a little bit more on a power supply. The CX are not the most reliable at times. I went from a CX750 to EVGA G2. Never happier. Corsairs RM series is better.

Go with a full sized card, not some mITX variant.

Thanks, I got most of everything connected except for the small cables from the case. Power SW and Reset SW doesn't have a +/- and there is PLED and Power LED which has 3 pins when I only have 2 wires. Is there any difference between PLED and Power LED?

Iorv3th

I set my multiplier to 45 but as soon as the CPU is under load it drops to 4.1-4.2. It idles at 4.5Ghz as I've already disabled all SpeedStep things. Could max turbo duration/power options affect it?

Is the multiplier set for all cores? Otherwise it will only run at max on 1-2 cores. As more cores are used the multiplier drops.

linkraceist

Neo Member
Any thoughts on this prebuilt system at $999 USD?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467635/G313_Desktop_Computer

Intel Core i5-6600K Processor 3.5GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
480GB Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready
Asus 24x DVDRW Drive
Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wireless
MSI Z170A PC Mate Systemboard
Display Not Included

Do you know anything about the PSU? Those are usually pretty bad on pre-builts which is where their margin comes from.

BBboy20

Not worth the brand premium. Real world performance is same, so unless you like to stare at benchmark numbers, just buy the better priced one.

I recommend you use the SSD as your windows boot drive, and reformat your HDD for use as storage.
I was surprised that my old HDD wasn't formated when I first installed Windows 7 though maybe that's due to the new and current primary HDD that I also inserted at the time.

Is it better to have the highest amount of RAM with the fewest sticks, performance wise?

moowear

Do you know anything about the PSU? Those are usually pretty bad on pre-builts which is where their margin comes from.

I see. This is what I got from their page:

Power Supply
500 Watt
Combined +12V Rating
480 Watts (40A)

As far as branding on the PSU, I'm guessing it's one of their (PowerSpec) generic ones? I'm not familiar with the brand but would it be safe to assume that they wouldn't build it, specifically with the 1070, without thorough testing?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
any 1070 owners here?

just read about this micron stuff after buying an msi 1070 gaming x

i'm building my rig this weekend, i'll be super pissed if i end up with the non-samsung ram in it

any way to find out what ram it has short of installing it and using that application mentioned earlier?

wihio

any 1070 owners here?

i'm building my rig this weekend, i'll be super pissed if i end up with the non-samsung ram in it

any way to find out what ram it has short of installing it and using that application mentioned earlier?

It is possible that somewhere out there someone compiled a list of SKUs that are associated with Samsung or Micron RAM on 1070s, but I haven't seen it.

You will just have to install it to see. Time will tell what Nvidia will do about this-- it seems that it is really just a voltage regulation issue that *may* be fixable (to some extent) via firmware updates.

linkraceist

Neo Member
I see. This is what I got from their page:

Power Supply
500 Watt
Combined +12V Rating
480 Watts (40A)

As far as branding on the PSU, I'm guessing it's one of their (PowerSpec) generic ones? I'm not familiar with the brand but would it be safe to assume that they wouldn't build it, specifically with the 1070, without thorough testing?

Oh, it'll definitely work just fine. What you'd get in a better power supply are things like lower electricity cost over time due to more efficiency.

If you're ok with a slightly worse PSU, the price considering the parts you're getting is pretty solid (not sure how sales tax would affect you). Only other reasons I'd say custom build is if you want to choose your own case/have more headroom to overclock/just like being able to choose each part individually (You may want more SSD space/less RAM/etc).

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
I have this problem where I can't stick with new GPUs that long. The last two GPUs I owned I kept for less than a few months each. I am just afraid they will lose their value so now I try to get rid of them months before that happens...

Do you guys think the R9 Fury is as good buy at $280? I'm currently gaming at 1440p and am strongly considering that, at that price it's already lost 1/2 it's value but I do have some concerns about the 4 GB of VRAM and my current resolution of 1440p...

any 1070 owners here?

I have that card. What's the difference between samsung and micron for the ram?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
any 1070 owners here?

You could take the cooler off and look at the chips, but this would almost certainly void your warranty.

Installing it and checking via software is definitely the best option.

I have that card. What's the difference between samsung and micron for the ram?

Looks like it overclocks worse. Unless you are planning to heavily OC the VRAM it shouldn't make a difference.

Oh, it'll definitely work just fine. What you'd get in a better power supply are things like lower electricity cost over time due to more efficiency.

Build quality is a much bigger factor than efficiency for good PSUs. A better PSU will be more reliable, have better failsafes to prevent it from dying and/or killing other components, delivery cleaner power, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom