• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachinko

Guys, I've asked before but I'm gonna take a shot in the dark once more -

Is there seriously only 2-3 4K monitors out there at 32 inches ? And they're also pretty much the same price as a 42" 4K TV ?

This PC I built back in February was intended to have a 4K monitor added to it next year but the one I want it just so damn expensive (ACER predator 32 inch) and I've heard that it also has some issues.

So do I just hope that some better ones make it out next year or is there a 32" 4KTV out there that works really nice as a PC monitor ? (of course I went Nvidia so I was really planning to take advantage of gsync but that's another expensive feature..)

To those wondering - I have a 27 inch 1080p "monitor" samsung made a few years ago , it's really more a small 3DTV than anything else and there's plenty I like about it but I figure if I'm going to quadruple the number of pixels I can safely get something a few inches larger right ?

What does Monitor GAF have to say about this ?

moowear

Oh, it'll definitely work just fine. What you'd get in a better power supply are things like lower electricity cost over time due to more efficiency.

If you're ok with a slightly worse PSU, the price considering the parts you're getting is pretty solid (not sure how sales tax would affect you). Only other reasons I'd say custom build is if you want to choose your own case/have more headroom to overclock/just like being able to choose each part individually (You may want more SSD space/less RAM/etc).

Gotcha thank you! I was thinking the same thing about component price points as well and thought the price was fair for it all. Thanks again.

VoxPop

Looking to finally upgrade my PC after many years! Only upgraded my GPU in that time frame. My 2500K and 570>970 have been chugging on for quite some time. Going to give my entire MicroATX build a rest and go back to the lovely giant towers.

Recycling my monitor, keyboard, mouse, Xonar DG. Looking to get into VR in the near future and hopefully this build is enough.

U6oxkzb.png

Please let me know of anything useful or suggestions before I take the plunge soon :)

Dio

Banned
Hey guys, the 960 Pro/Evo SSDs are now available for proper preorder on Samsung's site.

They now say "2-4 weeks left" instead of what they said before.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Jimrpg

any 1070 owners here?

just read about this micron stuff after buying an msi 1070 gaming x

i'm building my rig this weekend, i'll be super pissed if i end up with the non-samsung ram in it

any way to find out what ram it has short of installing it and using that application mentioned earlier?

I hear the coil whine only happens if you overclock the memory excessively. The memory should be fine otherwise. Not a great situation but if you want a 1070 there's not much choice from AMD.

LilJoka

I set my multiplier to 45 but as soon as the CPU is under load it drops to 4.1-4.2. It idles at 4.5Ghz as I've already disabled all SpeedStep things. Could max turbo duration/power options affect it?

So LLC won't help here.
Yes the turbo durations could be the problem or your boards VRM is over heating.
Speedstep and C1E should be off only if you want the idle speed to be 4,5Ghz - not sure why you would want that.

MCD

I want to get a free sync monitor so I want to upgrade (or maybe downgrade?) from a GTX 970 to an AMD card. What are my options? 480? Or the old cards like 290/390?

Woke up this morning to a delay message on my RAM, at 2:30am they sent that to me. I have prime and I ordered it on Saturday and it was supposed to be delivered today.

Spoke to customer service, first person wanted to give me £10 credit and nothing more so I said no thanks, I will try again later.

Got into work and tried again and this guy says he will make sure it will be delivered today and I was given an extra months Prime. I am sceptical but we will see. It is coming all the way from Scotland with Royal Mail, it was despatched about 30 minutes ago.

If it doesn't, I have it in writing anyway.

Hey guys, the 960 Pro/Evo SSDs are now available for proper preorder on Samsung's site.

They now say "2-4 weeks left" instead of what they said before.

Hm, the shipping time is a little disappointing since I was expecting to get this at the end of October. Hopefully it's closer to 2 weeks rather than 4.

Thanks though, went ahead and preordered the 1TB EVO.

I don't know if this is the right place but my PC is not booting up. The only thing that turns on is a Blue LED light in front of the case when pressing the power button but the fans inside the case do not spin. I made sure everything was connected and even started over and made sure the CPU was placed properly.

r3n4ud

I don't know if this is the right place but my PC is not booting up. The only thing that turns on is a Blue LED light in front of the case when pressing the power button but the fans inside the case do not spin. I made sure everything was connected and even started over and made sure the CPU was placed properly.
Is it a new build?

I use this guide when my newly built pc's won't boot. It's a little old, but still relevant.

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my 290x. What is a good replacement GPU? Or do you suggest I hold on to it for now

i would say a GTX 1070. an RX 480 might actually be a downgrade in sometimes compared to a 290X. a 1060 would be an upgrade but it might not be much of an upgrade as you're expecting and may not be worth the money.

an Nvidia card is pretty much your only option right now. if you want an AMD card then you'll need to wait a while yet.

290X vs RX 480: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1721?vs=1748
290X vs GTX 1060: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1721?vs=1771
290X vs GTX 1070: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1721?vs=1731
290X vs GTX 1080: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1721?vs=1714

Short of getting an entirely new case, is there any way I can get USB Type C ports on the front of my Fractal Design R5?

(I'm open to using an adapter, but only if I can make it look/feel clean)

LordAlu

Short of getting an entirely new case, is there any way I can get USB Type C ports on the front of my Fractal Design R5?

(I'm open to using an adapter, but only if I can make it look/feel clean)
You'd have to use something like one of these:
Your motherboard needs an available SATA Express connection though and your power supply needs two spare SATA power connectors.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK, please excuse my child like diagram.

I am a few days away from building my first PC - it'll be in this exact case, with a similar set up.

The only differences are reflected in the image: I will have 2 fans in the front of the case, and the CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D14.

My questions:

1) How do I make sure the fans and cooler are set right? Is this the air flow I need to be creating?

2) In what order do I put this stuff in? Does this sound right?

Build Order:

-install 2 new fans into front of case

-install CPU on motherboard
-install CPU cooler mounts on motherboard

-mount motherboard into case

-install RAM onto motherboard
-install CPU cooler onto motherboard

-install power supply into case

-install GPU into case

-install hard drives

-boot into mobo bios? update it & the video card bios? install windows? still need to research this bit

mXHYcDP.png

vector824

OK, please excuse my child like diagram.

I am a few days away from building my first PC - it'll be in this exact case, with a similar set up.

The only differences are reflected in the image: I will have 2 fans in the front of the case, and the CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D14.

My questions:

1) How do I make sure the fans and cooler are set right? Is this the air flow I need to be creating?

2) In what order do I put this stuff in? Does this sound right?

Build Order:

-install 2 new fans into front of case

-install CPU on motherboard
-install CPU cooler mounts on motherboard

-mount motherboard into case

-install RAM onto motherboard
-install CPU cooler onto motherboard

-install power supply into case

-install GPU into case

-install hard drives

-boot into mobo bios? update it & the video card bios? install windows? still need to research this bit

mXHYcDP.png

Yeah that order works. It's what I followed.

Fans should spin clockwise, blowing air in through the front and then out of the back of the case. Your diagram is set up correctly.

jon bones

Yeah that order works. It's what I followed.

Fans should spin clockwise, blowing air in through the front and then out of the back of the case. Your diagram is set up correctly.

fuckin dope, thank you. i am beyond hyped to build this rig.

any preferred guide for going through the bios update / OS install?

vector824

fuckin dope, thank you. i am beyond hyped to build this rig.

any preferred guide for going through the bios update / OS install?

Read the mobo manual for sure. USB drive for the OS (unless you have a CD). Then when it's all loaded and booted go to the mobo manufacturer's site and download the latest drivers. Are you loading Win10?

jon bones

Read the mobo manual for sure. USB drive for the OS (unless you have a CD). Then when it's all loaded and booted go to the mobo manufacturer's site and download the latest drivers. Are you loading Win10?

OK, will do.

I am loading Windows 10 (got the ISO from the website) from a USB drive. I have a key being physically mailed to me in a couple days.

vector824

OK, will do.

I am loading Windows 10 (got the ISO from the website) from a USB drive. I have a key being physically mailed to me in a couple days.

That's definitely the easiest route. Once you get windows installed go to security and update under the settings (control panel) and update windows. Then restart, repeat until no more updates are available. Good luck!

I'm not sure what I did wrong, my PC still not booting. The manual that came with the motherboard just shows the ports and a basic picture of the motherboard.

I realigned the CPU as it wasn't fitted properly at first.
Plug back the CPU fan
I made sure no Thermal Paste made only contact with the CPU
Took out and snapped the 2x4 DDR4 back in.
Took out the standoff that was stuck on the screw and fitted back into the case.
Plugged the 20+4 into the 24 Pin header
Plugged one of the 4+4 into the 4-pin ATx_12V
Plugged the Blue 3.0USB into F_USB30 and plugged in the smaller USB cable into F_USB
Plugged the HD Audio into F_Audio
Connected the Back and Front Fan into the cables from the PSU and plug it into Sys_FAN
Connected the 1TB HDD with the PSU and connected it with the motherboard with the SATA cable.
Connected Power LED + to PLED + and Power LED - to PLED-
Connected HDD LED + to HD LED+ and HDD LED to HDLED-
Power SW into PWR + - and Reset SW into RES - + and connected Speaker + - into Speaker - +.

And the only thing that turns on is the Light infront of the case when pressing the power button. I don't have a GPU yet but the I5 6500 suposdly has a Intel Graphics 530. The only that might be not working is the CPU. btw I'm using Evga 500w

Here's what it looks like
gHgQlzw.jpg

I'm not sure what I did wrong, my PC still not booting. The manual that came with the motherboard just shows the ports and a basic picture of the motherboard.

Plug back the CPU fan
Took out the standoff that was stuck on the screw and fitted back into the case.
Plugged the Blue 3.0USB into F_USB30 and plugged in the smaller USB cable into F_USB
Connected the Back and Front Fan into the cables from the PSU and plug it into Sys_FAN
Connected the 1TB HDD with the PSU and connected it with the motherboard with the SATA cable.
Power SW into PWR + - and Reset SW into RES - + and connected Speaker + - into Speaker - +.

And the only thing that turns on is the Light infront of the case when pressing the power button. I don't have a GPU yet but the I5 6500 suposdly has a Intel Graphics 530. The only that might be not working is the CPU. btw I'm using Evga 500w

Here's what it looks like
gHgQlzw.jpg

Hm... when you say it doesn't boot, you mean nothing displays on the screen but it runs, or you mean it immediately shuts off when you let go of the button?

Plug back the CPU fan

When you say the CPU was not fit properly before that makes me worried that you might have bent a pin. Make sure your ram and all the motherboard power connections are inserted all the way first. Try with one stick of ram. If nothing works take out the CPU and check for bent pins.

Hm... when you say it doesn't boot, you mean nothing displays on the screen but it runs, or you mean it immediately shuts off when you let go of the button?

Nothing is displayed on screen. Im using my 32inch Samsung lcd using HDMI until i get a monitor. Only a blue light in front of the case stays on when pressing the power button but the fans inside the case do not turn on and doesn't make any sound.

A pin on the cpu might be bent but i wont have until tomorrow morning to check to see if it's damaged.

Leeroy605

Hey guys, has anyone come across error 0xc00000e 'a required device isnt connected or can't be accessed' on Windows 10 before?

Was playing BF1 on my computer for about an hour last night, all fine.

Came home from work switch on my computer to this error message.

Can't use my keyboard and mouse in the error screen to select start up settings and the like either, just not recognising anything...

Any ideas?!

Nothing is displayed on screen. Im using my 32inch Samsung lcd using HDMI until i get a monitor. Only a blue light in front of the case stays on when pressing the power button but the fans inside the case do not turn on and doesn't make any sound.

A pin on the cpu might be bent but i wont have until tomorrow morning to check to see if it's damaged.

It sounds like, for whatever reason, power isn't being delivered to anything in a major capacity. Since the light does come on it seems like it'd be the motherboard or the CPU. As mentioned check the pins, but it could be either part just not working.

kennah

Do you work for Crucial and is this an advertisement? It sure sounds like one.
Nope. It's a sale that has been posted before In the thread. Once or twice a year they blow out their refurbished ssd stock. Usually lasts long enough to post about. I got the email three hours ago and by the time i got to a computer it was done.

I work in theatre

vector824

When you try turning it on do all the fans spin?

Question guys.

I just got the Phanteks Evolv ITX case and I need some help deciding how to get the best airflow going. This is the setup I've nearly decided on:

l1KFxFo.jpg

This build presents some challenges. Chiefly, the GPU does not exhaust out of the back of the case AND there's very little clearance between the bottom of the GPU and the basement that houses the PSU. The basement is perforated as you can see here:

But the PSU and Hard Drives bump up pretty close to the top of the basement as well. To mitigate this as much as possible I went with the shortest PSU I could find that wasn't SFX (as this case doesn't accommodate SFX and high wattage SFX PSU's seem to be iffy from a quality standpoint.)

In addition, both HDD slots are occupied which impedes airflow from the lower most front intake. Example:

Lastly, this is the front of the case:
oE8Tbbq.jpg

All air that comes into the case from the front has to come in through slits in the side of the front. No perforation as you can see.

So with all of these things in mind I chose the Noctua fans because they're high static pressure. I would think this will help due to the closed nature of the case and the obstructions therein (HDDs). I stuck with the same fan as an exhaust because they're PWM so I should be able to crank it down to achieve lower noise.

I guess my question is, what do you folks think? Is there anything I can improve here? Would it make a significant difference replacing the H100i V2 fans with Noctua fans?

Tanston

Just dipping my toe into picking parts for a new build. Most of my part choices seem like easy to make choices but i'm wondering about overclocking. Am I really shooting myself in the foot if I were to get a locked i7-6700 ? I'm not looking to make a super high end graphics powerhouse but i'd like to be able to comfortably play games on the thing with minimal upgrades for the next few years.

Leeroy605

Hey guys, has anyone come across error 0xc00000e 'a required device isnt connected or can't be accessed' on Windows 10 before?

Was playing BF1 on my computer for about an hour last night, all fine.

Came home from work switch on my computer to this error message.

Can't use my keyboard and mouse in the error screen to select start up settings and the like either, just not recognising anything...

Any ideas?!

Managed to get it to boot by taking out the sata cables and plugging them back in. Thought I'd try and fresh install of windows just in case, same error again once it tried to restart before reinstalling. HELP.

crpav

When you try turning it on do all the fans spin?

He said the fans do not spin.

I would start by taking the ram out and try booting without it. I am also pointing to checking the CPU and socket.

Also could maybe be the wires/headers not correct since pressing the power button doesn't seem to "fire" up anything.

vector824

Just dipping my toe into picking parts for a new build. Most of my part choices seem like easy to make choices but i'm wondering about overclocking. Am I really shooting myself in the foot if I were to get a locked i7-6700 ? I'm not looking to make a super high end graphics powerhouse but i'd like to be able to comfortably play games on the thing with minimal upgrades for the next few years.

Then you should go for the 6600k or non-k. Price v performance on a 6700 isn't really worth it unless you're utilizing hyperthreading i.e. 3D or video rendering etc...

Jezbollah

Question guys.

I just got the Phanteks Evolv ITX case and I need some help deciding how to get the best airflow going. This is the setup I've nearly decided on:

l1KFxFo.jpg

This build presents some challenges. Chiefly, the GPU does not exhaust out of the back of the case AND there's very little clearance between the bottom of the GPU and the basement that houses the PSU. The basement is perforated as you can see here:

But the PSU and Hard Drives bump up pretty close to the top of the basement as well. To mitigate this as much as possible I went with the shortest PSU I could find that wasn't SFX (as this case doesn't accommodate SFX and high wattage SFX PSU's seem to be iffy from a quality standpoint.)

In addition, both HDD slots are occupied which impedes airflow from the lower most front intake. Example:

Lastly, this is the front of the case:
oE8Tbbq.jpg

All air that comes into the case from the front has to come in through slits in the side of the front. No perforation as you can see.

So with all of these things in mind I chose the Noctua fans because they're high static pressure. I would think this will help due to the closed nature of the case and the obstructions therein (HDDs). I stuck with the same fan as an exhaust because they're PWM so I should be able to crank it down to achieve lower noise.

I guess my question is, what do you folks think? Is there anything I can improve here? Would it make a significant difference replacing the H100i V2 fans with Noctua fans?

I don't see any issues with that setup. However I would replace the stock Corsair fans with static pressure Noctuas (and maybe replace the stock exhaust fan). Another thing - are your air intakes behind filters? Personally I would be more concerned with dust ingestion.

I think your 1080 will be fine with that setup tbh. What you might want to do is set up your 140mm fans to be connected as fans 3 and 4 with your Corsair H100i and create a curve in Corsair with them linked to GPU temp.

The top should be used as an exhaust with the fans pushing. The noctua fans will help more with noise, those corsair's can get loud at high rpm.

He said the fans do not spin.

I would start by taking the ram out and try booting without it. I am also pointing to checking the CPU and socket.

Also could maybe be the wires/headers not correct since pressing the power button doesn't seem to "fire" up anything.

Yeah I missed that. That is alittle strange if none of the fans spin since he said he hooked one up directly to the psu. Anyway to try with a different psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom