• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this is going to be a dumb question but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to upgrading my computer.

So i currently have an Asus p6p67 pro motherboard with a i5-2600k cpu.

I was thinking of upgrading the cpu, and was thinking about purchasing the i7-6700k. Will that work with my mobo?

and if it did, all I would need to do is set it up and re-set the heatsink?

like, I won't have to purchase a new windows key?

thanks in advance

can anyone recommend me a monitor to use with a Mac mini?

I don't plan to do any gaming but I would like something pretty nice hopefully under $200

dell's ultrasharp range has always been a strong balance between price and image quality for macs. i've used two U2412Ms for about five years, they're great 24-inch 1920 x 1200 (16:10, which i would definitely recommend on a mac/non-gaming PC) IPS panels and they work well as USB docks too.

i think the U2415 is the direct follow-up — same panel but adds HDMI and USB 3.0. it's $239 on amazon, the older U2412M is $212.

desmax

Ok this is going to be a dumb question but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to upgrading my computer.

So i currently have an Asus p6p67 pro motherboard with a i5-2600k cpu.

I was thinking of upgrading the cpu, and was thinking about purchasing the i7-6700k. Will that work with my mobo?

and if it did, all I would need to do is set it up and re-set the heatsink?

like, I won't have to purchase a new windows key?

thanks in advance

Nope, you'll need a mobo with a LGA 1151 cpu socket for the 6700k
2600k is LGA 1155

Thorgal

Say i was looking for a new CPU to replace my old one :

Would taking an i5 6600k be an upgrade or a downgrade of my i7- 3770 From a pure gaming Perspective ?

If it is the former , is the upgrade worth the price ?

chrislowe

Would taking an i5 6600k be an upgrade or a downgrade of my i7- 3770 From a pure gaming Perspective ?

I think its a downgrade.
Edit : in many cases you dont gain anything to spend like $300+ for cpu + mobo + memory so it seems like waste of money right now

LordAlu

The i5-6600K would be a very slight upgrade for gaming. I don't think it would be worth the price, especially as you'd have to buy a new motherboard and RAM.

What are the specs of the rest of your system? You might be better with a new graphics card, or if you haven't got an SSD then one of those.

dell's ultrasharp range has always been a strong balance between price and image quality for macs. i've used two U2412Ms for about five years, they're great 24-inch 1920 x 1200 (16:10, which i would definitely recommend on a mac/non-gaming PC) IPS panels and they work well as USB docks too.

i think the U2415 is the direct follow-up — same panel but adds HDMI and USB 3.0. it's $239 on amazon, the older U2412M is $212.

Perfect thanks !

Popstar

What? It's 15*9*15. Thats nowhere close to any mid tower I've had. It can fit a 240 radiator and full sized gpu as well with some breathing room. Just pointing it out, seems like a good deal.
15.35" x 9.85" x 15.75" = 390mm x 250mm x 400m = 39L

Fractal Design Define C = 399mm x 210mm x 440mm = 36.9L

Not saying $10 for a case isn't a great deal.

LilJoka

If you have a Z series board you can overclock that 3770. The 3770 is an awesome CPU.

Ok my parts have finally started coming in and the rest should be here by the end of today so i may pop in and out asking questions.

But first question right now.

Is it better to put the cpu cooler onto the cpu before or after the motherboard is in the case?

LordAlu

Ok my parts have finally started coming in and the rest should be here by the end of today so i may pop in and out asking questions.

But first question right now.

Is it better to put the cpu cooler onto the cpu before or after the motherboard is in the case?
It it's a air cooler, before. If it's a all-in-one water cooler, after (although if you have to install a backplate you'd do that before anyway).

Thorgal

I think its a downgrade.
Edit : in many cases you dont gain anything to spend like $300+ for cpu + mobo + memory so it seems like waste of money right now

The i5-6600K would be a very slight upgrade for gaming. I don't think it would be worth the price, especially as you'd have to buy a new motherboard and RAM.

What are the specs of the rest of your system? You might be better with a new graphics card, or if you haven't got an SSD then one of those.

so basically not worth it in terms of performance gains vs Price and other parts . thanks guys

Ps i already have a MSI 980 ti GPU and a 500 GB SSD so i am good on those fronts :p

If you have a Z series board you can overclock that 3770. The 3770 is an awesome CPU.

Wait i thought you could not OC a non K version of CPU ?

Hey gaf. What do you think about the NZXT H440? Does it have overheating issues, is there a problem with mounting the Corsair H115i watercooler?

LilJoka

so basically not worth it in terms of performance gains vs Price and other parts . thanks guys

Ps i already have a MSI 980 ti GPU and a 500 GB SSD so i am good on those fronts :p

Wait i thought you could not OC a non K version of CPU ?

You can, my 3770 ran at 4.3ghz.
On a Z series board you can force it to Turbo all 4 cores to the highest Turbo multi, then apply a bclk OC to get a good OC. I think mine ran 41x105mhz. I could get it to 4.5Ghz too.
Same story on Sandy Bridge+Skylake.

Haswell was the most limited iirc - never owned a haswell system.

Thorgal

You can, my 3770 ran at 4.3ghz.
On a Z series board you can force it to Turbo all 4 cores to the highest Turbo multi, then apply a bclk OC to get a good OC. I think mine ran 41x105mhz. I could get it to 4.5Ghz too.
Same story on Sandy Bridge+Skylake.

Haswell was the most limited iirc - never owned a haswell system.

I got a Asus P8 Z 77-V LX2 motherboard . will that work ?

LilJoka

I got a Asus P8 Z 77-V LX2 motherboard . will that work ?

Yes perfect. You might also want an aftermarket cooler if the temperatures are getting high, plus itll be quieter.

The 3770 should do 4.1Ghz very easily, without really tweaking anything but setting the CPU Multiplier to 41 in the BIOS (AI Tweaker section). Have a go doing that first.

You can use Prime95 to stress test.
Monitor the CPU temps with RealTemp. Don't go over 75c on average.
Monitor the CPU Core Voltage (CPU Vcore) and speeds with CPUz. Shouldn't need more than 1.2-1.25v.

If the PC crashes you need more vcore, but I found I could run the CPU overclocked at lower than stock Vcore. My stock Vcore was 1.2v, I ran 4.3Ghz at 1.11v.

gl0w

Hey all, some advise please.

I have a
i3-4160 3.6ghz
GTX 750ti
12gb ram

And I was thinking about getting a GTX 1070, will the other specs be a bottleneck? What I should upgrade more?

I want to play at 1080/60.

Thanks in advance

i'd say the difference would be minimal and not worth the investment.

Hey all, some advise please.

I have a
i3-4160 3.6ghz
GTX 750ti
12gb ram

And I was thinking about getting a GTX 1070, will the other specs be a bottleneck? What I should upgrade more?

I want to play at 1080/60.

Thanks in advance

The i3 would be, I think. Maybe get a 1060, put some of the saved money towards buying a new CPU and Mobo?

sn00zer

There are sub $200 monitors that use Freesync. Only the G-Sync monitors tend to be really expensive for some reason. Also, it is a TN panel instead of IPS and Newegg's pricing is inflated to make it look like a better deal since Amazon lists MSRP as $450 not $600.

Any advice on a different monitor then? Not interested in 4K, 1440p is plenty for me.

Are these new NVMe SSDs worth it to gamers? I don't do photoshop or video editing or anything fancy.

I'm eyeing these deals on the Samsung 850 Evo and really tempted but don't necessarily need it...

chrislowe

I got a black friday deal. I could return my i3 6100 and replace it with a i5 6500 for $20 between. Got the last one. :)
Probably wont notice that big difference but anyway.

And i was gonna replace my rx480 for gtx1060 a couple weeks ago but ive changed my mind. The rx480 is working good for me.

Is that the PCI-E 850? Those are about as fast as the SATA one IIRC. Unless you're simply out of SATA slots on your motherboard, what you want is the 960. http://techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed

Yeah but also the unreleased 960. Edit:whoops just reread your last part, ignore this.

I have an old ass mobo from early 2011 when the 2500k came out. So would certainly need to upgrade that for these new SSDs.

ISee

I got a black friday deal. I could return my i3 6100 and replace it with a i5 6500 for $20 between. Got the last one. :)
Probably wont notice that big difference but anyway.

And i was gonna replace my rx480 for gtx1060 a couple weeks ago but ive changed my mind. The rx480 is working good for me.

Oh you will notice the difference.

T-Rex.

Banned
I have a Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB card which has been working great, but when I turned my PC on today I got an error message saying "default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure". Anyone know what that means, I.E. is the card fucked? I haven't touched any of the settings or anything and have left the card as it was out the box.

I see some nVidia 1080 pairings with x99 motherboards. I have an i7-3930k that is quite old by now. It's running in an Asus Rampage IV Formula. Would I still be relevant/powerful enough to run a 1080? I'd be coming from a 660Ti.

I've been mulling moving my PC into my living room, to take advantage of my Vizio P65 4k UHDTV. Are there any viable entertainment center cases that could accommodate all of the above? As well as a CPU cooler like the Corsair Hydro series (and similar)?

The OP's Corsair Air 540 case looks like it'd fit well, but any other suggestions?

LilJoka

I see some nVidia 1080 pairings with x99 motherboards. I have an i7-3930k that is quite old by now. It's running in an Asus Rampage IV Formula. Would I still be relevant/powerful enough to run a 1080? I'd be coming from a 660Ti.

I've been mulling moving my PC into my living room, to take advantage of my Vizio P65 4k UHDTV. Are there any viable entertainment center cases that could accommodate all of the above? As well as a CPU cooler like the Corsair Hydro series (and similar)?

The OP's Corsair Air 540 case looks like it'd fit well, but any other suggestions?

3930k is enough, some overclocking will allow it to surpass the 6700k.
Any full ATX sized motherboard will demand a large case, something like a Fractal Design 605 could work though.

Alright I realize now I have zero idea how to buy a monitor. Any advice? 4K seems insanely excessive for a ~25" monitor, but then it seems they jump down to 1080p instead of 1440p.

EDIT: Also it looks like 60Hz v. 75Hz v. 144Hz is a thing I need to look at as well. Thi one seemed to be a good md range, but again, no idea http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236721&ignorebbr=1

I think that monitor you linked would be a good fit for the PC you bought. An i7-6700 paired with a GTX 1080 should easily be able to hit 75fps consistently at 1440p.

sn00zer

I think that monitor you linked would be a good fit for the PC you bought. An i7-6700 paired with a GTX 1080 should easily be able to hit 75fps consistently at 1440p.
Since it can hit 75Hz consistently the adaptive freesync other monitors have would be "useless" since that generally makes more sense for higher refresh rates/fps and resolution correct?

EDIT: Also thanks for answering in regards to the PC I bought recently.

DBL EDIT: What is the difference between IPS and TN and why is one an extra $100?

Vuze

Just swapped my 1080 FTW with a STRIX and GPU-Z / 3D Mark still show EVGA as card vendor? It's a factory new, sealed card with the STRIX PCB so that's out of question but it's still weird. I always assumed that info would be read from the BIOS.

I imagine that one of you guys may be able to help me with a minor SSD issue. I just installed a Samsung SSD (850 Evo) to accompany the Toshiba mechanical drive that was already in my PC.

I used the Samsung software to first clone my hard drive using a USB to SATA connector, then installed the SSD in one of the open bays on my computer. When I installed it, I switched the mechanical drive from SATA port 0 on the motherboard to SATA port 3, and used a new SATA 3 cable to connect the SSD to the port 0 (thinking this would increase the likelihood that the PC would recognize the SATA drive as boot drive.

Now, here's where it gets wonky. When I powered on everything booted up fine, but here's where it gets wonky:

I have three drives
1. Windows C (it has a little windows symbol over the drive)
2. DVD RW Drive D (this is being called the Samsung SSD when I looked at "Devices and drives"
3. Windows E (I think this is my old mechanical drive)

When I deleted a couple of games in Steam, it freed up storage space on Windows C, and in Samsung Magician, which is referring to the C drive as my SSD, space was freed up here as well. In Magician, space was NOT freed up on the E drive, which I suspect is the mechanical one.

Three questions:
1. How could this happen? I'm positive that I moved the SATA cable from the mechanical drive to port 3, and plugged the SSD into the port 0 that it came out of.
2. How can I check with absolute certainty that the C drive is actually the SSD?
3. If I can be certain, can I just rename the drives in Windows so that it is no longer referring to the DVD drive as the SSD?

I hope that makes sense. It's a hot mess.

vector824

I have a Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB card which has been working great, but when I turned my PC on today I got an error message saying "default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure". Anyone know what that means, I.E. is the card fucked? I haven't touched any of the settings or anything and have left the card as it was out the box.

Just means that if you changed any Wattman settings is that it's gone back to the original profile. No big deal, just a software thing, card is probably fine.

Joco

Monitor shopping is incredibly frustrating.

Can't decide between 1440p or 144hz at the moment. Can't afford to drop six hundred on one with both.

Joco

This is me right now. Also trying to figure this whole IPS v. TN thing out on top of it.

From what I understand IPS generally provides better colors (like the biggest complaint I see against TN monitors is washed out colors). TN seems to be able to hold higher framerates (all the 144hz monitors I've looked at seem to be TN).

IPS seems like it has more potential to "wow" but also seems like more of a toss-up from what I've read, a lot of them seem to have issues with backlight-bleed, more-so than TN panels. It's annoying because a lot of reviews say stuff along the lines of "it's an awesome monitor, if you're lucky enough to get a good one". So here I am looking at these monitors trying to decide if I want to play the lottery with one of these or not.

Monitor shopping is incredibly frustrating.

Can't decide between 1440p or 144hz at the moment. Can't afford to drop six hundred on one with both.

i'd go with 1440p. 144hz would be really cool but i'm fine with 60hz personally. 1440p isn't too hard to run. you'll constantly struggle to get high framerates and even then you might need a g/freesync monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom