• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakazato

Wife is giving 550 to start a new build. Decided to make a htpc. Want to know is there any reason to go i7 over i5 for gaming ?

Aka I'm tired of sitting at my desk and want that Big comfy couch. Also and good lapdesk ?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wife is giving 550 to start a new build. Decided to make a htpc. Want to know is there any reason to go i7 over i5 for gaming ?

Aka I'm tired of sitting at my desk and want that Big comfy couch

Not if you are only working with $550. Stick with an i5 and put as much money into the Gpu as you can.

ACE 1991

So I have 2 4GB sticks of ram... I assume if I want 16 I have to more or less take these out and get two sticks of 8 or 1 stick of 16, right?

EDIT: Actually, Could I just buy another set of 2X4 to fill the remaining slots? Shouldn't be much of a difference performance wise, right?

It sounds like, for whatever reason, power isn't being delivered to anything in a major capacity. Since the light does come on it seems like it'd be the motherboard or the CPU. As mentioned check the pins, but it could be either part just not working.

I'm checking it now and one of the corners of the CPU is bent and few of the motherboard pins are bent. I tried turning it on again and noticed the fan light turns on and off.

vector824

So I have 2 4GB sticks of ram... I assume if I want 16 I have to more or less take these out and get two sticks of 8 or 1 stick of 16, right?

EDIT: Actually, Could I just buy another set of 2X4 to fill the remaining slots? Shouldn't be much of a difference performance wise, right?

There's nothing wrong with just adding two more 4gb sticks. I use 8gb and don't have any issues running out of memory, why are you finding that you need 16gb?

Vipu

Banned
any would be fine although i am not planning to use the mic much if at all .

I would say check and go try somewhere what fits best for you from Sennheiser, AKG, etc some other good stuff.

My vote goes to Sennheiser, their headphones are comfiest I have ever used, can keep those on your head all day and not feel bad.

luoapp

I have a weird question, and I can't find anything on Google.

I'm in the process of planning and building a pc-in-desk project.
My question is how far does a 120mm fan actually blow, with essentially no resistance, and how far does a 120mm pull air from with no resistance? Assume we're talking high-quality fans, so they'll be about as powerful as 120mm can get.

I need to figure out if my air is going to be moving or if it'll end up creating doldrums.

This is my current thought, but I'm definitely open to any suggestions.

Each cutout will be two 120mm fans.

I'm open to suggestions on moving the cutouts, as well.

If the space is closed, air goes in = air goes out. So the air will be moving, and since the space is big enough, I don't think doldrums will be a problem, remember, temperature difference alone can create air flow as well. What's your estimation of heat? I don't think you need more fans than in a normal case, if anything, it should need fewer.

I_D

If the space is closed, air goes in = air goes out. So the air will be moving, and since the space is big enough, I don't think doldrums will be a problem, remember, temperature difference alone can create air flow as well. What's your estimation of heat? I don't think you need more fans than in a normal case, if anything, it should need fewer.

In a truly closed space, you're correct that "air in = air out."
The issue I'm worried about is that it's "air in + heat being created from components ≠ air out."

You've put me at ease, though. It's much larger than a standard case, so it should be fine. I think I'm just over-thinking it since I want it to be perfect.

Thanks for the help!

bomblord1

Banned
Is this Newegg Shellshocker deal for a $600 gtx1080 good?

14-125-908-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P1_14-125-908-_-10192016&Index=1

Are the more expensive better cooled/factory overclocked ones significantly better?

ZBR

So I was thinking of building the "good - very capable" build for my S/O. She won't be gaming on it or anything just running some daycare quickbooks software but I would like for it to last a long time. I'll be giving her my 1080p monitor. She'll need a lot of space for photos and documents. She's currently on a MacBook Pro but wants an actual PC for her desk with Windows.

Kard8p3

Alright guys, I need a recommendation, I'm looking to build a powerful (and my first) gaming PC. I already talked to Hazaro a bit about it, and he would recommend the $1000 build with a 6700K and a 1070 or RX480. I'd love to hear other suggestions as well, prince doesn't really matter too much with me, but diminishing returns and what not.

Thank you guys :)

BizzyBum

I just bought a Noctua NH-D15, does this come with thermal paste already applied or do I need to order that seperate?

Also I need to remove my old cooler. What's the best way to clean off the old thermal paste or should I not bother?

r3n4ud

I just bought a Noctua NH-D15, does this come with thermal paste already applied or do I need to order that seperate?

Also I need to remove my old cooler. What's the best way to clean off the old thermal paste or should I not bother?
Yep, make sure you clean the CPU well with rubbing alcohol. And the d15 does come with paste, so you're good to go.

Remove the paste. Coffee filter and isopropyl alcohol will do the trick.

bomblord1

Banned
Alright guys, I need a recommendation, I'm looking to build a powerful (and my first) gaming PC. I already talked to Hazaro a bit about it, and he would recommend the $1000 build with a 6700K and a 1070 or RX480. I'd love to hear other suggestions as well, prince doesn't really matter too much with me, but diminishing returns and what not.

Thank you guys :)

What is your preferred price range?

Also 1070-RX480 is a pretty big gap in cost and computing power.

derder

uhhh. You absolutely should remove old paste.

Rubbing alcohol (IPA 97%) and coffee filters work the best.

Kard8p3

What is your preferred price range?

Also 1070-RX480 is a pretty big gap in cost and computing power.

Up towards $1500, even a bit more if I have to. Though Haz said spending over $1200 has diminishing returns and the money is better invested in saving towards the next gen of GPUS. Thoughts?

bomblord1

Banned
Up towards $1500, even a bit more if I have to. Though Haz said spending over $1200 has diminishing returns and the money is better invested in saving towards the next gen of GPUS. Thoughts?

I don't know who "Haz" is but diminishing returns are a thing. However where money can be better invested is up to the individual and his/her budget. For $1500 you really don't need any compromises.

I mean there are ridiculous over the top things like getting a Quadro for $5k which actually has worse performance than a Titan but that's something different than getting a GPU which has a clear upgrade over a lesser model (ex rx480 to gtx 1080)

I'll see if I can come up with a list.

bomblord1

Banned

How about this? (includes Windows in the price)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.82 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card ($599.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.33 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1489.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-19 16:32 EDT-0400

A breakdown of the choices/commentary

Processor: i7-6700K is the best processor on the market for gaming. Some higher end processors with more cores actually get worse frame rates in some games despite being $1000+ more.

CPU Cooler: Water Cooler I use this in my personal rig and it's super quiet and has great temps I've never run into any issues with it and it should be good to go for overclocking.

Motherboard: Fairly standard Z170 nothing special but it's a Z170 and fairly cheap compared to a lot of others with most of the features

Memory: RAM doesn't make a lot of difference in speed but 16GB is kind of minimum anymore (although you can easily get by with 8 in most cases) I basically went with the cheapest 2 stick 16GB DDR4 available (cheap in price not performance)

Storage: If you don't like the dual hard drive approach (I personally prefer it) you could replace it with a single SSD with a lower storage capacity for the same price.

Video Card: The 1080 was also chosen as a matter of being the cheapest but you could get slightly better performance if you spend more (stuff like that is where diminishing returns really kick in as it's only slight overclocks of the same card)

Case: Great Case for the price I use it in my personal rig and it's amazing to work in (once you've used an easy to work in case you never want to go back). Several features you find only on much more expensive cases as well like thumb screws that stay attached to the case.

I'm checking it now and one of the corners of the CPU is bent and few of the motherboard pins are bent. I tried turning it on again and noticed the fan light turns on and off.
:/

That.. would certainly cause issues with booting. At least you found your problem. Perhaps try using a credit card to straighten the pins.

I used a syringe to fix a slightly bent pin two months ago. Just take it slow and don't use that much force (think brush strokes), or else the pin will snap off.

Kard8p3

I don't know who "Haz" is but diminishing returns are a thing. However where money can be better invested is up to the individual and his/her budget. For $1500 you really don't need any compromises.

I mean there are ridiculous over the top things like getting a Quadro for $5k which actually has worse performance than a Titan but that's something different than getting a GPU which has a clear upgrade over a lesser model (ex rx480 to gtx 1080)

I'll see if I can come up with a list.

Oh, Sorry, I mean Hazaro, the guy who made the thread. Ahh, I see; thank you!

If you don't like the dual hard drive approach (I personally prefer it) you could replace it with a single SSD with a lower storage capacity for the same price.

The 1080 was also chosen as a matter of being the cheapest but you could get slightly better performance if you spend more (stuff like that is where diminishing returns really kick in as it's only slight overclocks of the same card)

Does dual hard drive vs single SSD really matter that much? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff, sorry!

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it :)

bomblord1

Banned
Oh, Sorry, I mean Hazaro, the guy who made the thread. Ahh, I see; thank you!

Does dual hard drive vs single SSD really matter that much? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff, sorry!

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it :)

Well what it is is you buy a cheap Hard Drive with lots of storage for games etc (in this case 1tb HDD) and then get a smaller SSD for Windows. That way you get fast boot times and tons of storage without spending money on a massive SSD

Kard8p3

Well what it is is you buy a cheap Hard Drive with lots of storage for games etc (in this case 1tb HDD) and then get a smaller SSD for Windows. That way you get fast boot times and tons of storage without spending money on a massive SSD

That makes sense, thanks :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

A breakdown of the choices/commentary

Faster RAM for the same price. Faster memory can improve minimum framerates by a few percent in some cases. Occasionally maximum framerates, but less benefit and less often.

Could save $30 on the cooler to put somewhere that will be more impactful. A Cryorig H7 may (or may not) cool slightly worse, but if you aren't into extreme overclocking temps aren't going to be your limiting factor anyway. Probably also quieter.

That $30 could easily double the HDD space, go toward a higher quality PSU, go toward a motherboard with better rear I/O, etc.

Planning on picking up a PS4 pro next month to complement my PC but having an issue. I have an ASUS VG248QE monitor which my PC (DVI) is hooked to but would also like to have the PS4 hooked up to it (HDMI). Thing is currently I have external speakers hooked to the PC rather than using the monitors speakers because they well aren't that great lol. I'd also like the PS4 to utilize the speakers. Currently I just have amp hooked directly to my PC which works fine. I tried running an aux cable from the monitor to PC and then hooking the speakers to the headphone jack on the monitor but only the right speaker works and it's not very loud. Anyone know what's up?

So I have finished my HTPC build with a 5820k and R9 Nano.

I worry though as the cramped nature of my case in tandem with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 seem to only just be keeping my CPU at 90c when playing games (only really tried Battlefield 1). It could be I didn't do that good a job on the thermal paste but I think it should be okay, I really don't want to have to be doing that again.

Do you guys think I'll be alright or am I going to have to rethink things?

kuYuri

So I have finished my HTPC build with a 5820k and R9 Nano.

I worry though as the cramped nature of my case in tandem with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 seem to only just be keeping my CPU at 90c when playing games (only really tried Battlefield 1). It could be I didn't do that good a job on the thermal paste but I think it should be okay, I really don't want to have to be doing that again.

Do you guys think I'll be alright or am I going to have to rethink things?

That temp seems really high to me. Definitely double check your cooler is seated correctly and all that.

That temp seems really high to me. Definitely double check your cooler is seated correctly and all that.

It's really late now so tomorrow when I am back from work I'll test it more thoroughly.

If it's going to be that hot then I might have to ditch the air cooler and look to a closed water cooler.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
My Current build is

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8GB Ram
Radeon r7 200

If I had £150 to spend what would be more beneficial to upgrade for games? Im currently having an issue where Fifa is running super slow and I think its the cpu, but I cant be sure. I like the idea of a new cpu because my pc is running slow as is.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My Current build is

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8GB Ram
Radeon r7 200

If I had £150 to spend what would be more beneficial to upgrade for games? Im currently having an issue where Fifa is running super slow and I think its the cpu, but I cant be sure. I like the idea of a new cpu because my pc is running slow as is.

You will have to be more specific on the GPU, 200 is a series and not a card.

But it sounds like a software problem, your CPU is fine apart from the fact you haven't overclocked it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
You will have to be more specific on the GPU, 200 is a series and not a card.

But it sounds like a software problem, your CPU is fine apart from the fact you haven't overclocked it.

On system requirements lab it says AMD Radeon R7 200 Series, same with my device manager and windows specs, where would I go to find exact model?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
On system requirements lab it says AMD Radeon R7 200 Series, same with my device manager and windows specs, where would I go to find exact model?

GPUz would work, and it's portable so you don't have to install it.

But in all likelihood you just need to clean up the system. See what all runs in the background, make sure you don't have any malware or something hogging resources. There's no reason for a 4670K to run Windows slowly.

Mr Cola

GPUz would work, and it's portable so you don't have to install it.

But in all likelihood you just need to clean up the system. See what all runs in the background, make sure you don't have any malware or something hogging resources. There's no reason for a 4670K to run Windows slowly.

The CPU and Memory rarely is troubled while playing, sometimes the "Disk" section in task manager jumps to 99%.

There is a bunch of shit running but none of it is a program, I have ccleaner and turned everything off when I start up but still a bunch of stuff runs, perhaps I should just do a clean reboot.

The last windows 10 update hasnt helped anything either, its definitely made things worse.

ElyrionX

Is this a good time to be building a PC for VR? Does CPU matter much for VR or is it all GPU? I presume the 1070 would be the sweet spot GPU for VR at this point?

Bloodember

The CPU and Memory rarely is troubled while playing, sometimes the "Disk" section in task manager jumps to 99%.

There is a bunch of shit running but none of it is a program, I have ccleaner and turned everything off when I start up but still a bunch of stuff runs, perhaps I should just do a clean reboot.

The last windows 10 update hasnt helped anything either, its definitely made things worse.

Is the OS on a SSD or a mechanical drive (HDD)?

Take a picture of your PC's interior and post it here.

I know where the issues of air flow would be coming from.

This is a poor picture I took last night so excuse my legs.

I mean it's pretty obvious what you could say needs to be improved but it can't because of the form factor of the case.

Running a Prime95 test gets me to around 85c on average. I presume with the inclusion of the GPU pumping heat into the case it could easily get hotter.

One of the cores was hotter by between 2-4 Celsius consistently but I think that is within acceptable levels.

I'll have to fiddle around when I get back from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom