• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What does it mean if it's not officially rated?

Different power cables and connectors are rated for different amounts of power. 8 pin PCIe is 150W, 6 pin is 75W.

4 pin molex is 12V and a max of 11A, so 132W. A quality PSU should be able to provide up to 150W over two molex connectors. Would be a good idea to check the PSU rails and see what it supports.

Edit: Your PSU should be fine for this, especially with just a 1070. 2x 8 pin is overkill for that card. Unless you are planning to do some heavy overclocking that card probably won't even draw more than the 225W from a single 8 pin + PCIe slot.

JJBro One

can anyone recommend a mouse for really big hands? I had a Logitech G500 that did pretty well but kicked the bucket yesterday. Trying to stay under $50 preferably one that cost around $40 at most.

So my Razer Deathadder Chroma left click is going bad after about 2 years, it double clicks randomly and I tried to clean the switch but it didn't help much.

I managed to snag StealSeries' new Rival 500 for $50 (it should be here by the end of the week). I'm excited for the extra buttons, especially because they went unconventional and removed the "grid" that most have. I'm hoping this makes remembering button assignments easier. I've never had an MMO mouse before, but I find myself fumbling a lot in FFXIV with so much assigned to the keyboard in various ways and this should help.

demented

My motherboard supports 1600 ddr3 and up to 2800 overclocked. I have 1600 8gb and can buy another 8gb of same kind. Is there any benefit in paying few times more to get 2400 ram versus 1600? Would save me a lot of money if improvement is negligible. DD3 btw

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My motherboard supports 1600 ddr3 and up to 2800 overclocked. I have 1600 8gb and can buy another 8gb of same kind. Is there any benefit in paying few times more to get 2400 ram versus 1600? Would save me a lot of money if improvement is negligible.

Memory speed doesn't make that much of a difference. In the best case scenario you can get a few percent better minimum framerates in games.

IMO, just go with the 1600.

My motherboard supports 1600 ddr3 and up to 2800 overclocked. I have 1600 8gb and can buy another 8gb of same kind. Is there any benefit in paying few times more to get 2400 ram versus 1600? Would save me a lot of money if improvement is negligible. DD3 btw

This depends on your cpu speed. Overclocked Sandy and Ivy actually scale pretty well with memory speed increases. Digital Foundry did some videos on this a few months back.

demented

This depends on your cpu speed. Overclocked Sandy and Ivy actually scale pretty well with memory speed increases. Digital Foundry did some videos on this a few months back.

I have i5 3570k but haven't overclocked it it's just doing its turbo mode up to 3.8 but open to overclocking it.
I mean if it's noticable upgrade I'll fork out the money, but this is meant to be sorta temporary upgrade for next few years so would rather not invest too much.

Also I'm gonna buy nvidia 1070 because my 7970 got fucked up (fan wouldn't work under 85%, repair shops wouldn't fix it, I connected it's fan to molex cable by stripping wires and nothing happened so fuck it) anyhow my point is is there any difference between all these 1070s because the price varies up to 150 eur between them? Should I avoid some (coil whine with gigabyte and evga, right?), are they all pretty much same thing just different brand any maybe you get a game or something?

City 17

One of my friends has to choose between (i3 6100 & 950) and (i5 6400 & 750Ti) combos. Which one would be better for gaming in the long run? (Consider that he's not into upgrades and he'll most def. have this system for 5 yrs or so )

One of my friends has to choose between (i3 6100 & 750Ti) and (i5 6400 & 950) combos. Which one would be better for gaming in the long run? (Consider that he's not into upgrades and he'll most def. have this system for 5 yrs or so )

the answer is clear i5-6400 and 950. the 950 is a much better card than the 750ti. and the i5's got 2 more cores to work with. in that scenario its the better of the two.

Jimrpg

Thanks for the builds! Regarding Windows 10, I already have it on my laptop, so I should be able to put it on a USB and install it that way for free, right? That could free up some money for other things in the build.

You need a new Windows 10 CD key. It's one for each computer.

I don't think you can just put Windows 10 from your laptop on a USB.

Cheap Windows 10 keys from Reddit are here - https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

But do it at your own risk. Read the rules and look for the download links to the Windows Installation files in the right hand column.

Jimrpg

One of my friends has to choose between (i3 6100 & 750Ti) and (i5 6400 & 950) combos. Which one would be better for gaming in the long run? (Consider that he's not into upgrades and he'll most def. have this system for 5 yrs or so )

1050 is coming out, might even be available now depending on where he lives if he can get that instead of the 950.

LilJoka

What does it mean if it's not officially rated?

For example, it could melt. Nobody has officially tested or certified it. So performance after 132W depends on how much money the manufacturer spent on the molex, some spent more and it'll be higher quality in general.

AAMARMO

Banned
Ordering my CPU today im so happy. Been using mac mini for the past month due to faulty cpu and motherboard. However my small tv HDMI slot broke so i need to get a new monitor now :(.

oLOJayw.png

Hi guys,

I am getting weird artifacts as of today at some start of videos and gifs.

Is the GPU dying ? It is quite new, bought it in February or March I think. It is only at the beginning and then get's back to normal, it has these black artifacts (like the video is broken) for one or two seconds.

Hi guys,

I am getting weird artifacts as of today at some start of videos and gifs.

Is the GPU dying ? It is quite new, bought it in February or March I think. It is only at the beginning and then get's back to normal, it has these black artifacts (like the video is broken) for one or two seconds.

Did you just update Nvidia driver 375.xx? And using Chrome? If yes to both, then it's a driver bug, no need to worry. You can temporarily work around this by turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome settings.

Did you just update Nvidia driver 375.xx? And using Chrome? If yes to both, then it's a driver bug, no need to worry. You can temporarily work around this by turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome settings.

Oh thanks, yes, using both. Thank god, was worried for a second. And yes, turning that off, worked.

Linus' (or rather, Luke's) 1050TI Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKxUh9XjUPI

Would have been nice to add a 960 to the comparison. Looking forward to all the reviews today.

Ordering my CPU today im so happy. Been using mac mini for the past month due to faulty cpu and motherboard. However my small tv HDMI slot broke so i need to get a new monitor now :(.

oLOJayw.png

Any reason why you are going for a new 980? Look for a 1070 instead my friend. Also you can save money by getting an air cooler, since that h60 isn't that great of an aio. Look for a thermalright, or be quiet! cooler. Then use the savings to get 2800-3000 MHz ram.

AAMARMO

Banned
Any reason why you are going for a new 980? Look for a 1070 instead my friend. Also you can save money by getting an air cooler, since that h60 isn't that great of an aio. Look for a thermalright, or be quiet! cooler. Then use the savings to get 2800-3000 MHz ram.
980 is from my previous build and I have brought all the stuff already :3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Long shot in a gaming PC thread, but does anyone have any experience with ultra SFF PCs - NUCs etc? Lenovo have some called the thinkcentre m700 tiny which are pretty cheap - £250 with a celeron g3900, 4gb ram, win 10 etc. £380 for an i3-6100t, or £420 for an i5/6500t.

Thinking about it as a plex server and/or media player/steam home streaming receiver. Currently using my gaming PC which wastes too much electricity to leave on as a server.

Jezbollah

Long shot in a gaming PC thread, but does anyone have any experience with ultra SFF PCs - NUCs etc? Lenovo have some called the thinkcentre m700 tiny which are pretty cheap - £250 with a celeron g3900, 4gb ram, win 10 etc. £380 for an i3-6100t, or £420 for an i5/6500t.

Thinking about it as a plex server and/or media player/steam home streaming receiver. Currently using my gaming PC which wastes too much electricity to leave on as a server.

Not a long shot at all. I have, I guess, what classifies as a NUC - I have an I5 Haswell Gigabyte Brix. I think it was around £300 but without a mSata storage device and RAM. I use it for Plex too, and for Steam streaming. Does the job very, very well. The only reason I might get rid of it was to upgrade to a Brix that can handle 4k.

I have mine on permanent sleep, that wakes up on pressing my Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad. I dont think you'll have problems with 1080p Plex streaming with an i3, but personally £420 for an i5 is something I could easily justify considering it's an extra £40.

LordAlu

Not a long shot at all. I have, I guess, what classifies as a NUC - I have an I5 Haswell Gigabyte Brix. I think it was around £300 but without a mSata storage device and RAM. I use it for Plex too, and for Steam streaming. Does the job very, very well. The only reason I might get rid of it was to upgrade to a Brix that can handle 4k.

I have mine on permanent sleep, that wakes up on pressing my Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad. I dont think you'll have problems with 1080p Plex streaming with an i3, but personally £420 for an i5 is something I could easily justify considering it's an extra £40.
Just for information's sake, as the NUCs/Brix use "U" parts, they're not true i5s. It's the same as the i3 but with a slightly higher base clock and the ability to turbo, e.g. the Core i3-7100U is 2 cores / 4 threads with a speed of 2.4GHz and the Core i5-7200U is 2 cores / 4 threads with a speed of 2.5GHz and turbo of 3.1GHz. Even the Core i7-7500U is the same (2/4, 2.7GHz, 3.5GHz) but with an extra 1MB cache. When it comes to Plex, it might make very little difference as you're not getting any extra cores/threads, just clock speed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just for information's sake, as the NUCs/Brix use "U" parts, they're not true i5s. It's the same as the i3 but with a slightly higher base clock and the ability to turbo, e.g. the Core i3-7100U is 2 cores / 4 threads with a speed of 2.4GHz and the Core i5-7200U is 2 cores / 4 threads with a speed of 2.5GHz and turbo of 3.1GHz. Even the Core i7-7500U is the same (2/4, 2.7GHz, 3.5GHz) but with an extra 1MB cache. When it comes to Plex, it might make very little difference as you're not getting any extra cores/threads, just clock speed.

I think the i5-6500t which the thinkcentre uses is four cores though? Least that's what the spec on Lenovo says. Although seems the pass ark is only 1000 different (about 4700 for the i3 vs 5700 for the i5 - both more than enough for a couple of simultaneous HD stream transcodes)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hey, random question for something I may need to do in the future.

Is there an external m.2 NVMe drive to USB adapter?
Basically the use would be to clone the existing NVMe inside the laptop to new one.

I see there are m.2 SATA adapters like this, but can't seem to find one that works for the newer NVMe types.

LordAlu

I think the i5-6500t which the thinkcentre uses is four cores though? Least that's what the spec on Lenovo says. Although seems the pass ark is only 1000 different (about 4700 for the i3 vs 5700 for the i5 - both more than enough for a couple of simultaneous HD stream transcodes)
The T based ones are basically low-power desktop chips, so the i5 version of that would actually be worth it. Apologies - I didn't make it clear I was referring to the NUC/Brix (which only have the U based processors).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The T based ones are basically low-power desktop chips, so the i5 version of that would actually be worth it. Apologies - I didn't make it clear I was referring to the NUC/Brix (which only have the U based processors).

Hmm. Customising the celeron (£259) is only £56 to upgrade to an i3-6100t, so £313 for i3 :) even upgrading to 120GB SSD and 8GB ram only takes it to £346

How is windows 10 with 4gb Ram? If I'm only using it for steam streaming or plex server and pairing with an SSD, will 4gb be fine?

Jezbollah

Hmm. Customising the celeron (£259) is only £56 to upgrade to an i3-6100t, so £313 for i3 :) even upgrading to 128GB SSD and 8GB ram only takes it to £371.

How is windows 10 with 4gb Ram? If I'm only using it for steam streaming or plex server and pairing with an SSD, will 4gb be fine?

So I'm just looking at my Brix (it has 8gb) and at the moment, it's taking up 2gb running idle with Plex Media Server, Sabnzdb and Sickbeard as it's main services - plus Windows Defender. That goes up to 2.7gb when playing a 1080p mkv from my NAS box.

I think you'll be fine with 4gb.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I'm just looking at my Brix (it has 8gb) and at the moment, it's taking up 2gb running idle with Plex Media Server, Sabnzdb and Sickbeard as it's main services - plus Windows Defender. That goes up to 2.7gb when playing a 1080p mkv from my NAS box.

I think you'll be fine with 4gb.

Fantastic, thanks. £318.79 for i3-6100t, 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, win 10 home, keyboard and mouse (wired), vertical stand and internal DP-HDMI adapter so I have both DP and HDMI. Could save another £10 dropping the wifi but will probably keep that just in case, even though it'll almost certainly be permanently wired. Free shipping too..

Not too shabby I think?

Jezbollah

Fantastic, thanks. £318.79 for i3-6100t, 4GB ram, 120GB SSD, win 10 home, keyboard and mouse (wired), vertical stand and internal DP-HDMI adapter so I have both DP and HDMI. Could save another £10 dropping the wifi but will probably keep that just in case, even though it'll almost certainly be permanently wired. Free shipping too..

Not too shabby I think?

I think that's a nice Plex box you'll have there :)

Echoes

Running into a problem here that I can't identify. I was browsing around normally, when all of a sudden the CPU fan shot up to 100% speed (from what I can hear) and the CPU temp was 90° (I'm not OCing). I opened the ASUS AI Suite app to check what speed the fan was at, and it showed N/A.

I restarted the PC and now I'm getting this:

I haven't changed anything for a few weeks. But I opened the case again and re-plugged the CPU fan cable and the USB 2.0 cable, still nothing.

Any tips? I'm in the midst of crucial work now. :/

Quoting my issues to say that I fixed it. The cooler (either the bump or something else) was dead/broken. The shop replaced the cooler for me right away.

LilJoka

Whatever you decide, make sure the CPU has hardware decoding of h.265 (HEVC).
You can either build out of a NUC or a thin mini ITX form factor.
And as discussed be careful of the CPU model ending in U/M/T/S.

http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Hey PC GAF, I have a couple of questions and I hope you'll be able to help me.

I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card, since I'm still using GTX 560 Ti, and I'm now eyeing GTX 1060. As for the rest of my PC, it includes:

- AMD FX-8370E CPU @ 3.30GHz
- 8GB RAM (not sure about the exact model, but I think it's some cheapish Kingston module of 4GB x2)
- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard
- Seasonic S12 II Bronze 620W power supply
- 500GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
- 64bit Windows 10
- 900p LCD monitor (I also sometimes play PC games on my 1080p TV)

My potential new GPU options are GTX 1060 models with 3GB and 6GB of VRAM:

- I could get 3GB card for around 250 euros (available options: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce / OC Edition, MSI GTX 1060 Armor / OC Edition, Zotac GTX 1060);
- or I could get 6GB card for 300 euros (available options: Asus GTX 1060 Turbo, Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce / OC Edition, MSI GTX 1060 OC Edition)

Should I go for 6GB model just to make my PC (somewhat) future-proof? Or should I be fine with the cheaper 3GB card? I doubt I'll upgrade my monitor, or my TV to some 1440p/G-sync/4K models any time soon. As for the price, 50 euro difference isn't too big of a factor, but I'd rather not spend that money if I won't feel the difference during the gameplay.

Games-wise, I'd like to play titles like Forza Horizon 3, Battlefield 1, Dishonored 2, Gears of War 4, and maybe even RDR2, if it gets a late PC port somewhere down the line, in 2018. And yeah, I'd like to play them - at least those that are out today, or are coming out in the near future - with max-level details (but without some crazy levels of AA). I also have no problems with locking framerate to 30fps, if the games themselves are somewhat buggy, stuttery or unoptimized (like Forza Horizon 3, if it still isn't patched).

So, 3GB model or 6GB one? And which one of those listed above are the best? Any of them have some problems I should watch out for? Will my power supply be enough for the new card? Any special/concrete recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Edit: and I'm not into overclocking, forgot to mention that. Kinda scared of it, and I wouldn't want to breach the warranty I get with the card (forget my lack of knowledge on the matter; I could be wrong big time regarding this... probably am). I'd just like to stick my new card in the PC and reap the benefits after years of playing with GTX 560 Ti.

M.D

Anyone here experienced with that shitty Killer Network Manager driver? I have a friend who has a MSI Nightblade X2B that comes with that thing

Her Blizzard Launcher and Teamspeak always freeze after a while, but not the actual games. In the settings where it detirmens the Up/Down speed it was set to 0 and said offline and she couldn't edit it but it was fixed after installing the latest driver, but it didn't actually fix the problem.

There's a ton of problems with this driver and I found one solution which didn't help her, and there's this video which explains how to install only the driver without the actual program to control the bandwidth but its for Windows 7 and a bit more complicated, plus I can't find the driver only like he founds it on his video

bodine1231

I just bought a Samsung 49" KS8000 to use as my pc monitor/console bedroom TV. Right now I have the Klipcsh Pro Media 2.1 speakers. Would it be worth upgrading them? I already have a dedicated home theater room (125" projector,5.1 receiver,etc) but I do watch alot of TV/Movies in the bedrrom and will be doing all my gaming (pc and console) there.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
Hey guys!
Hope someone can helpmeet out here. A friend of mine is looking for the cheapest way to play Neo Geo emulators. He's not really into computers at all and I don't know the first thing about emulators at all. He said he doesn't want to do anything else with it. Just some nostalgic neogeo gaming.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

luoapp

Hey guys!
Hope someone can helpmeet out here. A friend of mine is looking for the cheapest way to play Neo Geo emulators. He's not really into computers at all and I don't know the first thing about emulators at all. He said he doesn't want to do anything else with it. Just some nostalgic neogeo gaming.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Any computing device that is not locked down. I mean, PSP, WII, DS...

Dio

Banned

The last thing that needs to arrive tomorrow is the CPU and I can start putting things in this S340 Elite. I'm really looking forward to it, kind of sucks that I didn't see the awesome eBay deal for 6600K cpus earlier.

I've been stuck on a Macbook for far too long. Haven't built a tower since 2011.

BizzyBum

I'm going to ask a dumb question but I need some help removing my current CPU cooler radiator.

I didn't build this PC, it came from CyberPowerPC. It has some stock CPU cooler that's pretty crap so I bought a new one but when I opened the case the radiator was on the front of the case and not the back (big image)

So I see the 4 tiny holes on each corner but I can't unscrew anything. They are incredibly tiny. It's like the thing is backwards. I don't even think I can remove the front of the case to take a look.

Am I just dumb or did they screw it up? I feel like I need to unscrew from the other side but I can't access that area.

luoapp

I'm going to ask a dumb question but I need some help removing my current CPU cooler radiator.

I didn't build this PC, it came from CyberPowerPC. It has some stock CPU cooler that's pretty crap so I bought a new one but when I opened the case the radiator was on the front of the case and not the back (big image)

So I see the 4 tiny holes on each corner but I can't unscrew anything. They are incredibly tiny. It's like the thing is backwards. I don't even think I can remove the front of the case to take a look.

Am I just dumb or did they screw it up? I feel like I need to unscrew from the other side but I can't access that area.

Can you remove the front panel of the case?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The front panel probably comes off somehow. Might use clips or screws somewhere.

You say "some stock cooler" but it's a 120mm AIO? Is it some really high end AMD CPU, because I'm not aware of anything else that uses AIO coolers as stock, and those things are so power hungry I doubt anything will get "good" temps with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom